Open Chronicles Researching in the Allirian Archives

A roleplay open for anyone to join

MylesWidogast

Seeking knowledge is always a constant journey.
Character Biography
Link
(Open to all!)
--Allirian Archives--

proxy.php

Myles sat in the Archives, like he usually does. Scrolls and various books on certain topics lay on the table in front of him. Widogast is researching a common tale of an Ancient City known as The Forbidden City. The Forbidden City has been given other monikers such as:
Qrste-bhto.
Eiero Yrim-qafh.
Oox-meqtwl.
Maout-laxlx axa Exi-qon.

An ancient city ripped to part by sandstorms and the blistering sun. Myles' father had been in the desert before but hasn't found this particular city to explore. Marek wouldn't set foot in there anyways. People near him were sitting at other tables minding their own business and researching other topics. A faculty member of the Archives came over to Myles and offered assistance.

"Would you like any assistance with your research lad?"

"Do you have any further text on the Forbidden City?"

The archivist stood there looking at the manuscripts that Myles had already dug up and replied.

"I am sorry son, any other manuscripts are held in Elbion. We only have copies of this material you have here. You would need to send a letter to the Elbion Archives to request a copy of any other manuscripts.....is there anything else I can assist you with?"

For such a rich trade city, the lack of some information was unsettling.

"No thank you....I'm all set. I am about to research something else anyways"

The older man nodded and whisked away to help other patrons with their research. Myles gathered up the cluttered maps, journal entries and biographies and gently placed them back on their respective shelves before moving on to a different subject: Magic.

Ancient scrolls were gathering some dust in this section as Myles carefully pulled select ones off the shelves.

• "Last Sojourn" a book written by Gildesh, greatest wizard of his age.
  • "Properties of Magicks and Perfecting Them" an edict written by Shorl Manthar, a scholar of magic.
  • "A Mage's Tale" a biography written by Moravius Urun, detailing info about Gildesh.
These were only a few of the finds that Myles had. Other than studying ancient civilizations, he had an affinity for studying about magic and various mages and their immense power.

Unfurling the scrolls and getting his parchment ready for copying he went to work and made copies for himself to reflect on. Making minute notes on how to harness magic and the properties that are needed, Myles felt more confident in progressing into the next phase of his studies: Physical practice.

"Perhaps I should study just a little bit more before I turn in for the night" he thought to himself.

• Yay
Reactions: Lia
The Allirian Archives were not a place she often visited, but after her last mission with Kaska she had thought that perhaps there was something still more to learn.

It had been a dangerous few weeks. With the Naga attack still in recent memory, and the Lich she'd encountered just a week before things had been...raucous to say the least. It had made the girl realize that there were some things she simply did not yet know, and that made her anxious.

She needed to learn more.

Werewolves, Liches, the Undead, anything and everything.

They were all a mystery to her, yet as the world was growing stranger she had begun to realize that things might not be so easy for the Rangers in the future. They would have to change things, adapt, and most importantly learn about other threats than just bandits.

So she had come here to the Archives. Lia had never been much of a reader, hell, it had been her least favorite thing to do as a child, but she would stomach it for her duty.

Slowly the young woman wandered through the shelves, searching for nothing in particular but eyeing some of the volumes on the occult.

• Yay
Reactions: MylesWidogast
Myles was glancing through the material he had picked out for his studies when a woman caught his eye. Wearing Allirian Ranger armor and having long brown hair, the young scholar put his papers down and looked at her.

I have seen her before....she looks so familiar Myles thought to himself.

Seeing the woman rummage through a few books he figured he would offer some sort of assistance.

"Excuse me miss, anything in particular you are looking for? I practically lived here my whole life"

Widogast would continue copying the last of a particular manuscript before he got up and proceed to walk to her. He knew that navigating the Archives was troublesome at times.

Myles didn't have any friends in Alliria and he hadn't really courted someone before so this would be interesting to him, interacting with a lady.

"Forgive my intrusion but if I were to guess, you are looking for something particular are you not?" He said with a brief smile.

Lia

• Yay
"Nothing specifically." She admitted to the man with a slight frown, not quite sure how she would phrase what she wanted.

The armor and sword would of course give her away and an Allirian Ranger. Though the Order was not prevalent within the city itself, most people who lived there or came to visit would know exactly what she was. Her gaze drifted to the man for a brief second, then back to the books.

"I find myself..." A frown touched her lips. "Lacking in the knowledge of more...complex topics."

She turned to him. "I need to know more about Magic, the Undead,those sorts of things."

