Private Tales These Criminal Delights

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Dauner

The Supreme Monarch
Character Biography
Link
Wealth, power and influence. Those are the things Dauner had wanted to get for himself since arriving on Arethil. Although there were some ups and downs, and more than a few distractions along the way, he'd not forgotten this goal. That was why, he'd put a lot of effort into setting things up, right from during the siege of Alliria, where he revived what was now the primary force that would lead his rise. Among them were his now, left and right-hand men, Quijano and Ayana.

Afterward, to ensure that he had enough funds to start up, he took over a wealthy Allirian merchant family, the Hall family, by making the family head, Michael Hall, sign a soul contract with him. The Halls would in time also serve as a bridge into the Allirian political machine.

He had set up a mercenary guild, that was responsible for managing all mercenaries on its payroll, as well as providing them with suitable requests. He'd also purchased a building in the outer city, which he'd use as his headquarters, until he found a better alternative. While his office was on the second floor, the floor was to be used as a gathering place for the mercenaries, and included a notice board with jobs, and a bar which would provided food and drinks.

It was early in the morning when Dauner got to the guild house. The first thing he did was sit at the counter and order a wake-up drink as he waited for the others to arrive.

• Sip
Reactions: Mika Roost
After a short while, footsteps were heard outside, as they came closer the more one could feel them as opposed to hear them, these steps created ripples in the drinks, until he reached the door, a large suit of armor stepped inside, and stomping his way up to Dauner... he stopped... and kneeled in front of Dauner.

Then a frail, delicate voice, resembling that of an old man was heard from inside that iron helm:
"I'll wait outside for the rest, my lord", he stopped to gasp at air, "I'll come back in when everyone's inside"

He got up and walked his way back outside, the same way he came in, but this time the footsteps were not heard from outside for he stopped at the entrance, guarding it.

Early mornings were only slight less busy in the city. With all the merchants toiling about and people getting ready to tackle the day. Mika herself was a late riser normally, but today she had to meet with some people. There was a new mercenary guild in town, and that meant new faces she might be able to travel with and regale with music and song.

More importantly, there was adventure in the air. Performing for a crowd was all well and good, but she had to work on her storytelling. What better way to tell tales of adventure than experiencing them for herself, right? Grandmother seemed to think so too, so she was allowed to throw her lot in with the mercenaries.

She waved to the armored man at the front. "Hiii!" she greeted with envigored enthusiasm before letting herself inside, chin already resting on her violin as she announced her arrival with a lively wake up tune. "Bard Mika reporting for duty! Don't be shy now, requests are free, this time."

She waltzed up to the side of the bar, where she usually played when she found herself in the taverns and inns.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Dauner
Ayana was still salty about her new life. It was not that she didn't appreciate being alive but she was a proud elf and a proud mage who preferred to serve no one safe herself and her interests. That was a thing of the past now. She served at the leisure of Dauner, who had revived her via his soul contract. Yeah, there was reason to be salty. She was loyal to him though and she would do her best to make sure they all succeeded in this new venture.

The raven haired elf wore simple black pants and a dark green sleeveless shirt. She only had two daggers on her today; one on her belt and one in her boot. Ayana was a simple woman. She had her magic to rely on more than steel but that didn't mean she was unprepared.

She grumbled a morning at Quijano as she passed him at the guild entrance and pushed through the door. Dauner was sitting at the bar and a young human girl was playing something too jaunty on her violin. Fuck me, she thought as her frown only grew deeper. It was way too early for this much pep.

• Smug
Dauner hummed to himself, as he waited for the rest to arrive, drinking down a few gulps at a time in between. Soon enough, Quijano walked in, a hulking mass of armor. Since having been brought back, the warrior had shown unparalleled loyalty. Dauner wasn't sure if it was thanks to his gratitude, or the soul contract, but it worked in his favor either way.

He nodded, as Quijano walked out, guarding outside the door as he waited for Ayana. Shortly after, a perky young woman, with a lively demeanor, walked in. She looked like a bard, from the violin she carried, but also had swords. It wasn't too hard to guess that she was probably also a good fighter.

