Fable - Ask When Peace like a River

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Teshara Elvin Cardinal

Farmer, Hunter
Character Biography
Link
Marrowa Village, a backwater town in the foothills of the eastern Seret Mountains under the rulership of an Elbion noble.
They are a simple hardworking people, major exports including crops and livestock, ores from the mountain mining and various local crafted trinkets. This village often serves as a resting spot for adventurers and monster hunters traveling through to the Seret Mountains to seek their fortunes, and thus many adventurers choose to winter here or even choose to retire and settle down in this quiet little town.
The people who lived inside the village numbered but a few, most people have settled down in homesteads in the countryside outside the village limits.
With the coming of winter the fields are empty, the harvests all done and stored away and the animals grazed and fattened for the long winter cold.

Most people about in the village would be stocking up on last minute supplies before the merchants took their caravans back to winter in Elbion, or doing some sort of chore or another.
Teshara was outside the elder's house, chopping firewood as a favor to the old man. Even with the colder morning temperatures that would cloud your breath he didn't need a coat for such physical work that kept him warm, and he had a lot of firewood to chop. He even enjoyed the way his cloudy breath would twist about in the air as he cut through it with the downward swing of is arms, or when the chilled breezes that would come to cool him as he positioned large pieces of wood and chopped them down to smaller logs that would fit in a fireplace.

But, as was expected in small villages, newcomers were always instantly spotted and Teshara easily spotted this one. He could just look out over the fence and see the main gate in the palisade, the elder liked the view from his porch where he could watch and see anyone who came in or out of the village and he often spent his days doing just that. Teshara could easily see the arrival of a caravan. There were quite a few people with the caravan looking to sell some last minute products, but two stood out to Teshara; a young woman with blond hair and fair skin, not the usual sort of breeding one might find in these parts, he was told that his father was blond with fair skin but he couldn't tell now through the sliver, of course all sorts of people have settled here and not all of them human either.
Teshara watched the woman briefly with mild interest in new faces, but just as anyone else would have he turned to go back to his work when suddenly he noticed... Something off about her, something which grabbed his attention and caused him to do a double-take to examine her again... She seemed normal, nothing really out of the ordinary, but he felt uneasiness growing within him and something about this girl warned him that he needed to keep his distance.

He breathed a silent prayer before forcing his eyes away and back to the piece of wood he was working on.
"... Lord... Were you trying to show me something just now?"
His father, a former adventurer who settled in the woods a few miles outside the village to raise a family and a farm, had the ability to sense or even sometimes see spiritual entities. Teshara admired that about his father and hoped that he would one day have a the faith to have such an ability as well, but in instances where spiritual entities were involved he found he could only barely exercise an awareness of such things, being only able to tell that something was off but not the details or anything else about it. In a person who was possessed by evil spirits it was like he simply knew that something about that person was evil and that he should stay away.
With this girl... It was much the same way, and yet not quite. He didn't know what to make of this mixed message he was getting so he prayed while he worked.

"I see many people possessed by darkness or demons passing through here, or even the false gods... What do you want me to do?"
He swung down and easily split the block of wood down the middle... And the answer came almost overwhelming in his mind.
"Speak with her."

Eilerias

Last edited:
Eilerias had been walking for quite some time. City to city. Village to village. She wasn't entirely sure why, though two voices echoed in her head as she walked. They were the voices of Ogden and Lidia. They told her she had changed. She thought she was fine. They said she wasn't herself anymore. She hadn't been for a long time- well over a decade. They said the shadows changed her for the worse.

For years she had tried to maintain a balance between the light and shadows. The powers passed down from generation to generation and the blessings she received from her god, Sol'Nityr. It only made her weak. She could only ever be average with the shadows and her healing. With Lidia around, her healing abilities were no longer the strongest and her shadows proved to be much more useful for the Cherry Rose.

She began to nourish them, to encourage their growth before the birth of her first child. Unbeknown to her, the shadows had never been dormant or harmless. They had been growing since she was a child, an integral part of her being. Every lie she told, everything secret she kept only fed them. Slowly they had been taking over, conquering her light and filling her with darkness she could no longer hide.

She was encouraged quite some time ago by those she considered friends to seek help from the College of Elbion. Surely if anyone was to know of a way to suppress the shadows, it would be a highly educated scholar from Elbion, right? Still, she had quite a long way to travel and even with her fur-lined cloak, the bitter chill was too much to handle. She would have to settle in this town, Marrowa Village, for a few days while she adjusted to the weather.

