Private Tales The Valley in Her Shadow

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Miles Rhodrik Le'Metayer

My Eyes Are Shining Bright
Character Biography
Link
There she ist again, walking barefoot.

At least, he could only guess the figure was a she. She glowed too brightly in the sunbeams, draped in translucent cloth that seemed to hang with dampness. Her hair whipped about as she turned her head to check on him, guide him down a path in these woods to a place that always bore fruit, and yet he couldn't recall what kind it was by the time he came back here.

Come. The silent voice beckons. Come see.

He follows, toes soft in the soil and leaflitter, he himself barefoot. Strides up a set of dirtwork stairs, each edged with gnarled roots. He looks to the side and a little creek reveals a kingfisher, diving deep, only to resurface with a minnow, seethrough down to the bones in the sun. His gaze returns to the figure, some ways ahead again, the train of her unmarked tunic swishing out of sight behind a tree. He hurries, only a bit, and rounding the tree finds the forest blued with night. His hands shine white under the moonslight.

And there it was. What they were seeking. So wide and beautiful. Everything seemed to shimmer before his eyes. The sky was slate grey and smooth. the figure danced upon the ground with glee, turning about and sending her arms akimbo like an opening blossom.

Now I see. Thank you, my guide.

He takes a step forth.

In a deep Vale glade, near-untouched by hand, Human or otherwise, is where he rests. It was not uncomfortable, and was certainly quite safe indeed, for it had gone undisturbed save for the little wild things since his slumber began.

The decayed remains of a far gone campfire ring resides near the middle, a little grey patch of ashes sunk deep into the moss. One of the last little acts before bedding down for the night.

And to one side, under the boughs of a tall old oak, light wispy grass grown up in a vibrant green ring around him, lay Miles Rhodrik Le'Metayer, dressed in his once-new travel clothes, half-wrapped in his moth-holed wool blanket. His ribcage moves slowly in the act of sleep breathing. His empty eyesockets cast in a black shadow.

Sam Fairbridge

Last edited:
  • Sip
Reactions: Sam Fairbridge
Rest was something foreign in concept and delivery to the recent individual known to themselves and few others as Sam Fairbridge. Each steady and perfectly timed footfall was imparted upon the ground without care of how many had preceded it, as if it was merely the first, not the hundredth, not the thousandth. Small progress in each endeavour, inch by inch, measure by measure, passage by passage, and the flicker of thoughts and feelings reminded Sam that there was indeed a person to be addressed at all. Boredom too was something almost entirely unknown to Sam, for it was replaced by a diligence to learning, to curious thought, to some small measure of welcome and new feeling as and if it occurred.

These feelings seem to arrive more often than when the laboratory was sealed, Sam thought as the sun shined and the wind gently blew leaves into their vision, Sam lowered their small book as they kept their place with a gloved thumb, and thought of one known to few as Balestro Fairbridge, as Sam was often want to do.

Their former master, creator, and animator had not exactly given Sam the clothes they wore but Sam carried them with far calmer disposition and more benevolent purpose than Balestro ever had. The man had been a torrent of movement and magic, moving from project to project with scorn and fury, a true scorn for wasted time, a tempo that had required Sam's base creation. Now, with Balestro still and no longer moving, Sam walked in the guise of their former master, with copies of Balestro's collected works that Sam had scribed much as he had done in his base state.

No thought of disrespect existed in such a gesture. It just felt right to Sam, it felt correct somehow, and Sam felt utilitarian to the purpose and respect towards the future of the garments. Balestro had left no wishes upon their all too brief deathbed. Sam would not have been thought of as anything more than an unseen servant, even as they gained thoughts and sentience as Balestro lay there gasping, dying, bathed in green light of their own creation from an experiment gone terribly wrong and terribly right for Sam. Balestro had no idea as to the process that had robbed him of his life had given Sam their own freedom to be sentient, instead of a whisp of arcane energy to serve the magi in life. Balestro had only been aware that the two pinpricks of white light that floated in the whisps of black shadow that had assisted him in almost every small task within the laboratory widen as the life ebbed out of him. A trick of the light he thought. Nothing more.