While some other mercenaries present approached her for a song, Dauner stared at the young woman with keen interest. Although it might seem that what he was interested in was actually her beauty, which he was, it was rather her particular skill set that had him thinking. There was no band of warriors that didn't need to keep their morale up, and sometimes, booze just wasn't enough. A performer who could help keep the atmosphere merry was also an essential. Dauner wouldn't mind letting go and dancing along with the rest every once in a while.

On top of all that, she seemed to have the kind of personality that would liven up anyone, any day. Dauner's thought process led him to come to a decision to sign her into the guild, that is, if she didn't mind. He'd send over one of his men to invite her over for a talk.

Staring at Mika made him fail to notice when Ayana arrived. However, after sending his man over to the bard, he felt a slightly depressing aura. He immediately turned to the elf, still a little depressed over her general situation.

"If it isn't our most beautiful mercenary" he teased. "You should learn to smile every once in a while" he added, pouring her a cup of alcohol, and then offering it to her.

The young girl waved and greeted cheerfully, little did she know, Quijano had fallen asleep inside that suit of armor, he was still recovering from his wounds. If not for Dauner he would have been dead by now, but his new life allowed him to afford medical treatment, even if it was minor and he had to apply it himself, then came the nightmares which would wake him up every morning.

Opening his eyes, he saw the light peeking through his helmet, the sun had moved a small amount since he had fallen asleep.

He could hear music from inside the tavern, just how many people were going to join Dauner in his mission? Nevertheless, the armour would stop the music, it would bring too much attention, and the tavern nights with his old family of mercenaries were always the most fun.

Finding no other alternative, he began walking to the nearest blacksmith, that is where he would leave his equipment for safekeeping for the time being, leaving even the sword. This was going to be the group of mercenaries he was going to stay with for the rest of his days, they had to be trustworthy.

Opening the door to the tavern, completely wrapped in bandages, some were loose, others still had stains of red on them, over the bandages were rags and a cape to cover the rest of his body, not a sliver of skin was shown other than those only visible through the slit of bandages opened for his eyes to see through.

He saw Dauner was busy, so, without ordering anything, he sat down at a table to watch the people dancing while the music was playing. This was his new home.

She was both relieved and unsurprised that her music caught the attention of the people in attendance with some even having some requests, which she dutifully obliged without a moment's hesitation, making flawless transitions between them. After a while though a man approached her and told her that someone wanted to talk, motioning to a person at the bar.

Another request, she thought. She gave a nod, but didn't immediately stop to head over. Instead she continued playing until she was near the end of the song, at which point she bounced her way over to the bar, with the last note being played as she stopped next to the person that wanted to talk.

"You rang?" she said with a chuckle and a smile. "What'll it be? A jaunty tune? Maybe something a little more energetic? Oh, perhaps a slow, romantic buzz? Give me a mood and I have a song for it!"

• Sip
"If it isn't our most beautiful mercenary. You should learn to smile every once in a while"

Ayana took the drink from Dauner and gave him a sarcastic smile. That one that he had grown to know and tolerant. "This is my smile, my lord," the last was also sarcastic.

She took a drink and let out a happy sigh. Yes, this was the way to start a good morning. Alcohol was always the winner.

"Besides, if I smiled more, you may not think I am the most beautiful anymore," she winked and took another drink.

She quickly changed to a more serious, business tone for her next question. "How many new potentials do you think will be joining us this morning?" Ayana asked her leader, the man who had literally given her a second chance at life.

It was not long before the way too perky girl was there by their side asking what kind of tune Dauner would like. Ayana stayed quiet and simply mouthed really to him with a sigh.

"Besides, if I smiled more, you may not think I am the most beautiful anymore,"
Ayana's sarcasm had at this point become a part of her charm to Dauner. There wasn't anything that made him want to tease her more, as much as it did. "Right. The radiance might be too blinding. If that were to happen, I wouldn't be able to feast my eyes as much anymore" he joked.

