Private Tales To Belgrath and Back

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Eren'thiel Xyrdithas

Broken Sword
Character Biography
Link
The road through the Falwoods was long.

It had been over a week now, and still he was deep within the forests' depths. At first, the path had been narrow and dark. Slow. But he'd made it through the twisted woods of his homelands, and the road underfoot was now better kept.

He rode atop a tall, white horse. Its eyes were like sapphires. She bore a well weathered but finely crafted saddle, and on either side modestly sized pouches hung, some weighted with belongings. He sat therein, his cloak wrapped about him and his face cast in the shadow of a tattered hood.

They strode along leisurely, the gentle clink of steel following each sway.
proxy.php

Ahead he could see a small settlement of elven make, with its dwellings formed out of the surrounding growth itself. It was open to the road and was only as much as a few dotted homes and small shops. Perfect for travelers. Night was close, and the dim light of the shops grew bright as he came near.

He dismounted and approached the shop. He trusted his companion would remain right where she was left. There were few people around, and they were all elves. He took comfort in that, for he imagined there would be very few to be seen for much of his journey.

He entered in, and all about were all sorts of items from trinkets to weaponry. This was quite the shop he’d happened upon. But many of these things were far from what he sought.

He met with the shopkeeper. The countertop before them was long, and along it certain more valuable items were on display.

“Greetings, how may I be of assistance to you?” the shopkeeper asked, who was a tall elf, but no taller than he.

“I travel north. My journey will be long, and I require provision.” Erën looked down the length of the counter and then turned back to the elf across him, "The journey will take me far."

He was inclined to travel light, and though his skill as a hunter were superb, he was not guaranteed regular nutrition. Potions, augmented items or otherwise enchanted aid would be useful.

The shopkeeper looked him up and down briefly, then said “I think I can help you with a few things…” as he turned and walked down a few steps and knelt down to rummage through some drawers.

The road through the Falwoods was long, but the journey to Belgrath would dwarf this.

MJK

• Yay
Reactions: MJK
The animal strung over her shoulder was heavy, the female's legs growing tired with each step bearing it's weight. I hope you were worth all the trouble you gave me...She thought sarcastically to the animal, blowing air out the corner of her mouth to puff away a stray strand passing in front of her eye. The rather large elk was dead. There was no chance it would be responding to her. However, Val continued on with the one-sided conversation in her mind as a means to occupy herself while she walked.

Damn near broke a leg running after you. Hopefully that shopkeeper is as desperate for supplies as he always says he is, I need a coin or two to get me through the next month. Valerie puffed away at the hair again, annoyance growing with the stubborn lock as it fell right back down again. Sighing she trod on, beginning to grunt with the effort of getting the animal across the short distance to the the man awaiting her arrival.

Unceremoniously she stepped across the threshold, although her heavy breathing would have been an indicator of her arrival far before she actually stepped inside the small shop. Looking up from where he was helping the unknown traveler, the shopkeeper's expression of initial annoyance turned to relief at her arrival. "Ah, I was beginning to think you might never arrive. Drop it off in the back, the same place as the last two weeks." Valerie huffed at her need to carry the felled elk a little further, but said nothing as she disappeared into a small room off to the side where she finally dumped the carcass onto a large wooden table.

Emerging she inhaled deeply, brushing her dusty hands on her leather pants before adjusting the strap for the arrow-bag on her back. Seeing her return, the shopkeeper gave her a cursory glance. He waved his hand in a dismissive manner, saying urgently "Check the stock I have of those potions and dried fruits, whatever I'm low on you can make more of or take note to collect in the glade tomorrow." Trying to not roll her eyes Valerie did as she was told, slickly walking behind the shopkeeper to get to the other end of the counter.

She had not planned to stay this long. Nor had she thought that she would be working for one of the most unsociable elfs she had ever laid eyes on. However, assisting the shopkeeper with his restocking and sorting came easy to her and the added bonus of a room with a bed had been hard to ignore. Travelling had been trying these past few months, especially with her needing to constantly look over her shoulder for signs of being followed by a rough bunch of humans. It wasn't her fault she had managed to beat the group of bandits when they attempted to rob her...but she would admit that taking back her goods along with a few extra items might have been reasonable motivation for their current pursuit of her.

Getting to work, the female pulled a few items from the shelves below the display. While doing so she couldn't help but steal a quick glance at the strange elf who was being assisted, his demeanor far from usual for people around these parts. Most of the elves here were the simple woodland type - few knew how to hold a weapon, let alone swing one. This man however, did not seem so simple and it was rather refreshing for her to see someone other than herself being armed with a blade of sorts.

Last edited:
(Previous image credit: namkoart)

Erën sighed through his nose as the keeper turned his back to him. He looked to his left, were some odd trinkets glimmered in the shop’s lantern light. He examined them patiently until his attention was roused by the entry of another. He lowered his hood and turned to look. With a raised brow he watched as she hauled in her bounty, impressed at her show of strength.

He also noticed her allotment, she too differed from the apparent locale. He thought her a traveler as well and given her exchange with the shopkeeper, one who had lingered far too long. His brow furrowed, and he turned his attention back to the shopkeeper as he spieled about more supplies. Precisely the types of things he was after, as well as others. Perhaps she was also nearly ready depart.

As he watched her pass by, he reached his hand within the veil of his ragged cloak which still bore a regality in its colors and embellishments. It parted, and his gloved hand reached to his left side and removed a small pouch which was strung shut. It fell onto the counter with the clink of coin. The shopkeepers head turned up, and he rose with an assortment of treasures in his arms. He laid them out in front of Eren.

Potions for healing and stamina, various protection wards, fire runes, and food.

Erën looked over the keeper’s presentation with an indifference. It was not that these things were unsuitable, he only wished there had been some more abundant merchandise. There again, it was unlikely many would stop here before embarking on such a journey as he, and there were plenty of stops to be made along the way.

He removed a few coins, his eyes meeting with the shopkeepers. He dropped one coin. Then two. Then another. Each one laid atop the next, until the fourth fell and it leaned against one side. Then, he removed a final coin and returned that pouch to its former place and took from his other side another yet larger bag and dropped it onto the counter. He nodded for the shopkeeper to fill it with his belongings.

Though not without a mild look of irritation, the shopkeeper acquiesced without word. The final coin dropped, and Erën grabbed up his belongings and turned. He stopped and looked over to the other – the traveler. He caught her gaze. His expression was hard, but not in any kind of contempt for her. He studied her a moment then he gestured outside with a nod of his head, and then turned to leave.

He exited the shop and made toward his ride, who had waited patiently for him as he had expected. He greeted her with a gentle pat and a few quiet murmurs before moving to her side to sort his belongings. He did so without haste, largely for allowing time to see if his invitation would be accepted.

It was not often he considered such anonymous companionship, but then there would be much time, and he had the feeling that this would be a welcome overture. As well, judging from her previous demonstration he imagined she would be rather useful in the event of an unwelcome sortie.

He had found that to travel through Arethil for any length, one rarely did so uninterrupted. And the interruption was usually rude.

