Fable - Ask What Has Become of Us

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Elise Virak

The Baronness
Character Biography
Link
Vel Anir - The Golden Rose Cafe

The Golden Rose was an institution of Anirian High Society. It had existed in one form or another for more than half a millenia. The various dining halls had seen attendances by Kings, Queens, Head of Houses, and more than a few rulers. It was said that more bargains had been struck within the Golden Rose than could ever have been conceived of inside Vel Aerelos

There was something about this place that simply drew the Nobles of Vel Anir. The food was renown world over, the decor was absolutely beautiful, and the proprietors knew exactly whom they were dealing with. Every servant was vetted, every cook was well seen after. The Golden Rose was the very pinnacle of high society and fine dining.

That was why it had been such a shame when the Revolution had nearly seen it destroyed.

Between Undead hordes and battles that saw Dreadlords pitted against one another the Golden Rose had nearly been razed to the ground. It's outer facade had been all but destroyed, and the inside so tarnished that it had been all but unrecognizable.

It was only after a year of reconstruction and donation from various noble families that the Cafe was finally able to open it's doors again. Restored to it's full and grand splendor, the proprietors sent invitations to all the families that had donated to their cause. The event was a luncheon, hosted as a thank you for those who had been so generous after the Revolution.

"Lady Virak."

The voice of Alma Thelwin rang out, her poofed skirts extending as she bent into a deep curtsy in front of Elise.

"Thank you for the generous donation. I am so very glad to see you. I was unsure with your new found status if you would have the ti-"

Before the woman could speak any further Elise broke in. "Oh Alma, I would not miss it for the world. I practically grew up running around in these halls as my father attended meetings in Vel Aerelos."

The words were not untrue. Much of her youth had been spent in the Golden Rose, though none of it had been spent 'running around'. Even as a child she had always been focused. Listening in on conversation, plotting with her friends. Carefully touching upon the very veins which allowed Vel Anir to survive and thrive. She knew the importance of this place, and had not been shy in seeing to it's revival.

"This city could not survive without the Rose." She said to Alma with a smile.

A glowing expression of joy spread over the other woman's face, and with a demure wave she ushered Elise Forward.

"Please, this way. The gathering is in the main hall. Many have already arrived, along with a few...new faces."

Alma seemed to grimace at the words, a signal Elise could read as easily as a pyre. The 'new faces' were those who now sat within power. Generals, merchants, and 'elected' officials who had come into power after the Revolution."Delightful."

Elise mused, her voice sounding dreadfully neutral.

"Thank you, Alma. I'm sure I can find my way." Her head dipped in a nod. "You have other guests to attend to."

The owner of the Golden Rose offered another deep cursty, nodding her head as Elise swept passed her through the brilliantly carpeted hall.

"...And that is why we really must have Luana's backing. The wealth of your house behind this project will--"

Jiya-Farrah Khadija Al'Luana considered herself quite an easy, friendly person to get along with. In her classes she had always been quick to find friends and circles of people who enjoyed her company as much as she did theirs. She'd never really thought the why or how of such a thing. It had never taken conscious effort to be friendly and she had occasionally thought that maybe she was just born with a talent for people when she had even bothered to reflect on it at all. But being back here, with these people, listening to their complaints and their whining whilst sipping out of crystal glasses that could have funded projects or settled the debts of several poor families, throwing wine around which probably cost more than some peoples houses... Jiya realised it wasn't ever a skill or a natural born talent it was the fact she had just been around nice people.

"Yes, thank you Mister Coulter," she cut him off with a slightly raised hand as if she might physically be able to stop the tirade. He blinked at her then went a rather delightful shade of purple. "I think I understand the theory quite well. Might I recommend a book by Petra Pye, she worked out your theory quite a few years ago and has made some excellent advancements in the area already. Perhaps, before you build this 'automated ink to paper dwarven idea' you consult her much more elegant printing press."

