Private Tales Through the Mountains and Over Yonder

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Karl von Stehlen

The Stalwart Shield
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.
-Brian Greene
Just another standard courier mission, which usually meant trouble.

The actual courier mission was not the problem. Usually the actual message was delivered safely and on time, allowing his brother to pull whatever bureaucratic lever he needed to get things done. There was the occasional attempt to intercept the message, but it was easy enough for Karl to deal with it; usually overly paid bandits masquerading as assassins. However, trouble usually came with whatever Karl got caught in to-and-from his destination. Sometimes it was a bar fight, other times it might have been assassination plot.

Today, who knows?

Karl had been traveling back from the dwarven hold of Belgrath after handing off a correspondence. Something told him that this particular letter wasn't from his brother. When he received the letter, Otto seemed doubly annoyed. Perhaps it had somthing to do with their allies...

Regardless, the letter had been delivered, and the knight returning home. But on the way back, the lad must have taken a wrong turn at a junction or somthing. These were unfamiliar paths he were trotting on. Unfamiliar at least to him. The sensible individual would have perhaps turned back after realizing the mistake. But Karl?...He hardly every had a chance to really be out and about, see the world and all. This would be the perfect excuse; He'd simply gotten lost on the way back.

As the knight rode down the windy path that made up the Spiral, his trusty companion would suddenly nigh nervously. Daisy was a brave stead, enough to lead an entire formation. But if it could be helped, the mount would prefer to stay out of trouble, and Daisy was really good at sensing trouble. Neighing again the signal the mounted knight, Karl would reach over to smooth over Daisy's manes. Something was certainly watching them, even Karl could feel it.

Karl turned his helmeted head, the visors pointed up towards the sky, as he took a moment to listen...and observe...

Whatever it was?....Was it to show itself?...Or attack?
Iliris

• Yay
Reactions: Iliris
Iliris was on the lookout.

It was a task she had given herself, and it was one she performed well. Other dragon keepers were brave and meant well for all of them, but they could be careless at times, at least so she thought. The others would probably say that she was paranoid. Maybe there was some truth to that. But she had seen too many defeats, gained too many new scars from the moment they had found those first eggs. Way too many not to consider all of the possible consequences for letting anything slip past their attention.
The Spine was their home, but it also held great many foes for them.

So she did what she did the best: listened, watched and misdirected those, who came too close. Iliris wasn't the only one, of course, but she was the most relentless, and her senses were the sharpest. She strode through the mountains faster than many mounted men could.
And she watched.

And she saw.

This time it was only one man. A single man on a horse, who did look like a warrior, which made her vary, but was alone, which made him a lot less dangerous than a group. And he did seen like a simple human, just a man in armor. Of course, Iliris knew well enough that such impressions could be misleading. He was, after all, awfully close to their home. And the paths he chose only let him closer.
So she followed him.

And at a certain point she was noticed. Not so much by the man, it seemed, than by the horse he was riding. Animals were a lot sharper than men anyways. She saw him starting to pay more attention to his surroundings, her gaze heavy on the knight.

Well, if she had been notices, there was no point in hiding.

As Iliris walked on the road, a good few steps in front of the man, she made only the slightest sound. All her form was full with silent, but deadly and well-trained grace. She did not hesitate. As she stopped in the middle of the road and faced the man, peering into his visors, her gray eyes were cold and sharp.
"Who are you? And what is your business here?" she did sound as if he was an intruder, because he was. Not many used these paths, and all of them Iliris knew.

She wasn't afraid. Why should she be? She was Iliris Karion, the one who raised dragons, fought giants and survived, the one who would show anybody who wished ill to her home what it meant to face a true warrior of the Spine.

Her fingers slowly stroked the handle of her trusty sword.

• Wonder
Reactions: Karl von Stehlen
Daisy's intuition was on point, as always, as the armored man observed a women walk out into the middle of the road. Within the next moment, Karl had brought his steed to a halt, before turning to face the women. A moment of silence would go by, as it seemed the knight was contemplating his words.