He catalogued his acquisitions into an appropriate saddlebag, separating potions from food etc. He hung his swords from the saddle and secured his gold away there as well. As well as these things, secured there was also a helmet and a small axe, and several short knives slid into neatly sewn pockets on either side. He was well armed at any rate. He carried on for a time while he awaited a reply to his unspoken proposition.

• Yay
After one glance her curiosity had piqued, the female however trying to turn her attention back to the issue at hand. Pulling out a couple of dried leaves and empty vials required her to bend down, the female unable to keep her sights from drifting once more the the stranger.

His coins bounced on the counter one by one, sending metallic jingles echoing as they were dropped against the glass counter. The sound drew her in more, the female keeping her gaze for a moment longer than she should, eyes scraping away at the man's noticeable features. Skin that pale and hair so light in hue....he can't be from any region that is too warm. The sun would have turned him the colour of wheat by now if that were the case. He's come a long way as it is. I wonder what would bring him this far?

The other man, the shopkeeper, interrupted her staring. He narrowed his brows irritably, giving her a sharp jut of his chin as an indication to get back to work. Valerie chewed on her lower lip, thinking up a few foul words she might mutter if she wasn't completely certain it would cause trouble. Bending down lower she pulled out a small pot of dried leaves, using her free hand to grab at two glass vials that clinked together as she grabbed them. Straightening, she placed the items on the table, feeling a set of eyes fixed on her. Looking up, brushing her loose hair behind her pointed ears, she found the green eyes of the stranger looking intently at her.

His gaze had a petrifying effect, the female freezing in place when he briskly inclined his head towards the door. Does he want me to meet him outside? For what reason? Raising a brow, her turquoise eyes followed the tall figure through the doorway until he disappeared. While most might think it unwise to meet with strangers, Valerie felt a distinct thrill suddenly embrace her. It had been weeks since such a sensation had occurred and it urged her forward, despite her obvious apprehension.

Stepping out from behind the counter was met with immediate disapproval from the shopkeeper, who leaned forward on the counter while giving her a grim leer. "Where are you going? You only just returned and still have things to do before we close. Unless you are no longer interested in keeping your fee and free boarding?" While his words had meant to cast shame upon her, the female simply gave a nonchalant shrug. "If I don't return, then I guess you have your answer." The man's mouth dropped open with shock, too predisposed at recovering from her response to give one of his own as she left through the door with a casual gait.

Valerie couldn't help the wry grin that spread across her face, looping her thumbs into the belt upon which her dagger sheath hung. Looking about she easily located the man who had called her out here, standing with his steed whose colouring helped it stand out as much as its rider. Approaching quietly she spoke to him, once she was about a meter away. "Any reason for requesting a meeting? I'll have you know my sudden absence might cost me a well-paying job." Her voice was light, well-articulated in its deliverance and spoken without any of the irritation the words might imply. Instead, a simple look to her face would give away her mood. She was curious, eyes scanning over the horse and the items strapped to it. He's well-prepared, that's for sure. Armed to the teeth to boot.

Xyrdithas

He went about his doings with care, placing each item in such a way as not to be disturbed by travel, even at great speed – one never knew when haste would be required. Most of the things he had with him were like what he had just purchased: food; potions; enchantments, but also of course, currency. He was wary of attracting the attention of unwanted ears, listening for that all too distinct jingle. They were set in numerous small pouches within different bags, stuffed with cloth and bound tightly.

Footsteps approached, casually.

His eyes left his work and turned to meet with hers. Though she voiced concern over being hailed from her duties, it was a shallow worry he guessed: guaranteed lodging was an enticement for any impoverished traveler. But he was far from impoverished.

Indeed, he bore a fair visage as most of his people did – their altitude, their access underground, their preference to operate in the night and even simply their more immediate ancestry were all factors in this. It was said that those of his Order all came from very few. But they were still elves all the same and maintained their connection to the broader lineage elves. They were as a whole separate, but only so much so.

And so, he saw her not with the disdain he would bear for so many others – even some kinds of elves, malevolent or even just ignorant ones. Like the shopkeeper. Instead he offered her civility. He turned, placed his hand to his breastplate and bowed his head.

“Indeed,” he said, then lifted his head and lowered his hand, “I travel to Belgrath. Though the lodging for the most part will likely be scarce, the journey is long and perhaps quite lucrative. I invite you to travel with me, for as close or far as you wish.”

He turned back to make his final adjustments, and patted no specific pouch saying, “And we shall see to any compensation you may otherwise…miss out.

A shrug.

He only assumed that the idea of leaving such an obscure place would be an appealing one, he was familiar with the restlessness of being bound to one place for too long. And he would even admit, to travel so long and far in isolation could be draining for even the most introverted.

Though the white horse he rode was true, he would certainly welcome some more kindred companionship.

MJK

• Yay
He bowed to her, the action taking her sharply back to memories of others who had mimicked such an action. Valerie's mind was cast to the vision of elvish architecture set aglow with yellowing light, soft silhouettes of elven woman in flowing dresses adding other colours to the scenery in the centre of an elvish courtyard. Brief emotion flickered across her face. Gone within a breath, but there for the seconds needed to identify a strange gloominess.

Before the memory could progress much further Valerie forced it away, not wishing to dwell on the emotions that would most certainly rear their ugly heads should she let her mind drift back where it shouldn't. Her mind re-locked the memory, sealing it away as she focused on responding to the male.

"Lucrative, you say? That sounds like an enticing offer if I ever heard one. Besides, I have never seen Belgrath. Looks like this is fates way of offering me the opportunity to do so. Consider me to be your new travelling partner."

While many might see her decision as brash, the sort of spontaneous choices the elven female made thus far had been enough to set her on a decent path. In her earlier years she would have met serious consequences with such spontaneity and that fact drew her ever more to unplanned adventures such as the one he was presenting.

Bringing her hands up, placing her two forefingers between her lips, the elf blew loudly. What echoed next was an oscillating short, shrill whistle - a sound met with a loud whinny from some distance away. There was a shriek from what Valerie assumed to be the stable boy who might have been feeding and watering horses before a loud bang signaled the sudden opening of a stable stall door. Next came the thundering of hooves, a blue roan coated steed thundering towards them before coming to a skidding halt in front of the elvish woman.

Valerie waved away the dust that the horse's stop had flung into the air, gently tugging on the reins to lower the horses head to her level. "Quite the unnecessary entrance, but we'll ignore that for now...", she muttered with a chuckle, showing clear affection towards the animal by rubbing along the centre of it's face. Leaving it for a moment, the horse not moving from where it stood, Valerie walked to a post set up against the side of the shop. There she hauled up a saddle, placing it on the steed before buckling it in place. It was clear that she had far fewer possession than the armored elf, only a bed roll and two saddlebags on each of the horse's sides.

After checking all the straps and buckles Valerie hauled herself, giving a small grunt as she swung up into the saddle seat. "Ready to go whenever you are. Although, I should ask for your name before we set off....mine's Valerie Faeralthyn." She spoke while urging her horse into a turn, setting him up so that he stood parallel to the white creature belonging to the male.