Before he could respond she swept past him with a grimace. That had been really rather low of her but it had been the least offensive option she had managed given the circumstances. There was nothing Jiya hated more than having something she knew a lot about explained to her by a moron who then tried to pass it off as his idea! The nerve!

Finding a quiet spot to sit she settled down into the booth with a sigh and cast her eyes over the rest of the room. The way they primped and preened, laughed airily at jokes of people a year ago they had tried to kill. Why her father thought she better placed than any of her cousins to leave she still couldn't quite figure out. Another hour and she'd probably be able to politely excuse herself and return to her work.

Being back at the Golden Rose was a nostalgic experience. So many fond memories had been made here when she was a girl. Like the time Alma had hired an Obanese sommelier for Tristana Aubert's sixteenth birthday party. They'd all known practically nothing about wine but sipping and echoing the sommelier's opinion of 'fruit notes' or the 'body' of whatever beverage they had in hand was great fun.

Unfortunately, many of those happy memories were being sullied today.

Aisling had found herself woven into a conversation between Major De Graaf, one of General Blackforge's top men, and Representative Sibiya on some public works project that House Weiroon would be funding. It, like many things in the past few months, was such a bore that Aisling could hardly bring herself to pay attention. She'd nod on occasion, laugh along at a joke, but there wasn't much for her to offer to the discussion. The Republic had made it clear what her role was. A piggy bank.

"Excuse me," she moved away from the two vultures at the first opportunity and took up a seat in the corner to try and avoid further discussions.

It wouldn't work, of course, the de facto head of one of the Great Houses sitting alone was like an open invitation for every shark at this party to bend her ear. Those at the highest level of the Republic knew the arrangement Admiral Jarun had worked out so many of them wouldn't bother asking they'd simply discuss what thing she was to do next.

One way to dissuade any sort of pestering though was to enrapture herself in a different conversation altogether. She had hoped Elise would've come, at least then they could have monopolized each other's time. A quick scan of the room would likely lead to someone else suitable enough to speak with so that she wouldn't have to deal with, "J-Jiya!?"

Aisling rushed across the room with a wide, exaggerated, smile and sat directly across from the Luana noble. "Oh my! It's been what, over ten years? Well just, look at you," her hands gestured to the all-of that was Jiya Luana's dress, "you've hardly changed at all!" They hadn't been especially close as girls but reconnecting meant not having to deal with the others.

Amelia Pirian had not been happy to return to Vel Anir but at least she was returning with her best friend, Jiya Luana, so that made it bearable. That was until Jiya had started begging Amelia to attend this stupid event with her. Amelia being the amazing friend she was, gave in and agreed to attend with Jiya.

Now she scanned the room for her friend and found her in a booth with a blonde sitting across from her. Amelia picked her way through the room with disdain at all the fake kindness and stopped next to the booth. Ahhh Aisling.

Amelia smiled at Aisling and then shoo'd Jiya over to make room for her and her light green flowy skirts. She had tried to fight her mother on leaving her hair down and curled but she had given up.

"Ladies," Amelia said with a nod as she slid into the booth.

Elise stepped into the main dining hall with all the enthusiasm of a dead frog on the side of the river.

As a girl she had absolutely adored these parties. It had been a way to mingle with the others her age, to talk to someone aside from her brothers, and best of all to feel like she was actually doing something. Now it seemed like another extension of her duties as Head of House Virak.

There was no shine to it any more. No upside.

She was here because she had to be, because not being here would be damaging.

In this new Era after the Revolution one had to be even more careful. The Noble Houses were on uneven footing. Nothing was assured anymore, and even one slight could see you cast down into the very pits of hell. She hardly wanted to end up like a si-

Elise blinked. Was that...Jiya? And Amelia next to Aisling?

Kress.

She hadn't seen either of them in a decade, it felt longer. Elise had never been as close to them as either Aisling or Val, but she knew them well enough. They were all of similar age, and unlike some of the others of that peerage neither girl had ever tried to kill her.

That she knew of anyway. Maybe this will be a little interesting after all.

