Fate - First Reply The Grove's Protector

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Nairth San'Seya

Chamberlain of The Spring Court - Hand of Oberon
Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
Life is beauty.

Those were the words that he'd lived by for ages, generation after generation he was fueled by his love of life, the beauty that it created on this planet that all beings roamed. Nairth San'Seya was a being of incredible strength, to be sure. However, that strength meant nothing without the air that filled his lungs with every breath, without the grass between his toes and the sun at his back. He often wondered why his Fae brethren were so insistent on spending all of their time making paltry deals with mortals, politicking amongst each other and vying for things as fickle as power. Nairth needed none of it, he need only be at one with the world around him to find a semblance of peace.

What better place was there to attune yourself with nature than the lush forests that covered much of Falwood? The Duanann was attuned to the energies of the life around him, so even his usual loneliness was quite abated when surrounded by the wildlife that covered every inch of the woodland. That was where the tall, silver haired Fae was now, lounging bare-skinned on a gigantic leaf situated in the center of a small grove, supported by thick stems that rose from the ground and weaved in and out of each other as though built to hold a bridge aloft over water. The grove was teeming with life, trees and flowers surrounding the Nairth's spot, a small pond to his right side, vines worming their way up from out of the water, the sounds of toads, birds, and other creatures was thick in the air. To Nairth, this grove was heaven.

He'd found this spot many years ago, before he'd fully come into his own as a Duanann. It was where he'd made his first pact, and met his first Human. The importance of the event was never lost on Nairth, and the pristineness of the grove it happened in struck the spiritual creature as fate. He warded and shielded this grove, ensuring that no mere adventurer could enter it's hallowed grounds. This tiny little grove, situated in the southernmost part of the Elven lands, became Nairth's home away from the tribulations of his kind. These trees and plants knew him far better than any in his court did; They'd been here when he would bring lovers to his grove, when he christened his children with their names: The San'Seya. They were here for the sorrowful years after he slew every San'Seya, when he could do naught but weep and regret. They'd seen him at his peak and at his lowest, every lover's sigh, mournful tear and father's wisdom sunken deep into the roots of everything here.

The life that surrounded him here was all the family that he had. Perhaps, it was all that he needed.

It was his concern for the wellbeing of that family that now caused him to stir. He'd felt it in his right arm: A small twinge of pain that told him one of his thresholds protecting this place had been crossed by mortal. His slumbering eyes shot open, their golden hues burning with a flame not of fury, but of wonderment. It had been ages since anybody had crossed his wards, and ages since he had spoken to a being not of his own kind.

As if responding to his excitement, branches from the trees around him began to grow rapidly, the rustling of their many leaves overpowering the sound of idle nature around them as they extended downwards, the thin lengths of wooden branch wrapping around the laying Nairth's wrists and gently lifting him up and off of his 'bed'. As he was carried to the soft mossy dirt beneath, a swarm of butterflies of all sizes and colors would erupt from the bushes and treetops to surround the Fae's naked form. By the time Nairth could feel the softness of Arethil beneath his feet, the bugs had changed; a living robe with the colors of all of the creatures who had swarmed him now covered his body.

The branches release him, and he stretches his arms out lackadaisically, allowing a yawn to escape him. "I'd be much more elated, were my apparent guest not interrupting a nap." His droning sarcasm aside, he was wise enough to be on his guard. He knew mortals well enough to know that most of them had no thought for the sanctity of life around them. Selfish creatures...

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Selina Altas

Selina Altas

Universalist Wizard
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
"It's not a magical nexus? But the power radiating from this place is immense!"
Selina conversed with her familiar, a spirit summoned in the form of a little margay cat. The margay, named Dale, spoke with a resigned tone.
"I would tell you to turn back, you really don't want to mess with places like this... But I know you won't listen to me so I'm telling ya that you got to be ready, set up your wards and cast your mage armor. You need every edge you can get!"
That was the beauty of a witches familiar over an arcane familiar, they actually knew things that their summoners didn't know.

"If I go into somebodies home, past all their wards and protections, I probably shouldn't go in fire blazing... If it's dangerous I have you and Umbar to watch my back and a head full of arcane knowledge. We'll get out like we always have."
Selina had made it her mission to locate various magical nexus across Arethil. These nexus were the crossings of magical leylines, and sometimes a crossing consisted of several leylines. At the location of these nexus a grove was often formed, a grove where everything touched was a thing of magical and enchanted qualities. Herbs more potent, materials more durable and higher quality, the monsters and animals more special or dangerous. The more leyines intersecting the more powerful the materials and creatures of the grove.

