Private Tales The Broken Crown

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Alre Castielle

Once King
Character Biography
Link
Alliria - Delka Square

His head was spinning, his stomach turned, and everything in the world seemed more sour than it had been before. He felt like he was going to puke all over everything.

In truth, it was how he'd felt for months...maybe even years. He really wasn't sure at this point. Everything in his life had become blurry. Mostly because of the amount of drinking that he'd been doing. After his throne had been taken and everything had slipped away it seemed like the only logical thing to do, but now that he found himself here...he wasn't entirely sure.

The world seemed to be spinning, his stomach hurt.

"Fuck this." Alre said as he raised his hand and gently touched his head as though he could take his own temperature. He felt nothing but heat of course, the mugginess of Alliria preventing him from feeling any fever that might have been.

"I ju-" No one listened of course, to most he was a drunk, a vagrant on the street. "I just want it all back."

The once meant to be King blubbered to himself, tears welling in his eyes.

He was a truly pathetic sight.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Mariana
The iron of the city wasn't the easiest to live in. But she saw the discomfort as necessary penance. If the goddess willed her to be in this place. To serve her temple, then any suffering deemed necessary, was worth it. The high priestess had said as much. Even the constant pressure and fog the iron of the city had on her, seemed to vanish slightly on days like today.

These were market days.

The priestesses of the temple were given free reign of the city to wander the streets and offer aid where they could. Averey enjoyed the bite of salt in the air. The breeze from the water, even though muggy. She loved meeting the people. Serving them. And sharing all the goddess had to offer.

Pointed ear twitched as she said a small, nearly silent prayer beneath her lips. Scanning the crowd, she wore the pale lavender robes of her temple. Those of the city would know who she was; who she served. There were some that even flocked to her, pressed to see if they could touch the trail of her robe as she passed by.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Alre Castielle
Nuns.

He hated nuns.

They always thought that they were better than everyone, looked down on you and considered themselves high and mighty when they had no noble blood to speak of. He frowned slightly, looking up as he watched the unmistakable gait of a Priestess pass him by without so much as a second look.

Half a decade ago she would have bowed to him and called him 'your majesty', now thanks to his uncle he was little more than a beggar on the street. Fingers tightened around the neck of the wine bottle, his lips turning to a scowl.

"You think you're better than me!" Alre called out to the Elf woman drunkenly, his curmudgeony voice resounding over other sin the crowd. "You're not!"

He made an attempt to throw the bottle of wine at her, but it dropped limply to the ground and shattered. "Fuck."

Thad had been expensive.

• Haha
She paused, fair face turning toward the hooded man crouched along one of the tavern's outside walls. Some in the crowd murmured at the blatant disrespect by the drunk. Averey turned slowly, shaking her head gently at the others who were eager to jump to their priestess' defense.

She walked back toward the man and his sad, broken pile of glass and liquid that had the unmistakable putrid stench of alcohol. Sandaled feet, paused before him and she knelt to his level, not minding if the edges of her crisp robe soaked up that alcohol.

"Sir, do you need any help?"

She'd ignored contradicting him on his shout from earlier. She thought it an absolutely ridiculous accusation.

• Thoughtful
"No!" That definitely wasn't true.

The wine did stain her robe, there wasn't really any avoiding that. He glared at her for a few moments, lips thinning as though he wasn't entirely sure what her motivations could possibly be. Women like her were always...judging.

"I don't need help." Alre slurred. "No one helps me."

His hand came up and he pointed a finger at her. "I help mys-."

A hiccup passed through his throat.

"-Elf." He finished off, his head lulling a bit. Perhaps that Wine had been a bit stronger than he'd thought.

• Haha
"Hmm, I can see that," she said softly. That same gentle-lilt in her voice. Curly hair framed the side of her face. Most of those who had been gawking were beginning to move on. Losing interest.

If he was sober he might notice there was no judgement in her eyes. Just concern.

"Do you have a place to stay or are you living on the streets?"

