Fate - First Reply The Ash of Industry

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Isaac

The Dropout
Character Biography
Link
Amroe

This was a city of desperation. A city of prosperity. A city of misery.

A city of industry.

Smoke seemed to hang within the air, the thick and acrid emission of dozens upon dozens of what the locals dubbed 'Factories". Amroe was the first of it's kind in this world, the first to have created something that would manufacture en masse. Dozens of buildings had been raised, created, crafted and fueled by coal fires to produce everything from Swords to cart wheels.

Most homes were those all around the world. Thatched roofs, white walls, beams of wood. Built eons ago and maintained by the hand of a skilled craftsmen. Yet they stood among the smog, within the clouds of industry. The Factories that raised between these buildings were horrid awful things. Straight lines, massive smoke stacks, and great billowing towers of flame.

Laborers within the factories did not work as Master Craftsmen and blacksmiths, but as men on the line.

The people of Amroe were not creative artists, they were not respected men of a craft. They were the downtrodden masses that produced weapons made for goblins and goods idealized by Kobolds. The industry of this city did not support those armies of quality, but they who opposed them. Everything here was made with twelve of it's kind, and a blade found in Vel Anir would easily snap it in two.

Yet that did not matter.

Not in the least.

Amroe was a city run by Titans, men, women, and families to cultivated wealth on a scale that most could not imagines. Collectives who cared not for quality, but quantity.

It was within those straights of inequality that Isaac wandered. His arms filled with the fluffy form of his cat; Teekle.

A loud meow echeod from the creatures throat. "I know I know. I don't like it any more than you do. My lungs feel like they're made of lead. Doesn't matter though. We know he was here, so we keep looking."

Another meow escaped Teekle's throat, but Isaac only shook his head. The sass not warranting a response.

Amroe

This was a city of desperation. A city of prosperity. A city of misery.

A city of industry.

Smoke seemed to hang within the air, the thick and acrid emission of dozens upon dozens of what the locals dubbed 'Factories". Amroe was the first of it's kind in this world, the first to have created something that would manufacture en masse. Dozens of buildings had been raised, created, crafted and fueled by coal fires to produce everything from Swords to cart wheels.

Most homes were those all around the world. Thatched roofs, white walls, beams of wood. Built eons ago and maintained by the hand of a skilled craftsmen. Yet they stood among the smog, within the clouds of industry. The Factories that raised between these buildings were horrid awful things. Straight lines, massive smoke stacks, and great billowing towers of flame.

Laborers within the factories did not work as Master Craftsmen and blacksmiths, but as men on the line.

The people of Amroe were not creative artists, they were not respected men of a craft. They were the downtrodden masses that produced weapons made for goblins and goods idealized by Kobolds. The industry of this city did not support those armies of quality, but they who opposed them. Everything here was made with twelve of it's kind, and a blade found in Vel Anir would easily snap it in two.

Yet that did not matter.

Not in the least.

Amroe was a city run by Titans, men, women, and families to cultivated wealth on a scale that most could not imagines. Collectives who cared not for quality, but quantity.

It was within those straights of inequality that Isaac wandered. His arms filled with the fluffy form of his cat; Teekle.

A loud meow echeod from the creatures throat. "I know I know. I don't like it any more than you do. My lungs feel like they're made of lead. Doesn't matter though. We know he was here, so we keep looking."

Another meow escaped Teekle's throat, but Isaac only shook his head. The sass not warranting a response.

What a disgusting city.

The air was stained black and smelled of smoke, no, not smoke, even the black smoke of wet leaves set to burn smelled better than this. The houses looked normal, but what in the heck were those black monstrosities in the middle of them all? Calling them and eyesore was being nice. Why did she come here again?

She walked forward and finally over the crest of the hill she had spied the monstrous buildings from, just in time to hear a loud meow of discontent a few feet below her. Looking down the hill she spied a man looking over the city as she had, and talking to someone, the second meow suggested that it was the cat he was talking to. Though she couldn't see one just yet, she could definitely smell it.

The knight clad in pitch-black armor walked forward until she was right next to the man, "So I take it this your first time here too."

If he were to look her way he'd see a knight that was significantly shorter than him, standing only at 4'7", but poised and calm. Though none of her was showing through her suit of black full-plate armor. He'd also spy an estoc at her hip, and a dagger to accompany it. She didn't seem to be carrying anything else though, no backpack, no coin pouch, just her sword and dagger.

Isaac

• Sip
Reactions: Isaac
Isaac half turned, glancing back to see who had spoken.

Within the din of Amroe it was difficult to make out details on a person so close. The smog within the air was like a constant haze. Isaac couldn't help but wonder what this would do to the long term health of anyone who lived here.

Not that many would care. "Oh, yes."

The Dropout said with a smile, reaching down to let Teekle jump onto the ground. The cat seemed to linger for a moment, then stalked off towards the alleyways.

"First time, though why anyone would come here a second I have no idea." He waved a hand in front of his face, as though that would have any sort of affect. "Isaac."

The young man said by way of introduction.

Not that many would care. "Oh, yes."

The Dropout said with a smile, reaching down to let Teekle jump onto the ground. The cat seemed to linger for a moment, then stalked off towards the alleyways.

"First time, though why anyone would come here a second I have no idea." He waved a hand in front of his face, as though that would have any sort of affect. "Isaac."

The young man said by way of introduction.

She offered him her hand to shake in reply. "Anya, it's a pleasure to meet you."

She watched the cat walk off into the alleyway. "Aren't you worried that he's not going to come back or won't be able to find you again? This doesn't seem like a place you should be letting your pet just run around. Who knows what might happen."

She looked over the city, then turned her attention back to him, "May I inquire as to why you're here? This doesn't seem like a place anyone would go to on a whim."

• Popcorn
Issac glanced over into the direction Teekle had wandered off in. "Nah, he's pretty smart."

That was the only explanation that the Dropout would offer.

There was no doubt in his mind that Teekle would find him again, no doubt in his mind that the little cat had no choice but to. A smile touched his face as he released Anya's handshake, pulling back ever so slightly away from the Knight.

"There was a man here." Isaac explained. "He passed through a little while ago and left something behind."

He saw no reason to lie. "I'm looking for it."

Not the whole truth, but enough of it. There was no reason to share every little detail of his life after all. Not with a stranger. "What about you? Like you said Amroe is...well it's a new kind of place isn't it?"

Isaac said as he wrinkled his nose, glancing up to one of the massive factories.

"There was a man here." Isaac explained. "He passed through a little while ago and left something behind."

He saw no reason to lie. "I'm looking for it."

Interesting, "Oh? That's a little strange. But I'm not one to judge, I've had my own share of strange dealings."

Not the whole truth, but enough of it. There was no reason to share every little detail of his life after all. Not with a stranger. "What about you? Like you said Amroe is...well it's a new kind of place isn't it?"

Isaac said as he wrinkled his nose, glancing up to one of the massive factories.

"Nothing in particular." She shrugged. "I'm just out exploring the world, looking for adventure. Heard there was a town nearby figured I'd go check it out."

• Popcorn
"Awful town to stumble upon." Isaac noted with a shrug.

Amroe really was awful.

There was something about this city that seemed to just suck the life out of you. The people seemed miserable, the streets were black and singed with soot. There was just something...off about everything. It brought a discomfort up the spine.

He frowned briefly, glancing around as Teekle suddenly came wandering back out of the alleyway. The cat let out a resounding purr, hopping up into Isaac's arms. The dropout stroked his hand along the back of the cats neck. "We'll you're welcome to tag along."

He told the woman.

"But I can't promise much adventure." None at all really.