Open Chronicles New Shores

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Noelani

Vizier of the Moon
Character Biography
Link
The news of the fall of Salitra had travelled across the waves swiftly.

It had not come as a total surprise to the Mchawi people, they had been watching the steady spread of this new Empire for some time now. With trade ports across the West they had been able to gather their information about the Emperor the Sand Elves held in reverence. Until now they had chosen to keep their distance; its people had not disrupted or turned away their trade and that was all that they had presently been interested in. The fall of Salitra had changed that. Salitra and the islands of Narufi'ti had had a long spoken agreement about a great many things; trade, peace, services, loyalty. There had been several regiments amongst the armies of Salitra provided by the Mchawi as a part of that deal and those who had survived had reported back diligently about the Empire forces.

The Chief had decided it was in the best interests of their people to at least attempt discussions of peace with this so called God-Emperor. The Chief, Aouli, had sent his youngest daughter to broker the deal. It was she who had fought on the fields amongst the well trained group of Seawitches. At least she knew from experience their strength and would not underestimate them.

It was for that reason therefore that Noelani found herself at the prow of the ship watching the city of Annuakat grow from a smudge on the horizon into a sprawling city. Lani had heard it described as a jewel of the West and though she was apprehensive about the discussions to be had ahead, she couldn't help but begrudgingly agree. It was not as luscious in its vegetation and primal beauty like her isles, but it had kept something that made it stand out despite the amount of people who no doubt called the city its home. There were other ships coming and going from port and occasionally the horn on her ship would sound a low long noise in greeting to a ship it recognised. As a people of the sea it would hardly be surprising that it knew many of the traders here.

As they got closer Noelani climbed onto the edge of the ship and took a deep breath. The sea around them calmed despite the amount of boats that were churning up the waves and made their docking a lot smoother than the other vessels that were coming in behind them. The crew ran about like ants to moor the ship but Lani paid it no mind. She didn't even wait for them to lower the plank. Instead she stepped off the edge of the boat and her foot hit a slender column of water, then another and another until her feet hit the wooden decking. According to the letter her father had received there was due to be one of the Emperors people meeting her here on the dock.

Who better to greet a foreign dignitary than the newly appointed Vizier of Eyes herself? Medja had done her research as always and had been waiting for the Namaka to arrive. The Mchawi were not a people that she was intensely familiar with, but this woman was skilled enough to be referred to as a "sea witch" by her people and important enough to have been selected as an envoy on their behalf...that meant this meeting would require grace and tact, traits that many of her fellows among the Divan distinctly lacked. She certainly couldn't let Gerra do this himself...he'd likely end up starting war on a new front if that happened.

No, this was a task that was best left to her. When the letter from the Mchawi Chief made its way across her desk she knew that immediately. Perhaps outside of the Emperor's particular definition of her duties, but that was neither here nor there. What mattered is that a former ally of a city the Empire had brought to heel was disgruntled that a viable source of trade and a long time ally had just been cut off from them. While the God-King would likely want to see this island nation conquered, Medja knew that this was a far better opportunity to establish a new alliance. The Mchawi navy far outshone that of the Empire, meaning that this was not a partnership that they could afford to lose.

So it was that Medja stood at the docks, flanked by a pair of attendants, watching as an excited and gorgeous woman skipped across pillars of water which sprang up from the ocean to meet her like sentient stairs. Her sources hadn't lied; she was clearly a practiced water mage. She was uncertain of whether this was intended as a display of skill or if she was simply an impetuous person, but time would surely tell.

"Good day, Lady Noelani of the Mchawi, and welcome to Annuakat," Medja greeted the dignitary, complementing the salutation with a smile and polite bow. "I am Vizier Medja, a humble servant of the Empire. It is a pleasure to finally meet you."

A crescent moon of a smile twisted at her lips as her greeting audience stepped forward. Noelani had done her homework before she had been sent to fight against the Empire on the waters of Salitra and the name Medja had not been accompanied by the title of Vizier as of then. A recent promotion then. Tucking the interesting bit of information away in her mind she returned the bow with one of her own, causing the bangles on her wrists to jangle slightly with the movement.

"The pleasure is all mine, I am sure. Please, just Noelani or Lani is fine. We do not hold with titles such as Lady and Lord amongst my people," despite the language Medja spoke not being her native tongue Lani spoke it flawlessly with a slight accent. As she spoke she took the time to take in the striking woman opposite and pair it to what information she did have on her. The God Emperors Hands, was it? Then her gaze shifted subtly to the two people who flanked her and took in the fashion of their dress, but more importantly their weapons if they had any, to gauge exactly who they were. Guards or servants? Both? Noelani herself only wore the ornamental blade at her waist as part of her ensemble.

"I had heard Annuakat was the jewel of the East and now I am here I am beginning to see why," another smile, this time softer as she eased into the subtle dance they would move through for the next few days of her stay. After a fashion she stepped forward again to fall into step with the woman so they could begin to move away from the docks. "My father once visited these shores many moons ago but it appears very different to how he described it. More... at peace."

Medja gave a small smile to the aqueous woman. Surprisingly formal, this one, but clearly observant. Tactful as she was, Medja would never think to bring any form of armed retinue with her to such a meeting. Rather, the attendants were merely paid servant women bearing baskets full of gifts, a proper Ragashi greeting despite the setting. As soon as the opportunity presented itself, the pair would respectfully present the gifts to their guest, a variety of local delicacies and wines making up the bulk of the baskets' contents.

The sorceress herself didn't even deign to bring her trademark artifacts along with her on this particular gathering; they were hardly necessary, and her aim was not to strike awe into Noelani. The nature of this visit was clear enough. Medja needed to reassure Noelani that the Empire was a worthy ally, that all that it touched flourished.

"Very well, Noelani, then." She replied, courteous as ever. She turned to gaze upon the sapphire walls of the city behind her, glimmering in the desert sun. "It is indeed a beautiful city, though perhaps not as fair as my own Ragash. Both Annuakat and Ragash have enjoyed a newfound era of peace and prosperity under the rule of Emperor Gerra, however. Salitra shall too, in time."

She finished, knowingly. The vizier did her own fair share of examining her diplomatic partner as the two conversed. Young and energetic, seemingly naive but clearly more knowledgeable then she was letting on. The blade at her side looked decorative more than anything, and as a mage in her own right, Medja knew that such a weapon was wholly unnecessary.

"It will take some work to undo the damage that was done by Emir Soleiman..." Medja eyed Noelani carefully.

As the gifts were presented Noelani would smile and then call over her shoulder something in her own tongue. Two young men were quick to stride forward dressed similar to how the daughter of the Chief was; blue trousers that were loose around their legs and their bare chests decorated with intricate black tribal tattoos. They grasped the baskets, bowed themselves, and carried the gifts back to their ship. Of course, Lani had brought her own gifts but she chose to save them for now after she had determined whether or not an alliance or deal was worth pursuing here.

The two began to walk down the docks and towards the city proper. Lani clasped her hands behind her back as Salitra was mentioned and a ghost of a smile traced at her lips. Of course it was what she would say. It was what any victor would say. The Seawitch spared the woman half a glance before returning her eyes to the boats they passed with greater interest. They were fine vessels indeed but they were certainly not made by people who knew the seas.

"A man -- even a God -- may be a hero in one persons story but the villain in another's for the exact same reasons. It merely matters who writes the histories as to which version time will remember," for a moment she sounded older than she was. Lani was no fool to believe her allies people would fair any better under this mans rule even if he was proclaimed saintlier than a mere mortal emperor. Her final comment about Soleiman however did crease a frown into the girls brow. Emir had been a tyrant but he had also been a friend of her families. She had spent her childhood summers running around his palace causing mayhem.

"Salitra is a country I care deeply about and the treatment of its people are the main concern of my father," and of course the trade deals and benefits he had reaped as a friend to Soleiman. "It is why, I find myself come to you deeply concerned. I have had reports that his family are not being treated so well and are in fact glorified prisoners in their own home," she spared her a glance to gauge her reaction as they stopped on the very edge of the docks. "This is very upsetting to my father. Our families were very close and the sin of the father is not the sin of the child," a fruit of some kind had rolled into the waves at the edge of the dock. It rose now, clasped in a watery tendril, and deposited it back into Noelani's hands where she put it back into the crate it had escaped from. The stall owner murmured a thank you and bowed low.

"We would like them released. If you do not trust them to stay in Salitra we will take them in. They will enjoy a better life on the Isles than in a gilded cage."

