Private Tales Swords and Hammers

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Anya was an adventurous soul. She was a loyal wife sure, but she also had a passion for fights. She loved fighting, and she loved doing it in places that only a few people had been before. So she was an adventurer at heart, clad in her black armor and carrying her numerous stabbing weapons. And she skipped happily along the dirt road, blood covering the long blade of her estoc. She'd run into a few bandits a short ways back, and as is typical of adventurers, they gave them the boot without a lot of trouble. It was a little annoying though, to run into such upstarts every few feet.

But that wasn't her immediate problem now, now was the issue of the sun rising. She wore her armor which blocked sunlight yes, but she'd rather not risk it if she had the choice. So she skipped chipperly but hurriedly towards the village she was currently headed towards. And the first thing that caught her eye was the blacksmith, and the red haired woman working it. She reminded Anya just a little bit of Velera in terms of appearance.

She even waved in friendly greeting as she passed.

• Yay
Reactions: Maeanna Moonbeam
Maeanna had finally settled down after months of not really finding a place that met her fancy. Her time was spent creating all sorts of weapons and armor and getting to know the area and its history so she could better cater to the people's desires in terms of armor and weapons. She had awoken before dawn to get a head start on her newest project: a broadsword. It was a gift for a family just down the road who had helped her when she settled down and were most kind to her despite what she was. While the man and woman of the house were elderly and probably wouldn't be able to wield it should an intruder try and enter their house, the oldest son was young and strapping; more than capable to swing it at the very least.

Sweat poured down her face and chest as she went back and forth between the raging fire and the anvil, hammering away at the red-hot metal. At this point in her life, she could do most of the actions needed to make a weapon on autopilot. She moved confidently and without hesitation, lifting the hammer with one hand to strike the metal while the other hand used long, metal tongs to keep the piece of metal in place.

As the sun began to peek over the horizon, Maeanna paused and set her tools down after placing the almost completed sword in a bucket of water. Looking out of her shop, the first thing that struck her was the scent of blood, and she froze, unsure of what exactly she was to do. The second thing she noticed, now that she was no longer focused on her project, was the being walking towards her. She could hear the person's armor shift slightly as they lifted an arm to wave but Maeanna was forced to focus on other things as the scent of blood began to flood her olfactory system, causing her to swallow thickly as saliva pooled in her mouth.

She places her hands on her hips and stares at her feet, forcing herself to remain still and silent as she slowly regained control over herself; telling herself that her hunger did not control her anymore. She could go inside and get a drink at any time. There was no need to give in right now. Maeanna lifts her eyes only, looking through her eyelashes to see if the person was still approaching or if they had turned a different way, and then offers a brief wave before putting her hand back on her hip and sighing heavily as she turns her head to look at her shop.

She had never seen anyone wear black armor before. Especially while walking down a path in the early morning. She supposed it made sense as defense against bandits and rogues or if someone was on duty to transport something but...

Mae couldn't immediately tell if she felt this person was alright or not, and for that reason, she merely went about cleaning up a bit instead of making friends. If they were interested in doing business, then they could approach, obviously, and she would be civil enough. She grabs a makeshift broom and begins sweeping coals and dust back towards the corner of her shop to make it look more presentable and begins to softly whistle as she does so.

• Bless
Reactions: Ser Anya Kinniger
As the sun began to peek over the horizon, Maeanna paused and set her tools down after placing the almost completed sword in a bucket of water. Looking out of her shop, the first thing that struck her was the scent of blood, and she froze, unsure of what exactly she was to do. The second thing she noticed, now that she was no longer focused on her project, was the being walking towards her. She could hear the person's armor shift slightly as they lifted an arm to wave but Maeanna was forced to focus on other things as the scent of blood began to flood her olfactory system, causing her to swallow thickly as saliva pooled in her mouth.

