Private Tales The Great Autumn Fae Bake Off

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zaire

Nerf this
Character Biography
Link
Fighting a necromancer cult with hideous, fleshy monsters to fighting demons and being in an insufferable humid jungle to then getting her ass handed to her publicly in front of multiple courts to fighting a horde of large spiders meant that Luella Balsinde needed a break. She had had enough danger, gore, and bruising for awhile, although, being a warrior seeking to go up in the ranks and obtain powerful positions meant that she couldn’t be away from it for long. However, today was a day that was meant for rest, if only for a few hours. Of course that morning she had worked her body as hard as possible, up before the sun even rose to take out all of her frustrations on her muscles. Pro: muscles got stronger. Con: she was struggling to walk up the few stairs leading into her small home.

Deep breath, one leg up. Another deep breath to bring the other foot up. She was gripping the wooden railing like a feeble hunchback who had spaghetti noodles for legs, not caring when her neighbor looked over at scoffed at her struggles. Luella made her signature scowl as she glared at the faded brick steps, the claymore strapped to her back sliding around as she took the last two steps. Finally. Luella sighed, whispering magick, unlocking the pale, wooden door and stepped inside, refraining from looking over at her neighbor watering the plants with a gloating look. Yes, she, Luella Balsinde, had walked up four steps after completing one of the most strenuous leg and core days ever.

Walking through the small, plain hallway that widened into a quaint common room, Luella finally swung her claymore off of her, placing it loving onto it’s perch, nearly the length of the wall, considering it was six feet long. She looked over to the single clock in her home, seeing that it was almost three in the afternoon. She quickly went to her room, changing out of breeches and tunic to put on something more clean— a plain, loose-fitting navy dress. She should’ve ran back home, her friend was to arrive soon. The duanann quickly went to the single bathroom, splashing clean water on her face and quickly cleaning her hands, trying to scrape all the dirt off from her finger nails before looking at the looking glass, seeing how her pale hair stuck to her brow. Oh well. Samara had seen her in worse conditions—namely, coughing up blood all over herself. She did however went to start rebranding her hair before hearing the knock at her door.

Coming!” Luella hollered, her fingers still deftly moving strands together as quickly as possible in a simple braid, finishing right as she got to the door. She tied the end, opening it up and looking at Samara almost sheepishly. “I got carried away with training,” she murmured, dipping her head down a bit in a greeting. “I’m glad you had some time today, it’s good to see you.

Samara Khalid

• Haha
Reactions: Garrod Arlette
Samara looked at her friend and shook her head when she opened the door. "Of course you did, Lue. You don't actually know how to take a day off." She held out the bottle of sweet white wine with a smile, "I brought your favorite." She walked past Luella and entered the house. She had been there once before and it was still adorable and quaint. Samara had offered a space in her house for Luella, but the woman was stubborn.

"I am a little afraid to ask what you have planned today. It's not that I don't trust you...but I don't trust you!" She loved Luella dearly, but she had never actually seen her relax. That meant when Lue had mentioned having a girls day Samara was a tad concerned about her future.

Luella Balsinde

Luella shrugged, although a slight frown appeared on her lips as she considered Samara’s words. “There’s a saying, as you grow stronger so do your enemies— oh thank you,” Luella started before taking of the wine. Her lips twinged up ever so slightly, one of the rare half-smiles that happened outside of battle and bloodshed. Samara had been one of the few people to realize that Luella only drank sweet things, and appreciated it dearly. She shut the door, following Samara into the common room before motioning her to follow into the small kitchen. Despite Luella’s house being small, with everything being minimalistic, there were plenty of room for the two women. Counter space was lacking, though.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t trust me,” The blonde huffed, pulling out a basket of eggs and then going through her cupboards to pull out other items: butter, flour, sugar, chocolate, and oil. “The last month has been… like… getting fucked sideways with a broom.” She said finally as she pulled out measuring cups and a large bowl. “So I thought we could… make a cake.” Her gentle voice grew softer as she trailed off, looking over at Samara for confirmation that this was what was normal and expected of when having a girls day.