Ahh, the game of diplomacy. An entertaining dance, to be sure. Noelani seemed quite versed in the dance, despite the secluded nature of her country of origin. A wise choice on her father's part to send her. Medja floated alongside the young emissary as they made their way inward, ever aloof in appearance.
"We would like them released. If you do not trust them to stay in Salitra we will take them in. They will enjoy a better life on the Isles than in a gilded cage."
Straight to the point, then. Medja had a certain level of respect for that...no beating around the bush. The game was fun enough, but sometimes it was better to simply lay one's cards on the table.

"Have you heard the details of the Empire's involvement in Salitra's annexation? The 'Siege of Bread,' I believe they're calling it..." Then again, sometimes running a few circles helped to better drive the point home. "Regardless of how historians may choose to spin the tale, our interdiction was a benevolent act. Where once Salitra's people were starving, now they are fed. Where once her economy stood on the brink of total collapse, now it thrives."

Noelani's use of her magic was liberal as well. Sparing such kindnesses to random Imperial citizens while in the midst of negotiation was not something she herself would stoop to do. Such small actions spoke volumes about the woman's character.

"That said, I feel for your concerns for the royal family. I shall do what I can to see them released from our care, though I should say, the young Nymeasha did manage to give our dear Emperor a nasty scar." The vizier giggled at the thought of a woman no larger than herself plunging a blade into the half-giant certainly a humorous one. The young noble had some spunk; it was truly a shame that they hadn't yet interacted. "Consider it a token of good faith on the Empire's part. Though the royal family are no more than guests, I don't wish to begin the relations between our nations with what feels like a hostage exchange."

"It will definitely be interesting to watch the differences in rule," Noelani said politely. She had heard the stories; some even from the lips of the people who had fled to her isles when the Empire had attacked. The seawitch wasn't entirely sure everyone would sing from the same hymn sheet if questioned on it, but it was the way of things now and the important thing for Noelani was that her people moved on with these new times.

As the topic turned to that of her friend Lani kept her face impassive, but Medja's giggle was enough to allow herself a small smile of satisfaction and... pride. The two girls had played together often when growing up; Lani's gifts for the sea meant she was often denied the pleasures of a normal childhood and Nym was her fathers secret blade. The two fathers had seen it apt that the two girls, being raised both for such similar and serious jobs, would only rub off well on one another. They had, of course, but they had probably helped their fathers into their grey hairs during their adventures.

"Nym has always been... Resilient. And loyal to her father. I would imagine this change of circumstances has come as the most shock to her," there was a trace of warmth when Lani spoke of her friend. She too had heard something had happened between her and Gerra but her spies in the household staff had not been able to give her exact information. "I thank you, on behalf of my father but also on a more personal level, for doing this for us Medja."

Last edited:
"I thank you, on behalf of my father but also on a more personal level, for doing this for us Medja."
Medja smiled once again. Altruism something that was not often rewarded in her days as Ragash's unseen conductor, nor before, but in the political landscape of the Empire, favors rarely went unrepaid. The old adage came into play here far more often than back home: "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Blackmail, extortion, bribery...these were the things that got you into power when you came from below. How different things were once you were actually at the top of the food chain.

"I think the Emperor might've been a little more shocked, to be frank." She laughed again, and spoke cordially. "Regardless, I am happy to assist. There is no need for Solieman's family to remain detained, and if seeing them free promotes peace and cooperation between our peoples, then it is for the better."

Indeed, there were far more efficient ways of bringing other nations in line with Gerra's vision than conquering them. Extending the olive branch could forge a far more powerful bond than crushing the resistance out of those who would stand in the way of progress.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Noelani
The Seawitch inclined her head a little towards her and they began to walk once more. The issue of their cooperation hung between them but it was not right to discuss things straight away; Lani had already been direct in the way in which she had asked for her friends life and it would mean a favour in return later on. She ignored the implications for now and instead turned her attention to the town as they moved from the docks into the market proper. These were still familiar sights; her job often involved discussing trade details with allies around the coast and such discussions were always had on the port amongst the hubbub of activity. She had a feeling, however, that the Empires demands would be a lot more than the fruits and natural resources of her lands and more to do with their superior navy.

