Private Tales Karakorum

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zael Castomir

Slayer of Ganfarred
Character Biography
Link
THE ARENA OF KARAKORUM

Every four years, warriors gathered.

From across the world they came to the Taagi Baara Steppe. The Steppe Portal Stone flooded with activity, and instead of heading northwest to Dornoch as most travelers did, these warriors all went northeast, deeper into the untamed Steppe, to a grand and ancient construction in the middle of the vast steppeland. No one knows precisely how the tradition first began, or when it first began, but to this day it has endured. To this day fighters from nations across Arethil descended upon this colosseum, putting aside in an unspoken truce whatever hostilities and grievances their homelands may have had with one another.

Here, at Karakorum, allegiances meant nothing. All that mattered was the spirit of the warrior, embodied by all who came to fight and witnessed by all who came to spectate.

The first eclipse of Lessat on every fourth year was the herald of this tournament's commencement.

And when the sun emerged from behind Lessat's form, so would it begin.

The Warrior's Call.

* * * * *​

Zael Castomir was here on a mission.

Not for the official mission, no. A Kendrick Urahil made a stupid bet with somebody, lost, lost again, kept losing and getting in deeper, and finally lost a Urahil family heirloom when he was buck-fucking-naked. That somebody was a smug ass Avariel named Darius, and Darius was here at Karakorum. Normally, the mission would be simple: kill Darius and take back the heirloom. Easy.

But.

Kendrick Urahil was a Urahil Zael could actually get behind. This fucking mad lad, upon hearing about the Warrior's Call tournament, decided, you know what...why not have some Initiates from the Academy win his dumb locket back? A missive was sent to Darius, and that smug son of a bitch agreed. Whoever won in the threes category of the Call would have the locket.

The best part topping this all off? No Anirian had ever won a Warrior's Call. Ever. Not in the one on one category, not in the two's, not in the three's nor four's nor five versus fives either. And it wasn't for a lack of trying, either. However much Vel Anir could console itself with victories on the battlefield instead of victories at this tournament, still it had no one who could rightly claim the title of Champion of the Call.

Zael was looking to change that.

Three days. Three fights. They were even in the three versus three category. His favorite number. Fucking hell, how could he possibly lose?

No. How could they possibly lose?

Because Zael had an Initiate on his right and an Initiate on his left. And they were gonna make history. He could feel it.

* * * * *​

In the dark staging room they waited. Outside beyond the thick stone walls and the gate leading into the arena itself, loud cheers and OOO's and flinching hisses at particularly nasty hits that went unseen to them. The current fight was still in progress, but it would be over soon enough.

Zael had had himself a pretty good lunch (all these vendors and merchants from across the world, hot damn, they brought exotic dishes from every corner of Arethil!) but now it felt like his stomach was empty again. Fuck he loved the anticipation, the jittery shakes when they come, that little sizzle of adrenaline before the big rush. Thrill was a drug all in its own right.

"Hopefully that fucker Darius doesn't lose his first fight," Zael said to his companions. "Be a real shame if we don't have a climatic championship fight."

He smirked.

"I'd rub it in anyway though."

• Cheer
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol
"I don't really give a damn who I've got to rearrange, Zael. Do you have any idea how long I've waited for a good fight?" The initiate to Zael's right, a redhaired, fair-skinned man, looked like a dog about to get a bone. Zael had the real fire, but the flame in Gaage Eberwhit's eyes was enough to melt iron right now. It was no secret that he'd been out of action for a while after a particularly messy malfunction of his abilities that had left him near death on a mission. "All that time in bed feeling like my fucking entrails were leaking out of me, I swear I nearly went mad with all this pent-up energy."

Gaage had always had a reputation for talking with his fists, so when the three of them were offered a chance to complete their mission by cracking a few heads he hadn't needed much convincing.

Everleigh, standing on Zael's other side, was no stick-in-the-mud either. Gaage heard about her little escapades in the Black Bay; anybody who willingly went to a place like that looking for a fight was alright in Gaage's book. He was eager to see her in action, as he'd never been on a job with her before. "Oi, Everleigh. You see the way that wanker Darius is fighting was looking at you? I think he fancies you, maybe you should kick him in the stones if we get to fight him."

Eberwhit didn't really care about the title of Champion, but it would be nice to rub it in the face of the bigwigs in Anir who wanted to keep him from doing anything in the field. Try to keep him in the classroom, why don't you. These poor sacks of shit in the tournament were going to pay the price for how long he'd been held back. "Just to confirm Z, this is a non-lethal tournament? I can't go scrambling any guts?" There was a twinge of disappointment in his voice, but he was willing to accommodate that for now.

