Private Tales Music in the Shadows

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Uro'mel'lenak

Oni Crime Lord of Alliria
Character Biography
Link
Uro'mel'lenak stood outside the building and looked up. The sign, looking like it needed a new paint job, advertised clothing. The windows, however, were dark. It was closed. The eyes of the old man whom the Oni looked like looked up and down the street. No one was really looking this way, so it gave him the opportunity to look around the building a few times to make sure that his information was right; at that moment, no one was home, though the daughter may return at any minute. He wanted to be ready for her when she did.

The Oni found his way to a back door and felt the handle, it was locked. He reached into a pouch at the side of his belt and quickly picked the lock. He wasn't a skilled lockpick, but he made sure that his previous skill with it didn't fade. He may be in charge of his organization at the moment, but that didn't mean he could let himself get lazy. His old boss did that, and that's how he ended up dead. That and cheating an Oni, something the man didn't forget about for the rest of his short life.

The lock picked open, he pushed the door in quickly, making sure that no one else saw him enter. As he stepped into the shadows, his small, hunched and frail form molded up into the straight, tall, and handsome elvish man he was most fond of portraying. The now orange eyes of the oni scanned the room he was in. It was the back room of the shop, and it was clear money was tight. His information once more confirmed itself; they were not doing well since the mother had taken ill.

Less than a kind being, Uro let a slight and slightly sadistic smile cross his face in the darkness. The misfortune of others brought with it a beautiful kind of leverage, especially when it already existed and he didn't need to create any sort of need for people to help him.

He had been seeking the help of others, not that he was weak himself, but by having skilled people working under or with him, as the situation called for it, he would be able to keep any unwanted attention off himself and onto those others. He was not aiming to becoming the sole ruler of the underworld of Alliria, at least not for the next few centuries. He knew that being at the top put too many targets on his back, something that an Oni would not like to have with monster hunters lurking about.

This is what had brought him here. His 'mice', as he called his spies, had heard rumor of a woman of notable talent whose mother lived here. The older woman was sick and in need of medicine, and her daughter had been out of luck recently with her prospects. Perhaps if he promised her power, she would be eager to join his group, seeing how she would need the money to help her parent.

As he walked through the home, his hand traced lines in the dust that had settled on untouched shelves. He was leaving a trail. If she didn't pick it up, that was fine, he would make sure to leave one she could see.

He went up the stairs and walked down the small hallway before finding what he was looking for. He could smell the scent of disease on the other side of the door. Something brought a unintentional smile to his face. It reminded him a bit of home. As he pushed through the door, his shape changed once more. The clothing became that of a plague doctor. At first, the older woman in there started and was clearly surprised. He told her in the most caring voice he could muster that her daughter had sent him.

Convincing her for a few minutes that he was there to help seemed to calm her down. He produced a vial from his pouch, and asked her to drink it. After she did, he took the vial, and set it on the nightstand next to the bed, making sure anyone looking in the room would spot it right away.He then watched as the potion did its work, and she fell asleep. She wouldn't wake up for hours. He turned back into the elvish man, picked up a chair in the room, and out of sight of the doorway, sat down in it, and started to wait.

Was this blackmail? No. He didn't feel like he needed that with this one. Besides, he'd rather have someone working for him who wanted to work for him rather than someone who would betray him at the first possible chance. He hadn't lived a long life for an Oni, but he wasn't stupid. He could help this woman if it meant he got another skilled individual out of the deal.

He had sent word through an orphan to this woman...this Lorraina. The young girl seemed happy to carry the message, and he knew he could trust her to deliver it. The message read "I recently spoke with your mother, I think she would love to see you -A Possible Ally" Hopefully she would get the idea.

Lorraina Night did not visit her childhood home often. These days she found herself quite busy. Still she couldn’t help the fond feeling that rose up in her when she looked up at the beautiful stone towers and otherwise impressive architecture of Alliria. Elbion was great, and she loved the sea, but it wasn’t home. Neither was Fal’Addas. Not really.

Rainie, as Lorraina was called, had gone with her father to the market of the Outer City . She spared the massive stone wall that denoted the edge of the Outer City a disdainful glance. The Arek Slums on the other side were practically left out in the cold, like the merchant council didn’t want Alliria to be associated with them.

She’d kick that wall down if she could. Her childhood home was there. She had grown up in the slums, running up and down docks and daring children to jump in the bog. That didn’t make her any less of an Allirian citizen, or any less deserving.

That all being said, she was still relieved that the family had been able to move into the Outer City and open a shop when Rainie and her brother were in their teens. Her parents lived in the cozy flat above it. It was much better now that her mother and father were among the working class, which were seen as more deserving of assistance than those in the slums. As fair as that was.

The bard had been staring blankly at some flowers at a stand for a long while, when a young man suddenly popped into view.

“Would you like one, miss?”

“Oh,” she blinked. She put on a big smile and thanked the boy, taking the purple lily he offered.

“It matches your eyes,” said the boy reverently.

She laughed politely and thanked him again, edging away into the crowd. Thankfully, Rainie was saved from further awkward small talk when there was a tug on her skirt. She looked down to see a freckled little girl with a gap-toothed smile on her face. Rainie recognized her after a moment as an orphan she had given food and money to on several occasions. She lived in the Arek Slums, too.

“Pippa?”

“Miss Rainie!” Pippa exclaimed excitedly. “A man gave me a message for you!” The child held out a bit of folded parchment.

Rainie crouched down so she was eye level with the girl. “Oh? Let’s see then.” She wondered if it was another anonymous love letter. Unconcerned, she unfolded the paper and skimmed the message. And then read it again, more slowly. Her face didn’t change, but her heart rate had increased.

After a long moment, Rainie shook herself and stood up, shaking her long red hair out of her face. “Thank you, Pip. Here, take this, and these. Go buy yourself some sweets, yeah?” With a smile, she handed two silver pieces and the lily to the orphan and sent her off, skipping through the crowd in the cobbled streets.

“Papa,” Rainie called to her father, who was in deep discussion with the shoemaker. “Papa, I’m going to head home to check on mum. I’ll be back, alright?”

“Yes, alright love!” Her father called back, then he resumed his conversation.

Walking quickly, Rainie weaved through the foot traffic and made it back to the closed down shop in record time. She couldn’t get the door open fast enough, and practically catapulted inside. The front of the shop was dark, as she and her father had left it. Her heart in her throat, she rushed into the back and scanned around, finding no one.

But wait, something was wrong. She checked the back door, finding it unlocked. Someone must have picked it open; she had been sure she herself had locked it. Upon discovering this, her eyes fell on the empty, dusty shelves that once held sequinned shoes. Finger trails were scraped through the grey dust, exposing the dark wood beneath.

Several emotions swooped through Rainie at once, as she realized exactly what had happened while she and her father had stepped out. She raced up the stairs, knowing full well she had forgone her enchanted shoes and allowed her mother to dress her in fashionable heeled shoes that day. In her panic, it didn’t matter if anyone heard her.

A possible ally.

