Open Chronicles On-Foot

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Amelia

Sprigleaf Fan
Character Biography
Link
The raindrops hit the ground with an insistent pattering sound as each droplet crushed against the muddy puddles below the caravan workers’ feet. The winds that had been otherwise pleasant during the last few days of the trip had slowly started to turn into little more than a nuisance at this point. Though the winds weren’t cold, the dampness of clothes and skin made each sweep all the more frustrating than the last as the men and women of the caravan tried their best to repair the broken wheel that had slowed them all down to a complete stop.

It was hard to believe that for all the money they had spent on this venture, none of them had enough foresight to see that maybe something would happen such as the situation with this wheel. The caravan leader had long since had a mental breakdown and the tents that had been carried in the back of each cart had been raised to provide those that needed it some cover from the rain.

By the sound of it, there was going to be a need for a replacement part, and none of those were at hand. A few of the people around the broken down cart had gathered to hear the second-in-command bark orders for them to head into the nearest town and be back with all due haste.

“I’ll come with.” Amelia said and approached the group. “I don’t mind the walk.”

And if anything she could just catch the next carriage out of there and be on her way. It would be faster for her that way, and with the delivery she had at hand for her mother it was probably best she didn’t delay any further than she already had.

“Sure.” The second-in-command dismissed her and waved the crew off. “Just come back with that wheel as soon as you can.”

“Got it, boss.” One of the men responded, and off they went.

Amelia threw a quick glance around the crowd. Well, they were certainly diverse.

• Yay
Reactions: Arcoff Morikson
Smoke billowed from the carpenters shop, cutting at least some of the chill brought by the rainy day. For Arcoff the dreary weather seemed like the perfect physical representation of how his life had been thus far, stiffling, boring and as monotonous as the pouring rain. However unbeknownst to him his wildest dreams were about to come true. He had been planning his escape for quite some time, it had been long since he had decided the carpenters life was not for him.

The black haired youth stared out the window remembering when it had all began. As far back as he could remember he'd been banging around his hows, eventually upgrading to a drum. He'd joined the bards college as soon as he could becoming an aprentice and enjoying many years of fruitful learning. But as time passed he became aware of how restringent their curriculum was.

Belonging to the outer villages of Vel Anir had some if not many advantages, one of which was a much lesser antagonism towards non humans. This sentiment was not shared by the city centric bard's college, which was soon aparent as he began to learn more of the few infrequent travelers that visited his small vale. He tried to ask his masters for music, writting and poetry of other cultures and races but was met with odd looks at best and complete outrage at works, soon learning to keep his curiosity hidden. However as time passed it continued to gnaw within him till the day had come when he could take it no further and he had confided in his father his plans to leave Vel Anir before he came of age, as it would be much harder once he was conscripted.

'Less than a fortnight to go' he thought of his ever approaching coming of age. A knock at the door stirred him from his day dreaming. He quickly cleaned up his working apron before heading to the door, becoming quite surprised as a group waited for him outside. "Hello there gentlemen and madams, how might I be of service?".

• Yay
Reactions: Amelia
Each footstep felt heavier than the last. The mud caused the ground to shift beneath their feet and made the trip seem all the more longer than it actually was. Pools of water built up along the road, and at times they found themselves unable to continue without wading through knee-high water, and all this because of the ‘shortcut’ that the man at the front had insisted that they would take. By all means this trip was starting to become a lot more trouble than it was worth, but perhaps it could still be salvaged at its end.

By the time they saw the small town on the horizon they had already expended what little energy they could spare. Soaked to the bone and covered in mud they eventually stumbled into town looking as worn as they could get. Amelia stepped under the roof of the carpenter’s shop and got her hood off with a wet thud against her shoulders. The others followed her example and before long the five people from the caravan would all look over at the man approaching them.

Amelia gave him a quick look. Judging by what he was wearing and doing she would assume that he worked here, and by the fact that he asked what he could do for them it would also seem that her amazing skills with deduction had proven her right once more. She let in a deep breath, her shoulder and chest rising and sinking as air came in through the mouth and out through the nose with a particularly long exhale.

“Uh, right, hello.” One of the bigger men in the group stepped up to Arcoff with a hand wrapped firmly around his coin purse. “We are in need of a spare tire for a caravan that broke down outside of town, maybe half a day’s walk from here.”

