Private Tales The Road to the Bottem

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Alexandros

Misthofóros Lochagos
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

"Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do."
-Pele

<<"By the gods, how much longer must we wait?">> A groan came from the ground, the words that came out of his mouth were foreign compared to the words spoken by those in the immediate vicinity. Indeed, had one even been glancing in their general direction, they would have noticed...them; claded in armor wielding weapons that were familiar in their function...but still aptly foreign in their character. They were in a small group in the market place, spcifically of a small town near the grand city of Alliria. Most were idly resting on the ground, looking about the marketplace as they did.

<<"We'll be waiting for as long as we need to...">> Alexandros of Thelios, an Athallian from the land of Thelios, stood to over his men whilst also observing the movements of the people with much more interest then any of his men.

<<"Had I known we'd be doing guard duty on our grand adventure as mercenaries, I would have stayed home.">> Another of the hoplite grunted, laying next Alexandros with a unamused expression, watching idly the ongoing of the various Allriian natives. <<"Pays just as well...and I have somewhere to sleep comfortably, even a cute girl around my arms...instead I'm stuck with you idiots with rocks stuck half-way up my ass...">>

His name was Timotheus, a marine that Alexandros had served with here and there back when they were still in the Watch. Timotheus family had served the coast guard for the past few generations, thus he had to continue the family legacy, despite the fact that Timotheus was a bit prone to sea sickness.

<<"Peace, Timotheus, we're here now, so let's make the best of it and stop whining abut it.">> Phormos, son of a Thelios armors smith, turned his helmeted head towards his comrade. <<"Why did you even join up? We knew this life wasn't going to be all fighting and glory.">>

<<"I joined exactly for the prospect of
battles! I was practically promised big battles!...Would have been more challenging then wasting my effort chasing pirates and bandits all day.">> The hoplite grunted, closing his eyes and placing his hands behind his back.

<<"Well, we've got to start somewhere...we're not exactly a established force with a reputation on the mainland, and least not yet. I doubt any bigger organizations would want to hire a bunch of unproven from Thelios." Alexandros said, turning his head to gaze back to the crowded market, looking on for their contact in the caravan. <<"But this'll be a long trip, Timotheus, so you might get your wish sooner or later.">>

Timotheus snorted, looking away, but Alexandros could tell by what was now a small grin on his face; the very idea that they would do battle against foreign enemies was exciting, a sentiment shared among all members of the Sons of the Bronze Eagle.

The Sons of the Bronze Eagle had only recently made landfall near the shores of Alliria, their first steps onto foreign land, and already they were able to secure a sizable contract. From the contract that Alexandros broker had drafted up, it seemed that they would be charged to guard a sizable trade contingent on their way down South. After a bit of discussion with his lieutenants, it was decided that they would deploy more then a tenth of the company strength for this mission, commanded by the Lochagos himself. It was then decided on in further correspondences that they would rendezvous at this specific village, as to avoid crowding at the main city. ALexandros himself and a few men had entered the village to meet the contractor, while the rest waiting on the outskirts of the village. It was rather...exciting to even Alexandros; this would be his first real contract, and he was leading it properly. Hopefully, with the blessings from the gods, he will see this threw without too much trouble.

Now all they had to do was find the contractor...
Celestina de Bellis

• Popcorn
Reactions: Celestina de Bellis
"Are you sure this is a good idea, Iresha?" The tall Komodi inquired to the woman next to him, Iresha. "We need the assistance, of course."

"Ezzeren, calm yourself. Perhaps you should view this as a time to explore another culture," the shorter Komodi replied, although clearly with the voice of authority. "It was one of ze best deals when we sent our call out. For such a trip, we need them." The final wording was absolute, a hard truth that Ezzeren could afford to argue with.

Not that he would press it further. Ezzeren knew better than to argue with the second in charge of the caravan, Iresha. The woman was known for her cutthroat bargaining, her authoritative tendencies, and general lack of compromise. But, most people found her pleasant in general conversations.

"There," Ezzeren pointed towards the armored men - they fit the description perfectly.

Behind the two, a much shorter young woman followed with a backpack. The 'pack had one some complimentary gifts the caravan had decided to give to their protectors. Things such as wine, chocolates, and other small luxuries. Interestingly, the woman who held it didn't have the horns that the Komodi did - nor the skin and scale patterns. Quite different.

Iresha spoke first as they approached. "Sons of the Bronze Eagle," she inquired as she held her head high, stopping in front of the relaxing soldiers. Ezzeren moved beside her, while Celestina stayed back, and slightly to the side.

It was likely the stark differences between Celeste and the Komodi were made quickly - she had her hair tied back in a ponytail, with bangs across her forehead. She wore a woolen coat, and a purple dress - with some carefully made floral patterns at the bottom - the Komodi, on the other hand, had an almost full outfit of elaborate designs, starting from their heads downwards. Only their faces were visible.