Threats that Alliria might face in the future, Threats that she might face in the future. This was important to her, things that she needed to know if she was going to rise through the ranks.

Especially with how the world was turning.

• Yay
Myles studied the female ranger with intrigue and wonder. "Nothing particular eh?"

Still clad in her armor with her weapon by her side, he would wager that she would be researching on a potential threat possibly. To defeat an enemy, one must know their enemy....extensively.

"Complex topics you say? Do go on, those are the topics I enjoy researching!"

Smiling with delight the young scholar motioned for the ranger to follow him to the other side of the Archives, where most of the material was gathering dust and harboring no sunlight.

"This area might suit you then miss.....There are some theories of Necromancy, Beast Men and even Liches. Although I do not practice in the darker magicks I do find these topics very interesting. Liches in particular....If you have any questions about the topics, I would be glad to be of some service to one who sacrifices everything for this great city."

"Other than that, this area houses information on more ancient magicks that are not practiced often but could still pose a threat should they be exercised."

Standing by the ranger's side he forgot his manners and apologized.

"Where are my manners?! I am Myles.....Myles Widogast, I never caught your name miss....?"
Lia

• Yay
Reactions: Kasim Areth
"Lia." There was no formal way to address Rangers. They had no real titles, save for their rank of course and she didn't think that was very fitting here.

Had they been in a more formal situation she might have given it, but right now there was no concern for that. She glanced at some of the books, frowning for just a second and then looking towards the man. He was a mage, obviously, though what sort she couldn't quite tell.

Mages were rare among the Rangers, so rare in fact that she was pretty sure there wasn't a single one currently within the Order.

"No questions." She said with a smile. "Just general learning."

A pause followed, and then she decided to explain herself. "The world has seemingly been getting stranger over the last few worlds, and I've found myself facing more than one dead as of late. I'd like to be better prepared in the future."

• Yay
Hearing her name made him further greet her with a respectful nod. "A fine pleasure to meet you Lia."

Myles then shifted his glance to the tomes that lay above their very heads. Leather-bound books were abundant in these very halls but most of them were so ancient that the leather was fading away, the binding however still persevered.

"General learning eh? Well there is nothing wrong with that, the mind is the most important tool and weapon we have. Without it....we are just husks of flesh. "

Before he turned around to leave her in peace she caught his attention by offering more information to him. This caught him off guard but it reminded him that there were more to people than meets the eye.

"Strange you say? I only go in the woods on occasion to gather alchemical ingredients but I have noticed some stranger things in the woods...at least....strange to me."

Hearing her mention combating the dead made him raise an eyebrow in curiosity. "The dead? Hmm.....well there could be more than one reason why you are facing such foul creatures. If you would like me to, I could help you research and try to determine the source of this darkness. It could be Necromancy, it could be a Lich raising their thralls to battle. It could be a magickal curse. The list goes on my fair Lia "

Looking concerned, Myles started to rummage through the shelves almost seemingly looking for a particular book.

• Yay
She perked an eyebrow at being called 'fair', mostly because she didn't care for such a title in the least. Still, the man was just being nice, no need to beat him down verbally. "It's not a lich."

Lia was certain of that, she'd killed the Lich.

There was something else though out there, she couldn't deny that. A part of her wanted to speak with the Templars here in Alliria, but she knew that relations between them and the Rangers was far from...good. A frown touched her lips, and then she slowly shrugged her shoulders.

"If you could find me a few more...general books." She told the man. "I would be thankful."

A pause, and then she continued. "Things on the Undead. How to defeat them, their history in Alliria and perhaps beyond as well."

It would be a good start.

• Yay
Myles was taken aback when she informed him that it wasn't a lich. Such certainty meant that she either physically investigated the threat or she already killed a lich. The scholar was not sure which was the truth so he took her word on it.

"Not a lich? Well that's some good news at least."

A lich would be bad news for all, but having the undead rise up and be so close to Alliria was unsettling all on its own. Unsure where to start research, Myles did his best to assist the female ranger find whatever information she needed.

"I can find you some general books and we could compare the information...let's see....there should be....." Myles trailed off as he was gliding his finger over multiple books to find particular ones. Dust danced off the spines and flew various directions almost looking like a magical aura that was leaving Myles' body.

"Let's see.....AH!....okay that one should do too." He wheeled back around with a couple of books cradled under his arm. Brushing past Lia he knelt down and looked at other books, picking up a few more.