"I am...rather lost..." Karl spoke, but one may have picked up a bit uncertainty in his deadpan tone. It was not necessarily the whole truth, but it sounded better then "taking the scenic route home". Besides, Karl had noticed where her hand was and could already guess her intent. This might have been her territory that he had so graciously stumbled upon, so it made sense for her to be on guard. Though the knight himself wasn't exactly the type to go plowing into trouble unless there was a good reason.

This was far from a good reason to charge.

"I am...heading towards Alliria...I don't suppose you know how to get there...from here..."
Awkward might have been somthing else any odd person might be able to pick up. Even somthing like asking for direction seemed needlessly cumbersome for the knight.

It would have been easier to crossing swords with her then ask for directions.

Still, she didn't know about his intent. For all anyone knew, he was out this far East looking for somthing to stab. Not that it would have been a sensible thing for Karl, at least not here....

• Popcorn
The man stopped his horse and spoke, which was a rather good sign, although it didn't do much for Iliris to lower her guard. Words could be deceiving, so could certain actions, and she knew better than take anything at face value, especially a potential danger. So her figure did little to shift into a more relaxed position, and even that she did only because it was better for making a strike, if it would become necessary.

"Getting lost is dangerous in these parts," there was no mocking or unnecessary threatening edge to her words, she was simply stating the obvious truth. "And you still haven't answered to my first question," she made a slow step forwards. Still not close enough for engaging in combat, but her message was clear. She was the one in control here, or so Iliris believed. And she didn't like playing games.

Alliria was indeed a long distance from here. Iliris had never been there herself, she rarely left grounds closest to the Spine as it was, but she did know the usual roads traveler took while heading there. It was true that they weren't that far away from here, at least some of them, so maybe the man wasn't lying altogether. Or maybe he just knew these places well enough to do so. "I know the paths of the Spine better than most," yes, there was a certain proud tone hear in this statement. She was a child of these mountains, and she bore her heritage like an honor. "You are too far north," she then added, with another statement being apparent underneath her words. You are too close to what belongs to me.

Perhaps he was really just a traveler who had gotten lost. If so, there was no need to deny him any assistance, it was akin to a rule of hospitality, to show the right paths on the steep mountain slopes and around them.
Yet again, Iliris didn't believe in accidental traveler this close to their home that much. The word about them had spread loud enough that many willing ears could have heard it, even if most disregarded it as a silly rumor. People raising dragons. It did sound mad.
But dragons were a valuable trophy. Oh, she knew anything there was about it.

• Wonder
"Well...danger is my profession...not always an enjoyable one, but it is a living..." Karl sighed, looking over towards the wilderness, the direction that the women had wandered from. There was some form of foreign beauty to it. It was rough and jagged, nothing like the softlands from wince the knight came from. Yet, there was somthing rather soothing about it all...even with the undertone of danger.

"Call me Karl..." The knight said suddenly, his attention turning back to the women in the middle of the road. It didn't fly over his head her tone of voice when speaking to him. People got territorial, especially when others got to close to their homes. And judging by their respective clothing, Karl was far from home.

"...I'm just a courier passing by...I come from the East, so I'm not too familiar with all these paths...at least, not yet..." Rather heavily armored courier, it was perhaps a good thing that he had dropped off his charge then.

But then there was a pause, and if one was observant enough, they might have noticed the knight's uncomfortable shift in his saddle. Though his face remained as ever stoic, his eyes may have betrayed him...as he looked away again, as if he was thinking about somthing.

"Well, truthfully..." Karl began, his eyes still did not meet hers. "...I've already completed my task...I'm just...taking my time in returning home..."

He would never despise his home, his family, his people...but there was a life beyond the borders of their home...a life he always quietly wanted to see. Be it elves or magic or whatever, it was certainly a different actually seeing and experiencing.

Didn't mean that it wasn't dangerous...but like the young knight said, danger was his profession.

"I...never meant to intrude...if that was what it appeared to be..." Karl finally looked back up. Though his expression remained indifferent, his tone softened just slightly. "...just thought it be more...tranquil, taking the long way home..."

Probably the wrong wording, but it was all he could think about saying to really excuse his actions.

