Open Chronicles Ripples In The Pond

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Runa

Character Biography
Link
Runa quivered a little as the water was colder than she had thought, but soon her body would no longer be plagued with the goosebumps that now run wild along her alabaster skin. She carefully made her way into the large pond that a waterfall overlooked.

It was a pretty little secret that many hadn’t found, and she was glad. She needed this peace to help bring balance back into her life. The clear liquid hugged her form as she finally dived into the deep end of the pond and the sudden shock of cold sent a zap down her spine, just as fast her body acclimated to chill of the water.

She wasn’t completely nude, a makeshift brown cloth like strap covered her chest and a matching loincloth covered her nether regions but everything else was seen and though she was small, she had a nice shape, then again beauty was in the eye of the beholder.

Runa found that it was more shallow under the waterfall, where she was able to stand up, the water came to her thighs and she took this opportunity to let the cool water cascade down her long red hair, raising her arms up she’d sink her fingers into the wet locks and gently massage any dirt that was trapped beneath.

The idea that danger could creep up at any time was pushed aside by the sensation of pleasure from just being clean. A rookie mistake for some, but again whom really would by chance find this spot

Ishar had lost track of how long he'd been traveling. It seemed like years now, the days rolling by and the months passing in a blink.

Most of the time it wasn't too bad. The isolation would have gotten to most, driven them insane, but he managed to keep himself together. A night or two in a village here, working on a farm for a week there. It was simple, easy.

Kept him alive and fed well enough.

All he ever had to do was make sure that during the shift he was nowhere near civilization. It was why he had come out all the way here. His map showed no villages, no life, nothing at all. It was three days now until the full moon, three days until the wolf came and took him.

He hoped not to run into a single soul.

Pushing through the thick undergrowth of the forest Ishar pressed onward. In the distance he could hear the sounds of waterfall and with an absent mind he tapped his canteen. A hollow sound rang back, and he let out a grunt.

Shaking his head he turned, heading directly towards the one thing he didn't want to see.

Runa continue to be unaware of the danger that came ever closer to her, though there was a chance that she wasn’t in any trouble. The likely hood of this was small, but it was there. A twist as she turned herself to the side enjoying the water as it continues to cascade down her small form.
It was sensation that the water gave her was freeing, she was able to travel within the deepest part of my mind and finally pull the weeds if stress from it. A soft tune flowed from her lips in a soft humming.
The lush surrounding vegetation that grew around the little paradise of Runa’s was easily pushed past and beautiful. It had bits of different colors that were native to the area that anyone whom found themselves here could possibly find pleasant.

• Sip
Reactions: Ishar Morrad
Ishar continued to press through the underbrush, his hands already reaching back to grab the empty canteen.

There would be no time for waiting around here, he had to get deeper into the forest before the three days were up. At times the wolf could take over earlier. It happened infrequently, but he'd experienced it once or twice before.

Usually when the moons were in certain positions.

The sound of the waterfall rang in his ears as he pushed aside a large branch. His gaze fell on a pool of water, then something else caught his ear.

It was a tune of sort, a hum. "Shit."

Ishar said the word as pure reaction when he spotted the girl. The curse was more for himself than for her. Why was she here? Was she with others? Did she come from a village?

This wasn't good.

• Popcorn
Reactions: ZafiraJade and Runa
Her eyes fluttered opened and something caught in the side of her eye, her head snapped in a turn toward the moving of the bushes, her hands slowly moved from her hair to know a more defense position.

She stepped forward out of the cascading water so she could hear more clearly. Runa tilted her head up in the air and began to sniff the air. Her brow furrowed as she could smell a masculine aroma from around her, this was no animal, but something off, she would try to remember what she was taught

“I know you are there, I can smell you!” She called out as she stepped furthermore forward, the water brushed against her skin leaving a collection of small waves behind.

“Come out and face me.” She demanded as she had no clue if this was someone that wanted to harm her, or just a stranger or something else. Did it even understand her, she followed her instinct and kept herself alert?

Smell him?

