Open Chronicles The Aspiring Apprentice

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Amelia Rowe

Blacksmith Apprentice
Character Biography
Link
Growing up in such a small town, working for the blacksmith to make fishhooks and doorknobs, Amelia always dreamed of becoming a blacksmith in the city of Alliria. One day, she believes, she'll be selling her crafts to the greatest heroes. But before that, she needs to find a proper blacksmith to apprentice under. Of course, she'd never been to such a big city before. Perhaps it was inevitable she'd end up lost...

Amelia slows her pace to a halt at the fork in the road and bites her lip. The kindly old lady said she could find a blacksmith somewhere on this side of Alliria. But apparently, she’d taken a wrong turn somewhere along the way.

She’s somehow wound up in a completely different part of town. Probably a good several blocks away from where she’s supposed to be. She bites her lip and inches backward. She just has to retrace her steps back to the gates and try this whole thing again. Preferably before nightfall.

• Popcorn
  • Yay
Reactions: Urchin and Riot
"Wraiths... Lycans... Dryads..."

The voice was hushed and focused, carrying softly across the shelves and dusty old tomes that lined them. The once pristine library that would likely have brought so many aspiring minds to the streets of Alliria back when the city had a more stable reputation almost seemed a mockery of what it had once been. Oh, all of the books were still here, waiting for curious minds to seek them out and indulge in their knowledge. The building itself though had been a sad sight to see; with the conflict Alliria was so constantly soaked incame a great drought of traffic to this part of town, and without the constant stream of visitors to motivate the old fellow who ran the place to keep things tidy, it had fallen into disrepair.

It has been a shock to the white-haired elf rifling through the pages of a section of books in a cobweb-laden corner, dimly lit and cold with the breeze that ran through a badly insulated window built into the stone wall.That what he'd found was a shadow of what it had once been. A shame, really... but he still had to get what he came for. Thin layer of dust on the floor or not, this was the most likely spot he could find information on the type of creature he sought. The entire back shelf was laden with information on all manner of magical creatures and the knowledge gathered on them, and on his fourteenth book, he found what he was looking for at last. "There we are, Pookas! Knew it had to be around here somewhere."

Varys San' Seya was quite familiar with Pookas. Perhaps a bit more intimately than most, having slept with one for a year or so. That Pooka was not linked to him, however, but was bound to another. It was a tragedy, but when the time came to leave his Master and go out into the world on his own, so too was he forced to leave behind the creature he'd loved. Varys had taken it hard, but time healed wounds, and the Elf had moved on. Now, he worried only about his own mastery of his craft. Every day he grew stronger, and in time he aimed to be one of the most powerful mages in all of Arethil.

So why was he here in Alliria, digging up information on Pookas? Well, it certainly wasn't to summon his own and try his hand at another bit of romance. Rather, he'd been hired to take care of a problem pooka that was terrorizing a small trading village just east of the city. They weren't usually creatures of pure unadulterated violence, so Varys had a suspicion there was more to this rampage than met the eye. Hopefully, this book would hold answers.

Closing it, he took a look for the old coot who ran the place. Varys swore he'd been here when he entered, but he was nowhere to be found now that he actually wanted to talk to him. The young man rolled his eyes, growling just a tad at his luck. He didn't have time for this; people were in trouble down there, and while Varys was getting paid, he did have a legitimate concern for every man, woman, and child in that poor village. No, he couldn't wait. Reaching into his jacket, he places a large sack of coin on the front counter, pushing the door open and taking the book with him out onto the streets of Alliria. There was still the matter of actually fighting the pooka... Varys' magic was powerful, but pookas were beings of magic themselves. It'd be much better if he could find a sellsword... or somebody willing to lend a hand. Then again, he likely couldn't leave until tomorrow. It was a day's trip after all.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Urchin
“Excuse me…” Amelia weakly tries to get one stranger’s attention, but they ignore her. She runs a hand through her hair and sighs. People were a lot friendlier back home. Maybe it’s just because they all had a chance to get to know each other. She doubts she’ll get the same opportunity here.

The creaking of an old door draws her attention to the right, just in time to see a stranger emerge from a store of some kind. This one’s an Elf! Elves are nice, right? Granted she’d only met a couple before, and this one looks a little less welcoming, but he can’t be any less friendly than the last two strangers she tried talking to.

