Private Tales Another Day, Another Watch

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Jon

With few crops to harvest as of the recent months, Jon has endured a gradual increase in the amount of time he must serve as a local watchman. Had it been to keep him from boredom? Was he excelling in his new position as a shield before his fellow townsfolk? He did not know, nor would he be able to determine.

All he could do was watch. Look far into the distance where the grassy plains touched the grim sky, and close to the eastern tree line. That's all there ever was to see though. The dull landscape, the dance of the foliage in the wind, a rare caravan traveling to Vel Anir, or perhaps to Alliria.

He sighed to himself. Jon could do his job, as he had done for all this time, but was this all it would be? "Won't something happen at least once?" The young lad called out to the dense overcast dragging across the sky.

Was the whole reason behind his new position not the growing threat of bandits? Would absolutely nothing truly happen?

• Yay
Reactions: Taurus Heallion
Taurus hadn't used her bow and arrow in what felt like ages. It was polished and still fine to the touch but there was some sense of ancientness to it because of it's history. But she didn't worry about that now.

The field that she crouched before was full little rabbits, snakes, and probably a bird or two and she wanted to hunt some. She'd probably give the meat so someone else but she wanted to test if she were any good at it.

Sliding the arrow back, Taurus aimed at a small movement between the blades of grass. Her eyes were trained on the spot and she followed it as it moved further and further. Then she released it.

There was a loud thump and it ended it all. She hurried over and removed the arrow, wiping and blood that got on it. While she did this she happened to look up and noticed that there was someone else in the distance. Taurus reddened slightly and turned away, going back to hunting. But why did she feel more enthusiastic and ready to show off??

• Yay
Reactions: Jon
Ask and thee shall receive it did seem. Jon caught sight of something -- or someone, moving around in the taller blades of grass not too far from the local outskirts. He jumped to his feet, nearly sending the withering stool he sat upon flying three feet behind him.

Would this be his chance? Would he find a band of vagabonds? A wanted thief? A poacher?

He had to know, and with haste he rushed out into the openness he so regularly scanned. Shockingly enough, the rules for when one man spots something had seemingly vanished; Jon giving no warning to his fellows stationed elsewhere.

Quickly, the young lad drew his own bow, having to quell his excitement. If this truly was a threat, he had been disciplined enough by the monthly visiting Anirian Guard meant to inspect him and his fellow sentry. With his free hand he'd pluck the tail end of an arrow from his quiver and slide the shaft against the tattered fabric grip of his longbow.

"This is the local watch," Jon called out, "Who's there?"

Should this be foe, it wouldn't be long before they'd be dodging sharpened arrowheads left and right. In the case of a friend? Well, who knew what might occur?

• Yay
Reactions: Taurus Heallion
"Oh crap," squeaked Taurus, diving bellow the grass. She wished she didn't do that, now her face was covered in dirt. She spat out some and wiped her face with her sleeve, looking back. No one was behind her but that didnt stop her heart from racing. Did that man want to kill her? She crouched close to the ground and looked around. She could smell the dead rabbit she'd hit and the smell of grass all over her. She'd need to wash herself off soon.

Deciding that she didn't want to be hit or stepped on by accident, Taurus slowly got up with her arms raised, turning in the direction of the person who'd spoken. "I just came here to hunt, I didn't mean any harm, sir, " She said in a tiny voice, barely audible. She stared at the ground, her hair hiding her white scar.

She glanced at the rabbit. "I'll just take my meat and go." Her face was slightly pink.

Jon

Last edited:
  • Yay
Had she just admitting to hunting? Here? Jon swallowed a nervous lump in his throat and regripped his bow. "It is against law to hunt here, you've the forests for such a thing." The young watchman continued to wade his way through the grass, closer to the woman hiding from his sight.

"Its poachin'." Jon explained. "Are you hungry? There's plenty an honest meal to eat here... just come out -- and don't bring any weapons up with you."

Confident he had neared the very spot the soft spoken woman was hunkered down in, he halted and drew back his fine arrow. The arrowhead lined up with a very particular dark spot between the blades of grass, as though it were some clothing he had managed to see.

"Now. I will not ask again." He insisted one final time.

Not bring her weapon? She wasn't going to leave her bow and arrow lying around so someone could steal it - especially a watchman. Maybe that's what he planned to do, but he seemed to be trying to just do his job. Taurus didn't want go with this man, she just wanted to head back to where she was camping and leave the area, since it was obviously a big problem. She felt her face redden even more.

"I'm sorry, sir, I didn't know any better - please just let me go, I won't be of any trouble." She gripped her bow tighter and stared at his arrow, then at where it was pointed. She wondered if he would really shoot her for a small mistake. She closed her eyes.

"If you can tell me where I am, then I'll go but I'm not leaving my bow and arrow," she stammered.

Jon

• Yay
"Just leave it on the ground, and I will take it." Jon offered shortly. He did not want to kill anyone, nor injure them if he didn't have to. Alas, law was law, and he had a duty to fulfill.

A sigh escaped the young man and he released his pull on his bowstring. No, he had not fired, more so just relaxed, the weapon still at the ready. "You are west of Alliria, and east of the kingdom of Vel Anir, bordering the Falwood."

There had been a silence that came between the two. Jon swallowed harshly again and stepped forwards. "I can't just let a poacher leave. Come with me and you can work off your debt within a day." His voice had softened, and he seemed to be pleading with the woman now.

"You don't want me to do something we are both jus' gonna' regret."