Open Chronicles They Might Be Giants

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Ragna

Fee fi fo fum
Character Biography
Link
The central Spine mountains, north east of Crobhear Lake.

There was always snow to be found in the Spine. Even the hottest summers couldn't remove it from the higher peaks and valleys. The spine of the world, peaks so high that they held up the sky. They were the dominant feature on the horizon for much of Epressa, a gargantuan mountain range that cut across the continent.

The Stone Shields rarely ventured so far south but other pressures had made them send foragers further afield. Hunting varied from region to region but the giants would follow the mammoths and other beasts that roamed the highlands as well as tending to their own flocks that they kept in their mountain strongholds.

Ragna didn't worry too much about stealth while making her way along the slope. There were few predators she had to worry about. Halting atop a crag, she crouched and scanned the lower uplands, watching as a herd of mountain deer grazed placidly. Removing her bow from her back, she began to string it, all the time keeping her eyes on her prey.

The arrow she nocked would have served a human or orc as a spear. Rising to her full height, she drew it back to her cheek, squinting as she aimed. The arrow sent the deer skidding along the ground a few feet. Its skittish companions fled as the giantess roared to the sky, warning off other predators from stealing her kill.

Clambering down the rock face, Ragna landed on all fours before tramping over to the carcass.

Bergelmir

• Yay
Reactions: Bergelmir
Bergelmir had been roaming the slope when he heard the roar of what sounded like kin. He wore confusion on his face as most his kin were yet higher up the slopes, rarely venturing this low save to find new mammoths for their herds atop the peaks.

His steps were deafing in the snow, though the soft rumble of his approach still could be felt for a distance as he easily jogged toward the source of the sound. The runes across his whole body shimmering lightly against the cold as his only defense against the cold was a large patchwork piece of fur splayed across his shoulders.

His presence made clear as a herd of mountain deer spread around him, giving him a wide berth as he came across a giant he did not recognize.

She bore no symbols of his clan, and she seemed busy with a fresh kill before her as he stopped a fair distance from her, seeing her bow about her.

"And who might you be that travels this far up the mountain?" Bergelmir hollered as he kept his distance. "I'd beg to say kin judging by your looks, but not of my clan surely."

Ragna

• Yay
Reactions: Ragna
Ragna heard the newcomer before she saw him. She stopped near her kill and calmly nocked an arrow as the other giant came into view. His intent didn't appear to be for battle though as he stopped a respectful distance away. Ragna kept her bow in her hands but didn't draw it.

"I travel along it, not up" she shot back, recognising the speech of those who lived up high. Hill giants were comfortable in most climes but even they would rather not eke out an existence in a land of constant snow. She kept her tone level, not wanting a challenge unless she had to. There could be a dozen eyes on her for all she knew. "I saw no clan markings".

She let out a short laugh at the statement. "I am no orc but not of your clan. I am Ragna of the Stone Shields" she pronounced, naming her clan in a stylised greeting. "Who are you?". Blunt and to the point, but her kind often were.

• Yay
If the bow at the ready bothered him, it didn't show much save for a healthy look at the weapon. The statement of through and not up caught his attention, looking at the kill near her. His gaze shifted back to her as his thumbs saddled themselves behind the large buckle about his waist. His posture slouched a bit, his bare chest and belly presented as an easy target.

"Bergelmir, of the White Tops." He wasn't interested in fighting another giant, even if this was technically claimed land. He had no claim to it, just belligerent elders among the clan still held to old ties of the land.

"Hmm, you shouldn't run into any of my clan then if you stay this far down. Much higher though and the eager ones might come down to find you." He warned her, his eyes narrowing at her before speaking again.

"Stone Shield eh?" Bergelmir had heard of some other groups of giants below the peak, but his curiosity had won out against the elders warning. Which was why he found himself here.

He looked away from the moutain, to the land below and far away before turning back to Ragna.

"Orcs, those lot near here then?" He stated blandly, the runes on him shining a bit brighter than before. Even they on the peak knew of orcs, and maintained a dislike of the beings.

Ragna

• Yay
Ragna relaxed a little as the other did. He advanced no further, this encounter would not end in bloodshed at least. He named his clan, it was unknown to her. Lower down on the slopes she might have known it, some were allies, others bitter enemies. They would fight for territory, tribute, even prestige.

