Fate - First Reply Crossroads

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Kharia Na'amro

Mercenary
Character Biography
Link
Kharia slipped into the kingdom with nary a sound, nothing seen, nor said. She normally wouldn't have ventured out this far but she needed a change of pace from the stink of slavers...so she came to an Empire that used slaves...smart. It didn't matter much, either way, just as long as she wasn't constantly surrounded by rotten meat anymore (ironically enough), then she could think. Then again, that implied that there was anything worth thinking about, which there wasn't really. Wander, post a notice (which she was doing), wait for work, then rinse and repeat, maybe kill any hunters that came after her. As long as she got paid and got fed, she was...well, not satisfied, but it was a complete trip.

After posting the notice for her services on the board, it was just a matter of waiting for someone to come scurrying along with whatever problem they had, be it bandits or something else. In the meantime, she would be in the tavern, sitting beside the fire, sleeping. She did a lot of that nowadays, cut down on the dead air between tasks that kept her occupied. Maybe one day she would actually try and do something with her life again, but for now, she was content to just wait...

Salazar was sitting in his favorite corner of his regular tavern. It was really only his favorite because it gave him the best view of the room. He enjoyed people watching. Creating narratives for the people that came and went. Although he was usually quickly bored with it, as he always seems to guess correctly. Granted, all these different species and people were still partially exciting for him. He did grow up in a secluded, hidden village. But life had started to grow stagnant, even in this bustling city.

It wasn't too late into the day, when he noticed a mysterious young lady enter and post her notice. "Interesting," Salazar thought to himself. This was someone he couldn't exactly read. He stayed put however, waiting to see what else she did.

Kharia Na'amro

• Yay
Reactions: Kharia Na'amro
The sounds of customers bustling to and fro faded into the background, blending with the lutes and flutes and drums of the musicians giving a little merriment to the oblivious. Kharia felt her brain go quiet, ears perking up as her body, though dead, still managed to freeze a little. She knew this feeling and it never boded well - someone was watching her. Whether it was a random patron or someone looking to elicit her services, she didn't like being watched by anyone.

She opened her eyes and sat up, turning in the chair and scanning the crowd, predatory gaze quickly falling on a lone elf sitting nearby. He wasn't even trying to be subtle, just sitting there staring at her with nary a care to his name. If he wanted to kill her, he would probably want to go unseen...probably just another patron ogling the pretty lady then.
"What?" She asked bluntly, knowing he could hear her despite the distance. "First time seeing a one-eyed lady? Look around and I'm sure some of them will surprise you."

Salazar Abydros

Salazar jumped a bit at being called out as he was. Most people never notice him at all, let alone realize he's watching them. He quickly turned his gaze to the leaky ceiling of the tavern, and began to loudly whistle a tune he was clearly improvising. After a beat, he stole another glance in the girl's direction. She hadn't moved.

He stopped the whistling act, and waved at her. "Oh hey! Ya know, I must have confused you with another one eyed girl I know. Apologies." He gave one of his wide, toothy smiles. Despite his fangs showing, he was always able to keep it from appearing threatening.

He cleared his throat as the awkwardness didn't end there.
"Oh barmaid? Yeah, I'll take another round, please dear." There was no barmaid around. He wondered if that fact was obvious.

Kharia Na'amro

Kharia raised an eyebrow at the little elf as he seemed to just now realize that staring was considered rude. Obviously he had never been called on it before or he was just shit at coming up with plausible excuses, rattling off a line so stupidly on the nose that she might have confused it for sarcasm if he had a decent poker face. She stood up and moved over to the opposite stool, sitting next to him with an unchanged expression.
"You want a helping hand, it must be tiring digging yourself into a hole that deep," She replied, looking around with him as he looked in vain for the barmaid. "Now I may be a little behind on social niceties but, last time I checked, it's rude to stare at someone who clearly wants to be left alone, so what do you want?"

Salazar Abydros

Salazar gave a smirk. This expression always came much more naturally to him. "I mean, you say you want to be left alone, but you also didn't waste any time posting your little ad on the wall OR walking over to chat with someone sitting by himself in a dark corner. Hungry?" He sarcastically offered the girl the scraps of what was once a roast pheasant on his plate.

"I apologize if I seemed rude for staring. I've been pretty bored lately, and people watching just passes the time. Hadn't seen you in here before. What does your post say? Raising money for a school play?" Salazar hoped that was it. He planned to make every showing if it was.

Kharia Na'amro

This jack had some sass to go with his ass.

Kharia held up a finger in a sharp rebuke, tutting at him.
"Walking over to chat with rude creeper who was watching a woman like they were the most appetizing thing in the room, I think you mean," She said harshly, scoffing as she looked down at the offered food. It was an obvious joke, but the ironic thing was that she wouldn't eat it whether it was a joke or not, regardless of condition. It was somewhat difficult for her to digest given that her stomach no longer worked - just one of the many regrets in her life. She was quick to put the thought out of her mind though, dwelling on that didn't do her any good. This was her life now, a Vampire...a gaunt, undead, rotting, sensory deprived Vampire...

She smirked a little at the inquiry, shaking her head with another sigh. "Because I am the perfect image of a local teacher," She joked back, looking back at the ad. "I'm a mercenary, run of the mill sellsword, no different from anyone else, nothing unique about me, so I don't know why I would stand out among all the other killers, thieves, guards, and whores."

Salazar Abydros

"Fair point. Can't argue against that. There was just something different about you, is all." Salazar jokingly retorted with his hands up in surrender. The girl before him had a curious reaction to his joke offer of food. It was something in her eyes that caught his attention. He squinted, if ever so slightly, in curiosity.

"If you were, I reckon there'd be no child brave enough to act up in your classroom." he joked back at the idea of her being a teacher. "Mercenaries are a dime a dozen here, I'm afraid. All the good jobs go to the popular ones, and most of the rest ain't worth the time.... That being said, I MIGHT have overheard Tolbek the innkeep there complaining about a lost shipment or something. If I were looking to get in good with the locals, he might be a good first client."

Salazar pointed to a grizzled, red-bearded man behind the bar. He was clearly well known around here, as he never had a moment to himself. Always laughing and going on with the rest of his bar guests. A drink was always in his hand.

Salazar starting picking at his fangs. He was sure he felt a lodged bone splinter.

Kharia Na'amro