Amelia smiles her most endearing smile and walks up to the Elf. “Excuse me,” she says, a little louder this time. “I seem to be a little lost, can you help me, please?”

• Bless
Varys' attention shifts as he hears a woman's voice approaching him almost the moment he emerges out onto the streets of Alliria. Varys wasn't exactly loved in Alliria; he'd made his fair share of enemies in the past throughout the entirety of Arethil, so he tended to be nervous about encounters with strangers regardless of intent. Even so, the brief tensing of his muscles and dilating of his eyes seemed to wane when he saw what looked to be little more than a demure human woman making her way to his side.

Tucking the book he'd purchased under his arm, his hands slid into the pockets of his jacket. His golden eyes locked wandered over the young brunette for a moment before he responded. "Alliria is a shoddy place to get lost in, big as it is. New to the whole travelling thing?" He seemed to tease her, but at the same time offered her a bit of a smile. "Nah, I get it. Where are you headed? I've got a little bit of time, I suppose."

He really shouldn't have been playing tour guide, but he didn't want to leave the poor thing alone and lost in a city this big.

• Bless
Amelia’s smile relaxes into a more genuine one. Finally, someone that's willing to help her. She scratches the back of her head and laughs awkwardly. “Y-yeah, you could say that. This is sort of my first time away from home, err, this far away from home I mean.” She scolds herself for making herself sound like a complete novice, even if she kind of is.

She looks to the left and then to the right. “Well where I’m really headed is for a good blacksmith. I heard there’s one in the Outer City. For now, though, I’d be happy to find my way back to one of the main roads.” She glances over her shoulder. “I guess I took a wrong turn somewhere.”

• Bless
Fresh off a job, in need of a drink, and still fully armored. Yup, Tinus was getting some stares. His armor made the soft clink it always did when he walked so casually down a paved street. He was coming from the shallows and he still had a hand on the hilts of his shortsword and dagger. Place was shady and dangerous. Something he had been told about and had the misfortune of getting to see first hand.

But he was away from the thug around every corner in need of a good wack in the face and now back into the city proper. It was the outer city so still needed to keep a cautious eye on the shadows but at least now there was active patrols going around instead of just guards on their way to raid a particular gang or group.

The best part was the smell for him. Less disease ripening filth tossed into the street so wastefully and more wood smoke and cooking meals.....

Grrrrrrrrrrrooooooooohhhhhhhhhhlllee!

The armored man got a look from a passerby. His stomach had growled rather loudly. So in need of a meal AND a drink it seemed. Hopefully these people were good cooks. Nothing he hated more than wasting food by not making it taste decent. Not like it took much more than a little care and herbs. He wasn't asking for something he would cook back home. It was doubtful they even had the proper goods for it. People outside of Kelon had a bad habit of under-appreciating their meals as a general whole. No one knew how to bake a potato properly more often than not as well. Always too firm still from under cooking or too mushy from over cooking with too much butter or oil or cheese added to it to cover up for the me-

Tinus' had become to focused on his thoughts of food in his hunger that he accidentally bumped into someone. His faceless helmet looked to see who it was he had so rudely assaulted with his general being. A girl. Well more a young woman. Regardless, he had done something he shouldn't have here.

"Apologizes. Didn't notice you." Tinus said from behind his helm. He looked over and noticed she had a companion. An elf man. Had he interrupted something casual or more intimate just now? Hard to tell with elves. Man could be in his 20s or his 200s and it would have been impossible to know which until he revealed it. But from the book in his hand and the general air about them he would guess it was casual.

His attention went back to the young woman. He slipped his hand into his pouch and pulled out a couple of silver coins. It was held out for her to take. "For the trouble."

Amelia Rowe Varys San'Seya

• Bless
Amelia lurches when something bumps into her from behind, almost stumbling forward into the friendly elf stranger. Just barely catching herself before collision. She steps back and spins around. Her eyes widened a bit at the armored stranger. "Oh, it's, no trouble."

She glances at the offered silver and blinks. Her coin purse isn't exactly overflowing... She shakes her head. "That's, not necessary. There was no harm done!"

• Bless
Urchin gave a jolly little whistle as he walked through the streets. It was a pleasant morning and he was rather enjoying the clear blue skies, the crisp morning breeze and the harmonious tweeting of the surrounding birds. Still, something was missing... What was it? For a few seconds he tried to figure out until the growling of his stomach gave him a clue. Breakfast!