Elise mused to herself as she slowly stepped across the room.

"J-Jiya!?"​

The youngest Luana winced at the loudness of the tone in which her name was spoken. It drew several eyes first to the speaker and then, swivelling, they moved over to her. A few people had known who she was of course but most hadn't known her well enough before she left to really place her. Now, they would. She suppressed a sigh at the thought her quiet return was now thoroughly over. The disappointment was at least tempered when she realised who had spoilt her secret.

"Aisling?" Jiya had only managed to connect the face to the voice when the other woman had taken a seat opposite her and a true, warm smile broke out across her face. Laughter soon followed when her voluptuous dress was pointed out, though it ended in a grimace. "It was my mothers, I regret to say I didn't bring any with me back from Elbion," they most certainly would not have gone down well in Vel'Anirs upper society anyway. Their favoured style hadn't appeared to change judging by the other women gathered with their corseted gowns and wide skirts.

"I feel much more comfortable in a pair of trousers," she sighed then glanced up when Amelia joined them followed very quickly by a servant brandishing a delicate pot of tea and a tray of cakes which she set down before whisking away.

Seeing the Luana noblewoman smile was the second best gift she'd received since returning to The Golden Rose. The best gift was undoubtedly the tray of cakes that had just been placed before the three ladies.

"Oh, Elbion! How did your studies go there?" The more politically savvy Anirians understood that when House Luana repeatedly insisted their daughter was in Elbion for 'studies' for near a decade it really meant, 'voluntary exile.' Aisling was, for better or for worse, not all that politically savvy.

The comment on trousers was one she too could relate with. While her upbringing had prepared her for the formal wear of high society the Anirian Navy had spoiled her by mandating she wear clothing that was functional. Practical.

She rolled her eyes and went on, "gods don't get me started on trousers. I swear they have us wear these outfits," she flapped the flowing sleeves of her dress like a bird, "just to punish us."

A smile crossed her own face. Being away from Republic dignitaries and military planners was such a kind break from what her life had become lately. While these women might truly be her rivals the fact they had a common(ish) upbringing allowed her to loosen her guard some. "Amelia! It's been so long since I've seen you as well! How are you?"

This party was shaping up to be far better than she could have hoped!

Theodore Banick, the Head of House Banick, father of Walter and grandfather of Ralene, was a man who was slowly allowing himself to be overmatched by time. Vel Anir was changing around him, the needs of House Banick were shifting, and the old man could not keep up.

No greater evidence of this was there than Theodore's irrational insistence that Walter take Ralene to the re-opening of the prestigious Golden Rose Cafe. Theodore himself could not come on account of illness, the eldest Banick son was away on duty, and so that left Walter to represent House Banick. Gabriel had the luxury of choosing whether or not he'd deign to attend.

And so, with this duty upon Walter's shoulders, there came from Theodore the bright and foolish idea that Walter ought to take his daughter. Walter tried to reason with him, to tell him that Ralene knew nothing of noble society, that hers had been an entirely different path, forged in the unforgiving fires of the Academy. They argued with such intensity that all the servants left the room quickly and quietly. Walter's objection came down to this: She. Was not. Ready. But Theodore refused to listen.

Compelled by duty and the command of his father, here he now was. Riding in a carriage with his daughter Ralene, approaching the Cafe. The tension between them thick was as a glacial wall of ice.

At last Walter spoke once the carriage began to slow. "Once you are back at the Academy you may discard your birthright at your leisure." His eye flicked over to her. "But while you are here, challenge yourself to overcome your juvenile resentment of the Banick name and to conduct your affairs with a shred of decorum."

Following their less than amiable first contact in the solitary punishment cell at the Academy, Walter had a few contacts look into Ralene's history. The results had been...unpleasant to hear. Completely in line with the abrasive young woman he'd met in that cell. The young woman who had consumed his little girl.

Ralene

Amelia looked longingly at the cakes that were placed on the table and then between Aisling and Jiya as they spoke of trousers. Amelia was of the same camp as them. She had pretty much lived in pants the last eight years and she had only worn a dress today because it was required of her…by Jiya.