“Make it a quarter if not for your supposed shortcut.” An annoyed Amelia scoffed at the man and shook her head.

“Are you gonna be pissy all day, miss?” The man asked and turned to give her a most unamused stare.

“When none of you had the foresight to-” Amelia groaned.

“Predict that the wheel would break, yeah, you have given us that monologue at least five times already.” He said and shook his head. “Anyway, sorry mister, we just need a wheel and we will be on our way.”

“Get two, it might hit one of your thick skulls and break on the way.”

“Do you want to get left behind? Because I wouldn’t mind if you were, you know.”

“Oh please, do! Maybe your caravan would go faster without the heavy load.” Amelia tightened her fingers into two balled up fists. “No wait, that’s your-” She took a moment to pause before letting in another deep breath to still her nerves. “Just forget it, I’ll stay. Forget you.”

“Whatever.” The man groaned and turned back to Arcoff again. “Look, we’ll pay you well if you can have it done before the day has passed, or even better if you would happen to have one at hand.”

• Yay
Reactions: Arcoff Morikson
As luck would have it there was indeed a wheel, actually there were a couple, carriages had a bit of a reputation for not lasting long in the long plain pathways. " A moment kind sirs" he said darting within the shoppe in search of his father.

After Arcoff had finished explaining the situation to hia father he waited for what seemed an eternity as his father scratched his beard and furrowed his brows in deep thought "Well boy, it seems the day has come. Another opportunity like this is not likely to appear before the ceremony." he paused for a while seeming to recollect his thought "This will most likely be the last time we see each other for quite some time, we may even never meet again, regardless your mother and I wish you nothing but the best. Youll find a bag behond the workbench with a few gifts for the road. Go lad, forge your own destiny, we'll deal with the soldiers when they come.".

With a last hug and kiss from each parent Arcoff headed downstairs once more. Behind the workbench he indeed found a leather bag, within it; the most beautiful bow he'd ever seen, a few dozen arrows, a simple but sturdy dagger, a new cloak for the road and lastly a small bag of coins, one gold piece for every year he'd been alive, the custom for every Anirians coming of age gift. After securing the contents he proceeded to find a pair of wheels and sling them over Truengo his sturdy steed and went outside to meet the group.

By the time he was done the rain had let off somewhat but a light drizzle still remained. "Good morrow yet again gentlepeople. I offer two sturdy wheels, 10 silver a piece. I'll also provide transportation, I take it you're lot isnt keen on carrying these heavy wheels accross the mud and muck?" He said with a chuckle "Free of charge of course. Do we have a deal?" The offer leaned quite heavily in their favor, but it was a small price to pay for freedom.

• Yay
“Twenty silver, and delivery?” The man perked his brows at the young man’s eagerness to join them. “Uh, sure.”

Amelia put her hood back up and stepped outside the shop again. It went to figure the rain would let up when they had already arrived. She stared up at the blinding clouds and shook her head as the occasional raindrop beat against the skin on her cheeks and nose bridge. The others followed not long after with a wheel in tow as well as a new member for their party. The carpenter’s son, interesting. Amelia stepped up behind the crew and began to follow behind them.

“Thought you were staying.” The big man perked his brows at her. “Change of heart?”

“Mother paid for passage and I am not going to find a carriage out of here any time soon.” It was Vel Anir after all. Her pointed ears probably made her ineligible for it according to the loose word of the road. “I’ll be quiet, if it bothers you so.”

“It does.” The big man said and shook his head.

The walk did indeed take a shorter while when skipping the shortcut. The mud was still an obstacle, but by the time the evening sun began to crack through the horizon in an overcast sky they would find themselves on approach for the broken wagon.

“Excellent, Marcel! Simply perfect!” The short-grown and somewhat fat caravan leader exclaimed in joy at the sight of the approaching party. “And I see you brought a guest!” His eyes diverted over Marcel’s shoulder and the happiness seemingly faded in an instant. “... And her.”

Marcel shook his head in shared frustration.

“Hard to think she comes from the same tree, huh?”

“I am right here, Klaus.” Amelia stared him down. “I have a father too, you know.”