"I stay on the lower slopes. I have no desire to climb to the sky" she said. Truth be told it was the highest she'd roamed in many a moon. It was only her hunting of the herd that had brought her this far. Territory fluctuated with each season as a clan or tribe's strength waxed or waned. She still felt no need to grovel "And you should not venture too low lest you meet my clan".

Her gaze followed his and she shrugged, "I have seen tracks but the small ones are clever and quick. I have not seen more than a glimpse. Have they been at your flocks?"

As a peace gesture, she placed her arrow back in the bag, moving to hold her bow like a staff.

• Yay
"The sky above is beautiful and clear, but the wind that comes with is an unforgiving mother. Makes one wish for a less harsh life at times." Bergelmir spoke carefully, he had come down alone but he had not checked behind him for some time. He doubted any had followed, but confidence gave way to folly at times.

When she mentioned travelling lower and meeting her clan, his brow arched a bit but said nothing, his hand rubbing his jaw as talk of orcs began.

"Something has been bothering them, but we have not seen nor heard what it was. Leaves no trace on the land, and the winds will not relent for us to hear it draw near. I doubt orcs but I do not speak for all in my clan, and my words fall on the stones." Bergelmir explained, turning to face the peak and spitting harshly when he finished speaking.

"I pity them, but I will have no more of their troubles if they will not hear me." The words coming out with a soft hiss in his tone.

"I've left them to their fate for the time, if only to learn more of the world below." His eyes falling onto her once more, the last bit almost seeming like a question in the air between them.

• Yay
Ragna nodded with understanding. At times the wind could blow with such force as to even blast a giant off the mountain, even on the lower slopes of the Spine. The sky, the wind, the air, the elements all had a way of reminding those who lived in Arethil of their place in the wider world.

Her brow furrowed as he described their predicament, "Have they taken from your flocks? And yet you say there are no tracks?". She knew the issue of words on deaf ears. Just because you could speak around the feasting fires didn't mean that you would be listened to.

Her interest was piqued now by such a mysterious harasser, what was brave or stupid enough to raid from a giant's flock? "And you think to find answers lower down? I fear for my own flocks if they dare to raid frost giants".

• Yay
Bergelmir nodded at the question. "They have taken from the flock. Nothing of tracks, only the squall of the mammoths when they have lost one." Having pondered on the possible culprits already, it had dawned on him that while the elders tended the stones that held their history and teachings, the stones did not know everything it seemed.

"Whatever they may be, it seems they enjoy the veil of snow and wind. It has traveled the peak's ridge and steals from others that live there. I would not fear it below the snow." Bergelmir explained. The mysterious attacker had gone back and forth along the whole length of the peaks in the last few years, plucking mammoths from the tribes as it went. No traceable path or pattern to speak of as other frost tribes sent warning to others in hopes of stopping the assailant.

"The stones tell us nothing of what this could be. So I've left to find more words, more stories of monsters, and put a name to what ails us. And to stop it." Bergelmir said plainly.

• Yay
The wilds of the Spine. Home. It was in the dense forests, sudden meadows, and innumerable creeks that Weylin found himself in right now. His thick wool hood was pulled up over his head. His cloak of the same covered his crouching form. Bow in hand with an arrow notched but not yet drawn. He and his ever present companion White were watching a herd of deer. They had been following them for an hour or two, but hadn't had an opening for a clean kill shot. This part of the Spine was unfamiliar to them after all and it was hard to say who lived and claimed it. Caution was always best in these kind of situations.

An opening finally presented itself. Weylin draw back the arrow as White began to creep forward. It was the hunting ritual for them. The moment the arrow hit the mountain dog would run the deer down. They were a pack of two.

...but then something happened. A spear impaled a deer and the herd scattered in all directions. Weylin and White blinked. Then the roar came and both disappeared into the undergrowth. A giantess came thundering down the mountain and shook the ground. This was not good at all. He had no idea that they were this far down the Spine. Had he wondered into a clan's territory?