“I was told that I was wearing a dress by my dear friend,” Amelia threw a look at Jiya. It was extremely playful in nature though. She and Jiya had grown very close while at Elbion and she was thankful that she was back here with her friend.

Aisling spoke to her now and she smiled sweetly at the noble. “I have been good, I suppose.” She was about to lie about where she had been but since the revolution, things had changed so much. “I have been at Elbion, as well. I cannot say that I am super excited to be back here though. Perhaps that will change since I have friends here.”

Where they friends? It had been so long since she had seen Aisling, but they had always been civil to each other. She was ready for a new start.

A carriage ride. What a novel fucking experience.

Ral would have been perfectly fine riding a horse into the city, affording her a bit of independence from the old geezer seated across from her, but they'd insisted. So this is what it was like to be nobility? To be stuck inside the confines of velvet-cushioned safety while the world passed you by? She felt like a caged tiger, watching familiar roadways drift by just beyond her reach.

And not soon enough it seemed they arrived. She'd not said a word the entire ride and neither had he. By her account, she preferred it this way: a choking silence standing in as a bond that never existed and never would. Frigid glaciers slid aside behind dark kohl, tracking the man's mouth as he dared to break this unspoken agreement.

"...conduct your affairs with a shred of decorum."

Ralene Banick grew a grin on her face that was just a bit too wide to be something of simple humor, "Sure thing Pops," she remarked to him as the carriage came to a halt and shoved the door open before the attendant could even get there, "I'll be a model of decorum and tranquility."

Her boots tromped down the carriage steps, leaving the entire carriage to shudder as it was freed of her remarkable weight. Under the daylight the Acolyte's polished armor shone a faint gleam despite how badly it was worn, scarred, marked, and scorched. She'd had a new base layers brought in from the tailor, replaced failing leather pieces, and generally spruced up her entire armor ensemble. Her perfume was linen, cold steel, and leather oil; her statement piece a fine hand-woven silk scarf gifted from her favorite sea witch; her confidence held not in her name but in her power and achievements.

Time to introduce a new sort of nobility to Vel Anir.

Walter watched Ralene slide out from the carriage, and he had a moment to sit and ponder while the attendant rounded the carriage to his side.

Walter never claimed to be a perfect man. And like most other men, the vast majority of his mistakes and foibles were skewed toward his youth. His marriage to Lesette Crentor, Ralene's mother, had been arranged by Theodore when he was sixteen. A young fool he was, not entirely unlike (it pained him to say it) Percival Pirian--the difference being that Walter quickly grew out of it in the years to come after marriage. Yes, a young fool indeed.

Yet for all the failings of his youth, this most recent bout of foolishness perhaps trumped it all.

Walter had believed that he could just simply, after thirteen years, integrate himself back into his daughter's life. He had been sorely, sorely mistaken. Was it wishful thinking? Sheer denial of what the Academy produced, and how his daughter would not be exempt from this? Had he allowed hubris, that infamous killer of commanders and generals, to get the better of him?

Mayhap it was all three.

He did not regret his decision to send Ralene to the Academy. What other options were there? Hide her away, let her magic talents wither without proper instruction? Send her to Elbion, where a collection of soft pissant 'professors' would sooner squander Ralene's potential through their own ineptitude than see it developed to the fullest? Or, had he some gift of foresight and knew of the coming Republic, send her to the post-Revolution Academy, as it was with the Pirian girl, to receive a neutered training regimen only slightly above the College? No, no, and no.

Ralene could hate him for it until his dying day. But it would always remain that the power and capability she possessed now was hers because Walter had to first make a difficult and terrible decision. And he made it because he had the absolute faith that his daughter would survive the Academy, and through her tribulations come out all the stronger for it. He had faith that his daughter would achieve greatness. Nothing had changed that, and nothing ever would.

The attendant opened the door. A sobering reminder of the present.

