Private Tales The Grandmaster and the Guard.

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Maxine Steelborne

Grand Master of The Steel Legion
Character Biography
Link
Maxine had seen better days. She was tired. It was more than just the wear of the weight of her role, but her health had taken a turn since making a deal with that dragon.

She had a few rapped in need of repair so she decided to take a break and lug a few of the larger weapons to the smith. Grunt work to be sure but it was always nice to stretch her legs and though her title was lofty she was never above it.

For that matter it wasn’t as if a lot of the repairs were beyond her. She simply didn’t have time. Dressed casually she didn’t bring much notice besides the odd

“Hello Grandmaster.”

“Good to see you out and about!” To which she would respond with a smile or warm nod. Carrying two broad swords with strange cable running to metal sheathes that looked to hold tubes. Maxine carried them easily.

And in her other hand she gripped the handle of a massive repeating crossbow. It looked as if the bolts could be the size of a small javelin and was held with both hands. Runes and thick spikes were set into the front of the nasty looking weapon like the tusks of a beast long gone to the ages.

She pushed open the door to the shop entrance with her foot. The smith smiled when he saw her enter. “Ah my friend! Brought more work for me have yah?” He said gleefully as Maxine gave him a rueful grin placing the weaponry on his solid oak counter. “You know I have you ash covered mutt.” She said with a playful smirk.

“No one else knows how to work on this old legion weaponry but you.”
“Not many alive that even remember it let alone be young enough to still swing a hammer. Lucky my pa got out when he did. The older man said.

“It was a good time then..Greed ends all..” Maxine lamented the smithy nodded silently before slapping his hands together. “The usual rate of course.” He would say as he began putting the weapons in the back cage. Maxine nodded dropping a pouch of gold onto the counter.

“Gotta get a few things from Voltar. It’ll have to be delivered but I know a good courier service. Should be done by weeks end. Give or take a couple of days.” He said taking the coin.

“Mind watching the front while I lock this in the strong box?” He asked. Maxine nodded with a smile and a shrug shooing him away and turned to take a look at the shop as the man busied himself with putting away the coin.

• Yay
Reactions: Abrielle Huxley
Abrielle strode down the central road that ran through what remained of Elbion's merchant district. The few shops remaining shops she had been into had only sold staffs, wands, spell books - typical mage crap. "Isn't there anywhere in this god forsaken city that just sells good old-fashioned weaponry?" Abrielle muttered to herself in frustration.

She felt useless. A weaponless soldier without a cause. After fleeing Vel Anir Abrielle had made her way to Elbion but didn't have a clue what she was going to do next. She adjusted the sword strapped to her waist. She guessed she wasn't truly weaponless. It was just that a sword didn't feel...right in her hands.

The last shop on the street. This one seemed to hold some promise as the sign hanging above the door was shaped like a sword and shield.

Abrielle pushed open the door and her eyes immediately gleamed as she saw racks of metal weaponry lining the walls. Finally! A shop that wasn't for magic nerds! She quickly made her way over to the closest rack and pulled out a small axe. Abrielle was grinning like a kid in a candy store as she swung the weapon around, chopping up invisible enemies. Still the axe didn't feel right in her hands.

A silvery glint caught her eye from the opposite wall. Abrielle gasped in surprise and joy as she saw it was a spear. She ran over to grab it nearly knocking over several weapon racks on her way by.

A brief flash of disappointment crossed her face as she realized that it was way too big for her. Despite its size it was light - much lighter than any spear she had used before. The head was made out of some kind of silvery metal, whether it was steel or some other metal, Abrielle didn't know. A ring of strange characters appeared to be engraved around the base of the spearhead which was attached to a long sturdy piece of wood.

The grin on Abrielle's face grew even bigger as she held the spear in her hands. Now this felt right! She got into a ready position before rapidly jabbing the spear forward in a blur of strikes. Spinning on her toes, she swung the spear in a sweeping motion as if she was trying to knock someone off their feet before the butt of the spear flashed upwards aiming for the face of her invisible opponent.

Unfortunately, Abrielle had forgotten that the spear was longer than she was used to, and the front end went careening into a weapon rack and tipping it over. "Damn it!" she grumbled as she picked up the spilled weapons.

She noticed a tall raven haired woman standing near a counter near the back of the store. Abrielle picked up the spear and went over to her. "Excuse me, is this your shop?" she inquired of the tall woman.​

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Maxine Steelborne
Maxine watched the girl as she selected a spear.

She hadn’t been watching out of interest. In all honesty by the way the girl looked she was watching her to make sure she didn’t steal anything. She looked desperate...

and angry..

Then Maxine saw the way she weirded a spear. She had some good roots.. Maxine watched silently as she knocked over the weapons..Maybe a bit rough around the edges..

But every gorgeous sword was once a jagged lumpy piece of ore. She had been there as well. Not until she was shaped by the legion did she truly find herself.

“Nay. That hapless title falls to the old man out back.” She said jerking a thumb over her shoulder. “Wouldn’t matter anyway. You’ve got no coin.” She said eyeing Abrielles lack of purse or coin pouch. It had clearly been cut away with a knife. A small note stuck to the cut strip of leather read. “Thank you for your kind contribution love! Do write me!” Xoxo- Ferelith.”

“Which means you can’t have that.” She said pointing to the spear. “And you look like a hard workin lass so I’ll stop you before you can ask. The owners got helpers out the arse at the moment. He’ll have no work.”

