Private Tales Nightmares Lurk Near

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Hector

A Heart for Iron
Character Biography
Link
1642469320993.png

Night cast its dark veil across the sky, and the stars did shine bright as the two riders set forth upon the road. Edelbert, the senior of the two, wore a pinched look upon his face, and his armor gleamed cool beneath the moon. "I don't know why they had to stick me with you, squire."

Hector laughed nervously, mounted as he was upon his young mare. "I couldn't believe it either, Sir Edelbert," he managed, and looked out at the distant glow of torchlight and candle fire that burned farther along the road. "But that means the task is known, yes? Else, they would have sent a pursuant as your second, and another squire to make us four?"

Edelbert scowled, his eyes ever on the horizon. "It means piss and shit, that is what it means, Hector."

The squire blinked at the expression. "Ex-excuse me sir?"

Edelbert heeled the sides of his palfrey, it sped up and cut ahead of Hector and his mare as Edelbert turned to face him. "Look, get one thing straight, Squire, we work with what the missives tell us, you understand?" The palfrey stutter stepped until it came to a complete stop, and nickered. "Sometimes, those missives aren't so accurate. Yes? And sometimes, there is more than we may think there is!"

Hector stared wide eyed at his superior, confused and unsure, but realization began to dawn on him. "Y-yes," he added.

"Don't take this task lightly, Hector," the Pursuant of Death turned his horse about, and went on up toward the village. "Take no task lightly, especially one that will have us venturing into mine shafts hunting Prowler-fiends."

Dumbfounded, Hector sat atop his mare. He had heard of Pursuant Edelbert's cantankerous nature, but this... this seemed different.

Ahead, as the wind howled and the frost covered rocks glittered with the spray of snow, lay the mining village of Rembuk. Few stirred about its icy streets, most stayed indoors, near what fires they could bring to life in the dead of winter.

1642480084925.png

• Wonder
Reactions: Shizumi Winrell
Shizumi stopped a few hours away from the town, the slim sword hanging from it's loop at her waist glimmered a blue light. She turned toward a small snow fox that had followed her and sat down to scratch it behind it's ear "It sure is cold here, then again it always is around these parts" then let out a soft sigh as she stood up again.

She had been to this town before to drive out some small time bandit group that decided to try and make the town their own base. At the time she got help from the local town guard, now she wondered if they would even remember her.

It was time to continue onward, she motioned to the snow fox to go back home and started to walk again. The snow softly crackled under her boots. After some while she came across a owl "How close am I to the town noble owl?" she asked, the owl answered "Only a small 40 minutes, you should be able to hear the crackling of torches and voices soon enough" then flew on. To any onlooker the owl just hooted at a girl who was way too underdressed for the freezing cold of the area surrounding the spine.

Getting closer she started to hear the crackling of the torches and a voice called out to her "Oh look it's the auburn haired lass who helped us with the bandits a few months ago!". The man stepped up to guide her further, knowing she is as blind as could be.
Shizumi nodded her head at the man, recognizing the voice she took his arm which he offered for guidance.

She smiled as the man guided her to the inn where she would stay for the night.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Hector
As they entered, the village folk's eyes widened, Two men in armor atop a horse were not a common site this far up the Spine, but it was the standard that snapped along Hector's spear, its pole rested on its shoulder and the spear-tip high in the night sky, that gave them ease. The white flower of Anathaeum, a snow colored chrysanthemum whose many peddles spread across a field of blue. It was a mark most welcome.

Edelbert did not look too pleased by their bright eyed stares. "There is no need to gawk," he grumbled beneath his breath.

Hector nodded to those who stopped and looked on, even cracked a smile from beneath the bundles of his fur-lined cloak, and wisps of hot breath. "They are glad for the aid, I am sure, Sir Edelbert,"

The older knight sniffed. "Yes, well, maybe I am just hungry, or maybe it is because I am cold."

"Maybe it is both?" Hector teased.

Edelbert glared at the squire. "Now," he sneered. "Isn't that the smartest thing you've said all journey?"

Hector couldn't help but laugh some as they brought their horses to stop before the inn. "I'll see our horses cared for at the stable," he said, and hopped off his mare, careful with his spear.

The pursuant of death hopped off of his steed, and nodded. "I will acquire our room and board, I am sure we can begin gathering word of our taks come morning."

Hector nodded, and took the reigns to Edelbert's palfrey. "Very well, I shall meet with you soon."

----

Inside the inn, whose sign read Ale Stone, Edelbert paid for their rooms, and gotten them a seat by the fire.