Rainie stopped in the threshold to her mother’s sick room, wide eyes taking in her mother lying peacefully amongst her pile of pillows. A glass vial sat upon her nightstand. Rainie stood motionless for a heart-stopping moment, waiting. Waiting. Her mother’s chest rose. She was sleeping. Rainie could have fainted from relief. Instead, she hiked up her pretty skirt and snatched her dagger out of her thigh sheath, and then stepped into the room.

A possible ally?

Rainie strode purposefully into the room, knife clutched at her side. Her eyes fell upon the intruder at once. A beautiful elven man sat demurely in a spare chair in the corner. He was lovely, with blond hair nearly to his knees. He was dressed in splendid black robes, and his piercing, fiery eyes stared right back at her.

Beauty equating goodness is a ridiculous delusion. Rainie herself was enough of an example.

The thief took several measured breaths, and drew herself up to her full height. In a level, melodic voice she wondered, “And what do you want?”

Uro'mel'lenak

Uro heard the door to the shop open down below. He heard the quick footsteps of a person who was in a rush. He stretched his hearing as much as he could to make sure the person was alone. Not picking up any other footfalls, he traced where the person was in the house, and followed her as she made the little discoveries that he had left for her.

A curled grin came upon his face. He was pleased with himself, and he was pleased that the woman was as careful as she was. It was always more exciting when a quarry (so to speak) is clever.

The footfalls on the staircase caused his heart to start beating with anticipation. He now could hear the footfalls of a women's shoes. It was her. Would she burst into the room? Would the fear for her mother cause her to blindly rush to her side? Or, he hoped, would she be smarter? Would she be more careful and measured with her approach?

He was soon answered. The footfalls ceased outside the door. She was careful, and that was a quality he was looking for. The outline of the woman's shadow was sprawled across the opening in the doorway, but it was still. She was thinking. She reached under her skirt for something, he couldn't see what. Then she advanced into the room.

His hard smile softened into a friendlier one as she entered, her eyes scanning and quickly falling on the elvish man in the corner. Uro didn't move right away. He didn't want to startle her. He let her speak first, as he imagined many questions were flooding into her head.

She asked what he wanted. A million answers poured into his brain, some which would be quite disturbing for any non-Oni who heard them. He measured himself though and took his time answering, letting a few tense moments creep by. Letting her mind race a few more moments.

Finally, he spoke, his voice, his elvish form's voice, was calm and nonthreatening, almost friendly. "Many things...but what I want in this moment is to speak with you." He folded his hands together on his lap.

His eyes, trained over the years to spot threats before they happened darted to the blade. He made sure it wasn't a fearful motion, he was not afraid of the small dagger, but he merely acknowledged it. "You won't need that here, I promise you." He waved to motion at the dagger before returning his hands to their previous position.

He continued, not giving her a chance to argue if she wanted to, though his attention was away from the dagger. She would do as she wished with it and he wouldn't make her change her mind, even if he could. "I don't wish you ill will, quite the opposite in fact. I want to make a deal with you that would be...mutually beneficial I think. It may even help your mother get better." He was not there to threaten her or her mother. But he wanted to keep the older woman in the mind of the one standing before him. It would make her more amenable to his proposition he had a feeling.

Rainie

The thief listened carefully to the elf. Her gut was telling her this man was more powerful than he seemed. She wasn’t sure why; she never was. She just had a feeling. And she knew that she ought to trust her feelings. They’d never once led her astray.

Slowly, deliberately, she placed her dagger on the dresser. With measured, tapping steps, she went to her mother’s bedside. The elf was kept carefully in her peripheral vision, although her posture was conscientiously careless. She cradled her mother’s face in her hands, two fingers on her mother’s pulsepoint. She felt the steady beat beneath her callused fingers. It was not too slow, nor too fast. Her mother was simply resting, albeit deliberately. Rainie met the elf’s eyes once again, and held his gaze.

“Then speak, my dear.” She commanded in a faux-polite tone. “But I’ll have you know I’ve sought out countless alchemists and healers. I’ve traveled across Arethil and back. None had been able to cure my mother of her illness.”

She traversed around the bed and perched herself on the very corner, closest to the elf. Meeting the stranger’s gaze fiercely, she crossed her legs, then her arms. And waited.

Uro'mel'lenak

"My name is Uro'mel'lenak. You may call me Uro if you like." He started quickly. She was ready to listen and he had kept her waiting long enough. "...and I am a criminal."

He said it without much care for what she thought of that. The information he had gotten on this woman was little, but enough to know that she had dealt on less lawful sides of the law. He would not have been so cavalier with his profession otherwise.

"Specifically I deal with information. I am a trader of it, and I acquire it however I can. I also run a protection ring in the Outer City. The first helps the second and vice versa." He said waving his hands, his voice speeding up towards the end as he was realizing that he may be going on a bit too much with talking about himself.

"Recently, however, an opportunity seems to have presented itself and I would like to expand my area of operation. Both in distance and in diversity of goods." He leaned back in the chair, though being careful with his weight. He still weighed in this form as much as his normal form, so this chair was straining as it was.

"That's why I've sought you out in your parent's lovely home and hoped that you would be interested in joining my organization." He held his hands open in front of him in an almost inviting way. "I've heard a bit about you from the "mice" I have running through the streets and think that you would be quite fitting in what I have planned, specifically with the information gathering side of things. Since my operations will be larger, I need to have people who I know produce results overseeing certain aspects of what I am trying to create"

He wasn't playing coy. He didn't like to dance around points when he was sitting down with someone. He was a man of action when it came to deal making, though he didn't make the deals rashly.

"Of course, for your mother, with the payments you'd be getting, which we can hash out further before you agree or disagree, you can continue your search for a cure for her illness. In the meantime I have a doctor in my employ who would be able to keep her as strong as he can while you continue your search."

His eyes met hers then and he waited for a response. He doubted she would give an answer right away, but he was curious how she would react to what he had said. As he looked at her, he noticed how attractive she was, as much as she could be to him. He may have been a very different creature, but he still saw beauty in the world where it existed. He was sure that helped her in her usual discussions with men, something he would be very glad to have on his side.

Rainie

"...and I am a criminal."

Rainie, thief and spy, dealer in secrets and lies, smiled slightly. She listened closely to the rest of his story, and wondered exactly why she didn't feel doubtful. His words were no doubt unbelievable, and yet somehow she knew they rang true. It helped that he got straight to the point, his voice retaining that calm tone he'd greeted her with. When he'd finished, he waited politely.

She couldn't help but wonder exactly what rumors were going around Alliria about her capabilities. Yes, she had robbed the existing Thieves Guild of Alliria so thoroughly they could hardly operate these days. The remaining members were hunting her to this day. But the last dealing with royal circles, dealing with lies and secrets, she'd had had ended in her running for her life.

She considered the lovely man before her. Did he really have a doctor more skilled than the ones she'd found? Was it an empty promise? She thought not. But why? ...She wasn't drunk enough for this. And it was too early in the day to start drinking. Shame.

