Open Chronicles Linguist in Vel-Anir

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Magnus Altari

Character Biography
Link
Magnus walked cautiously down the stone pathway that lay before him. He was heading to the nearby city of Vel-Anir to find a linguist that could read some rather cryptic runes. The very same runes he found in The Citadel. Magnus didn’t know anyone hardly that was still alive so he went into the town, dressed in his usual tunic and cloak and set about the vast metropolis. Heading to a well-known tavern, the wizard had a feeling of restlessness wash over him as the smell of mead and pig roast filled his nose. Going up to the barkeep a young lady flashed a smile to this old man and offered him a drink.

“Hello dear, would you like a drink perhaps?”

Magnus returned the smile and shook his head
“I am afraid not my lady, I am actually looking for someone. Someone who knows Ancient Tongue.”

The barkeep smiled at his politeness and redirected his question
“I am no lady but I thank you for your politeness. A translator? That’s what you are looking for?”

Altari smiled as he nodded his head with an ounce of eagerness
“Oh yes! A translator. I am willing to pay if there is one available. Would you know where I could find one?”

The smile on the lady’s face turned to a frown as she shook her head
“No, I am afraid not. You would be better off trying to find someone in the Anir Square.”

Laying a few coins on the counter he would wave to the lady
“Thank you for your time m’lady. This is for your trouble.”

The Anir Square was a location in which most people tried to make a living. Smiths, Leatherworkers, Alchemists and the like try to apply their trade to various customers. The question was; would there be someone who could translate a tongue he was not familiar with?

The old man wandered to Anir Square, looking for a potential linguist to aid in a minor discovery. As Magnus paraded in the Square, various individuals were looking at him wondering who he was and what business he had here. Smiths hammered away at steel upon their glorious anvils and alchemists advertised the most grandiose potions to exist this far West. None of them held Magnus’ attention for he was looking for someone or something specific--A linguist or translation book.

His leather boots clopped on the cobblestone roads as he made he way deeper into the square. Storefronts stared at Magnus, hoping to tempt the older man with trinkets and baubles that he did not need. At the end of the square was a small storefront that had no sign but the windows were lined with books.

A bookstore He thought.

Grabbing the bronze door handle, he gave the door a tug before it creaked open. A tiny bell rang as he entered; alerting the shopkeeper that a new customer has arrived in this humble store. A man around his age was managing piles of books at a desk, to which he glanced up at Magnus and smiled through his thick-framed spectacles.

“Welcome stranger! Feel free to take a look around, I hope you find what you are looking for!”
The man seemed kind enough so Magnus prompted a question to the shopkeep.

“I am looking for something specific….I need a translation of some ancient runes. Do you have a book in here that could aid me or know someone who can translate?”

The shopkeep scratched his chin in bewilderment. “Ancient runes you say? Do you know their origin lad?”

Magnus shook his head in shame.
“I do not. No records indicate their origin but they look ancient. Possibly going back to the age of the Dark Ones.”

The shopkeep smiled and waved the mage over to the counter.
“Come closer friend, I am known as Balthazar. Would you mind showing me these...runes?”

Magnus nodded as he reached into his leather satchel and pulled out a piece of parchment that contained charcoal rubbings of the text themselves.

“My…..where did you find this? This is quite an interesting find indeed!”

Magnus did not respond as he did not wish to give away the location of his current home.

“Right….these runes are not Orcish and do not share the same symmetry to match that of Dwarf-speech or Elvish. Yes….these runes are something else entirely.”

The man spinned around in his chair as he retreated to the back of the bookstore. Books could be heard jumping off the shelves and placed back in the same motion.

“I may…..have a book that could help….somewhere..”

Magnus pulled out a leather purse and laid it on the counter.
“I would be happy to purchase anything you have Balthazar”

Balthazar seemed happy to hear this as he pulled a dusty tome off of the shelf and brought it back to the front. The book had been patched over many times and the leather was peeling from decay. Laying the book on the counter carefully, the shopkeep opened the book and starting flicking through the pages.

Magnus nearly leaned over the counter to see what this book contained. His excitement was peaking at this point and he hoped that this book would set him close in discovering this interesting secret in The Citadel.

A small shadow cast over her eyes from the crimson red cowl that the women wore, but even if people could not gaze into the shifting eyes of the individual she could very well see back. Vel-Anir was a decent enough urban area to stalk around, one could always find a lost soul in need of 'help', such even more loyal to the three as they would view them as real salvation and not the 6 most worshiped. Though it would appear as her initial mission had been put on hold due to a small conversation that she had overheard, talk about old text and ancient tongue, certainly worth checking out.

