Fae Courts Who let the dogs out?

Threads open to all members of the Fae Courts group

Olyssa

The Beast Keeper
Character Biography
Link
"You did what!?"

For such a small fae Olyssa had a mighty temper. Said temper was never as mighty as when someone had endangered her animals.

"I-I-I... I just thought--"

"Well at least we've established when you went wrong!" she fumed, twisting the snapped collar in her delicate hands. The stable hand audibly gulped as he watched her. Someone else might have laughed at the way her wings made a sweet tinkling noise as they vibrated with her anger or the way thorny flowers were growing in her hair making her the picture perfect garden faerie, the type humans made little statues of to sell at the market. Said someone else would have found themselves suffering one of the unique poisons of the thousand odd deadly flowers that made their home in the Ixchel Wilds. The post of Beast Keeper in the Autumn Court was not a title bandied about lightly. Olyssa, despite her unassuming appearance and demeanour (most of the time), had sharper claws than the creatures she kept for the Erlking in his menagerie.

The stable hand managed to duck as she threw the collar at his face and stormed off down the path of destruction.

It wasn't a hard path to follow from the main stables - though most mortals would probably think of it as a zoo not a stables. Cages had been damaged, earth and trees ripped up and flung in every direction, bodies mutilated. She was just thankful it was the puppies which had gotten out and not their mother, though the bitch was going mental without her young. Adhnúall were ferocious hunting dogs that at a young age knew only one thing; death. They would lead mortals off of cliffs or tear through a village of fae without remorse.

They were her pride and joy.

"I swear, if any of them are hurt I will skin that boy for my new rug myself," she muttered under her breath and set off deeper into the jungle.

Fierce little fangs,
Lost little friends.
Thumping about like a hammer's twangs.
Why leave all in need of a mends?
Stop being a bother.
Come back to your mother.

The Spring Court was home to what many a mortal thought of as a god or demigod. Often when they needed him but hadn't performed the ritual to call for him he would still find his way to them. Like an invisible rope tugging away dragging him where he needed to be.

Quacey could feel the call. He knew not where it was taking him, but he followed all the same. Most often it was mortals in need of aid. Far, far more often it was. But as he came close to where he was being called, he realized this was not the realm of mortals. It had occurred. That rare moment when a fellow fae was in need.

The place was unfamiliar. Deep in the jungle. Belonging to an unknown court. Many sounds came from it. The vibrations of many a living things rushing about upon the ground. The canopy above thankfully protecting his sensitive eyes from the sun, although he kept the cloth over his eyes just in case. Who was in need of him here? How was he going to find them?

A bit lost in thought and following the compulsive instinct, the large duanann accidentally stepped out in front of Olyssa as she flew. The surprise made him stop and brought him back to awareness of the outside realm. He looked about and noticed what he had done.

"Deepest apologizes. I did not mean to step out in front of your path." Quacey said as he gave the small fae a courteous bow. "Is there anything I can do to make up for my transgression or will my apology suffice?"

"What manner of mess has unfolded here...?" A small sigh escaped him at the scene laid to his eyes. It was already so rare that he made trips to the wilds while not on official business, but to see the destruction that had been left in the wake of some great rage, it brought sadness to his chest, well and truly. "Such needless carnage..." He felt the screaming of the uprooted trees that were on either side of him on the path through the thick jungle he walked upon. What could have done such a thing?

It mattered not. There was damage that needed to be repaired, and Nairth could spare not a moment letting the wound upon his Arethil fester. Standing among a patch of ravaged land, he spread his arms wide, golden hues sliding shut as he turned his face towards the sky. The ivory-colored robes that hung from his flesh disappeared into the air, leaving the Duanann bare to the whimpering remnants of life around him. He could feel every blade of dying grass torn from its home, every root buried deep in the ground never to be connected to tree again.

And he would sway, moving his body with the wind as new life sprang forth beneath his toes, grass sprouting as though answering a call to arms, spreading across the bare dirt the creatures had left in their wake. Saplings began to grow slowly where there had once been mighty oaks. This land would heal, in the name of San'Seya.