Nonetheless, while Iresha and Ezzeren began the conversations, Celestina smiled towards the mercenaries. They had requested her to come with the idea that she was the closest resemblance of human and could likely relate and keep people from pestering them. However, she knew she was mostly used as the pack mule, even though the items barely weighed anything. For now, though, she’d enjoy the introductions and wait for Iresha to give her the go ahead for the gifts.

Alexandros

Last edited:
<<"Oi, cap'n...you said somthing about the client being non-human, right?">> Timotheus suddenly spoke up, which caused heads to turn in his direction. <<"I don't suppose that's them...">>

Alexander followed his comrades eyes, his gaze widening under his enclosed helmet. A small contingent of what looked to be like human-lizard-people had wandered their way into the market, wearing clothes that seemed rather fitting for a trader or tralver.

No doubt their contact, and they were heading right towards them.

Alexandros now turned to face their potential charge, the two swords on his waste clanked slightly as he did. Within the next few moment, Alexadnros men all rose to their feet with their dory and aspis in hand, moving to the either side of their Lochagos. Despite the demeanor they had exhibited not but a moment ago, they now stood to with an air of stoicism about them. They were still trained and disciplined warriors after all.

"χαῖρε, Greetings, you must our contact?....I am the Misthofóros Lochagos...the, er, captain of this mercenary band....Alexandros..." The Komodis were quite something up close. They were so tall that Alexandros himself had to actively tilt his head back in order to even establish eye contact. Alexandros would extend a hand, in anticipation of a handshake. If they took it, he'd give their hand a formal shake. If they didn't Alexandros would glance at his hand, before placing it back to his side, noting the mannerism as he did....

"I look forward to be working with you and yours. As agreed upon, we have brought 70 of our warriors, all are combat ready. Once we start moving, my men and I will take care of security for you and your people..." They had indeed made camp the previous night nearby, resting up before hand in anticipation. By now, all his men were at ease, waiting on their charge. "My men await us on the Western side of the village and if there are no particular security concerns that must be brought to my attention, then we are ready to depart on your orders...

Alexandros spoke rather calmly, his common tongue was accented but he had spoken really well and to the point. The Athallian himself wasn't sure if it was too upfront, but he figured that was what merchants wanted. Security that was to the point.

• Popcorn
Iresha carefully observed the armed men. The Isol caravan was successful, proud, and very populated. It took much to feed, house, and protect the people that called it home. They seemed capable warriors. So long as they did not show any form of xenophobia, they would likely be just what they need.

Ezzeren stayed quiet, his eyes mostly watching - guarding. They always have to keep an eye on humans, at least until they could prove their trust. It was perhaps unfair, but the history - that remained, at least, sided heavily against them.

"I am Iresha, the contact. This is Ezzeren." There was no mention of the other girl, naturally. "Misthoforos Lochagos," Iresha repeated. She tilted her head slightly as he extended a hand. Strange. Humans rarely wanted to touch a Komodi. Either way, her cloth covered hand gently shook his before retracting back inside the cascade of silks she had adorned.

"We are excited to have you join us." She stated solemnly, almost as if excitement didn't exist. In truth, though, she was relieved. Relieved that they weren't going to have a problem with their species and relieved that they were well equipped for battle.

"The caravan must begin movement soon. Let our forces meet at the South crossing of the town." She spoke slowly, careful with her words. "We can decide the best approach to secure the caravan."

A brief pause. "We bring gifts," as one hand reached out to the young Celestina.

Celestina bowed her head before taking the backpack off and removing a bottle of wine and some aged cheese. She stepped forward, offering the gifts to Alexandros specifically. She gave a small smile. Friendliness was everything in this, right?

Iresha spoke next, "There is more on the caravan. We welcome you on our journey." Iresha, Ezzeren both bowed their heads gratefully.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Alexandros
"It is...a pleasure, to meet all of you." Alexandros nodded as he took her hand and gave her a light shake, before removing it, gaze still upon the Komodi women. Alexandros knew his men probably had things to say, but discipline and professionalism would take priority; it wasn't the first time any of them had guarded foreign goods, and any comments can wait when they were around the fire pits with a drink in hand.

Speaking of drinks...Their clients apparently were bearing gifts for them, which was a fairly nice surprise. It might have lightened up the mood of Alexandros men if they had some fine wine and food for the journey.

"Many thanks...this was rather...unexpected...but nevertheless, a pleasant surprise..." Alaxandros said with a slight bow, his smile was hidden under his helmet, but his eyes betrayed a sense of gratitude. As Celestina moved to hand off the gifts, Alexandros looked to her, meeting eye contact with her for a split secound before nodding in thanks. Timotheus and Phormos, on the immediate side of Alexandors, immediately proceeded to hand off their dory spears to the man standing away from Alexandros. As their Lochagos moved to receive the gifts, he would hand them off to either of the men.