Yes, this was certainly a morning for a nice breakfast. A big one! Eggs and bacon and sausage and toast with butter! And orange juice! Yes, that would certainly make the morning perfect. Reaching into his pocket though, he soon found that he was a few coppers short of a full breakfast... Or any kind of breakfast really. Damn. He would have to remedy that.

Luckily, he saw just the thing! A man accidentally crashing into a woman and offering her coin as recompense. The lady politely refused... Well, she might not want the money, but Urchin certainly wasn't about to refuse such a generous offer. Luckily, the lad had seen where the man had taken the coins from, so knew exactly where the coin purse was. Hopefully, where those coins had come from, there was more to be had. While the conversation continued, Urchin walked passed the trio, gently nudging into the armoured man as he did so. "Sorry, Sir," the lad apologised with a bow... But of course it had been no accident at all. He had only bumped into the man as a way to get closer to his coin pouch.

Of course, Urchin had plenty of experience with the fine art of pick-pocketry. And his fingers were so tiny and light that the vast majority of his victims never even felt a thing. While covering his actions with a polite bow, the lad slipped his little pocket knife from his sleeve and cut the strings of the coin pouch, catching it before it could hit the ground. All that happened in the time it took the boy to apologise and once his respectful little bow was over, he turned around, careful to conceal the coin pouch in his hand at all times.

Hurray! Time for breakfast!

Last edited:
Varys raised an eyebrow. This little thing was looking for a blacksmith? Small as she was, he had some doubts she could even lift a blade, let alone use one in battle. Then again, he'd learned a long time ago that appearances could be very deceiving. Best not to look past her. He brushed some hair from his face and nodded. "Well, we can do that. Come on, follow me. The name is Varys by the way, Varys San'Se--" He was interrupted by the woman being shoved into his arms by a rather large figure approaching from behind.

What a figure he was, too. It wasn't uncommon to see armored folk in Alliria, but stumbling around so absent-mindedly? He surely wasn't a normal soldier. Varys gently patted the young woman's arm before letting her go, looking up at the ominous figure with a rather unimpressed raised brow as he offered the girl a pittance of coin to make up for the accidental contact. Compared to most elves, Varys was both unusually young and older than most elves get. In truth, he was on his second body, past the lifespan of a normal elf. That was a much longer story.

"Take the coins, Miss." He murmured from behind her. "Now isn't the time to turn your nose up at charity." At first, he only paid the second passer-by a glance. What was it with people bumping into each other right now? This wasn't exactly a narrow road. As the younger man trotted away though, a flash of something shimmering hit Varys' eye. The young mage narrowed his eyes, following the boy with his gaze. "Miss, we really should be going. I don't wish to stay in this part of town much longer. There seem to be a number of pickpockets about..."

He flicked his gaze to the armored man. "Hope you didn't have too much."

• Scared
Amelia smiled at Varys and started to follow him. “My names-“ She was cut off by the arrival of the armored stranger. She glanced back at Varys and raised an eyebrow. “He just bumped into me, I can’t take his coins for that,” she whispered back, not at all quiet enough for people to not overhear.

She glanced at the boy as he bumped into the stranger. Guess it’s just something that happens in big cities like this. She didn’t see anything off about it, that is, until Varys spoke up again. Her eyes widened. “Huh!? You mean that boy was a pickpocket!” Her eyes widened when she realized how loudly she’d said that. She immediately shut her mouth.

• Scared
The girl was hesitant in taking the offered coins and the gentleman with her was advising she should. It wasn't much, but it would seem the girl was in need of coin. Then his offer was all the better and would prove more useful than originally thought.

When the young man bumped into him, Tinus became suspicious. While he had accidentally bumped into the girl earlier it had been from an innocent angle. The area the boy had bumped him was close to his coin purse and the little bow after was too obvious in its purpose. Even as the boy was getting the purse string cut, Tinus was reaching his hand out to grab him by the shoulder.

Hopefully the boy wasn't paying attention and he could grip him like a vice. If not he was prepared to run after or injure the boy. Theft was a very serious crime to a Kel after all and the only mercy the boy would get would be for his age.

"Stop." Tinus said in that weirdly poetic and play like accent of the Kel.