Then, came Quijano, wounded and bandaged. Dauner almost choked on his drink at the sight. Back then, he was in a hurry to chase after the dragon and slay it, and so didn't put enough power into healing the group after their revival. Although some were able to make a full recovery, few weren't. Quijano seemed to be among the unlucky few. Dauner was aware of this, but since Quijano always had his armor on when they were together, he had no idea it was this serious. The man certainly could hold in the pain.

Dauner ordered another drink, into which, he'd add in a drop of his blood. The blood that had catalyzed their revival, would no doubt be able to improve his recovery, if not completely heal his injuries. He then offered the drink to the warrior. He couldn't let those that followed him walk around bruised and injured now, could he?

After Ayana asked about the new potentials, Dauner shifted his gaze to Mika, who was now striding over. "Here's the first" he'd reply with a smile.
"You rang?" she said with a chuckle and a smile. "What'll it be? A jaunty tune? Maybe something a little more energetic? Oh, perhaps a slow, romantic buzz? Give me a mood and I have a song for it!"
"How about an invitation tune?" he'd ask, giving her his full attention. "Dauner A. Light. I'm the guild master" he'd say, extending his hand for a handshake. "A pleasure to meet you". After the handshake, Dauner would continue. "Here are the vice-guild masters, Ayana and Quijano. I'd like to formally invite you to join the Reaper's Den" he'd say, as though starting a sales pitch.

• Wonder
The invitation to join took Mika by surprise. It was her intention to join, but she thought she'd have to sign up somewhere first, then get interviewed or something. Wasn't that how it usually was? She had begun to wonder if her grandma had a hand in this, maybe put in a good word, which would have sucked. People were going to have expectations or maybe even think she only got to join because she has connections.

No, she wasn't going to bring that up. It'd sound crazy and maybe give off the idea that this usually happened, which would pretty much have the same consequences she'd thought of.

Realizing that she might have spaced out for a moment or two she cleared her throat and took Dauner's hand for a shake after he'd introduced himself and the vice-guild masters.

"A-ah! A pleasure to meet all of you. Sorry, I didn't expect to be invited so readily, I thought I'd have to beat someone up to be considered," she laughed nervously as she tapped the violin bow on the side of her head. "My name's Mika, Mika Roost. Resident bard, but I sometimes travel here and there." She played two measures on her violin, a short jingle that she felt would sound good as the invitation song.

"How was that?" She beamed a smile, all traces of nervousness gone as quickly as it appeared.

Quijano Dauner Ayana Elleran

• Popcorn
"Right. The radiance might be too blinding. If that were to happen, I wouldn't be able to feast my eyes as much anymore"

Ayana let out a hmph at Dauner's words. He teased her and she acted like she didn't like it but he was growing on her. Slowly. Like a fungus.

Her attention was drawn to Mika and her peppiness. Was there something that could calm her down some? Just a little? Did they really need a bard? Really?! It was not her place to question Dauner though and she would accept his decisions. He had decided that he wanted Mika to join the Reaper's Den.

Ayana did not answer the girls question. She had never realized how much she disliked music before. She did smile at Mika though. That consisted as her welcome for now.

Quijano Dauner Ayana Elleran

Dauner laughed as Mika beamed a smile. "That was perfect. Welcome to the family. I prefer skipping the formalities if it means I get to recruit someone I like, and, Miss Mika, I like you" he said drinking down the rest of his drink, before pouring himself another cup. As he did, he began to think it would be a good idea to get some glasses for the Guild house. Though the cup were more suitable for rough and tough mercenaries, he preferred the transparent cups, and he could use them when hosting guests too. It added to his aesthetic, something he held in high regard. Well, he liked looking cool, and that was always more than enough reason.

Ayana, by his side, was being... well, Ayana. She never seemed to like talking much. But Dauner had taken upon himself to thaw the ice that was his beautiful right-hand man. He knew it'd take time, but it would prove to be well worth it. "You can at least say a word or two" he would say, smiling, as he poked her cheek teasingly.