"Show me the gold, and I'll consider it." As if that was all that meant to her. She was curious. She wished to know more. She stood from the sick bed, and gestured to the door with a bow of her head. "I must return to the market. Meet me in the alley by the inn at midnight. The closest one to this house. I'll find you."

Uro'mel'lenak

The smile on his face disappeared for a split second, but then came back. "Of course." He stood up tall and bowed slightly to her "Till next we meet. And as for your mother, she'll wake up and feel rested in a couple of hours." With that, he walked from the room smoothly.

Inside he was conflicted. The more...primal and unreasonable part of him was raging. She was making him meet her before they had an arrangement? If she knew better who he was he doubted that she would've suggested that.

His collected side was impressed. She was confident, knew how to set the battlefield, and did not engage on the unfavorable grounds that he had brought her to. This Lorraina was quite a woman. Now he wanted her on his side even more than before. He had a feeling he would need to play this game a bit longer though. She was cautious, and he was someone to be cautious of.

As he walked out of the home into the daylight, he looked around. He chose a path down the street and walked down it, making his way between people. He was going to scout out the alley before that evening. He just wanted to make sure he wasn't the one to fall into a trap.

---------------------------------------------------------

Uro'mel'lenak strode into the place a half an hour before the agreed upon time. At his waist was a bag of clinking metal. He found a large container of something and sat smoothly on it. He sat still in the darkness. His eyes not hampered by the lack of light. As he stared back and forth across the alley, he was reasonably certain he was going to be ok, even with a gang of violent looking gentlemen strolling towards him, eyeing the bag at his waist.

About five minutes, and a few broken limbs later, the group scattered and ran off, once more leaving the alley quiet and peaceful, giving the Oni some time to think. He pulled out a long, thin pipe, put in some smooth leaves in it, and lit it. He needed something to distract him from the woman. She had impressed him earlier that day and he was actually interested in how she would approach him.

He had nothing to lose, but an ally to gain, which was just the way he liked things.

Rainie

After dark, when the candles were all blown out, Rainie ensured every window was locked. Even upstairs. And then she checked the downstairs windows, the front door, and locked the back behind her. She ought to get her parents a guard dog, she thought idly.

Her mother had indeed woken up well rested at about dinner time. She had coughed and hacked through supper, but that was quite usual. Rainie and her father had casually ignored it, and continued their idle conversation as normal. They carefully avoided the topic of her male child. Instead, they described the market, the merchants, the gossip, and her mother thrived off it. Rainie knew her mother missed her social circles more than anything else. Like Rainie, her mother was sociable and extroverted. They both thrived off human contact.

The moon was shining brightly overhead, dimming the twinkle of distant stars. Having shed her fashionable clothes, Rainie ghosted through the streets in utter silence. Her shoes were enchanted to make her steps completely muffled. She'd happily exchanged her pretty skirt for a plainer one, split high up the sides to allow for movement, and tough leggings. She was content to let her mother dress her up like a doll during the day, and enjoyed fashion trends, but times like these called for more practical clothing.

Skipping through the shadows, she wondered lackadaisically if she was making the right decision. She could just as easily flee town and ignore the strange Uro'mel'lenak and his invitation. It would likely be wiser to do so. A more rational woman would simply leave.

And yet, here she was, trotting down the dark cobbled streets to meet a complete stranger who had more or less blackmailed her using her mother for help. That being said, Rainie was rather involved with a Necromancer and her plot to take over a portion of land solely for the undead. Let it never be said that Rainie made the most rational of decisions.

She passed a group of men on the street, several nursing injured limbs and groaning in pain. Thankfully, they didn't seem too keen to start any confrontation, even with a slight redheaded girl in a black cloak. She decided to count them lucky, this time, and smirked at their suffering a bit. She'd learnt in her travels that if individuals in a group of men appeared injured, it was well deserved. Instead, she smiled at them from the shadows, and slipped into the inn unseen.

She was early, after all. The inn had a bar. What was the harm in having a quick drink?

Well, the harm manifested itself in a far-too-pushy patron, who was clearly from out of town. And not from Elbion. Or Fal'Addas. Rainie was a bit infamous, at this point. At least in taverns. This poor, hapless man had followed Rainie out of the bar, and pushed her up against the wall of the inn so hard she hit the back of her head quite hard. Insulted, the thief kneed and headbutted the man to the ground, cursing up a storm in several languages. When the intoxicated man hit the ground and didn't get up, she knelt down worriedly and felt for a pulse. Ugh, he's fine.

Sighing vexedly, she rounded the corner and was surprised to spot the pale elven man already waiting for her. Resisting the urge to rub her sore forehead, she held her head high and approached the elf with as much dignity as she could muster. She offered a charming smile, admittedly taken a bit with his attractive features. She had a weakness, alright?

"Uro, was it? Nice to see you." She stopped her approach a fair distance away from him. On her shoulder was the comforting weight of her bow and quiver. She spent a split second watching the fair elf, then on a whim said, "Care to join me inside? We can talk business after a drink." Never mind that she'd already had one. No one need know.

The oni didn't hear her approach. He had started to pay attention to the stars above. He was not a sentimental creature, but even he was amazed by the cosmos occasionally when he could catch glimpses of it. He rarely had a chance to sit and look up though so this was a rare opportunity that he was finding himself enjoying, despite the business he wanted concluded.

He would have been lying if he said she didn't startle him a bit when she spoke out loud. How the hells did I not hear her? I must be slipping, I need to be watchful of this one. He thought. Luckily he hadn't shown his surprise more than a quick movement of his head in her direction.

He noticed what she was wearing was very different from what she had on earlier. Much more practical... he mused to himself. He also noticed that bow on her back. Sharpened sticks hardly worried him, but it did not surprise him that she had come prepared. Even a slight elven man as he appeared could be dangerous.

Uro bowed slightly to her as he stood from his box and greeted her "Pleasant evening miss." He knew her name, but according to how other creature's customs, it was rude to know that before being introduced, and she hadn't introduced herself. "And a pleasure to see you again, looking well armed I see." He said, motioning to her bow.

He laughed a bit at her offer, but seemed pleasantly surprised by it "I could drink. I am a bit light when it comes to drinking though so I trust you'll take it easy on me when we start to speak on terms." he said with a wink. This was one of the first blatant lies he had told her. He could probably down a barrel of most of the beers of this place and still be able to walk straight. Appearances needed to be kept up though.

The handsome elf man walked towards her smoothly, showing no sign of aggression. He offered his elbow to her, though if she took it or not, he would follow her lead into the bar.

Rainie

Rainie glanced down at the proffered arm and tucked her hand in crook of his elbow happily. It'd been so long since she'd been treated like a proper lady; she'd honestly missed it. With a meaningful smirk, she lead the elven man out of the alley and into the street.

"Now, why do I doubt that?" She wondered good-naturedly, referring to his jeer about his light-weightedness when it came to drink. She laughed and casually lead him around the unconscious body of the unfortunate patron from before and into the inn. She preferred this casualness to the dire negotiations that came with contracts. She liked to get to know her employers on a personal level; it helped later as leverage should things go wrong.

