Completed The Conquest of Amol Kalit

Gerra

The Emperor
Character Biography
Link
When the Djinn of the Desert set the Sand Elves into motion, they came like a swarm of locusts over the land, growing in number. A tribe seemed to join Gerra’s host for every league he traveled, creeping out from under mesas and dunes, leaving the wilderness to swell the ranks of the army. With such numbers and relying solely on forage and the fruits of the land, they stripped the areas they traveled through bare, like a herd of goats eating the grass bare.

They crossed the Baal-Asha and traveled north, sweeping through the land between the two rivers, before following the Baal-Duru to its fertile delta, where sat the blue-walled city of Annuakat beside the gulf, with her thousand farms and her hanging gardens.

The farmers fled before them and sought refuge within the city. Surely the Marya, those nobles who ruled the city, with their golden chariots and their golden steeds would protect them.

Gerra encamped around the city and stared long at the walls.

He knew that such a city, perhaps the most powerful in all of Amol Kalit, would prove murderous to besiege, even with all his knowledge of the craft. The Sand Elves, if they did not grow bored from the wait and disperse home, would be averse to the many thousands who would die trying to take this city of Annuk, chief god of the Kaliti.

Yet, the raw force of military strength was not the only way to take a city.

The Order of the Bronze Claw, a league of mercenaries, were under the employ of Annuakat’s nobles. But mercenaries are such fickle creatures. So easily swayed by coin. And in his trek from Maraan to Annuakat, Gerra had plundered many a caravan. A proper bribe in the right hands to remove those who opposed him. It would be such a simple thing, would it not?

This, Gerra resolved to do. On the third day of his encampment about the city, his host furled their tents and the Sand Elves seemed to melt away. The nobles of Annuakat rejoiced, boasting that their walls were so thick that the desert savages were cowed at the mere sight of them. They held a feast in celebration inside the palace.

A palace which the Order of the Bronze Claw was paid to guard.

The histories record what happened next.

Laughter and music filtered through the warm evening air. Cambes smiled and smoothed the front of his purple robes as he walked toward the palace atrium. His sandals made a soft patter upon the alabaster floor.

“A day to remember, yes Ozman?”
His companion chuckled. “Yes, the day the desert denizens finally rose up against us to throw off Kaliti yoke.” He snorted. “Truly, if I had a gem for every elf uprising, I would be a rich man indeed.”

“Do your Kherkhanite mines not produce enough for you now?”

“Ah, but ogres. So stupid. So big. I hate dealing with those creatures.”

“I hear the women of court think differently. Those blue muscles, so defined. So big. Why, they thought to ask that Grozkalla of the Bronze Claw. Pay him to strip for entertainment.”

Ozman rolled his eyes. “Foolish talk. The ogres are brutes, meant only for physical tasks.”

“But Ozman… that is the point.”

“Foolish,” he repeated, “They’ll forget all about ogres tonight. After all, was it not us, the proud Marya charioteers of Annuakat who drove off the Sand Elf incursion?”

“Yes, yes it was.” Cambes quite liked the sound of that. He had been looking for a fifth wife, after all.

They came into the gardens and the scent of rich perfumes nearly overpowered Cambes. A throng had gathered beneath the torchlight. Some reclined on benches, or rugs, or simply lay on the grass, while they listened to the pipes, watched the graceful movements of dancers in sheer silk, and drank deeply from their cups. The gardens brimmed with the nobility of Annuakat tonight. Everyone who was anyone was here. Moans of pleasure came from behind a hedge.

“Ah, the orgies have already started,” said Ozman, disappointed.

“Well, we can always-”

Sudden screams erupted from the crowd. Figures in armor came in from the shadows, wielding blades that glinted in the torchlight. They fell upon the crowd, slashing and hacking. Cambes watched a massive brute, maybe seven feet tall, use an enormous, curved sword to hack off the arm of Iris, a woman who owned two thousand slaves. Her mouth was open as blood spurted from her severed stump, but there was so much noise Cambes could not tell whether or not she was screaming, or him.

Ozman clutched at Cambes’ robes. “We have to go, we have to go!”

There came a low, angry hum and javelin suddenly sprouted from Ozman’s chest in a burst of hot scarlet that spattered across Cambes’ face. He let out a whimper, gurgling, as he fell.

Cambes felt something hot running down his leg. Had he been struck? What was that smell? He looked down to find his pants soaked with piss.

