Open Chronicles The Diamond of Alchemy - 200 Years Ago

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Ashieron

Dragon Keeper Founder/“Leader”
Character Biography
Link

proxy.php

~Elbion: Roughly 200 years ago~​
The streets were busting with people walking, or running, to their next destination. Whether they were running late to something or just trying to get home in a hurry. The cobble stone streets were dirty with dust flying up in the air as a strong wind blew through the tight streets. Coating the once brightly colored roofed houses in a thin tan colored layer of dirt.

Ashieron wormed his way through the crowd, not even trying to apologize to the few people he might have stepped on their heels by accident. After all they might not even hear him. In his arms he held a bag of food, on his back rests his bow and elven sword. He looked around for a second to get a baring of where he was at. Luckly he managed to get close to the inn in which he and his companion were staying.

The inn was called, Honeycomb Inn. It laid in the middle of the middle class district. The interior was modestly decorated with hanging candles, a few chairs and rugs. Off to the sides of the building were little rooms for people to spend the night. A bard usually played some tunes in a corner of the establishment. Overall it had a very welcoming, homey, feel to it.

After a few more minutes Ash finally get to the inn and stumbles into it, being literally pushed in by the masses. Barely catching the food he had received Ash lets out a sigh of relief, “I hate big cities.” Straightening up his cloak and dusting it off Ash huffs and walks over to his friend, Rysa Aegis. Placing the bags down on the table Ash falls into his seat just letting his arms hang limply, his legs spread out and his head hanging back. Some sweat laid on his brow from the heat of the day. Dust laid over his hair a

“I have not learned much about the ingredient we’re after while out.” He informs his elven charge. “Hopefully you bared better fruit than I.” Ash asks her holding his hand against his head a d letting some frosty cold air on his forehead trying to cool down some. The two of them were sent by a high ranking noble of the court to go and try to find an ancient rare ingredient for him. For one reason or another they decided to send the Court mage to find it. Sometimes politics made his head hurt with the stupidity of their thought process. If they send her anywhere I need to go with her regardless. But still it would have been nice to not have to travel to some of the locations to send her. Ashieron thinks looking at the cieling, Atleast I do not mind being with her.

• Yay
Reactions: Oliver Rose
Elbion was Rysa's absolute favorite travel destination. She'd been countless times, seeins as she was an alumni of the famed college. Every step she took across the paved streets brought back floods of memories. She recalled the time she and an old dorm-mate nearly blew up the storage rooms trying to steal some seeds of drought. As she and Ash passed by the alchemy store she remembered a treasured mentor, Yersa Valhegen, an outlaw even in the college who taught her more than the college allowed.

Rysa sighed and took in the magical Elbion air. While Falwood was where she was born, Elbion was her true home.

Once they'd arrived at the Honeycomb Inn, Ash promptly stumbled into a seat at one of the tables. Rysa took her time unloading her pack and setting it on the chair next to hers. Ash complained about their quest immediately after she sat down.

"I'm sure you can handle city life for a few more days" she said, stealing a bite of his food, "Besides, you didn't have to come with me."

She'd been told by the court to leave the city in search of a special ingredient: Siren's Tongue. It was a forbidden plant with the ability to influence the mind of the user into luring themself to their own death. How it worked, she wasn't sure. Not even Yersa had told her of it, but she was certain the alchemist had to know something of its whereabouts.

"We are after what is called Siren's Tongue," Rysa started, "It's an impressively lethal plant which can make any man go mad. I believe the court would like to find a way to weaponize it."

• Yay
Reactions: Ashieron
Flowing some ice cold water into a mug with magic, Ash took a short drink, listening to Rysa speak. Ash laughs some and the thought of him staying behind, “You know I would never hear the end of it if I did not come a long. I would rather be here than having my ear chewed out by a noble or someone of the court.” He takes one of the bunches of grapes and some cheese from his bag, “This is so much better than that.” He’d say taking a bit of the grape and cheese together.