What was she a tracker pig? They were used in the Blightlands to find mushrooms and the like, better noses than dogs and generally more hardy. Didn't tend to get distracted as easily either. He frowned for a moment, then stepped forward.

There was a rustle of brush as he pushed aside a large branch. "Not gonna hurt you."

Not as long as he could control himself anyway. He still had three days before that was a worry though, which was something at least.

"Just here for some water." Ishar continued. "Didn't know someone was already using it"

• Haha
Reactions: ZafiraJade
She relaxed her form just a little, the sign of this was the slight lowering of her arms and her hands weren’t as squeezed so tightly in fists.
The man before her, was just that a man, no that doesn’t give him justice a warrior, like the ones she had seen entering her home.

Was he truly stating the truth? He was just looking for water. It’s possible, then again, she’d have to tread lightly still. Her eyes would dart toward the side in the direction of her horse, then back toward him.
Her horse was most likely still enjoying a lovely lunch of a variety of wild fruits and the like. Runa moved a bit closer but kept a slight distance as she made sure wherever she stepped, that she had good footing just in case.
“I see, then please don’t let me stop you.” She gestured.
“It’s a common mistake.”
This male was something else, he smelled familiar and yet she had never seen him before, what was it. The scent was like, Oh, she could just put her finger on it and yet it was so out of reach.
“What are you?” She blurted out, she wasn’t one for being tactful and well, the idea of not knowing was a big pet peeve. Why, she loved reading, books gave her answers and taught her things that are wonderful, dangerous but wonderful.

• Cheer
Ishar stopped as he was about to dip his canteen into the water of the small spring, his lips thinning as he looked up at her.

The question wasn't exactly one that he could answer easily.

Part of that was because he had absolutely no idea what he was in the first place. Some would call him a monster, others a Templar, and still others just a broken down old wanderer. It was hard to put into words, harder to express to a stranger.

His lips thinned, hands shaking slightly. "I am a wanderer."

That was the best answer to give.

"A man." He continued. "Just looking to survive."

Though he didn't even know if he wanted to do that anymore."[/color]

She tilted her head to the side, the matted hair that dripped with water moved slightly to the side, as she looked confused by his answer. Runa studied him more, every inch as he knelt before her to fill his flask, as he stopped to look up to her. She’d sniffed the air gently and shook her head.
“No, that’s not it.” She was admitted that either this wanderer had no clue what he was, or he was playing a game with her, either way he was indeed tired and torn. He was struggling inside himself and it showed in his expression and mannerism.
“When you’re ready, you’ll be able to tell me.” She stated. He was a broken creature and she would treat him with compassion and caution, after all a broken anything can still be dangerous.
“I caught some fish and have some tea, you look like you could use a nice meal, you are welcome to join me.” Another gesture as she began to move toward the side of the pond, the shallow end had disappeared and soon she’d start swimming to her destination.
Once her bare feet reached the bank of the pond and she pulled herself up in a standing position, he was now able to see her anatomy. Runa was small, slender and yet still there was hints that she was stronger than she seemed, water dripped down her alabaster skin leaving small puddles on the green grass.

• Sip
Reactions: Kasim Areth
Did she know?

It didn't seemed possible that she would. There was nothing outward that told his story, no sign of the curse that sat heavy upon his shoulders. He could not have given it away himself.

Was she a Witch?

The blight lands had a few of them, though most worked for the Great fire giant in Molthal. He wondered briefly, watching her and listening to the kindness of her tone. Maybe not a witch, a sorcerers or something else? The former Templar couldn't help but be weary, not quite prepared to do anything at all.

It had been months seen he'd seen another person, longer since they had shown him any semblance of kindness. It was mostly his own fault of course, he kept himself apart from civilization on purpose. The temptation to venture into town was always there, but it was too dangerous. Still, he hadn't tasted tea since Leaving the Blightlands.

"Your hospitality is…appreciated." Three days.

That was what he still had until the wolf took him. He could enjoy some tea until then.