• Bless
"I'd have a bloody fucking Kingdom if it wasn't for people like you." Alre pointed an accusatory finger at the woman.

There was anger in his tone, though in truth it wasn't really directed at her. He didn't know where else to put it. Logic said that it wasn't her fault, that she couldn't be blamed for it, but...Alre was angry. Angry and drunk beyond belief.

His scowl deepened.

"Fucking Innkeep kicked me out." Alre grimaced. "Said I hadn't paid my bill."

Though he could swear he had.

Greedy bastard.

• Wonder
"I see," voice was quiet, wide-eyes looking the drunk slowly up and down. His slumped shoulders. That pointed finger. It was hard to see past the shadow of his cowl. "Well," she breathed and slowly rose.

"The temple of the goddess offers a safe place to rest for all those in need. You may join me if you wish. If not...," voice trailed off. "It's the temple on the northeast side of this square. If you change your mind, you only need to say my name and the acolytes will show you to a bed."

She dipped her head in greeting, a hand coming to her chest, fist curled slightly there.

"I'm Averey."

• Bless
He grumbled, not giving a name. Eyes glanced around to see if anyone was watching, though predictably no one really gave a shit.

Alliria was full of drunks like him, full of men who were wasting their lives away with doing nothing important in particular. It wasn't something that was ever really acknowledged or talked about, not something most people would even ever see.

Yet here he was. "Fine."

Alre grumbled, though he did not give his own name. Yet the gnawing hunger at his stomach, the pain that ate away at him was more than enough to make him move.

A bed would be good too.

"I'll come." The Once King grumbled.

• Haha
"Very well," another dip of her chin in the man's direction. While others might just see another drunk. A wasteful body on the street not contributing to society. Or not worth their time, Averey saw another created by the goddess. One that had potential.

Turning, her sandaled feet walked at a pace he would be able to keep up, not needing to really weave through the throngs of crowd. Most stepped out of the way. Some dipped their head in respect.

"Have you ever been inside one of our temples before?"

• Popcorn
Why was he doing this? It seemed foolish, so goddamned foolish. The priestess and her ilk were likely just to lecture him about the evils of drinking and how he should devote himself to the worship of the gods. That was what they always said.

At least back home they had. "I've seen them."

He stated flatly, still somewhat off put by all of this clearly. Fingers tightened for a brief moment and he took a deep breath. His walk was still rather unsteady, Alre swinging slightly from side to side as he moved through the streets behind Averey.

"They're fine." He told her.

• Wonder
proxy.php

proxy.php

She wondered which ones he'd seen before. There were many gods and goddesses of the land. Their courts of the order she belonged to were summer, spring, winter, fall, day, and night. This was the Goddess of the Night. One of her many temples across the land. They would enter a large, ornate carved set of double doors and immediately be cocooned in a quieter sound. There were robed worshippers and other milling about the main worship room. Averey would bring the drunken stranger slowly through the corridors.

The young priestess finally paused and turned to him, pointing to a long-stone corridor with flickering torchlight and star and moon patterns splattered across the walls down. Simple doors without locks were on either side and they each opened to an area with a single bed, simple desk, chair, and wash basin.

"You will be safe here and can stay as long as you need. Meals are served together in the main hall. I have some other business to attend to. Is there anything else you need?"

• Cthulhoo rage
Alre looked around the Temple.

He had seen riches like these before of course, when he'd been younger. Even drunk though he could still gaze at the splendor of it all. There was something...nice, about being back in the middle of all these riches. It reminded him of where he should have been.

"Communal meals?" He tried not to sound disgusted. Wait no, he didn't try at all. THe idea of eating with others was...well it reminded him of those moments just after he'd been thrown from the Kingdom.

Head shook. "No."

Alre said with a scowl.

"I need nothing else." The once King let out a sigh as he looked at the Simple room before him. "I'll be fine."

