Private Tales Love on my fingers, lust on my tongue

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zaire

Nerf this
Character Biography
Link
A month had passed. Within that time, many things had happened. There was another court party that Luella had gone to and regretted as she had made a fool of herself. Meeting another swordsman who bested her with ease. Baking a cake and getting higher than Lessat at it’s peak. Beginning the search of the singular lead she had on her family and their horrific murder. Getting stronger. Sword skills improving, confidence growing. She still scowled more than she should. Was still very irritable despite one’s best intentions, and was nowhere near to actually being a better person emotionally and mentally. But hey, at least her abdomen was tight and the rest of her body was honed in a way that felt different. She felt more nimble, had a greater sense of agility, and didn’t feel a loss of strength. Her balance had improved even. The month had been eventful, positive even for the most part.

But the month started from when she left Elle’s house. The sassy witch hadn’t quite bewitched Luella, rather, it was really the other way around. Whether it was Luella who had cruelly taken advantage of the situation and Elle herself or just a misunderstanding, Luella waved it all off as if it were just some pseudo-semantic questions. What happened, happened, that was it.

Yet, Luella would admit, if only inwardly and to herself, that Elle coming to mind while she laid awake at night did represent something. More desire? Luella couldn’t discern her cardinal tendencies from longing. And besides, Luella Balsinde didn’t pine for anyone. She had chosen her fate the moment she sought revenge. She knew the end before any dynamic began.

And so, off she was trudging through the falwood with a wicker basket looped onto her forearm, covered by a simple white cloth. Inside were sweets, that she had baked, a glazed lemon cookie, fig cookies that had taken two days to make, sweet bread, and baked nuts that were covered in sugar and cinnamon. But she didn’t bring only food, no, Luella was a woman and thus knew how to leave a more permanent mark: inside the basket were two crystal glasses, a floral design etched into them. They were quite girly, and Luella felt a bit nervous in even having Elle see them. What if she didn’t like them? Perhaps she should have picked out ones that had frogs and broomsticks and an arched cat instead?

Despite not seeing Elle since, or even deciding to enter the mortal realm since her time with a sellsword and a giant Templar, Luella could find Elle’s home easily. The webs of the spiders made her think that perhaps crystal glasses covered in webs and arachnids would have been better. She stopped her trek, looking around. For some reason the pale white hair on the back of her neck had stood up, but only briefly. Was it because it was another full moon? Luelle looked over, but her lavender gaze was covered by the trees branches overhead, hiding the setting sun from her. The short duanann moved on, getting closer and closer to the Witch Selena’s home.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Elle Selena
Sometimes things happen in a person's life that change them in ways they couldn't have imagined. Elle's generally combative attitude and overall cynicism towards the world was challenged by a sexually charged Fae, and what had happened was something that she was completely unready to experience, a whirlwind of pain and pleasure and everything in between, and the end result was that Elle was now, more than ever, inescapably, incomprehensibly alone.

At 22 she was technically an adult. But Elle had only had her mother growing up, so there were others her age who were much more mature and put together. Perhaps more importantly, there were others who were better at dealing with their sorrows. But Elle had spiraled almost completely. She refused all townspeople who came to her for help, and she sat around every day eating sweet breads and desserts and mushrooms, the remains of which were in various parts of her cottage, including her bed sheets. She'd spent most of her time since Luella had left in that bed, eating, crying, and sleeping, looking out the window to pass time, or reading a book when she felt she needed something to do. She'd put on some weight, for sure, which only made her spiral further.

She knew the Patron of the Moon wouldn't let her hurt herself, or do anything too foolish, but Elle needed something to happen. Something to change. Anything to deal with this creeping loneliness she couldn't shake no matter how hard she tried. So, she got her knife--Luella had called it a letter opener--sat in the center of her room, kneeled down, and then gathered up much of her long hair. She didn't know if anyone was approaching; why would today be any different? Then, she put the knife to her hair, as tears came down, unsure if she could go through with this, but no one was stopping her...

• Cry
Reactions: Zaire
Elle’s home soon came into sight after about another half mile of walking. Good thing that Luella had long legs, or at least to mortals. She was quite short for her kind. Thank goodness she had an affinity for the earth, or else she would be suffering whenever it meant she needed to hike around like how she always did whenever she decided to be a part of the mortal realm. She’d have to make another venture out here again, to deal with business.