Walter cleared his throat, nodded to the attendant, and stepped out from the carriage. His attire was mostly black and white finery, doublet, cuffs, shoulder sash, pants, blue ascot, charcoal overcoat. A tug on his coat to straighten it, and Walter rounded the back of the carriage and walked beside Ralene into the Golden Rose Cafe.

It had been a couple years since Walter had last visited, but he recognized Alma Thelwin still. As she had with Elise, Alma greeted the two of them with a deep curtsy.

"Lord Banick." She peered at Ralene for a moment, somewhat confused--the battle-scarred armor she wore certainly not helping Alma's attempt to discern who she was. Then, in the manner of recalling a long buried memory, things Walter had said in the past, she snapped to it. "Oh! Oh my! You must be Ralene Banick!"

Alma placed a hand upon her own chest, delighted, smiling widely. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, my Lady!"

Ralene

Elise walked through the room as though she were already Empress.

Even in a room full of nobles the Baroness somehow managed the composure of a Queen among the Peasantry. She moved without thought for others, without ever shortening her step or slipping out of the way of others. The Head of House Virak cut through the Great Hall without trouble, people moving from her path.

As she approached the gaggle of girls that had all come together in the booth Elise put a smile on her face.

The expression was only a small lie. Aisling was among the two dilettante's, and she would always be glad to see her friend. Even in the worst of times, the daughter of House Weiroon would sit close to her heart without a single question. "Jiya, Amelia."

Elise said as she stepped up to the small gathering, warmth in her voice.

"Such a lovely surprise to see you here." She then looked to Aisling, her smile growing even larger. "And you! I must have missed your letter saying you'd be coming."

It was a jest, her tone colored by the smile on her face. The two of them had been sending missives for the last year, sharing their days, but there was a sparsity to them. Both Elise and Aisling were busier than ever before, a fact they often lamented.

Jiya smiled at the two women sitting opposite her as she took the steaming teapot and begun to pour. The poor serving woman looked horrified and hovered for a few seconds like an anxious butterfly before the Luana matriarch shook her head. The maid lingered a second longer then bobbed a curtsey and was gone. Revealing the woman walking right towards them. The smile she had been wearing soured just the faintest amount.

It wasn't that Jiya had any personal animosity towards the Virak girl - though she certainly never considered her friendly - but House Luana and House Virak had been ancient enemies that went back centuries. A part of her always wondered if the war with the elves had been started because of the wars the two houses would wage with one another. A distraction. Of course there was no proof, Jiya hadn't bothered to dig much further into it knowing their ancestors would have covered everything up that there was to find, but she still wondered now and then.

"Elise," she returned cordially and inclined her head towards one of the other seats in a casual offer for her to join them.

"Lord Banick." She peered at Ralene for a moment, somewhat confused--the battle-scarred armor she wore certainly not helping Alma's attempt to discern who she was. Then, in the manner of recalling a long buried memory, things Walter had said in the past, she snapped to it. "Oh! Oh my! You must be Ralene Banick!"

Alma placed a hand upon her own chest, delighted, smiling widely. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, my Lady!"

Ralene stalked through the entry doors of the Cafe like a wolf walking into a coop of birds. Her gaze surveyed the open room, taking in the flock of strutting peacocks and peahens, all glam and pomp. Here and there little chickens skittered about, bawking at their noble superiors and making a fuss. Head on a swivel, she turned to the glibbering of one particular hen as it approached and watched it with a calm raise of a brow.

"That's me," she replied with a growing toothy grin that looked more like a glinting knife than anything particularly friendly, "pleasure's all mine. I'm here for the tea, who do you recommend?"

No, she'd not misspoken.

Alma caught on immediately, her face brightening with an understated joy (beneath, perhaps, some mischievous giddiness, for she recognized that Lord Banick's stoic face could not hide that he'd not followed what was meant by tea in this case). She took a glance behind her into the main hall and spotted the perfect table.

