Letters Letters from Nowhere

Roleplay dedicated to correspondence type roleplays such as letters.

Nina

Character Biography
Link
Please deliver to:
M Eianorna
Has a ranch with winged horses(?)
Alliria outskirts
Alliria

Nina Irving
Nomadic army camp, Tthe Blightlands
(via Elizabeth daughter of Maria, the house with the green fence,
Long Street, World’s End, Eastern Coast, Blightlands)
Paid to and delivered by Captain Hawksmith
Via the Portal Stone at Pirate’s Folly
Accepted by Post Office in Lazular, Amol-Kalit
Via caravan
Via the Portal Stone in Mamsis
Signed for by the Allirian Border Agency
(with the additional note of ‘
Thank you again for taking care of my daughter’s pony. Best wishes, M.M.)
Signed for by the Third Undersecretary for the Courier’s Guild in Alliria

Dear Lady and/or Mr or Ms Eianorna,

I hope this letter finds you well…and also, that it finds you at all. If it does, it’s succeeded on a long and perilous journey. I found your name mentioned in a volume called ‘The basics of runes’, a handwritten manuscript compiled and illustrated by an unnamed priest of Kiva in the temple in World’s End. The manuscript itself appears to be about ten years old, and references even older documents, including the twenty-year-old journal and correspondence of a priest called Zaharia.

Zaharia appears to have corresponded with you regarding the purchase of runic bracelets, an engraved ceremonial goblet, and (metallic protective horseshoe?). It’s sometimes difficult for me to untangle his writing; the typescript is sharp and unusual. Unfortunately, neither Zaharia nor the author of ‘The basics of runes’ or even the letters are around for me to question. I am sorry if To be honest I don’t know whether you are around anymore either – if not, I can only hope that an apprentice of yours finds these lines. I felt I had to write this. What struck me was the quotes attributed to you, in the references to the correspondence on runes that accompanied, and followed, the purchase. The way you described the function of certain runes parallels what I’ve sensed read about guessed been told sensed in them, and the way you’ve weaved them together made intuitive sense in the same way as a piece of music.

I guess you could say that I hope for your insight. There is no one else I can ask right now. that hasn’t tried to kill m

I’ve been finding myself walking a lot on battlefields. Not active ones, fortunately, but the ancient graveyards which are a common sight in the Blightlands. Although much of the magic that I encounter defies naming, quite a bit of what remains is of the runic type. To stay alive Not to be dramatic I would love to learn more about it.

I understand that you may have fees that you normally charge pupils, but I’m afraid that the loot isn’t mine I do not have the means to pay them right now. Nor do I have the ability to reply often, travelling as I am (In fact, I recommend that any potential letters be sent to my friend Elizabeth in World’s End. I’ll try to get them picked up when I can). However, I hope that what I share could be of interest to you, and that in exchange I could have a bit of your wisdom. I’ve enclosed a small sum that I hope would be sufficient for a return letter at least.

My main questions are as follows:

*Are runes eternal, or are they changeable?
It’s only recently that I’ve suffered from started studying magic. However, some of the runes I find in the old battlefields leave me stumped. (I’ve attached a few drawings) For instance, the symbol that I’ve numbered ‘5’ seems commonly used in the artifacts from this area, enough so that I’d have expected it to appear even in a basic treaty about runes. This is not so. From the context I guess it must’ve been a binding agent, something to weave other runes together. The closest matches I find to it in the ‘Basics…’ are Hagalaz and Isaz, if I overlapped them with a bit of imagination. But only Isaz is recommended for binding, while Hagalaz’s main aspect is ‘cold’. How could this be? In contrast, symbols number eight and nine look like they could shape Eihwaz if overlapped, but the way they connect to other symbols appears different. As if it was a different ‘grammar’ at works. Are runes one language…or many? And there are symbols that I don’t know how to even start with…

((The dusty envelope encloses multiple drawings of runes and runic circles in remarkable detail. The paper quality swings from lush cloth-paper to brown wrapping-paper, and most of the pages appear to have been primarily used for landscape sketches and paintings before being repurposed. There are many arrows and crumpled notes curling around the pages, such as ‘worn by time, shape uncertain’, ‘feels like silver, light, lemon’, ‘the texture that a bell sound would have if sounds had texture’. One of the circles has been partially erased))

*What is the advantage of the runic circle?

