Private Tales Within our Bones

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Sathirena

Character Biography
Link
In the night, a beckon resonated within the brood of the great blue. That same resonance that was felt when they were still young and within the embrace of the spine. Was that there, that massive skeleton protecting them from the two vile titan dragons truly my mother? What a dreadful day that was...forget! Forget now.
forget
FORGET
F O R G E T

Why could she not stop thinking of them? Why this night?

Seritargas closed her heart to the whispers as hard as she could, yet still, she heard the beckons. Like a bird in Autumn, she could not stay still.
That same, motherly call, infused with magic warm and comforting. Like the energy that nourished her when the world was her eggshell.
And then when it went silent...no.

Snapping her head into the air, only a quick stretch was required before Seritargas stepped out of her alcove. Looking left, looking right, only dead stillness and the low rumbles of resting dragons, both young and old were present. Maybe a little walk will do her good? Better be quiet though.
A foot here, a right paw over a curled tail.
One-two-four-three and her body crossed over into the open where a view of the western sea stretched as far as one could see.
Fresh hair.
Finally.
God Sheketh was hot. Spine cold, spine was good. But the memories, no. Fresh air, cool, good.

»Sister, you too? «
Seritargas turned her head so quickly to face him, it felt as she was accused of sin.
»Uh..me-too? «
In her shadow stood one of her kin, as tall as her, as bright-eyed as her. A dragon born of frost and magic, Narenos.
Shaking his cyan-skinned white-armoured head, he continued leading with his lightly bearded face. Seritargas followed him along the cliffside. »Can't sleep, huh? Apparently, it is just us... «
»Oh I fear, it's not what they, uh, call the 'parting?', « feared Seritargas, noticing a few more of her kin, either waking up or meandering nervously along the fortress bounds.
Truly, raised among the humans, elves and other kin of theirs, she never felt 'truly' authentic.
Here they flew for fun, sharing their gift with the two-legged folk.
Here they lived lives among knowledge and scholarship. Some dragons learning to read and write, speak with humans. But was her kind solitary? Communal?
But I am an animal.
The sentiment not necessarily shared among her other siblings. Narenos loved being book-smart!

»Perhaps? Or not, it does not feel inborn in me, or so I hope. It's a distinct call, it's our mother,« Narenos explained.
»Shouldn't we then gather the rest? «
»I believe not... «
They'll come themselves.
»Should we tell our keepers??? «

Narenos went silent.

Rhybus

Rhybus woke to that noise again. It was like a fly buzzing around his ears, pulling, beckoning and calling. It made him restless, and sleepless. He tried changing position, flopped on his back with his glittering wings spread wide...and almost knocked someone in the face. He climbed to his feet with a rumbling growl; he hated the closed quarters! So little privacy! He shoved the shoulder of the dragon nearest him, and climbed to his feet.

He saw his sister delicately pick her way toward the open view of the ocean. She couldn’t sleep either. Rhybus headed for her, not particularly caring who he stepped on. A chorus of surprised snorts, insulted hisses, and pained growls followed him as he stamped on wings, noses, and toes. He didn’t give half a damn and squared up with any dragon who actually lifted their head at him. Most of the time his posturing was met with grumbles about spoiled hatchlings.

Rhybus rolled his eyes and sat next to his sister. >>Can’t sleep either?<< He asked her. His brother had to chime in, and Rhybus gave him a look. >>Why should we tell the humans anything? We’re not their pets. Look at us sitting around like hogs in a pen. I say we go.<<
Sathirena

Narenos seemed more so annoyed than pleased as Rhybus made his way towards them. But blood is blood.
At least he was not as skittish as Seritargas, who seemed to deny anything relating to the tailless two-legs.
»No, I guess nobody can, « Seritargas muttered back as more and more of their kin gathered.
Some black and blue, others white as snow, some brilliantly cyan or azure. Soon, everyone would be here

»No brother, « Narenos wrinkled his forehead as he splayed his claw upon his own snout. »Would you not tell your own kin if you left without notice? We never were pets, we're all one.« He could be repeating himself forever.

»He wouldn't no, « Seritargas interjected, shaking her head. Rhybus and a few other siblings were distinctly contrarian. Well, she too, but her nature was far more agreeable.

The cacophony of the voices of other dragons soon followed. Though they tried to whisper, it wasn't all that quiet.
»We're leaving? What? I mean I guess...«
»I'm not objecting to that thought, I want to fly! «
»Well, I you guys won't, will write a message, right here, «
»I'd rather just speak to my friends I'd be going if...If we're going... «

Rhybus sniffed at the pair of them. >>You owe these people nothing. We’re not meant to flop around in big piles until the humans come for us with saddles. We’re masters of the sky!<< he said, chin lifted high into the air. This was their chance. Something was calling them away from this place, out to sea and the world! No more struggling for a place to sleep or having to line up for meals. No. He was being free. He wasn’t a hatchling anymore.