Nairth's dance led him down the path, his bare steps leaving no indent on the ground beneath him as small, budding flowers trailed along his path. The duanann had his eyes closed, but he smiled warmly at the sensation of life being brought anew, being healed. For even the wreckage would bring about new breath; the destroyed trees would be home for the insects and animals, holes left in the ground would be shelter from harsh weather for those who needed it most.

The trees he passed that were not harmed seemed to join him in his revelry, branches arching to meet him as he moved close, wrapping him in their embrace and leaving strings of leaves to clothe him, covering his modesty to an extent as he completed his task, a breath he'd been holding for minutes finally escaping his lungs.

What he'd done here, on this trail of destruction... It was only a beginning, a platform for the land to step on to begin its rebirth. It would spread though, and in a few months the immaculate beauty would begin to return to this poor place.

Now, he turns to where the carnage had led.

"I musn't let this continue."

He departs in the direction of the carnage, seeking to quell this violence towards his Arethil.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Quacey
"No," the green-haired sidhe snapped and fixed her icy blue eyes upon the worthless rag that had stepped into her path. The longer she dawdled the further away the puppies would go seeking out their next bit of fun. The poor darlings could get hurt by anything in the wilds; other predators, humans, the elves with their silver blades. Her pointed teeth bared just thinking of it and she swept past the distraction in her path without a second thought.

"Spring court clods were meant to be gone by now," Olyssa muttered under her breath to nobody in particular. The Ball had been days ago and the Erlking had given her his word that the visitors would be leaving by the end of the week. All their coming and goings were disturbing the jungle. If she could have done away with all the pomp and circumstance that came with being a part of the court without leaving it she would have done so by now.

• Cry
Reactions: Asa Renwyk
His fellow fae was a rather tart apple. Was she always like this or had something put her into that mood? Quacey was unsure. They had only just met. What he did know was that invisible tug was taking him in the same direction she began to head down.

Without asking a question he followed her down a trail of destruction.

His eyes began to study the path as they walked. Snapped branches. Mauled trees. Torn up dirt. What was happening here? It looked as if some crazed beast had gone to war with the jungle. Had the Autumn Court made an enemy at the ball? Possible. The Courts didn't exactly get along as it was. One wrong word, one tiny insult, and a war could begin.

"What troubles have befallen you?" Quacey asked as he continued following along. "Are you in need of aid?"

Each step he felt the ripples of vibrations from all creatures crawling and walking upon the ground. Fainter ones even came from the trees and stones.

Olyssa Nairth San'Seya

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Olyssa
The Spring Chamberlain continued his path along the trail of destruction, arms outstretched as plant life sprouted anew from the dirt wherever he walked. "My beloved... what has wounded you so?" He murmured to the air, the leaves now covering his body shifting and growing into an emerald robe as his eyes trained on two figures walking ahead of him.

There was little doubt they were seeking the same thing that he was, although they didn't appear to be very friendly with one another. He quickened his pace, locking his hands behind his back as he approached closer to better appraise the situation, his trained eyes picking out one of his compatriots; He knew Quacey of The Spring, though they had not had reason to converse at length with the fellow Duanann. It did pique his curiosity that he was not the only outlier in these lands, however.

"Sir Quacey." He called to the Knight as his stride allowed him to meet with his kin. He had no knowledge of the female, only bowing his head to her respectfully. These were not his lands, and to show disrespect further than being here uninvited would be quite unbefitting of him. He looks between the two of them, an eyebrow raising as he brushed his silvery locks behind his shoulder. "Whatever brings you to these lands? Were you drawn by this carnage as I was?" He inquires with a rather amused smile.

Again, his golden eyes flick over to the Sidhe. She was short, lively, and beautiful. Her emerald hair matched the robe that Nairth wore quite well, he observed. It was a brilliant color. "Ah, I must apologize for our presence here. It seems we were both concerned by this damage..." It was unlikely Quacey would take kindly to Nairth speaking on his behalf, but this Sidhe was angry enough by the looks of her. "My name is Nairth San'Seya, Hand of King Oberon. You seem to have a situation on your hands...

