Open Chronicles Intruders of Spire City

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Siris Tireal

The Undying Grudge
Character Biography
Link
Siris hated few things, nothing more so than Gemini. But, even if he was a patient man, he wasn't a fan of waiting either. Even when he knew he had no choice, he abhored even the idea of standing around for others. Too bad he wasn't able to make this trip alone, or he would already be halfway up the mountain.

He was waiting within an outpost set up by his own Tracer Knights, the location sitting at the base of the mountains which hid his target from view. Just south of Thiria, nestled right where the mountain range branches into two, this outpost was small when just looking at it, but held even it's own fair share of secrets.

He had sent word out that he was looking for able bodied warriors, noting they would be up against creatures strong I'm both magic and physical power. He expected such a challenge to bring quite a crowd, finding himself disappointed so far.

Siris stood just above the gate to the small, walled fortress as he looked outside, hoping he would see someone soon. His armor, while cleaned daily wasn't shiny, but dull. The only thing that would set his light weight, metal armor apart from other are strange runes etched into it, and a view strange tools which held from his waist made from the same material as his armor.

"How much longer must I wait? The sun will be down before we even leave at this rate."

Igni was not an image of an able-bodied warrior, yet she had answered the call. She walked up the lonely path to the fortress alone at a stately place suitable to her girth, wearing a colourful saree and light sandals. Jewels glittered around her neck and ears in the afternoon sun. The fact that she could walk at all was impressive, for she was truly a huge woman, round as a boulder and almost as heavy.

She stopped before the gate and bowed slowly, hand on her chest, a warm smile on her plump lips. "Greetings," she said upon straightening. "Are you Siris, by chance? I hear you're looking for warriors."

Siris knew better than to take anyone at face value, having faced a few surprises after underestimating others. He eyes the woman making her way to the fortress, trying to get an feel for the kind of person she was. He wasn't exactly familiar with any high standing people of the area, so couldn't be sure of who she was.

"You would be correct, on both counts. You'd be the first to answer my summons. Come on in the fortress, I'll meet you down there."

As he turned to head down the stairs along the wall he spoke to a few guards and ordered them to keep an eye out for others, also telling them to make sure everyone on duty was ready. He was a cautious man when it came to letting others within his chapter's fortress, amd wanted to make sure there were no surprises.

The gate began to open for the woman, opening the fortress for her just as he made his way down. He waited for the woman, giving a small bow of greeting as she approached.

"Siris Tireal, leader of this Templar chapter. I'm hoping at least one or two others show up before we head out. The area we are going is... treacherous to say the least."

Merv grumbled to himself while trekking up the road. "Should have brought a saddle horse if I knew this place would be out of the way". This sort of summons wasn't his usual job but the interest in getting some more experience along with the chance to get his hands on some unique items. Magic monsters and the likes always fetched a good price and being a simple caravan guard didn't give him much chance for said items.

Traveling further up the trail his gaze shifted over to the wooden walls, himself spying a man conversing with a rather odd individual, considering their dress and how out of the way this area was. "Probably a mage.... hopefully a mage". He once more grumbled before speaking up upon getting closer to the gate of the fortress. "Oi, you lot still looking for people to join? Be a real bugger if I came all this way for nothin".

Siris Tireal
Igni Ymaranath Ythys

Igni was impressed that this Templar had accepted her help without question. Usually she had to perform some magic trick to show she wasn't as useless in a fight as she looked. She waited for the portcullis to open and waddled inside.

After Siris' greeting she bowed again. "I am Igni. I know some magic that may help." She looked around at the templars in the fort. "Will these fine warriors be joining us?"
At his comment about others, she added: "Your posting was a little vague, and this fort is rather out of the way. Perhaps next time, make your meetings somewhere closer to the nearest inn or tavern?"

But then she heard a gruff voice call out from the gateway.
"Ah! Here is your at-least-one-other." She looked at Mervey'i's outfit and the the weapons he carried. "A very professional looking fellow, too.
"That said, I would love to know the details of your operation, Sir Tireal."

Siris looked around at the Templars standing guard, shaking his head as he returns his gaze to the lady. He trusted these men in a fight, just not this particular one.

"No one here, they aren't quite experienced enough for where we are going. Just one from here will join us, but he's up above and waiting already. He can handle himself and he's the best one to get what I need safely. Good to know you can use magics. What we hopefully don't have to fight are tricky, so magic will help."