Today she was dealing with a certain sort of business. The one that related to apologizing without actually saying the words “I’m sorry.” Luella had to pause, recollect her thoughts. She wasn’t sure if she was welcomed at this point, considering the last hour they had spent together was one that was filled with insults and anger and hardly any sort of understanding. Or rather, no sort of understanding from Luella who was still upset that Elle had to ruin their passion by crying over some bite that may have broken through the skin and drew blood. She pushed that back, she didn’t want to great Elle with bitterness.

The gifts were the apology. And to hopefully have Elle welcome her. As fae she had to obey the laws of hospitality, even if this wasn’t her home, if she was asked to leave she had to follow it. But considering Elle had wanted her to stay last time, it was fine for her to enter. Luella wasn’t sure if Elle was home or out and about. She began walking once again, coming to Elle’s front step. Without knocking, she opened the door, needing to lean over so she wouldn’t hit her head on the doorframe and stepped inside to see a rather horrifying sight.

Elle Selena

• Nervous
She wasn't sure she heard the door when she finally arrived at the moment of her decision. Yes, she needed to do this. It would make her feel better. It had to, right? She could get rid of this part of herself, and that would make her feel less lonely, somehow. So, right as Luella walked in the door, she drew the knife and sliced clean through the hair she held, threads scattering here and there from the violent pull. She let go with her hand, the dismembered hair falling to the floor with an unceremonious thump as Elle's hair seemed to almost reel and shiver from the cut of the knife.

Had someone walked in? She wasn't sure. She turned, and saw... no. No. It couldn't be. Not here, not right now, not with her hair she'd just severed, not with what had happened, and not with the stupid pounds she'd put on in the meantime. Her eyes widened from the shock; maybe she was just imagining it. What cruel entity was watching her to make these horrible visions appear now, of all times? Her mouth opened, ever so slightly, as if to say something to the apparent apparition, but no words came out, as tears welled in her eyes, ready to burst with the slightest provocation.

• Scared
Girls with long black hair. Luella had always said that was her type when it came to females. She liked different things when it came to men. But for the ladies that often took Luella’s breath away, it was always the long dark hair that contrasted her own. And now it was scattered on the floor haphazardly, and all she could do was stand there and look at it.

Why would you do that?” Luella asked, softly, her gaze finally roving up to meet Elle’s terrified stare. She could see them water, and yet, Luella was never the best when it came to comforting a crying woman. Heck, she hadn’t cried in nearly a millennia. And while a part of her knew that she should most definitely not say anything to cause Elle to cry, Luella also had no idea what to even say. Not to mention that Elle’s hair looked like a mess. It was such a bad cut.

I… I suppose long hair could be… a pain.” She said slowly, but really this scene was hitting too close to home. Luella steeled herself, forgetting the shame of when her own hair was cut, by force instead of choice, and what it represented to her. Elle liked to paint on her skin. Maybe this was just another… weird witchy tradition she had no idea about?

Elle Selena

• Cry
She must have looked quite the mess indeed. For moments she stayed there in shock and panic, still so mortified that Luella had entered in on so intimate and desperate a moment without so much as a warning or notice. How could she have known? Perhaps Luella would think it was her fault--or maybe not, she didn't seem apologetic about biting her and then leaving--but her presence all the same was far too much to bear. Tears streamed down Elle's face as her face contorted into intense anguish, gritting her teeth trying not to sob uncontrollably.

"What are you doing here, you idiot?" she said, cruelty in her words, moments before she broke down completely and tears began rolling down like raindrops. She tried burying her face in her arms, her hands, anything to stop the flow of tears that were barreling down out of her control, and her breathing grew jagged and uneven.

"How could you just" a sniffle "leave me like that and" bigger sniffle "let me here alone" jagged breath "after doing that--"

After that, she could say no more. It was too much. She wept openly and without restriction, and it would be many minutes before she could even think of composing herself again.

• Nervous
Luella frowned immediately at being called an idiot. She was about to retort something back, probably about how only an idiot would cut their hair so haphazardly but the words couldn’t have even formed completely in her mind before Elle began to sob. Sobbing was far different than crying, there was something about the sense of sorrow it brought— how it made the body wheeze and heave and ache as if in death. The frown deepened on Luella’s face despite her eyes growing more soft. With a sigh, Luella placed the basket of “forgive me” goodies on the table, walking over to Elle and kneeling down behind her.