Samara Khalid

Samara watched Luella flit around the small kitchen and raised an eyebrow as she started pulling ingredients out of the cupboards. What the fuck is this woman up to? Samara had figured out that they were baking something by the time everything was sitting on the counter. A cake? Then Lue answered the silent question and Samara started laughing.

"You want us to bake a cake? What could go wrong? You know that I don't do well with following recipes!" She grabbed the bottle of wine and opened it. They would definitely need more than just this bottle today. She was oddly excited though. It was nice to have a female friend who wasn't in the Sluagh with her.

Luella Balsinde

• Smug
Reactions: Zaire
The slump in her shoulders showed her relief, after all, she didn’t know what she would do if Samara had just laughed in her face. Probably just scowled and glare at the eggs until they boiled and turned hard.

I used to bake often,” Luella said, looking over at the ingredients before hearing the pop of the wine bottle. She went once more to the cupboards, pulling out two wine glasses and handed one to Samara. “It’s been a few centuries though. I do remember the recipe for the most part.” She added, starting to put wet ingredients on one side and dry on another. She preferred to be organized. “So, what’s new with you? Been busy with the boys?” She asked, mentioning the mismatch gang of black shucks and cwn annwn.

Samara Khalid

Samara poured some wine into each glass and set the bottle back on the counter. She picked up the glass and watched Lue as she separated the ingredients. "The boys are irritating per usual. I hope Jago falls off a cliff and I am pretty sure Cas is getting worse. I could feel his eyes on me all night at the Vitae Party. It was creepy." She was not sure what was up with the cwn annwn, but he was really weird and she really did not like it.

"Baen is Baen, but he has been busy so I haven't seen him too much. He also can't stand any of us so," she shrugged with a look of what are you gonna do. She took a drink of her wine and leaned against the counter. "You have been busy too, Lue. Where have you been lately?"

Luella Balsinde

• Thoughtful
Before getting to work, Luella took her glass of wine and took a sip. A hint of a smile was about to take place until Samara mentioned her “pack mates” as Luella liked to put it. She referred to them much the same way she would if she ever spoke to Baen about work. The only “puppy” Lue tolerated that she had met was Baen and Samara. And after having officially met the cwn siblings, Luella felt she’d rather not meet more, philandering with weakness wasn’t her cup of tea.

Cas likes you,” she said matter of factly, looking over at Samara and tilting her head slightly. Not that she’d ever admit it, but Samara was most definitely dense when it came to flirting— especially when the person was a bad flirt. Luella was also a bad flirt, often making someone more uncomfortable instead of flattered. “And you looked pretty in silver, from what I remember.” Long black hair, Luella had a thing for women with long hair in general, but there was something about black hair that made her hungry— and Samara had beautiful long, black hair.

I’ve been working, much like you,” the duanann said softly, taking a large gulp of the wine and then setting it down to wash her hands. “I…” she paused, wondering if she should share such a thing and then thought better of it. “I got a love potion for Urube so he’d get off my ass about trying to take me to dinner so he could have a chance getting it in.” Her voice was disgruntled and as she wiped her hands clean on a towel, her face was already marred by irritation.

Samara Khalid

Samara groaned. Contrary to what her friend believed, she was not dense when it claim to flirting. She just did not have time for people who beat around the bush. If you wanted to see Samara again, fucking tell her. Cas was just creepy though. He followed her around like the puppy he was and he just stared at her. It was giving her the creeps just thinking about. Luella, on the other hand, was such a bad flirt that Samara chose to ignore it as to not hurt the beautiful womans feelings.

Samara smiled when her friend complimented her. She had looked good in that dress. She would have to get more in the color that matched her eyes so perfectly. "I did look pretty in that dress," she remembered fondly. "And you looked pretty covered in blood." It was a joke but she cringed when she remembered that Lue was a sore loser. "Sorry, my jokes aren't funny."

The Black Shuck was mid drink when Luella mentioned the love potion and she choked when her friend literally said the words getting it in. She coughed a few times, trying to regain her breath and she wiped the tears from her eyes. "I was going to ask how your love life was, but I suppose that answers some part of the question. Gods, Lue, I don't know what to do with you the majority of the time."

She took another drink of the wine and gestured towards the ingredients. "I don't bake so you will have to walk me through everything."