A nod from her was all the acknowledgement she gave the stranger, as she pivoted on her foot, bent down and gently retrieved the fish, she had so cleverly hidden in the pond. She lifted the leather straps that the now lifeless creatures dangled from.
She gestured for him to follow as she carried her prize toward her little camp. It wasn’t far from where the pond was, just enough to be out of sight and unlikely found by strangers, at least that’s what she hoped.
The small clearing was in fact rather pleasant, it had several large beautiful trees of all different kinds hiding it from any real danger. Her horse Thanes, a gorgeous chestnut stallion with a white strip of hair down the middle of his face was tied to a tree that happened to be close enough to the camp, that he’d be safe and yet she left enough reign for him to eat and feel not so confined.

In the middle of this encampment there was a circle of stones and within rested all different shapes and sizes of lumber, looming over the wood was a makeshift spit, ready to impale itself on whatever she caught that day. Runa moved through the camp to only stop by a large bolder to set her fish on, as she darted toward her horse.
She quickly soothed the beast who was nervous about the newcomer and soon Thanes calmed enough she could get into her large leather bag, she carried on his back. The flap was easily flipped up as she dug inside to grab two items, one was a brown well warn blanket, it looked clean but very used and the next seem to be another blanket, a beautiful red cloth with gold trim, also well used but seemed to be more cared for then the brown one.

She’d close the flap and dart back over to the fire and moved to a space that was a good distance that when the fire reached the stranger, he would feel warm and not over heated. She began to lay the brown blanket out on the ground, and with a warm smile she gestured.

“Here, rest here, it will help make you feel a bit better.” She looked back to the blanket straightening out some wrinkles.

“Also, wrap this around you, it’ll keep you warm until I get the fire going.” She placed the red blanket on the brown cloth where he could grab it once comfortable.

Now, what Runa didn’t add to this, was the fact both blankets were enchanted, when a person sat or laid upon the brown blanket it felt as if they were resting on the most comfortable bed they had ever found in their life. It was a small enchantment but nice when you found the ground to hard to lay on.
The red blanket well would warm whomever wrapped it around their body, it would never overheat the creature within, no it would keep them cozy. Runa gave him another comforting expression, before turning back to go and get the fire started.

She was still slightly naked and yet, she never let the stranger know that she was cold as well, no Runa was to much into the tasks that needed to be done, to worry about how her skin was now covered in goosebumps and her body wanted to shiver.

She knelt down and gently she picked up two rocks that she had resting by the fire, they looked like normal river rocks but when she banged them both together, sparks flew into the wood and soon the smoldering smoke began to rise into the air. The ember that Runa gently blew on gave birth to a beautiful flame that danced around setting fire to the other sticks.

It crackled and popped with content as Runa made sure it was big enough to cook her fish and make tea. She stood up once more and headed over to make the tea and cook the lunch she had promised, with a few seasonings she had in a small bag, she sprinkled on the fish, after cleaning them and gently placed them on the spit.

She also began the make the kettle of tea on the fire, once all were preparing, she took this time to go and get her clothes on, she’d move behind her Thanes and began to dress herself.

“It won’t take long for the tea to be ready, the fish on the other hand will, I have some fruit if you wish to nibble on that while you wait?” She asks, as she tied her boot strings.

• Cheer
Reactions: Talus
The woman was such a whirlwind of hospitality that Ishar had trouble responding to her at all.

Before he even knew what was going on she had somehow set up and prepared a picnic of sorts and offered him a blanket as well as everything else that she had mentioned before. He stood in front of the display and blinked slowly, mouth agape.

He was oddly reminded of his first encounter with a girl he'd once traveled with; Rose.

Their first meeting had been wildly different than this one, but the responsibility and the quickness of hospitality reminded him of her. A smile touched his lips, the memories of his friend still more than fresh in his mind.

"I don't think I need a blanket." He hadn't really felt cold since the curse had come to him.

"But thank you." The Templar said as he stepped forward and sat himself down. "I'll be alright until the fish I think."

Though he was oddly excited for the tea. "What are you doing out here? If I may ask?"

