Open Chronicles In search of Dur-Kharazh

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Voraak Tyrethian

The Pale Sorcerer
Character Biography
Link
(Open to all)
It had been months since Voraak had originally left Elbion but he found himself here again....once more, seeking information.

proxy.php

During his travels he had heard other mages and adventurers talk about some ruin lying in the middle of nowhere called Dur-Kharazh. This place didn't exist in any manuscript he read but there were references in other books about a "grand library of forgotten knowledge" named by ancient ones whose tongue we can no longer comprehend.

According to some tales, Dur-Kharazh was a grand library for Ancient Ones and it housed knowledge on just about anything. The location had been lost to mankind many many years ago. Some predict its in the swamps and others predict Dur-Kharazh being near The Spine or even in the desert. No one knows.

Voraak was hoping he would find information of this legendary ruin. He would be meeting an old friend of his in the local tavern. Given some luck, he could narrow a location down but he would need a person or two to join him perhaps. There would be no telling what treasures and traps this library would hold.

Legend goes that the library had so much information that the Ancient Ones fought one another over imminent domain to reside over the library. According to tales they destroyed the library in the process but one book managed to survive the inferno.
Ahkmas ser-Veröd

This very book is mentioned by the College of Elbion as a natural wonder. Protected by magickal wards and locked away in a display case, the book intrigued him. Dur-Kharazh does exist....somewhere.

As Voraak sat idly at the booth in the corner, he kept a watchful eye over every soul that entered and left the building. The friend he was meeting attended the College with him and was an avid scholar who was on better terms with the instructors than he was.

Coming in from the outside sun came a younger female in her late 20's or so, she was obviously on the lookout for someone. She was looking for him.

Holding a precious stone in his hand he channeled his energy and relayed a message to her mind "Over here, in the corner."

As if snapping to reality, the woman looked his way and offered a curt smile. She knew that he was not the public type so she seated herself across from him and leaned forward to speak with her former colleague.

"Oh Jakob! It has been a while, it's really good to see you!"

Voraak smiled with nostalgia as the woman pierced him with her almond brown eyes. "Glad to see you too Roselia"

Roselia was the only other person that would give him the time of day and she understood his fascination with knowledge but she chose her own path by obeying the College's instructors and staying to finish her studies. Her and Voraak had been friends since they were little.

"I found information about that tome. Ahkmas ser-Veröd. Nobody is allowed to even touch it for study purposes. I tried asking the dean if I could study the book as it had an ancient origin. He denied my request. I am so sorry Jakob"

Giving her a teasing smile he nodded "Being polite doesn't work does it? I figured the dean would shut you down unfortunately. I can't openly steal the book....not yet at least. Too many eyes and I am technically not allowed back into the College. I do not wish to ask this favor of you so don't get any ideas."

Had Voraak not been obsessed with knowledge and power, it could be assumed that he would have courted this woman perhaps. Then again, he tried not to think about that.

"Well...Dur-Kharazh won't find itself you know."

Voraak had a decent idea, if it would work.

"Who can access the book? We may be able to hypnotize them into recording the text and I wouldn't have to steal the book at all"

Roselia relayed that only the dean had access to the book. Hypnotizing him would be hard, as a great deal of deceit and trickery would be needed.

"What if I create a sleeping reagent and you slip it in his drink when you talk to him. Once he is knocked out I could try to induce him with the thought of recording the book's text. You bring the parchment to me and he wakes up not remembering a thing?"

Roselia frowned slightly and Voraak realized what he would be doing. Having Roselia risk her academic career.

"Nevermind. I'll.....find another way."

The young Elbion mage fiddled with the precious stone in his hand and tried to think of a more subtle strategy while Roselia ordered a drink.

The dark scholar known as Jakob, changed his name so his parents wouldn’t be questioned by authorities or slain for their son’s actions. Going under the moniker Voraak, he would make a new name for himself.

Seeing that obtaining the book would be harder than he anticipated he would have to revisit this later on. Not wanting to endanger Roselia in any fashion, Voraak knew he would need to come back once his magic has improved beyond recognition. Smiling at Roselia he would put a few coins on the table for her trouble.

“You were always a good person to me Roselia and I will never forget that. I must leave before others recognize me. I’ll be seeing you soon hopefully.”

In his departure, he left a sealed letter behind on the table addressed to the Elbion woman. Looking up, Jakob was nowhere to be found. A frown started across her face as she ripped the envelope open. Jakob always had decent writing but the text appeared to be rushed, as if he didn’t have the time to write it.

Sweet Roselia,

I am afraid I have put you in too much danger. I do not want you to risk your career or your life just to associate with me. I wish for you to be happy and to continue your pursuits in dreams, no matter what makes you happy I will wish the very best for you.

Whether we got the book or not, I am writing this letter to tell you that I will always have feelings for you but we are on opposite sides of the vast spectrum. I am a questionable scholar and you are a valedictorian. It would be a forbidden love if I were to pursue you.

I will be leaving to find where I fit. Perhaps Eastward to The Spine, who knows? Take care of yourself and I will write you when I can.

Always,

Jakob Tyrethian

--------

Leaving the city’s gates, Voraak walked idly by as civilians were tending to their business. The only thing he had left from his previous ventures was his sword. He would need to work himself to craft a new staff and establish a home somewhere. Elbion was out of the question, people looked down on this troubled scholar and mage. Voraak didn’t care where he went, he knew what he needed: knowledge and plenty of it.

The Spine was a known mountain range that was home to Orcs and perhaps some knowledge could be found deep in the mountains. First he would craft another staff and then he would resume his studies on immortality. Much caution and practice would need to be achieved before performing real experiments on the possibilities of immortality. Necromancy would be a decent start perhaps.