Her eyes were serious but not uncaring. “You could do some free lance but with the city gone to hell over the past few weeks the bandit and monster problems have only gotten worse. Your not in a guild so You’ll be getting paid half the fare for twice the danger.” Maxine placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. She looked hungry and tired. Maxines heart bled for people like this.

Strong.

Aggressive and just wanting to find something to build towards. But her gaze remained hard. The hand on her shoulder tightening its grip.

“I’d give you about a third of the way to paying for this before you die.” With her point made her eyes softened. The grip loosened and she gave the shoulder a pat before releasing it. “That’s where I can help.” She said with a grin

“Let’s say I buy you this spear. You help me with a job and if you live to help me complete it...You can keep it.” Maxine said with a shrug. “I need the help anyway. And if your little preformance was anything to go by you’ll be of help.” She said crossing her arms.

“So what’ll it be? And mind you if someone comes in here and wants that spear it’s there’s til the old man sees coin from you.” Maxine said with a shrug

• Yay
The woman was sharp. She had seen right through Abrielle and understood the situation she was in.

Abrielle hadn't even noticed her coin purse was missing. "F#%$ing bitch!" She cursed quietly under her breath. If she ever came across that damn Ferelith again, she swore she was going to...

A gentle pat on her shoulder interrupted her internal tirade.

“Let’s say I buy you this spear. You help me with a job and if you live to help me complete it...You can keep it.” Maxine said with a shrug. “I need the help anyway. And if your little preformance was anything to go by you’ll be of help.” She said crossing her arms.

“So what’ll it be? And mind you if someone comes in here and wants that spear it’s there’s til the old man sees coin from you.” Maxine said with a shrug

Abrielle perked up at the offer, a grin returning to her face. She had an opportunity for a new weapon and a temporary purpose.

"Really?! Thank you!" Abrielle said excitedly. "So what's the job? Oh. And I'm Abrielle by the way." She said holding out her hand.

Last edited:
  • Yay
“Glad to hear the enthusiasm.” Maxine said with a smirk at how she perked up. Looking for a purpose too. Good. She gave the girls shoulder another pat and ruffled her hair. “Glad to meet you Abrielle. I’m Maxine Steelborne.” She said taking the hand offered warmly.

“We can discuss details later. Right now you look like you could use some food and drink, and you smell like you could use a bath along with your clothes. I have a place in mind if you don’t mind staying a night. My family is most accommodating.” She said Adding a second pouch on the counter the old man came to the front.

“Ah. New member of the legion is she? I didn’t see her come in with you..” The old man said quizzically. “Probationary.” Maxine said with a shrug.

“Add this to the sale.” She said gesturing to the spear and to the extra gold she had placed on the counter.

“Very well. See you next week.” He said with a grin. “Hurry up now young one I have places to be and no time for gawkers. Your first job will be to help me finish my errands. And tell me a bit about yourself.” She said before turning and leaving.

Not waiting to see if Abrielle could catch up. She was a hard, cold woman. But she also gave off a feeling of deep caring, altruistic fairness and true warmth underneath. Abrielle had already glimpsed it when she offered to help her. But they were in public now.

The walls came back up.

She had to be strong like this.

A true leader.

• Yay
"Glad to hear the enthusiasm.” Maxine said with a smirk at how she perked up. Looking for a purpose too. Good. She gave the girls shoulder another pat and ruffled her hair. “Glad to meet you Abrielle. I’m Maxine Steelborne.” She said taking the hand offered warmly.

“We can discuss details later. Right now you look like you could use some food and drink, and you smell like you could use a bath along with your clothes. I have a place in mind if you don’t mind staying a night. My family is most accommodating.” She said Adding a second pouch on the counter the old man came to the front.

Abrielle was slightly taken aback. This woman who had seemed cold and distant at first, was acting almost motherly even though they had just met. "Yes! Thank you very much!" Abrielle blurted out. The other woman's coldness reappeared as the shopkeeper returned from the back. After a brief exchange Maxine was ready to leave.
“Hurry up now young one I have places to be and no time for gawkers. Your first job will be to help me finish my errands. And tell me a bit about yourself.” She said before turning and leaving.

Abrielle grabbed the spear, holding on to it for dear life and hurried out the door after Maxine. "Tell her about myself? What does she want to know?" she thought.

"Um... Well... I was born and raised in Vel Anir. Joined the Guard shortly after my eighteenth birthday. Did that for about a year." Abrielle chose her next words carefully. She didn't want Maxine to think she was a deserter. "A couple nights ago, I failed to apprehend a thief, pissed off some pretty powerful people and had to flee the city. And now here I am in Elbion."

She followed Maxine in silence for a bit, hoping she wasn't being silently judged for her actions over the past few days. There was one thing that was still nagging at the back of her mind. "Hey, umm... Ms. Steelborne? What did the shopkeeper mean when he asked if I was a new member of the legion?"

Last edited:
She noticed hesitation and gave her a half smile. “How about start with where your from and go from there eh?” Maxine listened as she walked calmly through the crowds that seemed to part before her by a force of sheer will. “Vel Anir is a treacherous place. Many social pitfalls leave it not a place to tread with heavy feet.” She lamented, but prying did not appear to be something she did. It wasn’t because she was fooled. One didn’t cause trouble in Vel Anir and walk away.

Some one would come for her.