A second male giant soon showed up as well. Two giants. This was not where Weylin wanted to be right now. Orcs were bad enough to deal with but giants were worse. He had a hope of fighting off an orc after all. A giant could just step on him and crush his ribs, his lung, his heart, and his dreams. The best thing for them to do right now was just hold still and wait for them to pass as the pair hadn't spotted the hunter or his dog.

Their loud voices echoed over to Weylin as he laid low trying his best to seem like he was part of this bush he was in and White as if she was just a snow drift against it. Their conversation was interesting. Seemed they were not part of the same clan and there was some issue of mammoths going missing from the male's herd. Good. That should keep them focused on each other instead. Giants were aggressive beings after all and even more so with each other. If this kept up then he might find himself a chance to slip out of here unnoticed. All he could do now was pray they started to fight so he could run for it.

Ragna Bergelmir

• Yay
Reactions: Bergelmir and Ragna
Ragna made a face. "And if it goes not below the snows you think we might have the answer?" she said, her tone was dubious but then she shrugged. "I am a hunter but perhaps our skald or wise ones will know. I can bring you there but you must swear an oath of peace". He seemed reasonable but she had no intention of being stabbed in the back.

She stooped and pulled the arrow out of her kill. "It means cutting my hunt short but I think the others will wish to hear this news". She rose and put her arrow away. She frowned and her nostrils twitched as the wind changed. There was a new scent there, something off.

"Do you smell something?" she asked, her eyes roving the seemingly empty slope. She took a step or two to the side, not quite sure where it was coming from.

When her tone showed a bit of doubt, his heavy sigh followed shortly behind it. "It may have gone below in times past. Always wise to ask questions before rushing to an end." He reasoned as she told him of her hunt being cut into.

"I will do as you ask, and if need be help hunt to remedy my interruption." He offered as she looked around him. He turned away from her, arms moving to his side's as the runes flared in bright blue.

His own nostrils flared as his gaze swept slowly over the area around them. "What have you caught wind of?" Turning his back to her, his trusting her a clear sign of cooperation as he tried to make out the scent on the wind.

"What-?" Bergelmir seemed puzzled. It was a new smell to him, He turned back to the other giant for explanation, unsure of what to do. "What is that smell?"

The female was a hunter like Weylin it seemed. That made sense given the spear arrow she murdered that deer with. That herd was going to be annoying the find again. Might be better off searching for a rabbit or squirrel for a quick meal.... His stomach growled slightly. It had been a couple days since he had eaten. Here he was now thinking of food too instead of focusing on survival. He needed to focus back on the giants or he might be a meal next.

While Weylin was unfocused the rest of the conversation past him by. Their mention of smell though didn't. He froze hearing that. Was it him? It had to be. He knew that bath was a terrible idea. It was better to smell of dog or just general wood smell than to smell human in the Spine. What was he going to do? He needed to do something or they might sort him out.

After looking around him, Weylin found that there was nothing good. It was all twigs and leaves and scraps of nuts. What was he going to do? As if in response his eyes settled onto a fallen branch from a pine. It was covered in sticky sap as well. That was the best option here so he carefully pulled it to himself then began to spread the tree blood all over his clothes. He was careful to minimize his moment as well hoping he would just seem like a hare or maybe a fox hiding out in the bush. Hopefully the combination of the pine scent and the little movement kept his identity hidden.

Ragna Bergelmir

• Yay
Ragna gave a handwave as if the deer was of little consequence. "It may be that the news of this will be worth more than the carcass of one deer" she dismissed. "We will hunt again if it is needed". The offer was appreciated though. Her tone remained respectful with no hint of rebuke.

She made a face as she was asked. "I know not" she grumbled, taking another sniff. She took a few steps forward, the ground quaking slightly with each one. She laughed after a moment, "Perhaps I am hungry. I could have sworn I smelt meat". She took another few steps, scanning the ground around her. Something caught her eye and she frowned.

"Hark" she said, tramping through the light snow. She stooped to peer at marks there, squinting to make out the detail on the smaller shapes. "Tracks". Tiny ones, smaller than a child's. "There was a human here" she said, not knowing how close they were to one.

"I hope that you all do not have to use the warning." Bergelmir added as she gave credit to the knowledge. She laughed before looking again and something catching her eye.

She explained what she saw, and wonder took him for a moment. A human? He had never met one before, so this was an excellent opportunity to do so.