Then the older man mentioned the pickpocketing attempt. Good. Tinus wasn't mistaken and wouldn't need to offer an apology after all.

Amelia Rowe Varys San'Seya Urchin

• Scared
There seem to be a number of pickpockets about..."
“Huh!? You mean that boy was a pickpocket!”

"Uh..." the lad mumbled awkwardly as the armoured stranger grabbed him by the shoulder... Well, fuck. Looks like he could kiss his breakfast goodbye. Well, no point in trying to deny it. He had already cut the purse strings and the coin pouch was in his hand. Pretty difficult situation to explain your way out of. "... You dropped this?" the lad said as he held the coin purse up, offering it back to his rightful owner.

Obviously, not a one of them was going to believe him considering the elven man had already seen him steal the money, but all the same, Urchin put on his best puppy-eyed starving orphan face in the hopes of garnering sympathy as he looked back and forth between the three of them, particularly seeking eye contact from the pretty young woman. Women tended to have softer hearts than men in Urchin's experience. Maybe if he could get the lady to feel sorry for him, she might beg mercy from the big, armoured man on his behalf.

Amelia met the boy's gaze and softened up. Her body losing any rigidness she’d gained earlier. “You were clearly stealing that…” she mumbled, despite not seeing it herself. She trusted Varys and the stranger wouldn’t accuse without reason, and the boy certainly looked like he’d done it. But the poor thing, he must be starving. She sighed. “But we can’t turn him over to the guards. I mean, it's not like he succeeded, right?”

• Bless
Varys would have chastised Amelia if he knew the trust she was placing in him. It was a dangerous thing, trusting strangers in a big city like this. The thief boy's actions just now were a very good lesson in that. Varys could have just as easily aimed to lead her to seclusion before doing whatever he saw fit with her. She was lucky he didn't have any interest in such reprehensible behavior.

Even so...

He had even less interest in being in the middle of a squabble between a pickpocket and who appeared to be a knight, or perhaps a soldier. There was nothing here for Varys, and daylight was quickly burning. Tucking the book snugly under his arm, he bows towards Amelia. "I try to make myself scarce when trouble is brewing, Miss Amelia. I'm heading to the main road. Follow me if you wish. I don't think we should be inserting ourselves in this business...

He felt for her, lost and in an unfamiliar place. A part of him wondered if he wasn't being cold, rushing on ahead like he was. It just seemed that every time he stuck his neck out for somebody it ended in more trouble than it was worth. He did cast a glance to them, raising an eyebrow.

"You. Street kid."

If Urchin looked fast enough, he would see the elf toss him a small handful of gold coins in a small rag.

"The bump technique isn't nearly as consistent as it looks. You wanna steal a coin pouch in a situation like that? Take a needle and rip a small hole in the bottom, catch it as it pours out." The elf, who was in fact a former street urchin himself, shot the boy a wink.

"Don't be too hard on him, eh?"

Amelia Rowe Urchin Tinus Damos

This boy was making several mistakes as Tinus' grip tightened. With his free hand he took his coin purse back from the boy, but kept his mask firmly focused on him. The girl and the elf both were being far too sympathetic. She had fallen for his trick of acting helpless. The elf was giving the kid advise on how to be a better thief. All of it just served to stir up his anger even more.

"Theft and lies are grave sins." Tinus said looking at the boy. He turned to look at the girl and the elf next. "Letting him get away such acts corrodes away one's soul like rust does iron. Giving him tips will lead him to a violent end. What you do is not kindness nor mercy. It is stripping him of a chance for reflecting and improving himself for the better."

Then he turned his attention back to the boy. His hand still firmly gripping. The rag full of coins still laid where the elf had thrown it, but Tinus had paid it no mind. Instead he was focused on making sure this boy paid properly for his actions.

"Why did you steal? Why did you lie?" Tinus asked. Whatever expression he might have held in the moment locked away hidden behind his mask.

Urchin Amelia Rowe Varys San'Seya

“You were clearly stealing that…”
Oops... Maybe trying to play innocent wasn't the smartest move. This lady was obviously not having any of it.

“But we can’t turn him over to the guards. I mean, it's not like he succeeded, right?”

"Yeah, exactly!" he replied, glad that the kind lady didn't want to see him punished, even if he was guilty. "I'm sorry, it were a mistake. Ain't like I would've gotten away with it anyhow. Ain't neve done nothin' like this before, I swear!" More lies of course. He was actually extremely good at what he did. But even the best thieves got caught from time to time if a sharp set of eyes fell on them quickly enough.