Rhybus kicked off with his back legs and strove upward into the sky, streaming ribbon-like through the air. Whatever was calling, he was going to answer. His siblings could be reticent and afraid all they liked. This was his ticket out of here, and he was taking it. He opened his mouth and expelled a gout of bright copper flame, showing off to his siblings nervously gathered on the rocks.

Rhybus was a strong flier despite his age. He would reach this strange call, his ears forward and wind whistling through the spines on his frill.

Sathirena

• Yay
Reactions: Sathirena
Narenos huffed out hot breath as Rhybus took to the air. But of course, there was only one way to combat the tingle...Fly.

»Uhh, wait, wait for me! « Lagged behind Seritargas.
It seemed Rhybus unannounced flight caused a chain reaction and as a flock, all the dragons borne to the great pair of Eretejva tundra rose into the air one by one.

None remained on the ground as their instinct took over and soon enough, they were flying north.
On one side, the chilled Fjirstaf sea, on the other, the mountainous, volatile ridge of Sheketh island.
The dragons, however, flew as if they were clouds.
»You know, fellas, hey, we should maybe preserve our energy, see,« from the midsection called out Reannus, a bit annoyed of course. He was a drake so deep blue it seemed like the midnight sky. Wings cerulean and his horns and belly white like snow.

Rhybus headed up the pack proudly as they flew through the air. He could soar like a kite, stretching his wings out to catch the air. Then all he would have to do is dip a wing here or there, and he would cut through the air on a cushion of updraft.

He glanced back at Reannus. >>Shut it and learn to glide.<< he called back at his brother. He felt like the big sibling, like the leader of this flock. He tucked his front legs in and enjoyed the ride...and his other siblings having to trail behind his wide tail.

Sathirena

»Okay fine, suit YOURSELF, « huffed out Reannus before looking over at his siblings for support.
»SHUT IT YOU GUYS, « rolled her eyes Virvarisa. »Ugh, why am I related to these numb brains, « she then complained to her twin in the same breath.

Narenos, however, nodded and took on the first position in their flight formation. No sense in bickering over something this self-explanatory.
While quite a decent amount of dragons joined in, more of them preferred to show off their flying skills.

Narenos thought he was fit to lead this bunch? Well! Rhybus allowed him, and softly dipped down low as though he were following Narenos’ trails of air. His unique design allowed him to catch little currents like that and ride them rather than fight them.

Rhybus positioned himself carefully, and lowered his chin a bit. He spread his wings wide and slammed upward sharply, the curves of his horns going squarely into Narenos’ gut. If that didn’t knock the wind out of him, Rhybus didn’t know what would.

>>Take that, smartass.<< Rhybus laughed at him, pushing out and ahead of the other dragon.

Sathirena

Narenos exhaled in a oof. Startling his flight for a brief moment before regaining balance.
A brief snarl formed on his face as his usually calm facade got swept away.

»Fight! « ... »Fight! Fight fight fight« - »fight fight fight« »Fight! «
»Fight! « » Fight fight fight fight... « »Fight! « »Fight! «
»Fight! « »Fight! «​
Some of the siblings began to egg the two on.
»I'll hold him and you rub his smug head in, « cackled Reannus teasingly at Rhybus. Of course not without some bantering posture.

Narenos wasn't entirely convinced yet in starting a spat, but even he was, as much as he tried to blend in, a true dragon.

Rhybus laughed at Narenos. He couldn’t resist kicking out his feet at him like a cat would burying waste, and showing off in the sky. >>Youre just mad I took to the air while you were still peeping like a hatchling for your handlers! << Rhybus laughed arrogantly.

He was clearly trying to egg Narenos into a fight, and dropped back to fly next to him. Daring him to do something. >>Please oh please master mount me with those reins, I’m a good little pony!<< he teased.

Sathirena

Narenos tried his best attempt to ignore Rhybus, or at least seem like he was ignoring him.
From now he'd need to keep a close eye on any of his mischiefs, at least from his corner of the eyes, at least counter any further incidents.

Still, he couldn't resist a little Jab. »Or perhaps, you're just jealous. You've got no respect from the others, you've got no-one looking up to you in admiration.«
»Ah and how you squeal for attention like a little piglet in a sty. Pitiful.«

Rhybus

Rhybus laughed at Narenos. >>Remember I led you out of the pen you were so afraid to leave. << he threw back at his brother. He flew ahead of him, making sure to flick his tail tip in his brother’s face as he pulled ahead. Clearly at least some of Rhybus’ arrogance came from a genuine talent for flight. He dipped easily through the air, following the tug on his heart.