“Clearly.” The leader said and shook his head. “Anyway, thank you lad! We have waited for this all day. It will serve us well, and I see you brought two! I could kiss you if it wasn’t because my wife was watching.”

A bitter woman scoffed and looked away at the mention. It was fair to assume she was his wife.

“Please, could you help us put it back on?”

Arcoff chuckled, a bit of flattery never hurt when it can to people in power " It would be my plasure kind sir" he said, dropping off the horse with practiced ease.

Despite his dream of becoming a bard, his father had never allowed him to slacken in his carpentry and he had lithe muscles to show for it. In a moment one of the wheels was lowered from the horse and, after some of the more burly men had raised the fallen corner, he proceeded to put said wheel in its place, needing only a few hammer strikes before only those who had been there could identify that there had been any sort of damage.

He checked that the wheel was firmly in place one last time before raising and dusting himself off. "Well there, that should do it" he said, admiring a job well done before turning to the caravan leader " that shoukd hold for the rest of your journey, speaking if which where are you lot heading?"

• Yay
He won everyone over right quick. People peeked out of their tents to get a better look at their savior. A few of the women in particular began to perk their brows as they lingered for a better look. A bit young, but inexperience had its charms, right? The caravan leader clapped his hands with a rejuvenated vigor as the wheel came into place on the wagon.

Alliria, my boy!” He said and dunked the young man on the shoulder. “Finest whor- ses in all of Arethil.”

“Right, horses.” Amelia quipped as she passed them by on her way to her tent.

“Don’t listen to her.” He grumbled with a sour face before his attention shifted back to the boy in front of him again. “She is just upset that our trip was delayed by a day because of this wheel incident.”

“An incident that you helped us fix, so that makes you a good apple in my book.” The man patted Arcoff on his upper arm with a proud smile. “We’ll get a bed set up in one of the tents if you decide to stay on for the ride. It’s the least we can do for the help you have provided, son.”

Before the kid could respond he whistled at two nearby workers.

“You two, set this man up with a bed in the tent over there. We move at first light.”

The workers picked up a spare bed roll and made way for Amelia's tent. This could only end well, right?

Arcoff's eyes glinted at the offer, it seemed things were going his way so far, he had expected at least some resistance at his arrival but he certainly was not one to scoff at a warm welcome. Naivette can be a wonderful thing, despite everything happening around him, the looks and raised brows, he merely focused on what lay ahead.

By the time hed settled night had fallen, it had taken them what little sunlight was left of the day to bring and set up the wheels. Already a fire had been set up and people were beginning to sit about. Arcoff tried to stay about but the day had been long, his enthusiasm had kept him up throught the ride and wheel repairs but he could feel the bed calling to him and thusly decided it might be best to head to the tent and organize his thoughts. Tomorrow his new life would begin and though he was hopeful, some fear still gnawed at his heart.

He sat in the tent deep in thought. He reviewed the path that had brought him here, from the bard college to the inevitabilitty of conscription, he wondered what would become of him now that he'd be leaving it all behind.

• Yay
A cot and bedroll was carried into the tent that housed no one other than Amelia and her equipment. She stopped in the middle of her change to give the men a glance before deciding against going any further. She hung her hood on a nearby hook in one of the poles of the tent and let her cloak hang over the chair placed by the entrance. With her soggy hair swept behind her ears she took a seat on her cot and proceeded to grab her towel and dry off the parts of her body that still bothered her. The shirt and the pant legs might have been a slight discomfort, but there were worse experiences.

By the time Arcoff came into the tent she was already nose-deep in her books again. She gave him little more than a glance before she shook her head and went back to read. Song Scales for Beginners: C, D, E, and other letter combinations. She seemed taken by it though. The other books by her end table would seem to imply she was about to read a book on medicine or the anatomy of certain creatures of the world.

With a guarded grasp around the book she seemed to almost hide it from the man. Her feet shifted up onto her cot and she began to turn away to lie down on her bed and escape. This day was just getting worse and worse. No point in complaining about it at this point.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Choki
After some time Arcoff found himself still too anxious to fall asleep and seeing the female still reading he decided now would be as good a time as any to introduce himself. "Well, uh sorry to bother you, just wanted to introduce my self before the days done." Despite his wanting to be a bard he was not the best at introductions "Im Arcoff by the way, apprentice bard and carpinter, at your service" he said with a warm smile as he offered her a hand in tentative greeting.