"I ordered you some chicken," he called out to Hector as he came in. The squire's spear rested on his shoulder still, and his shield was still strapped upon his back, and his sword on his hip. "You look rather ghastly, all kitted up, dear Hector," Edelbert smirked, his sharp eyes narrow as he smiled daggerlike. "Go on, leave your arms in your room, and come have a drink when you do."

Hector nodded, and went off to put his things away, leaving Edelbert alone. While the pursuant had rid himself of his armor, he made sure to keep his sword and dagger close.

Many of the locals whispered to one another, and glanced at the knight with the thin mustache, and Edelbert glanced back.

The door came open again, and in walked a young lady, auburn haired and dressed poorly for the cold. Edelbert scrunched his brow, and watched as she was lead by another man. "How peculiar," he thought aloud. He rose from his seat, and strode over to the pair. "Excuse me, master and mistress," he interjected, "is all well? Was the young lady found lost upon the road?" There was a sincere worry in his voice. "I am versed in the healing arts, if any wounds need tending."

• Smug
While the man guided the "auburn haired lass" as they called her to the inn for the night, which in fact was not even necessary, several people turned their heads to call a greeting.
The male guiding her smiled as he heard the greetings "It seems you became quite popular since last time, children are even prettending to be you. Saying they want to learn swordsmanship and become a sellsword." he laughed thinking about it again.

Shizumi smiled and spoke softly "It would not be a good thing if they became like me." she noticed the pace slowed eventually coming to a complete stop. The man noticed her turning to face him and explained "We have reached the inn lass, you will be warm here. No need to worry about payments, everything has been taken care off by the village mayor's request." he opened the door and lead her in.

As they stepped inside Shizumi noticed the sound of someone rising from their seat, which wasn't unusual of course. But the sound seemed a bit more forced and she heard someone walking up to them asking several questions.

Once again facing the guard who had guided her thus far she gestured for him to explain that everything was all well. The man looked confused at first but then addressed the male who had come up to them "No need to worry sir, this lass is always dressed like this. She doesn't seem bothered by the cold and has no wounds on her. At least not that we've seen so far." the guard had let go of Shizumi while conversing with the male.

Quickly moving past both the guard and the male who had spoken to them, a soft cling could be heard from her sword as it tapped a iron strap around a decorative barrel near the entrance.
She sat down at a empty table that was left of the entrance and near the stairs then nodded, smiled and waved to the guard as thanks for guiding her here.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Hector
Edelbert scrunched his brow, and looked over the peculiar young lady as she walked away. "Not affected by the cold?" he muttered beneath his breath, and his mind, so trained by the Order, recalled lectures long past. But he had sense enough to hear the man's words, and take note of all those around them and how they reacted to the yong woman's presence. "Very well, I am glad to hear she is in good health, and without harm." He nodded to the guard, and returned to his seat, and picked at his food with a sour expression on his sharply featured face.

Hector returned from their rooms, his arming sword at his hip, but his armor and kit were left in the room. "Boy, it is a fine feeling to be out of the cold, is it not, Sir Edelbert?" He said as he paced back to their table.

"Aye, that it is Hector," the Pursuant replied.

"What is the matter, Sir Edelbert?" Hector inquired as he sat upon the stool and tucked in before his plate. He did not wait before he happily took his spoon and scooped up some buttery mashed potatoes and stuffed them into his mouth.

"Nothing as of yet," the Pursuant replied, lacing his fingers together and resting his chin behind his clasped hands.

After another spoonful, hector followed his eye to find a young woman with auburn hair sitting alone near the stairs. His eyes returned to Edelbert. "Did that young woman say anything to you? About the task at hand perhaps?"

Edelbert sighed and looked down at the grain of the wood. "No, she said nothing, but others had much to say."

Hector went on eating, but he kept his eyes on his senior.

Edelbert. "Do you recall your studies of the Loch and Death, young squire?"

"Not all," Hector admitted.

Edelbert huffed with a smirk. "It would do you well to pay attention next lecture you attend. Especially if I am the lecturer, do you understand?"

Hector nodded quick nods of understanding.

"Good," Edelbert picked up a spoon and ate a spoonful. when he was finished chewing he went on. "There are many tell-tale signs to spot when things are wyrd, or perhaps, gheistly," he presented a clenched fist, his elbow on the table, and he put up his pinky. "No reflections in the mirror," his ring finger. "The creature does not enter a home until invited in," his middle finger. "The person is only seen at night," he jut his pointer finger out. "They do not feel cold," he let that one hang for a moment, and made sure not to look at the young woman. "These are but a few of the signs that a being is not what they may first appear to be."

• Sip