He couldn't help but laugh a little but shook his head at her remark on meetup location. He knew it would have attracted more, but he wanted quality over quantity. Less lives lost were better to him. He responded to her suggestion as they waited for the soldier to join them. "I like to know who I am bringing with me is willing to make the voyage. It's a long way up these mountains, even with the trail we've been able to slap together."

Once the man was standing with them, Siris wasted no time to introduce himself once again.

"Siris, head of the Tracer Knights. Glad to see another willing to make the journey. I was hoping for at least one more."

He returns his gaze to Igni, looking back and forth between the two as he spoke amd explained there mission.

"Now then, you asked about this operation, so here it is. I won't hold anything from you. If at any point you want to leave, you may. I've lost quite a few men from this voyage, it's risky. We will be going up the mountains this fortress is built at the base of. We have a trail, but even with that it can be difficult, with the cold and wind at times. The trip will take few hours, but the area is clear of beasts, and there is a small hut at the end we can rest before the final bit."

He turned and whistled towards the main building, a side door opening and a Templar donned in a set of normal light armor walked towards them with a box. Siris turns back to the two of them, a sparkle in his eye.

"Now then, my question for you two, do you have a way to deal with the cold of these mountains? If not, I can lend you some of our own relics we use to keep us protected against the icy winds."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Torie
"Professional that I am, or try ta be, helps get repeat customers". He replied to the women's words as she somewhat introduced him, not that he was complaining. If she wanted to do most of the talking fine by it, Merv leaning against the stone wall with his arms crossed while Siris Tireal began to explain what was going on and who is who.

"Ay, stuff like this always has risks, wouldn't be in my line of work if I couldn't handle almost getting my head cut off on a regular basis". "Ain't no stranger to the cold but if ya got anything to help stave it off I'd be more than happy to take one of their relics, makes it easier to aim my crossbow at nasty buggers". That and he didn't usually get access to such stuff before, might as well indulge themselves while they have the chance.

Igni Ymaranath Ythys

"Cold doesn't bother me so much, but I am curious about these relics you mentioned," Igni said, taking her turn after Mervey'i. "But I don't understand. All we're doing is climbing a mountain, to a hut? What comes after that?"

She stood back, looking at the mountain in question. It loomed over the keep's walls before her, tall and imposing like most mountains of these parts. "Your notice said you wanted help with magical creatures. But also said there are no creatures on this path? So we will encounter them after the hut?"

He answers Igni's concerns as his Templar approaches. "Yes, the hut merely acts as a place of rest after the journey, and a safe space where my men can watch the creatures we wil be fighting." It was just after he said this that the soldier made it to them, box in hand.

Siris turns to the man, opening the box and pulling out 2 small metal relic, each diamond in shape and just bigger than one's hand. The outside edge of the items was etched with runes, though neither would be able to understand their meaning unless they knew much finer details of the Gemini language, Auric.

He held one out to each of them before pulling his own from his waist, showing then the shimmering, fiery red gem set into the metal. "Now then, this is a cloak relic. All you need to do is press the gem... " He would set his index finger on the gem and press it until the runes along the edges lit up. From the instant he pulls his finger back, the two guests could see his body being outlined by a layer of pulsing red arcane energy. "And it will create this barrier. This one specifically will protect you from the cold of the mountains and any fire damage you would otherwise take."

He sets his device back into it's spot on his waist before pressing them gem again, the silhouette of himself fading as he added another word of caution. "Just don't use any anti-magic. These don't infuse you with protective magic, just outline you in it."

Igni Ymaranath Ythys
Mervey'i

• Popcorn
Reactions: Torie
Agatha made a quiet and tardy entrance. She had planned on not giving away her inexperience right away – inexperience with groups of others, but combat she was quite familiar with. She’s a great sleuth and a perfect shot; her magics aren’t the strongest, they have been suppressed for so long, but even those skills get stronger every single day. If she stretches the muscles of magic use, she’ll find that her genes provide her with a power she’s never imagined. For now though, for the present, she relies mostly on her domination of archery, riding, and her ability to slither about like a wild cat.

She tied her white mare to a tree, a large yellow eyed snowy owl on her rump. The bird stares menacingly from the saddled animal. It’s hard to tell if it’s guarding or hunting, or if it's real or a magical gimcrack. Agatha leaves the mare, the owl, and her weighty saddle bags; a subtle ward bubbling in a pale blue light around them, crackling and sizzling as it activates to protect them from anyone coming near. (It’s rather weak compared to other strong ward magics, but it's a spell she can do easily.)