• Thoughtful
Perhaps dropping her wary guard was too much to ask for Iliris, but, as the man spoke more, she did loosen bits and pieces of the imposing aura around her. She knew how to read people, maybe not in all the right situations, but she knew how danger and ill intent smelled, and there was little to none of that here. Or so it seemed. Of course, anybody could be deceived, so she stayed on her guard, but with every new word she was more and more ready to believe that this man was here, as he said, simply by a twist of faith.

As he spoke of a hardly enjoyable job, her own lips twisted in something akin to a smile. Or a scoff. Oh, she knew a lot about work like that. "Few things are safe out here, aren't they," she would definitely be the one to know.

Karl then. Very well. It was easier to trust a person if you knew their name. And Iliris would really prefer to trust the man, because it would mean that she wouldn't have to go through all the trouble of dealing with him. "Iliris," she bowed her head a little. It was only fair to finish the trade. A name for a name.

Couriers weren't an odd thing per se, but the mention of the job did make Iliris frown a bit. The profession was reasonable on its own, but few deliveries got made through these mountains. Not on foot. People preferred using portal stones and then traveling through lowland, even if it meant spending more time on the road. Mountains weren't a joke, and Spine was a beast of its own. "An odd way of taking one's time," she remarked, her voice flat once again. "There are more pleasant paths for that."

But, as if he was reading Iliris' mind (or simply being attentive of her tone and gestures), the next thing that came from Karl was an explanation that was too sincere and simple to be fabricated. Or maybe it was just fabricated very well. "I hope so, for your own sake," intruders weren't welcome here, not only near their home, but also in other parts of the Spine. Orcs and giants didn't like random travelers all that much.
Although, maybe Karl really did seen the more peaceful route for a reason, one that she didn't know, but could understand well enough. Hadn't she herself sought peace in mountains more than once? And dreaded wathever destination laid in front of her. "Mountains can give one a bit of peace, I'll give you that," she finally nodded after a bit of silence, taking a short step back, half turning away from the man, looking at the path in front of them, "But it isn't an even bargain. If you wish, I could show you your way out of here. There are things far worse than me that you could meet in these mountains," the decision had been an impulsive one, but it really didn't seem like that bad of an option. If she led him out of here, it would mean loosing some time, but, at the same time, she could be sure about the outcome of this man's little journey.
And Iliris liked being sure of things like that.

• Popcorn
"I suppose there are better paths..." Karl nodded when the women, Iliris, spoke. His eyes would fall to the ground, despite his more somber expression. She wasn't wrong to question his intent, especially given the alternative routes to heading home. "...but I suppose my definition of "pleasant" is rather warped compared to it's natural expression..."

Pleasant didn't necessarily mean safe, yet it didn't mean violence for him either. It was merely a change of scenery outside of the realm he had called home. It may have been dangerous, but like the knight said; it was his profession to be in danger. A change in environment wasn't going to make that fact less true...if anything, it'll at least be somthing different to look at.

Regardless, it didn't escape Karl that the women wanted him out of the mountains. For what end? The knight couldn't be too sure. This might have been her turf...her home, make sense to want trespassers leaving. It was the same back home; unwanted trespassers were asked firmly to leave, if not by words then by the blade.

Letting out a warm sigh, Karl looked back at the women. Perhaps it would be better to cut this trip short...running into unnecessary trouble might end up delaying him more then he could afford. The knight still had to report back...and write that report...

"I suppose that would be a kind offer..." Karl nodded, ensuring his grip upon the reins of his steed, who also let out a rather loud neigh. "...I may take you up upon that offer...though I wonder...what is it you seek, perhaps in return?...If you don't mind me saying, it seems awfully nice to be helping a stranger...considering the risks you put forth...and as said: It isn't an even trade."

• Yay
Iliris curled her lips into a wry smile, nodding shortly. "Well then, not that I can blame you for it," her eyes went up and down the man once more, "Although it's still not the best trait to have."
Having exotic preferences could lead to the most atrocious kind of death.

