Private Tales Rising Heat

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Harry

Washed Up
Character Biography
Link
The moderate temperature around the Academy was a great relief compared to that of the Ixchel Wilds and Iuk-'U Delta. There was no torrential rain, no swamps, and, most importantly, no mosquitoes. Henry, as odd as it was to say, was almost glad to be at the Academy. Though, as his horse trotted through the Academy's courtyard and young apprentices looked up at the Dreadlord in awe and fear, that sentiment became fleeting.

Eyes remained set on the Dreadlord's back until he entered the central keep. The wooden door screeched against the stone floor as Hal shut it behind him, the noise echoing off the walls. Banners of red, black, and white hung from the walls, and the keep was dimly lit. Everything was dim in the Academy, and sometimes for months at a time, it felt as if not even the sun shone over the campus. Hal could handle the cold, but listening to his footfalls echo off of melancholy walls, a shiver shot up his spine.

Hal stopped in the middle of the room; pillars and hanging banners surrounded him. Several doorways led to several parts of the keep, but he had no use for any of them. The Dreadlord paced for a moment, looking in a circle at his surroundings. It would be a lie for him to admit he did not have any anxiety in answering the summons that brought him here. The person he was to meet with was somebody he hadn't seen in over a year, but he would meet with her, and soon they would be away to the west in search of a magical artifact.

He tightly wrung his riding gloves in his hands in nervous expectation.

• Love
Reactions: Sierra
A year.

Sierra hadn't see the father of their child in a year. Rose, their little girl, was already trying to walk. In fact, Sierra balanced the baby on one hip. She had stormy-grey eyes like her mother and her father's hair. Though it was a little risky, Sierra wanted Rose to see her father. She wanted Hal to see Rose.

And Sierra wasn't worried about the others. Where she was meeting Hal was pretty empty this time of day. Most dreadlords were on missions or serving their houses. Students were at the academy. And being an empath, Sierra could certainly curb the emotions of suspicion undetected - if needed.

Rose's little palms made grabby hands in the air as she squirmed within Sierra's arms, little legs kicking along the sides of her hip. "Restless already. I know sweet girl."

If she didn't know about, she felt like her daughter knew she was about to see her daddy.

As Sierra and Rose rounded the corner, she was surprised by what she saw. No longer the boy from the Academy days. Muscles more filled out. A face that had been through a lot more things...trials perhaps? A hardness to his lips. It was clear Hal had left the days of boyhood far behind. She even sensed his power, it seemed to crackle with an intensity around him she hadn't felt before.

Rose gurgled and smiled, extending her grabby hands toward the man before them. Sierra spoke first. "Hello Hal," she felt her heart betray her even as she tried to square and straighten her shoulders in strength.

• Wonder
Reactions: Harry
A sound that had only been a distant memory over the last year rang out. Henry turned to the familiar sound, the very same one he'd come to love over the span of several years. The Dreadlord's exterior was cold and emotionless, hardened from the things he's seen and done. Though, as always, the stoic veneer melted away at the sight of the auburn-haired woman.

"Sierra," he whispered and somehow managed to avoid smiling like an idiot at her. He took a few steps towards her before stopping dead, finally realizing what she held in her arms. A baby. The last time he'd seen her, her belly had noticeably rounded out, now there was nothing. Four stormy eyes looked at the man, and he could feel himself shrinking.

"That... is she..."

He'd fought fearsome, ungodly creatures from the wilds far beyond the Spine, deadly renegade elves, and even a rogue Archon. Nothing before compared to what unease he felt now. Of course, how to properly be a parent was never explained to the ice mage, but he knew, deep down, that he should have seen them sooner.

"I-" he swallowed hard, "I'm sorry."

• Bless
Rose had no concept of anger or betrayal. She just saw the man before her and her face shown. Sierra tried to keep her face clear of emotion as she felt Hal's bubble from him.

He truly was sorry.

Her resolve to be indifferent was melting the longer she blinked into the glacial, blue orbs. And Rose's insistence on being held by her father was also not helping. She sighed.

"I understand busyness, Hal." She, of course, had been having a child. Their child. Taking care of said child. Pledging to the Academy and rising within the ranks. And rising within the Underground ranks with clandestine meetings.

Rose nearly squirmed from her arms. "Here. Just...," before Hal could protest, she plopped the litter girl in his arms. She'd google and coo, looking up at him, little pudgy fingers and fists grabbing up at him.

"We can talk about things...later." Maybe once they were far away from the walls, ears, and eyes of Vel Anir.

• Sip
Reactions: Harry
Sierra thrust the baby into his grasp, which he held with slightly outstretched arms as small, soft hands attempted to grab at his face. He wore a slight frown as the baby wriggled in his hands.

"Her name?" he said and kept the child held out in front of him, his hands tucked under Rose's arms.

"Right, yes, later." Hal kept his eyes trained on the kid, and after a while, they swept to the woman that birthed her.

"So, you came back to the Academy?" Talus to the Guard, Sierra to the Academy. His friends, ones who'd shown much more promise than he during their time as Apprentices, now took unconventional paths, and he stood above them. Hal didn't fail to miss the irony there. "Did you hear about Talus? He swore to the guard." And it had been a controversial thing, and considerably shifted the balance of power in Vel Anir, even if the effects weren't immediately apparent.

• Yay
"Rose," Sierra watched Hal closely. It was almost comical. A powerful man such as he, not sure how to hold a child. Their child. Sierra schooled her features, hiding a smile that wanted to bubble up. At the call of a name, a nanny came into view and took Rose.

With Sierra's rank and position, she'd been afforded childcare help. Not to mention, Vel Anir was keeping a close eye on the child to see if it displayed magical aptitude. Sierra of course, would never let Rose be taken. But that was neither here nor there.

"I'll be back in a few weeks," the servant nodded as Sierra leaned in and planted a kiss on Rose's cheek. The two disappeared back out of the room and Sierra had Hal to herself. She shifted the pack at her back and began walking with him toward the portal stone.

"I did hear," she said quietly. She'd been at Talus' choosing ceremony. "Many are still not happy about it. And I meant what I said. Before. I want to make the Academy a better place."

She chose her words carefully.

"Even if it's slow going. I find myself at a disadvantage. You know about myself and Talus and yet, I don't know what you've been up to." That wasn't entirely true. She had a network of spies now. But she wanted to see how much Hal chose to tell her.

She waited for him to start the stone.