"The bump technique isn't nearly as consistent as it looks. You wanna steal a coin pouch in a situation like that? Take a needle and rip a small hole in the bottom, catch it as it pours out."

Oh wow, a kindred spirit! No wonder the elf had caught him, he obviously knew the tricks of the trade. Now, if Urchin wasn't still trying to play the innocent starving orphan, he might have mentioned that his hands were a bit too small for the cutting the purse and catching the coin trick, since some of the coins might slip through his fingers and hit the ground, which would make a noise and alert the mark's attention. Instead, he just looked at the rag of coins that the elf had tossed him. "Oh, wow! Thanks, Mr. Yer a real saint! Honest, I really appreciate... 'Ey!" But when the boy reached to pick up the coins, it seemed that his victim was in no hurry to let him go. He'd assumed that since the other two had decided to let the boy off the hook, his target would as well... Looks like he'd thought wrong.

"Letting him get away such acts corrodes away one's soul like rust does iron. Giving him tips will lead him to a violent end. What you do is not kindness nor mercy. It is stripping him of a chance for reflecting and improving himself for the better."

Oh dear, the guy was one of those. Probably a religious type who thought that crimes could only be paid for with repentance and punishment... Not the most fun people to meet at parties.

"Why did you steal? Why did you lie?"

Well, it looked like he wasn't going to be able to lie his way out of this situation. Perhaps the truth might aid him for once. "I was 'ungry!" he protested, which was certainly true. Theft paid for his bread and butter and he'd certainly have starved to death by now if he'd relied on begging. "An' I only lied 'cos I didn't wanna get inta trouble. Please sir, I'm real sorry. I wun do it again, honest!" Well, at least the first two comments were true. The third was a blatant lie, he would most certainly steal again. After all, it was the only way he knew how to make a living.

• Yay
Reactions: Amelia Rowe
He had even less interest in being in the middle of a squabble between a pickpocket and who appeared to be a knight, or perhaps a soldier. There was nothing here for Varys, and daylight was quickly burning. Tucking the book snugly under his arm, he bows towards Amelia. "I try to make myself scarce when trouble is brewing, Miss Amelia. I'm heading to the main road. Follow me if you wish. I don't think we should be inserting ourselves in this business...
Amelia’s eyes widened at her impromptu guide’s announcement. She couldn’t lose her best chance to make it back to the main road safely. Albeit the fact that he knew how to pickpocket made her the slightest bit concerned that he might run off with her coin purse. But he wouldn’t do that, right? He gave her his name, after all, a thief wouldn’t do that! Unless that wasn’t his real name...

She shook her head and hurried after him. “H-hey, wait up!” Lingering behind when she overheard the exchange that followed between him and the armored stranger.
"Theft and lies are grave sins." Tinus said looking at the boy. He turned to look at the girl and the elf next. "Letting him get away such acts corrodes away one's soul like rust does iron. Giving him tips will lead him to a violent end. What you do is not kindness nor mercy. It is stripping him of a chance for reflecting and improving himself for the better."

Amelia grimaced. She understood him being upset. The boy did try to rob him after all, but it’s not he did it maliciously! The poor thing just wanted to eat. “Err, I agree that stealing and lying are wrong…” She trailed off, not knowing how to continue without upsetting him further. Her eyes drifted the coins Varys had just tossed to the would-be thief.

She bit her lip. The boy might not want to give up some of his newly gotten coins, but it might be better than whatever the warrior had in mind. Against her better judgment, she spoke up, even as she tried to follow Varys. “What about paying a fine? Would that suffice as punishment?”

Varys San' Seya Tinus Damos Urchin

• Bless
Varys had been perfectly content to leave the situation to those two. It was their business anyways, wasn't it? He had a village to be saving, real hero stuff. He'd learned a long time ago what good came out of sticking your nose in other people's business. Amelia seemed to follow suit, trotting along after him. He was glad, he'd hate to see her get involved in some petty dispute. She seemed innocent enough that he didn't think she much deserved to get wrapped up in trouble.

