Fable - Ask Old Acquaintances, New Opportunities

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Kaeda Wynlen

The Terrorist
Character Biography
Link
Kaeda Wynlen understood that people who hired assassins wanted to keep themselves hidden but this was a little much. She had been directed to a small country home outside of Alliria and she had heard stories about creepy houses in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night…that is how people got murdered. She was the murderer not the victim.

Creepy and middle of no where may have been a tad of an exaggeration because the house was adorable and only a ten minute ride outside the city. It was still night though! That counted!

When she got to the gate, she dismounted and tied the reigns to one of the fence posts. The gate gave a loud creak as she pushes it open and an equally loud thud when it closed. She walked up the stone walkway to the dimly lit stone cottage.

This job better pay well,
she thought with a slight frown.

Kaeda pushed the door open and stepped into the lantern lit main room.

“Hello?”

Lewlisaela Aerdeth

Aerdeth turned his cloaked head towards the door he was sitting in the middle of the room at a table in from of him and another chair across from him. He wasn't alone, Lewlisaela was with him, she was an insurance policy, given the last time he saw Kaeda it wasn't on the best of terms, as the saying goes hope for the best prepare for the worst.

"Long time, no see." He responded to the hello, pulling back his hood to reveal his face and his one good. he didn't know what her reaction would be but if she tried to kill him he wouldn't blame her, he did drop her in a pile of shit by making her a scapegoat. Hopefully, she wouldn't just walk out the door without a word.

Lewlisaela Kaeda Wynlen

Lew rested with her rump leaned against the table that Aerdeth sat at, looking quite relaxed as she all but lounged with her arms crossed loosely over her chest while they waited for their anticipated guest. She wasn't hooded like the man at her side, instead dressed lightly in an open linen tunic over her leather wrapped chest. A hardened leather gorget protected her throat, just in case.

It wasn't necessarily unusual for Lew to accompany Aerdeth on recruitment missions, but he was particularly intent about her being there as back up if things went upside down. That, of course, caused her to inquire about the exact nature of this acquaintance. The young woman nearly smacked herself in the forehead after hearing precisely how things had gone down between the two of them the last time they had met. 'And you think she's going to want to be on our team?' had been her incredulous words at the time.

And here she was.

As the door creaked open, Lew pushed off the table and turned to face the woman fully. Though her posture was relaxed and nonchalant, giving no sign of defensiveness nor aggression, there was that keen bite to her ocean-green eyes. A steady vigilance. Softened by a smile.

"Glad to see you've made it," she sounded friendly enough. Sure of herself, but definitely friendly. "We were hoping we could have a quick word with you before you try to kill him." A thumb jabbed in Aerdeth's direction. "... Which I don't entirely blame you for wanting to do, by the way."

Aerdeth Kaeda Wynlen

Kaeda was torn between killing Aerdeth and walking out as soon as she saw his face. Honestly, killing would have been her number one choice if he had come alone. He may not be affected by her power but her steel would still work on him. Unfortunately, he has (wisely) brought backup.

"Fuck you, Aerdeth!" The glare that was on her face would have struck him dead if that were possible.

She was already reaching for the door she had just shut when the woman spoke.

"We were hoping we could have a quick word with you before you try to kill him."

Kaeda paused with her hand on the door knob. She liked the before you try to kill him bit.

"... Which I don't entirely blame you for wanting to do, by the way."

Now Kaeda let out a low huff as she turned around slowly. She looked at the woman who had spoken. Her blue eyes studying those of the stranger before she finally stepped away from the door and crossed her arms over her chest.

"You have two minutes," she said to the woman.

"Fuck you, Aerdeth, she has two minutes," she clarified before her biggest nemesis could start speaking.

Lewlisaela Aerdeth

• Smug
Reactions: Aerdeth
A brief smile flashed across his serious face at Kaeda's fuck you, it was what he had expected at the very least. he was about to speak up as she reached for the door but Lew got in there before he did. when Kaeda turned after Lew's words, he let out a knowing to Lew seeming to translate to that's my girl.