Luella Balsinde

• Smug
The comment, “you looked pretty in covered in blood” was actually taken as a compliment at first. Until three seconds later when Samara covered it up as a joke. Luella frowned. Was she ugly in blood? She remembered how she had hung her mouth opened and let the blood and drool that had mixed within her cheeks fall out to the dirt in think globules. Okay, so it probably wasn’t very pretty, but at least she hadn’t puked, right?

Good thing I didn’t care for the dress.” The design was beautiful, just not the mint green color, in Luella’s opinion. She always liked to show the contours of her waist as she was quite proud of it. The flare of tulle from her hips also made her feel more comfortable as it hid one of her most noted assets— it meant less stares to sexualize her, something she found rampant in her male colleagues. “What? Did i say something wrong?” There was genuine confusion on her face. Her vernacular was no longer refined, or rather, in the presence of Samara, Luella no longer felt stifled.

I’ve forgotten the recipe as well,” Luella admitted, but despite this, she began measuring out the flour. “I do know we need two eggs cracked. Can you break them in this bowl?” She asked her friend once the flour had been measured and then handed Samara the items, two brown eggs and a empty bowl. She then began sifting the flour. “Speaking of my loss, I have plans to ask Lord Wulren to aid me in learning better swordsmanship. I…” a brief pause, the white flour sifted through. “I do plan on joining the Sluagh, Samara.” There were brief discussions on Sluagh work, and Luella had always felt that perhaps… Samara didn’t want her to join. Not because Samara didn’t like her but for the exact opposite: because Samara did care for her. And to be fair, Luella had tried not to join. But at the same time, this wasn’t the Winter Court. This was the Autumn Court, and to be someone, one joined the Sluagh and killed efficiently.

Samara Khalid

Samara shook her head at her friend, "no, Lue, I was joking. It sounds like your love life is complicated is all I meant." Samara tried to be funny sometimes but it just didn't work. She was still learning this whole being normal friends and not friends who murder together thing. She felt like she sucked at it most of the time.

Samara took a drink of her wine before taking the bowl and the two eggs. She set it down on a small empty space of the counter and tapped the first egg gently on the edge of the bowl before doing the same with the other. "I think Wulren would be a great choice to help with your swordsmanship. You are already good, of course, but that fight...man." She had half watched the fight and half flirted with Raphael. She smiled thinking about their dancing before Luella's last sentence hit her.

“I do plan on joining the Sluagh, Samara.”

The Black Shuck let you a sigh and finished her glass of wine. Lue was more than capable of joining the Sluagh. She was an excellent fighter, but she did her own thing. Samara was not sure how she would like taking orders and doing the Erlking's bidding no matter what it was. If they were told to kill a child then that is what they did. Being a member of the Wild Hunt had been Samara's dream since she was young and she got to live that dream everyday.

"Why?" She did not mean for it to sound harsh and she hoped Luella wouldn't take it as such. She was curious what had sparked this interest all of a sudden. She refilled her glass and leaned against the counter.

Luella Balsinde

• Smug
It’s harder to fight in a dress, I was worried a boob would pop out or if I jumped too high someone would see my ass,” Luella huffed, which had been at the back in her mind but really, if Luella had to fight buck naked then she would with little qualms. Some discomfort made the mind stronger. “It’s not like I was wearing my binder under a dress.” She added, as if that would somehow make sense why she lost so greatly to Wulren after one slap to her face with the sword and then proceeded to slam her head into the wooden wall.

For balance, of course, here, pour in five drops of this and two from this,” she said, skipping over the fact that “for balance” was of course the more politically correct answer to say. Everyone knew the real reason why those joined the Sluagh and it was for more than just balance. She gave Samara two vials and then handed her a whisk. “And whisk it when you’re done.” Flour was measured, now it was time for the sugar and other dry ingredients, which Luella did as she decided now was a good time to change the subject. And the best way to change the subject was to redirect, a fae standard they learned before many could even speak.

So, anything you should be telling me?” Luella prompted, glancing over at Samara and then refilling her glass higher than where it was when Samara had originally filled it.

Samara Khalid

Samara silently took the vials from Luella and did as she was told. Five drops from this one, two drops from this one, she thought to herself as she counted the drops. She set the vials down and started to whisk the wet ingredients. "You know you have to listen to orders from someone else, right? Plus we are all assholes!"