Runa hadn’t really thought of how it looked as she moved from one spot to the next, she was used to doing it not just herself but for her people. She glanced up toward him as he spoke, finishing up a nice knot that connected her pouch to her waist.
A nod of her head acknowledging his pass on the fruit and the wait for the fish and tea. She’d move back around her horse, now in her armor of leathers, fur, animal bones and the like.
She shrugged her shoulders.
“I come here when I need peace from the chaos of my home.” She stated gently as she moved to check the kettle which seemed ready to become tea. Once more she stood moving to grab a hand carved wooden mug from her sack, closing the flap once more, she began to make the strangers tea.
“I doubt you’ll answer this question, but are you a mercenary?” She looked up at him for a moment when she asked that.
It was a fair question, only those who ever came close to her home were to kidnapped one of her kind. She had been kidnapped before, it wasn’t pleasant at all, then again, she had help getting out of the situation.
The aroma coming from the mug was very nice, so many earthy smells mixed with something else, berries? She moved over to him and gingerly held it out to him.
“Here you go.” She stated, it was hot obviously as the steam moved up in the cool air like a snake charmed by its master’s flute. It’s why she didn’t state the obvious and say careful its hot.
She moved to take a seat back down near him but enough away to keep an eye on the fishes that were cooking. Runa found it out that she wasn’t shy with this fellow, then again, did she really have a choice, he was something different and maybe it was the Adrenalin running threw her that put that luxury of shyness to the side.

• Sip
Ishar took the tea and frowned slightly, glancing down at the liquid for a moment as he considered the question she'd asked. "No."

It was a curt answer, but he quickly moved to explain.

"I don't sell my sword to anyone." Never had. There were a few mercenaries in the Blightlands, though most of them worked for the Great Fire Giant. For people like Ishar though they were seen as a threat.

In general there was no real problem with mercenary work, sometimes it was all a good soldier could do to make a living. For Ishar though it had never been all that appealing. Especially given his current...'condition'. Most contracts lasted longer than thirty days, and he simply couldn't risk it.

"I was a Templar." He explained. "South of here."

Lips thinned. "A long time ago."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Runa
The fish were almost ready a few more moments and they would help bring strength back to the stranger. She tilted her head to the side, as she spun the fish a little more, but her eyes studied him.

A Templar, how strange, but then his wording was also strange as she began to try and see what he was really saying. Runa nodded to his answer as she sprinkled more herbs on the fish.

The smell wasn’t awful, not it was pleasant as it moved through the air.

“I see.” She stated as she sniffed the air again, she could almost taste his layers, there were so many and yet that one she couldn’t touch, it bothered her and yet she knew with patience she’d find out soon.

“Templar’s haven’t been seen in, Hjerim, in some time, and usually when they did come, it was more out of.” A silence fell over her, as she removed the fish from the pole they were impaled on.

Placing one on a makeshift plate made from a large leaf, moving over toward him and handing it out to him.

“It wasn’t pleasant, here, you can have mine, I’m alright for now.” She knew he must have been starving and she’d be fine, not like she couldn’t catch another fish, and she still had some fruits.

This creature needed more then she did, besides again a little honey never hurt. She’d move back to her spot once he took the fish and gently sat by the fire gently poking at the coals with a stick.

“Your safe, if that helps.” She didn’t look at him, as she continued to tease the fire to make it grow more angry, to keep it going.

• Dab
He was never really worried about being safe, mostly because his life was no longer valued.

At least in his own eyes.

The beast inside of him was a threat to those around him. Men, women, children. The Wolf inside of him did not care what prey he found, just that he found it. The only reason that Ishar had yet to end the blight was his own cowardice.

A shame he would not share with the woman. "My brothers are often misguided."

Ishar offered.

The Templar functioned differently in different places. He knew that in the west most Templars hunted monsters and creatures of the Wilds. In the east they focused almost entirely on the undead, and his own Chapter in the Blightlands and tried to turn the tide against Molthal.

"But I do not worry about them coming after me." He assured her. "Most think I am dead."

All of them in fact. "Your peace will not be disturbed."

That promise came as he took the fish from her, offering her a grateful smile as he ate.

• Popcorn
As the man spoke, she could hear the sorrow in his words, a great price was paid for his brothers to think him dead.