“Oh,” he said dumbly, then looked up just in time to see the massive brute with the curved sword lumbering toward him. He now noticed the tiny eyes and the blue skin. “Ogres, meant only for physical tasks…”

Grozkalla, Third Talon of the Bronze Claw, decapitated Cambes in a single swing. He watched the head bounce, then roll to a stop, the same stupid expression on the man’s face.

Humans. So arrogant. So weak. I hate dealing with them,” he muttered, then stomped off to massacre more of Annuakat’s nobility.

By morning, the palace was a blood-soaked nightmare of severed limbs and rent bodies.

By afternoon, the host of the Abtati were making their way into the city, through gates held open by Bronze Claw mercenaries.

From within their Annunaki temples, the lector-priests watched, not even deigning to lift a finger in defense of the city. After all, is not Annuk the god of conquerors?

He was looking for a quick drink when the screams first started. And the arrows started flying all over the thrice-darned place. He barely got his borrowed (read; stolen) scimitar to knock aside what projectiles were in his way, firing curses at random. Hired as an independent arm/mercenary, as a just-in-case scenario, he found his own charge dead, the killer brandishing a sword in challenge at him. "Death comes to you, fellow mercenary. Either join the Bronze Claw, or - "

"Spew your allegiance trash somewhere else, like in a dump. Common knowledge that mercs by trade are defined by loyalty to the coin." Grumbled Traecon, swiping the blood off his blade with a flourish. The unnamed warrior toppled over, his head rolling somewhere away. That mattered little. His contractor was dead. And the city was burning beneath the sudden ambush. Already he could see other mercenaries of the Bronze Claw tearing into the population like starved wolves - that ogre stood out the most, cleaving down the hapless left and right. That was a mark he would perhaps claim with Dreamsbane, but not now.

He would need to blend in again, like always. While fond of challenges, a turnabout this size was not in his repertorie to repel. He was no legend given flesh. Mayhaps if the ice mage were here he could stem the tide, but for now, he would hide. Remarkably easy, given his appearance and presence. Even seasoned hunters would not glance twice in his direction.

Even still, he tore through what other Bronze Claws he could find without mercy, bloodied blade flashing bronze and crimson in the torchlights. Dodging a spear thrust with a left sidestep, he charged with a thrust, spearing another mercenary with the sword. With a grunt, he pushed onward, the blade sprouting from the man's back to impale another. With a kick, he dislodged the bodies off, swiping the sword to rid it of blood. He needed to hide quick now - if one of those Talons of the Bronze Claw found him, he would definitely die - he would kill them of course, but the ensuing exhaustion would assure his own death in turn. Dreamsbane was fickle like that.

He spied an abandoned hut in the chaotic streets, and made himself scarce. He would wait until morning to figure out his next plan, once those mercenaries had their fill of plunder. He regretted his choice of taking this desert job now - while no stranger to its heat, it often brought bad memories back. He could cross bad luck off the list now too.

"This will get worse... bugger."

He didn't know how much, as he drifted to sleep, playing dead under a couple lifeless, civilian bodies. He wore a mask to ward off the stench of copper and blood.

He nearly cursed up a storm the following morning, seeing the Sand Elf host enter the city with Bronze Claw aid. Loyalty to coin indeed - the mercs had been bought out.

A cowl covered the head of the young half elf as she entered the area surrounding the city that still hand lingering smoke clouds hovering above it. Bringing a hand to her face to shield her eyes from the sun she sighed softly. It seemed that extra day she spent in the last town ruined more than her travel plans. The hand pressed against her eyes as she groaned loudly, it was her luck that something like this would happen. The news about what was happening was hushed, but the young woman had her ear to the ground. There was coin to be made and now it seemed like that coin was up in smoke.

“Do I keep going?” She asked no one around her as her hand fell and rested against her short sword’s hilt. Deciding it wouldn’t hurt, she continued on towards the town.

Upon entering, she kept her cowl close to her face. The strong stench of death and burning corpses clogged her sensitive nose. She could taste the copper taint of blood in her mouth, which didn’t help with her other senses and inner demons. Shuddering at the carnage she raised an eyebrow seeing what looked like the remains of an orgie(?). So, this was how people celebrated or something, Achates thought quietly to herself. Interesting, that’s the only word she was able to pull from her vocabulary to describe the scene.

As she wandered, she did her best to stay quiet and try and blend in. She wanted to know what exactly had happened and if there was more to it than just a raid or an attack.