It was a quaint town, nothing like the crowded city of Alliria. It was rather peaceful and quiet in comparison. It was almost enjoyable as she wandered through looking for the inn. She noticed a man stare at her briefly before looking away and decided he looked approachable enough, even while swinging an axe.

"Pardon me!" She stepped up to him, looking him over with eyes that lost their soft golden hue, replaced by the deep purple of her shadows. The rest of her face held its usual soft features accompanied by a friendly, harmless smile. "I don't suppose you can help me...I'm looking for an inn or somewhere to stay for a few days. I'm on my way to Elbion!"

"Pardon me!"
Teshara stopped in the middle of setting up another log and blinked in surprise when he heard a voice behind him.

The Creator really had a sense of humor. As if an all too rare conviction of the spirit wasn't enough, now the girl had just taken care of the hard part in a conversation, starting one.
He couldn't help but smirk upwards a moment before turning to face her, setting his axe to the side.

"I don't suppose you can help me...I'm looking for an inn or somewhere to stay for a few days. I'm on my way to Elbion!"
He met her smile cordially with one of his own, but the change in her eyes didn't go unnoticed. "Welcome to Marrowa village, miss. A dwarf called Sven Deepbarrel runs the King of Cups Inn, just down the road near the town square."
He walked across the yard to the small picket fence that separated them, wiping his hands off on his trousers.
"If I may ask, where did you travel from? Most people traveling through here to Elbion come from Ravencrest or some of the other settlements or towns around the Seret Mountains."
Now he got a good look at her he silently began praying in his mind, that darkness wasn't dormant, it was stirring. Plus something else, something smaller and even darker, something slowly growing.

• Bless
Reactions: Eilerias
He met her smile cordially with one of his own, but the change in her eyes didn't go unnoticed. "Welcome to Marrowa village, miss. A dwarf called Sven Deepbarrel runs the King of Cups Inn, just down the road near the town square."

"Oh you don't have to call me Miss! Eilerias is just fine." She extended a hand to shake, a little awkwardly. It had been quite some time since she had met a stranger that wasn't at the end of a dagger or inside a brothel. It was nice, wholesome even. "Sven Deepbarrel, hmm." A small laugh escaped her mouth. "If he's anything like an old dwarf friend of mine that name will suit him well. Isn't it something....how they can just drink and drink and drink and they don't get sick! They just keep going!" She rambled, watching as he set the axe down and made his way over to her. He looked like a nice man, the kind Alliria would eat up if given the chance. He certainly looked like he had never left this small village- not that it was a bad thing. Deep down, Eilerias would hope no one truly wanted to live in a place like Alliria. She would give everything to live somewhere that seemed safe, like this village.

He walked across the yard to the small picket fence that separated them, wiping his hands off on his trousers.
"If I may ask, where did you travel from? Most people traveling through here to Elbion come from Ravencrest or some of the other settlements or towns around the Seret Mountains."

"Alliria. The outer city in Alliria." She answered, perhaps a hint of embarrassment in her voice. "If you've heard of the outer city, I'm sure its not for good reasons. It's a rough place for anyone to live." She paused for a few moments before trying to change the subject. "Have you been to Elbion before? I hear they have the best mages in Arethil! Though, I think I've got myself a bit lost on the way...." She pulled out her map which was nearly illegible after quite a long time traveling. It was torn, discolored, and quite crumpled by this point.

Last edited:
"Oh you don't have to call me Miss! Eilerias is just fine." She extended a hand to shake, a little awkwardly. It had been quite some time since she had met a stranger that wasn't at the end of a dagger or inside a brothel. It was nice, wholesome even. "Sven Deepbarrel, hmm." A small laugh escaped her mouth. "If he's anything like an old dwarf friend of mine that name will suit him well. Isn't it something....how they can just drink and drink and drink and they don't get sick! They just keep going!"
He chuckled as he crossed the distance and shook her hand firmly with his calloused hand. "A pleasure to meet you, Eilerias. I'm Teshara. Sven can certainly outdrink anyone I've ever met, you're right about that! But he keeps things pretty quiet and cordial, it's a nice establishment and he keeps it that way."
She was rambling, which was normally a sign of nervousness. He wasn't the most confident either, outsiders brought good business and coin, but usually more trouble than good. He could talk to these people which he'd known his entire life, but talking to strangers especially of the opposite gender were outside of his expertise.
He would need to rely on the Spirit to guide his words, because he couldn't trust his own mouth to say the right thing at the right time.