After the niceties were exchange, the Komodi known as Iresha spoke about travel. Now they were talking, right down to business. Upon hearing what the Komodi leader had to say, Alexandros turned his head slightly, as if to signal somthing. The man right behind the Lochagos immediately stepped up, leaning in towards Alexandros face. The Athallian captain whispered somthing to him, as the warrior nodded, before disengaging from the group and taking off West of their position.

"I have sent for my men, they will meet us at the Southern roads...shall we proceed on down? Or would you rather we return to your people first?"

• Sip
The Komodi understood human customs and such - but only to an extent. They had lived most of their lives in the caravan and while they had traded and mingled their way to the top, it didn't quite involve mass knowledge of humanity. It did mean being smarter than almost all of their fellow Komodi though.

Nonetheless, they understood the inherent risks and evil that could come from man. It seemed, though, that the leader of the group would be a worthwhile companion during the trek South.

Iresha and Ezzeren both bowed their heads to their thanks for the gifts. "There are... More, in the caravan upon your arrival." Iresha spoke, her accent thicker than it was before as she thought of the exact words to say. This diplomatic working was difficult. "If you find you need other items, please speak to her." One hand motioned toward Celestina. Likely, it was noticed that they did not introduce her.

Celestina's eyes met his. They looked grateful. But, she immediately looked down as she passed the initial gifts to Alexandros. She cleared her throat as she stepped back, as she kept her head down.

Iresha nodded. "We may proceed down. They will await us there." She gave a simple nod before turning, along with Ezzeren, and they began to lead the way towards the Southern roads. Celestina hung back, glancing to the soldiers before beginning to walk behind the two Caravan leaders.

• Wonder
Reactions: Alexandros
Upon concluding the agreement, Alexandros gave a simple wave to his men, as they followed in unison behind their Lochagos. There was not much to say as they walked out of the town. Between how either party dressed, they attracted a good deal of attention on their way to the outskirts.

Upon reaching the southern end of the town, the group could hear the sound of feet clambering ground, for if they turned to their right they would see a company of warriors, cladded much similarly to Alexandros. Mercenaries from Thelios, warriors armed and ready for combat, their helms and faces though unique, gave off a uniformed sense of discipline that rivaled even that of a mask.

In particular, there were two sets of soldiers; those armed with spears and large spears in heavy armor, and those grouped into a smaller squadron armed with smaller shields and bows. Following to their side was what one could have assumed to be their musician and banner bearer, holding aloft the banner of Thelios, topped off with what looked to be a bronze eagle at the very top. Last but not least was the baggage train, specifically one man driving a small horse drawn cart, the contents of which were filled with sacks and ammunition.

The blocked formation would advance upon the camp, their attention focused on nothing more then the man in front of them. Soon an officer would call out for the men to halt, allowing the NCOs to echo the command before the formation came to an unison halt, slamming the butt end of their dories into the ground and echoing a loud *Thud*.

The guards who would take charge had arrived, as Alexandros nodded to both Timotheus and Phormos, whom would split off to diposit the gifts at the baggage cart, while the other two guards quickly filled in behind Alexandros.

"As you can see, my men stand at the ready." Alexandros said, taking a step forward next to the Komodi group, hand on his kopis as he looked to the caravan camp...taking a moment to look over their charge...before turning back to the Komodi leadership.

"My men will form up along side your caravan when we travel, as to ensure that we cover a wide swath of your people. From here on out, we are at your command...and when you give the orders, I will have the men form up."

The silence from the town was eery as the Komodi and their mercenaries walked through. It was unusual enough to see Komodi, let alone humans following them. For the most part, people stayed away and quiet. It wasn't their business ultimately.

Upon arrival at the caravan - which consisted of several dozen of carts, horses, livestock and other important specimens. Children played nearby, while the men and women worked on their respective crafts in preparation for potential selling. Several Komodi were walking back from scavenging nearby. It was time to begin moving.

Iresha bowed. "We thank you for your services." Iresha paused, carefully watching the man for a moment. "We are not soldiers," she admitted. "We would support your recommendation for security. We expect there to be several ambushes along our path." Her eyes moved and one hand waved as a young Komodi boy ran over, unfolding a map. Bright red circles marked certain areas along the map. "These are areas of high risk."

Ezzeren smiled. "In the meantime, please make the caravan your home. We will begin moving forward in an hour or two." Both of the Komodi bowed, seeing what type of questions Alexandros and the others might have.

Celeste smiled, a small comfort in knowing that they were protected - but also that not-Komodi would be joining the caravan. How exciting!