Completed A Chance Encounter

"Oh really?" Willis raised an eyebrow while the waitress collected he and Ari's empty plates. She was always stubborn when it came to doing things on her own almost as stubborn as Wills. "So that kidnapping attempt on you last was just a figment of my imagination? Sorry Ari, I'm already concerned about your wellbeing and I just want to come with you just to ensure that no asshole would try to take advantage of you."

Ari is a thief and despite being one of the best thieves in The Shallows, her boisterous and drunken nature attracted a lot of enemies. Willis wondered about Qieane his old boss and one of Ari's closest friends, when he left Ari last time she still remained with Qieane even though the Elf had her own ambitions. "Do what?" Willis asked sighing in the process. "Rescue you for the thousandth time? Ari you have your fair share of people who rather want beat you up or have you killed. What do you mean by don't this to you?"

Even though deep down Willis knew exactly what Ari meant the crack in her voice displaying the emotional turmoil she's going through showed. He was truly a piece of shit human being sometimes.

"For the number of times you've claimed that, you sure do disappear often," Arisa remarked. Her gaze followed the waitress as she gathered the plates. In the past, she'd never let food go to waste. Now though... She left enough to feed a person.

Arisa sighed. "Saving my ass doesn't prove that you're any better. Most with our kind of history either tie the knot or go their own ways. You take as much advantage of me as the next person that's come and gone from my life, so drop the chivalrous act."

"Willis," the thief said a moment later. Her sight focused on him again, studying the familiarity of his face. "You know what I mean. I've lost count of how many times we've danced. Of how many times I've cried because of you, too. So for the love of all that is holy, please leave me alone. Let me handle this myself. Please."

There was more to her words than that, but Arisa didn't want to delve into the mushy bits of her emotions. She drained the rest of her coffee from its cup before lifting her hand, waving the barmaid over.

"More," Arisa said. "With a little extra, too."

The barmaid nodded, leaving the pair to fetch the fresh cup. At the bar, beyond the sights of the two former lovers, she topped the beverage with whiskey. As she returned the bottle to its place on the shelf, a cloaked man at the bar emptied the dark phial into Arisa's cup. Clueless, the waitress returned moments later with the drink and placed it in front of the thief.

"Thanks," Arisa said, her voice dry. She reached for the poisoned coffee and brought it to her lips. It was more bitter than she expected, but the burn of the liquor quelled any concern she had about its off taste.

• Cry
Reactions: Smiling One
Anger began to swirl inside Willis but he reigned it in remaining stone faced. What did Ari mean by taking advantage of her? If anything Willis often sought to her for help and helping Ari in times of need. Though the moment he calmed down, Willis began to realize what Ari really meant. The constant fucking and going their separate ways took its toll on Ari. She may come across as a loud drunk but it was really a facade for a more sensitive soul who desired normalcy. It was something that as much as Willis loved Ari, he couldn't provide her that then why does he keep gravitating to Ari then? Desiring her?

"Danced, slept with each other, gone on missions." Willis said wistfully while Ari ordered a cup of coffee with the Ari classic: Doused with Whiskey. "There were too many times where I thought about you Ari," he said with bitterness in his voice remembering his past. "How you saved my life, gave me my new name, helped survive the streets of Alliria. You know how much I value people who show me friendship, do you honestly think that I will abandon you in your time of need?"

The young man didn't want to remember the boy since Ari helped crush him but here he was, his voice laced with emotion pouring out his soul to Ari. It felt embarrassing but nonetheless it needed to be said. "You offered, I accepted you're going to have to deal with that Ari."

Willis was right. He had offered and, like the lovedrunk fool she'd always been, Arisa accepted. The piping hot, black liquid burned her throat as she took the cup and swallowed its contents. Finally, she felt the effects of the alcohol weaving its way through her body.

"If you valued me as much as you say you do, you'll leave now. You'll stand up, rescind your offer, and leave," the thief murmured over the mouth of her mug. She put it down on the table with a thud, her gaze lowering to its contents. "I can't. And I don't want to. This game we play has gotten old, Willis."

That was only the gist of the truth though; Arisa lost her dream of a life that resembled normalcy. Joseph was the last bastion of hope in a world she no longer wanted to walk, and now that he was gone... She almost wished she knew where Djon hid. A little nudging in the right direction and Djon would do what Arisa didn't have the courage to do.

Moisture stung the corners of Arisa's eyes. It was the familiar swell of tears gathering in a bid for freedom. She slid to the edge of the booth and rose from their table, glancing down at Willis. There was a sadness buried in those dark eyes of hers, and it was almost haunting. Arisa wasn't the same woman he'd last seen.

"I'm not ready to travel with you yet. Or even see you, for that matter. I'd like to forget you were even here," she said, leaning toward him. The thief pressed her mouth to Willis's, kissing him with anguished passion. "Not right now."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Smiling One
Willis just couldn't leave Ari, not after helping him survive, not after giving him his name and helping start anew. It just wasn't possible and Ari knew it judging by the tears forming in her eyes, Ari wanted to be free from Willis and he despite not wanting to let go tried so hard to grant her wish but as fate would have it their paths crossed again with Ari and Willis desiring each others touch. Ari's contradictory statements revealed her conflict. "If it's gotten old," Willis asked his voice husky and ragged. "Why offer it in the first place?"

It was then Ari kissed him passionately tears coming from her face. As she released Willis, he gently brushed the tears from her eyes and cupped her soft cheek. "I can't leave you," he whispered his tone desperate. "You saved me Ari you know deep down you don't want me to go. I need you and you need me."

Willis kissed back rubbing her shoulders and pressing his lips hard against hers. "Come on Ari," he said releasing her. "Let's just get this over with."