"Alliria. The outer city in Alliria." She answered, perhaps a hint of embarrassment in her voice. "If you've heard of the outer city, I'm sure its not for good reasons. It's a rough place for anyone to live." She paused for a few moments before trying to change the subject. "Have you been to Elbion before? I hear they have the best mages in Arethil! Though, I think I've got myself a bit lost on the way...." She pulled out her map which was nearly illegible after quite a long time traveling. It was torn, discolored, and quite crumpled by this point.
He blinked in surprise and his eyebrows shot up. He examined her map with the same incredulous expression.
"Alliria? I've heard of it from travelers like yourself, though I've never been yet. And you're traveling to Elbion? Miss, you've missed Elbion by nearly a weeks travel! It's back East along the rout you came!"
He pointed out where Elbion should be located on the map and traced his finger along the road she must have taken to get to Marrowa. She'd have had to take a long looping road to go around Elbion and arrive in Marrowa without passing through her destination. Trade routs between the cities were well used.
"Elbion certainly is an impressive place, I've brought goods to market for two years in a row now! And you heard right about the mages, the College is massive! It's actually it's own sovereign territory within the city."

He looked her up and down again, not lecherously, he didn't see her like that. But in addition to her darkness she didn't seem to have it all together, maybe even a few marbles loose. Her demons had a good foothold in her life, they could certainly turn someone upside down, make their lives miserable.
"You can rent a room at the King of Cups, if you would like I can find you a better map..."
He paused as he felt the urge to bring up the important conversation, and he felt his chest tighten up as panic gripped him in that instant. He wasn't used to the spirit moving through him like this.
"I... um... *Ahem*... Well, you see... I was ummm, convicted to speak with you, actually, when I saw you enter town..."
He took a deep breath and shifted his jaw to remind himself to relax. He visibly did so and tried again.
"I'm a follower of the creator, and my God has determined that I should speak with you. Perhaps he thinks I can help you in some way?"
He managed a somewhat confident smile, though a few of his facial muscles were still twitchy from his nervousness.

• Bless
He chuckled as he crossed the distance and shook her hand firmly with his calloused hand. "A pleasure to meet you, Eilerias. I'm Teshara. Sven can certainly outdrink anyone I've ever met, you're right about that! But he keeps things pretty quiet and cordial, it's a nice establishment and he keeps it that way."

Eilerias was surprised at his rough hand as it met hers in a firm shake. "Teshara....It's nice to meet you." She nodded in acknowledgment as he continued to speak. "A quiet and cordial dwarf? That's new to me. I'll certainly have to have a drink with him during my stay." She didn't drink often, if at all these days. There was perhaps a time when she enjoyed losing control of herself over bottles of expensive wines and other substances. Now, she preferred to be the one in control. She, or rather the shadows, craved the powers she got while using others for her own selfish desires.

He blinked in surprise and his eyebrows shot up. He examined her map with the same incredulous expression.
"Alliria? I've heard of it from travelers like yourself, though I've never been yet. And you're traveling to Elbion? Miss, you've missed Elbion by nearly a weeks travel! It's back East along the rout you came!"

"You've got to be kidding me." Eilerias eyes went wide and she looked around. "I swear I was following it perfectly fine! How could I have missed an entire city?"

He pointed out where Elbion should be located on the map and traced his finger along the road she must have taken to get to Marrowa. She'd have had to take a long looping road to go around Elbion and arrive in Marrowa without passing through her destination. Trade routs between the cities were well used.
"Elbion certainly is an impressive place, I've brought goods to market for two years in a row now! And you heard right about the mages, the College is massive! It's actually it's own sovereign territory within the city."

She watched him point out locations on the map and trace around, though he wasn't entirely sure where he was tracing going with this. Sure, she had planned the trip on a whim, but she was sure she was on the right path. She looked at the other locations she had checked off on her way here. How could she have screwed up so badly?

"Really? It's own sovereign territory? That's pretty amazing, isn't it! I sure hope they live up to their reputation in Alliria. I really need their help." Her words got quieter as she finished her sentence.

"You can rent a room at the King of Cups, if you would like I can find you a better map..."
He paused as he felt the urge to bring up the important conversation, and he felt his chest tighten up as panic gripped him in that instant. He wasn't used to the spirit moving through him like this.
"I... um... *Ahem*... Well, you see... I was ummm, convicted to speak with you, actually, when I saw you enter town..."