Maxine just didn’t care.
“Ah. Here we are.” Maxine said ignoring Abrielle’s last question as she stopped outside one of the staff shops Abrielle had been in previously.

“Grandmaster Maxine.” The owner said with a slight snark in her tone. A blonde mage gracefully dressed in a delicate brute dress and robe.

“I can’t in good faith endorse the use of these. This weaponry is from an age an elf would be lucky to remember. I did what I could but..” She fell off as Maxine simply gestured for her to go.

“I knew you wouldn’t listen. I won’t be surprised when this goes off and kills someone.” She said with a shrug going to the back for a moment before returing with metal frames.

Carrying 4 magic staffs a handle was mounted to the top with a crossbow trigger rigged to the frame. It was obviously a two handed weapon but Maxine carried one in each hand easily. “Thank you for your business.”

The mage muttered as Maxine turned and walked to the door with little more than a nod. Soon they were back on the street.

Maxine sighed. “Now we should get home. Get you fed and talk about the job.” She said with a slight roll of her shoulders. The metal frames were thick and meant to with stand a large amount of heat.

“So. You were a guard correct?” She asked casually as they waded through the rabble once more. “Why did you join up?” She said keeping her casual tone neutral. No judgement was not something she used like a weapon.

• Yay
"Yes, I was." Abrielle responded to Maxine. "I joined because my whole life growing up I heard horror stories of the battles between Vel Anir and the elves. I wanted to be able to protect myself and others from any attacks against the city."

"After finishing basic training, I was assigned to the Eastern Army. Slowly I began to see the corruption, and the greed and the backstabbing that was spread throughout the city. I had joined to protect people, but it seemed like people were only in it for personal gain."

"Honestly my temper had gotten me into trouble more times that I can count, so I was going to leave after my time was up anyway."

Abrielle walked on in silence for a while. "So... This family of yours. Is it a big family? A small one? Or what? Either way I hope they won't mind me joining them for a few days."

“Again Vel Anir is a rusty bucket of a justice system. Weak and full of holes.” Maxine said nodding to Abrielles thoughts. A temper of righteous indignation is something to be celebrated. Not quelled. I’m glad to hear it.” She continued as they came to what was left of a guild hall.

“And as for my family. I doubt they will mind you.” She said halting at what had once been quite an obviously nice building that had faired better than most considering it was still standing and habitable. It’s appearance spoke of marred beauty and better days in past. A dragon and wolf encircled a shield and sword on the door. Maxine gave it a light tap.

The gate swung open quickly and two heavily armored guards came with weapons drawn only to pause and switch to a salute. “Grand master.” They said in unison. “At ease.” Maxine said with a wave. “I need this one cleansed, blessed, and medically examined. Tell the head healer.” She said jerking her thumb to Abrielle. Inside there was many things happening.

Soilders moved around in the large thick armor suits. Insulated capsules on their backs seemed to have a single thick metal wire running up and down across the arms and legs. Runes glowed an electric blue as they moved. Some carried swords like the ones Maxine had brought to the weapon smith earlier.

They hummed the same electric blue as the runes on the armor and had a thick wire running to a second capsule next to the first. In a small area on the other side a few people were in casual uniforms fighting hand to hand.

“Punch him in the nose Adeline!” “Don’t take that from a sister Henry! Knee lock off that take down!” Further down seemed to be the testing and ranged weapon training range where a couple of people were shooting the heavy crossbow Maxine carried. The massive bolts fired lightening quick as the knight handled the lever that seemed to load and fire it smoothly. Further down there was a few people that were more “intelligent.” Looking types surrounding one soldier that had the second weapon Maxine had grabbed from the staff salesmage.

“Alright engage it now.” One of the people said pulling out their scrolls. The soldier nodded and pulled the crossbow handle triggers. All four staffs lit up at once. Fire shooting from their ends in a jet of inferno. The flame continued for a few solid moments before the flame spluttered. The staffs, cracked, dry and drained of energy.

“Huh. Sustained longer than last time.” One of the females piped up checking off something on her scroll. “And no magical energy discharge also a-.” Another began as suddenly the blackened staffs began to glow. “Oh shit!” The heavy soilder yelled before the weapon exploded sending him backwards skidding to a halt infront of Maxine his armor scared with a black blast mark.

“Scratch that..” The woman said with a sigh scratching something off. Maxine helped the man to his feet. “Steady on there brother Michael.” She said reaching down to offer him a hand to help him up with a smirk as he pulled of his still smoking helmet. “Thank you grand master.” he said with a nod before pulling his helmet back on and allowing her to help him up in that thick metal suit that must have weighted a large amount Maxine seemed to have no trouble as she pulled him to his feet and he clonking back over to the group of mages.

“Go report to the infirmary. Get a check up, a bath, and out of those filthy clothes. Melaniphi should be along to see you.” Maxine turned to the young woman calmly but her tone held something in it that commanded absolute respect and immediate obedience.

“You will leave your opinions at the door with members of my family. You are a guest here and you will be respectful. That doesn’t mean nice, or you have to like it. But it will be done. Our healers are well liked, gentle spirited, and fiercely protected. I will see nothing brought against them from past prejudice.” She finished before directing Abrielle where she should go.

“Go report to the infirmary. Get a check up, a bath, and out of those filthy clothes. Melaniphi should be along to see you.” Maxine turned to the young woman calmly but her tone held something in it that commanded absolute respect and immediate obedience.

