Private Tales If It Bleeds

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
F84FEB85-7D62-4674-AD52-A866766FED9E.jpeg
[art creds]
The small town of Lahiri was right on the border of the Falwood. Because the majority of it’s occupants were human, it had been claimed by Vel Anir. There were plenty of whispered rumors that Lahiri pledged allegiance to Vel Anir long ago because during the second war it was clear that Vel Anir would be the victor. However, the small town had it’s fair share of dwarves and elves, and it was known as being a place of rest during long river journeys. Massive, large trees grew in the fertile soil, the trees being centuries if not at least a millennia old. The cottages, inn, marketplace and other businesses were obviously built around these trees aptly named Yggdrasils.

In Lahiri, to cut down a tree was akin to suicide as one would be convicted immediately for harming such treasures.

While the town was not as impressive to the those closer to the central of Vel Anir, it was by no means a mess. Everleigh appreciated this as she rode a horse up the expertly stone crafted steps. The steps may have been old but they withstood the weight of her and her steed as if they were nothing more than a feather. The wild, quick gurgle of the Lafayette river was constant throughout the entire town, half of the city on one side with the other half on the other. The bridge connecting them was known for it’s architectural achievement and was named Solomon Bridge after it’s creator.

The poison eater made her way to the bridge that nestled the docking port in constant shade from the fair sun. The lush greenery surrounding the town created crisp air, and Everleigh felt a sense of content with each quiet breathe she took. She came here not because her mission was here but because she was required to meet the dreadlord she was to shadow. She was surprised that she was picked, considering some of the stronger dreadlords seemed available, but after hearing the details of the mission, she understood why the Academy thought she would be a good fit.

However, the dreadlord she was supposed to shadow, Dreadlord Gideon, was nowhere near the academy. So it was required for her to meet him halfway. Usually a proctor would be sent out to oversee the entire mission, but Everleigh had yet to be caught causing trouble and so she was trusted. After all, in exchange for her malice she would grant whatever wish was desired of her.

Arriving to the quaint looking inn, Everleigh dismounted her steed as nimbly as one could, using the reins to tie the black horse near a trough of water. She personally felt that she was late, if that was true she didn’t know, but she had taken a wrong turn hours earlier and had to back track. With a sigh of relief as she walked towards the inn, the young women remembered what the proctor had said to her. He’s a big man. You’ll know it’s him when you see him. So big and bulky? Or just big as in extremely tall? Everleigh felt that as an initiate she should be able to sense a dreadlord— especially one as powerful as him.

After all, the last thing the proctor had said to her was “you’re a smart girl, but you should be careful.” If only that proctor knew what an adrenaline junkie Everleigh Ebersol truly was.

Inside the simple inn, Everleigh quickly spied a bar with a lone, male bartender. Long tables had been placed across from the bar, but there were were a few smaller tables near the corners of the inn. Everleigh deduced they were used for more private matters as it seemed only four wooden chairs were placed around the circular tables. The dreadlord initiate paused looking around. She most definitely was not about to go to the bar— she may be eighteen but she knew better than to drink on the job— and so instead she focused on the various guests inside the inn. Big man. Just find a very big man. She thought to herself.

Gideon

Last edited:
  • Smug
Reactions: Gideon
"My, oh my," a gentle voice, like fluttering rose petals, whispered in the girl's ear. Even softer were the fingers that brushed from one shoulder, across her back, and to the other as a lithe woman circled Everleigh. She was an inch, maybe two taller than the Apprentice Dreadlord, and wore clothes that were much too baggy for her slender frame. "Lookin' for somebody, darlin'?"

With the color of dried, dead rosebuds, her eyes narrowed at Everleigh. And her full lips curled up in a toxic smile, like poisoned honey.

"Everyone finds what they need in Lahiri," she suggestively purred, "C'mon, I'll show you." And she took Everleigh by her wrist and guided her past the bar, up a set of stairs, down a long hallway, and into the last room.

The room was empty, save for a travel sack tucked under the bed, and showed signs that it had been lived in for a few days.

The lady sat on the bed, crossed one leg over the other, and smiled that sickly sweet smile again.

"Well?"

Last edited:
  • Nervous
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol
Everleigh felt her body get tense— she hadn’t even heard the woman approaching her. The poison eater’s dull eyes looked at the woman, and she tilted her head. She was confused. Was this one of those Sweetgirls that she had heard about in passing? The ones who took men to private rooms and in return would be paid for their services?

If that were the case, then why come to Everleigh? Holding back the urge to push the woman away and to get back to looking for the dreadlord a deep frown appeared on initiate’s features. She had grabbed her wrist, something that Everleigh wasn’t used to. Actually, the woman had touched her so casually, her hand gentle. It was strange.