Zael Castomir Everleigh Ebersol

“Well you know why you’re being enlisted on this, don’t you?” The proctor asked. Everleigh blinked, wondering if she should reveal how much she actually knew or if she should play dumb. Some proctors liked a mindless initiate, others didn’t. This proctor didn’t like her, a close friend to Proctor Goetsch, they had doled out plenty of punishments in the past. After the revolution, Everleigh had seen much less of this proctor. So how should she proceed? She shook her head, keeping quiet and keeping her mauve gaze respectfully low.

“A lot of the initiates are out on missions right now: Edric, Vance, Elias, Eleanor, Sable, Jaxanall would be more preferable. Initiate Kalix was our third choice. Yesterday he seemed to get quite ill. He’s currently unconscious.” There was a pause, a heavy stare. Everleigh’s face was unflappable, not a single micro-expression out of line. “That being said, it may be in our best interests for you to actually be on the team.” A soft, exasperated sigh followed after the statement. Everleigh could feel that the proctor hardly believed that.

“I will say, if there’s anyone who can figure out a way to win, it would be you, Initiate Ebersol. Of course, if you must cheat…?” Everleigh finally brought her gaze up to the proctor and grinned.

It’s not cheating if I don’t get caught.” She answered. Just like how she cheated her way in to get that third open spot. Sorry, Kalix. Get better soon.

Everleigh hadn’t eaten. Mainly because of the excitement— she did enjoy being a part of a good brawl, after all— but mostly because she always felt she fought better on a empty stomach. Her mind always felt that much clearer if there was a slight gnaw of hunger within her. Currently she was calculating a few things. She had found it strange that no Anirian had ever won. It was strange, wasn’t it?

After all they had dreadlords that could set the entire world ablaze if they so wished it.

Why would I kick someone for having good tastes?” Everleigh asked, a teasing grin coming forth as she leaned back to look past Zael so she could make eye contact with Gaage. Really, why would she even kick him where the sun didn’t shine? If she were to really wanted to watch a man go down, she knew exactly what to do. She’d get ready to swing a round house kick, only it’d be a fake, granting her perfect access to jab her heel hard into where his liver would be with a perfectly executed side kick.

And that’s how you’d handle a man who was staring at you like some freak just because you had purple hair. Everleigh had no doubt in her mind that if she ever garnered any sort of attention it was strictly because of the abnormal hair and eyes. Then again… she hardly stood out from some of those competing here today.

Everleigh straightened up, her fingers twitching slightly. Excitement. Adrenaline. But most importantly? Another chance to show the proctors back home that she was second-level graduate material. Determination blazed in her dull violet irises, and Everleigh swiped her tongue over her bottom lip. She was beginning to drool, a frisson taking place.

Out of the three initiates present it would be hard to say which one was the most bloodthirsty. Although all three had completely different reasons, and unfortunately it seemed the invaluable Urahil family heirloom was hardly a reason.

Zael Castomir Gaage Eberwhit

• Cheer
Reactions: Zael Castomir
Regular Gaage was good enough for a hell of a fight. Pent-up, pissed off Gaage? This is what Zael was talkin about. There were some go-to's if you wanted to have a good spar in the Academy, and Gaage was one of 'em. It was a good thing he wasn't too fussed about that one little Drunken Mess in Vel Yuna, you know, when Delaney had "snogged" Kristen, or he could've smacked up half the town before anyone could do much about it.

And backing them both up was none other than Ever herself. Zael had a hunch that Proctor Palahniuk (had to be him, right?) had given her some shit before sending her out on this mission, but that was because Proctor P and plenty of other proctors were dipshits. Zael knew what Ever was capable of, they'd been on a fair number of missions in this last year—where would he be without his trusted advisor? Heh.

Why would I kick someone for having good tastes?

"Yeah, kick him for havin those dumb wings instead," Zael said. "Extra points if you kick one off em. Remember that ogre? The one who farted so hard he blew that halfling off his feet? I made friends with him at lunch. I bet he'd love a grilled Avariel wing to eat."

Another loud cheer from the other side of the gate. Maybe one of the fighters got knocked out. Getting closer to their time, for sure.

Just to confirm Z...I can't go scrambling any guts?

"How'd they say it? No 'intentional' killin. Yeah, that sounds right." He counted on the fingers of one hand the sparse rules they were all given. "No intentional killin, no endangerin the audience, stay in the arena, you get knocked down on your ass for five seconds you're out."

He smirked.

"Let's not get 'unintentionally' killed."

Everleigh Ebersol Gaage Eberwhit

• Cheer
Rules, blah. Who the hell watched a fight to see it be restricted by snobs who cared about safety and fairness? Anything goes in a real fight! This was just sport, apparently. Fine, no killing was whatever. Endangering the audience? They'd stay the hell out of his way then, and they'd be fine. Stay in the arena? He wasn't a fuckin' coward. Knocked down for five and you're out? Lame as shit, but Eberwhit had something in mind for that one.