Erën regarded her acceptance with a grin and an affirmative nod, “Belgrath is a wonder to behold,” he said with an endearing tone, “there is a craftsmanship there not akin to much else in this land.”

He spoke highly of the dwarves, which was perhaps an unusual thing for an elf. Even still, it was obvious he had an affinity for the stone folk. But their journey would take them through many a place, not least of which was Alliria. This was a place Erën had quite a different feeling for, so much so he didn’t even make mention of despite the opportunities that he expected to present themselves to them there.

Then, after a beckoning, he beheld a rather abrupt appearance. The she-elf’s horse came forth in an explosive display of vigor and, what he perceived as restlessness. He often attributed these mannerisms in a steed to its rider and assumed her to be of like demeanor – hungry for adventure. That was good, for this trek would likely lead them down many paths, and if his new counterpart had any uncertainty to the vastness of Arethil, then this uncertainty would be alleviated.

The dust irritated him, but he could forgive such things considering the likely excitement on the horse's behalf. He gave his mare a gentle pat on the neck as she huffed at the other horse and whinnied with a rear of her head in a kind of greeting. While he waited, he climbed atop the white horse and settled himself in.

“It is an honor, Valerie Faeralthyn,” a nod, “I am Erën'thiel Xyrdithas… I intended on carrying on until next nightfall, but I realize you have recently been on the hunt. It will be no bother if we must stop beforehand.”

He nudged his ride forward and would wait until leaving the settlement before accelerating to a decent pace.

• Yay
He spoke up of her possible need to rest, the female only responding once they had set off down the road. Valerie raised her voice to be heard above the stamping of their steeds hooves, her hair flying behind her like a golden flag, "I can make do with whatever pace you wish to set. If I need to stop, it will be to water and rest my horse rather than because I am in any great need to retire. However, I'm sure he's as eager as me to put some distance between us and that travelling stop."

She rode with ease, her position in the saddle rather poised. The she-elf did not ride with the ruggedness of a farmer-turned traveler or as one raised as a nomad. Instead, she looked as if she had been taught in an environment that encouraged the appearance of floating while on horseback, her body seeming to move in motion with the horse rather than like a separate entity on top of it. It might have been an unusual sight for anyone accustomed to watching elvish commoners ride horseback.

Around them the forest seemed to thicken as they rode further from the travel stop. The canopy of trees seemed to reach out to each other, creating a blanket of greenery overhead that allowed dappled patches of yellow sun to the road beneath them. Valerie was pleased about the change of scenery, visibly relaxing as they rode on.

"I understand that the question might be seen as rude, some folk prefer to be quite secretive about their goals or motivations for traveling, but I shall ask you for yours regardless. My curiosity will get the better of me if I don't at least attempt to query as to why you want to travel to Belgrath. I know the dwarvish kingdom has many possible draws, but not much for our kind with many seeing them as rather crude and stocky in their approach to others as well in their appearance. They are very different to us." Her words did not imply what her own feelings were towards them, Valerie taking a neutral stance in the way she delivered her question.

And so, with Valerie and he fully prepared to depart, they did. He was glad to hear that she was ready to ride out as he had previously planned to on his own, he was one who considered his punctuality to be of significance – even if he was only held to himself by it. Though if he set himself a deadline, he usually had a need for it, and indeed there was a schedule he intended to keep – at least for a time.

He noted her comfort as a rider, that it was not some cumbersome activity to endure but that it was something she was accustomed to. By her posture though he figured her a learned sort, and he detected a regality to her, that she was more than some poor soul's prodigal offspring turned wayward runaway. Perhaps she was of the noble houses in Fal'Addas, in hiding for her life? Royalty of some kind? Perhaps she was simply an astute individual with a thirst for adventure. It was truly hard to know anymore, even the elves had become spread so far from their roots that they could… differ. Greatly at times. He would inquire in due time, but first it seemed that Valerie was an inquisitive sort herself.

Though he himself had an affinity for the dwarven people, he understood that there were many of his people who did not share such endearment. Had Valerie expressed disdain he would have hardly taken to surprise, but she seemed rather indifferent, open minded even.

He could appreciate that. His mind was not so open anymore.

Amid his own flailing locks which were quite a few shades lighter than hers, he turned to look her way, “it is difficult to explain like this,” he hollered.

They were making good time, and at their current rate would be upon their intended campsite before dark. That suited him well enough and would allow plenty of time for him to elaborate as to his quest. He thought it reasonable to ask about the end of his journey, lest he be some crazed zealot.

Though perhaps some would see him that way anyway.

“I will explain shortly,” he resigned, and returned his attention to the road ahead.

As the forest encroached, the light dimmed, and then in other parts the trees would briefly recede before plunging again into dark shade. In places the road twisted and turned, and soon the chosen path grew narrow and unfit for anything other than a single file, but he needed do little more than occasionally duck his head to avoid the arched branches. It descended, and the now narrow path became rugged and tough, with great stones and roots exposed from the erosion of rain. But his horse managed well, albeit slowly.

They followed the path down, and at its base the growth opened to reveal a long and narrow gully. A thick blanket of lush vines hung overhead, obscuring much of the day's remaining light. At the far end, water rolled down a gentle rock face, and a fair stream ran through the gully toward them and carried on past them to where the gully narrowed greatly. Ahead where the water fed in was an opening to the forest above and a perfect place for a fire to vent from under the natural rooftop.

As they approached the site, the narrow path alongside the water opened and a flat stretched across either side of the stream. On their side, the trunk of a great tree sprang up from the mossy floor and stretched high into the forest. The gully’s abrupt edges revealed twisted roots twined with rock and clay beneath a thin layer of yet more less leafy vine, and strange fauna and fungi were abundant all around. Across the shallow stream, another path like the one they'd followed down led back out of the depression and toward the main road.

He went near to the tree and dismounted to take a closer look around. He did so rather leisurely. He'd camped here many times before and found that the surrounding greenery provided a marvelous shroud for a fire’s light, and that also a few of the flowers and herbs growing here could prove useful to them in the future. But he was curious of any sign of another having come by his hideout, as it was hardly more than a place he too had happened upon. It would appear to have remained relatively untouched to his eyes, and this satisfied him.

There was plenty around to build a fire, and with a few scuffs with his foot he uncovered a patch that had certainly been scorched. His own doing, of course. He gathered up some kindle wood and managed to find some larger branches. Anything more would likely be quite available above. He dropped what he found into a pile on the black patch.

“This place will serve us well for a shelter. It will hide this and shield us from any wind and deter unwelcome guests through the night. After this…” a curling of his lips in thought, “…well we shall see.”

He pulled from his side a rolled parchment and opened it. He held it for a moment, and while he gazed upon the rune inscribed on it, he infused his energy with it - but a droplet from his well – and the ink radiated a bright blue light. He knelt and dropped the parchment atop the gathered wood and with its touch, a small flame took shape. It quickly grew, and he offered more robust material for the flame, and then returned to his horse’s side and began to unbuckle her saddle.