He was about to speak when Kaeda made her clarifying statement, "Go ahead, Lew" he gestured to her to have a swing at it. he trusted lew, he knew she was capable and he had trained her well, she would make a fine leader one day.

Lewlisaela Kaeda Wynlen

The look she shot Aerdeth was almost smug. Brows raised with a slight wiggle, eyes bright and wide, lips pulled into a toothy grin. Okay, she looked very smug, but it only lasted a short moment before she made a point to sober up a little to address the newly arrived woman with more respect and gravity than she afforded her warden. Kaeda was clearly mad and it wouldn't be appropriate to be grinning like a fool at her.

Right. Two minutes.

Go.

"We would like you to join our family." Right to the point, blunt, no beating around the bush. Lew hated beating around the bush. And then she held her hands out in a placating manner, as if anticipating immediate protest to the very idea of it. "I know, there is a bit of sour history here and it's a lot to ask to set aside, but this is a lot bigger than Aerdeth and you and me. This about Vel Anir. And the militant, bloodthirsty humans that the rest of our kin seem to ignore as a very real threat. We are fighting them, Kaeda."

She punched her fist into the palm of her hand to accentuate her point.

"We could use your talent. And maybe... you could use a family. People to back you up, support you. People to rely on and fall back on when shit gets flying. We can do so much more together than we can on our own. We're going to make a difference."

It was a bit more impassioned than she would otherwise have gone for, but there was a lot to get across in a mere two minute allotment and Lew didn't know Kaeda well enough to tell if she would hold her to exactly two minutes or not. So she stood with her fist still pressed into her palm, watching the other woman with intense anticipation.

Aerdeth Kaeda Wynlen

Kaeda did not even look at Aerdeth again as the girl, Lew, began to speak.

"We would like you to join our family."

Holding up her hand to stop Kaeda's protest made Kaeda smile. The girl caught on fast.

"I know, there is a bit of sour history here and it's a lot to ask to set aside, but this is a lot bigger than Aerdeth and you and me. This about Vel Anir. And the militant, bloodthirsty humans that the rest of our kin seem to ignore as a very real threat. We are fighting them, Kaeda."

Her head tilted to the side and her blonde locks fell to the side a little. Apparently this Lew knew exactly where to hit in order to get Kaeda's attention. She had no doubt that Aerdeth had told his partner about her past with humans. They were a very real threat that would wipe the elves out eventually unless they did something to fight back.

"We could use your talent. And maybe... you could use a family. People to back you up, support you. People to rely on and fall back on when shit gets flying. We can do so much more together than we can on our own. We're going to make a difference."

Kaeda did have a unique talent and she could use a family but she would not admit that part to them. Stupid Aerdeth actually having a good cause that she would be a bitch to say no to. Damn him. He knew how this would go.

She let the silence sit between them for a good minute before she simply said, "fine."

Aerdeth Lewlisaela

To say Aerdeth was surprised when he heard her agree was an understatement, he blinked a few at the woman, tilting his head in near utter disbelief, he thought this was a long shot that she wouldn't be able to get over their little incident. she seemed like the kind to hold grudges.

His eyes narrowed on her "What's the catch?" she had had to some sort of catch, some sort of demand to make before she would join. he didn't believe she would be that easy, Lew was good but not that good.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: ArcaneBumblebee
Maybe Lew was just that good, thanks Aerdeth. Or perhaps Kaeda just wasn't that unreasonable. Her reason for being irate wasn't really unreasonable to begin with, after all. Lew couldn't entirely blame him for the necessity of his actions, as she generally trusted his judgement, but she also couldn't blame the woman for her lasting impression from it.

The simple "fine" had a wide and welcoming smile already growing across Lewlisaela's face and she was offering a hand out, fingers unfurling like a red carpet, to shake the other woman's hand as if that was all that was needed to seal the deal. Family didn't need to be complicated.

Unless Aerdeth wanted to make it unnecessarily complicated with "catches" and questioned motivations.

"You know, sometimes you're a little overly suspicious, Aerdeth. Does there have to be a catch?" Her lips pursed and skewed in some crooked little expression of mild discontent. The hand that had been offered in welcome was waved vaguely at the woman in front of her. "I doubt she carries around a list of demands just in case she happens to meet you again. How about the catch be 'the one-eyed asshole doesn't talk to me'?"