Quacey
Olyssa

• Cthulhoo rage
A piece of black fur waved in the slight jungle breeze. It was barely more than three stands and yet the green-haired sidhe had spotted them as easily as if they had been a purple rose amongst black weeds. She plucked them free of the wood they were trapped against and brought them to her nose for a delicate sniff.

Excitement. Hunger. Fear.

The poor babies! Olyssa's wings fluttered in agitation lifting her off the jungle floor an inch or two before the Spring Clods words brought her feet firmly back to the ground. She rounded on him with her cheeks puffed out.

"I--!" Quacey would be spared the full force of her wrath it seemed with the entrance of some other Spring courier. Olyssa was a strong fae but two against one were not odds she fancied so she bit back her words and settled for a glower levelled at them both equally.

"There is no situation for either of you to concern yourself with," she sniffed and began to walk onwards. "My puppies have managed to escape and are just a little excited at their first taste of freedom. I'll handle it, you can go back to your flower crown plaiting," she waved her hand dismissively over her shoulder without so much as bothering to turn and give them a look.

The big fae didn't let the harshness in all of the winged fae's actions and words bother him. Something was wrong and that likely had her emotions high. Rather typical reaction from those he was drawn towards.... Except he wasn't being drawn to her. The pull was connected to her like a string wrapped around a post to anchor it. She was connected to the true source of the tugging sensation.

Quacey was completely lost in thought as his mind was on his task when Nairth San'Seya arrived. The greeting to him was barely enough to bring his attention back to those around him. His gaze slowly drifted towards the others.

"Lord Nairth." Quacey said back with a nod. After a second's pause he continued. "I was called to this place. There are those in need of my aid."

His attention went back towards his calling.

Distracted he said, "If you could handle it my Lady then I would not be here."

Not realizing how his words said in a rather dry tone might sound to others, Quacey began to continue on following his intuition. As he walked he began to speak to himself.

"Puppies. Lost little welps. Excited they strayed. Fearful they wander."

Olyssa

• Cthulhoo rage
A hand raised, waving down Quacey's reciting of title as a soft smile lingered upon the thin lips adorning his features. "Oh, no need for such formalities Sir Quacey. We are not here in any official capacity, after all. Please, Nairth is just fine." He wasn't sure his words had even reached the Knight, so focused was he on the situation at hand and the winged sidhe woman in such a panic over it.

He understood her dislike for their presence, but she was also the one who had allowed such commotion to draw the both of them here. He of course held his tongue on such an opinion.

He did, however, make his thoughts on the results of this canine excursion known with a chastising bite to his voice, peering at Olyssa with a smile slowly fading. "They've escaped indeed, and took a sizable portion of wildlife with them. It is your duty to look over them, am I incorrect in that assumption?" His hands move to lock behind his back, his head tilting to softly continue, "It is as Sir Quacey stated; were you capable of managing them, this land wouldn't currently be in such disrepair."

Nairth did his best to keep his composure in nearly any scenario, but Olyssa's childish insults were tiresome. Clearing his throat, he followed close behind her as she rushed to the source of her distress. "Come, Sir Quacey. Let us assist." He knew of course that his fellow Fae would do so with or without Nairth's order. He'd always been unusually dedicated to any task laid before him.

Quacey
Olyssa

• Cthulhoo rage
Olyssa pinched the bridge of her nose to keep herself from doing or saying something that might be considered an act of war. Midir was going to be displeased when he heard about the situation enough without her causing a political storm on top of that. Instead she gritted her teeth and spoke through the sharp points with as much decorum as the Beast Handler could manage.

"Unfortunately, I had to delegate command of my own courts creatures this week to deal with the onslaught of other courts'," none of whom seemed capable of handling the simplest of creatures. She had wanted to tear her hair out over the lack of knowledge the Summer courtier had had of a Kelpie. Imagine feeding such a thing steak! No wonder the poor dear had been so ill after the ball. A shake of her head sent hair, feathers and beads shimmering side to side and she quickly picked up the pace, though for the taller fae it probably wasn't that much different to a quick stroll.