“It is true, dwarves and elves differ in many ways,” he'd not forgotten her curiosity, “but as I have said, Belgrath is an example of and home to tremendous craftsmanship, they are unrivaled by even we in these trades. I have need of such skill…”

Now, as had with her prior to their leaving, a coolness crept over him and he found himself caught in a twirling sea of thought and feeling. It roiled about in him as vague imagery of a bright light and then crumbling stone flashed through his mind. And then silence.

He gave himself a mental shake and hoisted the saddle off.

Erën promised that he would explain himself shortly, the pair riding onward until such a point that they needed to ride in a single file. Valerie pulled lightly on the stallion's reigns, reeling him in briefly so that she could slot behind the other elf's mount. The path thinned and narrowed, becoming more treacherous to ride over at too great a pace without risking a felled horse. The eroded surface formed an intricate lacework of root and rock, one Valerie might have enjoy observing at a slower pace if she wasn't eager to hear Erën's motivations for reaching Belgrath.

The soon reach a depression to which the path led, the pair dipping down into a secretive gully which was obscured by a patchwork of vines crossing overhead. The elven woman heard the stream before actually seeing it, the soothing sound of water cutting a path over rock reaching her elongated ears. As the gully opened up to reveal more sights, she gazed upon a vast, monstrous tree that shot it's way up to claim a place among the other canopies of the trees above them. Once they stopped she dismounted, whispering in a cooing fashion to her steed as she removed his saddle before striding over to the stream.

Bending to her knees she leaned forward over the water's edge, cupping her hands into the cool, clear liquid before splashing it over her dusty face. While she did so he spoke of the shelter and relative safety offered by the grove, the female giving a cynical smile before responding. "I have learned to not trust the perceived safety of a place. I prefer to rely on my own sense of self-preservation." Her words were not serious, rather tainted with a slight sense of regret but of what would be unknown to the male elf. Sighing she bent to retrieve more water, next wetting the back of her neck and relishing in the cool droplets that ran in rivulets under her collar. Next she pressed her empty water skin beneath the stream's surface, allowing the leather to bulge before she pulled it from the water's embrace. Feeling refreshed she stood, turning to see the Eren throwing a fire rune onto a pile of kindling which quickly flickered with flame.

Upon her easing to the floor by the fire, taking time to assist him in placing a few larger logs on the smaller ones, she listened to his explanation. It was still somewhat vague to her, but then again she hadn't been expecting much of an answer in the first place. So, some answer was better than none. "I have heard tales of the great dwarven smiths. Many have sung high praises of their forged goods. However, I am inclined to withhold my perceptions or judgement of their goods until I have seen them for myself. It seems hardly fair to pass approval or criticism for work which I have not witnessed first hand."

Leaning back she stretched her legs out, enjoying the elongation of her limbs after being in the saddle for many hours. Even if she wasn't dead on her feet, any seasoned traveler knew that taking an opportunity to rest was wise. One never knew when a time would come when rest would be sorely missed.

He nodded to himself at her precaution, her back to him as she made use of the waters. He found her awareness to be of kindred acuity. Erën would not willingly lead his companion through the flame of hardship, but as he had learned, and she may have also: even an honest fool is a fool all the same. But thankfully he was no fool, and clearly neither was she. He was glad she would rely on her own determination, a vine covered gully hardly qualified as protection after all and it would be silly to assume that they were now invulnerable. He knew this, but so far this place had never failed him.

He set the saddle down near the tree, and the white mare jostled her head in approval of the relief. She remained relatively silent, only giving the occasional huff or quiet whinny as she explored what space she had, her head craning down as she nibbled on this and that.

He removed the blue cloak around him to reveal his incomplete armor, and after removing much of it and placing it nearby he reached into one of his many saddlebags, and withdrew some rations wrapped in blue silk tied with a shimmering twine. He went to the fire and offered a packet to Valerie. If she declined it, he would place it by her before moving to the adjacent side. Then he removed his sword-belt, and he too sat setting the two swords down at his side. He was likewise wearied from the travel. He had been on the move for many days now and this was the first true rest he’d had in over a week. It was most welcome.

“Ah,” he said, “well it is not unwise to withhold judgement for such things…”

He unwrapped the package he held, and took from it some flatbread. It was still quite palatable. Some fruits were available as well.

“But for myself, and others like me, I have beheld to fruits of their labor before my eyes since the days of my birth…” he paused, “tell me, how far have you traveled? Do you hail from the ancestral city, how much of Falwood have you seen?”

He maintained his elusiveness, more so for the sake of the context he required. He fully intended to reveal his aim. If she were to come with him, he knew it appropriate to explain himself.

He offered her food, the female's brows lifting curiously as she accepted the parcel with nimble fingers. Sitting up she placed the bundle in her lap, taking the time to carefully remove the twine and unwrap the silk rather than simply ripping it open. Her mannerisms seemed to be slow and purposeful, not as brash and unrefined as others who appeared to be in the same state as her.

Carefully removing a piece of flatbread she tore it into a small piece, taking gentle bites and savoring the meal. It was a welcome change, to have food given to her rather than the she-elf needing to hunt for it or pay for it herself. Next, she sampled the fruit. Visible delight crossed her features as she bit into a ripe, deeply purple coloured plum. The flesh was sharp but also sweet, a treat she had not relished in for at least a week or two. Fresh fruit was hard to come by and somewhat expensive in such isolated stops like the one she had been at.

He asked after her travelling, the female happy to satiate his curiosity. Taking out the other half of her flat bread she answered, ripping the rest of it into small pieces as she began. "I lived quite close to the Falwood. Just on it's perimeter to be exact. Far enough to be away from the bustle of it, but still close enough to partake in some of the business and politics there." She wandered as to his own place of origin, her blue-green eyes carefully scanning the blue-cloak he had dropped off him moments earlier.

Stretching so that she was almost laying across the ground she reached for it, pulling the closest edge of it closer until she could sit up once more and drape it over her one thigh. With a feather-light touch and scanning eyes she held the embellished, detailed edges up to her face. "This is fine work for someone who has traveled as hard as you have. I haven't seen work like this since-" She stopped herself, chewing on her lower lip before dropping the fabric again. "Well, let's just say it's been some time."

Trying to change the topic away from the information she had almost let slip, the female spoke again. "Your horse is far hardier than she appears. Strong too. You must have a good bond for her to perform so well with her rider."

He listened and nodded. Not many from Fal'Addas would likely be privy to the existence of his Order, but still the evidence was there to be found for those who had looked in the proper places. The collective knowledge stored in those ancient archives was vast. He watched with curiosity as she reached for his discarded cloak and acknowledged her assessment of it – catching her pause, but letting it drop.

He looked back to the white horse, and grinned, “yes, she is quite strong…” his gaze turned back, “much like the binds that hold this cloth together, she is a product of some of our people's most talented.” A somber tone crept into his voice, “many of whom are now gone.” His eyes fell to the ground, and he laid his ration by his side, barely touched.

