Private Tales Literacy.

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Coyote Kilduff

Saddle Tramp
Character Biography
Link
He'd been riding in the direction of the forest for about a half an hour before he noticed the line of a wall, and the outline of a building. It wasn't all around atypical to see lodging in the woods, having seen his fair share of hunting cabins. However this one wasn't made of hewn logs. Tucked into the edge of the woods, built from stone, it looks like it's seen better days, with twisted, leaning walls, and could very well be abandoned.

"That's... A lil' strange."

As he begins to draw near, he dismounts and leads his horse the rest of the way, carefully studying the house, noticing the candles here and there. He tucks his right hand beneath the edge of his coat, just in case.

"Who'd even live in somethin' like that?"

• Smug
Reactions: Asuego 'Susanna'
»I KNOW YOU ARE HERE, GET IN GET IN BEFORE THE MISTRESS COMES.« Donned out a voice shrill and loud.

As soon as his voice stopped, the door flung itself open wide. Entry into the small yet cluttered home was free of charge.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Coyote Kilduff
The voice spooks both of them, causing the horse to bellow and attempt to back away. The man however keeps a firm hold of the reins and quickly pulls something long and shiny from beneath his coat, pointing it in the direction of the cottage.

"Now, I don't jus' go into any house without knowin' my host first!" His voice is rough and mid-toned, and carries a hint of accent.

The man halts where he is, a handful of feet away from the door, horse by his side, eyes scanning.

• Cthuloo
» WHO CARES ABOUT HER, I OWN THIS PLACE NOW, SHE'S SUCH A DRAG SHE'LL RUIN THE FUN «, bellowed the voice in a jovial manner.
On closer inspection, it did not sound human, neither was there an apparent living thing present in the house itself.
Was it the house or anything else that caused this ruckus?

• Dab
The man hesitates for a moment longer before cautiously moving towards the cottage, coaxing the horse along. A frown dips his brow in the middle and the muscles flex around his stubbly jaw.

"Come on now boy, it'll be fine... Shh..."

As he draws up to the front of the building, he ties the horse off on a post, and eases towards the open door, grip firm on the mysterious object. His boots thump softly on the stone.

"Ya care to tell me who exactly you are, 'fore I walk in? Or ask who I am? Most folk ain't too crazy on lettin' a stranger in their... House, without a little introduction first."

Last edited:
  • Devil
» I AM THE GRAND AND AMAZING ARDOMMA, THE MOST POWERFUL DEMON FROM NEATH MARQUIS ANDROMEDAS' LEGION OF SPIRITS, « his voice was overly pompous, but the moment one peered inside, it was clear the voice came from no person, but from the stove.

• Smug
The man's grip on the object slackens in shock, and it rotates on his finger to point at the floor. The contents of the glass container mounted in it glow faintly with magic. Of all the things he's seen... He scratches at his jawline, eyes wide.

"... Uh, pleasure?"

He looks around at the rest of the cottage, avoiding contact with any of the other furnishings lest they yell at him, as he sheaths the glowing thing. He looks a little dumbstruck.

"Your Mistress is... She's actually... She ain't a stove, right?"

• Dab
The impish flame grinned from behind the stove, it was soon clear enough that it was merely a trapped demon. For all intents and purposes extremely harmless. » WHO CARES ABOUT HER, SHE'S PROBABLY OUT THERE PICKING BIRDS FROM BUSHES IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. TELL ME ABOUT YOU «

• Devil
The man jolts a little when he looks through the mouth of the stove at the flame, and removes his hat to scratch his head.

"Can't say I know what ya mean."

The man hesitates among the chairs, and instead squats down in the middle of the room, facing the little demon, rubbing his palms together. If his mam was right, telling him demons and other creatures can use what they know about you against you...

"Nothin' much to tell, Ardomma. I go wherever I can get a job or food, that's 'bout it. Was passin' across the plain lookin' for greener grasses and saw this."

• Smug
» WOW, WELL ANYWAY. I SUPPOSE YOU COULD MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL AND LET ME OUT. «
The fire sprite lowered his head and the flames didn't seem to escape the furnace as much anymore.
In fact, he took on the form of a tiny flamy human, dancing around in circles before gripping the iron bars as if he were a miniature inmate.
» PLEASE??«

• Cry
The man's unibrow lifts in the middle, and he glances towards the door, looking worried. He rubs his stubble and adjusts the cloth around his neck.

"Don't think that'd be such a good idea, Carrai. I let you out, and I end up with my hind over the fire."

"Carrai." is from a dialectal form of Elvish, it closely translates into the word "Friend," and would be used the same way one would use the word "pal."

• Devil
»It is best to never do as a demon whistles. « Chuckled a mature and finely aged voice from behind.