The trees around them suddenly seemed to fall away and the group came out on the edge of a large chasm. Vines as thick as a man's waist slithered over the edge and disappeared into the darkness below. Despite the obvious deepness of the pit the other side was not that far away. Larger animals could perhaps clear the jump if they had a good run at it. Olyssa flew across and bent to touch the footprint on the other side cleaved into a large flat rock. Adhnúall left no footprints on grass or soil, only rock.

"Fresh," she murmured to herself. They had to be close now.

• Cthuloo
While the Chamberlain and the Beast Keeper were bickering with each other, the Lord of Twin Home was busy advancing towards those in need. The tugging told him which way to go, not that much tracking was required given the ample amount of destruction.

Just before the others he arrived at the chasm. Where Olyssa could just use her natural wings, Quacey shifted into an eclipse of moths and used his new found ones. His swarm recollected on the other side and merged back into his usual form. With a dust filled step, he resumed his striding pace.

The print in the stone didn't get a look from him. It was not required. He had the ultimate form of tracking right now.

"Do not stop. Do not slow. Keep your eyes on me and simply follow."

He was beginning to speak in rhymes. His focus was so consumed and his habit of constructing poems was triggered. His fellow fae would find he was utterly unresponsive to them if they spoke with him. His eyes, perfectly at home in the darkness of the jungle floor, held firmly to his objective. He would find these lost puppies and help bring them to their homes.

Nairth San'Seya

Nairth could understand the frustration she must be feeling; The Fae were oft participating in gatherings of different courts and groups, and it was easy to forget how fragile the land and beasts they lived amongst could be. If he learned that one of The Spring had been responsible for this, they would have much to answer for come Nairth's return home. To interfere with the order of life, let alone in the region of one not affiliated with you, is unacceptable.

He raised his eyebrows curiously at the deep wound of the earth, that seemed to sink down endlessly into the blackness. As with Olyssa's wings and Quacey's rather creative solution, Nairth crossed the pit. His method was a bit different, however. He raised a hand and waved down to the thick vines that lined the chasm, and in response they shifted, twisting and growing upwards to form a bridge from end to end across the ravine. He walked across it quickly, keeping pace with his kin.

Quacey had begun to recite rhyme, but Nairth had expected this behavior. Like Nairth himself, Quacey was once a very outgoing and social creature, before some unknown event had made him a deal more timid and reserved. It was none of Nairth's business; the humans had a saying about throwing stones in glass houses, he believed.

The signs that they were quickly approaching the source of his damage were increasing in frequency. Olyssa had seemed to share in the sentiment, and Nairth could only question her as she inspected a footprint. "I understand you've been stretched thin, but what are we dealing with, exactly?"

Quacey
Olyssa

• Popcorn
Olyssa rolled her eyes as the rhyming chit's back but she continued to examine the footprint a moment longer. A lot could be told about an animal's welfare from a print. For example, this one told her that one of them had a limp no doubt caused by trying to jump the chasm in the earth and not quite having the strength to make it as surely as the others. Harmmongrel. The runt had never quite been able to keep up with the others no matter how hard he tried. She gave a sigh and got to her feet just as Naith joined them. Anger was quickly giving way to concern and softened her measures morosely as she walked by his side.

"Adhnúall's," she explained without her previous venomous bite. The legendary black dogs were invisible to the mortal eye unless under the full moon. When the Wild Hunt had first been born all those years ago it was the Adhnúall that had been the jaws of justice on every creature who did not obey the laws of balance. In recent Ages they had become almost extinct as humans had discovered the trouble iron caused them, but with Olyssa's careful breeding programme their numbers had begun to climb.

"They're only ten weeks old, they shouldn't have been separated from their mother but apparently there was some Chimera who needed its own pen so they thought to move the pups..." she yanked a frustrated hand through her hair. "Until they're bonded they are wild things, they shouldn't have been moved without me," her jaw clenched and the muscle there feathered with her fury.

