Quest Southward [A Tundra Tale]

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Maude

The Bear Queen
Nordenfiir
Character Biography
Link
OOC - To reiterate what I said in the chat. We've got a big group here and a long journey ahead of us. I challenge everyone to keep their posts short, to interact with as many of the other members in the thread as you can, and to spin any ideas for obstacles, challenges, or other side quests as you like to me. I'll pace the thread along the various stages and try to let the natural flow dictate when to move on.

Arnor Skuldsson Solveig Odasson Brenna Ardullsson Valthar Mikaela Ryurik Talus Hugi Gylfi Runarsson Magrin Kor

Nordengaard
The Broken Antler Tavern
Early Afternoon following Rowdy

The setting was similar to the previous night: Maude sat at the end table of the tavern, a level above the common floor, with Aether sitting at her left side and Hagen sitting at her right. She'd been here not longer than an hour, awaiting those who would be joining her party for the journey south. It was a longer list than anticipated and included two men with whom she had very little knowledge other than first impressions. Plans were altered, rations were extended, weapons were adjusted. Another map was drawn up.

Aether the Priest looked up as the last of the group arrived and signaled to the Queen that they were ready.

Maude stood from her chair and looked over the faces assembled, finding it to be a rather odd bunch indeed.

"This is a long journey and we are still at winter's peak. I hope you have all dressed accordingly..." her eyes shifted, in specific, to the human, Talus, and the Nord, Magrin. The rest were Nordenfiir, all of whom had found their Svalen save Gylfi. None of them would freeze, the other two she wasn't so sure about.

"Our first stop will be at the Frostpeak Outpost two days south of here. We will travel straight through, there will be no prior stops. Mikaela," she looked to the raven-haired Norden, "you will scout our path ahead at the front of the group. You are charged with the protection and care of your friend," the Queen's gaze shifted to Talus, "ensure he is able to keep up."

"Gylfi you are charged with the protection of Brenna, Hugi with the protection of Valthar,"
green eyes panned over each in turn before landing on Magrin, "Magrin Kor since you have elected to join us and since you have proven yourself formidable, you have been charged with the protection of Solveig. Arnor, you will travel with me."

"There are maps here, one for each group. In case of separation, make for the Outpost. Brenna, Valthar, and Solveig, should trouble arise you are to let the others take point and keep yourselves safe. If any of you need extra rations or supplies, now is the time to get them. We leave at the second bell."

After her spar with Magrin earlier that morning she had had just enough time to visit the bathhouse, pack her stuff and scramble together a new pair of boots from the market: she didn't want to be walking for god knows how long in boots that were sliced open. Valthar was already there when she arrived and she flashed him a bright smile despite the growing violent purple bruise across her chin and jawline. It was a good thing purple suited her. Her eyes flicked the mountain of a man who was meant to be his protector; the scent familiar from last night but not his face now he was in his human form. Still, she gave him a smile in hello.

Then she looked at the man she had been partnered up with. Well, boy might be more apt. He looked younger than her by a few years. She made a very conscious decision to put a good meter between them so she didn't bash him with her pack, mindful of the previous night. Hesitantly she gave him a small nod. Instead she stood a little closer to her brother; it seemed the natural choice of person to spend the long walk with. He could at least Sign so she wasn't going stir crazy.

Ready? Brenna signed subtly to him now, he always looked so troubled her big brother. She was glad someone who dwarfed even him was going to be watching his back.

Hugi hadn't slept well, but had at least got a little shut eye when he showed up with a heavy half cape and his usual armor. The helmet nodded to Maude whenever she told him of his job in this endeavor. Approaching Valthar, he gave the man a small nod, the helm not showing the smile he wore as his hands felt the cold steel of his axes on his hips.

He hoped for something fun to happen, but knew better than to wish for too much.

The Gray haired Nord hadn't wasted time after leaving the Arena earlier that day. He sat at a table in the Broken Antler Tavern nursing a flagon of mead, waiting. Watching many of the others arrive he remained silent. It wasn't until Maude had started to speak that his interest piqued.

After everyone's role was outlined he'd quaff the remainder of the mead he'd been drinking and stand. Outfitted with a heavy woolen cloak to help insulate him from the cold as well as a tunic, trousers and heavy northern boots to match Magrin appeared to have no fear of freezing out on the Eretejva Tundra.