Lani stopped at one stall in particular, the owner of whom she recognised. He possessed the same dark skin and inky tattoos as she did and as she picked up one of the soft fruits and turned it in her hands they exchanged a few words in their native tongue. She passed him a coin and took two, passing one to Medja with a coy smile.

"Have you ever had a Kioto? They're very sweet but tangy, they are popular on our island when working outside. It keeps you hydrated and full," she took a bite of her own, the juices bursting against her tongue and offering her a taste of home despite the miles of sea between them.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Medja
Medja took the fruit graciously from her new dignitary acquaintance. She raised a curious eyebrow at it; it wasn't often that an exotic foodstuff made its way to Annuakat or Ragash that Medja had not already been presented with. Many of the vizier's attendants took it upon themselves to offer such things to her.

"Surprisingly enough, I haven't. Collecting and sampling exotic things is something of a passion of mine." A somewhat unintentional double-entendre. She followed suit with Noelani and took a bite, then shivered as the flavors ran across her palate. A delighted grin stretched across her face and she hummed in satisfaction. "...yes, that one will have to be a permanent stock in the Ragashi palace."

• Popcorn
The woman's smile was infectious and Noelani felt her own lips stretching into an answering grin. She said something else to the man who looked delighted; it was not hard to figure out she was letting him know his fruit was being well received by Medja.

"I'm sure we can arrange for delivery to Ragash," it would be more beneficial to Noelani and her people than Medja, but to have the Vizier's backing in doing business there was always a positive. It was the reason why she was here in the first place; to create better links for her people. They started walking again and Lani let silence fall again as they both finished their fruit and enjoy the sun and sights. Once she had finished she licked her fingers clean and then clasped her hands behind her back.

"I assume there are things your Emperor also would like to... benefit from as our friendship develops?" It was more of a statement of fact but the lilt at the end indicated she would like to know what exactly those benefits were. It was also a hidden question as to whether Medja had the authority to act on his behalf in this manner and be able to negotiate on his behalf.

Last edited:
  • Cheer
Open trade was certainly a good thing, promoting a healthy influx of wealth to both Noelani's island nation and the Empire alike. In light of the rebellion burning a number of Prince Mago's crops, well...establishing a steady trade in food wasn't a bad plan, and the natural properties of these kioto fruit meant they'd likely sell very well in the desert cities. It was a bit of a shock that Salitra wasn't already capitalizing on trading the things.
"Most excellent. I'm certain these will be quite popular in my city." She commended her new associate.

The desert sun didn't seem quite as harsh as it normally did as the duo toured Annuakat. This was actually a rather relaxing experience, all things considered. Medja had half expected someone far more stiff to meet her, someone who'd try to strongarm their way in and demand reparations for ruining their trade, or some other such nonsense. She was quite relieved that Noelani seemed the sensible type.

"A wise assumption, my dear. Exact terms will likely need to be discussed upon the Imperial Divan, our high council..." The vizier cast a knowing gaze at Noelani as she spoke. "...a place you may find yourself on, depending on how the relations between our nations progress."

Medja yawned and stretched as she floated along, displaying her current relaxed and casual state. She knew that the princess was likely trying to gauge exactly how much pull the vizier had, but as with poker, one should never reveal one's hand...no, that would spoil all the fun.
"While the exact details of a long-term trade deal between the Empire and the Mchawi will need to be sorted out by our Vizier of Earth, doing so is high priority. That said, I am certain that you already know what our Emperor has truly set his sights on."

• Popcorn
Of course she knew.

"You know, even Soleiman couldn't convince my father to give him use of our navy," there was a touch of amusement in her tone. The Emperor would have to come up with something special in order for that to even be a discussion on the table. Perhaps, Nym's release, but even then it was something Lani wished for more than her father probably did. How they built their ships in of itself was a coveted secret and an age old tradition that made them quicker and more nimble in the water. Of course, it helped that every ship had a Seawitch on board but even that was a guarded secret.

"I look forward to hearing what he has to offer on the matter," Noelani smiled this time despite her voice being serious. She was, keen that is. Curious even. There was something about the Empire and how it had been spreading that had caught their attention and held it. It spoke of change and her people, whilst resistant to it, didn't like to be caught out by it. "I must confess I know little about the way in which you govern yourselves here. So the Viziers are... a council who advice your Emperor?" Of course she knew the basics of how it worked but Lani had found that how it was written on the page or appeared to outsiders was very little like how it worked in practise.