“She and I come from the eastern reaches of the forest; there an ancient order has dwelt for… a very long time.” He gestured to the details of the covering, more specifically the crest, faded as it was. Though the cloth was very aged and tattered in places, it was very well knit and held together well. “These are the markings of our Order, which has watched over Arethil since long before our days.”

He beheld the crest, and fell silent for a moment, “the city Sharyrdaes was a beauty to behold, shining with the day’s light and a glimmering jewel in the moons presence… once.”

She still thumbed the clothing between her forefinger and thumb, carefully tracing along the length of the embroidered hem while he spoke. Valerie couldn't help the swell of pride that built in her chest at his mention of the great things their own people were capable of. Elves had been around since before time began and....she hoped....they would persist far into the future. However, there was some uncertainty as to whether some of the elven tribes would be around for much longer. Many had fallen to war and civil unrest or been swept out by disease eating away at their woodland area or the likes of humans reaping havoc.

For this reason, her pride dulled and was replaced with a sadness that was hard to describe. She saw it reflected in Eren as well, by the looks of his untouched meal and downcast eyes.

He explained further about where he came from, the information making Valerie sit up straighter and look at him with a scrutinizing gaze. "The eastern reaches? I had no idea that any still survived in that area. As for your Order, I have heard only whispers of such a group existing. There's been barely enough information to even classify the whispers as stories. You said the city was - I mean is - called Sharyrdaes? I don't think I've ever seen the name on any of the maps I've scoured over with a fine tooth comb."

The light was fading fast around them, making the shadows grow long and the heat of the fire more needed. Valerie inched as close as she could, wrapping her cloak tighter around her with fingers that were frigid at the tips. Eren's story had made her somber. Valerie could empathize at losing her home, she had gone through a similar experience all too recently. The thought of her loss made her subconsciously touch the silver pendent hanging off the necklace around her neck, fingers feeling for the warm metal where it hid beneath the material of her shirt. However, the physical loss of an entire dwelling must have been something much more difficult to deal with.

"I...I'm very sorry for what you've been through." Her words were simple, the girl looking up with a genuinely sad expression in his direction. The orange light of the fire cast her in a fiery glow, the flicker of flames reflecting in her eyes.

“Yes,” he uttered, a gentle rasp taking his voice. He cleared his throat. “The Holy City, yes. If only you could have seen it…”

He regarded her condolence with another head bow, hand rested on his chest, “We have dwelt there since ages past, keeping an ever-watchful eye for the evil that once sought to end all of Arethil itself… the Dark Ones.”

He beheld the night as it grew around them, and he reached for more wood to feed their flame. He stoked it with a stick before tossing it too on top. He sighed a deep sigh, then began.

“There is much of the Order that is unwritten even in Fal'Addas, and yes even absent from the maps – save for I’m sure a select few.” He thought for a moment. Then, he described a place. High up in the forests, like the top of a mountain had been sheared off, and the center dug out by the gods. A great valley therein, with misty meadows and a river clear as glass.

Tranquility.

And there, set against the rising rock was the stone city, built in and of the rock. He described an encompassing wall with massive stone gates and inside, laid roadways with trees on either side. Grey and white stone shrouded in vine. Water channeled throughout, and gardens all around. Further, massive archways leading into the rock: underground where the city continued with massive tunnels and great chambers.

“And set near the highest point, our great temple.” He told of how its make was unlike much else in the city. It was far older, yet finer. Straighter, truer, and smoother. Every detail worked with such fine intricacy it was difficult to imagine the labor. It too had its own network into the rock face, separate from the under city. And then he spoke of the tower.

He called it “The Celestial Watchtower," and described how it reached high above the tallest tree, and near its top a great cap-house and therein the council chamber.

“The tower now lays in ruin, and much of the city is broken.” He spoke of the shadow which had taken hold of the land, how the very forest itself and all manner of beast sought vengeance for its sorrow and laid siege to the city with an everlasting night. “Many of us lived abroad throughout Arethil in those days before the tower fell. But then… a quiet crept over us, and called us home…” he stopped, his eyes fixed into the flame as his memories flashed through his mind. He snarled while he recalled that first time he saw it upon their return.

He looked back up to her, “this is why I travel to Belgrath. In the days of our Order's conception, our friendship with the dwarves was strong. It was they who carved out the under-city and showed us how to build of stone like them. And it is they who built the temple, and stood the watchtower…” he shook his head, “though there is still a curse upon my lands, I must rally aid to rebuild the city… for over a century now what remains of my people have dwelt in the memory of our misfortune. I seek to restore the city… but only the dwarves can rebuild the tower.”

He had spoken for some time, and the night had come in full. The forest was restless around them. Erën again tended the fire then said, “but I fear the tower's falling is an omen of a much greater shadow… Rebuilding the tower likely cannot happen until the land be healed, which we have been unable to do on our own… I will look for aid in this as well.

“But what of you Valerie, what brings you out into the depths of the Falwoods alone? Surely Fal’Addas is still as prosperous as I remember… though that was very long ago now, no city has endured time as well as it."

He spoke to her of the ancient city, his words carefully laden with adoration and awe at the dwelling. His descriptions helped her form an image in her mind's eye of grand stone architecture, master stone masonry and the perfect marriage between the forest and the city structures. It must have been a sight to behold at the peak of it's glory, she assumed. Pity now that it was but a shadow of it's previous self, fallen to ruin.

However, she sensed a slither of hope despite all the misery and tragedy. The elf before her was resilient and she knew that his determination to restore the city was shared among the rest of his people. What else could drive someone to travel so far and on such a difficult path?

Eren tended to the fire, throwing on more logs so that the already burned ones snapped and spat out embers with the added weight. She watched the orange flecks float up and disappear among the overhead vines, her focus immediately turning to the male elf though when he asked of her own reasons for leaving Fal'Addas. Her heart quickened, creating a hard rhythm against her ribs. Such questions were mostly avoided by the she-elf. It was never known who she could trust with the answers.

Despite this though, the man had shared with her deeply personal information as to his mission. He also came from a place far removed from most other elven civilizations. They were in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by deep night with nought but forests sounds and their horses for company. If there was ever a time which seemed safe to share her story, it would be now.

She started her explanation with a deep sigh, thin fingers raking through her hair in a show of her apprehension. "I said to you before that I lived on the edge of the Falwood. I lived on the perimeters with my father because that was the closest upper-class noble dwelling to the military barracks. The proximity was necessary because my father was a the head councillor for the soldiers in training and elven war groups. He made decisions on battle strategies, protection of elven cities and which individuals would be given high enough ranks to lead certain groups. He held a position of power, but it was one he maintained with the utmost humility and level-headed approach. My father didn't strive to have the authority he had, it was given to him because he didn't lust for the power the position gave him in the first place. It means I grew up in a position of high standing, among other council children and noble offspring and gave me education and training that I would otherwise have missed out on."