Apologies if this is too basic a question. I was just wondering, is it a useful concept? I’ve seen runes work outside circles, so obviously they are not essential. In this case, what is their meaning? Could one have, for example, a runic square? What about a runic sphere or a cube?

*Do you have any safety recommendations for runic studies?
Due to the nature of my work, I often encounter artifacts that are not exactly…friendly. They are fragile, they are old, the vast majority of them have been meant for war in the first place. In most cases, the passing of time and the First Rule of Magic have rendered them harmless. However…There are the exceptions. Sometimes it’s the damage sustained that turned them erratic, just like how the stones of an old castle that might fall on trespassers. Other times it’s the interaction with them that triggers something deadly, just like waving a crossbow around might release the bolt. Occasionally, trying to re-empower an artifact or replicate its runes, in order to understand them better, is what causes the trouble (I’ve had to partially erase drawing number 2 because it kept catching on fire). While I’ve tried to keep away from the artifacts that felt most…out of balance, so to speak, I’ve nearly killed myself a couple of a few had some near misses. I’d really appreciate some advice on the matter.

I have to end now, the courier is leaving the camp soon. I hope this will reach you.

Kind regards,

Nina

Travelling Painter

Míriel Fëanorna

Dear Nina

I must confess I was surprised to receive your letter but it did bring a smile to my face to see that Zaharia thought enough of me to keep our correspondences. She was a prickly sort and I found it hard to read what she truly thought of my work. For her to keep anything is high praise indeed so the bracelets I created for her must have been well received. I am afraid to say though that I am no master of runes. It has been a hobby of mine for the past 160 years or so but I do not dedicate my life to such matters. The nature of my own talents mean I truly do not have much need for them apart from when I do not want to expend my own energies in enchanting metals - as was the case with the bracelets.

I shall endeavour to answer your questions as well as I can but please bear this in mind when you read my thoughts on the matters at hand.

As far as my understanding goes runes do differ between languages to an extent. Elvish and Dwarfish runes for example always appear to me quite differently, but this may because the elves are my kin and as such their way of doing things is more natural to me. The best way I can explain it is as if the runes have an accent. Whilst their core may look the same, different people will learn to use them in slightly different styles. For example the ones I enclose here based on the examples you have stated in your letter. It sounds as if you have a Dwarfish example of the runes - they like to shorten them like you might shorten the word cannot to can't. I have copied the same runes out how they might appear written by an elf, but also by a human mage. You see how they all look the same with slight variants?

As such, there will be runes you do not know. There are races who have used runes that have been and gone but left them behind for us to find. It is an interesting choice of career but I understand some young mages make it their life's work to discover such things. Might I suggest if you are interested in the old and arcane to see out the White Raven order of the Templars. Their library contains some of the things most people believe myth and legend. If anyone were to have something on the runes you speak of it would be them.

If your question refers to can runes change once they are written, they can be. But this is hard and it takes a skilled workman to do so. If a master does not want their runes changed or understood you may also see within the runes a Signature. This is a mages mark that will make no sense and it is to stop others from messing with the runes and changing them. It is a long process to create your own Signature which does not disrupt the flow of the original Runes.

Your second question did provide me with some amusement, please accept my apologies.

It is not so much the circle that is the key to the spell, more than it encloses something. It is very difficult to explain in writing. A circle is a bind for the runes or object that lay in the middle of it. I suppose they would indeed work in a square or a cube or sphere. The circle tends to be preferred because it is meant to represent something eternal and never ending - the magic finds it easier to flow in this pattern than say a triangle.

Personally I believe such things are quite old fashioned but there is debate for their merits.

This actually brings me onto your third question - one of my recommendations for dealing with magics you do not know would be to create a rune circle around them to protect yourself and contain the magic to a certain area. It will stop things blowing up around you at least. Of course the greatest advice I can give is not to meddle with that which you do not understand as of yet. If you are truly that new to rune magic these types of runes are probably not the wisest for you to begin your journey on.