It was such an ugly face Elle was making, Luella wondered if her face had been twisted up in the same fashion, like a used up tissue that had served it’s purpose but was no longer needed. Although, unlike Elle’s current emotional dilemma, Luella was sure her face held far more disgust and pity.

I told you I was sorry for biting you, I won’t do it again.” Luella said as soothingly as she could, using her heads to smooth out the remains of Elle’s raven black hair. She wasn’t sure exactly what to do, a part of her thought it would be a good idea to hug her but felt Elle might push her away if that was the case. Also… a wet, snotty shoulder didn’t sound appealing. “And I can help you fix your hair. We can even it out.” She added, wondering if perhaps Elle was just embarrassed about Luella stepping into her home to find her cutting her hair.

Elle Selena

• Sip
She cried for many minutes before she finally got ahold of herself. When she did, she acted as any young girl might in the face of her crush-she-hated-but-also-was-really-glad-was-back.

"I-I knew it," she said, mid-sob. "My hair looks terrible. I'm stupid for cutting it," she said, as her eyes widened and she teared up more, looking pleadingly at Luella. Lue seemed to be handling the situation much better than Elle was--probably an obvious statement--but still she hoped it would evoke some kind of reaction from the duanann.

After a moment though, she shook her head, having regained a little bit of her composure.

"It... It's not about the bite," Elle said, gritting her teeth for a second. "I... It's.. you couldn't have known. I am dreadfully alone, Luella. I didn't know just how much until... until you showed me."

Her heart was racing. She didn't know how she'd just admitted that, but it was out there now and there wasn't much she could do about it. She gave Luella a very sheepish smile, before adding:

"I'm going to die. In about 18 years I'm going to die. And I thought that when I did, I would be alone. When you were with me, I... maybe just for a moment maybe thought I wasn't. I'm sorry. It's not your fault."

• Cry
Luella wasn’t quite sure how to answer everything. First was the statement about Elle’s hair, and if Luella was being honest, yes, she didn’t like the hair cut. And it wasn’t that it necessarily looked bad on Elle, luckily Elle had very pretty features regardless if her hair was short or long, but Luella was just used to the long hair. It was what attracted her in the first place. The second statement, being stupid for cutting it, Luella agreed with as well. Did mortals not understand how long it took to grow out hair? Luella had been growing hers for centuries and it still wasn’t to her knees!

The next statements were harder for Luella to comprehend and figure out the best way to proceed. But the issue with that was that Luella didn’t know how to proceed regardless because she just didn’t know Elle well enough. She knew some things about Elle, and had just learned more things about her, but it didn’t meant that Luella could traverse this tender, emotional moment unscathed. And so Luella disregarded everything that had been previously said and focused on the very last statement… one that specifically did not involve her.

What do you mean you’ll die in 18 years? Who is going to kill you?” There was worry mixed with anger in her voice. Quite frankly the blonde duanann wanted to know who on Arethril thought that they could take one of Luella’s precious things away from her. She’d prove them wrong.

Elle Selena

Elle took a few deep breaths, realizing what she'd just partially admitted and knowing she hadn't admitted this to anyone else before. How she'd managed to keep it a secret this long was somewhat of a mystery to her, but nonetheless... she wanted to tell Luella, even if right now she hated her. Well, Elle didn't really hate her, she was just upset and scared and alone and these feelings overwhelmed her constantly, especially when she thought about Luella leaving again.

"I... my family that is... Oh, where do I even start," she said. She cleared her throat before beginning again. "My bloodline is.. the creation of, or was selected for... I'm not sure on that part... for a cycle that happens every 40 years in my bloodline. A dark Patron of the Moon uses our bodies as energy, and when I turn 40, my body will be offered up as part of that cycle, and a great calamity will befall all of Erethil... It could be great storms, or earthquakes, or other great and terrible acts of nature. A being so great and terrible... There's nothing someone like me could ever do to fight back against that. I cast a single spell and it tires me for the rest of the day. This being... it is beyond my understanding. I only know that when I turn 40, in 18 years, that I will die, and something terrible will happen. In the meantime, I am to have a daughter of my own, who will continue the cycle, but I..."