Valerie looked off into the night, staring into the distance as her memories came alive. "Of course, not all people were like my father. The position to control warriors is enticing to most. People approached him, wanting to use his armed forces for evil deeds not sanctioned by the rest of the elven Council. My father refused of course. He intended to report their plans...but they removed him before he got the chance."

Her eyes burned with tears she thought had dried up long ago, the girl clenching her jaw and wiping at her face with a dirtied sleeve before continuing. "They came in the middle of the night. Killed him in his chambers before moving on to his supervisors to do away with them too. I was also an intended target - everything my father knew he had passed on to me. If something were to happen to him, it seemed only right that I might take his place once I came of age in a year or two. The only reason I'm still alive is because one of the supervisors let out a scream before they slit his throat. The sound woke me up. When I saw men dressed in all black, bearing no insignia or coat of arms walking around with bloodied swords, hearing people screaming - I knew trouble was afoot.."

She cast her eyes downward, her hunched over posture and somber expression speaking of the shame and guilt she felt. "I should have stayed. Fought back somehow but when I sought my father and found him lying dead with a dagger embedded in his gut...It snapped something inside of me. I was terrified, heartbroken after what I had seen. So I ran."

Another log snapped in the fire, a loud sound with the sudden silence that seemed to engulf Valerie like a cold drenching in water. She swallowed, trying to ease the dryness of her throat. "I wish I had stayed now. Done something to uncover who was behind all the murders. I am almost certain as to who it was, but proving it was them is near impossible. I'll probably end up dead if I even try to speak out against them. For all they know I'm dead and that has kept me alive so far. That's my story though - one of a weak coward." Her hands had balled into fists, the female reaching for her waterskin and taking a swig from it.

Erën listened on to Valerie's tale. It made sense to him now how she carried herself, to grow up in such a position was not so unlike his own upbringing. For a while it played out much how he expected, but when the story took a dark turn his eyes rose from the fire to meet hers. He could hardly believe such scheming could be afoot in such close presence of the Great Tree, and doubly so the nefarious means behind her father's death.

For a time, he seemed unmoved, and cold. But truly it was quite the opposite – to hear of how elves of the same cloth could conspire so deviously against one another revolted him, unheard of amongst his kind and in fact, hardly even possible. His brow deepened with her lament.

He disagreed with her opinion but understood the sorrow.

“I am grieved for you, Valerie,” he breathed out through his nose, a frown pressed firmly onto his lips, “from what you say your father sounds to have been of great merit.”

The fire crackled, and the sound of windswept leaves filled the air as the breeze rolled over. He heard the call of wolves far off, and the bustling of creeping things all about. The cool fell upon them in the gully, and even he who was accustomed to the night found himself chilled… or perhaps it was something else.

“I too know that pain… I was spared the sight of my father's misfortune but was robbed of his guidance through many a troubled time…” he hung his head for a moment. He was not so wounded anymore that it tore at his heart to recall but rather a struggling to fully empathize, not having been dealt quite the same blow.

“You cannot defeat yourself in such a way, my friend,” a strange tone came across his voice. The harshness had left, and an almost ill-fitting gentleness replaced it, “what could you have done in the face of such treachery. Though it may have been fear that gripped you, regardless of what any warrior will tell you, fear is your greatest friend at times.” He looked to her again, “your death would have only deepened the tragedy, and no justice would be met, no truth to be known.”

He contemplated for a moment, reaching down to his sword and grasping it. He lifted it before him scabbard and all, and as he beheld it he said, “there is no shame in losing ground, only in allowing it to remain lost. Sometimes, the war cannot be won with a single battle.”

He grimaced at the mention of her own imminent demise should she rise up and speak, showing the situation in Fal’Addas to be much more dire than he could have ever imagined – having regarded it with such reverence his whole life he thought it unnatural for these misdeeds to occur on such hallowed ground. Hallowed to him and his kind, at least.

He watched her drink.

“As for these…fell elves, he snarled, his voice returning to a more callous tone, “you have my blade. Any of the high born who seek to slay their own are no better than instruments of chaos and must be put to rest. Should we encounter any of their sort they shall be slain and left unburied, and then Arethil herself can exact its final shame upon them.”

• Yay
Valerie quenched her thirst, but somehow the water was not as satisfying as she had expected it to be. Perhaps it was something else that was amiss within her, a deep unsettling that had yet to be calmed since the time of her escape. She had done well to hide the sense of loss from even herself, but talking about the incident for the first time since it had happened had forced it to the surface.

Gulping quietly she wiped at her mouth, feeling as if a fire had been lit in her eyes with how the saltiness of her un-shed tears stung. The she-elf thought she had been done shedding tears for what was lost. Tears would never bring back what had been taken from her. Yet, they had returned to torment her once more.

Her weakness, the mere inability for her to simply control her own emotions, somehow made things worse. Corking the water skin angrily she tossed it aside, trying to pull her cloak closer around her against the sudden chill which had crept into the air and threatened to settle into her bones.

His words brought some comfort, his strangely gentle tone coming as a surprise to the female, but they did not succeed in completely wiping out her own self-inflicted shame. They did enough to bring a small smile to her face, the female inclining her head with the utmost respect in his direction.

"I appreciate such a promise being made, Eren. I fear though that there is little that can be done. It has been almost a year since the tragedy happened. I doubt I am even a memory within the betrayers mind. Perhaps I could somehow right the wrongs with time, but there is little I can do for now. One soul against the elf that now controls my father's forces seems to strong a force to go up against. Your show of loyalty though is moving....it's the most kindness I've been shown for some time."

Her smile weakened slightly, the female suddenly twisting to the remove the dagger which had been sheathed in her side.

"This was my father's. Just as you have sworn your blade to me, so I swear mine to you. There is little that can be done for my losses, but much that can be done to aid yours. I promise to help you fulfill your mission in rebuilding your holy city - and apologize for imparting such a sad tale when we have known each other for so short a time. You are the first person I have shared my tale with and I thank you for the sympathy you have shown me in a world suddenly growing in shadow, cruelty and doom."

She felt suddenly quite fatigued. The unpacking of her secretive origin story which led her here had been a figurative weight on her shoulders for some time. Letting it out into the open was somewhat freeing, but had forced her to experience all the emotions that had flooded her that night so long ago. It had been a taxing experience, one that left her eager for sleep. Getting up she retrieved her bed roll, unfolding it onto the ground near the fire and laying down. Keeping her dagger unsheathed at her side she shifted until she was comfortable, using her oversized cloak like a blanket where she stretched out. "I am eager for some sleep. I get the sense that tomorrow's road will be much longer than today's. Goodnight, Eren." Her words were said simply, but her tone was somewhat different to how she had spoken to him before. The words were gentler, less stern and unwielding. Trusting even.

Valerie turned over and got comfortable, keeping her dagger in a light grasp as she drifted off to sleep.

Erën watched the canteen roll to a stop, and he stared at it for a time in contemplation. As she revealed just how recent the wound had been made he understood the flickering of her emotions, remembering how he had been effected in much a similar way. But the added sting of betrayal was something to consider also, and the hopelessness she felt was a worry to him. Could it be so, that such darkness had befallen Fal'Addas?