Looking at Rysa when she talked about the effect of the Siren’s Tongue, he nods in what might be understanding or approval. Regardless his eyes did nit betray either, ”It will be a great weapon for those who attack our borders or somehow within them.” He’d say taking another bite of food, “We should go ask your mentor once this wave of people dies down. She would probably know at least an inkling of what trail we might be aboe to follow.” Ash whispers a bit looking around for a second. The innkeeper was just sitting behind his desk, organizing his books. No one else was walking around right now, they were probably out and about struggling with the craziness of the streets outside.

• Yay
Rysa scoffed, "I don't think that's the kind of weapon they're interested in."

Siren's Tongue was slow, at least from her understanding. Using it on the front lines would be impractical. Terrorizing whole cities would result in mass chaos and ethical questioning, but individually, the plant could be effective.

"The court never told me what they specifically want to make from it, but I have a feeling it would be for assassinations," she said, lowering her tone.

Rysa grabbed a mug and filled it with water, focusing on the droplets she formed from the air as they fell into her cup. She wasn't sure she wanted to be associated with the weaponizing of such a demonic plant. From the sounds of it, not even the most evil being deserves its wrath.

She took a sip of her water, "I'd hate to be whoever they're seeking to use it on."

• Yay
“You and me both.” Ahieron agrees with her setting down the mug, resting his forehead in the palm of his hand. “But we get paid for it and to be honest, I’d rather keep them happy than have them angry at us.” He’d scan the table counting the cracks on it.

“They could be sneaky in how they handle stuff they deem necessary.” He’d lift his head up and smile “Besides I would rather it be you to find it rather than anyone else. Since people do turn dark when offered something they “can’t refuse.” Ash finished the sentence with air quotes before resting his head back into his hand. “Besides you can always say the trail went cold and hide it away for something.”

“I wonder how it tastes to be fair, but do not want to find out.”
He comment looking at their food. He did not eat much in general so there was quite a bit of it left. “Lets just hope it tastes like chocolate.”

• Yay
Rysa gave a half-assed laugh, "Sure. It'll definitely taste like chocolate."

The tavern was beginning to fill. Night was nearly upon them, "Let's get to our room, yeah?"

She paid the innkeeper the unnecessarily large sum of coins it took to rent a room and led Ash up the stairs. Their room was small despite its price and had two single-sized beds pushed up against the walls. A singular window in the center of the room revealed the ornate night sky, decorated in brightly lit stars and and a walkway framed with lanterns.

"If there's anything I don't miss about this place, it's how expensive everything is," Rysa unloaded her bag and set it on the table by the door, "If I were to run an inn, it wouldn't cost fifty gold for the smallest room."

Taking out a worn notebook and a small sack of ingredients, she sat down with the intention of experimenting.

"Take whichever bed you want."

• Yay
“I hope it would not be fifty gold for something like this, maybe at most ten. And camping is free.” Ash comments looking at the small inn room. He looks at the beds, before chosing the one closest to the window. Setting down his stuff he starts to unpack some of it and set the items under the bed. He’d set his weapons down towards the wall on the bed.

He’d take a peek st the ingredient sack on the table and the old notebook. “Haven’t you ever thought of copying those into a new notebook?” He’d ask Rysa nodding towards the notebook. Before turning around and start taking out his armor, unclasping the pieces on by one and setting then under the bed as well. He’d take off his sweaty and dusty shirt using some magic to wash himself off from today’s dirt before finishing up grtting dressed into his night clothes and crashing into his bed. Feeling nice and clean and ready for the next day as he started to doze some.

• Yay
Flipping her notebook open and scavenging through it, Rysa said, "That would be a waste! Besides, all my notebooks look like this."

She pulled out a clump of bright blue flower petals, nightshade, and a packet of a soft white powder called aetur. Retrieving her mortar and pestle from her bag, she began to grind the aetur and nightshade together.

"I recently got my hands on this aetur when we were in Belgrath. It's supposed to make the effects of elixirs last longer," she hummed.