Once it seemed clear that the big fellow had no intention of letting the little street urchin go though, Varys stopped in his tracks, turning his head to look back at the two of them. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't just a wee bit biased towards the kid, having been in his shoes for much of his early life. Needless to say, his eyes narrowed at the armored fellow. Was he going to have to step in here? His fists tightened a bit, an eyebrow raising.

"Hey big n' heavy." He called back to the pair, specifically the big man. "This really a fight worth picking? A kid? Let him learn from the mistake, please." It was dangerous to use them in the confines of a city, but if needed Varys was more than willing to use his powers to help Urchin escape.

He shoots Urchin a quick glance. Who the hell tries to rob a guy in a full suit of armor? Honestly, he deserved what could have been headed his way. "Kid, I gave you enough money to last a few days in gold. You're gonna donate some to the orphanage in town before you buy yourself some food. I'll know if you didn't." These knight-types were real big on good deeds, weren't they? He tilted his head to the larger man. "How about that? Alms for the poor in exchange for a pass?"

Tinus kept his eyes on the boy while the other two and the boy bargained and tried to reason with him. What exactly were they all expecting him to do to the boy? Run a blade through his gut? No, that wasn't his or his people's way of handling this sort of thing. The boy was as much a victim here as Tinus himself. The boy's people and culture had failed him and left him hungry on the streets. Turning to theft and lies to survive was the only way he saw to get by. He would not execute the boy or severely beat him for his own having failed him.

But he also wasn't about to let making such wrong choices go unpunished just for him to be encouraged to do them again only a little better next time either. If his own wouldn't teach the boy properly then he would just have to do that himself. And the kindest lessons were not always the nicest ones.

First he needed to address the wrong line of thinking from those gathered or the lesson wouldn't stick. So he said with his focus still mostly on the boy the young woman, "How is he suppose to pay a fine for theft? Going into debt borrowing the coin from someone else or even more stealing?"

Then he turned his attention over to address the elf. "You have fed him for a day. Congratulations. What about tomorrow and the next? He is one of those same poor in need of a meal. Sharing is one of the most important aspects of life, but he can't afford to feed another if he is already starving himself."

And finally his attention was onto the boy completely. "Stop lying. I understand hunger. It is no excuse for stealing. There is free food on the beach. Shellfish, crabs, and seaweed. It takes work to gather and cook but it is honest. You decided to steal because it is less work. Look where your laziness got you today. Now you will have to be punished instead of rewarded."

Then Tinus looked over at the other two once more. "Take your coin and give it to the orphans. His punishment will be me putting him to work so he can earn his breakfast, which I'll pay for myself. I'm not going to give him a rabbit. I'm going to teach him how to hunt one."

Urchin Amelia Rowe Varys San'Seya

“What about paying a fine? Would that suffice as punishment?”

"I could do that!" Urchin agreed readily, turning back to the armoured man. "Ya can take these here coins what the nice man gave me. That oughta make up fer the trouble, right?" Unfortunately for Urchin, this man didn't seem to be looking for some way to benefit from the situation, he actually wanted to do what was right... Damn.

"This really a fight worth picking? A kid? Let him learn from the mistake, please."

Now this guy Urchin liked. He got it! Not that the armoured man was that bad though. He'd received a few nasty beatings in his time from disgruntled victims he'd tried to rob. This man was just a bit too moral for Urchin's liking. He wanted the boy to see the error of his ways... That wasn't going to happen any time soon. It's not that Urchin didn't understand that stealing was wrong, he just didn't care any more. For a long time it had been his only means of survival. By now he had the talent to make an almost decent living out of it. It was all he knew. His world revolved around crime and everyone he knew benefitted from it in some way or another. He wasn't about to abandon everything and everyone he knew just because some knight in shining armour had wagged his finger at him.

"Kid, I gave you enough money to last a few days in gold. You're gonna donate some to the orphanage in town before you buy yourself some food. I'll know if you didn't."

Now that seemed like a reasonable request! ... Surprisingly, Urchin actually spat on the ground at the idea. "I ain't givin' a soddin' copper ta them degenerate bastard. No chance in the seven 'ells!" ... A surprising reaction no doubt. It took a few seconds before Urchin realised that these good people probably had no idea why he felt so strongly about the matter. "Uh... No offense meant or nuthin', but you'd understand if ya 'eard the stories 'bout that place what I 'eard. Just consider m'self lucky I ain't never ended up in that cesspit. From what I 'ear, the lucky ones end up gettin' rented out ta the local factories an' chimney sweeps. Not that they ever see a damn coin for their troubles. All goes ta pay fer room an' board. But the unlucky ones... Well... I 'eard that some nights they gets paid a visit from representatives o' some Vampire Lord down in Falwood. In the mornin' some o' the kids are gone, an' the rest get told they was adopted... That's what I been told, anyhow." Whether or not it was true or just an old wive's tale used to deter the street kids from seeking refuge there seemed to be up for debate, but Urchin certainly believed it.