"I would recommend the table afar." Alma pointed gracefully with the whole of her hand. "One, two...oh, we shall say three Heads of Houses all seated at one table. Lady Virak, Lady Luana, and Lady Weiroon, all together." She smiled to Ralene. "You'll find the tea marvelous."

"Very well," said Walter, and he started off briskly in that direction.

Coincidental, this, even if Ralene's taste for tea was surprising (the Academy served tea now, did they? he thought with a sneer of derision). The Revolution and the Republic it established had shaken up many of the higher elements of Anirian society. Walter had been meaning to congratulate Elise Virak on becoming Head of her House, and to offer condolences to Jiya on the manner in which she had become Head of hers. In Elise's case, Virak was not part of the old alliance of Houses, no, but it was not all animosity; there had been times when Virak and Banick found common ground, the nomination of Selene Avar to Archon being a notable example. In Jiya's, though Walter could hardly say he knew her, shuttled away to Elbion as she had been, she was nevertheless a Luana.

He merely noted the presence of Aisling Weiroon and Amelia Pirian.

Arriving not so long after the confluence of power at the table had assembled and taken their seats, Walter offered a cordial smile and said, "Ladies. How has the renewed Golden Rose Cafe been treating you this evening?"

Ralene Elise Virak Jiya Luana Aisling Weiroon Amelia Pirian

Aisling grinned at Amelia's words related to her dress. "Your friend has good taste, that dress looks excellent on you." She nodded as the Pirian went on about missing Elbion. Many within Vel Anir would likely scoff at the idea of the foreign city being superior to the Anirian capital but the noble from House Weiroon was less judgmental than most.

"Oh! Ellie, this is a wonderful surprise." Playing coy was a skill any noble of Vel Anir learned at a younger age. Exchanging letters was nice enough, a small thing to look forward to every day. But it paled in comparison to the in-person interaction they were being treated to today.

As Walter approached the blonde heiress of Weiroon couldn't help but notice his acquaintance. In a low whisper Aisling asked the table, "did Walter Banick really bring a bodyguard to the Golden Rose?" It was a strange decision. Anirian politics could certainly be deadly but bringing a bodyguard to a swaray like this was a sign of paranoia.

"Walter." The Weiroons had always rivaled with Banick throughout history. Various trade disputes seeing one House get the better of the other. She didn't cling to many of the old ways but it was difficult to see the man as anything but a rival. He was also, at times, insufferable. "It's lovely, so glad that we were able to see this place rebuilt."

Amelia smiled sweetly at Elise when she stepped up to the table. It had been a long time since the two women had seen each other. They had been friends once, albeit not close friends, but friends nonetheless. Like everyone, except Jiya and Kristen, she had lost touch with the ladies that she had grown up with when she left. She had zero desire to ever return to this life and yet here she was.

"Elise, it is lovely to see you," Amelia said to the beautiful blonde. It was nice to see her and she looked forward to catching up, but before she could say anything else she saw Walter Banick working his way over to their table.

Amelia let out a low chuckle when Aisling spoke, "I believe he did. That is a new level of paranoia for sure," she replied in an equally low tone. He was very high on her dislike list and she knew that at least the majority of the table felt the same way. Why was he talking to them?

"It was lovely," her voice held an edge built off years of animosity for the Banick man. "You brought a body guard? You have grown paranoid in your old age?" Her smile was sarcastic and she tilted her head, narrowing her eyes at him.

The Golden Rose Café brought back rather poor memories to Alistair Krixus as he arrived in the fine, formal wear. The attire recently bought, showed the beginnings of the rise of House Krixus which had taken advantage of some trade since the revolution. The attire featured the purple, blue, and black color combination that was connected to House Krixus.

Alistair carried himself with a sense of confidence, not necessarily in his station, but in his knowledge that he would not make any etiquette mistakes, not after having them drilled into him at such a young age. Alistair first began by simply making his way around the establishment making small talk with others. All the while he could not help but look at the place in disgust.