He died among his equipment and servant without any words being exchanged. No lesson for the fledgling thing that existed now where there was thoughtless service before. Time was uncertain in the hermetically sealed place, but after a while, Balestro's things became Sam's, and the learning from all that Balestro had left in place of parenthood began with a fresh mind that felt no fatigue, that felt no boredom, yet felt from time to time in feeling and in thought learned some measure of what it was to be like Balestro. It was a new existence, and Sam cared for it. Cared to learn. Cared to simply be. To act. To will magic into the world.

Slowly came a thought that could not leave Sam. Balestro existed in the knowledge that he had unwittingly left behind in the world for Sam to learn from. Who else might enjoy this knowledge? Was there a way of unsealing the laboratory? And such thoughts brought freedom that had never been craved before that soon yielded it to the young magic user.

The books that Balestro Fairbridge had read, scribed, and bought to expand his collection was now at Sam's service, for Sam had plied a small trade as a merchant. The first exchanges had been awkward, yet serene. Sam had some knowledge of the value of the books, for Balestro was fastidious in scribing the cost of all earned knowledge on the front page in blue ink.

Sam resumed walking, a small manual on the value of prisms and light towards the purification of water being returned to, each line comforting Sam in the assuring tone that only ink could provide. This had no mark of cost upon it, for Sam did not pick up that same habit that Balestro did, but the information was internalised none the less. The lines and value were already memorised, but Sam enjoyed their revision as they read it again now. They felt, and Sam did indeed feel things contrary to their creator original intention of having a mere servant that performed function without perfunctory passages of consciousness and sentience, they felt that it was only the right thing to do before selling the book to someone else. Knowledge should be shared. Where would I be without it?

And with more coin new foreign books could be acquired, and the terrarium of knowledge could grow from the cycle. Such things Sam hoped for.

So it was that Sam shared the knowledge once again with themselves as they trod upon the ground. Only the passage of light in the sky marked time out for Sam, in binary form. Light enough to read without illumination, dark enough to warrant a dancing mote of light underneath each well loved and appreciated passage.

And now, as they travelled as methodically as they might perform an experiment, with a elongated sense of patience and a lack of attention to how long an hour might become that might render them a point of frustration to others, something flickered. Something familiar. Sam's senses were unusual and alien, and could pick up on the whispers of magic and animation that others might not detect.

Sam looked to the glade that they found themselves within, for no map guided them, yet cardinal north remained within them, and a sense of where 'home' was at all times. The thought that this sensation was more akin to migrating birds than to humanity was not within Sam's consicousness yet. But it might with conversations to come.

The pin pricks of light situated within the blackness that Sam had adopted for themselves so they might best see their own eyes in the sight of a pool of water or a mirror narrowed as their sight scanned the area.

Birds made passes overhead, the clouds moved as Sam remained still and attentive. Sam drank in the stimuli.

There,” Sam said with the quietness that was their common way of speaking. Much quieter than the booming tones of Balestro that clamoured for more ingredients, books to be scribed, with an elevated sense of importances as to the task before them. Sam was quiet. And saw much.

Sam made slow approach to what they sensed, for fear of advancing too fast without due attention to how close they might get it. They still held the page open in their book as they did so. It was as if he was stalking something, but instead of prey it was a creature of curiosity and did not wish to startle with sudden movements. An oddity, such as Sam was.

The chest moved. There was a flicker of life within the bones, a deep slumber. Sam knew what sleep was but did not experience it themselves, and found it curious that something that should not rise and fall in dreams should appear as such.

Perhaps this one is as I was. Waiting in some form for the right magic to set them free. They seem to be have been sleeping for a time.