Traecon Maxwell Gerra

He strode up the steps of the palace, pausing only at the top to turn and survey the blue-walled city of Annuakat.

The Abtati still poured into the city, but Gerra had stayed their hands. He would not see his new prize despoiled and the populace turned against him. The Sand Elves freed any of their tribes they found amongst the slaves, but otherwise busied themselves by disarming the city’s garrison and wiping out or turning any recalcitrant mercenary companies.

Gerra watched for a moment, as one might watch the work of an anthill in fascination, then turned and strode into the palace proper.

Followed by his entourage of Abtati high elders and Bronze Claw mercenary captains until they reached the Room of Thirty Thrones.

A molten gaze swept across the alabaster stone. There were indeed thirty thrones for all the princes of Annuakat.

But Gerra needed only one.

He approached one at the center fashioned entirely from lapus lazuli and trimmed in gold leaf, then took his seat.

“Bring out the prisoners.”

In the chaos, it would be all too easy for Achates to find her way to the palace and the throne room.

There was bustle and Achates wasn’t blind, so she instantly caught a glimpse of it. She brought the cowl’s wrapping up more to cover her face, the last thing she needed was to draw any sort of attention to herself. Watching and listening, she used the chaos as a cover to continue moving through the city. The pathway lead to one place and that was the palace.

The shadows for the time being became a home as she used them to move about until she found an unguarded window, “How convenient, don’t mind if I do.” A small smirk spread across her young features as she climbed up the short distance of the wall and crawled into the window. She continued to move about the palace unnoticed, which worried her a bit. The palace was pretty big, and she wondered what sort of treasures lurked inside or as it all ransacked during the raid or whatever happened earlier. Keeping her weapons close, she continued down the long hallway till she heard footsteps.

They were moving near her and she needed to get out of their way before they had found her. She ran down the hallway till she found a grouping of doors, she continued to twist their knobs, but almost all of them seemed to be locked. The last door, the one that was the most ornate stood out and she sighed, “Of course I bet you’re the one that opens.”

A hand reached out and slender fingers grabbed the cold knob and twisted. The door opened and she quickly slipped into the room unknowing what was actually inside. Once the door was shut, the young elf closed her eyes and sighed softly. At least now she’d be able to avoid whoever was marching along the hallways. Leaning against the cool door, she slid down and plopped herself onto the ground. Slowly, she opened her eyes and stared at the being that was in front of her now, never had she seen anyone or anything like him in her short lifetime.

‘Maybe he’s a god?’

Gerra

• Yay
Reactions: Gerra
After sentencing the former nobility of Annuakat to their fate, Gerra had retired to his chambers. They were lavish, full of silks and satins. Frankincense still burned in the braziers, lingering from the previous night’s festivities.

Gerra wondered which of the princes this room had belonged to, when suddenly he heard the click of a door behind him. The half-giant turned and looked down at a woman, his brows knitting together.

“Well?” He rumbled in a voice of impossible depths.

Last edited:
  • Sip
Reactions: Achates
A voice echoed as she finally saw the room for what it was that surrounded him. It was a bed room of sorts. How awkward of her to arrive in such a room with a man, a god, a beast – whatever he was. The word echoed in her mind as she had her attention snapped back towards him. The cowl lowered so that she could talk. The giant would come face to face with a smallish elf, her features speaking to her mixed breeding. Dark hair and garnet eyes were her strongest features.

“Well what?” A small attempt at being more confident than she was, but it bought her some time to examine the room for escape and to size up the man if for some reason she would have to claw her way out of here like a caged dog. She stayed against the door as she felt the curve of her back lean into the hand crossbow she had hidden away. A bit more confidence came to her as she leaned off the door.

“Who are you?” She smirked and continued to walk towards him.

Gerra

• Yay
Eyes the color of molten gold studied the face of the girl as she lowered her cowl. An elf, fine of feature, with the lines of her face and body drawn in sharp detail, like the fine letters of a scholar on parchment. Far different from the hammer blows that seemed to forge Gerra and his brothers of Molthal. Yet, she did not seem one of the Abtati. A face too fair peered up at him, unweathered by a lifetime in the desert beneath the sun.

His brows knit further together still as she approached, confidence in her gait and a smirk crossing her lips. Gerra did not move away. His gaze flicked down to her hands, then back up.

“I am Gerra.”

