Private Tales Learning Wisdom

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

MylesWidogast

Seeking knowledge is always a constant journey.
Character Biography
Link
Myles shuffled down the steps into a narrow marketplace located within the Outer City of Alliria. Aryn's Bookstore was a place he frequented very often to kill time in the day. Although Aryn's Bookstore was located in the Outer City, the wealth of books and learning material there was most interesting to him.

Opening the door to the shop an audible bell would ring, informing the business owner that a customer had stepped in the store. Wheeling from behind a tall bookshelf was a little, old man wearing plain breeches and a maroon overshirt.

"Ah! Myles my boy....been a good few days since you stopped in last. Did you enjoy that book on Ancient Civilizations?"

"Why yes Aryn, it was a fantastic read. Sorry it has been a while. I have been working with my father on drafting some updated maps. Any new arrivals?" Myles poised.

The old man, known as Aryn had stopped a moment and cradled his chin with his fingers and reflected on his inventory "Sorry lad, not today. I only get a handful of people in here, no doubt because I am in the Outer City and not the Inner. Did you ever find a teacher or mentor to help you hone magic?"

Myles gave a brief frown at what Aryn just said. "No, I am still searching. I thought maybe I could find another book in here that might give me some new insight"

Aryn came around from behind the counter and stood next to Myles, notably shorter than Myles but he looked at Widogast with such a gaze that it almost brought Myles down to his level.

"You can learn alot from books son, but the knowledge you seek must be learned...out there. You can come in here and read all you want about the Arcane arts but to really master it, you have to practice it and go out there to learn. The natural world is a better teacher than parchment can ever be sometimes."

On that token, Myles nodded and seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. He put his hand on Aryn's shoulder and gave the man an affirmative pat.

"Thank you Aryn. You have been a great friend to me. I do need to find my way....out there. I just worry about my parents and I worry that I will never find what I am looking for."

Aryn frowned and said in a bolder tone "Don't worry about your parents, Alliria is safe and they will be fine and you will NEVER find what you are looking for if you stay around Alliria. You may have to travel to even find a mentor now. I know where your heart is and you should set out and find the answers to all the questions you have son."

Nodding in agreement, Myles turned around and headed out of the shop. He was determined to leave Alliria more than ever now. The young scholar would head home and inform his parents before leaving this realm of safety.

Myles trekked home to his mother and father who knew that he spent most of his time at Aryn's. Sybil was making some pies for customers while his father was reviewing some maps at his drafting table.

"Aryn's again son? You spend a lot of time there lad. Would you mind handing me that blank parchment when you get a chance?"

Myles' father was a no-nonsense fellow but he did enjoy his son's company. They were both intelligent men and would get lost in each other's conversations. Obeying his father's request, Myles brought a few rolls of parchment over to the drafting table.

"You know I enjoy learning...and a bookstore makes me feel like knowledge is at my fingertips. I just wish to learn more than what Alliria can provide"

Marek Widogast looked at his son with a smile, acknowledging his statement. "You know son, you don't have to stay around here. You are getting older and I want you to accomplish your dreams. I did and I am happy I did. The Gods blessed me with a loving family and a brilliant son. It's time you follow your own path. You know you will always have a home here"

Myles leaned over and hugged his father tightly. "You know that I will do you proud father. I WILL become a gifted mage. Who knows, maybe I will end up at the College of Elbion. Wouldn't that be something?"

Myles' mother; overhearing the conversation came over and started weeping over her son's imminent departure. "Oh Myles.....I shall miss you so. Who will help me tend to my baking and go shopping for supplies? Oh....none of that matters. We just want you to be happy dear. You have always been a hard worker and I know that you will turn in to something someday."

Hearing this, Myles went to his room and gathered some items. He grabbed his leather rucksack and stuffed it with a few books that he would need on his travels. In addition he grabbed his walking stick that he carved himself when exploring the woods along with his iron dagger and belt pouches for storing herbs and other trinkets.

The young scholar went back to the den and found his father with his hands outstretched, holding a map for him. "Take this son. This map is a reference map I used in my travels. There are some areas marked on there that I think you could explore on your journey. Also, here's some coin to get you started. It's not much but enough to hire a carriage if need be to get to wherever you wish. We love you son"

"Don't forget some food honey! Here is a loaf of honey-glazed bread, fresh from the oven! Take some salted meat too, get your protein and it will last you a long while!"

His mother held out the bread load which was wrapped in a thick paper to preserve it as well as the meat which was wrapped in the same material.

"I will write to you once I get to my destination.....I love you both and I will return to you...I will be a changed man."

Myles stepped out of the cottage and walked on the cobblestone roads with a passion and determination burning through him. He would head back to Aryn's one final time to say his goodbyes.

Before going to Aryn's Bookstore, Myles would go to the Alliria Academy and give his regards to his Arcane History instructor. Archibald Kilgore had been the senior Arcane History instructor for over 15 years and it was Kilgore that introduced magic to Myles.

Alliria Academy- Scriptorium
proxy.php

The Scriptorium was a place where Kilgore studied/copied manuscripts. Myles rapt on the door to the
Scriptorium and heard an older man gruff about "Yes....Enter please...now how may I....Ah! Mr. Widogast, to what pleasure do I owe the visit?" The man said politely.

Myles went to shake Archibald's hand before he went back to studying his manuscript on Ancient Languages and Mages
"Mr. Kilgore....I am leaving Alliria. I need to experience magic outside the city walls. I have learned all I can here and I need to perfect this....art."

Kilgore looked at Myles beyond his framed spectacles and held his index finger in the air "I knew you would leave soon Myles. You were always the inquisitive fellow. You learned so much here and ended up knowing more about Arcane History than most teachers could hope for their pupils. Magic....takes nearly a lifetime to perfect and even if you do perfect it, there will always be something out there that you did not know previously."

"Seeking knowledge can be a dangerous trip too. Forbidden magicks can drive one mad. I know you are a level-headed scholar and I know that you will learn much more out there, than you ever will in my class. So I guess this is goodbye then?"

Myles shook his head and replied.
"More like a 'see you later' deal. I'll write you on the discoveries I find. I may journey to the College of Elbion but I am rather too old to attend. I may see if I can find a mentor to travel with and learn under".

Archibald nodded once more and offered one last piece of advice before wishing Myles good luck.

"Do well for yourself lad. Seeking knowledge is always a constant journey. There are several libraries out there and there are forbidden text laying untouched. Use your better judgement and I do hope to hear from you soon lad. I wish you the best of luck. "

Myles thanked his former teacher for his time and he left the Academy to continue his lifelong journey of a Mage and accomplished Scholar.