Selina touched her staff to the outer wards and recited a dispelling incantation. She had no magic in or of herself, but her staff was crafted with a tree from a powerful nexus of many crossings. It was the bridge that allowed her to manipulate the flow of magic into her spells.
She opened a door in the wards and stepped through. It was like stepping into another plane of existence, the colors were so bright and otherworldly and everything was alive, it showed all the signs of a nexus with at least five or six intersecting leylines.

The peace in the air was almost tangible, and every step she took seemed loud and obnoxious, disturbing the quiet wildlife and made her feel bad for being there. But she pressed on, her eyes on a sharp lookout for herbs and enemies alike.
She approached the clearing and stopped in her tracks... She watched as a naked man was lowered to the ground and then dressed by the butterflies.
She gulped nervously... If this man was a creature of the fey then she was either screwed or very lucky.

Steeling her nerves and taking a deep breath she stepped forward into the clearing.
She had prepared what she was going to say but now that she was face to face with one of the fey she was at a loss for words.
She just stared with a look of awe on her face.

• Smug
Reactions: Nairth San'Seya

Nairth San'Seya

Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
Nairth was quite uncertain who he was to expect encroaching on his territory. One would need a significant magical ability to bypass wards created from a Duanann's ley magick. Should a being of such power wish to threaten violence against him, he would be forced to break his personal code. On the other hand, there were ways around such a strength requirement. Nonetheless, he couldn't help finding himself more curious than angry.

Nairth's relationship with non-Fae was a complicated. They were life, and just as he loved life so too did he love humanity and it's many branches and offshoots. They were a cunning, resourceful and hardy type.

But many of them cared not for that which Nairth protected. They mindlessly tore down forests and drained lakes to build their cities of stone and steel. They were, for all of their admirable qualities, lesser of mind. There was a line to his love, one that was not to be crossed. He could not trust any who was not of his blood not to attempt and steal away that which was his. At least, not entirely. Trust or not, he did not cause harm to other life.

So when he slid those golden eyes opened, his sharpened hearing guiding his head to the source of the only sound that disturbed the peace of his little world to meet the human woman who now stepped through the trees into the heart of his little grove, the tall broad shouldered Duanann offered her a warm smile that hid his discomfort with her presence.

"It's been some time since I've seen a human, let alone had one walk into my little patch of forest without knocking first." A gentle laugh bubbled from his throat, offset by the deepness of his voice. He raises his hands, and the canopy of leaves over their heads changes shape. The shapes of shadow that littered the ground from the sunlight peaking through the leaves shifts so that the sun shines down on his visitor brightly, as though nature itself was placing a spotlight on her.

He begins to move towards her, step by step. As large as he was, his footfalls seemed silent as he moved; sticks and dirt beneath his feet did not break or shift beneath his weight. "What brings you to my Grove, human?" His eyes scanned her as he moved closer, seeking to learn how she got this far. She looked well enough for a human, but he sensed no magical energy from her. On the contrary, she seemed as ordinary as could be. The way she was looking at him spoke to the fact she must not have expected him here...

"Is it power you seek? Knowledge? Pleasure?" He purred to the woman as he now circled her, his eyes roaming over her as if appraising her every inch. They were all things he'd been asked to provide before by her kind.

That staff she held, it was powerful. He felt magic within it that had far surpassed his own ability as a younger Fae. Dangerous magic indeed, if in the wrong hands. He could re-ward the Grove so that such a staff would not suffice in breaking his protections, but that would come later. "What..." He asked gently "Is your name?"

Selina Altas

Last edited:
  • Ctuhlu senpai

Selina Altas

Universalist Wizard
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
"It's been some time since I've seen a human, let alone had one walk into my little patch of forest without knocking first."
His words seemed to wake her up from her stupor.
Dale was also staring, but not in awe. His feline eyes wide with tense fear and his body tense to bolt, his voice a whisper as he extended and retracted his claws nervously, "Shit... We're dead, we're so screwed..."
Selina cleared her throat, "I-I apologize, I would have knocked but I... Uh... Didn't know what tree to knock on?"
She really hoped he had a sense of humor... She was staking her life on it. She could cast powerful spells and might be able to put up a fight, but she didn't have the sort of power to truly stand up to a higher being... Yet...