Oftentimes, her employers held her quite close while she held them at arms-length, unbeknownst to them. Let them think they knew her better than most, whilst keeping them on a carefully measured level. However, she was at a bit of a disadvantage with this one. Somehow, he knew of her family, her skills, and possibly her entire history. So she was making a bit of an extra effort with this one. And wondering exactly how much danger her family was in. Her lavender eyes would flick to him often, reading, considering, and measuring.

"'Ello, miss," said the bartender familiarly once they'd reached him. "'Ere for another round?"

Rainie grimaced at him and tried to signal for the man to shut up, but casually asked for, "A malt whiskey, and whatever my escort wants." She turned and looked up, up, up, at her elven 'escort' with a charming smile.

Uro'mel'lenak

As they walked through the alley, they passed by an unconscious man. Not one of mine... he noted, surprised and now aware that someone else may have been knocking people out nearby. This part of town was a bit dangerous, for others of course nothing he had to worry about, so he wasn't surprised. Despite the lack of danger to himself, he would still keep his eyes open.

They walked into the tavern and were greeted by a smell that he found somewhat repugnant: pure humanoid stench. He could stand other creatures when they were walking around in their day to day lives, but he found taverns to be somewhat unbearable. To him it was like walking into a pig-pen, specifically the smells. The creatures smelled alright on their own, but add sweat, and other wastes to it its hard to stomach, especially with his particular senses.

He was able to keep his disgust to himself though. He had spent enough time around low-lives that he needed to be able to stand the smell. Taverns just seemed to have a more concentrated version of the smell, which is what bugged him.

Uro smiled slightly though and went with it. He was here to do business, so he could handle it for awhile.

They walked up to the bar, and the barkeep revealed a small secret about the woman, which made him chuckle. She had slipped a little, but in an amusing way, so he didn't hold it against her.

"I'll have a malt whiskey as well" he said calmly pulling out two gold coins from the bag of clinking metal at his hip. "And these should cover any further fees for the rest of the evening as well." He winked at her and gave a slight smile.

He pointed to a table in the corner that was open and sat down in the booth. He sat calmly and tall, looking at the woman at the table with him, wherever she ended up. "So, what questions do you have for me? I can't say I'll answer them all, but ask all the same to see where we get. "

Rainie

Rainie scowled as two coins hit the bar before she could reach for her coin purse. She quickly took a breath and diffused it into a neutral expression before their eyes met again. Though, she couldn't help but be charmed a bit by his smile and cheeky wink.

"Well," she began drolly. "You know when, Tom." By which she meant, he would know when she'd need a fresh drink. Which was... well, soon.

She allowed herself to be lead into the corner, where an open table sat in a secluded booth. Clutching her drink, she slid into the seat facing the door, allowing her to view the entirety of the room. She sat down and took a swift gulp of her drink. Not a flicker of discomfort registered, on her face or otherwise.

Her blond 'escort' sat down and straightened up quite tall, and prompted her to ask her questions.

Instead, Rainie considered the amberish liquid in her cup. Secretly, she liked the way he'd phrased the question. She would have prompted him the same way, if he didn't already know so much about her. She tried not to be bitter about how unbalanced the scales were.

"Well," she drawled, still thinking to herself. "I ought not ask you where you heard of me. They'd end up dead within a week whether I wanted them to or not," she muttered, thinking of her dear friend in Fal'Addas. "Instead, I should ask you about your 'organization.' And, well, what you do. Do you mean for me to be another one of your 'mice?'"

She let the disdain for the word show on her face as she took another long drink. Even if she did not appreciate the descriptor, it seemed to describe exactly what she did. She collected secrets and used them to her advantage, and reported said secrets to any employers she had at the time. She reasoned her skills were less subservient, and more calculated, more self-serving. And she was no pest. Much more likable than a mouse. Stood out much more, too.

"Oh," she intoned, a thought occurring to her. "And what sort of wage are we talking?" Her sly gaze trailed down the elf's side to the clinking pouch on his waist. Then she smirked at him teasingly, and took another sip of whiskey.

It was then that Tom turned up with a fresh glass for her. Pleased, she drained the rest of her drink and accepted the new one. "You are a dear." She told him. "Thank you, love." She smiled and winked gratefully at the bartender.

Uro'mel'lenak

He sat and listened to her questions. Uro was hardly surprised at any, they were the essentials. He would have been a bit astonished if none of those had come up. As he listened he sipped from the glass. The alcohol was good. That was something he did share with the people here, an appreciation of booze. He just needed a lot more to get the same effect.

As she finished one of her drinks another was brought to her. This did intrigue him. She felt comfortable putting away alcohol in front of a man who had just broken into her house today. Trusting, or trying to throw him off? He would see soon enough he supposed.

With another sip of his drink, he set down his glass. He shifted his weight uncomfortably and untied the bag that he was carrying at his side. He placed it on the table, but didn't mention it at all as he started to answer the questions.

"Well..." he began slowly, as if trying to remember the first one "My profession is information. I have been recruiting and as I asked around I heard about a woman who was quite skilled in both intelligence and rubbing shoulders, as it were, with wealthier classes. So I dug a bit and found out a lot about you asking the right people the right questions. Even if you wanted to know I wouldn't reveal my sources, not while they may still be useful for other things."

He sipped his drink again. "I call my organization Gesshoku, near where I...was born, it meant 'Lunar Eclipse.' An odd name perhaps, but its the name one way or another. And..." He played with his glass a bit, not nervously but absentmindedly. "...we deal in information as I've said. I buy and sell it to whoever is willing to pay. This could be a king looking to find where an enemy army is, or an assassin looking for that king. The only side I play is mine, and anyone dealing with me knows that. I started with protection as well for different businesses. I don't take much of a cut from them, compared to others in my field, because I find they are more useful when they like me rather when they are resentful."

He sat back then, relaxing more in the booth. He looked her up and down as much as he could from his position. He noticed how attractive she looked still. He laughed to himself a bit. "And I don't think you would fit as one of my mice. You're quite a bit older than them and uh..." he winked at her "...cleaner."

Was he flirting with her? Yes. Was it out of some attraction to her? Her skills is what he wanted, though he could see how others like her would fall for her charms, he was not so easy, at least during business. This was a game to the oni, and he was playing his part.

"No, I want you for something else. Something special. My mice hear things from the lower reaches of the city. Things that anyone can get by being sneaky enough. I need someone like you who can mix with the upper crust and get harder to get information. It's much more challenging and dangerous, but I assure you, I pay better for it." Which is what it all came down to really. How much was the risk worth? That was what his whole career was built upon, rewards for risks.

"As for your pay, that's negotiable. Beyond the money, I am willing to provide protection for your family, as well as the doctor to care for your mother, as he will probably not be able to cure her. I will also do what I can to assure your own protection. Seeing how information can be a dangerous business, I find it good to make sure sources working for me are well kept. That includes from any previous problems you may have had." He drained the rest of his drink in a single swig and held up his glass for the barman to refill. "As for coin, I wonder what you think you're worth, within reason of course. I don't have an exact number in my head, I like to see what others say before I make a deal."