I hope my answers have helped a little with your work. I enclose with it a copy of my own journal on runes relating to the bracelets you have discovered and how I created the runes style. As you will note, they contain my own Signature which might be why they look a little odd to you. Hopefully however with these notes you will be able to decipher them enough to see the original runes I used and work out their purpose. I shan't spoil the surprise.

Your friend,

Miriel.

P.S. Please send your letter back with Thorlion. Once he knows your smell he will be a better postman between us no matter where you are. His price is a good apple and he loves a scratch behind the ear.

Enclosed within is a series of neat parchment papers - the journal - which is bound with leather. The ink is fresh so this is clearly a copy but the writing is strong and clear. Throughout the journal are a series of diagrams and explanations clearly marked and labelled to explain how one splits apart a rune to include a Signature.

Dear Miriel,

You may have just saved my life! You, and Thoriel. I have no words to thank you enough. Maybe one day I’ll get to tell you the whole story. For now, I’m just trying to scribble my reply while enjoying some sun on this haystack, so as not to delay Thoriel even longer.

Thoriel is…quite the perspicacious fellow, isn’t he? I’m not sure what he can share with you, so I’ll share what I can, in order to assure you of no ill will. You see, some of the people in World’s End aren’t exactly people. They hide their true form. I think Thoriel noticed at some level; Elizabeth told me he’s been quite skittish. Having a flying horse land into the town made some people skittish, too… (To be honest, until this morning I thought winged horses were a metaphor). Alas, I urge you not to share this further. It’s simply a token of trust.

On the other hand, my dire wolf trying to attack Thoriel was absolutely my fault. I deeply apologize. I have apologized to Thoriel and tried to find nice apples, but I think he is, deservedly, upset. At least, I assume that’s what he means by flicking his tail and pointing his butt at me.

Your notebook is an incredibly generous gift, as generous as your understatements are (dare I say, after 160 years’ worth of hobby, you might know more about runes that I could learn in my entire life), but if my treatment of your messenger upset you, I understand if this is the last letter I get. In any eventuality, I’ll tell the archers in the main camp I inhabit about him. No need to have them panicking and trigger-happy.

Your letter has given me so much to think about. In particular, the concept of a Signature could explain so much. I’ll keep most of my questions for until I have time to study the notebook. However, I would like to ask you one thing – what is the main purpose of a Signature?

You told me what a Signature does. Obviously, its purpose is to obscure, and far from me to resent the puzzle you sent me (In fact, it’s enjoyable. I’ve missed playing games where the stakes don’t involve my life…alas, I digress). However, I am wondering at who this obscurity is meant to protect. Is it primarily meant to protect the craftsman from having their designs stolen? Is it meant to protect the meddlesome fools who, like me, get involved with magic that may bite back? Or is it meant to protect the people around us from unethical, if unskilled, mages who might use magic in ill ways? I’d appreciate your thoughts.

I’m enclosing a curio that I’ve collected on my travels. Thought you might find it interesting. They’re seeds from a plant that I call shadow-dandelion. In its natural habitat, which appears to be magic-enriched stream edges, it resembles ghostly, sketch-like dandelions, and hides in their shadows. The seeds feel faintly magical. I don’t know what they could be useful for. I’ve tried making ink out of them, and it was a fine, rich darker-than-black, but it faded to nothing within minutes when water was added. Perhaps this peculiarity could make it useful?

Once again, many thanks,

Yours grateful,

Nina

P S : Have you ever encountered dire wolves? Wargs, some orcish dialects call them. They’re horse-sized mounts bred and trained by some Blight Orcs for war. Rather violent creatures… I guess… I thought that, since you might’ve encountered more exotic animals, you might know… I guess… I’m looking for advice about mine. And you might say that I should ask local people, but… Beatings, starvation and yelling is pretty much the standard dire wolf training here, and I dare say I think that caused the problem.

Míriel Fëanorna

Sweet Nina,

Your letter brought me great amusement. I would like to start by alleviating any worry you have about my pig headed horse - Thorlion is absolutely fine. He holds grudges greatly but the way to his heart is through some mints, I have enclosed them with this letter for you to try them. Please do be careful when he turns his backside towards you; although I would like to think he would not, he does have a nasty kick on him and it has broken strong ogre bones before. His kind are from the depths of The Spine so he is no stranger to Direwolves, though they are not exactly his favourite for obvious reasons.