Agatha slips into the mix with hopefully minimal ripple, but she cannot really tell, she doesn’t dare look around as if she’s insecure about her completely late entrance to the ensemble. She observes the leader, from the written notice, it’s clear that he’s Siris Tireal. The blond halfbreed caught the names of the others from the corner of her hearing, as she moved into the space behind them.

Sorry I’m late, but I’m answering the notice as well.” It’s clear from the fine bow and sleek obsidian pointed arrows slung over her back that she is an archer. An ornate dagger shimmers on her hip, but it’s half covered by her deep forest green cloak. “I’m Agatha. An archer, and quiet on my feet – and the trees.” She smiles like a mischievous cat, pleased with herself. Her emerald eyes are wild, swimming with an elven tinge. Her blond hair is pulled back in a single braid down her back.

She falls back into being quiet, giving silence so he may introduce the relics Igni asked about. Agatha listens carefully, watching Siris handle the artifact.
Igni Ymaranath Ythys
Mervey'i
Siris Tireal

• Yay
Reactions: Mervey'i
Merv inspected the artifact with curiosity as Siris Tireal explained it's function. Himself humming a bit as how easy it's used seemed to be, tucking it away into his belt. "Nice little contraption, and don't worry about anti magic stuff, most my weapons are good old fashion cold steel". Though they would be even more colder on this mountain trek. "So we heading off now or gonna hang around a bit to see who else shows up". A trio for this sort of venture seemed a bit to small, even if they were gonna meet another further up the mountain.

His questions being answered by the arrival of another women, an elf from what he could see joined in. Merv rubbing his chin while inspecting the lass giving a nod, his gaze falling to her bow. "Nice, another sharp shooter, always good to have more of them on the table". As it stood, assuming Igni Ymaranath Ythys was a mage the group was now quite well balanced.

Agatha Lumaris

Igni took the artifact in her small hands, turning it over and inspecting the runes. "Curious," she said. "I would be keen to learn the history of this artifact. And procure one from you if possible." She pressed the gem with her thumb, and the shimmering around her began. "Protection from cold and fire," she said. "Impressive. I don't usually bother with things such as these, but seeing as it protects from both...
"Does it have a... erm... will it run out of energy?"
She pressed the gem again, just in case, then turned to face the elf that had just joined them. "Welcome," she said, smiling broadly. "I am Igni." She bowed.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Siris was glad when a fourth member arrived, impressed at how silently she joined them. Her stealth is something that could come in handy later on, especially if she could keep an eye on enemies. He couldn't say he had much experience working with elves, but personally had no issue with them amd thus was perfectly fine welcoming her into the group.

"Agatha, a pleasure. I am Siris. Here, take one of these for yourself as well." He held one of the devices out to her as he answered the other two. "Unless you know a specific language which is basically dead to anyone not of race it comes from, you would not he able to recreate anything using the magic in these. However, even if you use it until it fades out, it recharges itself in about a day. That being said, I might be inclined to allow you to take one as a reward if things go smooth."

He turns, grabbing a small, palm sized device with a small grey gem imbed into it, turning to the soldier, device held flat in his open hand. "Since you're so eager, I'll give you the honor. Ladies, please take a hold of my arm. Sir Merv, press the gem. When you do, we will be teleported just a small distance to the beginning of the trail above the fortress."

Mervey'i
Igni Ymaranath Ythys
Agatha Lumaris

• Yay
"A magic coat against the nip of the cold, certainly could get use of that outside of climbing mountains, think it will do nice ans an advance payment". He joked at the mention of said devices being a reward, perhaps some treasure hunting was in order after this job was done

"Righty oh, going up then". His hand grasping the gem and getting into position as the women got ready. "First time using some magic tool like this". Merv's gloved hand pressing the grey gem, holding it down for a few seconds as the feeling of magic engulfed the group.

Siris Tireal Igni Ymaranath Ythys Agatha Lumaris

Siris counted down as the button was pressed. "3, 2, 1." Almost perfectly in time with his count, the device would activate as the runes lit up with the same grey hue as the gem. The moment was quick, though just as disorienting as any other form of teleportation.

A half second later and the group found themselves standing on a rather well hidden path a couple hundred feet above the fortress now below them. He pockets the device before gesturing along the path.

"This is where we start. It will take about half the day to get up using the path we've made. You won't have to use the device right away, either. Are we all ready?"

