LFG Looking not for the one, but the many

Feryke

Patron saint of side-characters
Hey there. It's me, Feryke, deciding now would be a good time to get a little more involved over here. You may refer to me as Feryke, Ferkle, or Ferkgor the burninator--if you really want to suck up to me.

I have been meaning to get into a couple more threads for quite a while now that I've properly settled in and had a look around all your niches, nooks and other odd-end assortment of crannies. The only unfortunate reality of the matter is that I'm really quite awful at tossing out initial interest threads without a fair share of trepidation about how they'd come out, and so the most obvious solution for any rational person would be to give all of you beautiful people a great number of starting ideas and possibly some accompanying plot beats.

Make no mistake. I won't be able to do all of them right now due to limited time from work or other societal obligations, nor will they all be true to the letter without straying at least a little bit from the original idea, but hopefully not too far off the mark. Think of it more as a soundboard and some tentative networking with anyone interested in pursuing these (or otherwise unrelated) ideas further. If any of you are curious or want to discuss anything at all related to starting any threads, I'm always available here, on discord, or forum messaging.

For ease of everyone involved (most of all me), things will be separated into quests and adventures; the former are largely railroaded threads with a fairly good idea of where they're headed and where they're ending up, while the latter is up to a lot more interpretation from both parties and is generally accepted to be very flexible. I'm completely happy to discuss either with people, though, so feel free to let me know your thoughts.

Some names, locations and even entire quests are bound to change as well, just to again keep that in mind. These are all extremely rough drafts.

'Quests'​

What ails Aleswiht?

An autumn's pungent odors, a fishery's sun-kissed refuse, and an ocean's stagnant breeze. All of these smells are a herald of what one was to expect, scents and sounds drifting upon a chill wind that served to carry the miasma of a humble fishing village's existence past horizons that few, if any, locals ever bothered laying eyes beyond.

As one reading this might come to suspect: there's a moral decay underneath that is rather quite well complimented by the town's fetor and unfeeling nature towards visitors--despite its growing importance as a relatively conveniently situated port--and all others on business unknown. That is not to say that it is an isolated place, for it isn't, and more people are to come by the day either seeking the last passages across the coast before winter falls, or to celebrate the bumper harvests and subsequent flower festival that has humbly claimed a degree of local infamy, if unfortunately not acclaim.

Due to the fact that for all its tricks and garlands, the next few tense days are almost always punctuated by people of all walks chafed by crowds, taxed on everything from foodstuffs to toy trinkets by its governor, and beset upon by religious and cultural tensions between the town's parish and just about everyone else outside of it.

This particular year has seen those typical frustrations and inconveniences molder into something far more insidious, and dangerous. There's now talk upon the wind (smell dubiously masked by a thousand falling petals) that all of these things will inevitably, and conclusively, come to a head at this festival. All of it is spoken with resignation in the voice, terror in one's eyes, a firm belief that such a reckoning is fated to be.

PLAYERS: 1-4.
PLOT HOOKS: Abductions! Cult or cult-like behavior to eradicate! Vampires! You really just like harvest festivals, or maybe waiting for a ship! Endless, truly.
SIDENOTE: I imagined something with a slower pace, at least initially, before coming to any particular climax. The former half of the story would generally be focused on the objectives of any individual writers and their personal plot beats, notwithstanding the overall affairs of the town and how the latter will probably very quickly affect the former. It's ultimately all up for discussion, come and breathe your own life into this Call of Cthulhu tm clone.

In the desert's ire

… an ire which was provided freely, even generously out in the sands of those who wished to cross it, and concealed somewhere between Cortos and the endless stretches of Amol-Kalit was a city of decadence and lost faces.

Many in the western deserts have found succor here; be they slaves or slavers, the epicureans and the unbending stoics, criminals or mistaken revolutionaries. They all come at their own time, but come they do, for its lawlessness is only rivalled by the local satrap's balancing act of maintaining power while permitting the anarchistic sanctuary to remain unaltered by all outside forces.

That is neither here nor now, however, for one must first cross the sands or pontoon down the Baal-Ashaar rivers and their tributaries. Not an easy task for many, but still more attempt these crossings every season. Hoping they find what they seek there. Hoping the pirates or the myriad of inner desert tribes do not make easy victims of them; destined to be robbed, killed, or enslaved.

At least in irons would you look upon the walls you sought, if it is any consolation.

Nonetheless, the mules bellow and the wheels of wagons screech hideously without the comfort of care or ministrations of axle grease. These are the sounds of the next caravan: almost three hundred strong and many who are willing to reach this city no matter its cost. Most of these pilgrims pay good coin to travel in the comfort and safety of a group, others simply tack themselves onto the hindquarters of this massive endeavor and presume that nobody will care enough to drive them off.

Beyond this immediate scene stretches what many would correctly assume from first glance: an endless, meandering walk without much in the way of comfort.

They wouldn't at all be wrong--though some will still take these odds, even if for no other reason than to say that they did.