She teared up, then cried again, this time leaning forward to wrap her arms around Luella's leg, sobbing.

"I don't know how to do that when I know I'm just going to die anyway," she whimpered. "And you..." she uttered with a great, jagged breath, "you made me feel like I wasn't going to be alone for this. And then... And then you left, after we fought, because I couldn't shut my mouth for just long enough that someone might actually want to stick around."

She looked up at Luella, hopeful and smiling through the tears, pleading with her eyes that the duanann would hear her and understand, somehow...

• Cry
One would have thought that it would have clicked much faster for Luella, the source of Elle’s pain, the reason why their single sweet night together had become sordid with bitterness. As Luella listened to Elle, still sitting there like an inept idiot, a hand did reach out to pat down Elle’s hair, smoothing it out with her fingers to the best of her abilities. She frowned the entire time, even when Elle looked up at her. She tried to force a smile to match Elle’s but instead she could only grimace.

The truth was, Luella didn’t like the sound of this at all. Eighteen years left? That’s all that Elle had? To Luella, that was a mere blink that maybe lasted a second too long.

That’s not a cycle, that sounds like a curse.” Luella said after a moment, her mind only focusing on what the possible solutions could be to fix this. Some entity in the moon? A moon spirit? And why every forty years? Maybe to keep it from the witch getting too strong, to fight against the curse? Luella turned away from Elle to stare at the ground, her mind racing with probabilities.

When we got surrounded by those spiders, that magick, did it come from the moon and not yourself?” Luella questioned, once again, unfortunately missing the entire point.

Elle Selena

That’s not a cycle, that sounds like a curse.
Elle slammed the ground with her hands at this, crying anew at her words. "Yes, it is a curse. A curse most terrible upon me and every witch who has had the misfortune to be born in my line. A wretched line of fatherless girls forced to grow up without a mother only to endlessly repeat it like some sad ending of a bad joke, told over and over again, with no end in sight..."

It wasn't fair to show Luella the full extent of the suffering she'd endured. Luella was older than she was, older than Elle could comprehend, really, and she felt self-conscious that her problems must seem insignificant to the fae. Maybe such curses were common among her people, and Elle truly was the acme of a misfortunate person...

"With the spiders I thought it was my Patron, but it was actually just me... I'm not capable of such magics normally. I'm lucky I lived," she said, the irony of her statement biting particularly hard when it came to her brand of 'luck'. She didn't know why Luella was asking, but she was at least happy Lue was asking questions, and she was getting some sense that the fair duanann might have genuine concern for her, something which would surprise Elle, to say the least...

Luella’s hand moved to rub up and down Elle’s back as she cried once more. It seemed like the only thing she could do was make Elle cry or upset. Not something she wanted to brag about. She wasn’t sure if her hand sliding up and down Elle’s back was soothing, and really, this form of gentle affection felt a bit awkward for the duanann. There was no sexual intent, just the intent to hopefully soothe a human witch who had confessed that in eighteen years she would die. Who confessed that her future generations would endure this same curse.

Without your magick you still would have lived, I was there,” Luella corrected, a slight edge in her voice. She wasn’t mad at Elle, but the news was a bit rough to take in. The day wasn’t going how luella had planned. In truth she had suspected that as she entered Elle’s home she would be doing something near her cauldron. She would see Luella and run into her arms and Luella would show the basket of gifts and then Elle could no longer be mad at her. Luella sighed, a long, deep one that showed her mind had been overthinking as many things as it could.

You’ve never met this Patron? Even in a dream?” Luella said, standing up and pulling up Elle with her as well. She noticed that Elle was heavier than before, not that it gave Luella any issues, but it was noticeable. For the time being she didn’t say anything about it. She wasn’t sure if she could handle a sobbing Elle. The more simple crying was easier. “Do other witches know of this patron? They have to have some sort of name, don’t they? To hold power that can cause this curse for generations?” Luella wasn’t sure what she was trying to make sense of, all she knew was that she wanted to fix it. She’d fight this patron herself… just, well, she had no idea how to get to the moon, but if she got there then she’d teach that patron a lesson: don’t touch Luella’s things.