The barman refilled his drink, he drained it quickly and had the man fill it again. This time, as he listened for her response, he nursed the glass more. He even allowed his eyes to blink a bit slowly, "showing" the alcohol was hitting him a bit, even though in actuality he was quite alert. All a part of the game.

Rainie

Rainie was many things. Brash, overconfident at times, and a bit reckless. But one thing she wasn't, was stupid. She absorbed all that Uro'mel'lenak told her and filed it away for later. Gesshoku, huh? It seemed she would be doing a bit of research. If what he told her was true, he would have a rather decent network already throughout the city. She could track them down, she was sure of it. It looked like she would be staying in Alliria a little bit longer.

Slowly, so slowly, the tension in her shoulders eased. She had come to the conclusion that Uro was no vengeful member of the Thieves Guild. She would have recognized him if he were. He was distinctively handsome enough. So, there was that. She had not yet ruled out 'hired assassin,' or 'enemy of Eila hoping for a bargaining chip.' So, guard still up.

Unexpectedly during Uro's explanation, Rainie's eyes met those of Tom, the bartender. The barman was hovering across the dim room, out of Uro's eyeline, and was obviously watching the two of them. At first she thought him just curious or nosy, but when he looked at her he furrowed his brow in what looked like worry. Relieved, she gave the barman a reassuring smile and turned back to the elf. Lucky that she had decided to go inside the inn, as sparsely populated as it was. Better to do these things with witnesses, she realized.

Most bafflingly, the elf winked at her after calling her… clean. She grinned as laughter bubbled up in her chest, which she stifled with trained ease. Only the slightest expression of mirth appeared on her face; which could easily be mistaken for simple pleasure. Dear Astra, he needed her. If that was what passed for charming for him, it was no doubt he’d need her practically beside him at all times.

Thankfully, he seemed to understand her skillset and only asked for things she already excelled at. She wasn’t sure if she should count herself lucky that there were people out there who knew everything about her, or very, very unlucky. Probably unlucky. The worst thing for a spy was to be easily recognized. She tried to remain optimistic.

Once he was finished with his speech, she mulled everything over with a thumbnail dragging across her lower lip. He'd asked her about her wage. Whilst biting the inside of her cheek, her mind ran through numbers rapidly.

“I suppose it would depend on the assignment… Merchant’s Council being top dollar. I assume you haven’t branched outside Alliria?” Dragging her teeth against her lower lip, she raised her glass to her lips again. “But yes, anywhere between 500 and 1000 per month… Depending on the assignment. And I do mean gold.”

Her keen lavender eyes scanned over the lovely elf’s face, measuring his expression and looks for the millionth time. She sipped her drink, noticing then exactly how much her companion had managed to imbibe. Lightweight, her arse.

Rainie smiled lightly, pink lips turning delicately upward. “Consider me interested, then. I’ll give myself the grand tour and come find you, oh, no less than a week from now?” She let her eyelids droop, smouldering across the table at Uro and daring him to challenge her.

She would check out the doctor, first and foremost. And whatever ‘protection’ he planned to appoint her and her family’s home. They would be checked and vetted, possibly blackmailed, all under her jurisdiction. She was not one to trust easily.

"And you can make it easy for me: who do you plan to assign to my family for protection and care? Just full names will do."

• Yay
Reactions: Uro'mel'lenak
Uro raised an eyebrow when she told him her price. He had expected her to ask for a lot, but he hadn't thought it would be that much. Still though, he didn't think it was so out of reason that he couldn't work with it, especially if she delivered. That would be the key, because if he could get her into the places that he wanted her, she would be well worth that amount.

He played with his drink a little as she said the rest of her part of the deal. He smiled a little as she spoke. She was certainly confident with her position, although he did seek her out, so it was to be expected.

Taking another sip of his drink, he let a few moments of silence pass before responding to her. He didn't look at her, being instead lost in his own thoughts on how to properly proceed. He had a few ideas in his mind, but he was not about to do most of them. Too much bloodshed and once more, he would expose his truer nature.

He took a breath in, and instead of answering her, he started with his own question to begin things. His smiled disappeared. "What kind of man do you think I am?" He said, finally raising his eyes to hers. His were an orange color, and he rarely blinked. It could be quite disconcerting to those not used to him.

The smile came back then, along with a chuckle "I only ask because you're clearly confident in yourself to ask such an amount. I want to see how good you are to be worth that much, and would like to know how much from our...limited acquaintance you have been able to see in me.. You must understand, I need to run a business, so an investment like that must be put to the test before I can commit to it."

His smile stayed, but there was a clear amount of focus in his eyes as he looked at her, like a tiger staring at his next meal. She may not have realized the dangerous game she may have been playing, and if not, he would make sure that she would be informed that he was no man to be taken advantage of, if that was indeed what she was doing.

Rainie

A monster within Lorraina snarled at the given challenge. Smiling a far-too-sweet smile, she leaned over the table to whisper her reply.

"Now, now, love. You are expecting a lot of trust from me." She blinked slowly, eyes hooded, contentedness buzzing in the back of her skull. She dragged her tongue over her lower lip and grinned again. "I only ask that you return the same expected trust to me. Believe me.

"I'm worth it."

Sitting back, Rainie closed her eyes and savoured her next sip of malt. She swallowed, and took a slow breath. "I'm a reasonable woman," she teased with her grin still in place. "And really... I'm well off without your wage." Her eyes slid open, and she tilted her head. Her smirk turned teasing. "If you can't afford me, we can negotiate... I'd be lying if I didn't say I was... well, curious."

She bit her lip for probably the thousandth time and leaned over the table once again. Looking up at the elf through her lashes, she proposed, "How about this: I decide whether you and your organization is worth the risk, and you decide if I'm worth the price. After that, should we agree to disagree, my beloved's army of undead won't destroy your entire organization, and your organization will not retaliate against me and my family."

With a pleased smile, as if they were agreeing on a trade of differently flavoured pies, she offered her hand to shake, elbow propped on the table. "I think I like you, Uro'mel'lenak. I believe we'd work well together."

Her smile never faltered.

Uro'mel'lenak

• Yay
He couldn't help but laugh, and Uro laughed loudly. This human was quite spirited. If he wasn't trying to recruit her, he would worry his enemies would. The laugh definitely differed from his usual calm voice. It was much more wild, though it did not betray him not being an elf.

The Oni drained his drink again. He still wasn't feeling anything from the alcohol, but this discussion was elating him. He didn't want to hire grunts. He had enough of those. He wanted individuals who would be able to work on their own, without his constant looking after. This woman, at least from what he could see, would be what he was looking for, even if he did feel like he got under her skin a bit.

"Miss Lorraina, if you want to have a bit of time, then take it. we can discuss more when you're ready." He took her hand in his. His grip was tight for a slim elvish man, but he was barely gripping her hand. Being gentle was something that no Oni was good at, and even though he tried, he found it a difficult skill to master.