Igni took hold of Siris' arm as directed. She wasn't used to humans inviting her to touch them, and found, at the end, she had quite enjoyed the experience.

The teleportation disorientated her, but only for a moment. Soon she could see the keep below and the path above them.

Are we all ready?

"I am," Igni said. "Lead the way, fearless one." Then she started up the path. As per before she walked with a stately pace, but despite her size she did not appear to tire. Given the narrowness of the path and the vastness of her girth, however, it would be quite difficult for those behind her to slip past. It wouldn't be the first time she had delayed someone's travel plans.

Siris gave a small nod of his head before Igni began to lead the way up the path. He spoke as they walked, giving a brief explanation as to where they were going.

"Top of this mountain overlooks a place called Spire City. It's a little known area, as far as I can tell my Templars and now you all are the only ones who are aware of it."

In truth the denizens of the nearby floating city could probably see the area, but he couldn't tell if they were interested in it or not.

"We won't have to go far into the area, but we will most likely find ourselves fighting. They creatures there are very territorial, but only if you cross the threshold. I'll explain when we get there, it's easier to understand when you see it."

The path, despite it's small size, was rather well built, with a few handholds in the few areas where it was more difficult. With the exception of a few wild animals, few other living creatures would be seen on their voyage. Many wild animals stayed away from the area just because of the beasts that wait at the top.

Merv blinked a few times as the group arrived, eyes scanning over the side of the cliff at the fortress they were just at. "Blimey we are high up ay, guess we best get walking then". The man shifting his backpack a bit before moving to follow Siris Tireal up the path, holding up the rear letting the two ladies stay in the middle.

The the trope moved along Merv kept his crossbow a hand, listening to Siris words with each step. "So I'm guessing is some sort of magical barrier or what not and once we get through it's like some sort of alarm that trigger em"? He hypothesized to their current leader, "What you think Igni, this lot seems like magic to you"? Himself still assuming the women was some sort of mage, even if they hadn't said much about their skills set.

Igni Ymaranath Ythys

Igni had been enjoying the serenity, and the view of course, and was focussing on putting one foot in front of the other. Strong as she was, this body was still getting hard to move around. So when Mervey'i spoke to her she had to pause before replying.

"Mm? Well... creatures that stay one one side of a threshold and ignore the other do sound like magic. It could be an alarm, though creatures don't usually respond to alarms. Perhaps they simply cannot sense us on the other side of the threshold. It's good you have an inquisitive mind, though." She turned her head and smiled at the mercenary briefly.

"Very strange, to find a city so high in the hills." Unless it was a dwarven city, of course. They built cities anywhere there was rock, generally. Even one below the ocean. To Siris she said: "So, our goal is only to reach the city? What's the purpose of your visit?"

Siris enjoyed this trip more than most others, mainly because he knew the chance for any surprises was low. Even the fortress had a low chance to be attacked due to how out of the way it was. This area made it easy to defend themselves, and for his Knights to defend their home.

The conversation continued behind him, with Siris putting in what he believes to be the reason. "It could definitely be described as a barrier, however I believe Igni is correct when she says it doesn't seem like an alarm. The creatures within seem to attack based off distance, mainly. Though they can be led to us with noise as well."

They came to what seemed like an old stone bridge, something that Siris and his men obviously didn't make. Despite its age it still seemed solid enough to walk across, with Siris not even hesitating as he stepped onto it.

"There are ruins just like this bridge there, though they are unique only to the center of rhe area. A few experiments we ran seem to show those ruins are what actually keep them inside. Almost like a beacon for them, the closer they are to it the stronger they are."

They would continue their journey this way for about 10 hours at their current pace before they would find themselves at their first stop, the cabin. During that time Siris would answer any questions they would have for the area and the goal.

"In truth my goal is only the acquisition of certain materials up there. "

Merv gave a nod, understanding most of what the two said about the monsters, but that also raised another point. "Gotta ask, what sort of monsters you been finding out ere? Might be good to have some sort of description so I know what to shoot at". He asked as the group crossed the stone bridge, as Igni Ymaranath Ythys had stated it was somewhat strange to have a city so high.

Getting up and down seemed hard enough let alone managing to get good and other supplies. "Guess they used a heap of magic like that artifact that got up ere in the first place". He responded to the women's own query.

The cabin was a breath of fresh air, quite literally as Merv moved to sit down and let a load off. Reaching into his pocket to get out a flash of whisky before looking back to Siris Tireal. "So, these materials magic or rare in some way I'm guessing".