Signatures are used for different reasons by different Rune Users so I wouldn't like to speculate on another's thought processes. However, I use mine to stop people such as yourself from meddling in my magic. As you will have probably gathered by the time this reaches you from reading my Notebook I use the Common Runes and then weave my elvish tongue in between as my Signature. I'm from a small tribe in the Wilds so few speak my strain - it makes it harder for people to meddled with it in that case.

I would suppose mages might use them in any of the ways you have listed though!

Thank you for the seeds, I must admit I have not come across them either but I might try planting them on my land here and see what they do - I shall let you know any results I find.

As for the Direwolves, it is horses I am used to training, but I do not think that Direwolves would actually be any different from the way you train a horse or a dog. Hitting an animal is about installing fear, but then people forget that the animal cannot understand fully what it has done wrong to deserve that beating and it learns to fear everything - even doing a job - in case it gets a beating again. The key is communication, form a bond. You need to let your Direwolf know that they can trust you. That is why Thorlion will fly the world for me - he trusts me not to send him somewhere if he is not needed. I trust him to come back. Spend some time with your friend doing something fun and learning about one another. Thorlion and I enjoyed swimming together.

I hope this helps you.

Your friend,

Miriel.

The letter is crisscrossed by lines, as if it’s been folded and unfolded many times. Irregularities in the handwriting suggest that parts of the letter were written at different times.

Dear Miriel,

Sometimes I resent magic. I resent that these letters are my lifeline, that you can set these tests for me from your cozy, presumably safe home, and I’ll be the one to wake up with a knife between her eyes if I don’t pass them (or presumably, even if I do), and I resent myself for resenting the one person who does so much to help me. I don’t even know you, but you’ve been acting like my fairy godmother.

I’m sorry. I know I should be re-writing this letter, but it’s the third page I’d throw away and I haven’t been sleeping well. There’s something I saw that unsettled me.

Splotches of ink mark points where the paper drank up the writer’s hesitation.

I’m not a magician. I haven’t mentioned that before. I was afraid that you won’t take me seriously. I’m not sure what I am, to be honest. I’ve been told that I have an unusually accurate sense for magic, by someone who would sip poison before risking overstatement. I’m only sharing this because it relates to the way I can, and cannot, understand runes.

The paragraph below is painted with colors like like a peacock’s feather, the edges of words curling into waves of paint that splash against the edge of the page.

I can see how things fit together. The flows of energy that spin around the glyphs, curl around the serifs, and weave runes together. The ebbs and the flows. I can see the colors of magic, and it’s a world as rich as anything else. Occasionally, I’m able to guess precisely the way that a runic circle will scorch my face before it does just that because I stepped too close while gawking at it. But I can’t see your notebook. Not in the same way. I can read it and piece things together like a puzzle, safely, from afar, but I lack that visceral understanding. Because the runes had to be safely pinned to paper, and so they are dead. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It brings looking for the Signature within the realm of possibility. The thin crisscrossing lines, the cursive characters with diacritics – I suspect that has something to do with it. It’s quite fascinating how some of the ‘accents’ use to strengthen or weaken runes are sometimes runes in themselves. I try…But it’s not easy. I guess what would most people do in my case, is try to replicate the runes. Individually, then in combinations. Breathe life into them.

But I lack the fire of magic.

My aura is weak. It’s said that personal magic doesn’t matter as much for runecraft, its focus being on materials and complexity. But don’t you think that it matters a bit for beginners? I find myself hitting a bit of a wall – not knowledgeable enough to know the complex things, not affluent enough to use rare materials, but not powerful enough for the simple runes either. Or am I thinking about it the wrong way? I guess you might not have noticed. Even without runes, you said, you have the power to enchant items. I guess you might find it laughable that simply trying to practice the simplest glowing effect (a sōwilō-dagaz triskelion, or sól-dæg as I think it’s called in Elvish) from the handbook, I exhausted myself to the point of falling asleep for a whole day.

I guess I’ve been a bit rambly and not always making sense. I guess that I’m still trying to understand how I can best take advantage of my strengths, while minimizing my weaknesses. If I have any strengths. Someone without magic, learning magic? Ha.