Rysa reached back into her bag to reveal a medium-sized vile of green liquid. It sloshed around in its container as she eyed it.

"This has been swirling around in the back of my head for weeks," she smiled, pouring the liquid into the mortar, "If I can combine these three ingredients, I should be able to make a potion which makes the user fall into a slumber which could last half a century."

She mixed the concoction together until the aetur was dissolved and the nightshade was glowing green. Then, swiftly, she poured the potion back into the vile, sealing it off with a wisp of magic.

"Of course, I have no idea of knowing if it works," Rysa shrugged, "Unless you're keen on sleeping for fifty years."

• Yay
“I mean... sleeping for fifty years does sound kind of nice sometimes. Imagine it Rysa..” Ash yawns some, “Going to sleep then waking up almost as if nothing happened to you. Possibly safe and sound in a hidden temple of sorts.” He rolls over onto his stomach, with his arms under the pillow for head support. “Fifty years is not long for us anyways unlike humans or other races.” Looking out the window his ears flicking a little bit.

“Speaking of sleep we should get some.” It has been a long time since they last slept in actual beds, with all their travels around the continent.

• Yay
Rysa gathered her belongings from the floor and shoveled them back in her bag, careful not to tear any of the pages from her notebook. She took a moment to jot down her procedure before placing among the bags and viles of ingredients.

“I’ve gotten used to not sleeping,” she said, plopping down on her bed without changing her clothes, “Besides, think of all the things you would miss while asleep for fifty years. I like being caught up with the current happenings.”

Despite her previous statement, she struggled with a yawn and fought to keep her heavy eyelids open. There was very little light in the room besides the faint glow of the street lamps outside.

“We’ll go meet Yersa tomorrow morning,” and with that, she fell promptly asleep.

• Thoughtful
“With my line of work that would be the least of my issues.” Ash chuckles as Rysa fell asleep almost as soon as she landed in her bed. Gotten used to not sleeping? He doubted that at-least halfway. Taking a blanket from the foot of his bed, the elf covers his friend with it. He was not going to wake her, what harm could come with not changing your clothes before bed every once in a while? He had to do that often in his armor after all.

“Good night Rysa.” He whispers before he lays down in his own bed and looked at the cieling. He had deeply hoped that nothing else was after this ingredient, if something was, or if someone had it already somehow. He’d gladly get his hands dirty for it but not in front of Rysa.

Ash would not be able to fall asleep for quite a few more minutes, probably a few hours before the moon had reached its highest point in the sky. He’d fall asleep with his sword in one hand and just his sheets covering him.

• Yay
"What the hell have you gotten yourself into now?"

Yersa was a grumbly dwarvish woman who stood on a stool to see over the top of the counter. Her greasy chestnut hair was tied back in a modest bun and her clothes were dotted with soot- no doubt from her hours spent by a cauldron.

"I don't see you for, what, thirty-some years and here you are asking about Siren's Tongue?" she spat.

"It's nice to see you, too," Rysa rolled her eyes.

Yersa's shop was stocked full of different glowing viles. Strange clumps of herbs and crystals littered the shelves and strings of plants hungs from the ceiling. Rysa missed the aura of the shop, missed the nights she spent sitting on the floor after everything closed down, brewing concoctions while Yersa warned her what ingredient combinations would burn down the whole building.

"Who's this boy you have with you?" she asked, pointing a grubby finger at Ash.

• Yay
Ash stood towards one of the shelves examining its contents, such weird looking leaves fascinated him. “I am more or less her protector and her friend.” Ash says towards the dwarf with a smile before going back to browsing the shelves. He did not really enjoy being called a boy, last time he checked he was full grown even by elven standards. Unless times changed that is. That and her tongue was sharp as a thorn.

“We’re on a job ma’am.” He says to the dwarf looking at Rysa for permission to explain their mission, as much as he could within his abilities. Ash picks up one of the glowing viles thinking of how useful they would be for a prank or two on a few of his housemates back in the Val.