• Popcorn
Brows rose along her pale skin at his blatant disgust. "Would you rather brood and eat in your room alone? Perhaps it would do you well to meet some others instead of drowning your sorrows in a bottle."

Hands clasped behind her back.

"Perhaps I'll see you there." A genuine, small smile in his direction as she turned to go.

She would be serving the meal later, so if he came, he would indeed, see the priestess there.

• Popcorn
He grumbled quietly.

There were few things he wanted to do in this life anymore, few things that weren't drinking anyway. The bottle let him forget, let him stop his mind from roaming to a thousand different places about what he should have and where he should be.

Yet the Priestesses words clung to his mind.

A heavy sigh escaped him, and as she left he already knew that he would go to that dinner. He was only seventeen, young, a pup by the words of his Warder, but he was already more worn than a thousand other men.

Still, he decided to go.

When the meal came Alre joined the others. He tried not to plug his nose of the smell, but rather lingered in the back of the room. He did not move forward and kept his hood drawn, watching those around him with scrunched fingers.

• Bless
There were fresh, baked breads. A hearty stew and a bowl of leafy, fresh greens from the sprint court's garden on loan. Averey was helping to ladle the stew into bowls as those seeking refuge within their walls lined up with held-out trays. For some, it was the first meal they'd had in a long time.

Heart squeezed in her chest.

No matter how often she did this, she was still moved by their hunger. Grateful that they could offer them something. Eyes like starlight flickered to the man from this afternoon. He'd never given her his name and she didn't press him. She could tell he was quite young. All humans were.

One of the other priestesses broke her attention, whispering in her ear. Her eyes widened and for a moment, there was a tremble from her fingers curled around the ladle.

"Not here," she whispered to the other woman and passed off the serving job to another as she excused herself to follow her fellow priestess into a small, alcove. "How many bodies did they find?"

• Popcorn
Alre didn't get food immediately, mostly because he couldn't actually stomach doing so. He was hungry, but charity was...well charity wasn't something he took. It was something that he gave. He was supposed to have been a King, a man of means.

Yet here he was.

The once King took in a deep breath and made his way towards one of the far walls, leaning against it as he surveyed the rest of the room and watched those that were eating. He didn't intend to move, at least not for a while.

That changed when two of the Priestesses stepped away and towards him.

Alre shifted, and then hid himself in a small bit of the wall that allowed him to remain unseen. He did not know why he did it, but as he heard the word "Bodies" he couldn't help but feel his chest tighten slightly.

Had someone gotten killed? He frowned and listened more closely.

• Popcorn
"...they've found five so far. All priestesses," the young, human woman had a worry glint in her eyes and she looked around nervously before her attention fell back to Averey.

"Just. Slaughtered. Can you believe it? No demands. They ransacked the temple but it doesn't look like they took anything." Averey reached out a hand, fingers curling around her fellow young woman's wrist. A light touch. Comforting. Stilling. Or so she hoped. As the frown tugged on her own lips.

"What of those taking refuge?"

"Mostly unharmed. Some slaughtered with the priestesses but only perhaps because they got in the way." A shrug along the woman's shoulders. Averey's frown deepened. It didn't make sense. It wasn't a simple robbery job. And this was the third temple she'd hard of left this way. One fall temple. One spring temple. And still, no guidance from the elders.

"Well," she breathed finally. "Goddess protect us. Carry on as normal. Tell the others to be on alert." The human woman nodded and hurried off. Averey pushed the heels of her palms against her eyes. Thinking. Temporarily closing out the sounds and distractions in the room.

• Popcorn
Alre stepped out of the Alcove just as the human Priestess moved away.

He tried to keep a face of innocents, something that he'd always thought he was quite good at. The Maids back home had never suspected him of any of the pranks he'd pulled, and his father...when he'd been alive, had always thought him innocent.

The Once King thought that might come in handy here. "Hello there, Priestess."

Now that he was sober Alre couldn't quite recall if he had managed to catch her name or not. He was pretty sure he hadn't, but using the title of her station would likely work just as well in a situation like this.

