Open Chronicles In This Quiet Corner of the World

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Draegan the Undying

The Dragon Knight
The freshly fallen snow crunched under his boots with the same satisfying sound that it always had. Draegan was still adjusting to the realities of his… condition? Existence? He wasn’t mentally adjusted yet. Sometimes he would absentmindedly be looking around for rations or digging holes in the snow for relieving oneself in when setting up camp. Things that living things had to do. Not things that he had to do anymore. His shoulders heaved as though he were sighing. He even went through the motions of things like breathing. It was strange.

Shaking off these thoughts for now, Draegan looked toward the horizon where he could see the lights of a town drawing closer. One of the few settlements on this continent. Most settlements were by the coast. Those that lived in them were the pioneers. Brave and bold folk that sought opportunity even in a place like this. Draegan found it admirable. The tenacity it took to settle in a wild place like this intrigued him. He wanted to meet the people who lived here. He had promised Magnan not to stray too far, but he couldn’t help some of his old wanderlust.

Draegan had taken the precaution of lining his armor with furs. This served a number of purposes. First, it would look strange if a man wearing metal armor didn’t have any insulation to keep him warmth. Second, it padded the parts of his armor that were a bit more loose, so his bones didn’t go clacking around. And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it stopped him from smoking. He didn’t have the best control over the flames inside of him yet. They were still very much a mystery to him. Though, he knew that he could cease smoking entirely, just not how to. It seemed to depend on his mental state at times. Others, it seemed arbitrary. But, if he was going to blend in with common folk, it would be best if he didn’t look and smell like he was roasting on a spit. Also, his helm was very important to wear. It hid his new charming grimace.

Hoping that his haphazard solution would do the job at least for now, Draegan set foot into town. A few people bustled around the streets, giving him looks occasionally. He was sure that he was still the odd sight, but none of their stares contained fear. A little relieved, Draegan headed down to the docks to see if there were any fishermen bringing in their fish. He had chosen the evening to arrive, so maybe he’d stop by the fish market and then swing by the tavern. He was curious what kind of news and rumors would be floating around. Getting caught up on what the world was up to would be fun, he just had to try to hide his ignorance. Right now, he was just relieved that he could still walk among the people as he had in life.

When Steve had met Draegan the undying through Magnan he was exited, A friend of a friend is a friend's friend, but a friend's friend can become a friend if you treat them like a friend. When Draegan had said he wanted to visit a village Steve saw this as a great opportunity, He could spend sometime with Draegan, and he would be able to get some more potatoes. Plus, having back up when you are undead is always useful. Especially since so many hate them so. Steve, still living, had not had to worry about hiding his appearance, but was well aware of what would happen if him being a necromancer would be found out, and he had seen what would often happen to any undead... Well now was not the time to worry about that, yet.

Right now what Steve really wanted to do was to make some more stew. Unfortunately he could not risk bringing the others with him as their undead appearance would not be easy to hide, no matter how you looked at it, undead chicken are hard to give proper disguises. As such he had been forced to pull his cart by himself, something he had not done for a while. Still even knowing what would happen if one was caught, he still wished he could have had at least one of his very good bois with him.

Steve found himself looking back from where they'd come. His eyes finally ending up resting on a blue flower held within a wood vase that looked as though it grew from the cart. The water in the vase had been frozen long before he arrived in the tundra, but the flower still looked to be alive and well. Steve sighed it alway felt as though he was leaving people behind. Steve turned back to the smokey knight before him, At least their were always new friends to be made along the way. Suddenly noticing how large the gap between them had grown, he got a move on again.

"Wait, wait for me! I am pulling this whole cart, and do not have some of the advantages you have. *huff* I promise it will be worth it once I get the ingredients for my stew, ask anyone, it is to die for, HAHAHA! *Hooo* *cough cough* I really wish Buttercup and Alister were able to come and pull this cart for me, I am pooped."