Unarmed and alone, clad in only a black thawb of goat wool that fell to his ankles and pants beneath, the newest claimant to the city cocked his head.

“Are you here to kill me?”

• Dab
Achates could feel his eyes examining her, sizing her up. She wondered if he found her threatening, if she was someone that could take him down. The intention of arriving at the palace wasn’t to kill anyone really, but the elf wondered if it was necessary. Still, there was a sudden fascination from the man who didn’t attack.

Her advancement slowed as she listened to him introduce himself and ask her if she was there to kill him. Was she that obvious in her occupation or did the man have to fear death at every turn? There was a long pause, a hand came to her face, resting upon her chin as she thought. Looking back at him with curiosity, she raised a brow and shrugged softly. “I don’t’ think so.” A step forward, as she wanted to move closer – to get a better look.

“Should I be here to kill you?” Once more she stopped and the smile widened softly. “I’m Achates, why are you worried about assassinations?”

Gerra

A snort.

“That is a question of some debate... Achates.”

He glanced toward the door.

“Although not one I would have thought to hear from you, given the circumstances.”

The frown tightened, then relaxed. He did not enjoy lacking the upper hand in knowledge.

“Would you care for coffee? The Al-Hadra have taught me much, but the perfect brew is, I think, their greatest accomplishment.”

• Bless
Hospitality was the last thing she had expected, so much that she was caught off guard slightly and tried her best to hide it. Curiosity wore her down and she ignored the weapons she had on her for her travels. He showed her kindness in a way and she was interested in learning a little about this land she had come across.

“A question of debate?” She repeated as she drew closer, her hands now visible attempting to show that she was no threat to him. Thinking quietly to herself, she nodded. “I would like to try some of your coffee, Gerra. Are the Al-Hadra your people?” She was cautious when she spoke, there was an assumption that he was the royal, their King from where he was living.

The bedchambers were large, but one of the walls opened onto a patio that overlooked the famed gardens of Narmaka.

Gerra selected a silver cup from among the dining ware inside the chambers, then grabbed one of the incense braziers and went to the patio.

He sat at a small table on the patio and beckoned the elf to do the same.

“They are my people. And yet they are not my people.”

Stirring the contents of the brazier with a bare hand until the embers glowed red, coming back to life.

“Is this fire the same as the one which burned last night, or is it a new flame given birth by the old?”

He raised eyebrow at her as he placed the cup inside the brazier, then produced a waterskin from beneath his robes and poured the contents into the cup.

“I am not of the Al-Hadhra tribe. They found me in the desert. Took me in. Sheltered me. Now, in this kingdom I build, it is I who will shelter them.”

Listening, Achates followed him and seeing where they were headed she took her eyes off of him and looked towards the view. This place was none like she had ever been, it saddened her that she had only come here because she was supposed to be hunting some sort of monster. Seemed that was the only reason why she traveled in her life. Starting with her father and where he wanted to venture, to doing what her father bid her to do, and now where ever there was coin for hunting. Gerra continued to speak and the elven woman pulled herself from her own memories.

His words were complex and she looked towards the fire to watch it. It was an interesting way of looking at things, if the flame was still the old or if it was new birthed from the death of the old. What was also interesting beyond his words, was the fact that he used his hand, his bare hand. Her thoughts returned wondering if the man was indeed a god, or even half a god.

Who was this Gerra?

“Interesting take on the life and death of fire.” Pausing, she continued to watch and then look at him. “It Seems you were both lucky to find each other, you and the Al-Hadhra. You needed them first, and now they need you.” Remembering what she had seen when she first arrived in the city, she pulled her presence inward.

“What happened last night?” If anyone knew it would be him.

• Yay
Traecon chose that moment to emerge, one silvery arm grappling onto the balcony, the stone cracking beneath his grip.

He was... pissed, for the lack of a better word. After sleeping in a pile of bodies and managing to escape what patrols were to be found, he had mentally raged at the sight of the Host entering the city. His contractor was dead, and that meant his payment was gone. Half of it anyways, gutted like a fish in a barrel. But venting his rage physically would accomplish nothing, this he knew. He was fairly sure he could kill much, but ultimatrly his end wpuld be certain. So, why not establish a new contract? Hopefully the one in charge of this... entourage would be willing to accept more new blood into the ranks. He was sure, whomever it was, she/he/it could use some extra hands. He had been... complicit in shortening them himself, a day before.