The shepherd of the lost did not listen to the conversation of the two behind him. He could not. The calling had grown stronger. It was like a ringing in his ears that blocked off all other sounds now. He had not ignored it much recently. Why was it becoming so overwhelming?

The duanann just kept on walking where the tug pulled. He had no doubt that the skills of Sidhe when it came to tracking was greater than his own normally. Stopping to listen to her and letting her take the lead was the most respectful and natural course of action. But he was a duanann and had been born with the blessed curse of dominion over the lost. It would give him no quarter in moments such as this and he was forced to do as it willed....

The call split into many....

Quacey stopped as soon as he noticed. Why had this happened? There was several possibilities. No time to try and think through them all. Now was best to rely on the skills of others to narrow it down.

The fae turned towards Olyssa and said, "My lady, did the puppies split up here? I can not tell. I'm being every direction aside my rear."

Nairth San'Seya

• Thoughtful
"Adhnúall's..." Nairth repeated, tucking a hand under his chin and humming. He'd only encountered them a scant few times, and he was well aware of their dwindling population. It was in no small part thanks to the burgeoning human population that their numbers began to fade. "That does explain the scope of the destruction, although I admit I wasn't aware there was a husbandry program underway..." They were from different courts, but the cause was one that lined up nicely with Nairth's personal beliefs. He peers over at Olyssa from the side of his vision, nodding slightly in approval. "Very noble. A program worth salvaging."

He'd made the same observation that she had; one of them was somewhat wounded. Of course, only their proper handler could make the connection as to which one that was. Still, even as the tracks that led them offered clues, they also could be deceiving. It may seem as though following the footprints is the best option, but Nairth narrowed his eyes at Quacey's inquiry regardless.

The Duanann stopped, looking over to Olyssa once more with a curious expression adorning his smooth features. "What do you think? Is it possible that they split up? It seems as though it could be a stretch, but Sir Quacey's intuition can quite often be trusted. He has a reputation for his connection to our world."

Turning back to Quacey, he calls to him. "Stand back from the tracks a moment, if you would." Nairth raises a hand, outstretching his fingers and twisting his wrist in a stirring motion. A rush of wind is felt, twirling and spinning around them as San' Seya disturbs the air, in an attempt to dredge up the scent the animals may have left.

Olyssa
Quacey

• Stressed
A swell of pride welled up in her chest at Nairth's praise though it was quickly dashed by her irritation at being proud over a Spring Lords comment. Her wings fluttered against her back with her conflicting emotions. It was fine to be proud of her work, but she should feel proud because of the work itself and not a random compliment. Though surely it was fine for people to pay her the compliments she deserved? Well, she wasn't doing it for recognition! She was doing it for the animals. The animals were what mattered, not other fae. She gave a small sniff but was stopped from saying anything by the odd lords sudden stop. All thoughts of herself disappeared as she looked around for a sign of what could have caused them to split up. Naturally, they were a pack animal and would have stayed together for strength.

"They're running," she looked as though she might be sick or pass out, not necessarily in that order either. "It's a Dullahan," she pointed the hoofprints that the wind uncovered. They were far larger than a normal horse's should have been and there were scythe marks in the nearby trees. Her pups had escaped but only just. "It's going to kill them!" her hands fisted in her hair with her grief. The Dullahan were fae that existed on the edge of the fae and were a law unto themselves most times. They answered the call when the horns were blown for the Hunt but in between they satisfied their needs by hunting prey in the jungle.

• Scared
Zermelo had lost his head many years ago, but had never before someone else with the pleasure. Yet today he saw, or rather sensed, another headless being on a titanic horse slashing about with a scythe. It pierced the trees, on the hunt after a brood of Adhnúalls. Quite an intriguing scene, and one he'd not have witnessed without his father's pact.

Taking the scene in his memory, Zermelo continued onwards, left of the trail. His master had him attend the Autumn Court Ball, but it was now time to return home. Zermelo took four steps before he felt the presence of more. They were magically gifted, intensely so, but familiar. Other Fae? Perhaps the Fae were chasing the Dullahan who were chasing the Adhnúalls. Which, given Zermelo's lack of head, could cause for some misunderstanding.

