Nomadic Witch Stumbles Into Arethil

Aloesque

Witch
"Today, a 25 year old agender witch who goes by the simple mononym 'Aloe,' after a common house plant, went in search of a so-called 'role playing forum' where its affiliates do 'play-by-post role playing,' a rules-free variation on the once satanically-accused Dungeons and Dragons. The authorities have issued a statement that there is no legal recourse for concerned residents at this time. Unfortunately, the events surrounding this newcomer will have to reflect a modern trial by fire.

"In other news, temperatures are low in Oregon today compared with the previous week. It may be the first day in some time with a high, under 80.

"Tune in later this week for an update on the whereabouts of this troubling newcomer. This has been Jane Doe with Plausible but Vague News Tonight."

Or something, I dunno. Hi.

Last edited:
I have a character I want to use on here who was created in a different setting. I'm wondering whether I'd have to adapt them to be native to Arethil, or if I have more creative freedom than that here.

• Yay
Reactions: Urchin
I have a character I want to use on here who was created in a different setting. I'm wondering whether I'd have to adapt them to be native to Arethil, or if I have more creative freedom than that here.
Ah, I see! I'll go browse the rules and see what I can find. :)

• Yay
Reactions: Aloesque
Right, so here's what I've got:

The world is named Arethil, so called by scholars long past or perhaps still lingering. There are three known major continents, two explored and one barren to all but those who dare brave it.

So, there are three "known" continents, but that implies that there are likely a few islands and possibly even other continents that have yet to be explored and discovered. I imagine it's possible for Aloesque to have come from an area on the map that is as of yet undiscovered. Maybe so far away that it goes over the edge of the map.

Also:

At ChroniclesRP we love and share in the creation of new fantastic stories and locations. You are free to invent new species, magical arts and locations. However, the primary means of world building is the forum, not the wiki. Articles posted to the Folklore wiki should already have been established in roleplay threads.

So, you are allowed to come up with new locations, so long as it doesn't disturb the pre-established map. For instance, saying there's another continent just north of Epressa would definitely go against the map, but saying there's a small town somewhere that has yet to be recognized on the map would probably be fine.

In theory, other planes of reality might exist, but visiting them or traveling to and from them is currently impossible – there are, however, tales of creatures that might cross. The crossing is extremely rare and dangerous. Anything that crosses over into Arethil would immediately be bound by the Laws of Magic.

As it stands in terms of world building, while other realms are not off the table, we are currently focusing on the the world of Arethil. Extraplanar locations and lore thus tentatively aren't the focus of creation at this time.

Based on this, I'd say that for Aloesque to have travelled to Arethil from another plane of reality would be possible but extremely unlikely. Also, once in Arethil, she wouldn't be able to travel back and forth to her own dimension, and she'd have to abide by the same "Laws of Magic" that every other character abides by.

Honestly though, I'd say just adapting your character to be native to Arethil would probably be easier, as she'd have a pre-established knowledge of the world around her and you wouldn't have to come up with some intricate story explaining how the hell she got there. :p

• Yay
Reactions: Aloesque
Hi there - as Urchin has so nicely explained to you here, we do not allow off-world origins for our forum. Many folks bring in characters created from others stories/settings/forums and simply adapt them to our world here. We're pretty flexible on most things, and we encourage creativity! If you would like a hand getting your character situated into our setting please let us know!

• Yay
Reactions: Urchin
Thank you two. I asked on the Discord as well. I'm not thrilled with this response, but it's fine. I can create a new character and write Gruche elsewhere.

I was formulating a relatively simple story for how he could have come to Arethil. One that would have been unobtrusive and confined to maybe a single role play, if not a single post.

Still, the prospect of a new character is exciting. I'll play around with ideas while I read up on the lore some more.