Announcement Regarding Open Threads

Raigryn Vayd

Staff
Character Biography
Link
"I don't make Open threads any more because I'm afraid of people jumping in without reading them and ruining them."

I've heard this a few too many times recently. It has become a topic in staff and a few ideas around this are being floated around. More on this in future announcements.

It is a difficult balancing act. We want this to be a friendly and inclusive community. At the same time we understand people want to spend their time writing and not repeatedly explaining good roleplay decorum to people.

For now, I just want to reiterate some staff policies on the matter.

1. If someone clearly hasn't read the thread at all or is obviously being disruptive or just writing abysmal posts that don't tie up with the story you (the thread starter) may immediately message them and politely ask them to leave the thread. Even though it is marked open. Staff will enforce this, but we ask you to be sympathetic if they promise to change their behaviour.​
  2. In the less extreme cases people may have a misunderstanding or they may be taking the thread in an unexpected direction (this is of course half the fun of open threads). In this case we expect you (the thread starter) to make an effort to engage with the writer to see if you can do some planning together.​
I know this seems a subtle distinction, but trust me it is always obvious to staff whether a writer is being disruptive or its just a simple misunderstanding. Staff are always here if you want to talk to us about anything, we will offer advice well before a situation has reached a point where we need to intervene.

I hope this gives people a little more peace of mind when it comes to open threads. If you have any thoughts on the matter or questions for us, please do post them.