This would not do.

He scowled at the premise. Perhaps the presence of his Order had more influence than he had imagined. Or perhaps it was just another indication of a more terrible truth, a more horrible corruption overtaking the world. That in itself was always ever a fear of his caste, something they had stood against, and his Order’s reverence for Fal'Addareth prompted a seething distaste for the nefarious behavior he’d now been made aware of. He could not reconcile such acts against ones own kind.

Traitors.

And so he felt now even more need to reach Belgrath. Though his people were diminished, they were not so few that they were to be written off. If not for the curse about Sharyrdaes he would see to it that the Order would act. That would have to wait, but he perceived his meeting Valerie and her telling of her story to be of divine orchestration. Though he did feel empathy for Valerie and her loss, he feared the greater implications. It would have to be addressed, if not for her sake, than for the sake of all elves.

“Yes, we have much land to cover, and an appointment to be kept… we will meet with a dwarf by nightfall tomorrow, and he dwells nearer to the edge of the forest. He is a friend.”

So he bowed his head in return to her respect, and bid her goodnight. As she nestled herself in for the night Erën stoked the flame to produce more heat for both their comfort. He did not have anything to roll up in himself – his kind did not sleep like most others. The Shoraes, their collective telepathy, had many effects on their society. One of these things was sleep. He would not become unconscious, but rather immersed in the group consciousness while the physical body rested. But his awareness was unhindered, and at a moment’s notice an instinctual response would draw his mind from the Shoraes and return him to himself without pause.

But he had things yet to do. After a few moments tending the fire, he quietly rose and donned his scabbard belt. He proceeded near to the tree and slowly unsheathed the more magnificent of his swords, the gemstone forged into it glimmered in the dim ambience. He stuck the tip to the ground, grasped the hilt with both hands and knelt, lowering his head.

And he prayed.

Next Evening

They’d left at first light, rising from their covered gully to find their feet once again on the path. The forest grew less dense as the day progressed, though they both knew they had at least another day between the trees after this. They’d shared few words throughout the day, and rode hard for much of it. But as the daylight once again began to dwindle, they slowed.

“We’re not far now.” He said, their horses trotting along leisurely now, “Kurn, the dwarf we're to meet, he can be… brash, but he is indeed a friend.”

He’d explained very little, other than there were some possessions of Kurn's that would be helpful. He would need sponsorship to beseech the aid of the dwarves – after so long it was doubtful many in Belgrath, if any at all, would recall the old friendships they had. And even still, whether they would render aid or not was uncertain.

He could only hope.

As they rounded a bend, the path widened, and some ways down set off the side was a shoddy hut of wood, stone and mud. A small plume of smoke reached up into the trees from a sagged chimney atop the hut. He sigh escaped him, relieved.

“Ah,” he said as it came into view, “we’ve arrived.”

• Yay
Valerie awoke with before the light the following morning. She had never been one to sleep in, even less so now that she was back on the road and felt like she had a purpose to fulfill for the first time in many months. It took little to no time for her to pack up her hastily made camp. There hadn't exactly been much to begin with. What did keep her distracted however was the strange sight of the elven male resting. Something seemed...off, about the way he sat there. It was almost like he wasn't completely unconscious, capable of reacting to anything with the simple opening of his eyelids. It might have unnerved Valerie, if she wasn't slightly envious. To be able to remain aware while resting would be a blessing indeed. It most certainly would make her feel safer about shutting her eyes at night.

Despite her curiosity towards his strange state she packed up hastily, just about finished readying her steed by the time he had 'awoken' and gotten himself ready as well.

After leaving the sheltered gully they rode for many hours. Valerie might have thought they had fallen into an unending day which was looping on itself were it not for the occasional comments that the pair shared between themselves. Eventually light began to fall much to the female's relief. They slowed for the first time since starting that morning, Valerie sitting back into her saddle and taking a moment to stretch her neck by tilting her head from side to side. Eren spoke, informing her of the elves somewhat abrasive demeanor.

"I would be brash too if I lived in a hut on the edge of a forest with nigh a single visitor for months at a time." Valerie patted the side of her horses neck, being met with a decisive snort from the stallion as she muttered words of thanks to the creature in elvish.

Soon enough a small hut rose from the forest. It was neither impressive or sturdy-looking in it's structure, but Valerie had learned that any shelter at all was welcome over being exposed to the elements. The thinning trees made riding easier, but it also made any outdoor encampments much more visible to searching eyes.

Stopping by the front door she dismounted when the other male did, letting him lead the way as she instinctively kept a hand limply hanging on her dagger's hilt. Approaching the hut provided a strange amusement to the female, who let out a chuckle as she realized the top of the door frame barely reach her shoulders. She hoped for her and Eren's sake that the roof height inside would be tall enough to accommodate them. The she-elf didn't quite fancy spending the night hunched over when she had done so while riding the whole day.

"Should I introduce myself or simply remain quiet? I have little knowledge on the common mannerisms that count as respectful towards elves." Her words were whispered to Eren, Valerie's ears flicking slightly in one direction in the other as she picked up the sounds of heavy boots moving about inside. The movement made the silver hoops in her ears sway, catching the dying light as she sun set behind the horizon.

Also hearing heavy footfalls from within, Erën reached for the door handle, carefully. In his other hand he grasped his sword. He turned his head to address her, and he gave a small shake with his head, “no I don’t believe that will be necessary.”

He didn’t really answer any one point, nor was he really given the opportunity. Just as he turned and spoke to her, the door swung in, opened from the other side. Erën’s hand had not reached the handle. He turned his head sharply, tensing ever so slightly before easing at the sight of who dwelt within.
proxy.php

Before them, in the dark of the hut, stood a grey and ragged looking dwarf, who was not the tallest of their sort by any means. His left leg was false, and his back was hunched. A pipe hung from his lip, one which looked like it had been made from the twisted root of some tree. He stood there with a blank expression, which given the unkept beard and deeply wrinkled face could easily be mistaken for a frown. One arm was arched up, with a hand rested against his hip. The other hand held a cane.

He went to speak, but coughed instead, and after a brief fit tried once more with more success, “so, you’re making the journey north at last. It’s about damn time, I won’t be around much longer you know,” he said with the wave of a finger. His voice wavered, and at times he stuttered, “I’m glad to see you won’t be going alone, but I’ll admit I’m surprised you’ve chosen to ride with this… mmm…. Valerie was it?” He looked at her inquisitively, and then turned to hobble inside, “she may be of your ‘highborn’, but she knows not your way. Why not go with one of the others?”

Erën returned the same blank expression to the dwarf throughout his entire spiel, and before following him in turned back to Valerie, offering a reassuring look before ducking his head through the doorway, “yes, we ride north,” he replied, his tone stern, “and its not a concern of yours who I journey with, old friend.”

The dwarf, Kurn, did little more than grunt in reply as he made his way over to a table set near to a fireplace. He turned and sat there facing them. The table was not overly large, but there were two other chairs there, and the one side set against the wall. There were various scrolls and other items strewn about it, almost overcrowding it.

