Open Chronicles The Lost Relic

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Flint

The Barber
Character Biography
Link
Far off in the hills there was a cave. It had been over a century since man had first foot inside, though their part in carving out its vast tunnels and chasms was significant. It was said that an ancient town existed deep inside, constructed by a people who had been shunned by those above. Though they were an exiled people, their settlement was said to have been a place of culture and individualism. That was, until its people (or something more sinister) had severed all ties with the outside world, its location fading into obscurity.

Flint had heard of the tale in a tavern (where else, of course?). He'd visited the Laughing Hag on a series of occasions, always noticing the same cooky old woman sitting in the inn's corner (perhaps she was the Hag?). Thinking little of her on most visits, he'd finally decided to approach the lady, despite the patrons and locals' warnings. Sitting across from her in a booth, he took notice of her unfortunate appearance, trademarked by a missing left eye. He offered her a drink, in reeturn for her story. Accepting, she told Flint of the town, though some of the details of her account sounded too.. farfetched to have been believed. Nevertheless, the woman gave him a location, one that was not all too far out of the way of where he had been headed. So, the barber decided he'd investigate.

The Hag's directions were far from perfect, though after a couple days' travel he found himself standing outside a gaping hole in the side of a mountain. He'd been standing there for a hour now, shifting from foot to foot, trying to muster the courage to descend into the pit below. A year ago he might have thought himself mad, delving into such an awful looking place. His travels and near-death scrapes in recent times had torn such concerns from him, though. Adjusting the belt that held his knives, Flint stepped forward, prepared for his descent. He stopped however, upon hearing a second pair of footsteps at his heels...

Oberen had followed the path as instructed by the old woman, accompanied by his four dire wolves, Shadow, Moon, Braun, and Helga. The Alpha was Shadow who stood a good head taller than the other wolves who were by no means small. They stood five feet at the haunches. They were all covered in a thick shiny coats, it was obvious that the wolves were well kept even to the untrained eye.

As he got closer to his destination he saw a figure there waiting. The elves eyes were good enough to see the man was nervous even from far away. As he got closer he passed the man not even looking in his direction, as he passed the man could feel the eight eyes watching him, the wolves had low snarls as they went by letting the man know they meant business if he attempted hostile action toward the Elf.

"Are, you going to stand there forever?" He called out to the man as he continued in into the cave.

• Yay
Reactions: Flint
Flint almost jumped when the dark figure walked by, urging him to make haste and descend into the cave. The elf towered over him, and Flint was tall enough for a man. He took no time to acknowledge the barber as he was swallowed by the darkness of the cave, Flint raising a skeptical eyebrow as he considered what he'd just seen.

The hairs on the back of his neck raised as the low booming growls filled the air behind him, Flint looking over his shoulder to see he was surrounded by four wolves. Turning to fully face them now, Flint rested a hand at his belt. They were remarkably clean for wolves, each sporting a sleek black coat, their leader larger than any mere dog he'd ever seen. Their sudden arrival and groomed appearance led Flint to believe (and hope) that the wolves belonged to the elf. His belief was validated as the wolves began to walk rather casually past him, descending into the cave after their master.

Flint brought up the rear, lighting a torch as he descended down the craggy path. "A fellow adventurer? Or have you other business down here?", he called out, the vast caverns carrying his words downwards so that the elf could easily hear. "My name is Flint, by the way. Barber of Elbion, among other things. Who might you be?"

• Yay
Reactions: Oberen Darkwølf
As the man caught up Oberen made no attempt to turn around. The wolves eyed him carefully as he approached they made no attempt to attack the man bit kept a weary eye on him. The wolves were quiet friendly to those they got to know and did not deem a threat to their master.

As the barber spoke to him he responded though in his cold monotone voice.

"Oberen, Raventhorne Ranger" He paused for a moment he patted shadow on his haunches, each of the wolves were big enough to be a mount. " This is Shadow, I would not get to close to him" he nodded to the other three wolves " Thst one is Moon, his mate the other two are Braun and Helga, they are the offspring of Shadow and Moon, despite their size they are still pups, almost into adulthood."

As they continued their path the Elf responded to the first question.