The establishment had been a favorite of his father's when he was young. However, the few time that he had come with him, all he could remember was watching his bow and grovel in the hopes of getting on the good side of higher lords. It was the first time Alistair had even thought of his father as pathetic, or maybe desperate was a better word. Nonetheless, his father's pleasure towards the cafe had not diminished. When the place had been destroyed, the family was all to quick to make a donation. A donation, that in Alistair's opinion they could not afford. Still, his father seemed adamant that they support the business. He was even more adamant that Alistair go and represent the family.

The more he looked around the room, the more Alistair understood his father's decision. His father was intelligent, cunning, and more than a little ruthless. He had these great traits for a noble, but...his father did not have the necessary people skills. It was almost like his father radiated his desperate nature often making people uncomfortable. Alistair did not have that problem, in fact, he was rather indifferent to the whole situation, maybe that was what made all of this so easy for him.

Alistair a final compliment to the owner of the cafe before exiting the conversation and looking around once more in the hopes that he would see someone he might know.

Elise smiled at the women in front of her, about to open her mouth to speak when Walter Banick came striding towards them.

Briefly she flickered through her memories of what she knew of the man, though found her attention caught on the figure besides him. A young girl no older than some of the students at the Academy. She tipped her head towards Aisling, wondering the same thought about a bodyguard that she did.

Then suddenly a cord struck at her head. A small piece of information that had once been tossed into her lap. House Virak had always had close ties to the Academy. Closer than some of the other Houses. It helped that her cousin Liliana was in the same class as the girl.

The realization dawned on Elise, but she only smiled and peered at Walter as he greeted each of them in turn. ”Hello, Lord Banick.”

The Baroness said with a self satisfaction, glancing to her companion as she spoke again before the man had time to compose himself.

”Oh no, not a bodyguard my dear Amelia.” Elise’s voice was nothing short of honey.

”Don’t you remember Lord Banick’s daughter?” She glanced towards the others. ”That sweet little girl.”

Surprisingly, there was no real cut to her words. Walter’s daughter had been a bit of a stir when first born, and rumors had spread like wildfire. At the time they had all been young, gossip had been shared and raved about on many nights. That was over a decade ago now, and what once might have been a scandal was little more than memories. ”This is her, yes, Walter?”

Elise asked with a surprisingly soft smile. Her expression not betraying a hint of her real opinion on any of the matter.

And it begins.

Jiya suppressed a sigh at Elise's honeyed words. Knowledge was considered power here and being able to correct another, even a so called friend, was a quiet show of strength and superiority. Of course, Elise might not have intended for it to come across in that way but the daughter of Luana had a feeling that it certainly was. From the information she had gathered since her return, Elise was quietly and quickly trying to position herself as the true ally of the republic and thus one of its most important and influential members. Things hadn't changed. Not really. They had just had a pretty make over.

Her eyes flickered to the girl standing in the shadow of a man who many at their table would consider to be from a bygone era. This was the new one, these women gathered here, and the girl behind him who looked interested in anything but what was going on. She couldn't say she blamed her.

"Tea?" she offered with a faint smile and begun to work out quietly how best to excuse herself from the whole event.

Walter gave an affirmative nod to Aisling. "Quite so. Many things have changed in our past year. A familiar rock in these turbulent seas is a refuge."

To Amelia Pirian, he shared a humble smile. "I'm afraid you have me mistaken for my father."

He politely waved off Jiya's offer of tea. "Apologies, Lady Luana, but I shan't be long."

A small gesture to Elise, then, after the same dispelled the notion that Ralene was a bodyguard. "Elise has the right of it, Amelia."

To the table in general, "Allow me introduce my daughter: Ralene Banick."

His singular eye looked to her. The attention of the table had been brought to her by the flow of the conversation, and now awaited her words of greeting.

Elise Virak Aisling Weiroon Amelia Pirian Jiya Luana Ralene Alistair Krixus

There was no one in this entire establishment that looked more smug than Ralene Banick at that very moment. The looks of distaste and confusion, the whispers passing between painted lips, the various silent exchanges caught between the noble houses at the cusp of a teacup ... the wolf was very much enjoying the show.