"What brings you to my Grove, human?"
He moved towards her, his unearthly golden eyes watching her, taking in every detail about her to do gods know what in that alien brain of his.
She was at a loss for words again, his unearthly beauty continuously striking her dumb.
"Is it power you seek? Knowledge? Pleasure?"
She remained motionless as he circled her, not in a predatory way... or so she hoped... But more like one who inspects a racing horse or a lady shopping for a new dress...
When he mentioned pleasure she wondered what sort of woman would survive an encounter with him... If she would survive... If she wanted to survive she had to find her wits, put up her guard which he had so easily thrown off.
She took a deep breath to calm her beating heart and quivering limbs.
"What..." He asked gently "Is your name?"
She closed her eyes and took a final deep breath before opening her eyes and pulling herself up straighter.
"I am Selina Altas. I am a Wizard and it is Knowledge that I seek. I am here in your grove to learn the secrets of magic that are hidden here... I did not know that one such as yourself would be here, but since you are I find myself hoping that you would share your knowledge with me..."

This was it, either he'd help her, send her away, or kill her... Or lie to her, deceive her, trick her. This wasn't her first encounter with the Fae or beings of similar origin. The spiritual realm was not unknown to her and she'd tapped into it many times when she was a witch and made a pact with the Leafsie Lord, as well as made a pact with her familiar and the Barghest as her ghostly bond. With the aid of these spirits she'd learned many things about the nature of magic in all its forms, it gave her insight into magic that surpassed all of her college classes put together.

Magic and the way of the world was all she truly cared about, learning those secrets and putting them into her spellbooks. She wanted it all, and she would go to any lengths to get them.

Nairth San'Seya

Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
The expression Nairth wore as she struggled through her nerves to speak and answer his call was constant; a small smile adorned his lips, and his eyes slid shut as though listening intently to every word she said. Really, all that mattered to the Fae was her final answer.

If the awe she was struggling to contain bothered him, he made no motion to show it. Instead, he interrupted her stutter with his own assurances, his eyes sliding open to meet her own. She was afraid, and he understood that. "I will bring no harm to you, Mortal. I assure you, I am not of a vengeful nature... Just answer my query." The Duanann punctuated with a light nod in her direction.

His pacing stopped upon hearing the answer she provided him with. A practitioner of the arcane, coming to seek knowledge from a place pure ley energy could be tapped into? She was far from the first to seek out the roots of magick, and the intense presence that weighed on her like a heavy curtain seemed to raise a bit as his posture loosened. The light coming from the trees seemed to dim at their branches returned to a normal state. His arms crossed over his chest now, the odd butterfly clothing he wore parting to expose the skin where he touched.

A low hum would sound from Nairth's throat, seeming to harmonize quite well with the sounds of nature around them. His head cocked to one side, lips parting to allow a breathy chuckle to escape him. He had to admire her bravery; even in the face of a creature she knew to have the power to wipe her from existence she stood firm and made her request. Many lesser men and women would have already fled, but it was testament to the hardiness of mortals that they were capable of such boldness. "The secrets of ley magick are not ones so readily shared to mortals. It would be quite unseelie of me to indulge you with all that I know. Far too reckless indeed." He mused. Even so, he found his better judgement failing him a bit. He'd always had such a soft spot for mortals, and this one was showing quite a bit of spirit.

"You came to a place few have ventured, stood before a Duanann and looked him in the eye while you requested his wisdom. That is an action that has seen many die. You are very brave, Selina Atlas, if nothing else." He brings a hand to his hair, brushing some of it from his eyes as he turns his gaze to a large patch of violet colored flowers some distance away from the two of them. As if responding to his gaze, the flowers shift and begin to bloom larger, a vibrant reflective sheen glimmering in the sunlight. "I have a proposition for you, Mortal. A deal." There was that magic word. He hadn't made a deal with a mortal in generations, but she had made a good impression on him. "Those are Gerrin Root Violets, the last that are known to exist in all of Arethil. They once shone beautifully in the sun all across Falwood, ancient elves used to refer to it as 'glitter weed' because how how splendorous it's shine is." The butterflies covering his body shifted, leaving his form briefly as they flew in unison towards the Gerrin Violets. Nairth followed them, gesturing for Selina to join him as he moved swiftly to the beautiful plants. "I would request that you spread the seeds from these violets across this forest, and give them a chance to survive for another generation. In return, I will grant you your request, and bestow upon you some of the secrets I hold."