Rushing to a nearby table, Myles unloaded the books he had acquired and if Lia were looking she would be able to see the titles as such:

• "History of Unconventional Magic" by Moravius Urun, detailing instances of Dark Magic and their properties.
  • "Vile Beings and Where to Find Them" by Agatha Spawchak, a compendium of unorthodox creatures and their origin.
  • "Mortis Vivus" by Shorl Manthar, a guidebook on the properties of the Undead and how to source their magickal properties.
  • "Threat of Man" by Mergok Echel, a detailed life account of the Necromancer; Khalldryn.
  • "An Essential Guide to the Arcane" by Silus Camorrah, an in-depth guide on how to study and harness magic.
Myles picked these books specifically as they should help Lia study the various topics as she wishes. He still offered his help on the matters at hand.

"These books should get you started. However, I would like to add that I will help your research into this....well, whatever you are dealing with. Since it's the Undead, I will let you look at Mortis Vivus as it should help you figure out where the Undead are coming from. If I knew what you were dealing with then I could narrow down the search."

"If you need anything, I'll be taking a look at the Threat of Man as it very well could be a Necromancer at work."

Myles gave her one last nod before he delved deeper into the book, almost seemingly in a trance.

• Yay
Lia looked down at the books for a moment, pausing, and then speaking slowly. "It will take me several weeks to read these."

The Sergeant did not seem ashamed of that fact, it was just the truth.

Though she was literate, her skill in letters was not as such that she was going to speed read through five different books in a day. It was more likely that it would take her a month just to finish half of them. The prospect didn't startle or scare her, she just wanted the man to know it would be some time before they would discuss the topic again.

"Can I take them?" She inquired. "Or would the Archives frown on that?"

She was a Ranger, so that might grant her some lee-way, though she had no idea on the policies regarding that.

Specifically since the attack a few weeks ago.

• Yay
Realizing the paperwork he just handed the Ranger, he scratched his head with a nervous gesture. Sure there could have been more books that could have helped but these basic ones should allow a proper look into what she is dealing with....so he hoped.

"Yeah....that's the thing with research, it does take time but you do acquire knowledge in other things along the way."

Myles could tell that this Ranger would be well literate, she just had that notion about her that made him feel this way. Even if Rangers don't visit the Archives often, he was glad to be of some help. He felt like his was serving his purpose, helping others with knowledge so that they may combat evil.

"You are a Ranger of Alliria are you not? These tomes can provide knowledge to you that can help against foes. I would confidently say you can take them."

Hoping that Myles could be of further use he would prod the question.
"Is there anything I can assist with Lia ? I may not be much of a fighter but I do have magickal prowess and I did help you find a small needle in a very tall haystack."

Knowledge was paying him off...in some capacity.

• Yay
Lia considered for a moment. "Not here."

The Ranger was truthful in that. She had the books that she needed now, there wasn't really much else that could be done now. The Archives were handy, sure, but was the use for them if nothing could come of it. A frown touched her lips for just a few seconds, and then she glanced around.

"Maps." Lia continued on quickly. "I need maps."

She motioned to the shelves. "Preferably ones that show most of the Reaches...perhaps more too."[/color[

The Ranger had no idea how much this man knew, but perhaps he could be of more use when it came to locating certain things scattered around the reaches. It all pertained to the same subject of course, the Undead and their activity within the reaches. Hopefully he'd know.

• Yay
Myles respected her wishes with a curt nod "Very well Ranger."
Letting Lia have imminent domain over the books made him feel helpful. He just hoped that whatever she faced would be dealt with and that the knowledge would benefit her.

"Maps? Of course! My father is part of the Cartographers Guild. I can get the most recent Reference Map!"

Running over to the bookshelves on the far side of the room they were in, Myles was looking at cylindrical shaped leather cases. These cases were made for the sole protection of the parchment that lay dormant in them. A small inscription would be noticed by Myles to denote what was contained within.

Catacomb Layout: Alliria: Balthazar Kresh
Allirian Land Deeds: Thaddeus Damore
Year 369 Reference Map: Marek Widogast

Finding the reference map he was looking for he gingerly snatched it from the bookshelf and returned gracefully to Lia and handed her the leather scroll case.

"This should be it. My father just got done drafting this one. It contains topography and various cavern expanses of the Allirian Reach and should expand westward to the Aberresai Savannah. One could say this map has the Allirian Heartland mapped out. As far as the actual caves of the Reach however, they have not been mapped but the cavern entrances are marked."

Hoping his father's finished work would be of use to someone important he prided the map on its accuracy and reliability. Marek took pride in his work and it would often take months to complete a map of a given region.

"I hope that map helps Ranger Lia. Is there any other information you seek?"