Sam made a decision, and placed down their mighty pack of books and magical devices they had deemed worthy of bringing on their excursion. It weighed more than most adults could lift above their heads, but Sam handled it with endless patience and ability to not damage the carefully packed assortment of things. The magic user reached into the pack and picked out a few items that they knew might serve the purpose and paused as they considered the order of operations.

First the components properly arranged, then the gestures, then the words. Yes. Yes as always Sam,” Sam spoke to themselves to further drive them on correctly. They spoke such things because he had seen Balestro speak in such a fashion before they conducted an art of magic. But while Balestro had been booming, self important, and self aggrandizing to build up their courage to command the fabric of reality as a show of conquering the impossible, Sam spoke to assure themselves that they would not make mistake, that they would not waste that which they inherited. They placed their book within their pack and attended their task.

Sam opened a small pouch of silver dust and crushed violets and mixed them together on their gloves methodically so that they were coated in the fine powder.

They stood up from their pack and approached the skeleton that slumbered. They took a moment to gather themselves, extended their hands, and began to speak words that would will the arcane into existence.

Who are you that slumbers with life bereft from them, rise once more and know the taste of the earth and air, rise and be known to me, Sam Fairbridge, do as I ask, do as I wish, rise and gain your senses, for slumber shall no longer rob you henceforth.”

The magic activated within Sam's frame, the robes glowing a faint blue as they sensed the will of magic course through them. A trail of purple and silver light beamed across to the skeleton that lay sleeping, and Sam's eyes were small and observant as they controlled the flow of rousing energy that might just bring this one back from the realms of sleep.

Just as that green light roused me from what I was before, I hope I can do the same for you...whoever you are.

Miles Rhodrik Le'Metayer

Last edited:
He was on his return trip, back to where he'd been, after his guide had taken him to get... To get something worthful, valuable. Something he'd like to return to. He walks quietly around the tree. The kingfisher dives again. The dirtwork stairs crunch mildly underfoot. A whirlwind of a welcomed, air cooling storm churns overhead, purple in the sunset.

Sunset. A storm.

That ist not right.

A flicker of movement runs through Miles' skeleton at the intervention of Sam's magick. His fingers curl and uncurl next to each other from his fetal position. His ribcage expands more and shudders. One leg extends.

He looks up endlessly at the storm, watches as the clouds twist about. Churn like the sea during a perfect storm. Sain-Nikyos' Fire lights the old oak, a hissing violet light about each leaf and branch, sending a warmth through the air. A bright crash of lightning rattles the woods, rattles himself.

And then the rains break.

Miles upper arm throws his blanket off completely as he rolls onto his back. He makes a noise of disruption as his jaw creaks stiffly open. A faint wisp of glow, thin lines with ends licking outwards like a flame, come to his eyesockets. His head lolls to the side and at once he stretches broadly, the rattle of a barely-awake sigh leaving him.

The figure, the woodland guide, wanders into view for a moment, unconcerned of the battering rain.

Thank you for spending time with me. Gutmorning. Then the voice shifts. Becomes softer, more neutral. For slumber shall no longer rob you henchforth.

Miles feels himself blink as the figure begins to walk away. He squints through the haze, holding onto his cap, the shift of robing drowned out by the storm.

Thank you for guiding me. Gutnaut.

The wisps of his sight flare open, blue-green, seen best in the patches of shade. Wide and round and rolling aimlessly about the scenery within the sockets.

Miles stretches again, grunting, his teeth gritting mildly, before he drags himself partway upright, raising a hand to rub his face, voice warm and easy.

"Oh, what time ist-"

His hand and cheekbone clash roughly, fingers skating across the gap where his nose once sat. His wisps wobble, and he sits there with a confused tilt to his head, gaze floating over to the wizard before him, pinpricks of light shining from the shadow of their hat, hands outstretched, and the large pack on the ground. His mainhand falls to the ground beside him, grasping around nothing but grass.