She didn't care about the intrigue. She didn't care about those hidden glances and unspoken gestures of opinion. She really didn't give a flying fuck about the tea or being a model of decorum and tranquility.

"Ladies," Ralene strode forward around her father, her armored bulk and height overtaking any semblance of presence he might've commanded, reached for the nearest empty chair at a nearby table and promptly yanked it over to seat herself in the open space to the side of the booth. Manners? Proprietary greetings? Bowing? Ral didn't think so.

"I'm going to clear the air of any false pretenses: I don't know a thing about tea, I only just met Walter here last week when he deigned to visit me for the first time in thirteen years while I was in solitary confinement," her frigid blue gaze cut upward at him without a hint of remorse before sliding sideways to Elise with pointed purpose, "and I'm not anything close to being a fucking Lady."

Then a smile presented itself, all teeth and no apologies as it shifted to the other girls at the table, "But it is very nice to meet you all, and I do mean that."

Last edited:
Elise kept her face a porcelain mask as Walter 'introduced' his daughter and she so brashly stepped into the conversation.

It was a shame really, a display of just what a failure the Academy had really become over the last few years. The Proctors had taken a perfectly good noble daughter and molded her into an utter mess. She just hoped that her cousin didn't take after this disaster of a girl.

Teeth clamped down over her tongue as she resisted the bite that floated over it, lips instead quirking into a tight smile. "Oh we've met before."

Elise said with that same, tight smile. Never allowing a hint of her true emotions to flicker to the service.

"I remember you running around with my little brothers." There was genuine warmth in her tone as she spoke. "Pushing Rein into the mud only to have Erich drag you into the muck seconds later."

The Baroness clicked her tongue. "Memories I'm sure you've forgotten in the excitement of the Academy."

Elise said with the most pleasant smile she could muster.

Her gaze flickered towards Amelia.

"Your sister is there now, Isn't she Amelia?" Elise asked innocently before turning to Jaiya.

"I'm quite alright on tea." She told the Luana. "But I'd truly love some Coffee. It's all the rage out east, so I hear."

Last edited:
He saw it. The single hope of escape for this perpetual awkwardness of not knowing anyone at a party. Through the crowd, he spotted Ralene. She was in most of his classes at the Academy. While the two were near opposites in their personality, Alistair enjoyed her company. Her theories and ideas on alchemical runes and runes worked into forging were creative and innovative in Alistair's opinion. There were not many the practiced runic magic so heavily at the school, so Ralene was one of the few people that he could nerd out with.

Alistair only caught a glimpse of her, but quickly made his way over to her to say hello. As he got close to her, he called out to Ralene informally knowing that she was not one for such niceties.

"Hey, Ralene. What are you doing here?"

Of course, as soon as the words came out of his mouth he realized that she was not alone. Surrounding her were members of House Banick, Pirian, Luana, Virak, and Weiroon. What had he just walked into? He swallowed, but his throat suddenly felt dry.

He offered a polite bow to all of them. The tension in the group quickly became apparent to him. His father would give him several lashes if he found out this was how he conducted himself around these noble powerhouses.

"My apologies. It seems I have interrupted something."

Elise Virak Aisling Weiroon Amelia Pirian Jiya Luana Ralene Banick Walter Banick

Amelia wanted to throw something at Elise. She knew that Kristen being at the Academy was a sore subject and she brought it up with that smug smile of hers. Bitch.

She smiled at Ralene as she answered Elise's question. "Yes, my sister is Kristen Pirian." She said politely. She already liked the Banick daughter. Her attitude about the nobility was on par with Amelia's and she could appreciate that.

Her attention was stolen by the young man who came up to the table and addressed Ralene. Another noble at the Academy? Interesting, Amelia thought. "We are just getting settled, you are not interrupting anything important..." She trailed off and raised an eye brow, waiting for him to introduce himself.