“You will leave your opinions at the door with members of my family. You are a guest here and you will be respectful. That doesn’t mean nice, or you have to like it. But it will be done. Our healers are well liked, gentle spirited, and fiercely protected. I will see nothing brought against them from past prejudice.”​
"Yes Ma'am, I understand." Abrielle said as Maxine called over a woman to show her the way to the infirmary. The woman looked to be around Abrielle's age, but she was much taller - almost as tall as Maxine. Her light brown hair was arranged in a loose braid that reached nearly down to her belt.

Abrielle subconsciously touched the back of her head where a braid would be. She thought back to when she had long hair as a child and how much she had loved having longer hair. But with her tendency to get into fights, long hair had gotten in the way and was really just an inconvenience. Now that she was older, Abrielle loved having her hair shorter, but secretly was a tad jealous of the women who had long hair.

"This way, sister" the woman said motioning for Abrielle to follow her. "I'm Iris by the way."
"Abrielle" Abrielle mumbled looking around at what was going on around her.

"Sister?" Abrielle thought to herself. She wasn't related to this woman. And it wasn't like she was a member of this "family" either. Abrielle decided that must just be Iris' way of addressing other people and didn't give the matter anymore thought.

The pair came to the bathing area and Iris sent Abrielle in to get undressed. She returned shortly with a worn towel, undergarments, and a lavender colored nightshirt. "There you are!" Iris said, placing the towel and clothes on a nearby chair. "I'll have Melaniphi come fetch you in a bit, and she'll show you the way to the infirmary." Abrielle nodded. "Thank you" she said as Iris made her way to the door.

Abrielle slowly lowered herself into the bath. She laid in the tub with her eyes closed, letting the water wash away the stress and dirt from the past couple days. As the water began to cool off, she begrudgingly washed herself.

A gentle knock sounded at the door. "Excuse me? Abrielle?" a female voice said. Abrielle sighed with aggravation. "What do y-" she began to snap, before she remembered Maxine's warning. "Ugh, just a moment." She climbed out of the tub and dried off. After getting dressed she opened the door.

The bright excited face of an elf greeted her as the door swung open. Abrielle's body instinctually tensed, getting ready for a fight. "Come on! This way!" the elf said grabbing Abrielle's hand and pulling her down the hallway. Abrielle had half a mind to yank her hand away and tackle the elf, but Maxine's waring drifted across her mind again. Another sigh of aggravation escaped from Abrielle.

As they passed more rooms of armored people, Abrielle began to see them for what they really were. A private military organization. She had seen her fair share of them in Vel Anir but hadn't expected to see one in a city like Elbion.

"Here we are!" the elf said excitedly, pushing open a door and guiding Abrielle to a nearby bed. Abrielle didn't know what to make of the elf, but she was going to try not to let her prejudices cause trouble.​

Last edited:
“I’m just going to run a few spells and just make sure you haven’t picked up anything while you were out.” She beamed snapping her fingers as a ball of light burst into being. Flashing blue before slowly circling the seated woman. “Check for traces of that stomach bug that’s been going around as well.” She said as the orb blinked white twice before continuing its slow circling

“It’s always nice to see a new face! I’m Melaniphi by the way. Healer second class! But you can call me Melani everyone does.” She smirked.

“What’s your name?” She said touching her fingers to Abrielles neck and then her wrist. “Pulse feels fine.” She muttered to herself snapping her fingers as a scroll unrolled and a quill wrote down a few things while she listened to Abrielle.

"I-I'm Abrielle," Abrielle said cautiously as the ball of light continued to drift around her. She was going to be careful about what she said - you never knew what those sneaky pointy eared creatures were up to. This one in particular seemed alright, but Abrielle didn't want to take any chances.

"I'm from Vel Anir. Just a soldier, no special rank or anything like that. It's nice to meet you, I guess." Abrielle did her best to keep an eye on Melani and her ball of light as she spoke, ready to jump up and run or fight at any sign of danger.

"Don't know why Ms. Steelborne wanted me to get checked out. I'm not sick or injured. If anything I'm just tired from my journey the past couple days."

Abrielle sat in silence for a bit, as Melani continued her examination. "So...Umm... How did you come to be a part of this family?" Abrielle asked the elf.​

Melani listened intently. She genuinely cared for people and therefore genuinely cared to hear what they had to say. “Vel Anir?” She looked up puzzled. “I never would have guessed.” She continued resuming her examination. “Seems like you wouldn’t like me too much if that was the case. Being an elf and all.” She said with a casual smile.

“She makes everyone new get checked out, better to make sure nothings amiss. Private Miller had a tumor the size of a chicken egg on his back when he first came in.” She recollected as her glasses slid down her nose.

“Would have never known it was dangerous if I hadn’t checked him out. Not saying you have anything growing on you...But we like to keep things uniform around here.” She chirped sliding her glasses back to their proper place.

“But as to your other question. I was a student at the Elbion college. I got recruited as a combat medic after my first year...” She drifted off.

Her smile faded.

Her mind so rarely went to those days.

Dark times..

She noticed she had paused in her conversation and quickly snapped from her daze.

“After..Well after some time there I realized I wasn’t cut out for it. I returned to the college to resume my studies..”

Darker times..

The blade of a knife begging to end her sorrow with the simple slit of the wrists..

She blinked. “But a recruiter for the legion found me and convinced me to take up the fight once more. It took some encouragement but I’m glad I chose what I did.” Her smile returned.

“Because this place would fall apart if it wasn’t for me. The people too now that I think about it..” She said with a snort that morphed into a bubbling giggle. “Melaniphi!” A man burst in. Clearly another member of this “Family.” Melaniphi had called “The Legion.”

“Ah speak of the devil. Pvt. Miller!” She said with a greeting of absolute sunshine.

“A heavy armor suit twisted Kellens arm around. The shoulder just kept spinning! Her shoulder blade is-.” “I understand I told Mencha that would happen again if she didn’t fix the limiting runes..” Melani said with a good natured sigh.

“I’ll be right there!” She said. “Sorry I need to leave. Pleasure to meet you Abrielle of Vel-Anir.” She said with a wave before rushing to follow the man out. The ball of light seemed to look from the door to Abrielle before blinking once as an almost farewell and disappeared.

“Odd one isn’t she?” Iris poked her head in. “Covers her pain well. I would have never known if someone hadn’t told me she was the Bloodfall survivor.” She grinned.

“You remember don’t you? That mercenary force a noble hired to clear out Orcs. Bunch of under paid ninnies got themselves slaughtered by an ambush. You’d think she would have been the first to go with how loud she is..” She smirked. Her eyes slightly darkening at the grim humor.

Abrielle was shocked as she listened to Melani. She had expected to hear a story about how Melani was elven spy and had infiltrated the "Legion" to take it down from within. But her tale was darker and sadder than what Abrielle had imagined. She felt a twinge of guilt for thinking such bad things about the elf, as Melani was pulled out of the room.

“Odd one isn’t she?” Iris poked her head in. “Covers her pain well. I would have never known if someone hadn’t told me she was the Bloodfall survivor.” She grinned.

“You remember don’t you? That mercenary force a noble hired to clear out Orcs. Bunch of under paid ninnies got themselves slaughtered by an ambush. You’d think she would have been the first to go with how loud she is..” She smirked. Her eyes slightly darkening at the grim humor.

Abrielle nodded. She had heard all about how a greedy land grabbing noble hired a bunch of "soldiers" to take care of some orcs. Although Abrielle was curious about how somebody like Melani survived such a one sided fight, she decided not to pry.

"Alright, sister. The Grand Master asked me to bring you to meet her in the dining hall. Come Along!" There it was again - sister. She followed Iris as she was lead down a hall and out side. They followed a rough cobbled path to a nearby building. As they entered Iris pointed towards the table Maxine was sitting at, and then excused herself.

Maxine motioned for her to take a seat across from her. Abrielle's eyes gleamed as she saw the steaming plate food laid out in front of her. Without hesitation she dove in and began wolfing down the food as quickly as she could get it into her mouth.

It took the sound of Maxine clearing her throat for her to remember why she was really there. Abrielle hastily finished the food she had in her mouth and set down her fork.

"S-Sorry, Ms. Steelborne... Um... What did you want to speak to me about?" she asked sheepishly.

Last edited:
Watching her eat Maxine chuckled before seeming to realize the woman was not slowing down. Allowing it for a few more moments before she called attention to herself with a pointed cough.

“What do you think of the place? My brothers and sisters say you have been most agreeable.” She said simply. Again ignoring her question. It didn’t feel disrespectful. More like she was getting to it. It would be addressed, but in her own way. “And Melaniphi seems to like you that never goes detracts from you..” She said tenting her hands.

• Yay
"Its a very busy place. It kinda reminds me of the Guard, but much more closely knit." Abrielle said between bites. "Everybody has been extremely friendly and helpful. 'Specially Miss Iris. I'm very glad to hear that everybody has found me agreeable. Tried to keep what you said in mind as I was getting taken care of."

“And Melaniphi seems to like you that never goes detracts from you..” She said tenting her hands.

Abrielle paused as Maxine said this. Remembering the initial reaction she had to Melani caused her to wince a bit. She chose her next words carefully so as not to offend Maxine. "Yes, Melaniphi did really seem to take a liking to me. With her being an elf, I was very nervous when I first met her, but she did make me feel like I was safe and had no reason to fear her." Abrielle hoped her statements about Melani didn't come off the wrong way.

"I can tell Melani is very kind and caring to a fault, but she also seems very... excitable." Abrielle tried to find the nicest way to describe the impression she had gotten of the elf.

Abrielle set down her fork having finished her food. "I thank you and your family for your hospitality and generosity. I didn't really have any idea what I was going to do before I met you."

“We offer guidance, and a chance to have a group of fighters that understand what it means to be brothers and sisters in arms. This is our way.” Maxine said in response.

“I asked you here with a task for you, but I think a better question should be asked before that.” She stood and offered Abrielle her hand. “Would you like to join us?” She asked. “It’s sudden, but you said yourself you didn’t know what you were going to do.” She said with a small grin. “This is no small question. I do not expect a quick answer. Training will be difficult, the legion is not a guard or army. We train for combat in both squads and lone engagements. From an assassin, to a scout, to a front line soldier you will be able to fill almost every role in a squad or take any job offered to you.” Maxine explained. Her hand remained.

“But I think you have the stuff kid.” She said with a wink.

Abrielle couldn't believe what she was hearing. Maxine wanted her to join this "family" of hers!? This was the last thing she had expected to hear that night.