Perhaps against her better judgement, Everleigh followed the woman, looking around the room and finding that no one who fit the description given to her seemed to be here. Was… was this woman leading her to Gideon? She wasn’t told of his powers, but after her mission with Liliana, maybe he had some sort of mind control as well?

Do you know Gideon?” Everleigh asked the moment they were in the room. She stayed by the door, her hands reaching for the flat blades hidden behind her. She could prick her finger, use her blood for the toxin. The only give away would be when her eyes glowed.

Gideon

• Dab
Unflappable. Well, that was to be expected.

What happened next was difficult to be defined by a single word. The lady's features twisted and rippled, her bones and joints cracking as her entire appearance underwent a drastic change. The angles of her body, shape of her physique all became that of a man's. The only constant was those pale, pink eyes.

"What a boring reaction," Gideon sighed, "So it's you, then."

The Dreadlord uncrossed their legs. If Everleigh had taken note of it in the first place, she would see that Gideon's clothes fit perfectly now.

"Your name?"

• Popcorn
As the woman before her began twisting and shaping into something else before, Everleigh pricked her finger. A trap? Despite the tingle of pain, she slipped her thumb along the edges of the blade as her dull eyes glowed bright as if a light had been lit within her irises.

Her knees were bent, she was poised to run or attack, but it seemed to be for nothing. Because before her was Gideon. She would’ve balked if she hadn’t been an initiate she was sure.

Dreadlord Initiate Everleigh Ebersol,” the poison eater responded dutifully, casting her gaze low and dipping her head. He was huge. She had no idea how he had been so small before, only a bit taller than she herself was. Where did all that extra bulk come from though? Shapeshifting magick? Illusion? She had no idea.

I’m sorry for being late. I promise my tardiness does not reflect my abilities or seriousness for this mission.

• Smug
Oh, so she was one of the serious ones. Gideon wore distaste across their features for a moment.

"Tardiness would have earned you the lash from the Proctors," Gideon stood up and grabbed the travel pack from under the bed, then glowered at the girl. Deathly quiet, they stared at her for several dreadfully long seconds before grinning with straight white teeth. "Good thing times're changing, right?"

Gideon put a (now) much larger hand on her shoulder and nudged her out of the doorway, the First's touch firm but gentle. Were she to try and resist, she'd feel the weight of a boulder pushing into her. It was a strength that went beyond the taut muscles that the shapeshifter wore like armor.

"I really don't mind," they said as they stepped into the hallway, "waiting, that is. Gave me time to do a bit of questioning. They briefed you, right?"

• Thoughtful
Everleigh understood that she would be punished. Which wasn’t always an issue. It wasn’t fun to do many things unless there was a consequence, and big consequences were best. Lashes were just uncomfortable though, and not that much of a consequence.

With their hand on her shoulder, she moved, instinctively she was still poised to do so, but seeing as this was indeed Gideon, she placed her flat blade back in it’s spot. Besides, she had never felt such weight on her shoulder before, at least not from just a single hand. She proceeded to follow their large form into the hallway, prepared to walk behind them.

I see.” She said. Her voice was neutral but her eyes were wary. More so because Everleigh was used to being yelled at than talked to so casually by someone of much higher rank than her. “They did. Poison. Wrecked one small town to be completely inhabitable, and now the same signs are appearing elsewhere. I should be able to identify it if I’ve had it before. From what they told me, it sounds like it begins with their water. Both towns are of major agricultural importance to Vel Anir.

Gideon turned back, jabbed both pointers at her, and clicked his tongue.

"Yep, that's the gist. There's a bit more to it I've found out, but that can be explained on the road."

They continued through the hall and down the stairs. Gideon stopped by the bar.

"Eat anything yet? This place has a pretty shit stew, but it's filling."

He waggled his eyebrows at the bartender, whose countenance soured as if Gideon handed him a lemon wedge to suckle on.

"Anyways, you'll have to deal with it. We don't have any time," Gideon continued before Everleigh could respond and neatly placed a small stack of coins on the counter. "C'mon then."

And with a purpose in his stride exited the quaint little inn.

• Thoughtful
Everleigh took a full step back the moment Gideon turned around, a habit as if they were turning around to slug her. With his reach, a full step back wouldn’t have been enough space if that was their goal. She raised a brow curiously at his words and gestures before following him once again.

Gideon was eccentric. That was the most polite way she could put it. She wasn’t sure when their questions were genuine or just to speak. Perhaps Gideon thought it was a joke? She wondered if this was what her other classmates felt towards her when she brought up philosophical questions that had no right answer.

Yessir,” Everleigh murmured, following after him. She went straight to her horse, and untied it from the posts before climbing on top. Once settled in the saddle she waited for Gideon to lead the way.