Runa stopped poking the bright orange embers as she glanced toward him with a half-smile a nod letting him know he was welcome for the food. She slowly moved the pieces of this puzzle he put before her around, to figure out why would the Templar’s leave him.

Templar’s were great warriors but still they flawed in many things, especially their purest attitude. She watched him and so this man might have done something to lose favor with his people. They wouldn’t leave their dead, if it was an honorable death, they’d have a great passing, she’d seen it before once.

That was for another time, she’d nod her head as he spoke and still her mind moved around picking his character a part piece by piece and soon, she found herself feeling more understanding for his situation then fear or concern.

It had to be very bad indeed well to the Templar’s, what could it be, the idea twisted in her mind as she thought up different scenarios in which they’d think this Templar was dead.

“I take it you know of the Nordenfir?” She asked, now trying to slowly see what the man knew and possibly get a clue in to what the hell he was hiding from her.

This time she set her poking stick down and leaned over to another sack she had by her, that had fruit, berries and nuts of different kinds and began to place them in a make shift leave and gently moved them over toward him, she placed the fruit by him, in case he needed more to fill his belly.

“I’ll get you some more tea.” She stated with another compassionate smile as she gently picked up the mug and went back to the fire to refill his glass. As she leaned close to him, the aroma of the wilds radiated from her, the sweetness mixed delightfully with the earthiness of the woods and something else.

• Yay
"I confess I do not." Ishar was not an ignorant man, not when it came to many subjects anyway.

He could hone a blade, forge things, even knew the histories of most western nations, but some things he was simply ignorant of. The Archives in the Blightland Templar's possession were not at all complete, and most of the time it was just information on different monsters.

It had never really bothered him much. He didn't think of himself stupid, simply inexperienced.

All knowledge came to him when it needed to. He did not seek it out, but he would gladly listen and understand as much of it as he could. "Please."

Ishar bade her.

"Tell me." This was the most social interaction that he'd had in nearly three months. Listening to the history of a people would be pleasant.

Even calming in it's own way.

• Love
She'd finish pouring when he asked to know more. The way he said it, didn't go neglected, the loneliness in it and the eager to hear her speak made her defenses slowly weaken.

She was once like him, but the difference was, the loneliness found her, while she was with her own kind.

Runa moved back to him setting the mug beside him, so he could easily grab it, when finished with the fish as she moved back to the fire.

“They are fierce warrior’s, much like your Templar’s but with one big difference.” She stopped picking up the stick once more and gently poking the embers.

“They can change into a bear willingly.” She probably shouldn’t have mentioned this but then again, she had to figure out what kind of character this Templar was. Her eyes would move toward his, watching his reaction.

If there was in hint to another piece to the puzzle, she wanted to honestly take those clothes off him, wash them and sew them into something much more comfortable, but that was just her seamstress coming out.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kasim Areth
Ishar was not fool enough to ignore the similarities between such people and his own condition, though he managed to keep his face smooth as she spoke.

The idea of anyone wanting to willingly change into any sort of animal seemed off to him, but he guessed that their own ability was wildly different from his own. For one, he was willing to guess that they could control their change.

When it happened, and what happened afterward. "I see."

There were old stories of Northmen. Those in the Tundra that moved and survived where no one else could. A few years ago he would have called her an idiot for believing in such things, but by now he had seen his fair share of...oddities.

"Not something many would admit to." He said with a smile. "At least in the Western world."

Something like that would be hung and burned in most 'civilized' areas.

• Scared
Watching his reaction closely she had another piece of the puzzle sticking it in its place. She quietly placed the stick down and turned him with a slight nod of the head.

“Yes, unfortunately many in this world, cherish fear and seek safety in the bubble of ignorance, fear doesn’t discriminate on how it makes its fools.” She gestured.

She leaned over and gently grabbed an apple from the sake and took a nice bite out of it, the crunching was nice sounding as white juice began to slowly slide down the corners of her lips, the back of her hand would fix the problem as she stared back at him.

“The Nordenfiir are not immune to this, unfortunately.” Another bite of the apple as she crunched away. She would have stated templar, but it was redundant, and he knew it.

