Private Tales Imperial Summons

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Gerra

The Emperor
Character Biography
Link
A royal missive found the dragon Aivrid, requesting his presence in the Alybyad Palace of Ragash. Upon arrival, he would be directed to the throne room, which was empty but for a single figure. The vast marbled floor and vaulted ceilings made it feel even more hollow.

Gerra sat upon the Sherdal Throne, a seat wrought entirely in gold and backed by a winged lion. He wore black robes, after the fashion of the Abtati. In his hands, he held a mace, idly turning it and examining the flanged, serrated head. From his neck, on a golden chain, hung an electrum oval, a serpent's relief springing from the oval with two glittering eyes of emerald.

Tag: Gerra

It's about time.

The doors at the end of the throne room were opened rather unceremoniously by the Immortals posted outside, and the disguised dragon sauntered on in. "Gerra!" Aivrid spread his arms, grinning just as widely. It really had been too long since they'd had a proper talk. These 'imperial summons' were nothing but a formality to show the little ones that Gerra was in charge. If he'd wanted, a quick message with the stone he'd gifted the Emperor of Amol-Kalit would have reached the dragon more quickly. It didn't much matter, though, he was happy to talk to the half-giant again.

Aivrid imagined he might feel small and powerless here, in the presence of such a majestic being in such a majestic hall. His human form was comparatively poorly dressed; he wore a black cloth robe and shirt, hardly the garb of a 'man' in his position. Compared to his dragon form he was a disgusting little whelp, too small to even fill such a small hall. It really did take forever to get anywhere in this form.

He stopped at the foot of the dais and gave a semi-mocking bow. "My Emperor, truly an honour to be in your presence. How might I be of service today?" Aivrid straightened, still grinning, and began up the steps. "We really must speak more often my boy. As a ruler you should spend more time in the capital. It's important to have a strong center to your domain."

Gerra snorted.

“It is...strange seeing you in this form.”

His fingers played along the length of the mace in his lap.

“I had thought to reprimand you for seizing control of the army in Ashuanar’s absence... but how does one reprimand a thousand year old dragon? No, I see it is folly now.”

He leaned back in the throne.

“Thank you for settling that affair. I had business in the north that could not wait. The cities of the Trident have seen Salitra’s fate. I believe many will join us before year’s end. Cortosi crusaders loom in the south. Vel Anir fleets amass in the oceans. And my viziers scrabble for power. What do you believe should be our next move?”

Ah, the part of the wise mentor... indeed, it has been too long.

The man-dragon slowed as he moved up the steps. Yes, it was still odd, being in this form. Even standing at his full, human height, Aivrid still appeared shorter than the sitting half-giant. When was the last time he'd been truly smaller than another? He supposed it'd been his last conversation with Zull, though he had caught wind of the enormous dragon's defeat. Rumors often ran rampant of such things...

"Stranger still that the halls of the Empire have yet to be built with my size in mind," he said ponderously, before laughing loudly. They couldn't be expected to get everything right, now could they? Little ones were often so fragile and meek. Perhaps he'd scared them off from even asking.

"Four thousand year old dragon," Aivrid corrected. "In fact, my name day approaches. The Sereti have begun to plan a grand festival." Still, it was important to soothe any fears Gerra might have. Aivrid was, of course, indispensable to the Empire. Without a doubt his claiming of the title of Vizier of War had turned a few heads -- the action had intended to -- but he assumed Gerra would have no issue. It was just politics, after all. The Emperor shouldn't burden himself with such little things.

"Ah, that... I intended no disrespect of course. The army needed a leader, and in truth I trust no one more than myself to hold such a great responsibility." He didn't trust anyone else. "Ashuanar, of course, is an excellent Vizier." He'd never talked to Ashuanar. "I have heard that his rescue is well underway, and as soon as he has returned he will regain his title and role." He had little use for it now. Moving around the commanders and finding loyal soldiers to be his eyes, ears, and hands in the Empire's army had been simple enough... though Ashuanar might be a little confused by the changes Aivrid had made. "I don't think I've ever been reprimanded for anything in a great many centuries."

Aivrid seemed to wander lazily around the dais as he listened to Gerra's concerns. He remembered only vaguely the advice he had given the half giant when they'd first met. So much had changed... but Aivrid's wisdom did not wane, ever. His amiable and humorous tone changed to a voice much more wise, though he found the weaselly, high-pitched voice of a human undercut his words, compared to the tone of a beast greater than any other.