Mounted on a large black steed, Gideon pulled ahead of Everleigh, quiet for a while as they rode through Lahiri proper.

"Y'know, there's some funny rumors about the Baron 'round these parts," Count? Baron? Lord? Whatever the title, Everleigh had been on the mark with her statement before. The villages in question were indeed key for Vel Anir's agricultural needs. They also happened to rest in the Baron's fief.

"Nasty guy, if you're to believe the rumors."

Gideon whistled as they rode towards the town's outskirts.

• Thoughtful
Everleigh was rather used to things being silent between her and others. Most people didn’t talk to her too often, especially when she was babbling some nonsense of her strange philosophies that many didn’t care for. Also, being able to expel poison from an opened mouth usually meant people were wary of being too close to her in general.

Rumors like what?” Everleigh asked, waiting a moment to see if Gideon would continue speaking. They hadn’t shared much information, although that could have just been because they were in Lahiri? Surely not because Gideon was more interested in whistling. What dreadlord did something like that?

"The kind that are usually true," the First vaguely answered.

Several minutes of silent travel took them beyond Lahiri and whatever eavesdroppers lingered within the village. Gideon was sure that if they had been followed, their tail was far enough off that they wouldn't hear what the pair had to say.

"Y'know a lot of people have gone missing from the towns in the last few years? At first, it was folks of all ages, but lately it seems that children are wandering off."

• Thoughtful
Everleigh shrugged. Rumors usually did start with some aspect of truth, the key to discovering intel often laid within figuring out much truth was actually inside the rumor. But as Gideon was a dreadlord, and at a rank she may never get due to her “limitations” in her personal magic, she didn’t question the validity of what he said.

Children?” Well, she would question that. She had killed countless youths, whether directly or indirectly with her toxins, so it’s not that children disappearing bothered her because of a moral dilemma. It was because what missing children usually implied. “How many seem to disappear at a time?

"Well, it's all hearsay. The shepherd says one thing, the farmer as well, and the miller's wife another. You get the idea," Gideon leaned back in his saddle and quietly hissed out air through the tiniest gap between his front teeth, "Were I to venture a guess, I'd say, on average about three to five. The time between disappearances is pretty consistent. The villagers whisper of ill omens, but..."

We know better, right? was the question silently posed as he turned his lithic mask of a face toward Everleigh.

Many of his cohort within the First were older Dreadlords; these men and women would hardly spare much thought to any Apprentice Dreadlord sent on assignments with them. As such, the trainees would return to the Academy with hardly anything learned, save for any observations made.

Gideon preferred to allow anyone shadowing him to assert their opinions and thoughts. Take a proactive role. It was better for their development.

• Cheer
They’re being purposely taken.” Everleigh answered. She tilted her head at this. It was a very interesting rumor, and it seemed that whatever was going on, they needed a steady supply. “Is there a age cut off?” She asked, already thinking up of different possibilities. Negative opinion on the baron, missing children, rumors of ill omens— the usual equation Everleigh was finding herself solving more and more often.

It seemed that after the revolution, the republic was finding dissent in the distant reaches of vel anir in the most unusual ways. As if there was some sort of lack of respect for the parliament so that people thought they could get away with their wicked ways.

Dreadlord Gideon?” The initiate pipped up again, giving the much larger person a glance. “If the idea that the baron needs human children, then what would be the point to poison two towns? It could be a diversion, maybe, but… the towns are close to his province, wouldn’t that just lead us right to him and suspect him?” Would a evildoer want to be a suspect? Wouldn’t he try to place the diversion further away from him?

Gideon

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
"Good question. Consider the Vel Anir of olde, where the word of the Great Houses were unwritten laws. Where, with the right connections, one could conduct any manner of business uninhibited."

And with the coming of a new age, where the Great Houses could be held accountable for their actions, the Baron had simply become a loose end needing to be tied.

"Perhaps the Baron was sold out. Perhaps not, though." Gideon glanced over his shoulder at the apprentice. She carried a good head on those shoulders. "Did you know the same river runs near both of the villages? I'd like to investigate upstream, first. Though, it's quite a ride."

Everleigh nodded her head. The way of the Noble Houses wasn’t something she was intimately familiar with, even with her time with Liliana Lorel, Everleigh had only ever picked up bits and pieces. All she had ever focused on before was the idea that she had to be the best to get picked up by a house, had to be worthy enough to garner their attention or would be faced with a fate she’d rather not think about.

Upstream would make sense,” Everleigh nodded her head, “if it’s true that the water supply has been infected.” She did look around, the area around them was quite scenic. “For the most part, I’m decent at sensing poison outside of myself.” It was something she was still honing, “but if it’s a large quantity then it should be simple.