Again, she had no issue with Lue wanting to join, but she wanted to make sure that her friend knew what she was getting into. It was not just some non-stop party, it was dirty work that many would not be able to stomach. She had killed children before because that is what she was told to do.

Samara was pulled from her morbid thoughts and took a drink from her glass. "Ummm no?" She had a feeling that Luella was prompting her to speak of if anything had happened with Raphael after the Vitae Court party. She smiled sheepishly, very much not an expression that many had ever seen on her face.

"Are you talking about me dancing with Raphael?" The Hound asked as she finished whisking and set the whisk aside. "Cause nothing happened..." She trailed off, wondering if she should continue. She should. "But we are going on a hike on his next day off and I know the perfect waterfall to end it at with a swim cause you know I love water." Loving water was one of those canine traits she could not get away from. It was the same when she thought about going for walks.

"Or did you mean something else?"

Luella Balsinde

Luella frowned, glancing over at Samara. Did she really come off as such a loose cannon? Surely her outbursts at the vitae party didn’t prove that about her character? Or did it? Despite Luella wanting to lose her emotions and be the perfect embodiment of what she felt would be a refined, young warrior woman from the 50 houses of duanann, she seemed to be failing.

“I’m willing to sacrifice my freedom if it means I am able to find redemption,” she answered, and luckily, the conversation had changed into something far more interesting, at least for Luella. Yes she may have enjoyed huge swords and only smiled when she defeated her opponents, but she was still a woman after all. And gossip—especially that about newfound love— got her very interested.

“Actually I had no idea about you dancing with someone named Raphael?” Luella couldn’t hide the glitter of enjoyment in her lilac eyes as she looked at Samara. She took the wet ingredients bowl and slowly began mixing it with the dry ingredients, using a whisk. “So… you’re going on a date with with him basically?” Despite their relationship starting from Lue wanting to sleep with Samara, Luella was more than happy to encourage Samara’s romantic pursuits. After all, they were friends now and Luella didn’t sleep with her friends.

“Do you plan on swimming naked… together?” She had asked. It was the current elephant in the room after all.

Samara Khalid

Samara growled at her friend. If she had something to throw at the blonde warrior, she would've. "Yes, I guess it's a...date," she answered tentatively. "I don't know if it is. It's just a hike. I don't know...I like him." Why were the words just flooding out now. "And no, I don't plan on swimming naked together, but I wouldn't be opposed to the prospect."

She took a sip of her wine as heat ran up her cheeks. She was not the type to get embarrassed when talking about guys, but Raphael was so different. "I just haven't dated anyone since Vaer..." Her sentence trailed off as she realized that she had never told anyone about herself, Vaer, and their 200 year secret relationship. She took another drink of wine and it was a lot longer this time.

Luella Balsinde

• Haha
Luella grinned, Samara’s growls did nothing to frighten her, call it the strength of their friendship or the fact that despite not being a dog person, Luella found it cute to get her friend riled up. “Ah, you like him. Interesting, so going on a date… and possibly swimming naked. My, you must really like him.” She teased, whisking away, before realizing that she was forgetting something. But what was it? She paused, going through her small pantry once again, searching around and hopefully seeing it and being reminded that it was needed.

Luella tilted her head slightly, Vaer? Really? She took a break from her searching and stood up, then glanced over at Samara. “So you like the dark, tall and broody guys that weren’t hugged enough as a child?” It wasn’t accusatory, if anything, it was more teasing. And besides, Vaer was just some successful young adult in Luella’s eyes, she had never met him, only briefly heard snippets from Samara. And if they dated? Who cared. As long as no harm was none to Samara, Luella wouldn’t feel the need to interfere.

Samara Khalid

Samara choked on her wine and took a few minutes to stop coughing all while glaring at her friend. "I guess I do have a type," she conceded once she was done dying. "I don't know. Vaer irritated me because everything was so secret and we were together for a long time. No one knew. No one could know. I shouldn't even be telling you about it cause him and his contracts. Ugh!" She refilled her glass and took another drink.

"Baen and I are...were....purely physical." She wasn't sure if she would ever fuck him again. Obviously not if things with Raphael went well. She shrugged and changed the subject from her fucked up love life. "Any love interests on your end, Lue?"

Luella Balsinde

Luella continued to rummage around her pantry, pushing things inside and inspecting everything. She did find another vial, unlabeled, but… well, she needed another wet ingredient right? This was maybe it? Maybe that’s why she couldn’t remember the name? She grabbed it anyhow, opened it and sniff it. It smelled like it… maybe almond? That would work well in this.

Vaer is of little interest to me, two centuries is a long time though,” she tilted her head at how Samara admitted she was irritated about being kept a secret. Was it wrong to hide a relationship? Did people need to know? Luella, at least after her time in Night Court, felt that hiding romances was beneficial to all parties involved. Or perhaps she was just really messed up now. “But Baenon too?” Luella shook her head, unable to really picture it, thinking back to their card nights. Luella was going to keep prodding Samara more on her love interest until Samara brought it back to her.

Love interests?” A harsh bark-like laugh came from Luella, her eyes not smiling as she poured whatever vial into the batter. Capped it and then she whisked away. “I’d rather have lust than love. Unfortunately, Sam, I don’t have anything exciting to share, I’m not cut out for romance.” The whisking was finally complete, Luella making quick work of it with her strong arms and then proceeded to pour it into a mold.

Samara Khalid

"Do not judge me, Luella Zillah Balsinde!" Samara snapped at her friend with a smile on her face. "Baen and I only hooked up after the hunts. Bloodlust and all that really gets the adrenaline going. That is why I am allowed to hug him when no one else is," she chuckled. She did love tormenting Baen with her allotted hug per interaction. It never got old.

"Fine, smartass. Any lust interests?" Samara knew Lue was more premiscious than she was so she knew there were stories that the blonde was holding back. "Spill the secrets, Lue!" She watched the batter being poured into the mold with interest. She was very excited for this cake.

Luella Balsinde

Luella winced, more of a reaction coming from her middle name being used than when someone kicked her in the shin. She shrugged it off, having heated her small oven when she realized Samara would be over soon and now it was ready. Placing on oven mitts, she took the mold, placed it into the oven, and then shut the door. They needed more wine. Lue did just that, taking off the mitts to pull out another bottle and uncorked it with ease. She looked over at Samara, and smiled.

Why are you so curious? Jealous someone may take my attention away from you?” Deflection once again, but really, also a tease. “I’m just more curious on how sleeping with some equates to hugging them. Doesn’t correlate in my experience.” She filled up Samara’s glass first and then hers, setting the bottle down and picking up her glass, Luella took a long swig. “I’m not interested in anyone. Or, I suppose… I’ve upset them and may not see them again. I said they behaved like a child. And made them cry. Not in that order though.” Luella paused. Well, that sounded worse!

Samara Khalid

"I am curious because you were grilling me about mine so you have to spill too. That is how friendship works." She took a drink from her now once again full glass and listened to Luella talk about making someone cry.

"You made them cry and then you told them that they were acting like a child? Gods, Lue, you are terrible. Please tell me it was a woman because I am trying to imagine the pride you would have shattered in a male fae."
Samara shook her head and took another drink.

She was starting to feel a little bit of tingle from wine. The space between sober and buzzed where everything just seems relaxed. "Lue, do you ever want to get married and have a family?" Samara wasn't sure where the question had come from but it was a topic they had never broached before.

Luella Balsinde

“My personality is complete and utter shit,” Luella had said this plenty of times before. She didn’t hide the fact that she as an asshole, or ignorant, or cruel. Her arrogance was a downfall. So was her ego. Just as much as the bitterness, resentment and insecurity that created seeds of regret in her heart that never stopped blooming. She shrugged. To her, it was the kindest insult someone could tell her. Calling her weak on the other hand… that was a different story.

“I want children.” Luella said this immediately, hesitation nowhere to be seen. Even with the look she gave to Samara she was quite determined. She had never spoken much of her future plans, and she had given a brief explanation to what had happened to her family and the downfall it had from being a respectable house of duanann. But considering she wanted to revive it, she’d need many, many heirs. At least 6. And then somehow force them to have 2 children each and that would be a good start at revival. “And I suppose I can be married if my partner took my last name and swore allegiance not only to me but the House of Balsinde.” Oh, how romantic. Not.