I have my tricks, you know. I redirect power from existing magic circles, or from the earth, if there’s magic lingering inside it. Is this…normal? Once, I’ve nicked a handful of magic from somebody else.

I’m wondering if my abilities are very common outside of my ignorance. Have you met a lot of people like this? No fire, all sense. There’s only one other magic user in the camp, and rumor has it that he can turn cities to cinders. He’s kind of useless when it comes to the detail-oriented stuff though. Which I guess is the main reason he hasn’t yet noticed my startling incompetence.

I wonder if rumor has magnified both of our abilities.

Thank you for replying to me about my dire wolf. His name is Grishka. I…I guess I’ll try to find what he likes, but some days it feels really difficult because he’s scared of mostly everything sometimes and I, at the very least, am scared of him. He’s got teeth that could crack my arm like a candy cane. He allows me to ride him, at least…

The words huddle together, growing smaller as they try to fit on the page.

Thoriel just arrived. Because of him, people are treating me…differently. Better. I’ve shared your mints, and he seems to have warmed up to me. I’ve had one too. It was delicious, and I hadn’t realized how much I was missing the simple things.

The paper is rumpled around the edges, as if it’s been held tight between one’s fingers.

It seems I was on the right track about the Signature. Less so about imagining you as some sort of distant grey eminence. I should really re-write this…

The writing grows even smaller.

I wouldn’t know what to say.

The sky is incredibly clear at night. It has the color of ink glistening just before it dries. All the stars and the moons, felt close enough to touch. I’ve painted them on the back. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nina

Míriel Fëanorna

• Wonder
Reactions: Míriel Fëanorna
Dearest Nina

Are you in trouble? In Danger? Do you need help.

Are you safe

Thorlion will take you where you need to go should you have need to leave your home.

Not everyone is blessed with magic. As an elf it is easier to tap into the forces that govern this world and the greater universe. This natural ease has been a reason for wars between our species and the other for thousands upon thousands of years. You are not alone in not being able to wield it, even if it may feel that way to you right now. From the way you explain yourself you sound human so please correct me if I am wrong on my assumption but each species has its own ways of learning and practising magic so it would be easier for me to help if I were to know.

What you describe sounds like what a lot of people call Leech Magic. It is the ability for a person to take magic from others or objects and use it but not to be able to use and harness a magic of your own. It is a very unusual gift but no it is not as rare as you might think. Amongst humans in particular it is often an ability that people study when they cannot use their own energies to develop spells like other mages would. You shouldn't feel ashamed of it. Think of it as learning magic but with a different set of tools. I have managed to find a book on the subject here in Alliria - I hope it helps you discover your own abilities a bit better. I'm afraid I do not know much more about it.

To help you understand Signatures a bit better I have enclosed with this bracelets similar to the ones you are reading about and those in my books - you might be able to figure out what I mean a bit easier. These bracelets prevent shielding from darker magics so they might also help you not get singed so much on your exploration of the arcane.

Your direwolf sounds like he has had a very abusive rider. I stress again what I said in my last letter - try and gain his trust. Another way I find with mistreated horses is brushing and grooming them so that they can learn that not all touch is a horrid thing for them to flinch from. Ensure he eats good meals and has a place to sleep that he feels is his and that is safe and warm. If someone else goes to hit him you must stop them too - he needs to learn that you are his protector.

Thorlion is easy to win over with treats, I've enclosed some sweets he likes this time, I hope you enjoy one too.

The picture you have enclosed is very beautiful and more than enough payment for the bracelets.

Your friend,

Miriel

• Bless
Reactions: Nina
Dear Miriel, friend,

I…I’m sorry if I delayed Thoriel a tad more this time. Your letter gave me much to think about.

To escape…Do you know? I used to fall asleep planning my escapes. That was back when I’d fall asleep with my whole body hurting because of the long marches. Which is not to say I walked a lot, mind you – one of the infantry orcs would carry me when I couldn’t walk anymore. That was before Grishka. I…I swear I’m not saying this to worry you or to get more things out of you. I guess it’s just pouring out of me now and the reason I’m not crumpling this paper…I don’t know. Maybe I will. Maybe I’ll get to tell you all this in person.