Gideon

Gideon wanted to scoff. Of course, it made sense. One doesn't rise to the First while spouting inanities.

Instead, he thoughtfully nodded and said, "What if it's a small but particularly potent quantity?"

The reasoning behind sharing one's skills and abilities was sound, and though she'd allowed him a hint, Gideon didn't feel obliged to reciprocate. If the need arose, she would learn firsthand.

• Nervous
Everleigh debated Gideon’s question, and considered her abilities. Whenever she sensed poison it was an oily feeling in the bit of her stomach, a type of hunger that made her feel too hungry to even eat. A primordial urge that she was sure she shouldn’t have but had been a part of her for as long as she could remember. And it had only gotten worse from the moment she first put her hand in that snake hole.

She took a deep breath.

Dreadlord Gideon, honestly, I’m not sure. I apologize for my ignorance.” Everleigh said, her voice devoid of any emotion despite the fact that her eyes narrowed and it seemed she had to hold herself back from gritting her teeth.

Running water distributes toxins, but often they leave some residue in the soil. That’s often how I can catch it, but I may need to walk around a bit until I can sense it. Especially if it’s a very small amount.”

Gideon

• Thoughtful
"Ah-h-h," he nonchalantly waved a hand, "No bother. And Gideon is fine." Then with an exasperated tone, said: "Keeping up with what's proper and not is exhausting. It's not like I'm of noble stock."

He took further note of Everleigh's capabilities.

"That settles it, then. I'll be relying on you when the time comes."

They'd gotten a rather late start to their travels, and soon enough the sun began to set. After a bit of discussion, they decided to pull off the trail and set up a makeshift camp. Gideon gathered firewood while he let the initiate tend to their mounts.

When he returned to the makings of a firepit, kindling already alit, he began to build around it.

• Bless
Everleigh blinked, mild shock appearing on her face. It was rare that a dreadlord had ever told her to call them by their first name unless they had been at the academy in the same age group. And the stronger the dreadlord was, the more it seemed they desired to be called by such a title. She didn’t comment on it.

I won’t disappoint.” She said resolutely, the only thing she did feel comfortable saying.

Ever a dutiful initiate, Everleigh was prepared to complete her tasks when it came to setting up camp for the night. She had tied each horse to two separate but nearby trees. Letting their horses graze while she collected water for them. It was the standard work that every initiate was used to, and Everleigh focused on being as efficient as she could.

Somehow, for some reason, she felt like she was incredibly lacking, and couldn’t place why. She looked over at Gideon as he focused on the fire.

What level are you?” Everleigh asked brazenly.

Gideon

• Smug
"Sure, sure. Just do your best," he said, crouched by the small fire. Gideon prodded at it with a stick.

He let the inquiry hang about for a time. The Dreadlord, ever languid, never anxious or pressed for time, was content with this.

"First," he would answer plainly, not the least bit offended about the sudden and prying question, "And yours? Ah, wait—that's right. I forgot. Sorry, Initiate."

A quick glance over his shoulder at Everleigh, the man's eyes narrowing with wry mirth.

First. Everleigh’s eyes widened for a moment. She had been with many third level dreadlords, even one second level (although technically she had been with other initiates at that time) but never had she been with a first-level dreadlord. No wonder that proctor was telling her to be careful, he had doubted her.

But more shocking than the realization of how much power Gideon must wield was the fact that he had made a joke. Often times Everleigh was prone to forgetting that yes, dreadlords could have a sense of humor, too.

And so she grinned. “I’ll be first-level soon enough.” Every initiate said something similar to that degree, Everleigh was sure of it. Didn’t make it any less true when it came to her. “And then you’ll have to call me by my name.” She went over, pulling a small rucksack from her horse. “Academy gave me extra provisions.” She glanced at Gideon, “Someone as big as you eats a lot, I guess.

Gideon

• Smug
"Sure," he said with an easy smile, "Should the day come, I'll give you that respect. It would be rightly earned."

Gideon scanned their surroundings as if checking for something in particular, or awaiting something.

"Hm. You should hold onto those," he advised while looking around. "It's best to make sparing use of any provisions on missions, whether they're short or long. I'll be fine, anyway."

• Aww
Everleigh grinned, once she had dipped her head down low so he couldn’t see. While his words weren’t encouraging, he had said “should” instead of “when” and the difference in words wasn’t lost on her, she took them nonetheless as fuel for her ambitions. Yeah. She would become first-level, and then finally she’d get some respect.

She nodded her head at Gideon’s correction, before her gaze followed after his. He was looking around. Was he afraid of them getting jumped?

I can set up some simple wards.” Everleigh said, feeling the hair on the back of her neck begin to prick up, gooseflesh showing. “And I’ll stay up for the watch, sunrise will be early anyways.

Gideon

• Smug