Moving across the floor of the tavern he'd have let his gaze linger on Brenna briefly, the bruise on her face was beginning to form nicely. There was some part of him that felt badly for doing that during their spar. As he came closer to the man known as Solveig Odasson he'd note the man had a few inches on him though assessing his appearance Magrin estimated they were roughly the same weight..."Hope you know how to read a map."...not that he couldn't but if Magrin was responsible for his protection then Solveig could be the map reader.

Heavy woolens in greys and greens. Stout leather boots, light gloves. A full winter kit, though over it was a gifting from Erik. A heavy forge apron of Molvaniir hide, and greaves and bracers and a light helmet to match, all worked to resemble a blend of forge kit and armor in one. His rune-hammer made for forge work rode at one hip, the star-steel axe glowing like soft moonlight solidified at the other, and a seax knife in the small of his back. Magrin Kor stepped to him, his 'protector', and Solveig merely grinned, almost ferally. It had been a rough night of drinking, and wrestling with Erik. The white svalen-form of the Smith was even more difficult than his Norden shape.

"Aye, I can read a map. Wiggly lines mean water, right?"

Solveig adjusted his pack, hyper aware of the parcel from Helle and the weight of many kinds that he carried. From Solstal ore for Elbion to study to his own makers' mark of the same metal. But still, even... His humor could not be entirely surpressed.

Unexpected events were frequently exciting. Like becoming the scout for the Queen’s party on their way to the South; Mika definitely planned to do well and be both cautious and prepared. The last thing she needed was for anyone to get killed by one of the outlaws or the banished. To say that she wasn’t nervous would be a lie. Certainly when hearing that she was to make sure that Talus wouldn’t be left behind. This meant that he had to either be at the head of the party of scout with her. Though having seen his skills, she doubted he wouldn’t be able to handle it.

“I think we’re set,” she softly spoke to Talus.

The night had been shorter than she would have liked, but she felt quite rested still. Most of all she felt at peace now that certain things that had to be done were behind her. She felt lighter because of it. Hence, two days should be fine, even with the bit of stress where she would be on the lookout for any danger, she was set on managing the responsibility the Queen had honored her with.

Blinking, she continued to her friend. “but if you have an idea of what we might be missing, now is the time for us to get it.”

* * *​

Talus looked down into the pack that had been provided for him, his lips thinning slightly as he dug through everything. "I think we got it all."

He'd been a scout before, in fact that had been his role more times than he could count. This environment was different, but he figured that didn't really matter all that much.

Same thing, different climate.

With the furs he'd been provided and his own workaround with Rune Magic that he'd figured out the climate would not longer be a problem. At least as long as he didn't end up falling through a frozen lake or something.

Briefly he glanced back towards the Queen, then at the rest of the party behind them.

"I'm ready." He'd marched across the entirety of the Falwood, how much more difficult could the Tundra be?

Brenna Ardullsson

Valthar gave a sharp nod. His eyes fell to the bruise on her chin. So much for avoiding blows to the head.

Ready. Needing more layers than I should.

Nearly two years in the south and the cold was cutting deep. He pulled the furs tight around his neck.

Why do we need protecting exactly?

Valthar

Brenna caught his gaze but was content he wasn't going to mention anything. The conversation would simply be a repeat of last nights. She did however snort a laugh at his comment on needing more layers, struggling to not make a comment at his soft southern skin. She herself was dressed in normal fitted travelling gear that would keep her warm but also flexible. She preferred the cool crisp air when walking but the fur cloak in her bag would be welcome as it grew darker.

I would imagine because of what you know. And I think I'm just being used as a punishment.

Of course it was probably more obvious why she was being issued a guard, she had never seen a war and she had only caught a snippet of her fight with Magrin earlier that day, It just didn't need signing out loud. Speaking of....

I want you to meet someone.

Taking his hand she tugged him in the direction of Magrin Kor and Solveig Odasson. It was up to their two guardians if they wanted to follow. Milling around the other clusters of people she stopped in front of the pair. Taking a breath she sorted through the memories for the words and spoke in greeting.

"My brother, Valthar," then continued in sign to her brother, This is Magrin, he was teaching me a few things in the arena this morning.

When Magrin saw the grin that Solveig Oddason offered him he'd stiffen slightly before smirking when he heard the mans comment about the wiggly lines on the map prompting the response of...."That or the vapors we're meant to avoid."...the Nord had his own sense of humor but as his eyes fell across the weapon at Solvieig's side he'd have remarked..."A fine weapon. Did you craft it?"

An inspection of Magrin would reveal that he wore his own Axe over his right hip, in a leather loop off his belt. The Axe was typical of the northern variety in that it was large enough to be wielded one hand but had length enough in its haft to be taken easily in two for ease of use, simplicities sake or for different applications dependent on the circumstances. It also had a cleft rather than a heel at the end of its blade so that it could perform different maneuvers such as hooking, etc. A smaller Hand Axe could be seen worn over his left hip and it seemed likely Magrin carried at least one other weapon hidden somewhere on his person.

When Brenna Ardullson approached Magrin would turn his head towards her, shifting his stance so that he afforded her a proper amount of his focus along with the man she brought with her. A thin smile touching the corners of his mouth when she spoke, he had not expected it but would reply..."Of course."...his eyes shifting between the two...."There is a familial resemblance though it's obvious he wears his hair better."...he had made a small jest, meaning no disrespect ending with..."I'm pleased to meet him, Brenna."

Eyes shift more fully to Valthar then and he would have said..."Greetings, Valthar. Your sister is talented with the sword. In time I'm sure she will be a skilled warrior."...before extending his right arm to the man in a show of respect if not friendship.

There was a nod, Solveig catching the smirk and the return of the mirth. Dry, but there. Sometimes his humor rubbed others wrong. But thankfully in the case of this man, it was returned in kind. The response woke up the mischief of spirit that Erik had worked hard but never succeeded in drubbing out of him.

"Aye. I made it. At my master's forge, before he gave me my own mark. One of my last creations, other than an order for the Queen."

But the turn to address Brenna Ardullsson caught his eyes. The woman carried herself with a slight hesitancy, so she likely was new to this sort of foray. Truth told, so was Solveig, excepting supply and hunting runs with Erik. Proper war was different. Valthar had an entirely different manner, and he responded respectfully by nodding to both. He was careful to school his grin and words, and keep his eyes respectful to Bre. No need to involve the ire of the woman's brother. Even if she was comely. So instead, he turned his teasing to Magrin.

"Solveig Odasson. Please to meet you both. Excuse my companion's comment on hair. The elder one gets, the eyesight tends to fade. Probably why he wears his as he does, in point of the matter..."

Magrin Kor

Gylfi, in typical Gylfi Runarsson fashion, grumbled the entire morning. He grumbled as he rose from bed, grumbled as he gathered his things, and grumbled when Maude assigned him to protect Brenna.

Gylfi returned a curt nod of his own to his ward and followed as she took her brother to Magrin, the man from the previous night. Gylfi didn’t bother to approach or speak to others, but as he scanned over the crowd before him, he laid his eyes on a source of perpetual distress: Solveig Odasson.

"My brother, Valthar," then continued in sign to her brother, This is Magrin, he was teaching me a few things in the arena this morning.

Valthar was dragged along by his sister. He still couldn't decide if he should have been offended by the order to be put under protection.

"Greetings, Valthar. Your sister is talented with the sword. In time I'm sure she will be a skilled warrior."...before extending his right arm to the man in a show of respect if not friendship

"She was aways more natural with a sword," Valthar said, clasping Magrin's arm.

"Solveig Odasson. Please to meet you both. Excuse my companion's comment on hair. The elder one gets, the eyesight tends to fade. Probably why he wears his as he does, in point of the matter..."

"It is fine," Valthar replied. This time he signed to ensure Brenna could understand when he wasn't facing her. "My hair has always been better."

It was almost impossible to tell if it was a joke. At the back of his mind Valthar couldn't help but think about the murder. The assassin had come close to the queen's inner circle. Here they were on the road with several Nordenfiir they did not know well. None of them carried the scent of the killer, but could that too have been a rouse.

Brenna's hand automatically went to her hair when Magrin made a comment; it had a habit for coming loose and looking like a birds nest. But one brush and she was convinced her hair was still secure in the two braids she had done only an hour before. It was at the same time she noted the slight smile on his lips and she gave him a scowl, though she couldn't help her own smile tugging at her lips. It was also just nice to see her brother joking.

Bre fumbled in her pocket for a second and then scribbled in her notebook. Given she knew Magrin didn't Sign, and she doubted many of the others did either she had stocked up on the small books.

It was only fair he got the looks when I got the brains and brawn.

As she turned the page to the two men she also signed the words for her brother, though if their minds were sharp it would be the beginnings of the others learning the language.

As Valthar accepted his arm Magrin would claps tightly for a breath then release easily while his gaze flickered between Brenna and Solveig. Chuckling briefly when he'd seen what Brenna had written Magrin let his gaze drift towards her hands as she made signs. It would take time but he might be able to pick up more of the basics after awhile. Likely he'd never be more than adequate at it though.

He'd noticed Gylfi in the background as well. As grim as Magrin could be he wondered after the Nordenfiir who seemed to be perpetually angry. It was just that way for some he supposed. Of course right now Magrin himself seemed to be in reasonable spirits.

"Is that not always how it goes with Brothers and their Sisters?"...Magrin chuckled, turning his head after he'd done that so that he could turn his eyes towards Solveig, the Blacksmith..."And my eyes are fine. Even if they weren't it would be hard to miss someone as obvious as you."...it was both a play on the fact that Solveig Odasson was taller than him and the fact that Magrin knew what he was doing. The Gray haired Nord might play at only being interested in drink and battle but he more aware than he let on..."Also, my hair is fine."...ok, Solveig might have got him a bit there.

Arnor didn't sleep well. He never did, anymore. It wasn't a matter of nightmares or restlessness, but the simple fact that he didn't require much sleep to function. Or perhaps it was a survival function as well. He hadn't much to say, unlike the rest of the party. Arnor was usually more reserved nowadays, quiet in his speech. For such a large man, he was awfully soft-spoken and fairly quiet. Perhaps it was the hunter in him, or just his life experience. In the Summerlands, being the strong-silent type paid dividends. People left him alone there, but here-

Here he couldn't escape socializing.

Arnor was lightly armored and geared, two swords on his back. One silver, one steel. Silver-lined, that was. A fully silver sword, he found, broke too easily. But he traveled and fought enough that he knew what he would need for something like this. And he knew the area well enough that he was confident that finding fresh food and supplies weren't an issue.

Arnor wrapped his left hand, and only his left, in a tight-fitting cloth. He used his left in combat as much as he did his sword, punching and grabbing as much as he could. He learned the dirty fighting in his time as a slave to the pits, fighting to survive. As one Gladiator put it, "the only fair fight was the one you lost."

He took that to heart. He checked the iron knuckles he carried with him, tucked inside of a pouch on his belt. Quick and accessible.

He looked at the party, but eyes lingered on Maude for a while, before darting away to finish his preparation. Compared to most, he was lightly-equipped, a testament to his experience, or his foolhardiness, depending on who you asked.

An easy nod to Magrin Kor . The play and barb was noted with a quirked and wry grin, but it wasn't harsh enough to not be welcomed. Life was meant to be *lived* in all fashions one could. Not feared or shirked from. This banter, free, was the essence of him honestly. Besides, he wasn't far off, Brenna Ardullsson was cute enough, certainly caught his eye. And had an air about her the smith appreciated. But that was hardly in the cards for him with anyone. Let alone one with a brother like Valthar who could probably pick Solveig up and use his skull for a forge-hammer.

Suddenly a broad and genuine smile split his face.

" Gylfi Runarsson ! It has been years! Well met!"

A hearty smile as he stood to, nodding to the man but not approaching. He had a habit of tormenting Gylfi like a little brother. And Gylfi had a habit of trying to break Solveig or his bones. Or both.

Behind Brenna, Valthar, and Magrin stood Gylfi, toned arms folded across his chest under the fur cloak he wore. The sound of Solveig's voice brought a nasty scowl to his face, and while nasty scowls commonly passed over his demeanor, this one was particularly that. He bared almost fang-like teeth at Solveig and mouthed the words fuck you to him and spat at the snow.

"Why do you have to be here?" Gylfi grumbled for the twenty-third time that morning.

A flurry of bad memories came to Gylfi then. Ants under his blanket, pig shit in his boots and several similar instances plagued the young man's mind. The last time Gylfi saw Solveig, the latter had tried approaching the oldest of Gylfi's three sisters (she is only a year younger), and consequently suffered a horribly broken nose.

In typical Solveig fashion, the issue was apparently forgiven, as he appeared to be in happy spirits. The same could not be said for Gylfi, and he muttered a number of profanities under his breath.

Last edited:
"We'll have enough challenges to deal with without petty squabbles," Maude had been standing directly behind Gylfi when the stream of profanity exited his mouth. Outside the second bell tolled across the city.

"Time to go."

FROSTPEAK SOUTHERN PASS
proxy.php

It would take the group well into the twilight hours of the night to leave the realm of Nordengaard's capital, following a snow-covered trail through the winter mountains it sat nestled in. Still several months yet to go before the cold season passed, their path was treacherous. Winds at this elevation were relentless, taking breath and body away should one not hunker down against them well. Already the light of day was diminishing, leaving the path to be forged by Mikaela Ryurik at the front.

The snow was waist deep in areas, easier to navigate in svalen form, and the already bitter cold was growing worse with the waning light of day. They reached the precipice of the ridge, looking down upon a narrow, steep trail that wound itself in hairpin turns down the other side. A trail that would take several careful hours to navigate to the bottom.

The group pressed on, idle banter echoing through the mountain range as the silver light of two moons filled the ridge valley.

A rumble sounded. Deep and ominous like the distant waking thundering of a frost giant. Only frost giants didn't live in these small valleys.

"Hold-" Maude paused at the back of the group, several yards behind, eyes wide as she cast a glance around, and then upwards, "everyone hold!"

RUMBLE

RUMBLE

Avalanche.

proxy.php

"Go! Get to the rock face and take cover! Go-" and then the snow around her shifted, groaned, and gave out beneath her feet, plunging down along the levels of the mountain slope and taking the Queen with it.

~~~
OOC: Use your luck rolls to help dictate your posts! These are LUCK rolls, not damage rolls.

Luck (BAD) 1 - 5 (GOOD)

Maude - 1
Solveig Odasson - 2
Arnor Skuldsson - 3
Magrin Kor - 3
Mikaela Ryurik - 3
Brenna Ardullsson - 4
Valthar - 4
Hugi - 5
Gylfi Runarsson - 5
Talus - 6

Last edited:
During the rugged hiking, Hugi had fallen into a particularly deep snow bank able to come up to his chest. Blinking, he looked around before shaking his head and pushing through the deeper part. "Damned soft spots." He grumbled, slowly trudging out of it as he lunged forward and then set himself back before repeating the rocking motion until he was out of the hole he had found. Other parts of their trip had not been so bad, until the deep rumble come nightfall happened. His eyes shone light red in the night, part of the nordenfiir blood at work as Maude called for them to hold.

His trudging stopped, listening to the rumble as his sense of urgency kicked adrenaline through his system, recognizing something bad was happening as he made for an outcropping of rocks. The rooster-tails of snow as he plowed a path on either side of him looked nothing like the tremendous terror that he had spied ahead of him through the slit vision of his helm.

He had refused to take the thing off, choosing to clean out the occasional packing of snow than be comfortable. Besides, the branches he occasionally smacked against couldn't hit his eyes this way when he wandered off to take a leak.

The large man found the outcropping easily, a hand out to pull anyone behind him into cover as the snow came rumbling towards them. He had heard Maude cut off mid speech, but couldn't do anything for her at the moment. Panic and dread settled into him deeper than any fear for his own life ever had before. His svalen form would handle the task of finder her quicker than this form would. But first he had to survive the incoming threat.

Brenna was thanking the Pale King fervently for her people's skill in Hunting and her mothers teachings in how to ensure you stepped lightly. It didn't often help the bulkier men who went out on such missions - their size and weight just went against the concept - but Brenna had inherited her mothers slight and slender form and also her ability to put minimum weight into her step. It was this that was the only reason she hadn't sought the warmth of her fur; as a bear whilst she would have the grip she would probably be facing the same problem most of the group were in falling through the snow. It was amusing her greatly that she was actually the same height as a few of her compatriots who were up to their hips or waist in snow whilst she walked along the bank.

Her real problem was trying to avoid the massive holes Hugi made whenever he fell through a soft patch, causing a small avalanche around him. If she strayed too close the snow under her foot became uneven and slipped. Only once had she ended up in the crater he left behind and she had quickly learned from her mistake.

Bre was walking with her silent guardian, attempting to coax some sort of conversation out of him, when she felt the rumble beneath her feet and stopped, cocking her head. It seemed the others had too. With Maude behind her she didn't see her words but she got the gist when Hugi began moving with a quicker pace and the rumbling through her feet got worse. Trying to keep her weight as off her feet as possible whilst moving with speed it almost looked like she skipped her way to the rock face, but she didn't waste much time, tearing the bag from her back and rummaging through it.

Always be prepared was what her uncle had said. Seizing the piece of rope in the bottom of her pack she yanked it out and threw it down just as the worst of the avalanche swept past, tying the other end to one of the rocks as she did. Perhaps one or two people who were not as quick would be able to reach the rope if not the rock.

Knee-deep she sank into the snow, but her fairly light and lean stature gave her some advantages as it always did. To her surprise Brenna ran across the snow like a ghost. Floating almost, only dodging the gaping holes made by the bigger Nordenfiir. Mika made a mental note to ask her about it when they would camp, in a day or so. Tips and tricks for a successful hunt or quiet movements were always welcome if you asked the raven head. As she plowed through the snow with her gaze going back to Talus once in a while, she tried to listen to her surroundings as best as she could.

Unfortunately she missed the signs. When the snow came in enormous blocks of white she tried to make it to the hideout between the rocks, but failed to do so. Without the warning from Maude she would have certainly sailed all the way to the bottom of the mountain.

Right now, with snow in her eyes and ears, she tried to cling onto the rocks as not to slide too far down. The weight was becoming unbearable when her fingers found rope. Without even questioning where this rope was coming from, she wrapped both her hands and feet around it while trying to stay as close to the mountain side as was possible. Once the snow stopped falling, she tried to find the rest of her party. Breathing heavily and blinking away the white crystals stuck between her lashes, Mika shook off the majority of the snow to look up and then below. Hanging somewhere in the middle, she figured out that she might as well use the rope to slide a bit further toward something vaguely resembling a path.

Dammit

She had already failed in her job. At least some seemed to be still above her. Perhaps she could scout from here on, they might climb down as well. Of course she didn’t dare to yell for them to come over once her feet hit solid ground. Another avalanche was the last thing they needed right now.

Talus?
Maude?

For now it was unclear where some of them were hidden. She sniffed, trying to find the familiar scents. One of them appeared to having left a trace toward the bottom. A light panic spread through Mika's chest. They had to be quick now, no matter the strength and the svalen, the girl didn't want to risk losing their queen in the snow.

* * *​

Gylfi's silence during the early stage of their journey was likely an unexpected thing to the party. Surprisingly, the unfavorable conditions did nothing in regards to frustrating the young man. That being said, his attitude was far from anything that could be considered pleasant, and he'd fended off Brenna's attempts at striking up conversation with what could only be aptly described as a cold shoulder. The short woman, nearly standing at an equal level to even the tallest in the party, was like an insect buzzing about, skipping about the snow like a water bug would with, well, water.

It did pique his curiosity, however, and he wondered if there was a trick behind her effortless maneuver over the snow's surface. The thought of breaking apart the snow by her feet to have her fall in entertained him for a moment, but that moment was a fleeting one as a subtle rumble stimulated his instincts.

Confirming his fears, Maude shouted to the party. First, Gylfi looked up the mountain's slope, then his head and torso twisted back as the Queen's voice abruptly cut off. He saw nothing but the others that had been further behind their leader and grumbled. Gylfi faced forward again and clambered through the snow to catch up to his ward, who'd hurried on ahead to the rock formation.

Falling sheets of snow and ice slammed into Gylfi as he trudged onward, though they did little save for slowing the young nordenfiir. He reached an unoccupied length of rope and begin to pull himself up towards Brenna, eventually passing her and placing himself in a position between her and the oncoming snow.

He looked down at the woman and snorted.

Staying close to Hugi was both a boon and a bane. The enormous man could plough through small snow drifts with ease and he left a nice compact trail of prints to follow. He also kept sinking and forcing Valthar to find different routes to press on.

Unlike his sister, he was perfectly at ease with silence. It had been his companion on his fishing boat and it had followed him across the summer lands home.

Maude shouted a warning and he took a moment watching the oncoming drift. He was lucky enough to have some rocks close by, but it was a choice between running perpendicular to the flow to get away from the centre, or hanging on. He decided to hang on.

The rocks were an easy hold, but the snow flowed over the top and soon encased Valthar in darkness. His body against the rocks had formed a good pocket of air. He waited for his friend, the silence, to herald the end of the avalanche.

Talus turned his head as the mountain began to shake, snow and ice falling from the caps of the tallest peaks.

Eyes bulged for a brief second, and instinct struck him.

Most of his training for the environment had been about survival in the Falwood, in the deep jungles of the islands of the Cortosi Sea, even thriving in the deserts of Amol-Kalit. Snow and tundra were new to him, but his response was nearly the same.

As the tidal wave of snow struck the party Talus' skin suddenly shifted to a translucent blue.

The Avalanche rushed through him, pulling at his ghostly form but not succeeding in dragging him away. He moved with three steps, pushing himself above the rushing avalanche until he found himself standing atop the sliding ice.

He moved atop it easily, enough a ghostly after image of a person only stopping once the snow had begun to settle.