The flicker of his wisps thin and widen again, and he tries to rub them anyway, causing each little point to blink out and return as his fingertips pass through them. It causes a shake of distress to quake him, potentially transmitted through the magick in some form or another, whether Sam understands it or not.

"Gutday, stranger. Who might you be?"

Sam Fairbridge

Last edited:
  • Bless
Sam watched as animation proper flowed into the skeleton, as decisions were made instead of dreams, as motion and words were delivered into the world instead of the repose of gentle sleep that had dwelled within Miles. As the magic poured from the gloved hands of Sam, they felt the familiar surge of power that made their eyes glow bright white and that reinvigorated their sense of existence within the world. It often felt to Sam that they were a mere passenger, but such actions, especially ones that helped another, brought them to the fore of existence. It was as if by rousing this skeleton from slumber Sam themselves was roused to the possibility of existence. They were that much closer to the engine of creation that moulded them from servant to agent of their own destiny.

Sam hunched down beside the new person, and Sam blinked heavy, as if chewing upon the question of what they had just done with vigorous turns of mental jaws. Those white lights sparkled for a moment as they shook off what remained of the dust powder to the floor. Sam looked at their hands and was transfixed by how the dust had once clung to the velvet gloves now was scarcely to be seen. Thoughts on the properties of arcane exchange crept into mind and lurked there for a moment, before Sam blinked again quicker, a snap of white light that remained neutral, but thoughts addressed.

A question was asked.

You seem...untroubled. I'm...glad,” Sam said softly, turning a glove upwards as if musing over the line of questioning. He had read that many individuals who were roused into a state of undeath were troubled, to place such a sentiment lightly. Tortured, was the exact word used. Sam found no truth to it in their own existence, but was unsure in truth as to their absolute state as a being of necrotic energy. Sam understood that the library had seemed infinite, over time, it had became small. And so it was that they regarded their own appreciation of their own knowledge base. It might seem large as you turn to look at the first book pulled, but given enough time, it would trap, contain, and leave you with nothing but itself to be narrowly understood in limitation. Sam explored the world to expand the library of the mind, and the library of the physical.

Sam sighed and lifted the brim of their hat so that their eyes might be seen more clearly.

I was asleep once. Unawakened. I'm Sam Fairbridge now. And you were asleep once. Dreaming. Who might you be? It's okay if you don't have a name. Took me some effort to scry mine.” Sam said softly. Their hand brushed against the grass on the ground as they regarded the Once Sleeping One closer. If nothing else, Sam was curious, and grew ever calmer and studious, as if reading a new book that was still being written before them, as if the quill was still in motion and the ink was yet to spill. The pace of conversation was quickening Sam's thoughts, and they welcomed the chance to keep up.

Miles Rhodrik Le'Metayer

Something ist not correct.

Miles couldn't recall falling asleep in the brush. Nor could he particularly say he knew where he was. It didn't look like it had last night. Not fully. But then again, he wasn't born and bred in this land. There was nothing in particular he could even know as a landmark. Only after a few moments did the Eldyr Tree's highest boughs catch his sight in the distance, just through the trees of the clearing.

The Vale. As far as I got last night.

The wizard crouched before him, a long blink shading out the white glow, followed by a regarding of their own gloves with something Miles could only interpret as curiosity. He draws backwards minutely, trying to drag his feet under his body to rise, thoughts still partly clouded from slumber.

You seem...untroubled. I'm...glad,” said the enrobed figure, gentle as a feather. Miles couldn't decide if it was out of concern for waking him up so suddenly, or something else.

He puts his hand to his chest to adjust his chemise, and finds his fingers falling through gaps that shouldn't have existed based on memory alone. He looks down as the wizard regards him.

The hand, his hand, glowing bone-white in the sunspots, sends a powerful stroke of horror through his-

He shifts the bosom slit of his chemise open, just enough.