So, for the last few minutes the modestly dressed nun had been stalking the grey breaded man, all the way to one of the towns book stores, a place filled with much knowledge. From outside she could see the person of interest conversing with the store owner, her eyes glued to the cover of the book which he handed, "my my, what an exciting little mystery I have stumbled upon... I wonder what secrets that book could hold".

She did not fully know if it was worth anything, but that man who carried it appeared to be a mage of some sorts and anything magic related was of use to her, the only problem was getting a hold of that knowledge. As of now non of her followers were present, Viktoriya having gone in alone as to not attract attention, so force was out of the question and she doubted taking him in a straight fight was a good idea. "Guess I shall do this via another method".

Placing a hand on the door she opened it, having an oblivious look about herself, like she had not been spying on the elderly man for the past 15 minutes. "Oh, good day to you", she said in a surprised manner, shutting the door behind herself, "I hope I am not interrupting anything".

Magnus Altari

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Magnus Altari
Magnus’ interest was maintained as Balthazar flipped through the pages of the dusty book. Detailed pictures of runes and other alphabetic text lined the pages thoughtfully. The shopkeep seemed to know which page to flip to as his thumbing stopped on a particular section of the book.

“This book was written long ago my friend. Ars Lingua is a book that was not produced many times during this age. I believe the runes you have are in fact Ancient but their origin could have been wiped out many wars ago.”

Magnus raised an eyebrow and peered at the various characters displayed in the book.

“What you have here is Ozkavosh, an old dead language used by the Kavosh peoples. The style of the runes match what many have found over the years.”

Altari moved his head backwards a bit, as if to give the shopkeep some space. He cocked his head in another motion and had many thoughts dancing in his head.
“Ozkavosh? I would have never guessed. I am not familiar with them. This is…..interesting.”

Balthazar nodded at Magnus’ statement as he shut the book and lay it firmly on his side of the counter, waiting for payment to use the book’s knowledge.
“I’ll sell you this knowledge for a price my friend”

Before Magnus could negotiate a price for Ars Lingua, a voice chimed in. Altari was too distracted by this newfound knowledge to even notice a new customer had walked in.

“Hmm? Oh yes….Good day miss.” The mage replied. He wasn’t a social fellow but he was raised to be polite no matter how old he got.

The woman’s polite intervention made him look twice as he nodded his head.
“You’re not interrupting anything.”

Turning back around, Magnus showed a leather purse to Balthazar and held it in front of him and whispered.
“150 gold pieces are in this purse if you will part with that book.”

Balthazar’s eyes grew wide and didn’t say anything for a few moments.
“I guess knowledge is important to you lad, 150 gold pieces it is.” He said as he greedily held his hands out to receive payment.
Balthazar leaned over to the side and spoke to the newcomer who showed an interest in something.

“Please come in my fair lady, every book you see here has a price! Feel free to browse to your hearts content!”

Magnus was still rearranging items in his satchel to make room for this thick book he just bought.
Viktoriya Antonov

It seemed the important parts of their conversation eluded her for the time being, only gathering word of pricing of such new book the man purchased. One that she sort of reorganized as Kavosh related, now that was something of not considering the races mystical powers.

She continued to eye up the exchange between the two while approaching the counter, "my that is certainly a lot of money for a simple book, must be some spell book to be worth all that money". Perhaps she should note down this store and organize some sort of robbery at a later date. Perhaps she could use some of the homeless people around the city as tools to conduct such a raid and offer them 'salvation' in return, yes that would work well.

"Oh, not that I want to pry or anything, though the art of magic and history is certainly a subject that I find intriguing", she replied with a heartfelt smile. "Would thou be able to share what sort of book you have there? or art thou concerned about privacy? if so I do not mind, everyone hath their own business and dealings". Her method was to be somewhat persisting interest, but not forceful, hopefully coursing the man into sharing a little bit about it.

One could liken it to a young child going on about how much he liked the candy you just so happened to carry, but say that you did not have to share it with him. A simple tactic she had seen others use, slowly making them feel a little guilty and ultimately sharing a little bit with them. Though for such a well aged individual well things could go a much different direction.

Magnus Altari

Magnus was about to stow the book away in his worn leather satchel before the newcomer commented on the tome itself. Looking over his shoulder, he gave a brief smile and shook his head.

“This is no spellbook my fair lady, this is a book to help me with my studies into old languages

Although this was a half-truth and half-lie, Magnus wanted to remain polite while retaining his privacy.

“Besides, I have not seen this book in my travels so I wish to buy it for an exceptional price….I am sure you understand”

Upon hearing that this lady was interested in magic and history, it brought a genuine smile to his face and he answered her question further.

“This book contains languages that are no longer spoken and or dying. In my travels I come across old languages but have no means to translate. Instead of hiring a linguist, it would be better for me to buy a book and learn myself…...it’s cheaper” he laughed.