Selina Altas

• Cthuulove

Selina Altas

Universalist Wizard
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
He was kind and reassuring and she drew confidence from that. His presence that weighed on her lifted and she took a breath of relief.
"The secrets of ley magick are not ones so readily shared to mortals. It would be quite unseelie of me to indulge you with all that I know. Far too reckless indeed."
She shook her head, "I mean no disrespect... I've already been to many magical Nexus, I've studied them and crafted many things with the materials and ingredients I found there, my staff came from a powerful grove as well."
"You came to a place few have ventured, stood before a Duanann and looked him in the eye while you requested his wisdom. That is an action that has seen many die. You are very brave, Selina Atlas, if nothing else." He brings a hand to his hair, brushing some of it from his eyes as he turns his gaze to a large patch of violet colored flowers some distance away from the two of them. As if responding to his gaze, the flowers shift and begin to bloom larger, a vibrant reflective sheen glimmering in the sunlight. "I have a proposition for you, Mortal. A deal."
She nodded and listened to him... This was it, a deal. A deal with the fae was the most risky undertaking for a mortal, she had to be cautious.
"Those are Gerrin Root Violets, the last that are known to exist in all of Arethil. They once shone beautifully in the sun all across Falwood, ancient elves used to refer to it as 'glitter weed' because how how splendorous it's shine is." The butterflies covering his body shifted, leaving his form briefly as they flew in unison towards the Gerrin Violets. Nairth followed them, gesturing for Selina to join him as he moved swiftly to the beautiful plants. "I would request that you spread the seeds from these violets across this forest, and give them a chance to survive for another generation. In return, I will grant you your request, and bestow upon you some of the secrets I hold."
She blinked and looked up at him.
"Really? Is that it? I know so many forbidden secrets already, ones that mortals haven't known for millenia and even secrets hidden by otherworldly creatures. I humbly ask that if you choose to share your knowledge with me, please do not hold back. If there is a greater task I can do in return for that I will do it if it's in my power."

Nairth San'Seya

Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
A light scoff escaped amused lips as she expounded on her previous experience with Nexus and the groves that indicated them. She was brazen, but like so many other humans that he had met, she toed the line of arrogant. His silvery locks fell over his face as he tilted his head down at her, the difference in their size only more clear from this short distance. She would detect his scent; wood, water and leaves wrapped into a delightful fragrance that seemed to fill the air around him.

"To study and experiment is not the same as being told the truth of what you observe. You would do well not to underestimate the weight of spoken wisdom, Selina Atlas." It was spoken as a reprimand, a reminder not to tread too recklessly with him. He was patient, but that patience was not infinite. "I assure you the words I offer are ones that are well worth the task laid ahead of you."

He outstretched a hand to the Gerrin Violets, and their blooms opened completely, the seeds from within them floating out from between their petals and moving to Nairth's palm. "You underestimate the difficulty of this task as well." He held out the small handful of seeds, at least two dozen of them. "These flowers did not become so rare by chance. Both the petals and the seeds are a delicacy to beast and man alike. They elicit a euphoric, orgasmic response in most mortals. They are highly sought after for this extremely pleasurable reaction, as you might expect."

He flicked his other hand towards the flowers again, and they closed, receding back to their original, diminutive size. He offers Selina a smile as he puts forth the true test he had laid out for her. "Your success will be judged not on the planting of the seeds, but on how well you can use what secrets you've learned thus far to protect them from harm." He closed his eyes, an elated expression on his face. "Should you exceed my expectations, I may see fit to grant you even greater boon, Selina Atlas."