Her request wasn't denied. Which was good, since it made everything a great deal easier. And also lifted the possibility of having to engage in a pointless battle from her shoulders. At least for now. Iliris had never been an optimist, believing in the good that tomorrow could bring was very much not like her. But she could enjoy the small thing while they lasted.
So the answer in general had been quite reassuring, but the questions that came with it, although completely reasonable, were not as pleasant. Giving a truthful answer to them would mean revealing too much, telling the things that she had wanted to protect in the first place. Because maybe Karl truly didn't know of existence of the dragon keepers, but maybe, if he did, his interests here would change. Maybe he would drop a wrong word here or there, and it would bring them trouble.
Maybe, maybe, a ton of possibilities, all of which came from truth, from blind trust and hope. Iliris didn't like those things. Lies could bite back, but they could be calculated. Half-truths even more so.

"You could consider it a gesture of hospitality," she finally said after a brief moment of silence, during which her face had remained still, guarded and controlled. What she did could truly be a simple, well-meaning gesture. If she had been another, better, more foolish person. "You could also presume that there are certain things in these mountains that aren't meant for outsider's eyes," Iliris spoke evenly, the last part of the sentence gaining a sharper edge. This was as close to the full truth as she could get, yet it still remained quite broad.
There could be great many things hidden between the slopes of the spine. Her tribe once used to be one of those. Her new family was now one. But there were thousands of other secrets guarded here, and blind guesses would take a great deal of time to reach the correct answer.

"So then? Do you accept my offer?" her tone didn't really imply anything more than the words did, but Iliris' heart grew heavier with these questions. If Karl would say no, she would still have to follow him.

And, if it became necessary, intervene again. This time with more force.

"It's not often we get to choose the traits we possess...that is a matter of where one's born, how they grow...and what we make of it in the grander scheme..." Karl said, closing his eyes as Daisy let out a casual neigh. Had things been different, the two of them might have not been speaking. But he was here, she was there...only thing they could do was roll the dice and see.

Karl could only raise an eyebrow when she had mentioned the word hospitality, as the knight opened his eyes once more with questionable eyes but a rather indifferent expression. Hospitality of showing him to the front door...he wasn't aware that these lands were controlled by any greater power...perhaps a minor governance...rather curious...as the knight was told that the "Spine" was orc infested territory. In fact, the her very presence was very curious indeed....

The knight couldn't help but spare a glance towards the wilderness that surrounded them, before refocusing on the women in front of him. Perhaps there were others watching...no doubt a bullseye pointed at the man whom encroached on their lands. Real hospitality would have been an invitation was inviting a stranger to rest and share one's spot at the campfire...least that was how Karl was taught, not that Karl expected it elsewhere, but....if you were going to use the term...

Perhaps it was simply a matter of differing cultures....these weren't exactly the same environments as the softlands...probably better if the knight was not about to get into a scuffle this far from home turf and without any potential for backup. Probably best if he got moving once more, he was expected to make his return home soon anyhow...

"There are a lot of things in this world that 'aren't' meant to be...yet people insist on pursing it...for better or worse..." Karl grunted as his plume continue to waver under the pressure of the wind. There was now no doubt in his mind that there was some sort of greater conspiracy in his mind, she simply just confirmed what he had suspected. Still, his people had no interest in these parts...and it was simply better not to get one into unnecessary trouble...not intentionally, anyways.

"It be nothing but rude if I refused...thus...I suppose I will take you up on that offer..." The knight said, tilting his head in confirmation, before immediately dismounting. Reins in his hands, Karl led his trusty companion up to the women...looking upon her with the same expression as when she first walked out.

"Lead on."

• Yay
Iliris simply nodded, there was nothing she could put against the man's words. It was truly not often that a person got to choose what made them, what shaped and defined them. Her own greatest decision had after all been simply an aftermath of events that were out of her control.

She could almost see the thoughtful air around Karl, although his exact thoughts remained hidden from Iliris. She was no mind reader after all. But it wasn't that hard to guess that her understanding of hospitality might have been different from his. And fairly so. For many hospitality was inviting one to their fireplace, giving them food and rest, making them feel welcomed, and it wasn't always far from that in the Spine. But mountains were vast, and in some places the most welcoming thing anybody could do was, going against the word itself, show the traveler out. There were place where no other hospitality was to be found.
If Karl were to be wounded or truly lost, then she would have considered showing him different kind of hospitality.
But he was perfectly fine, and still a potential threat, so Iliris deemed this the best path.

Of course, he still inquired. Even if not by questions, his words still reeked of curiosity and possibility, a scent which made Iliris press her lips into a thin line. "Well then their mistakes can serve as a warning for others, don't you think?" her eyebrows shot up, almost challenging.

"A wise choice," she nodded once more as Karl gave his final answer, some tension drawing away from her. Good. Now it was only a question of choosing the roads that would take them through these parts far away from the dragons. They liked to fool around after all, especially the younger ones, and Iliris simply didn't have the heart to take it from them. It was the point of the dragon keepers after all: to give these creatures freedom and happiness.
And pay with some loss of secrecy.

She just hoped that others were keeping a close look on their scaly fellows today.

With that considered, Iliris didn't hesitate to star walking. She chose a fast pace, at least for the general human. One that wasn't too hard to keep up with, but got them moving swiftly as well. Of course, normally she traveled a lot faster, but the man and his horse probably weren't up for a sprint.
"We should reach the main route by morning," she added after a moment, turning her head to Karl. He had wandered far enough from the usual paths travelers took, but not awfully far. She herself would be able to get back home before evening tomorrow, soon enough that nobody would worry too much.

That is, if they were lucky. For all she said with the true intention of protecting the dragon keepers, these paths were truly not the safest ones. There were wild animals. Orcs, who weren't always too welcoming. And some beasts worse than those two.

"The races of old don't often learn from their mistakes...nevermind us humans..." It wasn't his words, it was his brothers. A saying that Karl had heard Otto echo numerous times when dealing with either their dwarven allies or human neighbors. It might have been under similar sentiment did they send him on this particular mission. "It is the arrogance of our superiority that convinces us that we may yet conquer where all else fails...despite the warnings...they see it as a challenge..."

Karl wasn't consciously thinking about what he said, perhaps it was only the simple logical conclusion when thinking about what she had said. A change of scenery, yes...challenge? Not necessarily...it would be be too much of an unnecessary hassles.

Besides, if Karl wanted a challenge, it was an easy matter of riding home and asking for his next assignment.

Karl and Daisy kept up with Illiris fine, as the knight kept up a brisk pace behind the women with Daisy in-tow. Daisy didn't want to really speed up that much, or else the mount would have to break into a trot. And given the context, there was no real urgency to run.

Traveling through these parts reminded Karl much of the merchants that Karl had to escort every so-often through Strojland, least when there was a feral beast on the loose or an external bandit threat tried to embed itself.

By morning, huh? The knight didn't think he traveled off the main road too far...but then again, he didn't know where this particular road in the first place....perhaps really would be better for her to lead on...but despite his calm or indifferent expression, a quiet part of him was ready, was always ready...in case she led them into a planned or unplanned ambush.

"You live among these lands?" Karl wondered, though he didn't hold much expectation for how much she would share. Illiris did seem like the stand-offish type, as there was a rather directed urgency in her words...though the knight has been wrong before. It might have made the trip at least a little more interesting...instead of just starring into the back of her head. "Sticking with family?...Responsibility?...The thrill?...The chills?..."

• Yay
Iliris gave the man a crooked smile at those words, her posture loosing some of its harshness at that, "Yet there is a difference between being daring and reckless. And hiding behind words like that means only making up excuses for one's lack of character. We are all prone to change, and it is up for us to make it a good one," yes, humans had a brief life when compared to that of others, but it was a way to some of their greatest strengths. Ability to change, adapt, overcome. Learn and improve, all in much shorter terms than races that had more time to live, and, therefore, more time to spare.

The road in front of them was calm enough. For now. But it had many twists and turns, and even she had trouble predicting what was ahead of them for more than some dozens of steps. At least she had the benefit of actually knowing what they could expect to meet here. And senses that were probably not worse if not better than those that the man's horse had, not to speak about Karl himself. If only he didn't have some secret talents up his sleeve, he was probably as good as blind and deaf, by Iliris' own standards, which were, admittedly, very, very high.
For now, however, it wasn't that important. Whatever they could avoid, she would make sure they did avoid. And whatever they couldn't would come close enough that there weren't much of a difference anyways.