"No intentional killing... Alright, so I can fuck them up as long as they don't die." All this talk of beating up that winged creep was making Gaage want to try plucking them off with his magic. He figured it wouldn't be too terribly difficult, and it wouldn't kill him unless he was too rough. Of course, there wasn't really much choice on who they'd get to fight, he guessed. Still, a man could dream. "You're right, Everleigh-- If we went around cracking the skull of anybody who ever undressed you with their eyes, we'd have to beat up Zael here. I don't think we want that, do we?"

Gaage shot Zael a cheeky smirk. He was only teasing; he had no idea if there was anything going on between the two of them, but they sure seemed to end up around each other fairly often, and it wasn't like Zael never gave him sass about Lennox. The crowd erupted outside, and it practically made Eberwhit's mouth water. How long were they going to have to wait here? He was ready now!

"Hell, I've almost definitely done it before too, feel free to try kicking my ass later and we'll see how that turns out." Gaage wouldn't hurt Everleigh, she was one of those few he actually rather liked a bit. He never turned down a sparring match though. "For fucks sake, how long are they going to take?"

Zael Castomir Everleigh Ebersol

Everleigh’s violet gaze roved over to Zael as he spoke, thinking back to that ogre she had kept an eye on just in case he tried anything funny with the hyperactive blonde, and then looked over at Gaage. If anyone was squishy it was her, and yet, she couldn’t help but think how easy it would be for her to have anyone in that arena on their ass for five seconds. She couldn’t brute force her way through anything, but she’d play it smart. She’d— wait, what did Gaage say?

She snorted, leaning over to look at Gaage once again.

Not like you didn’t see me during communal bath time. Although, I guess back then with all the inanition and immurement I looked like a ten year old boy until the revolution.” It was far easier to detract from his comment about Zael looking at her, something she couldn’t believe unless it was because young men had wandering eyes no matter the woman. Pausing, Everleigh looked down at her chest and huffed out a harsh, short chuckle.

What were all men obsessed with? She heard plenty about it from the courtyard chatter, and it became evermore clear to her after she heard the repeated whispers about one particular redhead at the Winter Solstice Ball. Yeah, all boys were into the one thing they didn’t have. So if it wasn’t the purple hair and eyes then…

The cow tits are new, so I suppose you both can get a pass.” She cocked her head to the side, hearing a cacophony of cheers and jeers. Once it was quiet, she quickly added, “besides, I’d easily kick both of your asses.” And for emphasis, Everleigh jerked her head over onto her right side, letting a series of pops and cracks be heard before she cracked her knuckles. But back to more important matters.

I’m guessing neither of you want a plan?

• Smug
If we went around cracking the skull of anybody who ever undressed you with their eyes, we'd have to beat up Zael here. I don't think we want that, do we?

Zael rolled his gaze over and met Gaage's smirk, grinning with good-natured humor. "Shit, what do you mean 'we'?" Yeah. Okay. In retrospect, maybe that sounded like he wanted to get his ass kicked instead of having a good ol' spar, but, you know what, it's the thought that counts, fuck it, just roll with it, not every remark or jest could be a winner, they knew what he meant.

The cow tits are new...

Zael had a good one for that ("Heh, think we all got some new equipment since then") but it was mostly drowned out by the loud wave of cheers and jeers. Maybe they caught some of it, maybe they didn't. Fuckin ass-backwards Academy though, right? Sure, it was mostly a matter of exquisitely bad timing with the Revolution and all, but it turned out for their class that once everyone got all their shiny new "equipment" to show off, the communal baths stopped.

Besides, I'd easily kick both of your asses.

Were they the best three Initiates to be sent on this mission or what? Out of any combination of three, he and Gaage and Ever just had the best goddamn energy.

Anyway.

"Nope." Zael shook his head. "No plan. Don't really know who were fightin until we're out there. This is gonna be one of those 'fluid' days. But that's alright. You can call me Mister Adaptable."

Did Lord Adaptable sound better? Ah fuck it.

Gaage Eberwhit Everleigh Ebersol

• Wonder
Gaage shot Zael a cocky little grin, raising an eyebrow at his slip up. Figures he'd trip on his tongue when they talked about the purple-haired hottie over there. Eberwhit saw the eyes Castomir gave her, cheeky dog. Couldn't blame him though--- like he'd said, Gaage had done it too.