"I couldn't help but overhear of your predicament." That seemed like somewhat of an understatement. "Do you mind if I ask where this happened?"

He tried to keep that innocent look. "I'm worried about the people here."

Alre wasn't.

• Sip
She'd heard him. Heard him approaching. The sound of his heartbeat in his chest.

Half elven genes were to thank for that.

Still, she couldn't help but sigh into her hands as she dragged them clear of her face. Serene gaze turned to the human man. Young man.

A look on her face that read she wasn't buying it.

"I don't mind any of your questions," she mused quietly. "But that doesn't mean you'll be provided with answers." Rey turned to walk away. "You should eat something. Rest." There was an underlying edge beneath her tone. A worry.

While he could.

Her thoughts kept churning on the news. She already had an idea what was going on. But she didn't know the why. And she knew they were all in danger here. She just didn't know the when. Would they strike this temple tonight? It would be foolish to strike the temple of the night at night but...

There had already been too many deaths. Whoever was doing this made it clear they didn't mind taking risks.

• Popcorn
He frowned for a brief moment, looking at the woman with no small amount of consternation. A part of him was not entirely sure just what to say to her.

Back home he could have demanded answers, simply threatened execution or time in prison. Now though? Well now that wasn't exactly possible. He had no authority, no power. All that he had was the sword sitting back in the room she'd shown him.

"Look." Alre knew that he was young, barely past his seventeeth nameday. There was a reason that his Uncle had been able to do what he did.

"I can help." He offered. "If people are getting killed someone needs to do something."

Someone who had to build his reputation.

Someone who had to make sure his name and title spread to the people. Someone who wanted his crown back.

• Haha
Sandaled feet paused and she whirled to him. Though he was far younger than her, he was certainly taller. "Help?" She frowned, scrutiny in her intense and sobering gaze.

She sighed and said a silent prayer.

Goddess help her.

"How much of the conversation did you hear?" She had to know. And she wasn't sure if she should tell him more. Her suspicions. She didn't want to cause panic in the others. And he'd given no indication that he could be trusted beyond nursing a bottle.

• Thoughtful
"Enough." He had heard about multiple murders, but that was really about it. He was hoping he could bluff his way through most of this conversation.

When his father had died and his Uncle had made his move for the Kingdom it had been with the express hope to kill Alre in the middle of the night. Thanks to no small amount of luck and the help of some friends he had made it out of Kislyth, but...well with none of the trappings of a King.

Many thought him dead, and the reputation upheld by his father would sit quiet and silent until he could prove that false.

This...situation, would be a good way of doing that. "Dethroned Heir saves Temple of Priestesses and Refugees". That sounded like a rumor that would get around, one that made him look good, very good.

It was a first step to regaining his crown, and all he had to do was kill a few...bandits.

Probably.

• Haha
“We do not answer violence for violence in this temple,” Averey replied calmly as if she could read into the yoUng man’s mind. It’s how they’d been taught. How she’d been raised, left on the doorstep of the temple to serve. She’d been so young. Left here by her parents who she couldNt even remember.

The temple had taken her in.She’d become their ward. The older priestesses had raised her. And the elders.

But she had to admit that if faced with someone who wanted to do her harm. Her sisters harm. She didn’t know if she could passively do nothing. If she would let anyone hurt them.

• Popcorn
Alre blinked. "So what...you're gonna stand here and get murdered?"

Perhaps a rather...harsh rebuke, but also the only one that he could really think to give her. When it came to murder and slaughter there was really only one way to answer. When someone came at you with a sword, you needed a sword to bat them away.

That was simple logic, any fool could reason that one out.

"Look Sister, err Priestess." 'Sister', was the title used by those women who had sworn themselves to the gods back in Kislyth. "I'm not saying I'll go out and murder people to find out who did this, just..."

He shrugged. "Deal with them in the way they would deal with you."

• Thoughtful