Balthazar cocked his head at the woman as she did not reply to him, but it almost appeared that she knew of Magnus, or found him more intriguing. The shopkeep walked off to give the two some conversational privacy.

Finally making room in his satchel, Magnus stuffed the book and held his satchel by his side. He felt relieved talking to someone intelligent but at the same time some paranoia was sinking in. Did someone else know about the rune-door in The Citadel? It did not matter. The Citadel had been lying in waste for decades.

“You a scholar…..or perhaps a fellow practitioner of magic?” He beamed.

Finding out more information about this person could help relieve his paranoia.
Viktoriya Antonov

Vikoriya gave a silent 'ah ha' upon learning more about the book, actual means furthering interesting her in the mages dealings and potential power.

"Linguists are certainly heavily sought after and afterwards you have means not only to read past works at will but converse with others that may share such tongue,". "I guess it would make sense for you to pay such a high price then, more so if the future benefits are so much more valuable".

A classic 'spend a lot now' to save later ideology which pays off most of the time, if one know what they are getting themselves into. I Basically yes it was something she could agree with, though not often practiced if she had to be honest. Continuing to hear him explain she gave an approving nod, getting a better feel for how this elderly person thought and went about life, certainly with age came wisdom.

"I take it you are some sort of scholar as well as a mage? Well I guess most mages are scholars to some extent, bust from the way you speak it sounds like this form of business is a specialty of yours". "Would I be right in that assumption or have I barked up to... how would you say wrong tree"?

She begun to find conversing with his man to be quite enjoyable, perhaps there could be some mutual friendship, it would be a shame to stab such a nice gentleman in the back over a book after all. Not that is was off the table, one should always leave room for killing in her book, least you get back into a corner, not the most savory way to take care of business, but it get results.

Upon hearing his own query Vikoriya gave a coy smile, "A scholar yes, but more so in the sense that I have lived through past events, not so much reading up about them". Saying such she moved her hair and cowl to the side a bit, showing Magnus a pointed ear, iconic with the elven race. "As for magic, mine is mainly divine, the usual stuff but also through it I have learnt a few elemental spells, mainly to do with fire, though from my outfit you probably guessed such already".

Magnus Altari

• Yay
Reactions: Magnus Altari
Hearing the woman's intelligent remarks made him nod with a brief smile.
"Exactly my point miss. I would rather buy this book and decipher myself than to search the damned wasted to find a decent linguist."

Magnus had been in Vel Anir more times than many and he did not recognize this woman in the slightest. She could be a traveler for all he knows. She may have some stories to tell if she is not a resident of Vel Anir, otherwise she is a very smart individual and he knew this from the tone of her voice and her vocabulary.

"I am both.....yes. I am more mage but yes I do scholarly work when my travels call upon it. You are right in your assumptions. I also do a small bit of alchemy research when I am in newer lands."

It wasn't hard to decipher that Magnus was a mage, as the robes he adorned were too intricate for a smith or a laborer.

"Lived through past events...such a cryptic way of speaking such my lady. Divinating magic? I could guess but I dare not assume when it comes to a lady. I learned that mistake long long ago. Say, I never caught your name miss......?"

Magnus would walk closer to this new acquaintance only to stop within two feet of her personal space. He looked into her eyes as if to decode some cryptic message. It was his way of trying to get a 'feel' for an individual or find out their 'character'.

Viktoriya Antonov

It was nice to talk with someone that knew common sense to many hot shot 'gonna make my fortune' types out in the world. "So true, though don't think you can not make some money out of it yourself, not everyone is a willing as you are to learning a new language".

As they continued to talk she could see the man observing her more closely, 'uh oh this could be interesting' if Mangus had good knowledge of the current god worship about he may start to connect the dots. Not that it mattered much, she had done nothing wrong yet and she doubted the man would want to fight right here in the shop, even if she was 'evil' she wouldn't ruin a place of knowledge like this.

"Oh Alchemy, that is something I have yet to look into, I have heard and seen a great deal of interesting things from the things people can make from it". Perhaps she'd do some of her own shopping while here and attain some knowledge on alchemy, coulnd't hurt to see if there was something on mind control, that could come in handy.

Her interest in the man only increased by his strange manner of talking about divine magic, "and you call me cryptic, you talk about your own past in such a mysterious manner, but I will not ask". "As for my name I am Viktoriya Antonov, just a wandering nun out to preach faith to those that listen.... why do stare at me so, I know I am pretty but it seems like you have something on your mind sir".

She didn't mind the gaze but it did seem a little odd, was this normal for the elderly man? or was he suspicious of her?

Magnus Altari

Hearing her kind words he nodded in agreement and replied “Since I am alive, then I must learn something new.” He meant every single word when he said this.