She places her hands on her hips and stares at her feet, forcing herself to remain still and silent as she slowly regained control over herself; telling herself that her hunger did not control her anymore. She could go inside and get a drink at any time. There was no need to give in right now. Maeanna lifts her eyes only, looking through her eyelashes to see if the person was still approaching or if they had turned a different way, and then offers a brief wave before putting her hand back on her hip and sighing heavily as she turns her head to look at her shop.

The reaction is what got her attention. Not many people reacted like that. Sure maybe they looked at her oddly, but not many simply averted their gaze as though afraid or nervous. Something was up with that woman. Well she'd grabbed a few of the weapons from the bandits and figured that she could sell them, so why not sell them to her.

So She decided to skip her way over to the blacksmith's shop and introduce herself.

"Salutations Friend! I hope I'm not bothering you, I simply wished to drop a few things off that I collected. Perhaps you'd be interested in buying?" She said pulling out the rucksack that held the numerous swords and axes that the bandits had used.

She could smell it. Definitely, that woman was a vampire, no doubt about it. And doubtless the woman could also smell the same nature on her, if she were a strain that had oversensitive smelling like most strains did. Two vampires meeting, to discuss business.

• Yay
Maeanna kept her focus on the creature's presence as she went about tidying up the shop and leaned the broom against a table with great care as she heard her approach. She heard the staccato step of skipping feet and thought it peculiar but made no mention of it; not wanting to be rude.

Upon turning to face the armor-clad being, she could immediately perceive two things. The first being their race, a vampire, and the second being that it was a female. Maeanna remained by the back table as she watched the woman lift up the rucksack and mention selling some things to her, crossing her arms over her chest as she pondered if she needed the money she had or if she could spare a few coin and potentially make a profit. She also worried about the quality, should she purchase and then sell what the woman was offering. If it was poor quality and broke, her reputation in this town would be ruined, and she didn't want that. While considering these things, she also kept her focus away from the scent of blood that had grown stronger with each step this woman took towards her.

After a long, hesitant moment, Maeanna pushes herself away from the table to approach the woman and begin to look through the rucksack to examine the tools and weapons. Most of the items were not as good a quality as she produced but perhaps she could merely reinforce the weak spots, maybe forge new parts if necessary.

Maeanna inhales sharply and sighs heavily as she rests her hands on the table, looking down at what was before her as if trying to decide if she wanted to buy it or not but a few moments later an Elven curse leaves her lips and she looks away. "May I clean your sword," she asks in a rather annoyed and gruff tone of voice. The urge to feed on blood was becoming rather strong, and she did not like looking for it in the sunlight.

While her hybridization made it easier for her to walk in the sun, it was still uncomfortable for her. She burned easily and usually broke out with rashes, and she could easily consume common foods to satisfy her needs but... the hunger for blood was not so easily satiated.

• Bless
Maeanna inhales sharply and sighs heavily as she rests her hands on the table, looking down at what was before her as if trying to decide if she wanted to buy it or not but a few moments later an Elven curse leaves her lips and she looks away. "May I clean your sword," she asks in a rather annoyed and gruff tone of voice. The urge to feed on blood was becoming rather strong, and she did not like looking for it in the sunlight.

"Uh, sure." She says, appearing confused, but really she knew exactly why she wanted it clean. She handed her the long two handed weapon with it's S shaped guard and what was essentially a really long spike for a blade, it clearly couldn't cut anything, but it would excel beyond anything else at stabbing and running things through.

The black clad warrior said, "If you're worried about quality you could just reuse the metal, put it through a bloomery furnace to increase the quality. I don't know too much about smithing but I read that that's how it works to a point."

She kept her voice chipper and friendly. Making sure to be as nonthreatening as possible so that she might have a good chance of learning more about this woman.

• Yay
Maeanna paid no attention to the way in which the woman spoke to her. It was not her main concern at this point. She turns her head to look at the woman, the sclera of her eyes already turning a blood red, and then reaches her hand out to take the weapon by the hilt before turning on her heels and walking back towards where she had left the broom.

She grabs a rag with her free hand, holding the weapon away from her body as if it were poison, and then whispers softly as she drags the rag across the blade, uttering an incantation to assist with doing away with the sight and scent of the blood before chucking the rag into the fire and waiting a few moments to ensure that the scent was gone. That way, she knew she would be able to regain control over herself quickly and go about her day without unnecessary struggle.

She turns around slowly and gives the two-handed weapon a few fancy spins and twists, inspecting its weight and detail as she walks back over to the woman to give the weapon back. Only then does she grin, her lips curving into a rather charming smile that was laced with amusement, and speak again, saying, "That is, if I decide I want to purchase them."

Her smile easily seemed to tame whatever wild thing had been aching to escape her mere moments before, and she relaxes now that the threat of losing control was gone. Mae glances out of her shop toward the rising sun and gestures towards the blazing star with a jerk of her chin. "Do you require shelter till nightfall?"

She didn't prefer guests, being a rather solitary creature out of necessity, but she could make an exception if need be. Perhaps this vampire could help her learn some things that she hadn't already learned from books and the tales her mother had once told her.

Only then does she grin, her lips curving into a rather charming smile that was laced with amusement, and speak again, saying, "That is, if I decide I want to purchase them."

"True, true."

Her smile easily seemed to tame whatever wild thing had been aching to escape her mere moments before, and she relaxes now that the threat of losing control was gone. Mae glances out of her shop toward the rising sun and gestures towards the blazing star with a jerk of her chin. "Do you require shelter till nightfall?"

She didn't prefer guests, being a rather solitary creature out of necessity, but she could make an exception if need be. Perhaps this vampire could help her learn some things that she hadn't already learned from books and the tales her mother had once told her.

She hmmed. "I was going to find an Inn if there was one. But sure, it is most generous of you to offer.Tthank you. Might I ask you your name kind miss?"

She had watched her wipe down the blade with amusement. He treating the blade as though it would kill her just for touching it. She was tempted to giggle. But she withheld such temptations from grabbing hold and forcing their way to the surface.

• Yay
Maeanna's smile slowly drifts off as she nods, and then goes about choosing which items she wanted to purchase before procuring adequate payment from a pouch she kept tied to her belt at her hip and paying for them. The rest, she placed back in the rucksack and set them down on the floor next to the table where they would be safe for the time being. Of course, if her guest held them so dear and wanted them moved to a safer location, she was free to do so of her own accord.

Maeanna giggles in amusement upon being called a "kind miss" but she shrugs and gathers up her purchased items before moving them to a different table for further inspection later. "I suppose you can call me Maeanna." As she turns back around to face the woman, one of the axes falls off the end of the table after being placed precariously, and in one smooth movement, Mae lifts a hand and stops the axe's descent without even touching it before reaching around to grab the handle and place it back on the table carefully.

She does this all within a few seconds while making continuous eye contact with the woman. "And your name...?"

Maeanna's smile slowly drifts off as she nods, and then goes about choosing which items she wanted to purchase before procuring adequate payment from a pouch she kept tied to her belt at her hip and paying for them. The rest, she placed back in the rucksack and set them down on the floor next to the table where they would be safe for the time being. Of course, if her guest held them so dear and wanted them moved to a safer location, she was free to do so of her own accord.

She shook her head when offered coins. "Truth be told they're a bit of a nuisance to carry, consider it payment for your hospitality."

Maeanna giggles in amusement upon being called a "kind miss" but she shrugs and gathers up her purchased items before moving them to a different table for further inspection later. "I suppose you can call me Maeanna." As she turns back around to face the woman, one of the axes falls off the end of the table after being placed precariously, and in one smooth movement, Mae lifts a hand and stops the axe's descent without even touching it before reaching around to grab the handle and place it back on the table carefully.

She does this all within a few seconds while making continuous eye contact with the woman. "And your name...?"

She offered her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you Maeanna. My name is Anya."

She nodded at the axe. "That's a pretty neat trick. Maybe you could teach me? I've long had an interest in magic yet I've never had any talent for it."

• Yay
Maeanna shrugs again and nods when her payment was rejected, swiping the coins off the table and back into the pouch easily. "Works for me," she says. Once the pouch was secured, she dusts her hands off and reaches out to shake the woman's hand.

Maeanna's palms and fingers were covered in callouses from years of working the forge and gathering all the necessary materials to maintain a functioning smithy, and while her hands seemed rather small and dainty, it was quite obvious that she was a hard worker.

She glances back towards the table where the axe lay and then frowns slightly. "Is it magic," she asks softly, her tone of voice almost wistful or dreamlike as she ponders how she would go about teaching someone something such as telekinesis.

"Perhaps I can try later today. I've never taught anyone anything," she admits freely as she gestures with a hand towards a door in the back of the shop that would lead into her home. "You can pick one of the spare bedrooms to the left of the staircase or just wait down here," she says, opening the door and holding it for Anya. "I have some stew on the fire if you can stomach common food, otherwise I'll have to do some hunting..."

"Perhaps I can try later today. I've never taught anyone anything," she admits freely as she gestures with a hand towards a door in the back of the shop that would lead into her home. "You can pick one of the spare bedrooms to the left of the staircase or just wait down here," she says, opening the door and holding it for Anya. "I have some stew on the fire if you can stomach common food, otherwise I'll have to do some hunting..."

"No, I just had a meal. The room is enough. Thanks again." She says with a smile.

When she stepped in she pulled off her helmet to let her face be seen. She was pale as one would expect from a vampire, and when her helmet was off it showed clearly that she was smaller than her armor made her look. She was pretty small actually. Not enough to be confused for a child but she was still pretty darn small. Even fragile-looking.

"So how have you managed to survive out here among humans, it's a rare thing to see, bloodsuckers and mortals living in the same settlement, usually they try to kill each other."

Maeanna nods and goes about getting herself her own breakfast. The stew was ladled into a wooden bowl and would smell rather delicious to a normal person. Hell, it smelled good to Mae as well! She smiles brightly as she moves to sit at the table in the middle of the large room that represented the kitchen and dining room.

Just to the left of the door they had just walked in was the stairway leading upstairs to the bedrooms, and diagonal from that same door was a hallway leading to the rest of the house. Due to a lack of personal, worldly goods, the small dwelling seemed rather spacious. The bare minimum was provided for comfort and enjoyment.

Mae watches the woman remove her helmet and raises a brow as she chews the vegetables and chunks of meat but offers a friendly smile a moment later as she swallows and shrugs, shaking her head in reply to Anya's question. Being called a bloodsucker made Maeanna frown deeply, and her eyebrows crease as she looks away.

"My mother is of pure, Elven blood. I am told that my father was half-vampire and half... something else. Some beast-like creature only good for causing pain..." It was clear by the tone of her voice that she was bitter and angry about the circumstances of her birth but she merely turned to look at Anya again and smiles. "I'm a hybrid," she says with a shrug, "I can walk in the sun and eat common foods. Certain stimuli trigger the beast and that ravenous hunger within me but I have learned how to control myself and avoid those stimuli when it's not safe for me to lose control."

Last edited:
  • Cry
"My mother is of pure, Elven blood. I am told that my father was half-vampire and half... something else. Some beast-like creature only good for causing pain..." It was clear by the tone of her voice that she was bitter and angry about the circumstances of her birth but she merely turned to look at Anya again and smiles. "I'm a hybrid," she says with a shrug, "I can walk in the sun and eat common foods. Certain stimuli trigger the beast and that ravenous hunger within me but I have learned how to control myself and avoid those stimuli when it's not safe for me to lose control."

Anya frowned, realising that her poor choice of words had hurt her new friend. "I'm sorry. I should have thought more carefully about what I said. And I'm sorry to hear about your upbringing. It must have been hard."

She didn't know what else to say. Should she share her own history? Keep quiet? Reassure her?

Anya was friendly but far from silver tongued. So she had no idea what to do. She just stood there, awkwardly trying to think about what she should say or do.

• Yay
Maeanna lifts her left hand and gestures to the chair across from her, causing the chair to softly scratch across the floor and make it more accessible for Anya to sit if she so desired. "Have no fear. I just... have only heard that word used with negative connotations. It threw me off for a moment and I was distracted by the emotional pain caused me by others. All is well, Anya."

She continues to eat for a few moments longer, using a metal spoon she had forged for herself, and then leans back in her chair as she watches Anya, silently wondering about things as she thinks.

"It was difficult," she says softly, "learning how to exist as something that plenty of people consider monstrous. My mother did her best to raise me up with all of the Elven knowledge she could bestow upon me. I had others, outsiders, who taught me how to understand and control my bloodlust..." She pauses and sighs as she shakes her head a little, "But that one-third of me that I don't quite understand. It tends to lash out at times. I don't understand it fully or know how to avoid exploding..."

Maeanna lifts her left hand and gestures to the chair across from her, causing the chair to softly scratch across the floor and make it more accessible for Anya to sit if she so desired. "Have no fear. I just... have only heard that word used with negative connotations. It threw me off for a moment and I was distracted by the emotional pain caused me by others. All is well, Anya."

"Even so I should have been more cautious in my choice of words." She told her. "But your forgiveness is most appreciated."

She accepted the seat and sat across from her hostess.

She continues to eat for a few moments longer, using a metal spoon she had forged for herself, and then leans back in her chair as she watches Anya, silently wondering about things as she thinks.

"It was difficult," she says softly, "learning how to exist as something that plenty of people consider monstrous. My mother did her best to raise me up with all of the Elven knowledge she could bestow upon me. I had others, outsiders, who taught me how to understand and control my bloodlust..." She pauses and sighs as she shakes her head a little, "But that one-third of me that I don't quite understand. It tends to lash out at times. I don't understand it fully or know how to avoid exploding..."

"I find the secret to be staying sufficiently fed. If I drink enough then I won't have the temptation to drink when confronted with blood. I generally find a bandit hideout and drink the lot of them dry, maybe keep a few alive for later feeding, so that I have no troubles in common society."

• Yay
Even so I should have been more cautious in my choice of words." She told her. "But your forgiveness is most appreciated."
Maeanna nods and gives a slight shrug, smiling as she says, "Any time." She had found in life, after struggling through anger and losing control too many times, that forgiveness was better than being bitter and holding grudges.

When Anya explains that keeping up on one's blood consumption was the best way to avoid losing control, Maeanna frowns and makes an almost disgusted face. While she had been taught how to control her bloodlust, she had been primarily raised as an Elf, and the idea of draining people dry just to survive both disgusted her and intrigued her.

"You're probably right," she admits as she smacks her lips and swallows her saliva as it begins to pool in her mouth. "I wonder... Hmm..." After a moment, she shakes herself out of whatever thoughts she was having and gestures toward Anya's armor. "Are you a knight? I've never seen someone wear black armor before. Is the color significant?"

Last edited:
"You're probably right," she admits as she smacks her lips and swallows her saliva as it begins to pool in her mouth. "I wonder... Hmm..." After a moment, she shakes herself out of whatever thoughts she was having and gestures toward Anya's armor. "Are you a knight? I've never seen someone wear black armor before. Is the color significant?"

"If you wish to keep to a moral code, as I do, only rain criminals, or don't drain anyone and feed on several at once. That could also work." She furthered before being asked.

She looked as though she was thinking about how to reply. "Sort of. It's a long story. The color isn't significant, I just liked it. My brother's armor is white. I'm technically a noble, but my husband abdicated and he was followed by me and his loyal concubines. There's a lot more to it but that's the short version."

• Yay
Maeanna nods as she listens to Anya speak and decides to pry no further, seeing as it was none of her business. If Anya decided to share further of her own accord, then Maeanna would happily listen but for now, she should probably get back to work, and Anya would probably be wanting to sleep, so, once Anya finished speaking, Maeanna stands and moves her dishes and utensils to the counter and begins to clean them.

She looks over her shoulder at Anya with a smile and says, "Yeah, so, I suppose you can have the bedroom up the stairs immediately to the left or right of the stairs. The bedroom at the end of the hallway is mine. That room is off limits. If you don't need anything else, I'll be heading back into the shop to continue working." She finishes with the dishes and turns around, looking as if she were thinking about something, and then she speaks up again and says, "I might head to the market to look for some things later. You are welcome to accompany me then or stay here."

After waiting for a moment or two to hear out Anya should she have more to say, she nods and gives a slight wave before heading back into the shop to pick up where she left off with that broadsword.

• Sip
She looks over her shoulder at Anya with a smile and says, "Yeah, so, I suppose you can have the bedroom up the stairs immediately to the left or right of the stairs. The bedroom at the end of the hallway is mine. That room is off limits. If you don't need anything else, I'll be heading back into the shop to continue working." She finishes with the dishes and turns around, looking as if she were thinking about something, and then she speaks up again and says, "I might head to the market to look for some things later. You are welcome to accompany me then or stay here."

After waiting for a moment or two to hear out Anya should she have more to say, she nods and gives a slight wave before heading back into the shop to pick up where she left off with that broadsword.

"I should actually get acquainted with the village. Might prove beneficial and advantageous to know where things are, and who runs what." She said with a smile. "That and I need to know where to buy stuff for my journey."

(I'm so sorry for the wait, holy week came up and I thought I replied and it just turned into a mess. I'm sorry!)

• Yay
Mae nods in response to what Anya said and then heads back out to her shop to examine the items she bought from her. Perhaps she could make some more decorative pieces out of them so they wouldn't go completely to waste.

(No worries. I've been having some family trouble which is why it took me so long to reply, and that is the reason my reply is so short >.<)

• Yay
Mae nods in response to what Anya said and then heads back out to her shop to examine the items she bought from her. Perhaps she could make some more decorative pieces out of them so they wouldn't go completely to waste.

(No worries. I've been having some family trouble which is why it took me so long to reply, and that is the reason my reply is so short >.<)

(Hey, don't worry about the late reply. My life is getting hectic too so my replies will be slow from here on out. )

Anya stepped out with her new friend and stretched. As comfortable as armor was, and while it wasn't as heavy as people might think, it still had weight, which meant prolonged use, even with vampiric strength, could grow to be uncomfortable.

Maeanna allows Anya to do as she pleased while she went about organizing her work into manageable tasks and projects in order of priority. She begins to get into a rhythm with her work, settling into the steadiness she was used to when forging weapons and armor. Although, with the sun beginning to rise higher and higher into the sky, her eyes began to grow a bit sensitive to its light, and she takes yet another break to get out of the sun. "Anya, would you like a drink," she calls out to the woman as she opens the door in the back of the shop that led back into the house. "I need to take a break. I was thinking I might go for a walk as well. You are welcome to join me if you'd like."

• Bless
Maeanna allows Anya to do as she pleased while she went about organizing her work into manageable tasks and projects in order of priority. She begins to get into a rhythm with her work, settling into the steadiness she was used to when forging weapons and armor. Although, with the sun beginning to rise higher and higher into the sky, her eyes began to grow a bit sensitive to its light, and she takes yet another break to get out of the sun. "Anya, would you like a drink," she calls out to the woman as she opens the door in the back of the shop that led back into the house. "I need to take a break. I was thinking I might go for a walk as well. You are welcome to join me if you'd like."

"I'd love one thank you." She said cheerily. "And I would love to join you on your stroll. Perhaps you could help me familiarise myself with the local area? I always find it best to know about where I am."

(Sorry for the wait.)

• Yay