Letters Introduction of Orax

Roleplay dedicated to correspondence type roleplays such as letters.

Do you have a character who may be interested in travelling here?

• Yes, and I even read all this letter

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes, and I read the letter...kind of

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, this letter bored the hell out of me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but seems like a cool concept

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Ateus Oraxud

(Excerpt from a mans journal, the first page says Mardon but the last name is unreadable due to water damage)

Sometime, 360

I have been washed ashore on an amazing island, the ruler of the island, a man named King Adavas has taken me under his wing and tried teaching me about the island, in exchange for knowledge about Arethil, which he did not know existed. From my knowledge of elven, common and some exaggerated gestures, this is what I've learned. The Island of Orax was settled upon when the Age of Wonders was happening in Arethil. Many humans and elves who had been constantly displaced and were most recently kicked out of Ixchel by the dwarves, decided they’d had enough and sailed on the boat of a merchant named Borlow Orax to an island he had seen in his travels. When they arrived they used some of the amazing technological skills they’d experienced with the dwarves to create a massive and beautiful town, which wasn’t technologically impressive itself but was very well built in such a short time. The city referred to as ‘Stone Home’ due to the city being made out of stones brought from the mainland and the island is called Orax after, well Borlow Orax and his descendants who are the royal family. The island itself is very desert like with only some small rivers, wells and mages providing water. I hope to learn more about the present soon

Day two of being in Orax.
The people speak their own language which sounds utterly ridiculous to people who speak common as the words are very different (Hello for example is spelt Xayyq, and pronounced differently from how we would read it). However some scholars and nobles have learned common and have a basic, and heavily accented, knowledge of it. (The accent makes their voices sound higher pitched and they butcher vowels). The common people have recently been told about Arethil and it is now a large topic of discussion with the populace, most of whom are curious and some a bit suspicious. One other note on the people, they appear to look like pale humans with some having elven features, due to generations of breeding between the elves and humans, to the point where elves and humans are races of mythology for children. There is also a rare mineral called ‘Etma’ it is a pink crystal and can channel powerful magical energy, although only the crown is allowed to mine it and I have yet to have an opportunity to examine it. I have learned however a magical chant allows the people who are so pale, too be protected by the sun and even feed off of it to gain strength. The chant must be said while a special rune is held on a baby's head and it lasts for life. I have been told by the king he will announce me as his new adviser and falsify my history so I may stay.

Day seven of being in Orax
I have learned more about the land itself, there are two major cities: Stone Home which is the capital and Abder which is a large town really, as far west of the island as possible. On the smaller island just off the coast is a fishing town called Paldar which is as grungy and dirty as would be expected, the buildings are mostly clay and the boats are small vessels not capable of long journeys but can easily handle the sleepy water around the island. There is also a farming town called Zixan which is responsible for all of the kingdoms crops and has many clay buildings spread out among the fields, with bigger stone buildings for the land owners. Oh and I have also come to the conclusion the people dress very colorfully with magically colored cloth made out of a thin material created from the leaves of a local bush.

Week three, day four of being in Orax
I have learned about the religion of the people, they believe spirits called 'Jxnai' travel the land and evils ones cause bad luck and good ones cause good luck. They are very cagey about discussing the spirits and it seems you're just expected to know what to do and what not to do. I also have met with some members of the royal guard, who are heavily clad warrior mages trained from age 10, they seem intimidating in figure although most are actually nice.

Last edited by a moderator: