Open Chronicles The Forbidden City

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Harrier

The Necromancer
Character Biography
Link
"Go."

My ring went cold. Shade flickered at the corner of my eye - the only aboveground shade for leagues, seemed like - and the spectre went scouting. Mathquil knew his business. He flitted into the nearest ruin and vanished. If he found what he was after, he'd dart back immediately. All magic might decay, but some ghosts have a longer half-life than others (so to speak) and can do an awful lot of damage. He knew better than to wrestle something truly ancient.

Me, not so much.

While Mathquil poked around under the dunes, I sat and draped my wrap over a patch of sand. In that limited shelter, I pulled out a jade pen, an inkstick, a small stone tray, and a sheet of paper. I didn't have much water left, but a few drops was enough to mix a little ink.

"What is this place's name, al-Kaateb?"

The pen shivered and started to write on its own.

Qrste-bhto
Eiero Yrim-qafh
Oox-meqtwl
Maout-laxlx axa Exi-qon

"...are you drunk?"

clang

She considered the bleached parchment in her hand and cursed again. If the crease etched between her brows was anything to go by, she’d been considering it for the last half sun-mark.

clang

There were three men at the bottom of a hole at her feet. They occupied various states between sweat-drenched-tunic and sweat-drenched-skin. Even with the sun but a purple memory above the horizon, the sand continued to spit heat like an open flame.

clang

Kreeling, who was turning the shade of well-done steak, looked up.

Gal, who had been that color since the day her mother popped her out, looked down.

“Tu certa d’elo?” He stuck his chin at the map and leaned on his shovel. “Tut’ dia lontan stiami scavat’ qi ed nimmi scercat’ d’ne-ent. Di rel avet Capetain qan elo senta. L’ero dett’ qe ne avet sagezz’ d’mandartu. Ma qan Capo scoltat’ ammi mai? Da qan t’ero raggiunt’ annoi elo tut’ sestregat’ qontu. Ed po’ scegliattu d’tut’ qe-si potent’ scess’—”

“Shut yer gob.”

His mouth remained open, but at least words had stopped coming out. He puffed his cheeks red with embarrassment, then anger, then preparation.

“A ting comes.”

“Qe?” stumbled out instead on wasted breath. He whipped around to follow her gaze.

Gal ignored him and snaked a tongue out to taste the shifting air. She closed her eyes and listened to the whisper beyond the wind, the murmur below the dunes. She kneeled and dug her fingers into the warm sand, waiting for the shiver of footsteps, the drumbeat of a beast on a hunt.

Nothing.

“Not know. Be ready.”

Harrier

Last edited:
Gal

Al-Kaateb offered nothing but gibberish and something about scorpions. Even in the shade of my wrap, the ink-tray and ink-stick baked themselves dry, but I didn't want the pen to clog. I licked the nib clean and tucked the writing-kit away. I kept the paper too, half-covered in garbled words or not. There'd been a time when I thought nothing of discarding paper. Those days were long gone.

The sun had nearly set when I finished wrapping my head and neck again. Heat sizzled off the sand, but the air was getting cold. One draft fussed with my sleeve in something like supplication. Mathquil was back.

<<Don't make me go again.>>

My eyebrows rose. My spectre had scouted terrible things on terrible nights. If the buried ruins scared him...

My blood started burning, in a good way. "Fine, patrol up here. Watch the camel." I headed for the broken gateway. The spectre stayed behind.

“Mahto, cover da hole.”

“El buc’ stiami spendat’ tut’ dia per sca—”

Steel flashed as Gal whirled on Kreeling. His eyes slid down as he swallowed, fixed on the blade pressing into his neck.

“Shut. Up. Mahto?”

“On it. Tent or…?”

“A’ale.” She frowned. “No majik. Da ruins watch.”

She stepped away to help the pair roll out the canvas. Kreeling sagged against a pillar and touched a ginger hand to his throat. “Tu m’era tagliat’,” he hissed as his fingers came back red.

Mahto clicked his tongue as he screwed a wooden stake into the sand. “Should of kept quiet then, eh?”

“Vai futtertu.”

Talris just rolled his eyes and pulled the strings taut. They’d all been sailors for years – knots blossomed into being soon as they took hold of a rope. Once the tent was tied down fast against the harsh desert winds, the party slid their shovels inside and broke out the rations.

“Fire?”

Gal shook her head, mouth full of dry fish.

“Cause of the ruins?”

She shook her head again.

“The thing.”

A grin.

“What is it, anyway?”

A shrug.

“Should I keep a blade out?”

A nod.

“Are you ever gonna answer me proper?”

With a wink, Gal slid her cutlass out of its scabbard and stretched a length of leather under her heel.

“That’s a no, eh?”

Her only response was the rhythmic song of steel.

Harrier

Gal

You don't walk Amol-Kalit without good shoes. That's just a given. As the first little scorpion embedded its stinger in bootleather, I thanked a distant cobbler. But where there's one there's more, and the ruins were closing in, and I could all-too-easily imagine scorpions on my shoulders.

I poured oil from a flask into a tiny lamp with a bone handle - nothing special about it, I just like bone - and then I let there be light. Scorpions skittered for the cracks where mortar used to be. Some of those gaps were large enough that my light could flicker out over the desert, from certain angles anyway. Even if someone noticed, I'd be below ground level before...well, before unknowns could resolve into knowns.

People had died here, plenty of them, but it takes a special death to leave a worthwhile ghost. I hadn't come all this way for some petty looter's soul; I handle my own scavenging, thank you very much. No, I was after someone older. There'd be a language barrier, and I didn't think much of my chances of finding a willing, sapient, cogent ally.

But then again, willingness could mean all kinds of things, couldn't it.

I stretched out down and ahead in my mind's eye. Something stirred. I hurried up.

• Yay
Reactions: Gwythiel Faenwe
The unlikely, unseemly, and unruly band were all wearing good shoes. Looted from the corpses of their victims, naturally. Kreeling’s pair still had that eau des morts about them, which was why he was relegated to first watch.

Nobody wanted to eat next to a man smelled like rotting meat. Even (especially) when you were, in essence, eating rotting meat.

The worms were the a delicacy, though. Gal could never understand the horrified looks Talris shot her when he thought she wasn’t paying attention.

She popped another one between her sharp teeth and rolled over on her cot. With the ruined walls on three sides, there was precious little to guard – the open expanse of desert ahead was as quiet as it got in these parts. The wind stirred occasionally to reinforce the howling reputation of the ruins, but other than—

Her eyes narrowed.

“Kreeling,” she called softly. Too softly; he didn’t move. “Kreel.”

His curls danced as he half-turned. “Qe?”

“You see dat on da sand hill?”

He leaned forward. “Ne c’e ne-ent.”

Gal cursed under her breath and slithered along the wall to his side. Her hand was warm where it landed on his shoulder. “Is a umala— a… a shadow, see? Top of da hill.”

“Tut’ cosi son’ umbra a notta, m’carina.”

Her fingers burrowed deeper. “Shadow don’ muv, Kreel. Da ting is ‘ere.”

• Yay
Reactions: Harrier
Gal

Later, I would learn how it all transpired.

Mathquil, assigned to guard my camel and packs, ranged a little far afield. He'd smelled life like ghosts tend to do. In a patch of ruins, he's spotted steel and heard mumbled voices he didn't understand. Bandits, he sensibly assumed, so he opted to scare them off.

He confessed his first thought was to possess my camel. He did not do that. Instead, he flitted through - literally through - dark ruins to get close. His goal was to find whatever beast of burden the bandits had, and spook it irredeemably.

Me, I was still underground with my little lamp, hunting for suitably ancient ghosts. There's no tool more useful, portable, or concealable than the right ghost.

• Yay
Reactions: Shabha Agloshk
The people of Arethil knew exactly three things about Nazrani: they were crude, rude, and tattooed.

That they had a penchant for consorting with spectra – illicit or otherwise – was a fact closely guarded by the tribes of Aina O Ka La. Gal wasn’t anywhere near Ziri’s level, let alone her mother’s, but it wasn’t for a lack of talent. She’d simply suffered some… interruptions in training.

But that was a story for another time.

“Kreel, muv bak.”

For once he didn’t bitch about it, glad to put as much distance between himself and the… whatever that was. He still couldn’t see shit in the starless night, but there was a hole in the pit of his gut screaming that Gal was right.

The Nazrani slid out her knife and sliced a neat line across her wrist, as you do. Warm red flowers bloomed in the sand around her, spreading to connect into a surprisingly even circle.

She let both her hands fall at her sides and closed her eyes to the corporeal world. Though the dunes were the very opposite of her beloved sea – desiccated, dull, deserted – they still behaved much like it. The waves shifted with the wind all the same.

<<I greet you as Ngalu, spirit. What is your purpose here?>>

There are situations when even a pirate doesn’t forget to observe certain proprieties.

Last edited:
Thick, heavy boots stumped along the sand along with the quieter sound of an ax-haft, richly engraved with complicated rune-sigils, buried one end into the sand. Sigifrith squinted into the night towards the city. He had exhausted every tome of rune-lore in Elbion, both within the college and without.

Now, the time had come for the scholarly research of his own. He had gathered wealth and supplies over the past several decades, working both as a rune-mage and stonemason, sometimes combining them together. Now, he had set off into the world itself in search of the treasure he and his line, if stories were true, had prized above all else. Runes. Runes of binding and of rending. Runes of warding and striking. Runes for wisdom and for charisma.

Long, long ago, the first of his line had taken the clan-name Runecarver. Yet over time, much of the lore had been lost, and what art they retained was but a fraction of what they had once known. Their ancestral halls were lost and they themselves driven out as exiles into the wide world around them.

But this would be his first stop on his quest. For surely, as ancient as the city was, there would be runes forgotten by the rest of the world, if he could search his way through what remained of the city.

In the distance, light flickered briefly, and then vanished quick enough he barely had time to recognize its existence. Sigfrith pulled at his beard, a frown etched deep into his face. Ghosts? Looters? Monsters? With ruins like these, there were none could say.

Sigfrith dropped himself to the sand and wrapped his cloak more tightly around himself. In the dark, he seemed hardly more than a boulder. Dressed in thick leathers, he was not concerned about the scorpions. It was the lights and who else might be about that concerned him.

• Yay
Reactions: Harrier and Gal
Gal Sigfrith Runecarver

My spectre came up short. He's seen a lot in my service, plus the fifty years he spent roaming old battlefields. A pretty bandit or pirate with a knack for talking to ghosts is an unexpected thing. Throw respect into the mix, and I'd imagine he was thinking about switching masters just for the novelty. Being dead, by all accounts, can be intensely boring. Keeping him busy and engaged is a constant challenge.

In the end, necromancy has a great deal in common with middle management. You can take the academic out of the College, but...

<<I guard my master's packs while she explores below. I took you for bandits. What is your name, necromancer?>>

The line of blood was thin, the sand greedy, and the wind unsteady – on strong gust, and her little gateway into the spirit world would be swept away. Beached between worlds like a whale too stupid to see the approaching ebb.

Still, she could not help herself. Damned are the foolish and the curious.

<<Master? You are tethered?>>

That is not how things were done at home. She’d remember that lesson always, yelled as it was at her retreating back by a mother whipped into a fury.

Respect the dead or you will join them sooner than you’d like.

<<I cannot trust you with my true name until I am certain your keeper has no qualm with us.>>

Gal

I can only imagine how Mathquil felt at the question. I try to be a good and rewarding master, but let's be clear: in many cases, a bound soul is effectively a slave, regardless of the level of autonomy and trust I give it. Mathquil and I have a contract that would be difficult to break. He knows, or I think he knows, that I would release him if he asked - and there's a clause for that. But he's seen me be far less accommodating with other souls.

<<There is an arrangement,>> Mathquil says he said. <<My master is Harrier Wren, formerly of the College of Maesters in Elbion. Is she known to you?>>

• Yay
Reactions: Gal
<<No,>> came the flat reply.

She’d heard of Elbion; killed folk from Elbion, and sold and robbed them too; but she’d never been to Elbion proper. Walls too high and guards too wary to let a woman with her cut of jib and scar through the gates.

And what the hell do college maesters do anyway? Master calling?

<<Why is she here?>>

Gal

<<I have more than enough freedom,>> he says he said, <<but sometimes she needs servants of another kind. She seeks for ancient ghosts, the malevolent kind, to bind one and unleash it on her enemies, or learn from it if she can.>>

I did, in fact, seek for malevolent ancient ghosts, for the purposes he described -- but also because I thrive on a challenge and take more than my share of risks. I'm just that kind of person, always have been. Right about then-

Well, let's cut to me for a moment. Picture a stone room in a building that happens to be under the desert, but wasn't originally. Sand has poured in through the windows and litters the floor. Scorpions fuss around in the bones, and there are plenty of bones. No associated spirits, though: they're all silent and gone and partially consumed perhaps, because there's a powerful spectre hovering in the middle of the room trying to eat my soul.

I can't blame him. I'm objectively delicious. Right about then my delicious self was stomping scorpions as fast as she could, looking for any extra energy to fight him.

Gal Harrier

Sigfrith hunkered down further in the sand and absentmindedly traced a finger around him in a circle in the sand. He grimaced at the result. The rune was sloppy, uneven, and already shifting in the sand. This material was no good for rune-work, even one as simple as a rune of warding. It was hardly more than a circle.

He heaved himself up to his feet and stomped forward, his hood pulled low over his face to keep the sand from his eyes. Deep-shadowed eyes peered into the gloom. He needed proper stone. Even ruined buildings would stand him in good stead. For while sand was once of the stone, it had fallen from its once noble nature to be like that of the flightier species. Divided amongst itself, fluid, and unsteady. One could not trust it to build with nor to stand on.

Sigfrith hated sand. It was coarse, rough, and got everywhere. But worst of all, it had no solidity to it that could be trusted and held to its bond. In a sense, sand had nothing of the honor of Dwarves or the stone they worked with. Of course, there were dwarves like that too, those who had gone bad and abandoned their clan and their stone-home. They went wherever the wind carried them, much akin to the sand.

But that was of no import here. There were runes to be carved and runes to be learned, if he could find them. Gradually, he felt the stability of the ground beneath his feet begin to change. Where before it had been constantly shifting, with nothing of the solid echo of good-stone, he now began to feel the rumbling of stone beneath his feet.

The ruins were much deeper beneath him now and the sky above cleared to shine brilliantly with stars. Wind whistled past his ears and clouds scudded on the horizon, casting deep shadows even among the gloom.

Sigfrith sniffed and pulled at his beard. He was not one for weather-magics, but he felt a storm was brewing. Already sharp grains of sand were throwing themselves into his face. This was not a place he wished to spend above the ground during a storm. He trudged forward until he came across an opening the ruins. A chill emanated from the dark depths below.

"Never would a Dwarf dare to go belowground," he murmured to himself, before lowering himself over the lip and down into the catacombs below. A few grains of sand fell in after him, but otherwise, it was still and quiet. He tilted his head to listen. Only echoes and the keening moans of wind in forgotten corridors.