It’s sudden, but you said yourself you didn’t know what you were going to do.” She said with a small grin. “This is no small question. I do not expect a quick answer. Training will be difficult, the legion is not a guard or army. We train for combat in both squads and lone engagements. From an assassin, to a scout, to a front line soldier you will be able to fill almost every role in a squad or take any job offered to you.”

“But I think you have the stuff kid.” She said with a wink.

She didn't know what to think. This organization was nothing like the guard. Everybody had been so friendly and helpful instead of just looking out for themselves. And additional training was always a good thing. She had only received the bare minimum of the Guard's training before she was assigned to the Eastern Army.

Abrielle hesitated briefly. She had said that she had no idea where she was going or what she was going to do. Grabbing Maxine's hand she shook it vigorously.

"I would be honored to join!" She said excitedly, a large grin on her face. "Thank you!" Finally she had found a new home and a new purpose.

"I hope my first task as part of this family won't be too difficult!" Abrielle said. "But I'll do my best whatever it is!"

Last edited:
  • Yay
“Wonderful.” Maxine said returning the shake vigorously. Her hand was like an iron clamp. “I’ll need to have you marked and sworn in. Shouldn’t take too long. We can do that in the morning.” Maxine clarified. “I Wanted to make you part of the family before sending you out.” Maxine admitted.

“Not that we don’t like outsiders...They just...don’t matter as much to us..” She said matter of factly. Chances are they would leave you to yourself and get you killed. It is not ideal but now that your a sister in their family each would give their life for you without even knowing your name. All they ask is that you do the same.” She said.

“What I can give you as far as officially is your dormitory assignment, your equipment number, and your bathhouse assignment.”She said handing her a necklace with three small steel squares hanging from the leather.

“You’ll be able to bathe and redress when needed. You’ll be reporting for training first thing in the morning. If you still decide you like it..We will have you marked.” Maxine said pulling up her right and left sleeves showing off her own tattoos.

At the top of her right shoulder was an emblem that represented her rank. Black bands ran down from there symbolizing years of service. Oh her left, tally marks, along with the name of her first unit commander and her first unit. They were simple, but very carefully done. Every bit was perfect in its own way rather than some sweeping tapestry of ink.

It served a purpose.

A commander knew what yourself and what you were, who trained you, and where you came from with a single glance and without even having to ask your name. It was a system that while tedious had served the legion well even after the fall.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Abrielle wasn't sure what she was getting into, but the calm confidence she had felt from Maxine was enough to convince her she wasn't going to regret her decision to join. She took the offered necklace and tied it around her neck.

“You’ll be able to bathe and redress when needed. You’ll be reporting for training first thing in the morning. If you still decide you like it..We will have you marked.” Maxine said pulling up her right and left sleeves showing off her own tattoos.
Abrielle grabbed her upper right arm and winced. Getting marked like that seemed painful, but she nodded understanding the importance and meaning behind it.

"Thank you Ms. Steelborne" Oops. She had forgotten one of the most basic rules from her days with the Guard - Always address a superior by rank not name. Uhh... what had the guards at the gate called her again? Oh. Right. "Umm... I mean thank you Grand Master." If she was really going to be part of this "family", she needed to start acting like it.

A nearby door opened drawing their attention as Iris stepped through. "Umm...Pardon the interruption, but I can take you to your room when you're ready." Abrielle glanced over at Maxine who gave a barely noticeable nod. Looking back at Iris Abrielle politely said "Thank you. I believe I'm ready to turn in for the night." She followed Iris through the hallways to her room. As soon as her guide left, she got into bed and pulled the covers over her head until only her face was visible, falling asleep almost immediately.

A loud pounding at the door jolted her awake. Abrielle rolled over hiding under the blankets grumbling to herself. "What do they want?! Its not even light out yet!"

"Huxley! You're late! Muster was over an hour ago! Get moving! NOW!" a loud male voice boomed from the other side of the door.

Abrielle jumped out of bed and ran over to the door. Throwing it open she saw a large burly man who appeared to be a bit younger than Maxine standing there. Every fiber of her being was ready with an angry retort but she pushed all that down. She was already late and the last thing she needed was to get into more trouble on her first day. "Yes sir! Sorry Sir! I'll be right there!" Abrielle said hurriedly, quickly saluting before slamming the door shut.

She rushed to get dressed and met the man at the door. Abrielle followed him down to the dining room where she quickly found an empty seat with her newfound comrades. "Units A, C, and any new recruits are to report to the training grounds in 10 minutes! That means you Huxley! The rest of you have your orders!" the burly man bellowed. Abrielle quickly got herself a plate of food and wolfed it down, before following the others outside to a large open field.

The sun was just barely rising as they began running laps around the field. This was followed by various combat drills until it was time to break for lunch. By this time Abrielle was exhausted. There had never been any exercises this intense when she was with the guard. After they reconvened, they spent the rest of the day until dusk sparring in the heavy metal suits of armor she had seen others wearing the day before. Every part of her ached as she sat on the ground and tried in vain to wrestle off the heavy armor. She noticed Maxine making her way towards her and gave up, deciding to make another attempt to remove the armor later.

Abrielle groaned and allowed the weight of the armor to drag her backwards into a laying position, arms spread out wide to the sides. She laid in the dim light of the evening, waiting for her new boss to arrive.

Last edited:
  • Yay
“Look at you. So tired already?” Maxine said leaning over her with a good natured grin.