Though the words could be construed as snippy and rude, Aerdeth would know her tone to be anything but. She was cheeky and blunt and had no issue calling the man out on bullshit, but she adored and respected him and most of her sass was exactly what one would expect from family, thick as thieves. Sometimes you just had to give each other shit.

Aerdeth Kaeda Wynlen

Kaeda looked at Lew's outstretched hand and slowly reached her own gloved one to clasp with the woman's. Deal.

Then, of course, Aerdeth had to ruin the nice moment by speaking.

"What's the catch?"

Kaeda brought her hand back to her body and threw a glare at the irritating asshole. She was about to answer him when Lew started to speak again. Kaeda liked her quite a bit already. She was sarcastic and blunt.

"I doubt she carries around a list of demands just in case she happens to meet you again. How about the catch be 'the one-eyed asshole doesn't talk to me'?"

She chuckled before finally answering, "while I do appreciate the suggestion, my catch is more...deadly..."

She let the words hang in the air as she moved across the room to where Aerdeth sat. One glove had come off as she walked. She wouldn't kill him but she would hurt him a little.

"If you betray me again, I will finish what the humans started on your face then leave your body to rot at the gates of Vel Anir," Kaeda's words were laced with ice.

Her hand lashed out and slapped him hard in the face before settling her hand on his cheek. Nothing happened. She did not feel the drain and she frowned.

"What the fuck..." She breathed out.

Aerdeth Lewlisaela

Aerdeth's eyes flicked to Lew at her comments, she was his dissenting voice, the one to question his decisions, everybody needed one to make them think about what they were doing and why they were doing it, that's what Lew was to him. "Nothing is ever free Lew, there's always price attached to everything that's something you should know by now"

His eyes snapped back to Kaeda at hearing her voice, they didn't waver as she approached him, his face almost blank with intelligent eyes that were hard to read. his hand wrapped around a hidden on his leg as she approached but soon let go, he got feel she wasn't going to kill him just show an example so he would let her get the hit in.

His head jerked from the impact, a red hand print of her hand across his cheek, he rolled his jaw he spoke "the first thing you should know about me is that once your in this bad of misfits you are family, I will look out for you like you were sibling, so need to worry about betrayal from me. The second thing you should know about me is that I am a 'null', a 'void', a 'soulless one' whatever other names they've come up for my kind. I have not felt the touch of magic, nor shall ever will, so your magic won't work on me."

He stuck out his hand to Kaeda for a handshake "so do we have a deal?"

Kaeda Wynlen Lewlisaela

Though he did not say much on the matter, the lecturing tone of Aerdeth's few words to Lew did see her sullenly cast her eyes aside and purse her lips to sulk. Aerdeth had lived longer than she had and had experience to back most of his claims up, but she simply was not quite the pessimist that he was.

When Kaeda then advanced on the man she considered family, like an older brother and the closest thing she had to a living father figure, it took every ounce of willpower in her body to stay still and not intervene. Aerdeth didn't look concerned, though he wasn't unknown to stare danger down unblinking, and she knew that trust needed to start somewhere.

Damn was it hard when she actually struck him, though. Lewlisaela flinched and set her face into a grimace, her fists clenched and her whole body went taut, but she kept herself in place and just observed.

After the reactions and exchanged words between the two that followed, it took Lew a moment to realize what had transpired. Kaeda had attempted to use her magic on Aerdeth, and Kaeda was also unaware of the nature of Aerdeth's magical resistance. No, it was more than a resistance. Resistance suggested that it could be overcome. If the magic of the world was a woven web that everyone touched and interacted with, Aerdeth was a hole in it.

"Can't even get a proper ward to stick to him..." Lewlisaela muttered, sounding rather morose about it. "And it's damned terrifying when he gets injured. Healing won't work on him... he's gotta do it the slow and painful way. And you just hope it's something sutures and bandages can fix with time..."

Aerdeth Kaeda Wynlen