A long exasperated sigh blew through Amelia’s nose as she cradled the book on her cot. The man was making conversation, great. She closed the book and rolled over to place it on her improvised end table consisting of a chair before she grabbed his hand and pulled herself up. Her back straightened and she drew as much of her professionalism to her as she could muster while her hand remained in his.

Amelia Eastwater.” She gave the man a firm shake. “Apprentice to Morgan Eastwater and Ariawyn Elsatra.”

Part of her hoped he didn’t know that name. Morgan Eastwater was more of a wonder amongst the nobles of Alliria, but Ariawyn’s name — her mother’s name, rather — had a reach that went a bit beyond ‘the world’s capital’. Her nerves steeled themselves as she folded her arms behind her back in a disciplined posture almost reminiscent of something a soldier would do.

“Though I guess around here I am simply known as ‘Missy’ or ‘The one that never shuts up’.” Her head shook in disapproval of the nicknames. “I take it you are coming with us, then?”

• Yay
Reactions: Gilbert Goblinson
lionman sits high in a tree out of site. he watches as the furless folk begin to turn in for the night. his stomach growls for food. he licks his sharp teeth as he smells food being cooked at the camp. he shivers a bit as the recent rainfall has soaked his fur and refuses to become dry.. he climbs down from his perch and slowly approaches the camp in search of food to steal. he removes his broad sword hiding it in a bush and silently creeps further into the camp in search of food.hes not worried about attack these creatures seem fragile so he sneaks but sneaks with confidence. he silently curses himself for stooping so low but when your an unknown species that stands at 7 feet 2 inches its hard to get a decent meal in any town without the towns folk rising up to kill the beast thats entered there town.

he approaches the first tent he sees. sniffing for any signs of the furless folk. he dosnt sense anything but the rain has killed any scents he may have been able to pick up so he has no idea that the tent is occupied. he enters to find two furless creatures one is male the other female and they defiantly see him enter. lionman freezes claws at the ready for a fight he says one word that he assumes the furless folk would understand.

in a deep scratchy voice he says "food

hunched over in the tent he dosnt realize to ask for food nor does he think to clarify hes not trying to eat these folk. they are clearly disturbed by his entrance but he pays no mind and simply says food again before realizing how fatigued he really is 5 days without food can to that to any beast, he stumbles slightly and one more time says food before falling onto a stack of the folks possessions he trys to get up but the darkness of unconsciousness creeps in ever so fast he hopes to not awaken as some furless creatures trophy pelt

Arcoff retained with warm smile throughout their interaction, years working as the shops face had tained him well. "It is a pleasure to meet you Amelia I hope we get a- WHAT IN XOLOTOS' NAME?!" He said recoiling as a beast entered, he fancied himself an open minded guy but in the end he was still a small town boy that had little exposure to the outside.

He stood in a rush, going into a ready stance. His panic was such that he didnt even register the creature had spoken as he merely stood there fist at the ready, he didnt even had a proper weapon, as the creature crumpled into a heap at his feet.

He stared warily at the best fearing it might be some sort of ruse. When it didnt stir he finally looked to Amelia as she was the person with the most travel experience he could turn to at the moment.

• Yay
It took her a few seconds to process what was even happening. One second she was annoyed at having to make contact with some farmboy from the area, and the next she was staring at a gigantic catbeast that looked ready to eat her whole. A loud shriek echoed around the campsite as Amelia grabbed Arcoff and pushed him in front of herself for cover. Her eyes peeked over his shoulder. It seemed like the good choice, he was the bigger of the two. At worst he was a snack to hold the kitty off from eating her before she could make her escape.

But perhaps there was no need for that. The camp seemed to rush in their direction at the ready. Klaus’ hand tore at the flap to the tent with a harsh pull.

“What in the blazes are you screa- WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!” He wasn’t a man of discretion, as Arcoff had most likely already figured out. “How did that get here?!”

“What’s going on, bos— WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!” Marcel came in as loud as his chief.

Steadily a big wave of people came to witness the creature lying on the ground in Amelia’s tent and slowly but steadily she would let go of Arcoff’s shoulder and give the creature a better look.