"Stop lying. I understand hunger. It is no excuse for stealing. There is free food on the beach. Shellfish, crabs, and seaweed.

Seaweed? Yuck! That sounded gross. Admittedly though, he'd had a few nights of rockpooling in his youth, roasting crabs and little fish over the fire for a snack. It could be pleasant on a warm summer night... But stealing was much easier, and the food purchased with coin was much better, so he hadn't done so in a long time.

"Take your coin and give it to the orphans. His punishment will be me putting him to work so he can earn his breakfast, which I'll pay for myself. I'm not going to give him a rabbit. I'm going to teach him how to hunt one."

"Huh?" Urchin was certainly surprised by this man's suggestion. He would teach him how to hunt? How to use a bow, maybe? Now that sounded exciting! All the best adventurers knew how to use a bow! And with how often his friends managed to get themselves in trouble, there would be some comfort in knowing that he might be able to help protect them. There was just one small problem though. "But ... Do I really gotta kill a rabbit?" Urchin asked sadly.

Not that the boy didn't eat meat. Meat was delicious! But the kind of meat he ate was already dead. Live rabbits on the other hand... They were cute and fluffy! Personally, he'd feel far more guilty killing a fluffy bunny rabbit than he ever did depriving a stranger of a few coins.

First he needed to address the wrong line of thinking from those gathered or the lesson wouldn't stick. So he said with his focus still mostly on the boy the young woman, "How is he suppose to pay a fine for theft? Going into debt borrowing the coin from someone else or even more stealing?"
... Okay, true, even if he used the coin Varys gave him he'd have to steal even more to feed himself. She was just hoping to get him out of being arrested. She'd heard terrible things about prisons in Alliria.

Amelia held her breath through the entire exchange. Clearly, she was a bit out of her depth already, and this was her first day in Alliria. How was she supposed to talk down an armored stranger? Lucky Varys had decided to lend a hand. She was starting to realize how lucky she was to have run into him.

She released her breath when the stranger clarified what he actually had planned. "I guess that's fair," she mumbled. Her village did something similar. Better he work off his debt than be thrown to the guards. Who knows? Maybe it would even help him going forward. Maybe the stranger was more reasonable than she thought.
"But ... Do I really gotta kill a rabbit?"
"Aww," Amelia cooed, quiet enough to not draw too much attention to herself. She hoped this worked out for him. The poor boy deserved better luck in life.

Well, let it not be said that Varys hadn't made some attempt to be reasonable with them all. If one were to ask him, he'd say that sending the urchin on some job to pay off coin that he hadn't even gotten away with was a waste of time. He wasn't entirely a fan of how the kid had mouthed off about the orphans, but then this was quickly turning into territory he had little interest in. There were matters far more pressing, and while he had said he would take Amelia to the main road, he also figured the chance she got hurt with the armored fellow here were quite minimal.

Even so... Amelia had mentioned blacksmithing, and he was looking for one such person for a particularly special job. He gritted his teeth, deciding that he would have to remain just a bit longer. He couldn't afford to get too impatient, lest he make easy mistakes. Now if only that street brat would quit his whining. After all, the deal he'd just been offered was far from a raw one.

He walks back to the group and gives Urchin a pat on the back, perhaps a bit harder than was necessary. "Quit your groaning. Do you have any idea how valuable it can be to learn how to hunt? You can catch your own food, and sell the pelts for gold. Get good at it and you're set." He takes a moment, looking him up and down. "Or are you the type who's only running around on the streets because you can't be bothered to do something more?"

It probably sounded meaner than he meant it to, but honestly, he had a small deal of resentment for those who were more than capable of bettering themselves and chose not to. Mainly because he'd been one of them for some time. "Amelia." He turned to her suddenly, seeming to lose interest in Urchin all at once. "I've decided I'm going to remain by your side as a guide until you are suitably comfortable here, in exchange for your services."