I was asleep once. Unawakened. I'm Sam Fairbridge now. And you were asleep once. Dreaming. Who might you be? It's okay if you don't have a name. Took me some effort to scry mine.”

A bare sternum stares back at him, ligaments yellowed. The hull of his clothes block enough light to make the gaps through his ribs a ruddy brown shadow. He had no heart. And yet he felt a hurt somewhere in his chest. He raises both hands to try to feel of his own face, gaze jittering around Sam's boots.

"I don't understand."

His hands clash again with his face. There were more new gaps where once there had been none. Nothing to press upon and shift about. Skating down to his neck met a far too skinny column. He wanted to wet his lips, give himself time to think, but something about that didn't work. Only after another several stumbling, bumbling seconds, tripping harshly over each wave of confusion, did he realize Sam had even asked him for his name. His voice comes out hollowed, a marked change from the sleep-warmth it'd had a minute ago.

"Miles. Miles Rhodrik Le'Metayer. Where am I? Wh- Where ist my body?"

Of course, he still had his body, enough of it at least to move. Perhaps he hadn't simply fallen asleep last night, perhaps The Rising had come, and this was all that was needed of him in order to meet his guileless Gods in person. But even then, he didn't think to, want to believe he was anything but alive. He drags his feet under him and rises, teetering dangerously in his loose shoes.

"What are you? Wh- Dost you have a, a mirror-"

A mote of lightning, of gentle thunder, flares the innocent, stormless clouds overhead. Miles wracks with a surprised shudder, staggering forwards on weak legs into what Miles would call personal space- two shoelengths from Sam's own boots, -before his balance begins to sink in and his wobbling ebbs away, eyelights slanting with worry.

"I am sorry, Sam Fairbridge. I..."

How are you so calm?

Sam Fairbridge

Last edited:
  • Cry
The wind blew heavy as the thunder peeled and a flash of light marked the air a distant place of earth. Sam's eyes sparkled as they remained hunched over, unperturbed by the visage of the person they had come across, and unafraid of being struck by lightning. They had read nothing about it, and had never studied it, so while their mind was curious, they were more curious about this fellow before them that they attended in what measure they could. It was a calm to match the all too human confusion as to the state of death that imhabited it.

If only my Master slept and woke so.

Maybe he might still wake?

While such a flight of fancy emerged within Sam, they thought of their master who had perished. That man of power had communicated much within a wave of a hand, be it magic or angry dismissal, so Sam was careful to mind his gestures always, so they might not summon a spell, so they might not cause the same castigation that their master had performed to regularly to themselves.

Sam set upon their pack to find an object that might fulfill their company's request.

It's okay not to understand. That means that there might be learning. It's okay to not understand,” Sam repeated, an odd sort of ditty performed to soothe both of them, “That means that there might be learning.”

It was a mantra of sorts, that Sam found reassuring to their curious mind when happening upon an obstacle of thought.

Time is all that's needed, and information. Therein lies the key to all contentedness, and freedom, and-

Ah ha.

A mirror, small and activated from dull coverings with but a flick of the wrist. Sam flicked it open, peered at their own eyes that sparkled and reflected the lightning that struck overhead in a flash, and sealed it back up with a curt snap between gloved fingertips.

Here. Look. You're okay.”

Sam had sense enough not to say what their heart was about to spill and tell Miles next in a stumbling that was caught, for being around some small fraction of talkers had informed Sam of some sense of not to insult people.

I think you're okay at least.

Sam handed the mirror and waited, and looked at their gloves and adjusted them so that they fit snugly. Thin beams of light for eyes looked up sheepishly as Sam grew more timid for not knowing how the information as to the appearance might seem.

Don't be sorry. Just...be you,” Sam said softly and with an attempt at raising cheer. It wasn't do to have someone so glum who could speak. They wished their master might speak again after appearing as this Miles did.

But certain things cannot be helped I suppose. But, I helped this one! Yes!

Miles Rhodrik Le'Metayer