"A wise king never seeks out war, but is always prepared for it," he mused. "No, no, that's terrible advice. So many potential threats around, and to wait for one to decide that the Empire is worth attacking? Take control, Gerra. Not just here, but in all of Liadain. You showed your strength at Ninagal, and the Empire's at Salitra, but still there are many who do not understand your power. The Empire is still young, and its people too need convincing. Tell me, how can you show that your empire will last a millennia?"

Gerra raised an eyebrow.

“By laying the proper foundation. Allies must be secured. Rivals must be toppled. I have already set the pieces into motion, dragon. Soon, we will be at war with Vel Anir.”

Look how grown up he is.

The dragon gave a devilish smile in response. Gerra had plans! How wonderful. Of course, Aivrid needed to know more about said plans, to be sure that none of the pieces he was moving would conflict... spies in Vel Anir were difficult to procure, after all, especially for a not entirely human employer.

"Well, it seems that you are not in need of my advice on this matter, then. Becoming a player in the great game already, well, I'm most impressed. I presume your schemes are something you'd like to speak about? I find that confiding in another about such things is very satisfying... or perhaps, you'd like me to be a piece in your game as well?" How manipulative. Aivrid was so proud.

A spark of irritation flashed across Gerra’s obsidian features, like magma hissing between shifting tectonic plates.

“Like you to be? Aivrid.. you already are.”

The emperor grimaced.

“But not a predictable one. I did not expect you to seize control of the military. It will no doubt upset Ashuanar when he is recovered. If he is recovered. Something will be done to remedy that. Even so... how soon could you have the city levies assembled on the savanna border? I’ve heard talk among the Divan of Cregsbend Castle. If we take it by word or war, we can fortify it and turn it into our power base in the region. But we must move quickly.”

Obviously he's been misinformed...

Aivrid listened intently to Gerra. "If you are not in control of your pieces, are you really a player?" The transformed dragon mused. He wasn't particularly worried about the half-giant's anger; it fizzled out soon enough. Gerra had a head for business. He was focused and driven. That hadn't changed since their last meeting, and Aivrid was glad. The Empire would be better for it.

"I have no intention to be Vizier of War longer than I must. When Ashuanar returns," Aivrid did not doubt Medja, Fieravene, and the Immortals, "His responsibilities and title will be returned to him. In truth I have done very little to change things within the army... aside from about Cregsbend, of course."

He paused for a moment, considering how to play this. Oddly enough he decided to credit Ashuanar further -- it was important that Gerra could trust his advisors. "Before I had even stepped into the position, Ashuanar had prepared several legions in case of an emergency. I believe he'd meant for them to be a response to the attacks of the rebels, but they were unneeded for that purpose, as we'd decided during that meeting of the Divan. Instead I sent them to Cregsbend, where they would meet with an agent of mine and... discuss the castle joining the Empire. It would subsequently be used as a base of operations to deal with the people of the grasslands... and, I suppose, strike at Vel Anir. The army will be at Cregsbend in a few days. Even if negotiations fail, there are more than enough men for a siege."

His gaze turned to Gerra, the more serious and calm side of him showing. "You must come to these meetings, Gerra, such that things move according to your plans. No one else knows of them, after all," he said, again prodding lightly for more information. If he knew what was going on and what Gerra wanted him to do, everything would move much smoother.

• Yay
  • Bless
Reactions: Ashuanar and Gerra
Gerra massaged the bridge of his nose.

“There are greater things at work in this land, Aivrid. Older even than you. I saw things in my pilgrimage that..." he sighed and waved a dismissive hand. "No matter. If I have to shepherd every meeting of my viziers, then they are of no use to me. They must be capable of independent thought, while also maintaining the best interests of the Empire. I will leave for Cregsbend shortly then.... but if you are not going to keep the Vizier of War position, then I will appoint you as the Golden Vizier over the treasury. That should be well suited to your skills, should it not?"

• Devil
Reactions: Aivrid

Independent thought...