Everleigh saying she could kick his ass though, that was throwing down the gauntlet. The redhead whips his gaze back, lips spreading in a wide grin as though he could already smell the blood. That could have just been whatever was happening out in the arena though, really. "Keep talking that shit. When we get back, I want my fight. You've gotten me all curious now." Gaage had tussled with Zael before, big man was strong as a fuckin' ox with a full set of armor on. Everleigh was smaller, slimmer, but he'd heard fun stories about how she could go, too.

Fuck if he wasn't getting impatient though. Were those assholes slap fighting out there? Tickling? Maybe whacking each other with pillows? When they finally heard a voice booming out over the arena and the creaking of gates, Gaage thought he might fuckin' dance. Finally he could get that rush he'd been looking for, the rush his body had been craving for weeks, maybe months at this point.

"If he's Mister Adaptable, call me Sir Fuck-shit-up, noble knight of ripping you a new one. The only fluid I wanna be seeing is the piss running down their legs when they see me headed their way. " Adaptability wasn't Gaage's strong suit, and he wasn't ever going to pretend he was good at anything but leaving people broken behind him. And why not? That was a pretty fuckin' badass talent!

Everleigh Ebersol Zael Castomir

“If you think you can handle one of my kicks than I’d enjoy a friendly little spar with you, tough guy.” Everleigh retorted to Gaage, completely missing what Zael had said. She could guess what it was, something cheeky about him and how he was a sight to behold, she was sure. The boys naming themselves was a cute touch, though.

So, if Mister Adaptable and Sir Fuck-shit-up were taken, what was left for Everleigh? Despite believing both Zael and Gaage to be well experienced fighters, inside that small one percent that made them stand out the most, Everleigh knew deep down, they were both hot-headed and hedonistic. And while Everleigh had quite the hedonistic streak herself, they were still on a mission. So Zael and Gaage could go berserk because because Everleigh had decided to—

I’ll keep an eye on you both from behind then,” Everleigh said. Everleigh had no delusions. While being a capable fighter and a even better strategist, she lacked a few vital components. Her heigh, namely. One of the shortest females in their class— Kress, even Chasmine was taller than her— Everleigh was lucky to boast her measly one-hundred and twenty-eight pounds.

So who would be the more intimidating fighter? Everleigh? Or someone like Zael— or even better, Gaage? They were both built well, muscle and sinew well-hewn over their brawny frame. And while Zael was hardly the tallest male initiate in their class, Gaage did have that extra inch or so to have him naturally look intimidating. And because of them, both of them would make lovely decoys.

Everyone was right to fear a lion or a bear. They had a roar to match their heavy strikes. But snakes were always feared the most, when they could be seen. Everleigh would be the shadow that followed the sun, caring little about anyone else.

Everleigh strained her ears. Any moment. Any moment now those doors would open and the mission would really begin. Why not add in on the fun.

Fifty coin to whoever knocks the most out, the two losers will split the cost of the loss.” Everleigh wagered.

• Cheer
That was Dreadlord Initiates for ya. Literally present at a fighting tournament right now, already discussing getting into a scrap once they got back to the Academy. Honestly? Zael wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. He already had the best people on Arethil right beside him, here and back at the Academy.

The gate before them rumbled as Ever tossed out her wager. Thin shafts of light pierced into the staging room and cast illuminating lines over Zael's smirk. "You're on."

And then the gate fell down, exposing the brightness of the day and the dirt of the arena before them. Zael went jogging out, sword in hand. High up on the walls of this colosseum sat the onlookers, the cheering and adoring crowd (adoring the blood and the violence, at least). From corners far and wide had they come, the allure of witnessing a good fight bringing many who simply wanted to watch, even if they themselves were of the sword.

Across the arena, the opposing team of the three came jogging out as well.

The Announcer, a Fire Giant from Molthal, waved a massive hand toward the Initiates. In a showman's voice he cried out, "And here we have the Anirians! Warrior Gaage, Warrior Everleigh, and Warrior Zael!" Maybe not too surprising, but when the Announcer had said the Anirians, there were some outright boos interspersed with the general clamor.

The Announcer went on to briefly introduce the opposing team as well, and then departed from the arena floor. When the gong sounded, that would signal the start of the fight.

As Zael waited on the gong, he sized up the opponent directly across from him. An orc, and an old one, that much he could easily tell even from the distance. His head was bald and his white beard was tied in a single braid. He wore no shirt, and his strange dark charcoal-colored skin was marred with markings stranger still—scars, maybe, but Zael had a sinking feeling they weren't all just scars. Breaking from the usual weaponry, the old orc, introduced as "Mokk" by the Announcer, wielded a swordstaff.

"Pretty agile weapon for such a big guy," Zael commented to the others of it.

Anyone Mokk stares at is unable to cast or use their magic.

Everleigh Ebersol Gaage Eberwhit

• Dwarf