And they really weren't that far off the main road, so the harshest touch of wilderness wasn't to be found here. It was just that the roads in mountains went up and down, changed their direction, split and then reunited again at the most unexpected times. If she was alone, Iliris would have cut the travel time substantially by simply going through the forest. But the horse wouldn't make it, and traveling like that was more dangerous.
Being in the open had its benefits.

"I do," she replied briskly, as Karl broke the silence, which was probably that silent only for him. Iliris heard the bustling of life far around. "I used to live here with my family. They died. Now I'm here for responsibility, yes," the life in the Spine was indeed no fairy-tale, and dropping the more grim details of one's life was a good way to make the conversation falter and die.
She didn't mourn her past anymore after all.

But those thoughts got wiped right out of her mind soon enough, as a very distinctive cracking sound echoed through the air. It was definitely loud enough for the horse to hear, and probably Karl could catch it as well, if he listened carefully enough. It was a sound of a branch snapping. A very big branch. Small tree even.
The rest of the forest had gone quiet for a moment, as if trying to tell what this new sound was.

Iliris had stopped in the middle of her step, her head turning to the side where the sound came from. It could have been a simple sound. Yes she didn't believe things like that. Simple sounds never made forest go this quiet.
There was something going on. And she could only hope that it had nothing to do with them.

• Popcorn
"Take words with a grain of salt...that applies in either directions..." Karl grunted, as he lead Daisy on. He hadn't much opinion either way about humans as a whole. The knight had seen the "good" and intelligent, but at the same time there were those who made decision that could be labeled as "bad", even stupid. Take everything as they come...part of the strategical mindset really...

"I'm sorry to hear...losing family is never easy..." Karl said, his voice a bit too monotone for the subject. But he was geunine about his words...the death of anyone was always a solemn experience. "...why ever your still here...I hope it brings honor to you and your family..."

Daisy was rather calm as he followed his human companion. Daisy didn't really think much of it, they were in a creepy place, but it wasn't the first time. Why they romped to dangerous places, he couldn't tell you. Ah well...at this point Daisy was just used to it...any minute now they would be attacked by some big monstrosity...

Daisy heard the crack...right on schedule...as the equestrienne let out a sighing-nigh...here we go again...

Karl also heard the snap, coming to a halt with Daisy stopping on cue. The knight's eyes was still on her, watching for the slightest indication of Iliris's movements. She was looking towards the forest, as if somthing had spooked her.

Karl wondered if this was the "adventure" he had spoken of....Yay....

Slowly and quietly, Karl turned his head enough to look towards the forest. Whatever it was that had caused everyone to stop in their tracks...at least they'd have a moment to get into their combat stances before the thing was ontop of them...

She simply nodded briskly in the answer to that. It was fair for them to hold to their respective points of view, and, frankly, arguing about the human nature was quite far from the top of Iliris' priority list right at the instant. She far preferred getting moving again, completing the burning task on hand as fast as possible, to then indulge in philosophical debates some other time. Perhaps in some other company as well.
She couldn't exactly say, whether the knight awoke any sympathy in her or not.

"My family's honor is hardly any concern of mine anymore," Iliris' voice was bitter, even if only faintly so. Yes, she carried the name Karion to this very day, but it was more of a commodity to her than anything else. People preferred to deal with those with a proper name. And whatever else it might be tied with mattered little, since every single other person with that name was either dead or had banished her. "But I live a life far more honorable now," she added, truly to herself and not Karl, although the words were spoken out loud.
Her life was better now. It was as it was supposed to be.

The sound had come from some distance, but Iliris knew better than to trust in the safety of space. Some creatures could move with such speed that there was truly little difference between being several steps or inches away.
Yet there was some advantage of being warned in advance. At least she could, listening closer to the forest, slowly draw her sword. Turning her head to Karl, with a wary expression.
"Some animal. Or beast. Or orcs. The last would be the worse," she spoke barely loud enough for Karl to hear, not wanting to disturb anything else that might have been here.