Having said that, Myles stood straight with his hands clasped together, ready to answer anything she may ask.

Last edited:
"Is there a record of..." How could she put this?

Her lips pursed for a moment in consideration.

The Ranger wasn't entirely sure just how to actually play this out. In her head it was clear but, her lips thinned for a second and then she finally went on. "Ruins."

That was a good word for it.

"Old Fortresses, cities, towns." She shrugged and glanced at the man. "Anything that might be haunted."

Her expression drew back for a moment. "I know it sounds silly, but it would be helpful."

• Yay
Remarking on her hesitation, Myles gave her a look of curiosity which could come across as an analytical look.

Ruins?......Hmm oh yes! Contained in the scrolls case should be a ‘footnotes’ sheet that has a record of various ruins, landmarks, old villages that archaeologists have discovered out in the field. The caves may not have any information as most of them have remained uncharted for some time…..at least that’s what my father has told me about his maps.”

Why would she need to know about ruins and the undead? Has some forlorn fool sparked a curse to raise the undead? Could a Necromancer be threatening danger for Alliria?

He did not have the answer to these questions but he did have the answers for Lia . Understanding the nature of her work was to protect the lands and not cause worry amongst the citizens of the city, Myles nodded at her and followed up.

“I am sorry that the caverns were not recorded. Perhaps if you find anything in the caves, such as ruins or whatnot, let me know so I can update my father and he will make changes on his next revision.”

The Ranger had been quite nice to Myles and that would be paid with the full information she would need--if he could provide it. Standing by ready for anything she threw at him he would prompt the question.

“Any record of towns or other structures that have been found out there in the field have been documented to some extent. Whether they are haunted or not….well, unfortunately there is no telling.”

He withdrew further questions as he was not a Ranger so he would respect the semi-secrecy of her work.

“Silly? Not at all. If you are facing threats and they may originate from somewhere, it is definitely worth the ask.”

Crossing his arms he leaned against a bookshelf and awaited any further questions that this young woman may have.

• Yay
She nodded quietly, not quite sure what else to ask for.

The man had been quite helpful with all of this, and she did her best to actually memorize the information that she'd been given. "Can you mark this map for me?"

The Ranger asked quietly.

"I know cross-referencing it all will likely take time." He would have to go through the dozens of records here and compile it all onto one single map. She imagined that would...be a massive pain in the behind. A part of her didn't want to ask, but it would help her immensely. "I can pay you."

Rangers did not make a lot of money, in fact next to nothing, but her father was wealthy and she was pretty sure that if she explained all of this to him he would give her a small stipend.

One she could use to pay this man.

Myles looked at the Ranger quietly with intrigue. She was asking him to mark points of interest on the map, she was for sure in a hurry he assumed.

"Sure, but I will have to get another copy of the map from my father. The Archives don't take too kindly to master copies being marked. When do you need this map completed?"

He knew that she would need it soon but he wanted to see how much time he had to provide as much detail as possible. A feeling of haste filled his mind as he was getting ready to roll the map into its case and head home. Myles didn't expect this day to turn up with a Ranger asking for his assistance plotting a map.

"That's fine, I know the reference sheets are a pain. Besides, I am used to the format anyways; let me be of service to you Lia "

Packing up his belongings, Myles donned a leather satchel; no doubt filled with manuscripts and other works of text.

• Yay
"Oi, Widogast"

Lectrix approached the man from behind and seemed to startle him, but seemed to calm down as he lowered his eyes to meet his. He felt comfortable in the Archives as it was a place he often visited to research his next job. Today was no different. He needed a specific item that he could not find on any of the vast shelves of books.

He had seen Widogast at the Archives before, and it was impossible to not know him by name of one frequented there. And as the son of a member of the Cartographers Guild, Lectrix had to know the man, just in case.

"Do you know of an old town on the outskirts of the Allirian Heartland? I forget the name, but it was abandoned a few decades due to some attack. I need a map there, and a map of the town, right now."

His voice rang with the urgency that the situation required. He needed that map immediately, and he was willing to do whatever to get it.

• Yay
Lia whirled around as someone else stepped into the archive, her lips thinning and her hand almost reaching towards her blade.

It wasn't that she thought the man was a threat...just that he had come from absolutely nowhere and despite herself she was still a bit jumpy. After that the lich had done she supposed it was only natural, though anyone that had seen her would suspect something was prickling at her.

She frowned, and then cleared her throat.

"Thank you for your help, Myles." Lia said, glancing at the new person but deciding not to introduce herself just yet.