“Mencha showed you how to get out of these I thought.” She said grabbing Abrielle by the armors collars and lifting her to her feet.

Her thumb activating a release rune that released various hinges in the back. Releasing the armor and catching Abrielle by the hand before she fell out of the back. Lowering her back to her ground.

“You’ve been doing well. We have a sparring session. It’s a chance to call people out and settle any disagreements. We hold it at the end of every training day to quash any bad blood the day of...” Maxine explained. “Also it’s held at the end of the day so your all tired and can’t beat eachother too badly. Maybe you fight. Maybe not. No one is excused. Even I could be called if a quarrel is had with me.” Maxine continued with a grin.

“Thankfully no one ever seems to disagree. Lucky thing that..” She said with a wink. Her tone was deadly serious however even if her demeanor was friendly. “So take a five and hit the ring. Then it’s dinner time.” Maxine said turning and walking away with a wave.

“Huxley!” Sgt. Mencha walked up seeing her laying down. She was...Well..She was something. While looking like a normal girl in her late teens for the most part a set of almost dragon like horns sprouted from her forehead and poked out of her long shock of red hair. When she exhaled at times smoke would come out particularly when she was pleased with something.

Her eyes had a yellowish tint to their whites. Patches of her hair were blackened and burned in random spots her uniform slick with grease and splotched with random other substances.

“Get your butt up and back into that armor and hustle it to its stall. I’ll detach and stow it for you so don’t worry. Just come by after dinner so I can show you how. You look hungry and tired.” She said with a sigh, but a grin played at her lips.

“But it’ll be quick and easy I promise. It won’t hold you from your bed more than a few minutes.” She said offering a hand to help her up. Her hands would be very warm to the touch, just barely under uncomfortable. Almost, but not quiet. Seemingly aware of this she would quickly help her to her feet before releasing her.

“I’m The armory Sargent. I keep the armor and the lightening ether swords running. Half black smith, half rune mage....” She glanced about ensuring they were alone before whispering “All bad ass.” She said with a snort and chuckle.

Abrielle stood there for a minute before releasing a tired sigh, and making her way to the armor stalls. The sounds of a large crowd drew her out of the armory and to a roped off dirt area. "This must be the ring the Grand Master was talking about." she thought as she tied to find a place to stand in the crowd. Abrielle really hoped that she wouldn't be called out. She was exhausted and all she wanted to do was eat and go to bed.

The crowd parted and stood at attention as the large burly officer she had been training under entered the ring. Complete silence fell as he stood there slowly looking around at those gathered. "Any quarrels you have with each other will either be settled right here tonight or forgotten. Animosity between the brothers and sisters of the legion will not be tolerated. Now then, anybody have a score to settle?"

Murmurs spread through the crowd as they glanced at each other. Abrielle noticed a girl about her age staring at her from across the ring. She was a few inches taller than Abrielle with wavy shoulder length ash blond hair that covered half her face. Abrielle was shocked as the girl raised her hand, still staring directly at her. "I challenge the new girl. Because of her tardiness we had to run extra laps this morning. And she deliberately tried to trip me multiple times while we were running." The murmuring of the crowd grew louder. Abrielle guessed that people didn't get challenged regularly. The man in the center nodded. "Very well. Bennett, Huxley get in here."

Abrielle was stunned. "Wait.. What?.. No... I didn't trip..." she stammered as the crowd pushed her towards the ring. She reluctantly climbed over the rope to face her opponent who had a smirk on her face. "Alright! GO!" the man shouted before hastily making his way to the side of the ring.

"Wait! L-look! I'm sorry my being late caused us to have to run extra laps! But you must have me mistaken for somebody else! I never tried to trip you!" Abrielle tried to reason with her opponent, but her pleas fell on deaf ears. She continued trying to reason with Bennett as she did her best to dodge punches and kicks that were thrown at her. A swift kick knocked Abrielle's feet out from under her and she landed on he rear end with a thud. "Come on hun," Bennett sneered. "Do you really think the people here would take the word of the new girl over mine?" A kick to the side and Abrielle hunched forward gasping for air. "Aww, is the new girl not feeling up to fighting today? Poor baby!" More kicks followed until Abrielle lay flat on the ground and felt like she would never be able to breathe again.

Something in Abrielle snapped. It wasn't that the teasing had gotten to her. It was just that opponent was just so f&$#@ing annoying.

Abrielle caught her breath and slowly stood up, a look of extreme annoyance plastered across her face. At this point she didn't care that Bennett had made up a bullshit story about her. All she cared about was destroying this annoyance and getting on with her evening.

"Oh! It looks like the baby has decided to come out and play!" her opponent jeered. Abrielle's expression turned to one of intense concentration as Bennett resumed punching and kicking at her.

Abrielle's body moved almost instinctively as she ducked under a punch and grabbed Bennett's head slamming their heads together. Her opponent staggered backwards rubbing her head. Abrielle followed with two swift punches. One a feint towards Bennett's head while the other fist found its way into her stomach as her opponent tried to block her face. Abrielle sidestepped a wild punch and drove her elbow into the other girl's ribs. She felt her nose crunch as another flailing punch connected. Abrielle ignored her bloodied nose as Bennett regained her composure. They continued to trade blows until Bennett knocked Abrielle to the ground again. Abrielle let out an animalistic roar and charged forward knocking Bennett to the ground. She sat on her chest punching anywhere she could reach until Bennett pushed her off.