"And I thank you for telling me about your beloved." The smile on his face remained, but now it showed something different. She had, either intentionally or by mistake, given him more information about her. Sure, he was not strong enough to take on a whole army, but he had gained more information, and to him that was a victory.

After shaking her hand, he stood up, and bowed his head. "Is there anything else you'd like to discuss this evening or shall I take my leave?" He had already pressured her enough this day. He didn't want to seem too....overbearing.

Rainie

She leaned back as suddenly the booth shook with laughter. Furrowing her brow, she wondered bemusedly if she was being mocked. Uro laughed wildly for an elf, who as a race were usually very prim. She couldn't help but like it a bit.

He agreed to her terms and shook her hand. Smile still frozen in place, she retrieved her hand and hid it under the table. She flexed her abused joints, lips twitching. She hated it when men tried to bully her with strong handshakes. That sort of shallow intimidation wouldn't work on her, only annoy her.

When the elf's smile turned malignant and he thanked her for telling him about 'her beloved,' her own smile turned very sharp. She said nothing more on the subject, letting it drop. It had been a calculated move, for sure. Before, Uro had felt he'd held all the cards. He had invaded her family home and, in not so many words, threatened her mother's life. Barely anyone knew this, but Rainie's greatest weakness was her family.

No, let her distract him with another possible bargaining chip. Eila was, first and foremost, a threat. The banshee could take care of herself, Rainie was sure. After that, she could serve as a distraction. Let Uro think he could use Rainie's beloved against her. She'd like to see him try.

Still, there was the matter of balancing the scales. Uro already knew far too much about her. She would have to do some digging to come up with a few cards of her own. Rainie didn't do unbalanced relationships. She knew better, now. She wouldn't be taken advantage of again.

The elf stood up from the table and asked if there was anything else she wished to discuss. She bit the inside of her cheek, cursing internally. She'd hoped to keep him in conversation for a while, ask him some casual questions until something slipped that she could use. But it looked like she would have to do her homework on her own. She couldn't ask him to stay and chat without looking suspicious. No, it looked like the evening was at an end.

"Mm, yes, one last thing," she said instead. Gathering her things up, and draining the last of her whiskey, she stood up too. She pulled a small, pocket-sized journal out and a rudimentary pencil. "Those names, please. The doctor and protection?" She asked with a smile and her pencil hovering over the paper.

Uro'mel'lenak

• Yay
She asked once more about those whom he would be sending to her. He nodded and started with the physician. "His name is Healer Alluin Drensmon. In certain circles he's called The Witch's Spawn. Don't let that name make you uncomfortable though. He's....eclectic in his research methods, but because of what he has managed to accomplish using his unorthodox studies, he has become quite the brilliant healer. I would say that the things I have heard of him were impressive enough, but he is also my personal healer, so hopefully that puts you at ease enough." He shrugged casually "And if that's not enough, I made a deal with him that if he ever tries anything that ends up harming me or anyone I send him to, I'll disembowel him myself. He was confident enough in his work that he agreed without much hesitation. If you agree to our terms, your mother will have that same protection from me."

Ignoring some of the stares that came his way when Uro mentioned disemboweling, he thought back to Alluin. The man was indeed brilliant, but he was also known as a well accomplished torturer and poison maker. The three professions sat so well together, and they also granted the healer a chance to learn more than he ever could from books about the body of different creatures. It had ended up creating a brilliant, but shunned scholar. When Uro had heard of him, he didn't hesitate to seek out the man. So far, he had proven to be both good, and discrete. The Witch's Spawn was one of the few people who knew of Uro's true nature, but was so fascinated by it, he didn't dare to reveal the Oni, for fear of losing such an interesting patient.

"As for the protection: my organization is the protection." He paused as he picked up the bag of metal he had placed on the table. It was full of metal scraps he had picked up from a local blacksmith. He wanted to test her to see if she would try to take it from him at some point in time, but she had kept her mind on the business it seemed. He was a bit disappointed, there was a note in there and everything.

"What I mean is that as long as you work for me, I use my sources to find any threats to your family, or you for that matter, and we'll make sure that they are dealt with one way or another." He smiled calmly. "So unless you want the names of everyone who works for me, which is a long list that I am not willing to reveal, I will not have any direct names, besides my own who you can look into."

He smiled and bowed very slightly to her. "I have to say, this ended being a...enlightening meeting. I hope to hear back from you at some point Lorraina. When you do decide I'm worthy of your skills or not, give this..." he said pulling out a piece of red paper with black fringe "...to the street urchin who gave you my message today. It'll get to me." He set the paper on the table in arm's length of the woman.

"Walk home safely. The streets are not always safe around here." He said turning to leave. He paused, and turned back to her "That wasn't a threat if that's what it sounded like...just good advice and a well wish." He awkwardly nodded and turned back to leave the bar.

As he left, he immediately sped his walking speed up. After a quick turn around a corner, the tall, beautiful elvish man was gone, instead replaced by an wizened old human. Over the course of his journey, he would play this trick a few more times, til he was satisfied he would have lost anyone following him. This wasn't necessarily for Lorraina, but something he did whenever he would go back to his home. He trusted no one, and he made sure that his enemies, or any wandering eyes, were lost to where he lived.

---------------------

After entering his home in the Outer City, he opened a door under one of the many rugs he had on the floor of his upper class house and walked down. He padlocked the door from the inside, once more a precaution that was perhaps paranoid, but definitely kept himself hidden from the outside world. As he descended into the basement, he turned once more into the elf.

He walked through the door to his "pantry" and breathed in the smell of the food he had prepared earlier that day. The man hanging from chains suspended in the ceiling woke up with a start and started pleading immediately. Uro'mel'lenak put up a finger. "Ah ah...I told you to stay out of my territory after attacking one of those under my protection. And you insulted the mercy I am working so hard to create in myself by doing so again. The small mercy I granted you is gone. Now...." He said, his skin turning a dark blue, horns rising from his head and tusks revealing themselves from his mouth as he grew another foot or two. This was the true Uro "...now you will learn the lesson that you should have the first time."

The Oni hadn't eaten in so long. He stomach had been rumbling since he left the bar. It was time to solve that problem.

He would go to bed full, in his elf form, and satisfied with that night's meeting. Things were going quite well for him.

Rainie

• Yay
Reactions: Rainie
Rainie’s face remained impassive at the mention of disembowelment, of all things. It was not exactly business as usual for her, but the people of power she tended to associate with were inclined to such dramatics. Unreacting, she listened.

Then, she cursed internally, mild smile still pasted on her pretty face. “Mmm,” she hummed. She had been hoping Uro had had a particular thug in mind to do the guarding of her family, hoping for another name, but it looked like she was out of luck. The healer would have to do. She watched disappointedly as the pouch of coins were reattached to the elf’s belt. Her brow furrowed at a particularly sharp bit of something straining against the cloth. She ignored it, and returned her attention back to Uro.