After climbing to the roof of his temporary hideout, he noted a balcony built into one side of the palace, a patio, by the looks of it. It was fairly high up, amid a host of guards he knew better than to simply pass by. They would not let him anyways. The rooftops made good cover, and expedited his approach towards the target area. What few scouts he found, were disposed of quickly and silently. Assassination proved its use with the dagger he always kept. And his lack of armor contributed... much. The scimitar he had left behind in the house. He had no use for it where he was headed. And there was always more to steal from dead bodies anyway.

At the foot of the great palace, directly beneath the balcony he had spotted, were a small patrol. Easy enough. From his vantage on the rooftops, he gazed once at their weapons, and again at the brand. More Bronze Claws. He spied a simple bastard sword on the belt of one at the right end of the group. That would do.

The landing was quick. With a silent leap, he fell upon the patrol of 4 guards. His feet burying into the nearest head, his knife flashed, taking off the head of the one with the sword. With his free hand, he tore the weapon free from the sheathe with a metallic screech, swinging it around at the other two. Their headless corpses hit the ground moments later, as he finished the job with the one crumpled at his feet. Sloppy, but he was in a hurry.

Then came the climb. He did not like this part, as he was likely to be spotted along the way. But by some whim of fate, no scrying eye of spotters, patrols, nor archer set upon him, and he made his way directly beneath the patio itself, the silvery fingers of his right arm digging into the rock like soft clay. He could hear two voices. One female and one male. He hadn't expected the latter's voice possessing such depth. Then he heard the female voice question thus.

"What happened last night?"

In a remarkable use of acrobatics, he leapt out from beneath his perch, grasping the protruding floor, and hurled himself up, using his other arm to stabilize his landing. He landed plop onto the stone railing right infront of the table, behind a - That was a giant man there - person he presumed to be the new leader.

"If I may, seeing as I was a victim of the ambush last night?"

His hood had fallen over his face, leaving silvery eyes glimmering in the shadow of his features.

Gerra Achates

The half-giant went very still, then, slowly, he turned his head to regard the interloper crouching on the railing of the balcony.

“By all means,” said Gerra, his expression inscrutable.

Traecon Maxwell

She had heard rustling in the distance and when the man had finally shown his face, she wasn’t too surprised. Still, her face showed some surprise as her question was answered by a different voice instead of the deep one, she had quickly grown accustomed too.

First reaction was to grab the hand crossbow, but she stopped herself and decided to not lean on violence. The man near her didn’t seem to be worried about this sudden visitor – but she would be prepared to draw and place a bolt between the visitor’s eyes.

“Victim? What happened then?”

Gerra Traecon Maxwell

• Yay
Through sandstorms and downpours and treacherous dunes a lone caravan of pilgrims carried on in their march to honor their patron and God. Such was their faith that through night and day they galloped on without pause for water, food or sleep. They travelled light and were few in number, as holy men all draped in silk and perfumed linen carried on the backs of thin white camels mottled with scars and open sores are want to do. Their weapons were strange whips studded with brass and their mission was to exhume the body of a saint. A saint of whom, what and where, exactly? This they wouldn't disclose no matter the gold and prayers offered or the threats spats by the travellers they came across, more than faith and honor, what few scraps of identity they were allowed to nurture depended on preserving the silence, so as not to anger their charge. Yet they were allowed to doubt, to feel anguish and fear, such emotions added a liveliness to their speech that their long-dead puppeteer could not ever hope to mimic. Even then their thoughts became quickly annoying to Méchanteau. Woe, how the Dread Captain loathed those self-pitying thoughts of home and brood! They were dead, slave to his whims, could they not understand that their utility only went so far? And only three days of travel had passed...

As he yet again chastised his thralls for their incessant moaning a strange thing came to his attention. A glint in the distance, burnt into the corneas of one of the caravan's scouts. The skeleton nearly disassembled himself with excitement as he rattled in his sarcophagus, through the scout's faded eyes he saw blue-walled Annuakat set ablaze! What opportunity this fire presented, from it Méchanteau could again bolster his ranks and arm them! Mouthpieces with teeth and tongue, warriors with all of their limbs, steeds that could pass for living ones, from the freshest martyr to the crispiest victim, he would find a use for all! Especially if their use was to be little more than another piece of Méchanteau's collection, such unabashed greed greatly pleased Tabin-Ur.