Yet something stirred in the depths that he could not recognize. Something that felt restless and Sigfrith murmured an ancient ward in the Dwarven tongue. Not that it made a difference, but it made him feel better.

A new thought struck him. Perhaps he could summon and bind the thing in his runes. For it to dwell in the city for countless ages meant that it must be ancient. He couldn't say if it was intelligent or not, but if he could bind it within a rune, at least it would keep him safe for as long as the rune lasted.

He shuffled down the corridor and inspected each piece of stone with his boot before finally solid stone to work with. With that, he sat down, removed his hammer and chisel from a pack, and set to work. First was the rune of warding, all around him, and with enough space to add in the more complicated runes. Then the rune of summons paired with the rune for spirits, surrounded by the rune of holding. It took him some time to manage these, but at last, it was finished.

Sigfrith murmured a quiet incantation and opened up a vial of mercury. He took care not to spill a drop on himself, but gradually poured out the metal into the carved lines, along with another chemical ingredient that hardened it. In his mind, hardly any time had passed, but it must have been nearly two hours before he had completed his task.

With that, the runes flared to life in a curving cascade of red light, as they summoned the unquiet spirits in the vicinity. Hopefully, there was just one. He couldn't actually tell beyond the chill that lingered in his heart, signifying some great evil in the area.

• Yay
Reactions: Harrier and Gal
Wind swept the sands and set Kalla's black braids to dancing out from underneath his hood. The night air felt cool and crisp and dry and he filled his lungs with the smell of it. Nothing smelled as clean as a desert. Even the stench of a decaying corpse would be gone in a day or two, the cadaver picked to the bone by carrion and at night devoured by those that hid beneath the sands, cowering from daylight's scorching heat.

Yes.

Night in the desert was for hunting.

He had come a long way from Rajashah, the hidden castle. The floating keep and its order of assassins were widely regarded as more fable than fact. But for those who served the Keeper of Secrets, the order was very much a reality. Few outside of his order ever entered Rajashah and lived to tell, but if they had they would sing of its beauty. Would they first speak of its gardens, where food grew on the left and poisons on the right, or perhaps of the library and the smells of thousand ancient tomes thought long lost or burned? Of artworks saved from Vel Anir's purge? Or would they sing of the view from the Hundred Steps, with all the peaks of Seret spread out before them? This Kalla did not know, for the thought of each filled him with memories of sights and smells.

So he focused on the now and shut out all thoughts of his fortress home. He bent and studied the tracks in the sand, which remained despite the wind. The stride of his quarry was short and its feet small. Not a human, no. A dwarf.

The Runecarver.

Kalla had come to carry out the sacred duty of his order, once more to fulfill his vows to Rajashah.

Night in the desert was for hunting.

Sigfrith Runecarver Harrier Gal

She wasn’t entirely sold on the binding bit. On the islands it was only mentioned insofar as grave offences were concerned. Even thinking about it, Gal had felt guilty and judged, let alone daring to talk of the matter. If her mother weren’t the Shaman of the clan, she would surely have been tried and sacrificed for what she’d done.

Instead she was here, exiled for the remainder of a life that would probably end someday soon amid the spray of the sea and howl of the gale.

Speaking of howling –

Gal tuned out the spirit for a moment, head tilted to the side as her keen senses stirred. Dulled as her awareness of the corporeal world was inside the circle, the ponderous shift in the distance must have been…

Her breath came up short.

It felt like canvas filling up with wind again; like a ship roaring through a storm, splitting a wave; like the scream of tortured timber when trimming the sails close hauled. Like a beast rearing its head in the depths.

She knew by the stench that the circle around her feet was fast-boiling to its scorched end, and with it her time to speak.

<<Run. Warn your mas—>>

With a hiss and a wisp of smoke, the last of her blood burned out. The black sand shifted as another squall squealed through the cracks in the ancient stone. Gal didn’t take her eyes off the shade for one moment as she called out to the rest of her party.