The fire sprite once hugging the bars quickly hid from view within one corner of the stove.

• Wonder
The man jolts and spins so quickly on his toes from where he's squatting that he falls backwards onto his rear, clutching at the side of his coat, eyes wide and mouth open.

"Sweet Drakon, do ya always sneak up on fellas when their backs are turned? Good way ta get killed!"

The man looks the figure up and down openly before squinting.

"Are you this 'Mistress' I'm hearin' of?"

• Dab
The white witch chuckled, » indeed, this is my home you are standing in. I assume you've already met with Ardomma, who no doubt invited you in.«

• Sip
The man huffs out a half-laugh, rubbing his dusty face with one hand as he stands up slowly, keeping at least one eye on the white witch.

"Invited? D- Near about demanded I come inside, and I didn't feel like 'no' was gonna go well, not without seein' who was yelling at me first."

The man absently rests his hand on top of a stack of books before yanking his hand away quickly, hooking his thumb into a pocket on the front of his jerkin.

"Suppose I should head out now, huh?"

• Popcorn
» Such is the nature of Ardomma, but please, stay if you will. Rarely do I get company that is here without utilitarian needs. « The white witch mused, walking inside her cottage.
» Want some tea perhaps? «

• Cheer
The left side of the man's unibrow lifts in curiosity, and he shrugs.

"If you insist, I suppose I could sit a spell. Sun's up awful high, no use wearin' my horse out in the heat right now."

He points vaguely in the direction of the table as if he's wondering about sitting, and takes off his hat.

"Coyote Kilduff. Everyone jus' calls me Coyote."

• Sip
» I am Susanna Kiamast, your friendly neighbourhood cutter-witch.«
Cutter-witches, everyone needs them yet everyone hates them. A task so morally apprehensive that the girl down-street who urgently begged you to perform the removal of the unwanted...would still burn you at the stake. There ain't no innocence or love in this profession.

She poured water into a kettle and left it on the stove. Ardomma was fast at work. » Preferred flavour? I have about anything including exotics from Narannian Hibiscus to Nightroot. « The witch stepped before a pile of stacked jars filled to the brim with herbs and some less appetising ingredients like baby-newt eyes.

• Cthuloo
Coyote flinches and rubs at his face, taking his time to inhale slowly as he scans aimlessly between the stacks of books, jars of ingredients, and Ardomma in the stove, working away. He squints suspiciously at the table like it might leap up and bite him when the bits and pieces start coming together. His voice betrays his sudden disquiet despite his attempt to be casual.

"Charrbush is, 's fine by me, thank ya miss... H- How d'ya even get that fancy mess out here in the big nowhere?"

He carefully rests his hat on the most innocuous looking surface and pulls a little book and coal stick from his pocket. The stick makes soft scratching noises on the paper as he writes, shoulders hunched and slightly tense, face drawn.

• Cthuulove
The elder witch chuckled, » Worry not, Ardomma is harmless. «
» I AM NOT HARMLESS, I AM THE MIGHTY ARDOMMA! «
Asuego slapped the door on the stove before pouring the boiling water in some tea can before reaching foi a jar with cut up root bits and tossing a fair share of them into the cup.
» That is my private little secret. Milk? «

• Devil
Asuego leaned over to Coyote before lightly kicking a bucket so it clang throughout the room. » The cow's outside at the back of the house. «

• Nervous
Coyote closes his eyes tightly at the clanging and slaps his journal shut. His jaw clenches and disgruntled half-smile comes to his face as he nods and picks up the bucket. He should've expected that.

"Yes ma'am."

He shoves his journal and coal stick back into his pocket and heads out the door, to Yorel's insistent, worried snuffling. Coyote rubs his chin and soothes his nose with a kiss.

"S'all right, Yorel. Come on."

Coyote grabs the reins and leads Yorel towards the rear of the cottage, into better shade, and ties him near some hay and the tough of water. He hops the fence and ushers the cow over near the small shed, and sets about milking her while Yorel drinks his fill. Coyote rubs his mouth on his sleeve as he finishes, and is careful about not spilling as he returns to Susanna.

"Fresh an' warm, ready to dole out. Didn't give me any trouble neither."

• Cthuulove
»Diaphana is a splendid cow, is she not? Leave some aside for the cat. « Hinted the witch as she set down the finished cup of charrbush tea and a herbal infusion for herself.

» Now, tell me, what corner of Arethil do you hail from?«

• Sip
Coyote does as asked, carefully pouring some milk into the bowl he spots on the floor, before adding a bit to his own cup.

"I've met cows bent on murder, so she's sweet as can be."

He finds a place to tuck the rest of the milk, then swirls his tea to mix it before taking a sip.

"Allirian plains, a little bitty town by the river. I suppose you aren't from here either, are ya?"

• Cthuulove