A fog befell the streets of Annuakat in dark and profane hues. It seeped through the cracks on the walls and windows, carried its chilling winds through even the holiest places, and where it settled strange things would happen. The bodies of beast, man and elf, along with any others marked by death, rose with twisted and frantic twitches. Sweeping blades, hacking axes, oil-slick arrows, nothing fazed the undead as they mustered in and around a crumbled Annuki temple, the one crowned by toppled obelisks and a beheaded effigy of great Annuk. Sacrilegious sat up high on the marble neck of the conqueror god, with the aid of a mirror shard, Méchanteau awed at the bloodied finery and dress he had pilfered from the lector-priests, as well as the intricate arabesques of kohl with which he decorated his skull. This was very pleasant and all, but eventually greed gave way to the gravity of the situation. Méchanteau would not be able to cross the desert unnoticed with these many thralls! He needed only twenty bodies to replaced those with which he had come, fifty camels to take the loot, ten bulls or more to carry Annuk's immense head... Hm, perhaps his math was a bit skewed, but he knew for certain that he would not need so many under his thrall! And the head would ingratiate Annuk, but what of the Thirty Thrones? They were most likely free of their thirty princely rumps, and if not, they would most certainly be more closely guarded than Méchanteau's own phylactery! Well, hopefully not so...

Riding atop the smoldering carcass of a elephant, behind which a mob of those slain in the past few days closely followed with all manner of weapons, rags and armor, the skeleton came to a halt at the stairs of the palace. In his hand was tiny sandglass, a cheap wooden knick knack sold to children by which the expediency of Gerra's men would be tested. He jumped from the gruesome stallion and thrusted the toy unto the hands of a nearby sand elf. "Ah, how sweet it is to be back home! There is nothing of this sort upnorth, let me tell you. Abtati, are you not? Precious thing... Here to take some babies from their cribs, maybe the cribs themselves? Well, Annuakat has strong hardy people but I came for the Thrones. They were thirty in number last time I was here, and I want whole the set. Thirty minutes for their retrieval seems fair, does it not? One for each? Hurry now, fail and I'll begin with you!"

The fearstruck guard ran up the stairs and disappeared through the gates. A horde of barely restrained gnashing and trashing undead had effect on people. "Daft knife-ear! You dropped the sandglass!"

"I was hired by the previous... occupants as a bodyguard, extra muscle in case you managed to break through the city defenses. Then you had to hire the Bronze Claw from the inside out and ambush them all in the middle of the ceremony."

Traecon then made a show of cleaning his dagger, mood still sour at the memory of the whole... mess. "I'll be willing to let bygones be bygones if you'd hire my services. I am not so honorable as to kill the man who murdered my previous contractor. He was a bit of an... arse."

Then his neck snapped backwards, nearly falling off his perch at the sheer... chill crawling up his spine. Nothing like Focraig's magic - this one was sinister. Unnatural.

"I'll be willing to demonstrate my skills right now, if that mist over there is any indication."

• Yay
Gerra cocked his head slightly, the frown returning to crease his brows in a deep furrow.

“Yes.”

He rose slowly, until he towered over the two of them.

“I would tell you of how I chose to kill some to spare many, but now is not the time. Achates, I am afraid coffee must wait.” Gerra gestured at the swirling mist in the distance.

“Come, join me.”

With that, he turned and with a sure, steady gait moved briskly through the personal chambers until he emerged once more in the room of thirty thrones, where many were gathered, both elf and Kaliti.

They grew silent as soon as Gerra entered, his presence looming over them like a brooding mountain.

One of the Abtati started to speak, but a Kaliti in fine, but bloodied robes cut him off.

“Not ten minutes past you promised that if we swore fealty to you the city would be spared, but now undead slaughter our priests. Are you so quick to go back on your word?” Hissed the man, defiant.

“Peace, Mago, prince of the Marya. This work is not of my hand.” Gerra said, his sonorous voice brooking no argument. “Iben, what news?”

The elf who had been cut off earlier now spoke, “The thrones, Great Djinn. He wants the thrones.”

“Who?”

“One of the risen, he rides atop the carcass of an elephant.”

“Necromancers,” Gerra’s lips curled, the word like acid. “Bring me my armor and hammer.”

He turned, regarding Mago, Traecon, and Achates. “None of you I knew before today, yet now I ask that you shed blood, not for me, but for the city and it’s people. The undead are a blight upon the living. A blight we will purge in fire.”