• Yay
Yersa grumbled at Ash’s insistent touching of every object he found strange, but turned her attention back to Rysa, “I don’t understand why you took up that foolish job in the first place. You have so much more potential when not constrained by rich know-it-alls.”

Rysa leaned against the counter, watching Ash observe a vile of cyanthus, a mild poison which caused stomach pains and vomiting. She huffed a laugh and faced her mentor.

“It pays well, though. That’s what really matters,” she said, “Now. What can you tell us about Siren’s Tongue?”

Yersa heaved a sigh and hopped down from her stool. She walked around the counter and plucked the vile from Ash’s hands, returning it to its spot on the shelf.

“I can tell you that you shouldn’t be messing with it. You should know better than dabble in the dread of that which induces death,” she paced around the room, “But since I know I can’t stop you, fine, I will tell you what I know. You can find it in a cave nearby. Shore’s Depths. That’s what it’s called. Most of it is filled with water as you’ll find it by the edge of the river outside the city.”

Yersa gave Rysa a concerned look, “I wouldn’t dare touch the damned thing. Don’t know what it might do. Make sure you enclose it without coming in direct contact with it. And tell your court assholes that too.”

She stepped back up on her stool behind the counter and shrugged, “Now get out of my shop before I blow a fuse.”

Rysa bowed her head and turned to leave the shop, grabbing Ash by the bicep as she went. The city air had a slight humidity to it and she instantly regretted leaving the confines of a cool interior, but was determined to finish the job as quickly as she could.

“Well then,” she let go of Ash, “we best get going.”

• Yay
“Come on, can’t a man admire someone’s work and shop?” Ash asks Rysa waving to the old dwarf as he was dragged out of the shop. He says to the woman stiffling a bit of a chuckle now excited to go out for a swim in this humidity. “She.... was a character to say the least.” He says to Rysa when they were out of earshot of the apothecary.

“To be honest, Im not surprised that the Siren’s Tongue is at Shore’s Depth. Sirens do like the ocean and singing sailors and men out to sea.” He chuckles some, “Reckon if we will find some of those feathered things there?” He’d ask Rysa as they walked out of the city and into the main road to follow it out towards Shore’s Depth, Ash already had to take his shirt off to preserve it from some of his sweat just so he could have a dry shirt to wear for some of the remaining time in the humidity.

Birds sanf their songs and little critters ran through the woods and grass surrounding them, now this was what he called a peaceful journey. “Hopefully this job finishes out this quiet.” He sighs enjoying the sounds and breeze in his hair.

• Yay
The air was sweltering and Rysa’s hair was beginning to frizz despite its thinness. She regretted not renting a horse for the trip. Untying the string holding her cloak around her shoulders, she wrapped it up and tucked it through the strap of her bag with a sigh.

“I wish I knew some sort of spell to ward off the humidity,” she whined, “I can’t stand the heat!”

The trip was easy. The path was cut out and the sounds of the river flowing by their side was calming. Rysa loved the water. It reminded her of the lake she used to play in as a kid outside of Falwood.

“When we get to the cave, we have to get the stuff quick. I have a vile or two ready for extraction. Try to keep it underwater as you pluck it.”

• Yay
“I’ll try.” Ash says thinking of the ways, he could hold his breath for a pretty long time. Hopefully long enough toe pluck the item and beable to transfer it over quickly without causing any blunders.

One they reach the cave, it just sent chills sown the elf’s spine. It looked as if it was one of the caves described in his mother’s horrer stories she told him to make him behave. “At this point I am not surprised.” He sighs and heads into the cave. It was indeed a bit cooler than outside the cave which was a welcome change atleast.

Once they go to the pool of water Ash stretches some, “Whenever you’re ready.” He says looking at Rysa watching her prepare.

Once she was Ash dove into the water. Swimming down Ash searches around for the Siren’s Tongue and found its utter blackness. He’d carefully pluck it and work his way back up to the surface shivering a little bit. “Please tell me you got warming magic.” He ask his ears drooping down some from the cold.