"That would be amazing, Teshara. I really appreciate all you're doing for me, a stranger." She noticed his strange pause before he continued in a less than certain voice. Was he nervous? Insecure? Eilerias was unsure, but something in her found his emotions charming.

Our next victim?

No. He's an innocent man. He's only trying to help me.

He would make a nice toy for us to play with. He's afraid of you. He's an innocent boy. No one would notice he's gone. He would feed us well...much better than all those...other men.

Stop! Please. He is innocent. He has done nothing wrong.

We'll see.

Eilerias argued with the whispers around her, silently begging for them to shut up so she could listen to the man speak. "Hmmm? Speak with me? About what?"

"I'm a follower of the creator, and my God has determined that I should speak with you. Perhaps he thinks I can help you in some way?"
He managed a somewhat confident smile, though a few of his facial muscles were still twitchy from his nervousness.

Eilerias cocked her head, a little confused. "The creator? Who is that?" She asked. "You've already helped me so much, what more could you possibly do?" The corners of her mouth twitched into a small smile before speaking in a voice that had less innocence to it as her shadows came through. "Let me thank you first at least before you help me with more. Come with me to the King of Cups. I owe you a drink."

"You've got to be kidding me." Eilerias eyes went wide and she looked around. "I swear I was following it perfectly fine! How could I have missed an entire city?"

She watched him point out locations on the map and trace around, though he wasn't entirely sure where he was tracing going with this. Sure, she had planned the trip on a whim, but she was sure she was on the right path. She looked at the other locations she had checked off on her way here. How could she have screwed up so badly?

"Really? Its own sovereign territory? That's pretty amazing, isn't it! I sure hope they live up to their reputation in Alliria. I really need their help." Her words got quieter as she finished her sentence.
He nodded along, smiling. "Yeah, I got to see the outer wall once, it's a massive place! You can see its towers from anywhere in the city! It's protected by magic and it has a pretty strict enrollment process, it's mostly full of wealthy nobles and such that can afford the enrollment fees."
As her words died he felt confirmed that she was indeed seeking help for something, probably in relation to this peculiar darkness oozing off of her.

"That would be amazing, Teshara. I really appreciate all you're doing for me, a stranger."
He shrugged good naturedly.
"No problem, I'm happy to help. With winter coming on we get fewer travelers, think of it like a tourist rush!" He grinned smugly.

"Hmmm? Speak with me? About what?"

Eilerias cocked her head, a little confused. "The creator? Who is that?" She asked. "You've already helped me so much, what more could you possibly do?"
"Well, the Creator is exactly that... The one that created all things. I think He wanted me to listen to you, if he wanted me to help you in some way or if he just wanted me to tell you about Him, I am unsure, he only convicted me to talk to you and I hope he will guide the rest."
The corners of her mouth twitched into a small smile before speaking in a voice that had less innocence to it as her shadows came through. "Let me thank you first at least before you help me with more. Come with me to the King of Cups. I owe you a drink."
He was observant enough to notice the slight change in her demeanor... And he knew what that look meant. He gulped a knot that formed in his throat, unsure of what to do in the face of a woman suddenly staring at him like a three coarse meal... It wasn't that he was afraid of going to the King of Cups, Sven knew him and it was a friendly place, he would sometimes get dinner there if he was in town... If Sven saw him going up to a room with a strange woman, questions would certainly be asked, he'd never been that sort of person and this was a small enough place where everyone knew it.
"I uh... I don't drink..."
That was his regular response but it seemed pretty lame coming out. He took another deep breath and just relaxed, let the spirit guide him in the way he should go.
"I'll bring a map to the King of Cups, just tell Sven I sent you and he'll take care of you. Room and board and such."
He took a single step backwards, subtly increasing the distance between them.
"The village elder usually has a few extra maps stashed away, he lives right here, I can catch up with you shortly."

• Devil
"Yeah, I got to see the outer wall once, it's a massive place! You can see its towers from anywhere in the city! It's protected by magic and it has a pretty strict enrollment process, it's mostly full of wealthy nobles and such that can afford the enrollment fees."

"Really? How does one get inside it's walls then?" She asked curiously, "Please don't tell me I need to be accepted to the college in order to speak with some of the mages. I've traveled too far to be turned away."

He shrugged good naturedly.
"No problem, I'm happy to help. With winter coming on we get fewer travelers, think of it like a tourist rush!" He grinned smugly.