She reached obediently for the black-trimmed bit of red parchment he handed her. She had half a mind to tell him to leave little Pippa well alone, but knew times were hard, and the young orphan would need to earn coin wherever she could.

He bade her to walk home safely, warning her the streets were oft not safe, then amended that it t’was not the threat it sounded to be. She watched him with inquiring wide eyes, then nodded. She watched him leave, mind racing. Tom approached her suddenly with an inquiry:

“Will you be needing a room tonight, Miss Night?” He asked protectively.

“Hold one for me over’morrow. I’ve tasks to complete. And I promised my mother I’d stay for supper tomorrow.”

Without much ado, she stood from her booth and raced out the door once it had swung closed again. She tried desperately to find the elf again, even scaling the adjacent roofs, but could find no trace of him. Damn it all. She’d hoped to follow him back to his home base.

---

The next day, in the market, she began her idle inquiry to her most familiar sources. Several old thieves who remained loyal or impartial to her confirmed the existence of a new, slowly growing force in the underworld. A few contacts managed to point her in the direction of people to question: past members, failed recruits, or faithful patrons. A tavern owner had sworn fealty to Uro’s organization and relied on their protection against opposing gangs whom he owed debts to. A bit of drink loosened his tongue, and no one else had heard.

Rainie had supper with her parents one more time, promising to stay close by but not to occupy their sofa any longer. She worked out a deal with Tom for her temporary residence in the inn close to her parent’s shop. If she performed for three or so odd hours in the evening, she would be allowed to occupy a bed there. Normally, she would entertain for more, but she found herself quite busy.

Between researching Uro's organization, the current Allirian upper class, the Merchant’s Council, and writing letters to Fal’Addas, she had little time to perform. Still, it t’was her escape. She could forget her responsibilities, ignore the dark cloud of threat hanging over her head. She could forget that she needed to patrol her parent’s property at midnight, and again in the morn when she woke.

She asked around, about Healer Alluin Drensmon, his origins, his practices. She was dreadfully worried about his reputation as a creator of deadly poisons and experimentation with other alchemic practices, but tried to keep in mind that the man was Uro’s personal healer. But, then again, what did that mean? Did Uro'mel'lenak require healing? He did not seem undead, but that did not mean he was not invulnerable.

In the end, as always, she decided to take the risk. An act of poor judgement? Possibly. She would still risk her own life over that of her flesh and blood. If her family was in danger, she would take any risk.

She was foolish like that.

She found Pippa in the Arek Slums, gave her the bit of black-trimmed red parchment and a silver coin. True to form, Rainie had sealed the parchment with a dark red kiss. And then she smiled and promised to play dolls with little Pip upon the little girl’s return.

Last edited:
Uro heard a knock on the door of his office in the Gessoku's business headquarters. It was in the backroom of a merchant's house. The merchant was not officially part of the organization, and was paid quite generously to keep his involvement in his housing of it a secret. Word still got around, but Uro'me'lenak was fine with the occasional talk of its location. The money they earned, the prisoners they kept, and the hard copies of information they acquired was spread throughout the Outer city in various hideouts. This location was just where business was discussed, though secrecy of the place was not unwanted.

He nodded, and the dwarvish man who worked as his butler and bodyguard walked to the door. Upon opening it, a small, dirty looking, little girl stood smiling. She ran in. Uro's mind wandered to wondering what she would taste like, as he hadn't eaten anyone for some time, but then it shifted to why she was here.

The little hand pulled out a red and black note, sealed with a kiss. A smile crept onto the oni's elvish face. He had been waiting for this bit of news. He thanked the little girl and reached into a nearby cabinet. He pulled out a really expensive, but practical, doll and handed it to her, as well as showing her a bag full of a few coins. "Now then little Pippa. These are yours. You're not to spend them all on candy. You need to take care of yourself." The girl nodded excitedly as the coins were handed to her.

He walked over to the desk and started to write a note. The dwarf invited the girl to sit on a nearby couch and wait. The two spoke, but Uro only caught bits of what they were saying. The dwarf was quite good with children, something Uro was not. He would usually run the little orphan informants that Uro had acquired through what they needed to do. He was a patient man, so he was well suited to the task.

Finally, Uro sealed the letter. His seal was very plain, just a circle covering another circle: an eclipse.

He walked over to the girl and handed her the note, instructing her on the importance of it and how he would pay her more on delivery. The girl understood and was shown out.

A smile crept on his face. Things were going to plan.

-------------

Pippa carried the note to the nice lady she had before. She was really happy and carried he new doll with her as if it were more valuable than the coins she had been given.

The note read:

"I am glad to hear of your reply. If you would like, meet me at the Crescent Club. I will be in the private room in the back. Come hungry. They do ask for patrons to dress nicely so be prepared.

I look forward to working together.

-U"

At the bottom of the note, there were directions to the club, in case she hadn't been. It was in the Inner City, overlooking the sea.

Rainie

Rainie sat on the edge of the dock, awaiting Pip’s return and sewing a doll a new dress. She’d already fixed the doll’s holes and tears, and was affixing a flower sewn from violet cloth onto the doll’s new dress. Her toes dangled inches from the murky water beneath her.

Not for the first time, she wondered if what she was doing was wise. Not sewing doll clothes from scrap cloth for an orphan, but agreeing to do business with this mob boss. She wasn’t even sure she wished to stay in Alliria for much longer. She had quests to fulfill and friends to adventure with... And a missing brother to find.

What she kept coming back to was: Uro’s organization knew of her parents, and where they lived. Her family had always been her weak point.

She sighed, then looked up at the sound of a child’s clumsy running steps. Little orphan Pippa had returned with a reply and a brand new doll.

Rainie smiled and ooh’ed and ahh’ed over the girl’s new toy, then read the letter quickly. She worried at her lip for a moment, confused. He hadn’t given her a day or time… so was she meant to assume she was expected tonight? Or did he just spend a lot of time there? With a huff, she stashed the note away and turned her attention to Pippa, who was very excited to play with her new doll.

---

Rainie went back to her room at Tom’s inn and searched through her meager belongings. As expected, she came up nearly empty handed. Everything she had was practical and could barely be considered nice. She only carried things she would need on the road, and sold and bought things as she needed. No need to carry any unnecessary weight. Her back had enough problems as it was.

Normally she would just go out and buy a dress, but thankfully she was very close to a certain seamstress who would happily loan her anything she wanted to borrow.

She pulled out the first thing that caught her eye in her mother’s closet. It was a burgundy silk gown that brushed the floor. The sleeves were fitted and intricately beaded with a silk ribbon twining all the way down the arm.

“I think it will be a touch tight on you, dear,” came her mother’s raspy voice.

Rainie considered the bust of the dress and wrinkled her nose. “Corset it is,” she grumbled. She checked the back. “Thank the gods it’s lace-backed!”

Her mother laughed, then spiraled into a coughing fit.

With her mother’s help, she dressed and discreetly armed herself. After slipping on some pretty bowed shoes and dabbing a bit of rouge on her lips, she covered herself with a long cloak and set out to walk to the Inner City.