"Independent thought also means independent ambition," Aivrid countered. "You've already made it clear that taking control of the military was not what you wanted from me. I'm unpredictable, ambitious, unique -- the same as the rest of the Divan." The transformed dragon shook his head. It occurred to him that he was the only one in the Emperor who might speak to Gerra like this; that made him invaluable. Odd, that now of all times he chose to be honest.

"You are building an empire, Gerra. As its leader, your subordinates and subjects must all understand what that means. The last divan meeting? None among them objected, even for a moment, at my taking of the mantle of Vizier of War. Of them I am the least connected to this land and with the least care for its people, but they allowed it nonetheless. Do not shepherd them, no, they do not need that. They are intelligent and driven, but they are in need of guidance. Tell them of your plans and they will tell you how they can best serve you." Perhaps it was a great deception, meant to force Gerra to show his hand. But he seemed to speak with sincerity, as foreign a concept it was to him.

"As for Vizier, well... I do have a vested interest in keeping the treasury full. I would be happy to fill said seat on the Divan." Excellent. The last Golden Vizier had been rather... not present, as it were.

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Gerra
The emperor continued to rub the bridge of his nose as he felt an oncoming headache.

“I value your counsel, dragon, but must you speak as though to a child? I would see you as an equal, at least in private. You know this much. I came to you in supplication for aid and you evaporated my enemies like water in the desert heat. The gods know that many follow more out of fear of you than love of me.”

He held laid the implements of his rule on his lap and spread his hands to show them empty.

“I want you as a friend Aivrid, but must I deal with your scheming as well as the others?”

• Love

Friend?

Aivrid listened to the half-giant, and... hesitated.

He'd never really thought about it that way. In truth the concept was foreign to dragons of his kind. His kin would not hesitate to stab him in the back once he became unnecessary, and he would not hesitate either. But other creatures... yes, they required it, did they not? Because of their weakness they were forced to cooperate. When faced with overwhelming odds they grouped together and made greater things together than they might alone.

How the cosmos would shake if dragons were the same way.

The small man was silent and solemn for a few moments as he regarded Gerra. Yes, the boy had grown to better suit his role as emperor of Amol-Kalit, yet Aivrid had come to see Gerra as something akin to a son. Perhaps that was better than one of his own blood, that Aivrid might grow old and watch this man change the world. Pride, but for another. He was overwhelmed by these foreign concepts for a moment before slowly he nodded.

"My schemes are a pastime,"
he admitted. "A game. I have reached a point where I do not fear death, and I search only for amusement in life, despite not entirely being fulfilled." He raised his hand to stroke his beardless chin. "In truth my schemes take me far from Amol-Kalit. I may have been even more absent from the divan than you, were it not for the sky streams."

Aivrid shrugged and sighed. "Gerra, I have no intention to damage your plans. I believe that you are intelligent and self-aware enough to be a sufficient ruler for this land, if not the continent. Do not allow me to distract you. After all, when you ask for my help I answer."

• Devil
“And for that I will always be in your debt, Aivrid.”

The emperor shook his head and rested his hands on the arms of his throne.

“Well, let us amend our absent ways. Scheme on, so long as you scheme for the good of Empire. You know that is all that matters to me in the end.”

Gerra looked away and up, peering at the vast vaulted ceiling with its blue, white, and yellow tiles.

“If you left... I fear I would miss these conversations. No one speaks to me as you do. Perhaps I am unwise to ask you to change.”

• Love

Then scheme I shall.

"The ends justify the means," he mused. That was a good philosophy to have, and in truth something he valued deeply in others. Ambition, determination, will -- to see something through to the end, no matter the cost.

Well, the cost mattered a little. Cost effective may have been the more appropriate term.

Yes, Aivrid would continue to scheme. Not all of it would entirely benefit the Empire. Still, none of it would directly harm it either, so long as Aivrid was kept in the loop of the goings-on here and there. Perhaps he should take the mantle of spymaster as well... it'd certainly be just as good as treasurer.

The transformed dragon smiled and nodded. "There is a difference between fear and respect, mm?" He laughed. "No, Gerra, I will not change how I speak to you. But perhaps I will speak to you more often." Aivrid had found himself quite enjoying his few conversations with the fiery half-giant. In fact, as of late he'd been more amused than usual. He'd been brought out of his cave. He might as well enjoy the outdoors.

"Alas, that will have to wait -- if that is all, I will be taking my leave. I have much scheming to do."

• Devil