Traecon's silvery arm gleamed in the light, the runes lighting up a silvery hue. The dagger was flourished in his hands like a fifth limb, before settling in a reverse-grip on his metallic limb. He was hoping for a vocal negotiation, not a physical demonstration. After going through all that effort to meet the bloody man in the first place... bah. He'd cut off this necromancer's head and be done with it.

"My loyalty is to the coin and my life, Leader of the Host. But since we have ourselves unwanted intruders, I suppose a display of what you are hiring is in order."

He would avoid using Dreamsbane until the Necromancers were in sight. The sword could harm those who walked between realms, but to what extent, he decided to test its genuine worth this night. For now, he stuck to his dagger and sword.

"Here they come, like wolves to blood."

• Yay
Reactions: Azmelqar and Gerra
Achates nodded, hearing that the coffee was going to have to wait. She looked towards the interrupter and frowns. She was curious about the man named Gerra, she wanted to hear his story. Something intrigued her about the man, about this conquer – if he could even be called that. Garnet orbs followed his movements, memorizing how he moved, where he put his weight when he walked.

There was a gathering and Achates remained in the background, she watched the events unfold in front of her. Pointed ears perked as she the word, Necromancer. It was a being she had only studied from her father’s books; she had never met one face to face. There was a part of her that was nervous about the confrontation, but another part of her – an animalistic side was excited and in dire need to fight.

Gerra’s voice broke her from her daydreams and she smiled nodding. “Of course, Gerra. After this is over, you owe me coffee” The young elf flashed him a smile, hoping to keep things light despite the chaos that brewed outside. She began to check over her equipment and moved on to prepare. A part of her wonders how loyal the man who interrupted her talks really was. All they could do was wait now, let them draw closer and get the command to attack from Gerra.

Gerra Traecon Maxwell RustySpork @

• Popcorn
The vanguard of the horde all stood with arms and hands reaching for Méchanteau, holding the lich well above their heads as he laid resting on their palms, absorbed by the sandglass in his hands. The glass was cracked, the wood chipped, and now there was greased sand spilled all over his new tunic! Well, it was a pity, he had taken a fancy to this new toy. Father used such daft things quite often, helped with divining the dance of the constellations or some nonsense like that. Méchanteau chucked the worthless bauble to a flaming nobody some rows behind, and when he turned he was greeted with the visages of... absolutely no-one. Again. Just how heavy were those glorified chairs?

"Indulge me, sweetheart, how long has it been since I told you start counting?" a choked rasp came from under the skeleton "Ah, pity... Should've chosen someone who can count, or with a neck. Well, I think enough time has passed. Do you reckon it has?" again, a spluttering gasp "You are useless." Sparks flew from Méchanteau's empty orbits, soon becoming wispy green flames and smoke. The lich was in each limb and muscle of the horde, saw through their eyes, roared through their mouths, animated the dead meat into brandishing their blades, thrust their pikes, swing their axes, beat on their shields and armor. An entire menagerie of beasts joined, Méchanteau felt squirm eardrums rupture yet remained unfazed. The Dread Captain slid from his cradle of hands, walked to his charred steed and leaned on its trunk "Afraid, are you? And confused, it's natural. Your flesh moves on its own, yet you feel not even the most sudden twist of tendon... Remember the arrows that skewered you? The fire that ate away at your hind? I need you to. I need that confusion, that call to your basest instincts, I need what remains of that supple brain of yours to go there and rampage! Rampage away, and be sure that as long as I will it you shall keep on rampaging!" Two rotted shamblers from before the siege cut through the crowd, carrying each two amphoras overflowing with pitch, resin and grease as well as sinewy fig sticks. Méchanteau took the chance to pluck a fig when the twin thralls walked by him. They dipped their sticks in the concoction and began lashing away at the stone-still creature, opening sores slick with blood and oil as the rest of the undead kept on with their cries and wails spoken in a dialect unlike any they had heard in life.

Meanwhile Méchanteau sat on the first stair of the palace and peeled the fruit film by film, trying to leave the pink red core intact. It was a little game from childhood. Admittedly it wasn't a very fun childhood. Arms and strings all tensed at once, ready to hail arrows on the first to come from the palace. The necromancer had given enough time, but what he needed now was a dynamic entry.