• Sip
"You'll find that I'm far more convincing." She boasted with a wink. The world of diplomacy was far from unfamiliar to Medja. When the time came, she was confident she'd find the proper angle to secure the alliance between the Mchawi and the Empire. After all, Ragash's Unseen Hand always got what she wanted...well, that, or Gerra would lose his patience and simply seize the islands. Hopefully it wouldn't come to such barbarism.

Noelani had chosen something of a fun topic. It wasn't often Medja got to explain this sort of thing, and she rather enjoyed doing so.
"Something like that, yes. While Gerra is our God-Emperor and holds absolute dominion over his kingdom, we viziers are the very highest of his officials. Each of us represents an aspect--Earth, Sun, Moon, Stars, and Waters--and controls a branch of the Empire's government. We answer only to the Emperor himself." A proud smile swept across her face. She had only just recently earned her title, one that she had vied for since Ragash had first been annexed by Gerra. Being second only to the Emperor was precisely where she wanted to be, and she had earned her place through the sweat of her own brow.

"Then there is the Imperial Divan, as I mentioned before," She continued. "We viziers each hold a seat, of course, but so do the representative nobles of each city under the Empire's control. The Divan gathers regularly to discuss matters of great import to the advancement of our nation."

• Sip
"I see..." Noelani nodded and clasped her hands behind her back as she mulled over this information. It was always important to know about the government you were dealing with. Sometimes, whilst a figurehead appeared to hold all of the power, it was really a shrouded figure behind the throne that pulled the strings in certain areas and time would be better spent with them. From how Medja spoke she sensed it might be just that. It did also mean she knew she had been afforded an honourable presence second only to the Emperor, which was also a nice stroke to the ego. It told Noelani that they cared about her people and this alliance going forward.

"I would still like to meet his Eminence, as much as I enjoy your company. My father would not be impressed if I left here without getting a gauge for how he is as a leader. As you have seen with Soleiman and no doubt countless others, the people who do the actual work go a long way in covering up the sins of the leader at times," her deep brown eyes slowly slid to the woman before back to the scenery.

"I would suspect it would be prudent of me to meet with the Vizier of the Waters too - though now you have mentioned there is such a person I am curious as to why it wasn't them that met me considering the desires of your Empire in this alliance...?"

• Cheer
"Of course, I can arrange such a meeting. The Emperor is a busy man, but he will make time for you, I assure you." She was confident of this. The Emperor would quite literally never hear the end of it if he didn't, but he was wise enough to know that such a meeting was imperative to the advancement of relations between the two nations. "Gerra trusts us to manage things for him, but he is truly worthy of his title of God-Emperor...and he is no despot, like many of the Emirs."

Ahhh, at last her new dignitary acquaintance was getting to the meat of things.

"The reason is simple: we have no Vizier of Waters at present. Instead, the task fell to the Vizier of Stars: myself." Medja spoke plainly and bluntly, revealing something of a vulnerable fact. She leaned sidelong towards Noelani as the pair walked. "I did mention that you had a future on the Divan..." She murmured with a wink.

• Wonder
Noelani nodded in thanks to her assurance about organising a meeting to see this Gerra, it would be interesting. Fire and water often didn't mix but perhaps on this occasion it would be a little different. What she said next however slowed her steps to a complete halt. Genuine surprise was written across her features as she turned to regard Medja properly. When earlier she had mentioned Lani having a place upon the Divan she had assumed as an emissary of her people, not in a titled position in charge of things.

"So you want my navy and you want me to command it for you?" her eyebrow raised in amusement. Well it would certainly be a different arrangement to any other she had been given before. Noelani could see now how Medja got her way. Her gaze took on a new bit of respect for the woman; she could actually see herself working with her and that was a rarity. "How much exactly do you know about our navy and the Seawitches? I would assume you have a few questions about us."

• Bless
The sorceress paused her flight, drifting to a stop and lazily spinning back to face Noelani. It seemed that dropping that hook had the intended effect. Medja, for her part, just cocked her head in mild confusion to the Mchawi princess, as if to question why she seemed so shocked.

"That is the idea, yes," She replied, soaking in the view of her exotic acquaintance. "The ideal navy should have the ideal commander, don't you think?"