“Hide in da hole. Now.”

Harrier | Sigfrith Runecarver | Grozkalla

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Fain and Harrier
Sigfrith Runecarver Gal Grozkalla

The immaterial realm...flexed. A tough old magic, intuited more than sensed, got ahold of the spectre in front of me, the one trying to eat my soul - and yanked it through the wall. The ghost, not my soul. Someone had grabbed what I'd been after, and just like me, they might find themselves biting off more than they could chew.

My ring pulsed cold: Mathquil had returned, flitting back to me through paths I'd set for him, or he'd have been yanked away too. <<The bandits have no quarrel with you, Master,>> he said, mind to mind. <<One can talk to ghosts with a little blood magic. Nothing compared to the runes at work now.>>

As he explained in further detail, I straightened up from my mess of stomped scorpions. I'd put a good bit of effort into resisting the local spectre and trying to bind it. So far I'd failed, but this felt like a moment to discard the voice that warned of the sunk-costs fallacy.

Someone here was trying to take something that was mine. That was not acceptable.

I raised my little lamp and headed off to find the runemaker.

• Yay
Reactions: Fain and Gal
Grozkalla Harrier Gal

Just because Sigfrith knew the runes of summoning and binding spirits didn't mean that he had actually ever used them before. Elbion Maesters frowned deeply on summoning spirits of the dead within the city. It made the townsfolk understandably uncomfortable and one never knew what might end up being summoned.

With a whoosh of wind and a spine-chilling moan that echoed through the tunnels, something appeared within the runic circles. It clashed and snarled against Sigfrith's carved runes, but it couldn't break free. Still, the Dwarf was quite thankful for the own rune of warding that he carved around himself. Even if the spirit broke free, it couldn't penetrate the strongest protective rune that Sigfrith knew. Not without an enormous source of external power.

"Settle down, laddie," Sigfrith called to the spirit. "I mean ye no harm. Nor did I wish ye to deal me any harm. I just wish to speak with ye about runes or where I can find runes."

The thing strove against the binding, but Sigfrith shook his head. "That rune is carved into solid bedrock and etched with mercury. Ye cannae break such a rune."

What dark and forbidden runes do you wish to learn, came the hissing voice, and what will you give in return

"Well, dark and forbidden are not my area of expertise," Sigfrith replied gruffly. "Just ones forgotten will do. And I will carve another rune to release you a week after my departure." His dark eyes gleamed. "Surely one with such power and might as yourself need not fear or concern one's self with such a paltry amount of time."

He didn't know anything about speaking to evil spirits, but he had studied speaking to dragons, and didn't see a reason for them to be much different.

The last of the tracks ended some ways ahead, but Kalla stopped suddenly, head cocking to one side like a puzzled dog. A sudden roar grew in the air and particles of sand raked across exposed skin, not enough to draw blood from ogre flesh, but enough to send the assassin sprinting for cover.

The sandstorm might not kill him, but it could flay the skin from his body and rub raw his eyes from the sockets.

Lengthening his stride, he made for the only safety he saw: a slight chasm that led deep into the ruins. Kalla paused on the edge, sensing echoes of terror and spite down below, but he'd no time. The wrath of mortals did not compare to the fury of gods and their sandstorms.

He jumped.

Leather booted feet and all the bulk they held met solid stone. It was not quiet.

Kalla grunted, then tried to stand up. His hooded head smacked against the ceiling and he uttered a curse. Hunching over, he crept forward. Over the howl of the winds outside, he thought he heard voices. Kalla drew out a cubit long knife from his belt. The metal rasped softly against the sheath. A good blade for close work.

And this would be close indeed.

He peeked around the corner just long enough to see a dwarf shaped figure illuminated by glowing runes. The shuffling ogre frowned, then crouched down, though upon what he had seen, and waited.

Sigfrith Runecarver Harrier Gal

• Yay
Reactions: Gal