She had asked her father to lock up the house and stay home, and vigilant, for the rest of the night. It wouldn’t do any good for this to be a trap to get Rainie away from her parent’s house, giving someone the perfect opportunity to attack.

As she passed through the gates into the Inner City, she felt one of her garter sheaths slipping down. She adjusted it in an alley, ensuring her stiletto dagger wouldn’t be falling down to her ankles at any point. That would be embarrassing.

Rainie rejoined the well-dressed crowd of the Inner City foot traffic. The traffic itself was quite thin, but she found herself dodging expensive carts carrying wealthy passengers quite often. She ended up hitching a ride on a skiff to make it across a wide channel with no bridge in sight.

She found the Cresent Club as the sky was turning pink. The sunset would soon light the yonder sea with sparkling oranges and yellows. Taking a fortifying breath, she threw the guard at the front a demure smile and slipped inside.

It was so different from the taverns she’d come to be familiar with in her travels. She drew her cloak from her shoulders, and before she could drape it over her arm, someone stepped forward and whisked it away for her. The floor was clean, polished wooden planks, not dirt. The music was neither brash nor rowdy, but beautiful and resounding with discipline and skill. Rainie sunk a sharp tooth into her tongue, attempting to quell the urge to join in. A song had sprung to mind and everything.

She distracted herself by swinging towards the bar and ordering a drink. She asked the barman where the private rooms were, as she was to be meeting a friend. The barman looked her up and down, eyes trailing slowly, before meeting her glittering eyes and returning her smile. He passed her a glass of amber liquid and pointed her in the correct direction.

Rainie smoothed her hair down and pulled the wavy length of it over one shoulder. Thinking quickly, she downed her first pour and ordered a double. Feeling confident, knowing she looked beautiful, she strode towards the private rooms with a sway of her hips in each step. She moved the curtain aside with one arm and ducked inside.

Her curious eyes roved around the small room before falling on her target, then she smiled slowly.

Uro'mel'lenak

Last edited:
Uro was dressed in his usual black, but this time he wore a covering with more golden embroidery. His hair was especially silver that night. He said, when asked by the man at the front desk who was quite used to his visits, that it was a phase of the moon that caused his hair to change. It of course was not that, but he wouldn't say the true nature of his ever slightly changing look.

As he had sat down at the table, he had ordered a little bit of everything, or 'his usual'. As he waited for his guest, the food that would not go cold arrived, so soon the table was covered in pastries, salads, and even a few kinds of alcohols, and that was just the first course. He would not usually eat it all, as to not raise so much suspicion, but would consume a staggering amount for how thin he appeared.

The oval table itself was fine mahogany, and it looked like it could fit comfortably five or six people. One of the sides, the side he was on, was a large curved red-cushioned booth. The other had three chairs that were had red leather cushions to match the booth's and had curving arms to each side.

Wondering if she had gotten the message, he sampled a scone that was on the table. Not his favorite food in the world, but it was still delicious. Part of him wondered if his message had been a bit vague. But if she didn't show that night, he would just keep coming. He took out some paperwork and with a quill and ink started to work on business while he waited. He would occasionally look up from his work, to admire the sky outside the large window that lead to a deck over the sea.

Nature can be beautiful at times, He mused to himself.

As he was in the middle of a document, his hearing picked up the sound of women's shoes and curtains moving. Soon a familiar smell reached his nose, and he knew his guest had arrived.

He didn't stop working at once to look up at her. The part he had gotten to required his attention and he didn't want to finish half way. So, Uro spoke to her without looking "Apologies, finishing up here. Please, sit, eat, enjoy the view. It won't be a minute."

Whatever she decided to do, he finished his work quickly, and stowed the papers and other supplies in a fine leather bag, and then pushed it below the booth seat he was on. He looked up finally to see the woman in the room with him. Once more, he was surprised how much he found her attractive. She was elegantly dressed and carried herself to match.

"Lovely to see you again Ms. Lorraina." he smiled, trying to mee his orange-gold eyes to hers. His unblinking gaze could be unsettling to many mortal creatures though his was not his intent in this case.

"Eat as much as you'd like, we can talk business during the main course if you wish, or after the meal. Either works for me."

He put some food on his plate, and asked "How is your family?" Uro had not been keeping an eye on them since they had met. He didn't need to drive home that he could find them anymore. At this point, he was making conversation.

Rainie

She noticed his hair seemed to be a cooler tone in the lighting of the club. Uro was bent over some document, scratching away at it with a quill. Upon the quick dismissal and being bade to wait, Rainie bit the inside of her cheek. She could recognize when she was subtly being put in her place. It didn’t mean she liked it in the least.

Oh, well. She could play. Smiling demurely, she bypassed the chairs across from his seat and took up the seat with the best view of the sunset in the booth. Whilst she was being ignored, she ought to indulge a little. She gulped down the rest of her liquor in a second and turned her sights to an expensive bottle of wine. Perfect.

She took a sip from a random water glass, leaving a smear of red rogue on the rim. There was a spread of light food upon the table, scones and bread and salads. Nothing sweet, unfortunately. She helped herself to a few bits of cheese that would complement the expensive wine and looked out over the water as the setting sun turned it a glittering red and orange. Every once in a while she would glance over to see what Uro was writing.

Rainie raised her brows when she was finally addressed, by her full name, of course. She turned in her seat to face Uro and gave him a bland smile, locking her gaze with his brazenly.

“Please, call me Rainie, if you like,” she crooned, then took a long sip of wine. It was quite nice, full bodied and still light, with the slightest hint of oak. “If only to spare me from uttering Uro’mel’lanek every time I wish to address you.” She drew out every syllable of his name in a sing-song voice to emphasize the length of it. A smirk spread across her face despite herself, and mischief danced in her eyes as she held his.

She returned to her plate after a moment, then noticed a pile of grapes a little ways across the table. She had to rise a bit out of her seat to reach them, biting her lip, but she secured a stem of them successfully, with no casualties across the rest of the table. Though it would serve Uro right if she spilled her wine on his so very important documents. Shame they were tucked away and well protected already.

“Do you eat here often?” She asked distractedly, finding a bad grape and dropping it to the table. “I wonder if they’ll have any roast…” she mused.

At Uro’s next question, she sent him a polite smile that would seem a bit tight to anyone who knew her well enough. “They are well, thank you. Mother had a such a great time picking out my shoes for the night I think I ought to go out on the town more often.” She sipped her wine again and inspected the man beside her out of the corner of her eye.

She was already bursting with questions. She wanted to confirm what she had found out, and discover what he had in mind for her. And beyond that, she wished, wanted, needed to decide what her play was going to be. She was so excited to begin.

Instead, she leaned back against her seat and rolled her wine glass against her lower lip and looked out over the view of the sunset again.

“Well,” she intoned questioningly, “do you have any family?” She paused, then added, “I promise I won’t track them down or anything so diabolical.” After that innocently fired jab, she raised her empty hand in a mock salute of honesty. “Thief’s honor,” she swore with a twitching grin.

Uro'mel'lenak