Selina Altas

• Cthuulove

Selina Altas

Universalist Wizard
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
"To study and experiment is not the same as being told the truth of what you observe. You would do well not to underestimate the weight of spoken wisdom, Selina Atlas." It was spoken as a reprimand, a reminder not to tread too recklessly with him. He was patient, but that patience was not infinite. "I assure you the words I offer are ones that are well worth the task laid ahead of you."
She took the reprimand, she hadn't meant her words in an arrogant way, she merely spoke the truth of her experiences and thought she could bypass a longer winded explanation of her capabilities by cutting to the chase. She looked at the ground and nodded, "I... Yes I know... I apologize if it sounded like I didn't understand that."
"You underestimate the difficulty of this task as well." He held out the small handful of seeds, at least two dozen of them. "These flowers did not become so rare by chance. Both the petals and the seeds are a delicacy to beast and man alike. They elicit a euphoric, orgasmic response in most mortals. They are highly sought after for this extremely pleasurable reaction, as you might expect."
She looked at the seeds in his palm and the task set before her. These plants lacked a natural defense mechanism and thus faced extinction do to over consumption... She thought back to his offer of pleasure and wondered if this was how he would have done it had she gone down that route.
Already her mind brought forward spells and enchantments she could use to safeguard these seeds, rituals of protection, wards and shields against whatever danger she specified... But she wanted to do something out of the box... Needless to say, she felt no shortage of options on how to accomplish this task.

"Your success will be judged not on the planting of the seeds, but on how well you can use what secrets you've learned thus far to protect them from harm." He closed his eyes, an elated expression on his face. "Should you exceed my expectations, I may see fit to grant you even greater boon, Selina Atlas."
Just from hearing the task itself and the options presented to her off the bat she didn't feel like this even came close to scratching the surface of all the secrets she knew. One way or the other these seeds will bloom and thrive under her care.
She looked up at him, "Thank you, my lord... I will greatly value your gift. But I feel that I must stress that I said what I did not out of arrogance or posturing, I simply thought to assuage any fears you may have harbored of breaking my mind by revealing your great secrets."
She smiled, "I specialize in knowing thinks I shouldn't... And everything about them."

Nairth San'Seya

Fae Courts
Character Biography
Link
The Duanann reached out now, taking one of her small hands in his much larger ones. He gently lifts her hand towards where he carried the seeds, and with all the care in the world he delicately pours the seeds onto her palm. "Rest assured." His voice was as soft as velvet as he purred down to her, his eyes narrowing in some sort of affection to meet her smile. "I would not have offered you this opportunity if I did not have faith in your ability to succeed, dear Selina Atlas."

He certainly hoped that she wouldn't get herself killed. As much as he hated to admit it, he was quite fond of her ambition. Humans had a tendency to rise above their stations, to reach for goals and knowledge far above their birthright. It was a trait he both envied and loathed at the same time.

Selina Atlas was, at least, treating such an undertaking with a level of respect he wasn't often shown by mortals.

He releases her hand slowly, his fingers tracing her own before he allowed his hands to fall back to his sides, and meet behind his back. The last words she spoke caused his brows to shift, and he looked at her with... what was that expression on his face now? Intrigue? "Is that so? Be careful, it can be very dangerous to make me curious." He teased her lightly.

"Now, where do you begin? Please take note that I will be accompanying you on this task. I must ensure the safety of those seeds in the event that you are killed, but I will not be interfering with any danger to you." His head cocks to the side, and grins. "Lead the way."

Selina Altas

• Devil

Selina Altas

Universalist Wizard
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
"Rest assured." His voice was as soft as velvet as he purred down to her, his eyes narrowing in some sort of affection to meet her smile. "I would not have offered you this opportunity if I did not have faith in your ability to succeed, dear Selina Atlas."
She averted her eyes from his, but she was smiling, "Thank you my lord, you honor me with your confidence... But my family name is Altas, not Atlas."

"Is that so? Be careful, it can be very dangerous to make me curious."
She took that statement seriously, but it didn't warrant a response. She nodded somberly and took the warning.

"Now, where do you begin? Please take note that I will be accompanying you on this task. I must ensure the safety of those seeds in the event that you are killed, but I will not be interfering with any danger to you." His head cocks to the side, and grins. "Lead the way."
She nodded and closed her hand over the seeds before placing the precious cargo in her bag of holding. The seeds will return to her hand automatically when she reaches into the bag.
She was to do this alone, and maybe she could show off a bit for this fae.

"Very well... I suppose one direction is as good as any?"
She started off towards the south to leave his warded grove.

Last edited: