Discussion Seaships and Airships

Kassa Lia

The Darksome One
Character Biography
Link
A few questions!

Are there airships? Ones that might, say, run on magical fuel like crystals or reservation of magical energy? I don't want a huge fleet of airships, mind you, just a small one that could serve as a fancy way to travel. If so, what would they look like, etc.? Please give me some details on this.

As for seaships, are they allowed? What kind of weapons would they use in place of cannons, since there is no gunpowder? Do they shoot magical missiles, giant crossbow bolts, smaller ballistas, etc.?

I would very much appreciate the help!

• Yay
Reactions: Velaeri
Airships are technically considered lost dwarven tech/magic. But there are a few around. They aren't big and they aren't fast, and they aren't crafted in numbers (like a fleet). These would be unique things and they would be difficult to construct and even more difficult to keep aloft. But, in general, if you're creative about it and keep things balanced, you're golden.

And yes - sea ships are very much a thing. We've had some pretty amazing fleets developed and written, as well as some pretty large scale ships. No canons, as you said, but you could outfit your forces with mages, smaller ballistas, crossbows, etc.

In peoples histories I've seen the dwarves mentioned in relation to airships. I guess in my head I've pictured them as more like blimps powered with heat and air as that makes the most sense in a more medieval fantasy fashion.

proxy.php

I personally see airships as being the rarest of the rare. Requiring research abd raw luck to find enough information/blueprint to use to build one. And yeah more blimp like as Caliane Ruinë said.

If you wanted a lore friendly way of having one then I'd recommend some ancient Dwarven hold diving in the Spine. More than enough talk about them being all over the mountains to support finding a particularly ancient one to find schematics in.

Kassa Lia

Thank you all! I appreciate the help. For another community I was involved in the airships were more... techy I guess, so I'm happy you all stick with something more in line with the fantasy medieval genre.

Thanks again!