PLAYERS: 1-6.
PLOT HOOKS: Pretty much any reason you can conjure, actually. From the vilest criminal to the noblest escaped slave, you're all terribly welcome.
SIDENOTE: Much as before, it's slice of life occasionally interspaced with survival of natural and manmade hazards. Some writers are more than welcome to help assist in the role of "overseer" in an attempt to look after the caravan as a whole, seeing to their needs and wants. The rest can rest assured that there will be plenty of action and all that good stuff.

***​

Home's not far from the heart

The tribes of the Ixchel Wilds play to a particularly nasty, if not terribly unfamiliar dance. Thanes and Chieftains invite one another over for mead and assurances of love and familial affections, then they spill blood the next day for nothing more than land, slaves, a silly kind of pride. It seems to have always been like this, so much so that this dance is all that some know.

Another conquered clan, their oppidums destroyed and people sold into servitude by the boat-faring bidders of slavers and slave states, always near, and always ready to pounce in times like these.

It does not end this time with a single tribe, though, no matter how the others would have liked to believe it for merely another border dispute. Things have changed; everything, truly. For there is now a method behind the atrocities, and a rising nation that intends to crown a unified king no matter the price to be paid by its people and those not desirable to the monocultural designs of the ascending clan. Those that did not flee or beg fealty when faced with this new and violent way of waging war like nobody had before were destined to be trampled, and those tribes that did not swear fealty soon found their lands under invasion by those that had.

A new change is in the air--both literally and figuratively, for it was soon to be winter and the crops lay trampled and the people scattered. What this change signifies, all shudder to guess.

PLAYERS: 1-2.
PLOT HOOKS: Depending on whether your character is a native to the land or they're simply passing through, there will be several opportunities for them to express some degree of displeasure at how matters have evolved. Furthermore, those displaced will require assistance to survive the winter and the tribulations by the Enemy. If heart-strings are not pulled by this, then what can?
SIDENOTE: A bit of a more focused and atmospheric thread, really. Try to message me personally if you're curious and we'll try to make it interesting enough for all parties involved to see things through to the end.

'Adventures'​

• Burglars and bungling: If anyone is up for any urban-based roleplay situated around crime or the generally more seedy day-to-day of a medieval city, then do let me know. I have some things in mind if you're interested in employment--whether it be voluntary or through blackmail, so everyone is welcome whether or not they're actually a criminal. I also certainly have no qualms with anyone who thinks up their own reason for getting drawn into this admittedly poor life choice.

• Rats, rous, reptiles: Anything to do with the underrealms and consequently any of the races that are generally found in these warrens of depravity, I'm all for it. Also especially interested in anyone willing to create characters or any tidbits of lore to spice things up just a little bit down there--so do remember to hmu hmu hmu ;)))

• Nobility and networking: As you might have guessed, this is a catch-all for players with nobility or the various other stages of lordliness for some much needed networking and threading. I have a character in mind that I imagine is up for the challenge, and all the thread details can be sorted out depending on your character, really.

• Sea shanties and shipwrecks: Anyone interested in the high seas, naval conflict, and a little bit of stranding is encouraged to message me. I have an idea still germinating for a decently sized thread that might result in the aforementioned stranding, along with a subsequent plot to finish before escape to the mainland is made possible. Depending on interest it might actually be more than one thread.

• Roads, paths, highways and pathing stones: As the leading expert and patron saint of side-characters, let me know if you're at all interested in random encounters including, but not limited to: nefarious banditry, sellswording, or long walks on the beach. I'm more than happy to discuss it and see what we can come up with. This is more of a general call-out for anything fantasy under the sun if it requires any one-offs or some really specific characters to be involved.

Last edited:
These sound like loads of fun! There's quite a few of these ideas that I'd be interested in!

I'm sure I can come up with reasons for one of my characters to be travelling in Aleswiht. I do have an escaped slave character who could be part of the little Oregon Trail Desert Ire journey. Pretty much all of my characters are involved in crime in some way, so any of them could fit into Burglars and Bungling, and a few could probably fit into Nobility and Networking or Sea shanties and Shipwrecks too. :)

Last edited:
  • Sip
Reactions: Feryke
I have a couple characters who haven't been on a quest/adventure in a good while. I'm sure I could find a reason for one or two of them to take part in one of these plots!

• Cheer
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Feryke and Urchin
Thanks for all the interest everyone has expressed. I'll be sure to keep everyone in mind and update all of you on any threads coming up, depending on what you were going for.

And as soon as I have some free time I'll try dropping a few messages @ you guys and gals to figure out some of the more specific details for any individual threads.

Last edited:
I happen to finally have a few days off next week, which means that I'll be able to get at least a couple threads started and underway(TM). The first one is likely to be 'Desert's ire' or 'What ails Aleswiht' and I'll probably establish them as a bit of a DM styled campaign where it isn't necessary for players to constantly be lumped together into one party.

The latter thread has a bit of a specific atmosphere that might not be entirely convenient for some characters to partake in, so I'll ask that you privately message me if you are interested in Aleswiht just so we can sort any important details out beforehand. If you don't mind playing as the bad guys for once, then the thread might be for you!

The desert's ire is shaping up to be a lot more player friendly in comparison, so if you want a bit of an Oregon trail styled thread meant for passive inter-writer/NPC roleplay (occasionally interspaced with some conflict here and there) then this one is for you.

• Cheer
Reactions: Urchin