Fable - Ask That Sing In The Morn'

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Raul Renaut

Advocate for Religion
Character Biography
Link
Oh, under the merciful guidance of Dhavohr, may I be delivered to this Monastery?

An errant rock tumbles under Raul's foot, heedless and foolish in his stride. He just barely catches himself from rolling his ankle. From putting himself out of effectiveness and leaving himself stranded, unfound. It brings him to a full halt, to catch a breath he hadn't realized he wasn't taking.

"Traveler, be quick about your business, this trail is not safe, and you would do well to hurry on to a settlement." spoke Master Hawken, some ways and some time behind him.

A whistling, calling, of creatures from the depths of the land rolls around him from all angles. He was theirs, if they wished it. If Ohtar allowed it.

"There is a Monastery, not too far from here, you would do well to seek refuge there, and should the gateman terry you, let them know that Master Hawken has granted you passage." spoke Master Hawken, shortly after warning him. Shortly before a poisoned dart had been flung from the underbrush, and the culprit, whomever they may be, had disappeared.

Shortly before his alert but relative calm countenance had irrationally dissolved into the slipshod shanties built to temporarily house refugees. A breeze rattling each pane of wattled, tarp-shrouded walls.

The bellow of a stag sends a jolt through him, rousing him from his thoughts, and he loosens his fingers from his necklace to grip his blade's sheath. He takes a breath and swallows.

Fool.

He forces a stride forth. And another. A third. Bringing his right hand from the grip to dangle loosely, left hand clenching and un-clenching into a fist at his other side. The forest slowly begins to clear around him. The sounds cease to bend upon him as a weak sapling. As he looks back, he sees that he had wandered from the path.

I should have asked for directions. Greencloaked am I. Look at how I tremble.

He faces forward and continues, monitoring his step, and after a few minutes that feel far longer, the walls of buildings begin to break through the brush. Raul's heart clenches painfully in relief.

The well-meaning boy at the gate only detains him for a moment, until Raul mentions Master Hawken. Astenvale Monastery, old and unkempt, unfolds in front of him as he steps through the gate. Washes over him with calm.

This is... Unlike any monastery I've ever seen. Even Vinbagnys, in it's elder condition, isn't this out of repair.

He loops a finger under his necklace, rests his left palm flat on his abdomen. The air still smells crisp, before the sun has had a chance to fully warm up any early-season flowers and burn away the morning dew.

"Bless you, child."

I expected more statuary, but I suppose not everyone follows the doctrine of idols and sacrementals.

The clash of metal, the sight of knights practicing forms to one side, wrenches him so hard from his train of thought that he simply has to stare, surprised.

These must be the knights I seek.

He turns back around to the boy, weary beyond the hour, before deciding to entirely forget his question. He finds a place nearby to sit, pulling a hard cracker from his pack to gnaw upon, and awaits a superior.

What aught I do now?

Alaric Wulf

Road weary and and aggravated, Alaric had made his way back to the monastery ahead of the older gents he accompanied. It hadn't gone how he would have liked, and he was given a wide berth as he slid from his mount and walked heavily to the stable.

Oh how his father would be disappointed, and not shy from telling him so by any means. Failure as he was to the old fae general. Perhaps it was the half human in him that his father looked upon him like a stain.

Alaric shook the thoughts from his head as he cooled his horse and readied him to be stabled. Naught to do about it now. Horse stabled and happy, Alaric all but flung the tack to its place, and trudged off. It was if a storm cloud was chasing him through the courtyard, and his shoulders bore the weight he need not carry.

As he headed toward the monastery, he paused midstride, catching site of the man that had happened upon them on the trail. Curiosity piqued, he turned and headed for the new arrival. He strode to stand before him, a small smile on his lips. "Well met again traveler, it seems you made it here with little trouble. I trust you've been met with proper hospitality?" He could hear the clang of practicing knights, and he clenched his fist slightly with eagerness to join. Later, now was the time for manners and good will.

Raul Renaut

• Bless
Reactions: Raul Renaut
Raul is lost within his mind- swimming in implications -eyes cast on the stones under his sandals, when Alaric spots him.

How do I always find myself wrapped within the turmoil of others? Everywhere I go, there's pain or confusion. Do I bring it with me? Do I seek it out?

Many occasions come to mind. The war ravaged village he visited soon after striking out. The hateful eyes of coastal tyrants. The smog and darkness of Elbion in ruin contrasting starkly with the moss and posies in front of his unfocused eyes. When Alaric's shadow casts on him, he shudders, and whips his gaze up, fingers clutching his necklace.

"Well met again traveler, it seems you made it here with little trouble. I trust you've been met with proper hospitality?" The young man says, smiling lightly, and Raul gawks mildly back at him before clearing his throat.

"Oh, indeed, little trouble…" He lies through his teeth, Aharus forgive him, as he stands up, to better look him in the face, his own expression caught between relieved and unsure.

You were…

"I'm afraid I didn't catch your name, earlier. What may I call you?"

Alaric Wulf
#ff8787

• Yay
Reactions: Alaric Wulf
Alaric waited amicably for the traveler to respond, he rolled his shoulders slightly to ease their tension. He eyed the newcomer cautiously, prone to suspicion of outsiders. Still, their order was about helping the people, and help he would.

Raul stood to face the hotblooded young man, and Alaric ducked his head in a slight bow of acknowledgment. "I'm glad you ran into little trouble on the road, other than what you walked into with us."

Alaric extended his hand and grinned. "My name is Alaric, Alaric Wulf. It's a pleasure to meet you..." He trailed off waiting for the man to finish the sentence. "I can bring you to the kitchen, get you something better than that." He gestured to the cracker Raul had been gnawing on.

Raul Renaut

• Aww
Reactions: Raul Renaut