I keep walking to and from Thoriel, under the guise of bringing him snacks. I want to leave. I can, now. Yet I hesitate. You must think me foolish.

I’m not a prisoner. I can move around, and I have more freedom than many of the soldiers (or indeed, many of the generals). I know the above sounds bad, it’s just… The way that the army requisitioned me, I was afraid to ask whether I can leave for good for fear of being told no.

And yet…I hesitate.

Because I saved people’s lives, because people who would have died or lost everything are alive through my deal with the devil (metaphorically speaking, but the devil is always in the details).

My thoughts are tangled and I shouldn’t be burdening you with this, but it all ties together. What I said above, what I told you about Griska, the reasons that bind me to this place. The Blightlands are cruel lands, and- Miriel, have you ever thought of abuse as a cycle? I guess I was just thinking of how so many of Grishka’s issues stem not necessarily from intentional acts of sadism, but from the way the Blight Orcs here tried to turn him into a war machine. Being smaller and weaker than his brethren, he simply had a particularly worse time of it. And it’s easy for me to resent those people, but gradually I realized that this is something that the Blight Orcs are doing to themselves, too. Cruelty is considered a perfectly acceptable way to craft the perfect soldier, as long as doesn’t kill too many recruits. Power is considered a perfectly acceptable excuse to exercise power. And this sickness runs all the way to the top, because the half-giants, the ruling warrior-caste of Molthal, the ones with the actual power to change things, perpetuate this and, from the stories I’ve heard, the way they are treated by their father would make being raised by wolves far preferable.

(but I’m being unfair to wolves; most of them are doting parents)

And it’s all wrong, isn’t it? I guess I’m asking because even when I try to talk about it here, it feels like talking to walls.

It feels laughable that anything I could do matters in the face of it, and yet some days I feel like I can’t just leave without trying to help at least a little bit.

But I’m just a simple human (yes, a human, you were right).

I’m not sure how to phrase this without sounding racist, and perhaps I am, and I’m sorry for it, but I wouldn’t have expected an elf to have such a warm demeanor as you do. To be fair, I haven’t met many elves. I guess I just imagined that when you live as long as your kind do, most worries of shorter-lived people might seem somewhat superficial, in a similar way to how when I was very young I might cry over a spilled dessert because for me it was the worst thing ever. I guess I’m asking this because sometimes I get tired of feeling things, myself. How do you go on being able to care for people, through decades and centuries, when you know they’ll pass on anyway?

I guess it’s the small moments that make my presence here worthwhile. I was able to build some trust with Grishka, and by chance did some of the things you just suggested. We spent some time in the wilderness, alone (I was scared to sleep near him, so I slept up a tree), and we hunted deer together and ate to out hearts’ content. Afterwards he was relaxed enough that he let me run my fingers through his fur. I found some knotted, matted patches on the back of his neck. Looked painful. I’m still struggling to de-tangle some of them. I was later told that dire wolves bred for war sometimes get them, something about how the hairs on their napes grow and shed faster because that is a common area for the rider to hold on to. I didn’t do that as much, ironically, because he tensed when I did. Still kicking myself for not noticing the issue earlier. But it seems removing the knots has done him good.

My rune studies are progressing well. I’m not going to the battlegrounds as often – lots of reading to be done! -, but when I do, I tend to find more interesting things. I found this small clay tile I enclosed. There are runes inscribed on it and I’m not sure if you see it, but there’s tiny runes inscribed on the inside too, as if the piece was made in layers – I counted seven – that were spread out, inscribed and let out to dry before the next layer was put on. I enclose some drawings. Many of the runes are fragments, but the weave seems really complex, as there’s interactions not only within layers but between layers as well. My guess is that it might’ve been part of some sort of armor. I thought you’d find it quite interesting.

It got me thinking. Just how much does physical support matter for runes? I know that it matters, because that’s what the books say, but I wanted to see it for myself, so I set up with a bit of borrowed magic and bits and pieces from the camp (shards of different metals, wood splinters, bread…) and experimented. It was strangely…fun.

I’d forgotten that magic can be fun.