The Kel listened as everyone interacted with each other and responded to him. The boy and girl were rather comical. He kept playing at her heart strings and she kept letting him without realizing it was happening. His saying was taken literal, but he could teach him if that was what he was interested in learning. His comment about the rabbit and her following coo nearly got a sigh out of him.

Thankfully the other adult here, the elf man, seemed equally as annoyed by the two. He chastised the boy and then continued what sounded like an earlier conversation from before. The mention of her services got his attention. What exactly were those services?

His hand still on the boy's shoulder as his other went to his hilt as he looked to the elf man. "What services is she providing?"

Based on the girl's behavior it was likely innocent and he was no knight or guard, but she was too young and he already had mentioned a shady past for him to overlook things. He expected to be misunderstanding. It happened all the time as different as the culture of outsiders was to the Kel, but on the chance he was correct then something would need to be done. She was too young still for such an adult line of work.

Urchin Varys San'Seya Amelia Rowe

"Quit your groaning. Do you have any idea how valuable it can be to learn how to hunt? You can catch your own food, and sell the pelts for gold. Get good at it and you're set."

Urchin jerked forward slightly at Varys's rough pat on the back. Much as he might not want to hear it, the man's advice was sound. Urchin could always use any means to get some extra income. "Okay," he agreed. "Guess I really need ta learn 'ow ta use a bow an' arrow anyhow. My friends always seem ta be gettin' 'erself inta trouble, so I gots ta learn my way 'round weapons sos I can protect 'er... Hey Mr, we gonna be 'untin' with bows an' arrows or with traps?" he asked the armored man curiously, the idea of learning how to hunt gradually growing on him.

"Or are you the type who's only running around on the streets because you can't be bothered to do something more?"

"Course not!" Urchin objected, sounding rather offended at the accusation. He didn't steal because he couldn't be bothered to do anything else. He stole because it was bloody good money! That and it was the only thing he was good at.

All the while the armoured man still had his hand on his shoulder... And all the while Urchin looked longingly at the coins that Varys had thrown his way, just waiting for Tinus to lift his hand so he could scoop them up! He wanted to get to them as soon as possible before some other thieving tyke got his grubby little mitts on them.

"What services is she providing?"

For a moment, Urchin was confused by the angry accusation in the man's tone... Until he clued on, and burst out into hysterical laughter. "Oh sweet Gods above," the lad giggled immaturely. "I dun think 'e means those kinda services." At least he highly doubted it. This nice young lady didn't look anything like the kind of girls who would be offering the type of services that Tinus had in mind. Urchin grew up in a brothel, so he should know.

It probably sounded meaner than he meant it to, but honestly, he had a small deal of resentment for those who were more than capable of bettering themselves and chose not to. Mainly because he'd been one of them for some time. "Amelia." He turned to her suddenly, seeming to lose interest in Urchin all at once. "I've decided I'm going to remain by your side as a guide until you are suitably comfortable here, in exchange for your services."
Amelia looked over to Varys when she heard her name. "Yeah?" She pursed her lips when he finished speaking. That was fair enough, right? He helped her out and she pays with a little blacksmithing work. She didn't see anything wrong with that. "Um, okay. Sure. What do you need?"
His hand still on the boy's shoulder as his other went to his hilt as he looked to the elf man. "What services is she providing?"
She glanced at the armored man and blinked. He sounded a little angry, for some reason. Maybe he's just paranoid about thieves after what'd just happened, that'd explain why he had his hand on his sword like that. She perked up at the question itself. Maybe he'd also need something crafted! "Oh, I'm a blacksmith. Or, blacksmith apprentice I guess. I'm looking for a job in the city."
For a moment, Urchin was confused by the angry accusation in the man's tone... Until he clued on, and burst out into hysterical laughter. "Oh sweet Gods above," the lad giggled immaturely. "I dun think 'e means those kinda services." At least he highly doubted it. This nice young lady didn't look anything like the kind of girls who would be offering the type of services that Tinus had in mind. Urchin grew up in a brothel, so he should know.
She scratched the back of her head when the boy suddenly started laughing. Did, she miss some kind of city joke? Why was he laughing like that? "Those kind? What does that mean?" She shook her head. Allirian's were weird.

Varys San'Seya Tinus Damos Urchin