“And yourself? You actually date unlike me. You must want to get married. And black shucks are supposed to have children, are they not?”

Samara Khalid

"Your personality is not shit, Luella. You just have," Samara paused searching for the right word to describe her friend. "a unique personality. You are kind when you want to be, you are honest - not that you can lie but you know what I mean," she chuckled and took a drink. "You are an asshole, don't get me wrong, but so am I. You are a loveable asshole though." She smiled at Lue with sincerity.

Samara just shook her head at Luella's revelation that if she married it would be a business transaction. Of course it would. Samara expected nothing less from Lue. Her next question caught her off-guard though. "One, I hardly date. It has been about five hundred years since I dated anyone." Having sex with someone was not the same as dating. This hike with Raphael - if it was a date - would be her first date in a long time.

"I have thought about marriage, but that would require a man I actually love. I don't see that happening," she laughed and took a drink. The wine was good and she was trying to not drink it all in one gulp. "I...don't know about children. I have never been around them and I am pretty sure I would be a terrible mother." She sighed, "but yes, I am expected to produce some offspring like a good little female Shuck." She growled.

Luella Balsinde

Luella raised a brow at Samara. “Fine, you fuck the same person more than once.” Luella wouldn’t mind correcting the statement, even if it meant that since she was Samara’s opposite, she was the on darker side of the coin and thus more heartless.

I can see you getting married. Before I even get serious with a single person. Do I get the maid of honor title?” Luella teased. It was true, if either of them were to get in a relationship first, Luella would put her right kidney and liver on the line that it was Samara. For falling in love first and getting married? Samara. For having children first? Samara.

You can love someone. Perhaps you should stop going after the tall, dark and handsome type.” Really she meant people other than Vaer and Baenon, but she wasn’t saying to head towards anything near the likes of Cas. So then what would be the perfect fit for Samara? Luella’s brows furrowed in thought. “Maybe someone… who’s smart but their identity doesn’t reside solely on that. And maybe they’re compassionate like you… like they like to grow… flowers or something.” Luella sighed, and took a sip of her wine. “Never mind, they sound boring. Don’t listen to me.

You could lose some weight and stop getting your monthly cycle,” Luella proffered, and shrugged. The last few centuries she had grown irregular since she began focusing on strength, forgetting the time when she was soft. It was annoying to say the least to wake up and find her sheets ruined, but at least it was only twice a year. “And I’d offer to babysit but you know I’m not a dog person… although I guess shucks are less dumb than some of the cwn annwns we have walking around here in Autumn Court.”

Samara Khalid

"I was actually thinking Cas would make a beautiful maid of honor," Samara laughed out and then double over laughing at the unamused look on Luella's face. "Of course, you would be my maid of honor." Samara took a drink of wine and contemplated her friends words.

"I cannot help that I have a type. They are just so pretty." She thought Raphael with another smile. He fell into the same tall, dark and handsome as the others but he was different than them. She just felt it even though she didn't know him that well yet.

"Let's just say that I do not plan to marry or have children anytime soon. Any...time...soon." She drew out the last words to emphasize their meaning. "How long before the cake is done? I am already starting to smell it and I want to dig in!"

Luella Balsinde

Luella scowled immediately, Cas the maid of honor? She wanted to object, taking the joke far too seriously before Samara pointed out it was just a joke. She wasn’t sure why she bristled so much at the comment but perhaps that was because despite not liking to admitting such a thing, Cas might be a more fair maid of honor than Luella. He just had the gentle, soft look to him that Luella had to leave behind. Luella shrugged, everyone had their type, except for maybe herself.

Well it wouldn’t make sense to marry or have children now,” Luella concluded before going to check out the cake in the oven, opening the door and peering inside. It looked almost… done? Maybe? Perhaps? When Luella turned her head away from the oven, she was making a face, going to grab a wooden skewer and then using it to poke the center of the cake. When she pulled it out, there was nothing wet on it. Had it cooked so soon? With a shrug, Luella put on mits and pulled out the cake.

Do you want it with or without some sort of frosting? I can whip one fairly quickly while this cools.” Luella offered to her friend.

Samara Khalid