The man was clearly looking for a map of some sort, he'd anounced it and what he needed. The urgency in his voice told that something was wrong, or perhaps he was just selfish. Either was possible truth be told.

• Yay
Before Myles could really say anything else to the Ranger, a foreign voice called out to him by name, which was sometimes rare. Turning around he would address the newcomer in a polite fashion.

“Oh hello there…...a town on the outskirts? None comes to mind, but I can take a look at some previous maps. Abandoned a few decades ago eh? Don’t worry there should be a record of it here….let….me….just find it”

Before leaving the company of the Ranger he would express his apologies for being brief with her.

“It is no trouble at all my Ranger friend. Let me get the reference map for this fellow and I will venture home and copy the notes over to the map. Where would you like to meet?”

He would try to get his tasks done as soon as possible but would not let the quality or craftsmanship decay in his haste. Stowing the previous map and reference notes in his satchel he would begin to help the newcomer with their request.

“Say friend…..how did you know my name? Not many pay attention in here.”

Lia | Lectrix

• Yay
Well I do, and I ain't your friend, now hurry and find it. If you can't, what use are you?

Lectrix used his trademark condescending voice in his response to Myles. He was in no mood to banter with the man, and he needed that map, badly. Unless, unless maybe they were lying? Maybe the gold was somewhere else. He wouldn't put it past his shady employers, but either way, that money needed to be in his pocket, urgently.

"The Compound." Most people would know where that was.

The Ranger Compound in Alliria had long since been a mainstay of their organization. It was an old Manor that had been built by some Merchant. When they'd taken it over the place had fallen into disrepair, but since the Ranger's had come it was used as a training ground and headquarters.

"I can pay you there." She said, frowning slightly at the other man. "Plus the Major may ask more information of you."

For a moment Lia looked around. "You seem very knowledgeable."

Which was always useful.

"However I should leave you to your...other tasks." Her lips thinned at the strangers.

MylesWidogast | Lectrix

• Yay
Hearing instructions given to him by the Ranger, Myles nodded and gave her a curt response.
“I’ll be by The Compound soon to give you the updated map and answer any questions you or the others may have.”

The compliment she gave him was pleasing to his ears, knowing that his help was appreciated and that it served some use to his neighbors. However, hearing the blunt and terse responses from this new stranger irritated him and made no attempt to rush to his side.

You catch more flies with honey, as opposed to vinegar…..friend. He thought to himself.

Walking over to another set of bookshelves, Myles studied the various parchment rolls that lined the halls. Most of the maps were made recently and would likely have no coverage of abandoned villas from the past few years. The scholar would need to dig deeper and find a map that was close to the age that this newcomer would need.

Filing through seventy-years of information, Myles handed the stranger a map that was dated thirty-years old.
“This should have the information you need. Anything else?”

Not sounding downright angry, he would almost mimic the condescending tone that was given to him only moments ago.

Myles stood by with his arms crossed awaiting to hear a potential reply from this stranger who he assumed was a sellsword.
Lectrix | Lia

He opened the map up, analyzing it from bottom to top. He could tell it was the right one, it was exactly as the man had described it. A small village with a few houses, surrounded by woodlands, with one huge tree in the town square. He picked up on the small bit of displeasure that the man held. Good he thought. It would make what he had to do a lot easier.

Right then, I just need one more thing from you.

As he finished his sentence, he flicked his wrist to trigger the crossbow on his bracer. He aimed at the foot of the ranger and fired. The bolt flew from his bracer, hitting the middle of her foot dead on. Meanwhile, his other arm reached into his jacket and drew a small dagger. He pointed the tip of the dagger at Myles throat, centimeters away from making a puncture wound.

He turned his head toward the ranger.

Sorry you had o get mixed up in this. The arrow i shot at you had a poison designed to paralyze you from the waste down. Usually it lasts about an hour, but ill give you antidote if you don't do anything stupid. As for you, he said, looking over at the man that faced his dagger. Move or yell at all, and you both die.

• Yay
Lia darted her foot back just half an inch, not quite quick enough to stop the bolt from cutting through her boot and slashing across her wrist but enough to keep itself from burying in her foot entirely.

A grimace crossed her feature and in an instant her sword flickered into her hands.

She could feel a certain numbness in her foot, growing quickly through her legs, but even the most fast acting of poisons needed a few seconds to actually work. "Stop."

The Sergeant told the man.

"You're in the middle of a city." She reminded him. "Surrounded by Rangers, the City Guard, you won't get away."

Lia could feel the numbness slowly creeping up her leg even as she spoke.