They wrestled around in the dirt until the large man pulled them apart. "ENOUGH! Your dispute has been settled. I expect to hear no more about this! Now. Shake hands an get to the mess hall!"

Abrielle reluctantly did as she was told, glaring at the other girl. "You're pretty feisty for such a small little thing" Bennett said. "Name's Evelyn hun, but most just call me Eve. Sorry for lying and calling you out like that. Honestly I just couldn't see what the Grand Master saw in you and wanted to test you myself. No hard feelings I hope."

Abrielle sighed with annoyance. "Look... I can see where you're coming from. If somebody new joined my family I would be uncertain about them too. But, yeah. No hard feelings I guess."

"Great!" Eve exclaimed, throwing her arm over Abrielle's shoulder. Lets go find a medic for your nose and then we can eat!"

"Now she's acting all chummy? What the hell is wrong with this girl?!" Abrielle wondered to herself.

• Popcorn
“What is wrong with both of you!” Melaniphi had died with shock at seeing the both of them entering her infirmary. She reset Abrielles nose and her healing aura flowed from her as her ball of light flitted between the two.

“Eve you should know better than to pick fights like that.” She said with a snip in her tone as she began dabbing their cuts and scrapes with cleaning solutions before healing them. Her hand held Abrielles cheek gently. Her hands were softer than the cotton she was dabbing their wounds with. A thumb brushing along it before she seemed to come to her senses and refocus on the task at hand.

“Your both fine now at any rate..Just don’t hurt eachother any more..Please?” She said with a sigh pushing her glasses back up her nose. “It’s a full time job keeping you people alive without having you attacking each other...” She grumbled. Eve rolled her eyes at the somewhat motherly worry Melani seemed to have. Not in a cruel way, but in a way of some one who frequently received it. She placed a hand on the healers shoulder. Melani blushed. Eve was quiet beautiful...

“It’s a tradition for a reason Mel. If-.” Eve began before Melaniphi blinked. Yes she was beautiful...and SHE knew it. She slapped the hand away indignantly.

“Oh no! Don’t you start that with me. I know how you are. I bet you made up your quarrel to begin with just as an excuse!” She said poking eve in the chest with every point obviously quiet frustrated with both of them. She huffed to her desk as she waved both of them off.

“Your not bleeding any more at any rate so be off to your meals. Try not to fight eachother on the way..” She said with another frustrated sigh. Eve nodded and grabbed Abrielle by the hand leading her out. “Great. Now we have to do something nice for her.” She said with chuckle.

"Hey! Wait!" Abrielle cried as she was yanked out of the infirmary by Eve. They had been fighting not a half hour before, but now this girl was treating Abrielle like they were best friends. And she was known for picking fights?

Abrielle grumbled under her breath the whole way to the dining hall. She tried to distance herself from Eve, and was more than a little aggravated when she plopped down in the seat directly across from her. Abrielle glared at the young woman across from her. "Aw... C'mon hun. Don't be like that" Eve said pretending to be hurt before grinning and winking at Abrielle. Her expression and tone took shifted to seriousness as she continued. "I want you to know that I really am sorry. Just wanted to test you. And you held your own so much better than expected you to. I can see why the Grand Master thinks you have potential. So let's just let bygones be bygones and try to get along hm?"

Abrielle sighed. "Fine. Whatever. Next time you want to fight just ask. No need to make up a fake reason. I'll gladly kick your ass without hesitation." Eve laughed. "That's the spirit!"

A young man walked over to them and saluted. "Huxley, Bennett, the grand master wants to see you in her office immediately." He saluted again and walked off. Abrielle and Eve looked at each other in confusion as they stood up and exited the mess hall.

Opening the office door, they were greeted by the sight of Maxine leaned back in her chair, arms and legs crossed. Abrielle wasn't too sure, but it appeared that the Grand Master was exceedingly displeased about something.

"U-Um... You wanted to see us Grand Master?" Eve said uncertainly

“You.” Her eyes narrowed. “You will salute when you approach and you will not speak again until I bid it from you. Luietenant Evelyn, how long have you been a spy.” She asked plainly.

A cold tone entering her voice Abrielle would have never heard before. Eve on the other hand had only been ever heard that tone once, and what occured after kept her up at night sometimes..When the other things didn’t of course..

“W-what!? Th-That’s not true! The Legion is everything to me!” She said as Maxine rose to her full height and approached with a cold glare slowly shaking her head. Evelyn for her part didn’t move or try to flee, but she looked very much like she wanted to. “I’m afraid we found all the evidence we need. Your sentence is death to be carried out on sight.” She pulled her sword from its sheathe and brought it down in a lighting fast motion. Eve flinched as the blade thudded into the stone next to her. Maxine knealt before her with a smirk.

“Gotcha.” She said bopping the girls nose with a light flick. “Doesn’t feel so nice to be falsely accused does it?” She continued the seriousness was still there, but that chilling cold tone was absent giving even this serious tone a bit of warmth simply from its absence. Her eyes no longer narrow.

“Dont do it again, if I find out the next strike is a finger. That will not be a joke.” She said ruffling Evelyn’s hair before standing. “Now that that’s out of the way. I need you two to take someone to the city’s prison in a couple of days. They’ll be here tonight. One night in our dungeon and then off to be the cities problem. Think you an handle that?”

• Sip