• Scared
The horde came in droves, scattered parts of a whole scrambling for what bodies and corpses they could find. He would call them maggots, but those didn't wear armor. His dagger made quick work of them however, as he leapt from his perch, sailing over Gerra's shoulder as he engaged. Heads were severed, bodies dismembered, and Traecon vented the frustrations of the day before into this approaching army.

Putting the dagger away to unsheath his sword, he dove even further into the masses in a battle-frenzy, a bit more focused on Bronze Claw ghouls, but still carving a path out of the palace. He had to conserve his trump card until the necromancer was visible. With each sweep of his sword, undead fell by threes and fours, separated and bisected thoroughly to prevent mobility. It was hell on his arm, but he could switch between. The palace halls were soon filled with flying bodies and limbs, as the swordsman literally swept his way out and into the entrance of the palace, overlooking the veritable swarm beyond.

His silvery eyes swept the horde, and pinpointed the leader (or so he hoped) in moments. It was doing a horrid job of hiding, and a splendid one of showing off.

Lo and behold, it was riding a smoldering undead elephant! Flair for dramatics and a giant showoff. Moreso than his would be contractor. Target acquired. The mist also drew in thicker and denser waves. He would have to finish it, but first, assistance.

"Over yonder! The elephant and that tacky one riding it! A bag of coins says that one's the figurehead of all this! Getup also looks too bland!"

Riling said figurehead up was also on the table.

• Yay
A shirt of chains rattled as he slid it over his black tunic and felt the familiar, comforting weight upon his shoulders. Gerra reached out and wrapped fingers around the hilt of the hammer Iben offered to him, then hefted a large oval-shaped shield of oxhide stretched over a wooden frame.

The Djinn walked until he stood at the lip of the palace stairs that led all the way down to the bottom of the step pyramid, where the seething horde was gathered.

Eager for the fray, the mercenary who swore allegiance only to coin cast himself down into the midst of the horde. Gerra watched him go, wondering what pushed the man to such deeds. Did he long so much for the glint of coin, or did he secretly yearn for a glorious death?

No matter.

The Abtati conquest of the city had been abnormally bloodless. The dead were outnumbered by the army of the living, but they were growing. Gerra did not know how many necromancers there were, nor how many each could animate with their magic. But magic was not limitless.

Even so, it would be better to put this insurrection of the dead down in its infancy.

He heard the snap of many bowstrings in a chorus, saw the shadows of the arrows grow, and held his shield before him. There came a clatter around him as arrows splintered or skipped off the stone floor. Several thudded into wood and hide of his shield. Beside him, an elf fell screaming, an arrow jutting from his stomach.

Would that he had a cohort of Molthal orcs in black steel with him, with interlocked shields and bristling with pikes. But he had left that life behind. The Abtati might not be able to form shield walls with the alacrity of a Molthal legion, but they had other skills. All across the palace, the sand elves appeared in the balconies, firing with their short bows, ducking behind cover, and then peeking out to fire again.

Arrows rained down upon the undead.

Around Gerra, the elders of the Abtati and the Marya nobles dispersed, seeking shelter in the throne room. Only Gerra, Achates, and Iben stood atop the stairs.

Mago had seemingly fled.

Atop the stairs, Gerra stood resolute as a statute. Unmoving. Defiant. Who were these beneath him but ants? He was not so glutted on conquest to be devoured by them. A stare that bore volcanic heat passed over the crowd of the dead below, even as Traecon fought among them like a whirlwind, searching.

"What do you see, Achates?"

Traecon Maxwell | Achates | RustySpork

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Traecon Maxwell
Seeing the undead made her skin crawl, it was terrible to have died and then to have your body desecrated and reanimated. She hoped that if and when she left this world her body would be cremated, and she would never become part of a necromancer’s army. The woman exhaled softly as she settled her mind, pushing the fears of death away saving them for the next battle after surviving this one. Gerra’s voice spoke to her as she didn’t look towards him, she only narrowed her eyes tapping into the senses she was blessed with.

Looking around, she watched the battle unfold. Arrows rained down on the corpses and slowing them. Some perished and went down, but the rest continued forward towards the palace. “Well the obvious, the undead…” She continued to look, while doing so she removed the hand crossbow from its home on her back. As she drew the bolt, she rubbed salt onto the weapon and paused.

“I found him. He’s at the bottom of the palace steps.” Without- another word, she took off racing down the palace stairs. Her bolt loaded she took aim, but realized she needed to get closer to make her attack effective.

Gerra RustySpork Traecon Maxwell