What a pickle.

Zermelo decided the best thing to do was to catch up to the other Dullahan, so that the others might see he was not their target. Bringing his hand to a fist Zermelo borrowed a portion of his father's strength to summon a cloud at his feet. Jumping on his beckoned it forward, after lost pups and their hunter.

A frustrated frown and "Hrmmm" came from Quacey at what Olyssa had to say in response. While the puppies had not scattered yet, it seemed he had sensed their desire to do so. Their emotions were understandably wild with a dullahan after them. It was good he was with this beastkeeper. His own domain was as wild as the jungle with rules as fluid as water. How easy it was for the guide to get lost as well.

The knight held out his hands towards Olyssa and Nairth San'Seya . As he did he said, "Please take my hands. I wish to hasten our steps."

With that he waited. They could take his offer or they could not. It was not for him to know. He could be alone in his next action. Once they did make up their minds on what they would do however he would bow his head and close his eyes.

"Dark is the path in the night. Hastened, unhindered we must advance. Guide our steps in this flight. Leave us not in a trance."

With this it was as if the shadows around them would begin to wrap around Quacey and any he touched like a cloak. They would feel an energetic sensation fill them. And when they began to move their steps seemed to cover great distances so long as there was unbroken shade between where they were and where they wanted to be.

Zermelo

Nairth released a sigh, seemingly in tandem with Quacey's hum. "Dullahan. Of course." The distaste in his voice was palpable. Nairth dealt with his fair share of Dullahan, their needless and oftentimes wasteful hunts had long enraged him. Beasts of a peaceful nature, that helped nature to thrive had fallen before their boredom. They took lives indiscriminately to sate themselves and to find them here only gave the Duanann more reason to remain and assist with this issue.

Olyssa was despondent over the realization, and why shouldn't she be? The Dullahan likely were indeed closing on on the poor creatures they hunted, and without a quicker mode of travel, the silver-haired fae doubted they would make it on time to mount any sort of rescue. Perhaps breaking a few unspoken boundaries, he would reach over and offer the Sidhe's shoulder a soft pat of comfort.

Quacey turned to them, the Knight extending his hands and requesting their own. Nairth didn't know exactly what he intended, but after vouching for Quacey's ability only moments earlier, it would have been quite rude of him not to do as he asked.

He would remove his hand from Olyssa and place it gently into Quacey's. Turning to Olyssa, he would nod his head towards the Knight. "If you want a chance at getting ahead and rescuing them, I think it's wise we let him try this."

Olyssa
Quacey

Zermelo

• Stressed
She didn't like it. Not one bit. For what felt like hours - days even - she stared at the outstretched hand and the two Duanann staring down at her with expectant faces. She was a stubborn little sidhe and would have much rather done the whole thing her own way but the headless huntsman had put a thistle in her gears. Her pride might have taken a dent from her next actions, but it was a sacrifice she was begrudgingly willing to take for the sake of her pups.

With a deep inhale as though taking the offered hand was like reaching into a basket full of viper, Olyssa reached out and took the offered hand.

The fae would find their steps, and wing beats, through the shadows to cover more distance than it should. It was as if they were wearing 7 league shoes. Possibly the distance was shortened for them, or perhaps they were stretched. When they found themselves in the warm light of the sun however their steps returned to normal. No doubt they could feel the whiplash sensation of coming to the pace of a snail in those moments.

Quacey as the caster of the spell did not honestly know. He just chant the poetic spell and could feel bits of his energy being drained away as he and his companions advanced towards the puppies.

Running in the direction he could feel that tug pulling him in, Quacey said in a calm tone, "My Lady, would you mind telling us about your puppies? What they like. What they hate. Coming to know them may help us calm their fright when we arrive."

While he was more attuned to their emotional states due to their "lost" status right now, he knew that Olyssa would be just as aware of how terribly frightened they were. Also she was flustered herself and he thought it might help calm her as well to speak of them. At the very least she would know he, and hopefully Nairth San'Seya as well, were actually here to help.

Zermelo