Learning a new language was all part of finding what lies lower in the Citadel, speaking of which he would need to head back before too long. An interesting mystery lies within his new home and he was as anxious as a child to unlocking potential secrets. Talking with this lady however, was not hurting anything.

Not drawing further conclusions he resumed the conversation as he had before; with vigor and enthusiasm.

“Alchemy is definitely its own art, much like magickal practices. One can learn many things just by picking ingredients in their own backyard. I am not a renowned alchemist but I practice it very little when I am able.”

He finally got to the bit of information he sought after--her name. A name he was not familiar with but this could be a good thing or a bad thing. Being an optimist, Magnus took the woman’s words in good faith.

Magnus laughed at her reply about him being cryptic “Oh it’s just all a bit of fun. I didn’t mean to take you by surprise Lady Antonov. My past is nothing interesting, I assure you.”

When she questioned him about his stare, he was taken aback and apologized for his rash behavior. “My apologies, I do not have anything on my mind. I sometimes have a good judge of character. I did not mean ill will toward you.”

She was pretty but Magnus wouldn’t let that get the best of him. He was here for one thing and that was information, which he gladly got. Meeting Viktoriya however, was it a coincidence or fated? Uneasy at the feeling he distracted himself by listening to her words.
Viktoriya Antonov

Alive to learn, yet something that once again differed from the norm, not the usual 'live for fun or enjoyment' the whole you only have one life. Now this man was devoted to learning, sad he was just a mortal... well appeared to be one in truth she did not know what race the man was, only assuming human.

"Ones own back yard, but what happens if the world is your backyard? I would guess if all the strange wanders that travel around the county had alchemy skills there would be no shortage of potions". She meant it more as a jest but even so on considering it a little more, not a bad idea, perhaps her followers could help out with that.

The bountiful laughter from him seemed to dispel any major fears of him learning about her real goals, "strange way of having fun, I suggest you do not do it to too many women lest get a nice slap in the face... or is that your thing"? As for his past, something to poke into later, when someone usually said 'not interesting' it was often quite the opposite. "So tell me, what is your judge of my character? I am curious to know... come on confess already".

She teased the last part a little, any information she could glean from the man would be useful, even if the man was a nice person to hang around her mind was still set on that original goal. "Well this has been quite the interesting chat, though my I ask were you are going next Mr Altari"?

Magnus Altari

This woman was asking very particular and very well-thought questions. Magnus hasn’t had company like this since….his mentor was alive. He was grateful that intellectuals were still prevalent even in the busiest of cities.

“Well if the world is your backyard then you would be right….no shortage of potions”

Was she a practicing alchemist? Or perhaps she was familiar more so with his line of work.
Once Magnus finished his joke about staring into the eyes of women, he instantly regretted his words as the woman put on an inquisitive manner.

“A man has to joke, else the world is a more dismal place. I do not fancy a slap in the face my dear, I meant no advance”.

Now she was teasing him and this was something that didn’t happen with him often. He was caught off guard and a sliver of paranoia kicked back in, wondering if this woman had ulterior motives. He did his best to mask his feelings but remain polite.

“I cannot judge people directly. I just like to see whom I’m dealing with. Besides, you are still quite the mystery Miss Antonov...I cannot say”.

Clasping the buckles on his satchel he secured the container shut, indicating that the contents were now ready for transport. Miss Antonov prompted the question of what he would be doing next, and with a smile he would reply.

“Interesting indeed Miss Antonov...I have enjoyed the exchange. I do believe I am headed home, my work needs to resume there. Perhaps I shall see you around? If not, then I wish you the best in your travels.”
Viktoriya Antonov

"Ahh but it is but a dream cannot force people to do things they do not like, also I guess it gives shop owners the ability to give people 'quests' and jobs, why go around collecting herbs when you can be paid to go around and collects herbs". Helped keep the economy strong and going, also prevented chemists from having the monopoly on potions since they relied on adventurers to attain their goods.

"Oh not I it fine I do not mind, I have been around long enough to tell an advance from a simple joke, and even if you were trying to put the moves on me, I feel I am far to old for a child like you". She let off a small chuckle helping to indicate a joke of her own, it was rather fun speaking with this man.

"Ture but you are just as strange and secretive as well Mr Altari, I guess we will have to agree on the fact we are both relatively unfamiliar with each other, though that can change if we meet some time again". Or if she stalks him, learns the ins and outs of the man and perhaps ultimately captures him. after all she was not getting any older.

She gave the elderly man a polite bow, returning a warm smile, "certainly I wish you luck on your translation endeavors, perhaps we will meet again, you are quit the interesting person". "May the gods watch over your travels and shield you from any
dangers, would be unfortunate to have you die on me".

Magnus Altari