Elle Selena

• Cry
Luella's touch was more comforting than Elle would ever let on. Since her mother died, she always had to comfort herself whenever things got like this, and even so small an action meant mountains to her. More perplexingly, however, would be Luella's following statements, where Elle sensed... concern? Or at the very least interest... which, again, was so bafflingly unfamiliar that she was as confused as she was comforted. In fact, the strangeness of it all nearly made her forget their previous encounter, and her misplaced anger at the fae, who seemed less cruel by the moment.

"No, I... the Patron... I don't know. The way my mother spoke about her..." Elle was, perhaps, understandably hesitant. "I'm not sure if the Patron is the moon, or merely a being of it. I just don't know. It's not something we ever thought to research; risking its ire isn't something we've ever been in a position to do, and... it's been easier to just accept our fates. Maybe I'm the only one, maybe there are other witches, too; I just don't know. I don't even know it's name."

Of course, she wouldn't be Elle if she didn't have some kind of comeback, inappropriate or otherwise.

"It's a pretty messed up spirit that picks out lonely women as a power source, huh?"

• Cry
Luella chuckled at Elle’s last and final comment, everything else Elle had said before that didn’t change Luella’s fowl mood. It seemed rather hopeless, however, for someone like Luella who had faced despair, not once but twice, she could empathize much better with Elle. Perhaps not in the way the young woman wanted or needed, but it was there and that bond had been formed. Something far different than the lust from the previous visit.

At least you have time to figure things out,” she said softly, that frown still present but really, there wasn’t much more to say on the matter. Luella could keep asking Elle questions but it seemed like she knew next to nothing. It could be something Luella herself may have to investigate instead. She was more apt at traveling and uncovering secrets. She was curious if maybe a studious acquaintance might know of anything.

Elle Selena

“At least you have time to figure things out.”

"Well I'm glad you think so," Elle chided. "Half of my life is already over! And I haven't the faintest idea how to live the rest of it. Is it really much of a life lived, if I know my life is going to end, and exactly when? How much figuring out could I possibly do?"

Before Luella could answer, Elle stood up and walked over to her pantry, quickly grabbing more of the sweet bread she'd bartered for in town, beginning to wolf it down as she turned back to Luella. It was a perfectly healthy response to the stress of predetermined death, she thought, especially with her body being marked as fuel for some unknown entity. Oh, and she hadn't even told Lue about the whole finding-a-man-and-having-a-baby thing before that appointed time, too, which only made things more complicated and stressful...

After she stuffed her face, she spoke softly.

"I'm sorry, that was rude of me. I'm afraid the only thing I have less control over than my life right now is my tongue."

Luella Balsinde

• Orc
Luella’s lips quirked up ever so slightly as Elle decided to get back into her usual sarcastic self. Luella preferred this so much more than when she had been crying. Much easier to deal with and understand. Even if the bad news didn’t dissipate with the sarcasm, for now, Luella could put it in the back of her mind. She could fret about things much later. However, after Elle’s bout of light scolding, Luella raised a brow as she went to go and… eat.

As if she were starving. As if she hadn’t eaten. Which most definitely wasn’t the case, Luella noted. Being fae did grant Luella a very good metabolism, and even in her future when she would be old, she would most definitely still retain a leanness that was signaturely fae.

And your appetite,” Luella said, standing up and walking over to Elle, wiping the crumbs off her cheek. “You shouldn’t be eating so many sweets. It isn’t the healthiest.” It was the nicest way Luella could phrase what she wanted to say. At this time, and Luella realized this too late, it probably wasn’t a good idea to comment on Elle’s weight. But commenting on health was perfectly fine, right?

Elle Selena

Elle's face must have been covered in crumbs from the dessert as Luella pointed out that such foods weren't particularly healthy. This perhaps went without saying, and Elle was all too aware of this fact as she grabbed yet another dessert from the pantry, and took a bite, speaking again with her mouth half full.

"Healff?" she said, swallowing. "What, do lunar patrons prefer lean witches? If that's the case," she took another bite, "I shouldf eat more!"

What is she on about anyway? My health? Yeah, you cared a lot about that a month ago when you took a bite out of my flank like a rabid dog. I'll eat as many cakes as I please, it's not like it matters anyway right?

Internally she sighed, even as she wolfed down the rest of the sweets. She didn't feel great about eating so much, but then, she supposed things could be worse. Somehow.