• Aww
Well that was nice, the leader of the mercenary band liked her and possibly saved her some unnecessary process to be part of the whole thing. A smooth start as far as she was concerned, though she wouldn't be bedazzling them with her swordsmanship, but being taken by her music was just as good. "I've been told that I had an effect on people. No complaints there, the tavern goers and the tavern owners get real generous with the tips if they like you after all."

She resumed playing her violin, playing a slower song to reflect the mellowing of the high from before. Though she was going to speed up the melodies little by little. It was still early in the day, and a little perking up was definitely not something people would object to normally.

Mika looked to her new employer and his co-leaders. "If you've got a tune in mind, I'm still taking requests."

Dauner Quijano Ayana Elleran

• Sip
Ayana rolled her eyes at Dauner's words. His flirtatious nature never seemed to take a break. She was pretty sure he would, without a doubt, try flirting with any pretty looking thing with a pulse.

Anyway, the Reaper's Den had just opened up, and she was sure Dauner wasn't going to take running it seriously. From what she knew of him, from the little time she'd been following him, he liked being carefree and unrestrained, which translated to being greatly irresponsible. At the end of the day, it fell to her to handle most matters.

"I'll be in the office upstairs" she said, her tone as cold as ice. She offered Mika one last smile before heading upstairs.

I've been told that I had an effect on people
"Oh. That you do" Dauner said helping himself to another gulp of his drink. "You're just as mesmerizing as your music" he added.

Ayana seemed to roll her eyes, ignoring his teasing words to her, and his playful poking of her cheeks. However, she didn't stop him. Shortly after, she made her exit. Her tone was cold. Or at least she tried to make it sound cold. But try as she may, there was little she could hide from Dauner. He held her soul mark, and she carried his brand, after all. Dauner playfully waved her goodbye as she headed upstairs.

"Pay her no mind. She's just a little shy around new people" he'd continue, as he turned back to Mika. This time, he switched to a more conservative drinking style, taking his drink one sip at a time. "Why don't you grab a drink. Let's have a little chat".

"Well, aren't you a charmer yourself," she'd sweetly respond to his flirtatious remark. As Ayana left, Mika gave her a smile back. Whether she was just shy, or just not a people person, Mika just took it in stride. They'll warm up to each other in time.

On his invitation for a drink, she took a seat beside him and set her instrument down on the ground, letting it rest against the counter. "A little early for a drink, isn't it? Or were you hoping to lower my guard so you could sweep me off my feet?" A mischievous smile would appear on her lips.

"I guess one drink wouldn't hurt. Got any recommendations?"

Dauner

• Sip
"A little early for a drink, isn't it? Or were you hoping to lower my guard so you could sweep me off my feet?"
Although he sometimes acted like it after drinking too much, Dauner couldn't actually get drunk, even if he tried to. His system always cleared out every trace of toxin, which included alcohol as well as it did poisons. So to him, it was no different from water with a taste.

A grin crossed Dauner's face at the latter part of the sentence, as he lowered his glass and turned to Mika. "Well, if that's what you want, then I'd be more happy to oblige" he teased. Dauner might have been one of Arethil's oldest existences, having lived tens of thousands of years, but at heart, he was a young man in spring. Aside from fighting, killing and scheming, flirting and teasing pretty girls were among the things he was best at, and particularly loved doing.

"Well then" he answered, almost excitedly, when Mika asked for his recommendations on what to drink. "If you're into the milder form of alcohol, I'll recommend our specially brewed ale. Low in alcohol, but tasty enough for those who know how to enjoy its taste. If you're more into the stronger form of alcohol, then the wine will be my best recommendation. But if you're looking to get drunk in one glass, the there's nothing better than 'The Reaper'" he finished, looking to Mika for what her choice would be.

Those three alcoholic drinks were brewed following Dauner's special recipe, and suited for light and heavy drinkers for the first two respectively. The third drink, however, was Dauner's special knock out drink. It was potent. Very potent. Way too potent. There had yet to be anyone who hadn't gotten drunk after only drinking half a glass. It was also the only drink that could actually give Dauner a feeling of getting drunk, though not actually making him drunk. The reason behind this was that it contained more than just a high concentration of alcohol.