" I heard tales of this place from some old woman, I thought I'd take a look, some treasure might be had and my supplies and funds were running low, trust me you don't want to see these thing hungry" He nodded to the pack

• Yay
Reactions: Flint
Flint regarded the wolves as their master introduced each one. Shadow, Moon... such poetic names seemed fitting, if not melodramatic, for such graceful yet ferocious beasts. Oberen, as he identified himself, spoke flatly, and seemed to have little interest in whether the barber followed him into the depths or not. Regardless, he kept pace, and held the torch aloft so that its light was cast well ahead of them. The cave was beginning to narrow, and he was feeling doubtful that a town or city could really exist within.

"I certainly would prefer if you kept your party fed, my limbs are quite valuable to me", he smirked.

"I imagine we met the same woman", he suggested, remaining a few steps behind the wolves. "I had wondered whether following this trail on her word was such a wise plan. She was quite old, and seems to be sharing her tale with anyone who'll listen. Maybe she's losing it, or just looking for someone to talk to". He staggered momentarily as his toe snagged on a rock.
"Or maybe she's telling the truth, which begs the question... If there was treasure and adventure lying down here, then how come no one's ever ventured down to find out?".
He allowed his questions to hang for a moment, listening as Oberen spoke.

• Yay
Reactions: Oberen Darkwølf
Oberen him self wondered that too but often the old were ignored, deemed mad by those around them. Age did tricky things to the mind and the mind was a tricky thing. He had seen his father waste away. Even the intellect and wit of an Elf was no match for time, the taker of all things. Even beyond death, there was time.

"Perhaps they thought her mad. The thing is, is that there is often truth in madness, the trick is finding it

As the cave began to tighten Oberen whistled in three distint notes through his teeth. Braun and Helga moved into the path before them.

"This was on my way. So fool erand or not, it is something to do"

His voice continued to lay flat as the stone floor beneath them, also just as cold.

"What brings a barber to such a place?"

Unbelievable...
Darkensand could not believe it at first, when he sensed the Magical Aura of a Minor Fragment nearby, even less could he believe, that an Old Woman was at some Point near his Soul Fragment and was not consumed by it, truly how lucky for her, and him.
The annoying Part was, to Question her, and there was only one Solution, which he disliked.
He had to put once more, an Iron Mask above his Face, truly a Displeasing Experience, after all, it took the Ability to, magically, See from him, now only his Sensoric Abilities allowed him to Observe his Environment, he never liked it when he had to rely on a single Thing, without a Back Up, and despite the unlikeliness of any Threat appearing, he still felt discomfortable, sadly he had to do it.

After asking the Old Woman, whether she felt recently, as if her very Life was drained, she started mentioning a Cave and a Tale about an abandoned Settlement, that was once and is now no more.
He could not remember any Settlement at the described Location, then again, he was... Asleep, for a long time.
After leaving the Old Woman with a bit of Copper, in Exchange for her help, he begun his March towards this seemingly abandoned Settlement.

Darkensand could hear Voices, two to be exact.
Seems like the Woman told others about this Cave and it's Settlement, Trouble... or Opportunity?
He would soon find out.
From her description, the Town was quite large, and he could use some Help, then again, Darkensand was not one that would his Will upon others and hoped to Strike a Deal, his Assistance with whatever they intend to do, in Exchange for their Help in his Search, if that failed, he hoped they at least would not disturb his Search and by no means take his Fragment for themselves, in which Case he would have to use more violent means, to achieve his Goal.

Beforehand, he would have to reveal himself to the two, it would not be a Wise Idea to try to fool them, the possible Problems a sudden Reveal later on would pose, would be worse, than taking care of the Problem now and Eliminating Future Complications. If necessary, eliminating the both of them right now, although he hoped, there would be no need to go that far.
Hopefully they would either be open towards Undead or at least not show outright Hostility against him.

"If I may interrupt the fellow Adventurer.
First and foremost, I apologize for my... unusual Appearance, but despite it, I did not come with harmful Intention aimed at any one of the both of you, as long as you do not harbor any Ill Intent towards me.
I digress, It seems to me, that you came to this Place with the Intention, to acquire Material Wealth, if I did not mishear what you said?
I may be of Assistance, although I do not seek Wealth, but a Item of Personal Value to me, which I assume to be in the Settlement, so I would in Exchange for my Assistance, ask the modest Favor of your Help in my Search, and I would appreciate it,
if your Dire Wolves would abstain from biting into my Bones, I fear that otherwise, their Jaws may break, and what a Shame would that be, wouldn't it?
That is by no means a Threat, just a Warning, that my Old Bones, are quite... sturdy.
I do hope, you accept my Proposition."

Flint
Oberen Darkwølf