How far was it? He hadn’t a clue. The pulling sensation was the only sign. He was just determined to get there first.

Sathirena

• Dab
Pay him no mind...pay him no mind. Anger only fuels him.
While Narenos benefited from his meditative ploy, and the rest of the flock deemed disappointed about the lack of flight entertainment. Some others, however, could not pass up on a chance.

From behind Rhybus, Reannus swooped in, his arms wide apart to embrace his dear brother in a tight, flight constraining embrace.
A little horseplay was in order!

Rhybus laughed at Narenos. Hah! He showed his brother who was boss. He heard Reannus swoop in, but didn’t get a chance to turn or roll by the time the other dragon grabbed him. He squirmed in the other’s arms and nipped his ear; he knew it was all in play. Rhybus loved roughhousing. He kicked like a cat, growling playfully at the other dragon.

>>Get off me, you big lug!<< he laughed at his brother.

Sathirena

Reannus had a shit-eating grin on his face as his brother went in for a nip, He only embraced his brother more firmly and hollered, »Nooo, oh-noooo never my beloved brother, don't you see how much I care about you. «

Like a torpedo, they plummeted from the sky.

Rhybus kicked Reannus a little harder, pulling his wings in so they weren’t wrenched painfully by the dive. He was a bit pissed now; not because of the dive but because it took him away from leading the charge of his brothers and sisters. He hissed at his brother and nipped at him again, a little harder this time. His rabbit kicking was a bit more insistent.

>>Let go, you ass! << Rhybus growled at him.
Sathirena

• Yay
»Ooof, « exhaled Narenos before grinning widely, »N-E-V-E-R «.
Or perhaps that was a bit of a lie, for not that far above the water, he spread his wings and let go of his brother, hoping for a wet surprise.

Eretejvan blue dragons were, gracile swimmers. Being able to hold their breath for up to an hour and slow their heart rate drastically to boot.
But of course, these dragons raised by man's hand up in the mountains never knew what they were missing out on until they resettled to Sheketh, and the call of the Fjirstaf ocean was enamouring. To pay the debt of lacking, days spend wading, splashing and diving could be as long as joy lasted.
And best of all, away from the gamey beasts of the mountains, squid, octopus, whale, tuna, marlin and shark were on the menu!

• Yay
Reactions: Rhybus
Rhybus kicked him one final time, and his brother released him. Unfortunately, far too close to the water for Rhybus to pull up. He plunged into the water, and struggled to orient himself. Now he was angry. He spread his wings underwater, the undulating pattern as perfectly suited to swimming underwater as above it. The water was blisteringly cold! He wanted to be out of it as soon as possible. He eyed Narenos, temper fraying, and kicked out of the water with a powerful downward stroke of his wings.

He hurtled up toward his brother and seized his back foot in his teeth. It wasn’t a playful bite. Rhybus meant it.

Sathirena

All done and forgotten. Narenos thought this would have given Rhybus a good lesson, but...

»AUGHHH, « he let out a yowl as draconic teeth clamped into his foot. That's gonna leave a mark.
»Quit it you sore baby, « he grovelled, trying to kick him off with the other foot.

The rest of the flight seemed to have stopped quite a distance ahead of them, circling around and observing what was going on. They might have just have flown away without them had Narenos not screamed so loudly.

Rhybus immediately released at the kick to the face. His armored nose couldn’t have felt good on that back foot. He chuckled, flapping up and away from Narenos with his nose in the air. It was time to rejoin the flock and gain his place in front of them. He flicked his tail out behind him at Narenos.

>>Don’t be smart at your betters next time<< he cackled, pushing to be at the front of the flock again.

Sathirena

»Ooof, don't let me dunk you one more time, « Narenos snorted, kicking the affected leg briefly in the air. It'll probably be fine by the time they land...
But did he know where they are even planning to land? Or let alone rest?
He joined the flock in rotation, where they'd fly for many more hours, with only the cold wind of the Fjirstaff sea ever going colder proving any reasonable change in environment.

Such ocean was a sight of boredom and monotony, with only the occasionally chitchat among the other dragons or the incessant banter proving any amusement to dragons here.

The sea, however, shifted without little notice for quite a while now.
A large off coloured mass trailing before, behind and beneath them, seeming more akin to a part of the sea than anything not part of water.

Nobody paid it mind.
At least until, like a riverine crocodile at the heads of zebras, a maw at the end of an endless serpentine neck trailed some 400 meters into the air and into the heart of the flock.

One of the siblings, Seritargas to be precise soon realized, held by the tail how futile the loss of flight would even be.
Dragged by it downwards progressively as the pillar of a colossal bobbit deathworm collapsed.
No flap nor kick helped pry the dragon loose, only scream for help she could.

Rhybus