I also discovered how to make bread explode.

I could never do enough to repay you for all the books you’re sending me, and now the bracelets, too…I’m starting to think that I’d be ashamed not to keep myself alive after all you’re doing to help with that! But I’ll humor you, if you wish, and keep sending paintings. Not today, though – been having a bit of a shivering fit after exhausting myself with magic. I hope you can understand my writing.

All in all, yours grateful,

Nina

Míriel Fëanorna

Dearest Nina

I have quite enough horses on my hands at the moment as it is foaling season here in Alliria - Thorlion being away is perhaps a good thing for the mares are eager to remind themselves of the fun of not being pregnant and though he is a beautiful beast it is not his children I wish to end up selling down here.

The Blightlands are a strange place and its inhabitants even stranger. I cannot say I blame them - I hail originally from the Ixchel Wilds only a little further south than the Blightlands but still over to the East and it is a different world over there. There are monsters and people - not necessarily different, I should add - that plague the lands. It breeds harsh people. The way of the sword is a harsh one but it sounds like you are beginning to understand why we do it. I say we as I myself am a member of my peoples cavalry units. I was raised in the Warrior House and spent 100 years of my life there before stepping outside into the world. As long as you feel like you are doing something worthwhile then I would agree that staying is perhaps the best option for you.

I would love to tell you that my Kin are not like that but they are. Elves are incredibly arrogant and at times it does feel as though you are living in repeat of the same day as humans lives flash by so quickly. However, not many elves live outside of their own kind. I think that is what has made me more patient and tolerant - I can assure you I was not two centuries ago either. But living amongst other cultures has widened my eyes - it is the reason I go for such long trips and live in other areas for periods of time. It makes you more patient. It makes you more understanding of others and caring comes with that. I have seen some humans live more chaos than elves do for five centuries; it puts things into perspective. We should not belittle people just because they do not spend as long on this earth.

I am glad to hear your Direwolf and you are beginning to bond - it is a good sign that he even let you detangle some of the fur. Keep at it - sometimes I find the soaps that I use in my own hair works well enough for the horses, perhaps it will for your Direwolf too to help with the knots.

Thank you so much for this sample - I believe you are right! I have read many stories of armour like this being used by dwarfs - I've included a picture. See how it overlaps? I've never had the pleasure of seeing one myself but I will go talk to the Dwarfs at my local in the near future and see if they agree with my thoughts. If anyone can tell us it will be them. It does matter and it doesn't - there are ways to get around it sometimes with a little persuading but it is a fine line and takes many years of practise. All I can suggest is practising and to wear your helmet..!

I look forward to the next painting.

Yours,

Miriel

Dear Miriel,

Have you ever heard of ‘going through the wall’? In my grandparents’ tongue, it means the moment during a ritual run when exhaustion breaks you, when stars melt in your eyes and the ground bites your ankles and the air is fire, but then something shifts inside you and your body keeps running and your mind is light and it feels as if you could go on forever. I’ve managed it once before.

It now feels as if I broke through a wall of sorts.

Everything feels brighter, and I can’t stop smiling as I imagine you being swarmed by tiny horses. I’m glad to know that you’re doing well. By the time this letter arrives, I wonder, will they be running around on their little stilt-like legs? I guess I’ve always been nervous around young animals – they feel so fragile. But it’s nice to imagine.

Animals begetting their young are a familiar thing. Even plants making more plants. But, Miriel, recently I’ve encountered something so strange that my mind creaks when trying to wrap around it. Have you ever wondered if…stories could be alive too? If they could replicate? Or…perhaps…is it the capacity for replication and change that makes things alive?

I’ve talked to a ghost. So much time had passed since the times they were like you and me, that we shared no common language. So we talked in runes. We talked in paintings. I think they were a shaman from some of the first orc tribes that fought Menalus. Were, or are? Because their story never ended. That person, along with their spear-staff and their blacksmith and their tent and their flag that looks a bit like a wolf and a bit like a weather-cone, and their army, they’re still there on the battlefield, in a story that loops upon itself. I accidentally walked into it.