Examining the footsteps himself, he had to wonder about how the tiny beings survived. His face screwed up into what could be seen as amusement before he looked to Ragna.

"Are they dangerous? They seem but wee little things." Bergelmir asked, his tone curious.

It seemed the pine sap worked and Weylin's scent had been masked. White had slowly inched her way under the bushes with him and now looked like a big pile of snow had made it under the bush. Not unusual given how often and much it snowed up in the Spine, but could still give them away if those giants really looked closely. His clothing was all either a shade of green or brown so should blend in with the dirt and plants if they again didn't look closely. Maybe they would be able to stay safe and hidden....

Then Weylin wanted to curse himself. He had gotten so focused on following those deer earlier that he forgot to cover all of his tracks. Or maybe he had and it was just a testament to the skill of the giantess' hunting prowess. Either way, she identified that a human was around. This wasn't good. This wasn't good at all. The worst case was slowly coming to pass and the two giants seemed to be on relatively friendly terms. Well friendly enough they weren't going to break out into a fight over nothing. That meant they could focus entirely on him if they wanted too. Seemed the hunter had become the hare in this situation after all.

Laying as absolutely still as humanly possible, Weylin waited with a hand over White's neck. He was hoping he could break some of her outline and help them blend into these bushes better. Giants were big so there was a chance they could overlook them like he could overlook a ground squirrel. His best bet right now was to just pray Lady Luck favored him enough that they lost interest and left. It was actually his only bet right now....

Ragna Bergelmir

• Yay
Ragna shrugged, "They breed like gnolls or orcs. One on their own isn't dangerous but they never come alone". She sounded sombre. Their kind had roamed across Arethil once before the smaller races had driven them into the wilds, up into the hills. "And they are cunning craftsmen" easy for someone whose tribe still worked with stone a lot.

"You don't seem them as much on the higher slopes. They don't do well at altitude. They don't live this high but you might see them hunting". Usually a brandished club and a threatening roar was enough to send them scurrying. She travelled to the lowlands but one got sick of arrows being shot at you or panicked villagers running to alert the militia.

She frowned as her eye caught something. "I may get a staff for the kill". Rising, Ragna strode towards some undergrowth, her mouth pursed in thought. She stooped, her hand reaching in to catch at what looked like a loose branch, it was sticking out of a pile of snow.

"These humans seem a nuisance. How many are in the world?" Bergelmir asked. If these humans were like either the gnolls, or orcs, they couldn't be that dangerous right?

Then the mention of a staff for the kill shed more light on the matter. "A staff for that lowly of a thing? They must be skilled crafters indeed." Bergelmir watched her with a touch of excitement now.

Humans were a foreign thing for him, but now he would have a better idea of what they would look like if they found one here.

• Yay
Reactions: Weylin Kyrel
The two giants still remained. Why couldn't they just get tired and leave already? The male didn't seem to know much about humans, but the female one spoke with familiarity. The giantess even was comparing them to orcs and gnolls. That comment got a momentary flash of anger from him and a frown. He was not like the orcs. His people were not like them either. They didn't go around attacking towns and settlements for the joy of blood. They didn't even do it for resources. Better to trade and work togeth-

The giantess made a comment about getting a staff for a kill and then approached Weylin and White. All his previous thoughts were gone and he was intensely focused on the moment. White had begun to growl lowly as if whispering out of nervousness. He placed a hand over her muzzle which calmed her down and made her stop growling. What could have caught the attention of the female giant? Please let it be something near them but not them....

Then Ragna grabbed Weylin's arm over White.

Bergelmir

• Yay
"Many" was the answer. "Many times many and many times more that". They were as numberless as the stars in the sky or the leaves in the forest. She grunted as her hand touched off something fleshy.

Ragna's arm encircled whatever it was and she pulled up sharply. Her eyes bulged as a human came out of the undergrowth, her hand locked around his arm. The shock made her let go, letting him drop. She let a roar out, more from the surprise than fear.

Bergelmir found it hard to guess how many humans were in the world with her explanation. If they numbered so many, it was surprising that the little things hadn't wiped out the orcs or gnolls considering they were likely prey for both groups by the sound of it.