“It looks like a lion. A big, very muscular lion.” Klaus announced to camp.

“It asked for food.” Amelia spoke through her shivers. “Did it want to eat us? Are we in danger?”

One of the men proceeded to grab the lion’s arms and legs to put it in shackles, hoping it was strong enough before they seated the lion on a chair to slap it awake.

“Who are you?” The man asked from a distance, spear pointed in the cat’s face. “We outnumber you, buddy. Don’t get any funny ideas.”

• Yay
Reactions: lionman
"i mean the furrless folk no harm"

lion man said in a quite raspy voice. he had been traveling alone and hungry for so long he was lucky he didn't pass out in the middle of camp. he would have if he had to carry his broad sword.

"i came here with no malice nor intention of harming the furrless folk. that battle already happened long ago"

lionman slowly relaxes his hands showing the folk that his claws have retracted

"i came here to steal food, but now i am captured so i plead you to help me you will be compensated with my service my former pride(lion pride or group) is no more i am not a hunter i am a protector and my mate is long gone too"

his words came out slow and deep his eyes blinking, nose twitching and consciousness fading. his eye closed once more and he was asleep. you can clearly see he had seen battle in his time. the scar over his permanently closed eye and the hair less scars across his furry chest were clear indications, not to mention the grey streaks of hair running through his dread-locked mane. this was an old tired cat fighting to survive a world that feared him. a world that no longer remembered his dieing race.

Last edited:
  • Yay
"Shut it furball" Marcel said angrily "You try to steal from us and then expect food" he scoffed before turning to the caravan leader. Despite his being their security enforcer the leader had the final say even in these circumstances, "What do you say we do with him?". Klaus paused for a moment stroking his non-existent beard "I apologies, you seem like a nice enough chap, despite your...less than noble methods. But we have just begun our return trip, we merely stopped this long because of a broken wheel." he let out a deep sigh as if he truly wished to help their captive. "We barely have enough food stocks to last us to resupply station and that's without including our newest member. So, i apologize yet again but we cannot help you."

All during this conversation Arcoff stood at the back of the group beside Amelia. He had regained his composure but still felt weary of the beast thing, it was after all a 7 foot hulking behemoth which he had no desire to help given their unfavorable first impression.

• Yay
Reactions: lionman and Amelia
Amelia grabbed the arm of Arcoff and pulled him aside for a moment as the leaders handled their intruder.

“If things go ugly, we might need your horse.” She whispered. “How fast would you say she is?”

• Yay
Reactions: lionman
drifting in and out of consciousness lionman feels his second if not third wind.
kick in jolting him awake and aware. the cuffs seem to be made of a weak iron.

lionman pulls his wrists and legs apart as if the metals of the shackles were made of clay. he stands immediately the groups steps back spears at the ready

"sir if food is scarce feed me water so that i may gain power from it and i will serve you for 5 days that is how long its been since ive had water that is as long as my people can survive without water. i will use no other resources after today"

he keeps his claws away and his demeanor as non threatening as can be for a beast his size.

"have your men collect my gear i hid it outside of camp its a broad sword as wide as a man and as long as one too. im either an asset here or your doom its up to you. truth is i need passage with a group of furrless folk that are on my side and will aid me in entering towns without being crucified on site. if im with you im your pet if im alone im an intruder"

he chuckles to him self in a weird cat sneeze whine

"its ironic that i say this cause i realized im an intruder here too."

lionman seems not to have any concern of the now very small in comparison group his energy has peaked again a natural fight or flight response giving him a boost of Adrenalin.

"i just need to find my men there out there somewhere i will repay you in full with my services"

• Yay
"Fast enough". Arcoff's eyes were square on the beast even as he answered Amelia's question. He had barely finished saying this when the creature tore through his bindings with an ease that terrified Arcoff to his core. In a show of primal instinct he found himself running away before he could help himself. He picked up his bag, thanking Xolotos he hadn't had time to unpack before the creature first appeared.

He ran straight for his horse withought a single moments hesitation. It was only once he arrived that he noticed he'd subconsciously grabbed Amelia's hand and had been dragging her along all this time. A split second decision was made in that moment, "Get on, if we ride hard we may be able to outrun it. I know the local terrain, we can survive."