After a moment, there was another cracking sound, this time closer. A lot closer. Maybe it was the work of an echo, or the creature was moving fast. She watched the treeline closely, trying to distinguish whatever was hiding there, but there was little to be seen behind trunks and branches.
Until, with a new sound, there was finally something to be seen there. Patches of white fur, still not enough to tell, what it was, dropping the fact that this creature was large and approached fast.

There went the hope that it wasn't here for them.

• Popcorn
"Then...whatever it is you serve or fight for now...may it bring you honor for as long as your days remain bright." Her vagueness was what gave it away...and while Karl couldn't tell what she was part of, it sounded she was rather content with her present. Quietly, he was glad for her...though he only hopped whatever she sounded so proud about didn't have anything to do with undead cults or somthing. It would really be a nuisance if Karl ended up getting entangled in somthing like that.

When the two individuals had frozen in place, Karl was mentally fortifying himself...even as Iliris listed off the potential threats. Though, none of what she had said seemed anything out of the ordinary, at least compared to the threats that often came wandering into their lands. Orcs might have been the only exceptions, as while Karl had seen them and heard stories, he never really went toe to toe with one. Though, from talks of people who have...they seem to have thought Karl might have been capable of matching strengths with one. Not as an easy feat, to say the least.

When the noise became even more apparent did Karl adjust his head slightly to look over. If Iliris had a hard time spotting what it was, Karl would have just as much trouble seeing through to their potential ambusher. Instead, Karl released the reins of his mount and placed it on his upper sword's hilt. If worse really did come to worse, Daisy would take off and come back, having better senses then Karl did, he would be able to out run the danger easily.

Karl on the other hand raised his shield, a plan-of-engagement already forming, ready to spring to action when he finally got eyes on the thing. One of the most nerve racking part of any potential battle was always the waiting portion...a thought that kicked around in the knight's mind...but did very little to show itself on his face...

• Yay
"Thank you," she gave Karl a look that had something akin to careful and still guarded respect in it, "Those are kind words to say to a stranger." Especially since the man had very little actual knowledge as to what her true occupation was. Yet he still wished for honor to be found in her way, and, most probably unknown to himself, he had said just the right thing for her. Honor was important. Above all for a person who tried so desperately to regain and clean theirs.

The wait made her tense as well. She had been in this exact situation dozens upon dozens of times, truly more than she could ever hope to count, even given her relatively young age, but the suspend of the last moments before the strike from an unknown enemy... those were always the worst. Iliris knew the things she was capable of doing, she trusted her hand and her blade, but some traces of uncertainty never left. She had been fast, strong and smart enough up until now, but one never knew when would the time come, when they weren't.
At least she wasn't alone. And, with all her newfound respect and even appreciation of Karl's company, she wasn't truly ready to die to protect him. That put her in a good spot.

Her hand tightened around the hilt of her sword.

Then, with the last crack from the trees, the beast showed itself. It was no orc, that much was clear right away, but the fact did little to dissipate her worries. Fear even, although fear was a strong word, one that she preferred not use. But this creature was worth at least a drop of that feeling, because it was taller than the tallest man she had ever seen, with dirty white fur and bared yellowish teeth through which clouds of warm breath escaped. It was similar to a wolf, if wolves could grow to the size of a bear, although there were hints in its appearance and movement that clearly stated that it had little to do with simple animals.
Iliris, unsurprisingly, recalled the name of this beast in a split second, although she had never seen it this close. The memory did little to encourage her.
"Amarok," she said, even if the knowledge would do little to help Karl, if he didn't suddenly turn out to be knowledgeable in the beast of far north. Yes, this creature was too far south for it to be usual. Amaroks were solitary, rare and usually only ever visited the northernmost parts of the Spine.
Of course, that bore little relevance right now. The task of staying alive was way more important.
"I'll distract it, go in from the flank," Iliris had a split second to think, so she chose the most common strategy she deployed in battle. She could withstand powerful blows. The other person needed to be quick and brave enough to use that and attack from the side.

The amarok took little time to eye and smell them, it had set upon their track beforehand, and now it took only a few heartbeats to lunge forwards. Iliris made two long strides towards it as well, raising her sword, as her skin had started to turn into stone already.
Now all she could hope for was that Karl would listen to her and not try to jump in head to head as well.