Eilerias chuckled in response. "A tourist rush? I think Alliria is pretty much in a rush all the time. It's always so crowded." She sighed. "But its dreary there. The waters bring pretty bad weather. It must be nice to have fresh air and trees all around."

"Well, the Creator is exactly that... The one that created all things. I think He wanted me to listen to you, if he wanted me to help you in some way or if he just wanted me to tell you about Him, I am unsure, he only convicted me to talk to you and I hope he will guide the rest."

"Hmm...how do you know he created everything? Do you hear him?" She asked, teasing him as though she thought he were crazy. If he knew the voices she heard, telling her to kill him or sleep with him, he'd likely think she was the crazy one. "Sounds a little odd to me, but you can tell me all about him at the King of Cups." Her shadows continued to try and coerce the young man into coming with her.

"I uh... I don't drink..."
That was his regular response but it seemed pretty lame coming out. He took another deep breath and just relaxed, let the spirit guide him in the way he should go.
"I'll bring a map to the King of Cups, just tell Sven I sent you and he'll take care of you. Room and board and such."
He took a single step backwards, subtly increasing the distance between them.
"The village elder usually has a few extra maps stashed away, he lives right here, I can catch up with you shortly."

"Oh..." she responded in disappointment. "At least let me repay your kindness in some other way....I can buy you a meal or desserts! What do you fancy?" Her voice shifted back to the nervous half elf's natural tone midway though the statement.

"Yes, of course...I'll see you there? Promise?" She noticed him backing away but decided not to get closer. He seemed uncomfortable from something the tiny stranger had said or done. "Thank you again."

She turned and made her way to the town square, quickly locating the inn and making her way inside. It wasn't anything like the Raven Club, but it was nice. She scanned the room and found the dwarf Teshara had spoken about. "Sven?" She asked, "I need a room for a few days. Teshara sent me, he said you could help."

"Really? How does one get inside it's walls then?" She asked curiously, "Please don't tell me I need to be accepted to the college in order to speak with some of the mages. I've traveled too far to be turned away."
Again he shrugged, "I think you can make an appointment to get in and speak with a maester, but I'm not sure of the entire process."
Little did he know, by this time the college wasn't even anchored to the earth anymore, following the disasters that struck Elbion.

Eilerias chuckled in response. "A tourist rush? I think Alliria is pretty much in a rush all the time. It's always so crowded." She sighed. "But its dreary there. The waters bring pretty bad weather. It must be nice to have fresh air and trees all around."
He nodded, looking around at his home. "Yeah, you can't beat the fresh mountain air. Cities are fine, but the air and the people just aren't the same."
"Hmm...how do you know he created everything? Do you hear him?" She asked, teasing him as though she thought he were crazy. If he knew the voices she heard, telling her to kill him or sleep with him, he'd likely think she was the crazy one. "Sounds a little odd to me, but you can tell me all about him at the King of Cups." Her shadows continued to try and coerce the young man into coming with her.
"He shares his message with the world through a book. It describes what The Creator did, and it was written by people who spoke with God and were inspired to write what he said.
As for whether I hear him... Let's just say that when he wants something done he leaves no room for doubt."

"Oh..." she responded in disappointment. "At least let me repay your kindness in some other way....I can buy you a meal or desserts! What do you fancy?" Her voice shifted back to the nervous half elf's natural tone midway though the statement.

"Yes, of course...I'll see you there? Promise?" She noticed him backing away but decided not to get closer. He seemed uncomfortable from something the tiny stranger had said.
He chuckled nervously, "Really, there's no need, Miss Eilerias. No payment is necessary, it's a pleasure to be of service! I promise I'll meet you at the tavern."
With that they parted ways. Teshara went into the elder's house and got permission to use some maps, he then made his own way to the King of Cups.

"Sven?" She asked, "I need a room for a few days. Teshara sent me, he said you could help."
The sturdy dwarf looked up from the bar he was rubbing down. There were a few other people in the main room, some appeared to be minors from up on the slope eating and drinking on their time off.
The dwarf cleared his throat.
"Room will run ye a silver per day, if ye want meals with it, tack on five copper to that amount."

Soon Teshara walked in and Sven looked over to him, calling out.
"Boy, I've got a package in back for her father. Make sure ye take it with ye afore ye git on home."
Teshara waved back with a smile, "Yes sir!"
He approached Eilerias with the maps and a smile.
"I take it you don't travel very often?"

Last edited:
  • Bless