When she grabbed something and pulled it to the sky, Bergelmir's brow knit together as he only had a moment to see what Ragna had drawn up before she roared and dropped the thing. Her roar had caused him to look behind them, thinking something had silently struck her from the backside.

He didn't watch the human fall or see where it landed as he looked behind them to spot an attacker.

She had his arm. She had his arm and lifted him up out of the bushes. Weylin's eyes widened and he tried to squirm in her grasp, but it didn't do anything. The giantess' grip was too strong for any hope of him freeing himself. A wince of pain spread across his face as she squeezed his arm and then she dropped him. He fell onto the bushes, thankfully, then bounced to the ground in front of him. She roared out and he scrambled to his feet but fell to his backside. His arm was throbbing from where she had gripped it.

White bust out of the bushes and started to bark up a storm. Growling followed as the big white mountain dog, although likely looking like a rat next to a hare to Ragna , got between the giantess and Weylin. He started to try and calm her down. He knew how nervous and frightened she was. He felt the same ways after all, but it was more likely to get them eaten than save them right now. No way a dog could frighten two giants away.

Oh by the gods... was Weylin about to be eaten right now? He began to wonder that as he continued to work on getting White to stop. His eyes never fully left the giants. It took a moment but he got the dog to stop barking and just growl lowly. Was the best he could hope for right now. He began to wonder if he should say something or keep quiet right now. Saying something was best. Every tale always went the same way. Those who spoke to the giants and tricked or persuaded them could find a way to get away but those who didn't died. He went to speak but couldn't find his words. He tried again and once more nothing came out. He was dead....

Bergelmir

• Yay
Ragna glared down at the human, snarling as the dog began to bark at her. The dog quietened but kept growling. Ragna's mighty fists clenched but she took a deep breath, resisting the urge to send it flying through the air with a kick.

But the giant didn't try to stamp down or kick. Instead she stooped closer to their level, though she still was taller than him. Her face had a scowl on it and she made sure to show all her teeth. She spoke slowly so the beast would understand her. "If that animal makes another sound, I will skin it and use it for slippers" she promised.

One large finger prodded the human in the chest hard enough to be painful. "Why. Are. You. Here" she demanded. He was within arms reach, she'd happily break the vermin if he tried anything stupid.

When it was clear that nothing had come from behind them, the male giant turned back around to look upon the noisy animal. What Ragna had dropped, his eyes squinting harshly as he looked upon the small creature, looked like a tiny giant. Shrunken almost.

He stepped close and watched her talk to it, making sure not to step on her as she stooped to be closer to its level. A human. His head tilted a bit as he examined it as best he could. He would have spoken but it seemed that Ragna was already engaged in conversation with the wee thing.

Content to stare for a moment, he noted the other animal. Not human, but almost as big as the human. Covered in what he guessed was fur. And still making the growling noise like it could threaten them.

• Yay
Reactions: Weylin Kyrel
Weylin's mind was racing and blank at the same time. The giantess got down to as close to his level as she could manage and gave him an terrifying look. All her teeth were showing. She made a threat directed to White, which sort of refocused him. He got the dog behind him as he frowned. Next the giantess demanded to know why he was here. Wasn't that obvious? Well maybe it wasn't.

"Leave White be giantess!" Weylin cried out in a pathetic attempt of defiance. Not the wisest choice when dealing with giants. "We were following that herd you scattered. Hours of waiting for a shot after days of hunger finally appears and you send them into a panic."

Why did he say that? Don't be rude or brave or stupid Weylin! The giantess was sure to eat him now. Hopefully White would run for it and be able to escape. She was the last bit of family he had left. The dog seeing her human being so brave had stopped growling. She didn't drop her guard and was just staying ready quietly. It was clear she was following his lead now. She was a very good girl.

Ragna Bergelmir

• Yay
Ragna bared her teeth as the human squeaked at them. She barked a laugh then, her hand grabbing him by the front. She hefted the human up high enough that his feet were just off the ground. "These are our lands little one. These herds are ours. You dare to hunt here?" Her eyes bored into him, her large face filling his vision.

She turned to look back at the frost giant. "This" she declared, "Is a human". She went back to glaring at him, giving him a shake for good measure. "Well boy?" she demanded, "What do you have to say?"