Luella Balsinde

• Nervous
Luella did consider that yes, Elle was upset. She also considered that really, if one wanted to spite someone, doing the opposite of what they wanted you to do was usually the best way to go. Luella knew, she did it constantly. At the same time, despite Elle’s irritation being completely valid, the fae couldn’t help but to quirk her lips up ever so slightly at her sarcasm.

I’m only saying this because you’ll just make our journey harder on yourself having to carry around extra weight.” She said this easily, much like an egotistical, narcissistic mother would speak to her first born daughter. Ruthless yet with the disguise of “Trying to help.” Yet, Luella truly saw this as a valid point because at this moment, even if it was rather impulsive, they were gonna go on a journey. “I don’t mind carrying most of our resources on my back, but I’m the only one with some real skill. I’ll need to be able to drop everything and draw my sword at the drop of a pin unless you can freeze time.

Obviously, Elle couldn’t freeze time. That was preposterous.

I’m sure right now as you are, you can’t possibly carry even twenty pounds for a measly eight hours.” Luella shook her head. Humans. Always so fragile despite being so full of life.

Elle Selena

Carry around extra weight...? Elle thought, stopping her chewing for a moment, then swallowing. Journey? Wait...

"What are you suggesting? And..." It dawned on her that Luella was making comments about her weight again. Elle's eye twitched. "I'll have you know I get plenty of exercise from walking around making deliveries for commoners around here--not all of us have to have all the strength of a wild bear to be satisfied with ourselves, either, so really, maybe you should consider that you're the one making things have a bit extra "weight.""

Elle took another bite of her sweet bread to illustrate her point. After a brief pause, her tone grew more serious, and her cheeks flushed ever so slightly.

"You said our journey. Are you kidnapping me?" As always, her tone was biting, but this time it was a little bit nervous as well. "I'll have you know it's 1000 years of bad luck to do such things to witches, and considering you're one of those long-lived types, that has to be at least 10,000 for you."

Elle's gaze was fixed on Luella now. Her heart skipped a beat.

No, really, what are you thinking?

Luella Balsinde

• Devil
Luella, despite now not being the best time, smiled at Elle. She went over to her, rest a hand on the top of her head, stroking down her freshly cut dark tresses. Luella’s words were harsh, but there was a part of her that struggled to comprehend it. To her it was so factual, so logical, when she said it to someone else. However, if someone had said words like that to her? She’d be a huge ball of insecurity and would have lashed out at them physically with all the anger and rage she could muster.

She bypassed Elle’s comment about her and the “extra weight” bit because that was besides the point.

I’m not allowed to kidnap you, that’s against the law for my court,” A truth hiding a lie. Luella could kidnap Elle and keep her as long as she wanted as long as she wasn’t caught. “What I am talking about is finding out what… your patron is. And how to stop it. You can’t do it by yourself, considering what you’ve told me, you’re going to need someone with a lot of power to protect you. And I have a lot of power.” The duanann said with a twinge of mirth in her tone.

Elle Selena

• Cthuloo
Elle raised an eyebrow. Perhaps the duanann had taken her kidnapping joke seriously. Regardless, Elle tried to contain herself as Luella then said what Elle could only surmise must have been a joke in and of itself. Yet the tone was so serious... she tried so hard. She tried harder than she had ever tried to do anything in her entire life, not to laugh. But it was just no good. She cackled and howled at the suggestion that someone such as herself might somehow defeat whatever spirit was possessing Elle. She only added to the insult with what she said once she had collected herself enough again to speak.

"Oh yes, very much power, enough to kill an ancient spirit that makes me bristle with magic whenever there's a full moon," she said, chuckling. "We'll just walk up to it and you'll stick it with your big sword, then we'll all go home and have a giggle about it later. Just in time for another sweet roll, too! No problem."

She let a very heavy pause fill the air. It seemed she was, in fact, very serious. Elle's face burst into a crimson red.

"By the heavens, you're serious," she said, in a soft, perhaps unfamiliar tone. "What... how... you can't kill a being like that," she said, almost not believing the words she was saying, so confident was Luella.

Could she really do that? Would sticking it with a sword really work?

It still sounded preposterous. But Elle wanted to believe her. Any girl doomed to die by her 40th birthday might. Even one such as Elle.

"Wh-what... how... yes," Elle said, answering a question Luella hadn't explicitly asked. She only hoped she didn't look as desperate as she felt.

Luella Balsinde