“Indeed,” he finally said, finally finding himself comfortable, and gestured to the seating before him while looking to Valerie, “please, sit.” Then, looking to Erën, he pointed over his shoulder with his thumb toward the fire, “the tea will be ready soon.”

Hung over the fire was a rather small kettle pot, not yet steaming.

“There are a few things we should talk about…”

(Image cred: Alan)

Before Eren got the chance to enter into the humble abode, the door swung open as if by a ghostly hand. The source of the opening entryway was revealed as a stout, grizzled-looking dwarf. Valerie's face kept a neutral expression, even though her mind ran amok with questions. The answers she needed only heightened at the man's suddenly naming her without any introduction as well as guessing her status within elven nobility.

The only real sign of the emotions broiling within her was a crinkling of her brows, the inner points creasing together when he mused as to why Eren would bother bringing her along as his traveling companion. A few sharp comebacks worked their way to the tip of her tongue, but a reassuring glance from Eren silenced her. The dwarf may think he knows who I am...but I am not as useless as he thinks.

At his behest, Valerie seated herself at the table. The legs of the stool were a little short, her height lending to her legs stretching out before in a lengthy manner while her knees bent upward towards her torso. It was not easy to maintain a demeanor of being comfortable, but she she-elf attempted one nonetheless.

Kurn insisted there were things they needed to discuss, causing Valerie to draw her attention back to the wrinkled being. He sat quite contently opposite her, framed in a brilliant orange by the fire place behind him.

Erën looked on at the pot, then his eyes fell to the flame where they remained for a time.

Things to discuss, of course.

Kurn looked to Valerie, nodding approvingly as she seated herself, then he looked past her. His eyes seemed fixed not on anything near to them inside, but to something far beyond. His tongue snapped against the roof of his mouth and then a sigh with the shake of his head.

“The world has grown dark indeed as of late… some time ago now, Belgrath had been laid siege.”

“A foolish endeavor,” quipped Erën.

“Well, yes and no.” Kurn breathed deeply, a rumble resonating deep in his chest, “Lor Holdram was taken, and though ultimately it ended in failure many dwarves were killed. I know not if any of my kin remain now… the city has been quiet since the attack. I’m fortunate to have gotten word of it at all.”

Behind him the pot began to whistle, and Erën moved for it.

“How have your travels been?”

Erën looked over to Valerie, and then looked to Kurn only to gaze at the back of his head, “fair thus far.” Then he returned his attention to preparing some tea. He was obviously quite familiar with this place.

“And now strangers traipse about all through the reaches of the forest… and others…”

While Erën himself had seen terrible and frightening things with his own eyes, he knew Kurn to be somewhat eccentric.

“Others?”

“None of that now,” he snapped, forcing Erën’s eyes to him again. A blank look, almost amusement, “you’ll need my forefather’s writing, and more importantly his hammer. If any of my kin still live for you to deliver this to, you may yet have a chance…” he grumbled a bit under his breath, looking down at his jacket and reaching into it. Erën arrived at the table with some tea for himself and Valerie, but not for Kurn. The dwarf took no notice, looking up only after pulling a scroll out and resting on the table with a satisfied grunt. Then he looked at Valerie with an inquisitive, wrinkling expression.

“So, what’s it with you then? There isn’t much left of Belgrath… not like your homeland, left largely untouched.” He looked over to Erën, raising the topic again, “why not Te’leis, or Aidathin? It is unlike one of the Shoraes, you know this.”

Erën breathed a deep breath, remaining relaxed and generally unaffected by Kurn's apparent disapproval.

“I do not need either of them, and besides... Valerie has proven an excellent companion.”

She was as a field mouse, silent but with stressful observation of her surroundings. This place was highly unknown to her and despite Erën's assurances that he was well-acquainted with the dwarf Valerie felt on edge. Fighting the need to grind at her teeth she listened to what information Kurn divulged on Belgrath. Surprising to herself, she felt disheartened at the news that the city had been under an attempted invasion.

So intent was she on listening and piecing apart the information with her own thoughts, the sound of the whistling kettle made her flinch slightly and her muscles tightly. Upon realizing it was simply the soot-blackened stewpot, she relaxed again. Erën began the task of preparing tea, the tension Valerie had held returning once more on Kurn's insistence of strange presences in the forest. However, the dwarf brushed it aside despite his previously serious tone, switching to what had driven them here in the first place.

Quickly he produced a scroll of paper, the pages worn yellow and edges frayed. She busied herself with wrapping her hands around the warm cup of tea that Erën had brought. While she had remained excluded from the conversation by choice, she did raise her head and clear her throat when the dwarf once again pointed out her odd accompaniment of the male elf.

"While you may know my name and my position, I do not expect you know all the exact details how I came to be where I am and the history that brought me to your humble home. I have no knowledge of who Te’leis or Aidathin are, and as such I feel it is not my place to judge my worthiness of being in this place rather than them. Perhaps they would be better suited for the journey...or maybe not, but the fact of the matter is that they are not here. Call it fate, call it coincidence, but mulling over whether or not I am a suitable choice doesn't change that. Perhaps our time would be better spent focusing on how to assist Erën."

Her words were not brash, harsh or even slightly churlish. They were rather said as if she was stating what the weather was outside, with a faint probing tone that encouraged them to move on from the topic Kurn was dwelling upon.

Kurn watched her with intent as she spoke. He remained silent, and when she had finished, he rested even more comfortably in his seat with a rumbling breath. He thought for a moment.

“You’re right. I know only what you've told him,” a nod toward Erën, “and only pieces at that. Hm. No, now I do not believe they would be better suited.” He rested his hand on the table and tapped his finger, “perhaps this is-”

“This is not an evaluation,” he snapped, then calmly continued “I have need of a companion. You cannot go. That is all that you need be concerned with on this matter.” He drank, Valerie is coming with me to Belgrath.”

A grunt from the dwarf, though more a submitted one than anything. Kurn knew he would have little to no influence on Erën once his mind had been made, and Valerie likewise seemed no less than dismissive of his aversion. Though it was not his intent to truly sway her or he, or to insult either. Merely the prodding of an old soul, set in ways now long gone.

“Yes,” he grumbled, “the hammer.”

He stood with a little wobble, and then walked toward the fireplace. He gazed in.

“It is in Alliria. My cousin Kurgun lives at the docks. It is stored away there, safely. The letter is all you'll need to get it from him.”

Erën looked out a nearby window. Outside it had become dark, earlier than he had expected. He listened, and the gentle sound of rain beginning to fall found his ears. His eyes returned to Kurn, who faced them again.

“There is a storm coming, will likely last the night. You should get the horses inside…” a look to Valerie, who was unfamiliar with his home, “there is shelter for them around back.”

Erën finished his tea and then stood. He reached up to slide the hood of his cloak over his head, and he turned for the door. As he made his way, he turned his head saying, “I will tend to them if you’d prefer to stay inside.” He opened the door to see clearly that the rain was still quite light, barely wetting the ground yet.