Medja found herself missing the Fists of Aramekh, a sudden desire to sit in the palm of one forming as she continued her discussion with Noelani. She liked to stay in touch with what was going on outside of the Empire, but had found herself with little time as of late. Her knowledge of the Mchawi people was relatively limited.
"Not as much as I'd like to. I am aware that the Mchawi's ships are unparalleled in design and that the Seawitches are water mages without equal. I would certainly love to know more than mere surface knowledge, though."

• Popcorn
Noelani returned Medja's appraising look with one of her own before a slow smile graced her lips which turned into a low chuckle. She had to give it to the vizier; it was definitely a unique proposition and not one she had heard before. Perhaps she was right and she would get her way, even if a part of her wanted to make that process a little difficult to keep her on her toes.

"That's definitely an interesting proposition," the Princess mused though her eyes never left the woman in front of her. Instead they ran down her body slowly. Thinking. How best to explain how her people worked and what made them a force on the seas? "The best way I find to understand is to see it for yourself. You seem a gifted mage," an understatement, she had heard the reports about Medja's gifts. Lani raised her gaze back to Medja's own and gave her a coy smile now. "How would you feel about the idea of a spar - a friendly one, of course," because such an offer could of course be seen as provocative. Lani spread her hands in front of her in an innocent gesture indicating she intended no harm or foul from such a proposal.

• Love
Sparring? Now there was an intriguing idea. It was rare that Medja got to stretch her proverbial limbs in terms of her magic, her most recent excursion to quell the desert rebellion ending up being more of a casual slaughter than an intensive campaign. Were it not for the fact that she was always levitating she imagined that many would forget that she was a mage at all. After all, even she considered herself to be a diplomat and spymaster first and a mage second.

"I must admit, the opportunity to cut loose excites me. I accept your proposal."

Medja looked pensive for a few moments as she mulled the idea over in her head. Maho had recently done something similar, though he'd chosen to make a public event out of it for...some reason. The idea of having a large crowd observing the duo, potentially distracting them, seemed less than ideal. There were a few training rings around Ragash, some specially constructed for those who were magically gifted. One of those would be best suited for a sparring match between them.

"I'll reserve a private arena for us. I am far more comfortable with more private settings for such events. My says of performing for spectacle are behind me." She informed her seaborne companion.

• Devil
Lani looked a little bemused at her comment; spectacles? Sparring was a warriors art not for entertainment on the Isles. Though it might be interesting to watch how the people here fought with one another and see how best they trained. If she decided to accept Medja's offer of vizier of the water then she would no doubt be getting men she didn't know and hadn't trained herself like she was able to do currently with her own navy. It would do to get a feel for what they knew and what the didn't know. Medja seemed like a good place to start such an assessment.

"That is fine by me, and this needs to be done... a day in advance?" she waited for some form of confirmation and then nodded her head thoughtfully. "Well, aside from meeting you I do have some business to attend to in the city and it was a long journey here from the Isles. I think, if I have your blessing, I will retire for the day and meet you at the agreed spot tomorrow."

Medja was impressively efficient and quick to arrange all of the details of their spar. Lani didn't even need to be shown the way so concise were the detailed directions and she enjoyed the moment to walk the streets of the city on her own as she did so. It got quieter the closer to the private arena she got until there was nobody else around. She had chosen to worn loose fitting trousers that clung to her hips and ankles but billowed about her legs. Her breasts were bound tightly in blue canvas as was custom but the rest of her skin was unprotected and showed off the myriad of tribal tattoos that coated her skin in twists and dives. As she moved it looked like black waves rolled across her skin.

She was the first one there and so began by warming up by moving through a few stretches.

• Sip
"That is fine by me, and this needs to be done... a day in advance?"
"A few hours, actually. This may not be my city, but I still have plenty of connections here in Annuakat." She replied. "But if you'd like to rest then I shall leave you to your devices. I bid you a pleasant day, Noelani."

The arena had been set up quite intricately. A smaller ring, perhaps only 50 meters in diameter, this was undeniably a practice setup for mages. Several stone pillars topped with eerily glowing crystals lined the exterior of the ring, wards designed to prevent stray spells or debris from causing destruction outside the combat area. The floor was simple dirt, though it was well manicured and made completely flat. A few stone barricades etched with magic-resistant runes were scattered symmetrically about, and several urns full of water had been included as a consideration to Noelani's abilities.

The Mchawi princess would find Medja not in the prep areas leading into the arena proper, but waiting for her in the stands above the ring, scanning to ensure that it had been set up properly and to her specifications. For her part, Medja had chosen her more traditional garb, covered mostly by her very distinct, purpose-crafted bandages as well as a slew of gold, emerald embedded jewelry. Her ensemble was not immediately practical in appearance, but that, too, was intentional.

The most noticeable addition to Medja's person from the previous day, however, would be the enormous stone and gold hands that accompanied her. The Fists of Aramekh floated weightlessly astride her in perfect sync with her own movements. While yesterday she wanted to appear as non-hostile as possible, today she would be a fool to have arrived without her most precious artifacts.

• Devil
Lani had gone through one set of stretches before she even glanced up at the stands. Medja had said that there would be no audience so she hadn't had any thought to pay particular attention to the rows of empty seats. What had caught her eye, as she leaned down to touch her toes and put her head between her legs, was the glint of sun against one of the hands, which had then led her gaze to Medja. The woman seemed to be in the middle of her own task so Lani continued quietly with the next more advanced series of stretches. It was almost like a dance of different movements designed to stretch out limbs and get them ready for a series of quick moving and violent motions. Only when she was done did she stop and set her hands on the small of her back.

"Nice hands," the princess nodded towards the floating fists. She had heard the stories but it was another thing to see them in person. They were most definitely impressive and Lani was excited to see if they would feature heavily in their dual. Her eyes then glanced round the arena properly for the first time and she couldn't help but laugh a little at one of the large urns full of water. She wandered over to one to splash a little of it against her face. "A sweet gesture," she commented, indicating the water vessels.

• Sip
Medja waved to Noelani when she noticed the woman had made her entrance. The sorceress bid one of the Fists to open its palm and she stood atop it, then willed it to float down into the ring. Thereafter, she stepped off the artifact and resumed levitating on her own, a few inches above the arena floor.
"My thanks."

The Ragashi woman's bandages unfurled from her left hand and she dipped her fingers into one of the urns, cool, clean water coursing over the exposed skin.
"I was uncertain of whether you could produce water of your own or pull it from our incredibly dry air, so I had them placed in." Medja replied. It would hardly be fair or interesting if Noelani had been put at a huge disadvantage from the get-go. She regarded the near amazonian princess for a moment, taking time to appreciate the woman's change of garb. She seemed to be as much of a warrior as she was a mage, something that would give her a distinct advantage over Medja's own reliance on magical technique over physical prowess.

"Would you like to discuss rules?" She asked, an innocent question. Maho and the Minotaur he had combated had apparently needed to make very clear that they weren't going to kill each other prior to hosting their match. It would be better to lay out the ground work first then start sparring and end up angry at or injured by the opposing mage due to a miscommunication.

• Popcorn
Noelani had suggested the sparring session so that she could demonstrate to Medja what exactly a Seawitch was capable off. Of course, they were better suited to battles on the sea and her magic was far stronger when the very thing beneath your feet was subject to her will, but that didn't mean that she was useless in a desert. She offered the other woman a warm smile and then tapped at the series of gems set into the necklace that lay about her neck and the same that adorned her bracelets. At a first glance they would just look like ordinary sapphires but if Medja leaned a little closer within their heart a sea rolled.

"These are called Kumuwai. They can only be found on our island and when a person becomes a Seawitch they are gifted with a set of these. In my case, these were my grandmothers," a fond smile creased her cheeks as she looked down at them thoughtfully. "They hold within them water from our holy wells so that we are able to call upon water no matter where we are. Of course - it is easier to use water that is near us or out of the air."

When Medja asked about rules however the princess raised an eyebrow and a bemused expression crossed her face.

"Do sparring sessions often get to the point you need rules here?" her eyes briefly flittered around the arena. It didn't look the place for to the death matches but entertainment hadn't been something she had thought to get information about really. Perhaps it was that kind of place. "Try not to bury me in a rock slide and I'll try not to drown you?" she offered with a small laugh. "Back home we do not use kill shots and if someone needs a break they signal like this," she made a T out of both of her hands. "And they say yield if they want to leave the match."

• Sip