“This doesn’t mean they aren’t wise, respectful and well nothing to fear unless you’ve come to harm them.” A half smiles.

“The point I bring this up, not everything is as you see.” She took another munch of apple.

“If you like, I can help mend those clothes you have on and make them better, if you like?” a slight gesture with the hand holding the half-eaten apple.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Talus
He nodded. "I don't mean to harm anyone."

Cryptic words, though truthful. Ishar himself hadn't hurt a single thinking being since all of this began. The Wolf though?

The very thought of those memories made him feel goosebumps running down his spine. Fingers tightened. Ishar remembered everything when he changed.

Not like he had done it, no.

The memories laid out before him as though he were a passenger watching things through his own eyes. The Wolf killed and slayed, did as he wanted to when he wanted to. There was no control from him, all he could do was watch.

Quickly he glanced down at his clothes as she offered.

"N-no." He shook his head. "That's alright."

The old Templar was not a fool, he knew what she was speaking of course. He could see the connections, the thin lines. "You have a village nearby?"

He asked softly.

The crunch of the last bite of apple echoed in the air, the juice once more spilled down the corner of her lips, a soft flick of her fingers made it fly in the air disappearing before them. She’d take note of his speech and how he reacted to her words.

Hmmm, this was interesting, she’d toss the apple to the side, so it may be what nature need it to be. He was obviously far more lost then she realized as she shrugged her shoulders.

“As you wish, but I’m a tailor and if you do change your mind, I can wash your clothes and have them ready for you in less then a day.” She glanced toward the fire then back to his question.

“Yes.” She decided not to go into the fact it wasn’t really a village but more like, well she wasn’t going to get into that right now.

Her eyes moved back to him watching him closely and gave an understanding expression, it wasn’t long ago she was like him wounded and afraid.

“You are not alone.” Her words whether he believed them or not were true, as she turned pulling her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Nayella
Ishar realized that he would have to flee again, or rather, move in a different direction than he had been.

The last thing that he'd wanted to do was endanger more people, and while these folk might he hardier than others...it would still be dangerous. Ishar had absolutely no idea what would happen if the Wolf ended up infecting someone like Runa.

How would that even work?

Would they lose control of their native form?

Would they become some sort of monster of the two?

Ishar had absolutely no idea, but he also wasn't really willing to find out. The sort of horror that he already was would be enough for him. Best to leave those questions unanswered and simply continue forth with his journey as it already was.

Deep in thought, he only snapped out of it when she spoke her last words. An odd range of emotion crossed his face the moment she said it, lips thinning and eyebrows ruffling slightly. "Perhaps I'm not."

He said with a soft smile.

"But I think it likely better I am." It always had been before.

• Popcorn
This time her eyes moved from the fire to him, they were now intensified by maybe from what she hid behind them, or the fire. It was getting ridicules with this little game of hers, its apparent that she was staring at a beat down Templar, who has lost everything, he was not living, no he was just going through the motions.

The idea a creature that had a good heart underneath all that confusion was in pain, wasn’t something she could stomach anymore. No more games she thought to herself, it was obvious that the being before wasn’t someone she really needed to worry about.

In came a deep breath that filled her lungs, and the exhale was just as deep, lacking those long legs of hers, she moved closer to him.

“I am not going to pussy foot anymore on this, you are lost, in more than one way, and I know it.” She gestured as she continued.

“You can’t go on this way Templar, it’s time to understand, take help that for some reason the fates have offered you and understand, you are safe here.” She pointed to three stones, one at a time, they looked normal at first glance, a closer examination would reveal each had small carved symbols that very few would know.

“Not only is this camp sight hidden in illusion, but it is also creating a bubble of protection, only I can allow those in.” Obviously why he was able to enter without so much as a problem.

“I am also an enchanter, of sorts.” Taking in another breath as she had laid her cards out, well not all her secrets were out.

“I’m Nordenfiir, there is no reason to run.” Only one of the important ones. It was her way of taking a shot in the dark to see what he would do.

• Wonder