It was eerie. As if their feelings, along with the grand magic unleashed during the war, along with the magic that sprouted from the ground afterwards along with the weeds that grew among the corpses, was enough to keep their minds alive, or at least facsimiles good enough to fool the eye. Illusions, but not quite. I am not completely sure that the ghost was living, but the wider story…Miriel, I think it responded to me.

You spoke of monsters, and people, and how sometimes they are the same. I’m not even sure when some things are alive or not. Things or monsters, monsters or people…? What determines the answer? Is it the subject, or the observer?

Perhaps I was just hallucinating, though. I sure sound crazy. Perhaps the story is not any older than yesterday, and borne into my mind. But I’ve noted down a few of the more unusual runes that the orc shaman used. Do they look old to you?

…That place lost in time. I’ve never known such things could exist.

I feel uncertain because I know I’m a fraud, you know I’m a fraud, that I’m a painter and not some grand magician, and therefore the fact that I’m witnessing such wonders doesn’t feel right. But I guess common sense is a rare quality, and magic theorists who could better understand and appreciate what I’m seeing have it, and thus are either taking care of horses right now, or are cuddled in blankets with mugs of tea among towers of books somewhere in Elbion. Not here.

Speaking of Elbion. My employer said that we’ll be heading there soon. That sounds crazy so I’ll just assume I misheard it. I try not to ask too many questions. Still. If it happens, however, please warn Thoriel. We’ll take a ship. I can’t imagine the ship will go too far from the shore, but the squalls of the Blighted Sea can be treacherous.

And if we do make it there – is there anything you would like me to get for you?

I’ve worked on a drawing of Thoriel. I apologize for it being slightly shabby and torn, my model tried to lick it when I presented it to him… And there are a few paintings of the flowers that live in the Blightlands. The yellow ones look like sun droplets, don’t they? The ones with wavy leaves, the roots are very good for making soap. I like it more than the caustic yellow sort that’s used in the camp.

I’m returning the book on Leech Magic. I am very grateful. Although not everything that it contained fit my experiences, it helped me feel less alone. The chapter which connects it to Empathy, though, is unsettling. Especially the part that discusses practitioners who use death and pain as substrates. I know exactly the person that the writer references.

Yours hopeful,

Nina

Míriel Fëanorna

Dearest Nina,

I am not as good an artist as you but the foals bring me much happiness too and I have found myself of late just waiting them run and wanting to sketch them in their merriment. I've enclosed a picture of them playing with Thorlion as he waits for me to finish my reply.

We have a similar phrase in elfish I think. It is something warriors talk about on the field of battle, when you reach a point of exhaustion and believe you cannot go on but then you Break the Wall as it translates from my tongue, and you have an extra reserve of energy. We are actually trained to break the wall for ourselves in the Warrior House to speed up this process.

I confess I am not quite sure what you mean by stories - do you mean when they evolve? I suppose they do beget children of their own in that regards as people create spin-offs or they evolve with each person who tells it who adds another layer?

The dead give me the creeps, you are brave than I for talking to one of them. They operate on a whole other plane of existence and the rules are different. Just been careful if you seek them out again; ghosts are stuck here for a reason and sometimes that reason is to cause another harm. The runes are elvish so I guess you could say they are old for we are. It translates you The Dead will Guard It. Ominous! Speaking of runes and markings, the dwarfs came back to me about the piece of armour you found and they confirmed it was as we suspected. They helpfully drew me a sketch at the cost of half my liquor cabinet and pantry(!) but I think it is worth it. It looks like an earth mage might even be able to wield some of the scales as weapons.

When it comes to determining a monster it is a long ethical debate. I've enclosed a book of one of my favourite Authors; Liethroman Aelor. He talks about the Soul in 'people' and 'monsters' and how they are determined. It might not interest you but it always makes me think when I read it about how I come to such judgements myself about anything I meet.

Elbion is a lovely city; I've been there many a time over the years. There is nothing I need from there but if you do get my letter when you arrive and before you leave I do really recommend trying out a little bookshop on Emroy Street - there is always something curious in there to read on old magics that I like to pick up when in town. I once found a book on how the soft tissue in a dragons egg can be made into an interesting paste that cures a strain of fever.

Blessings,

Miriel.

Thank you for the portrait of Thorlion, it is beautiful. I have hung it up in my forge.